Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-213 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 213 Wednesday, 31 July 1996 Today's Topics: New Concert Dates Re: sorry for so much 930 chakka opinions, welcome elysha & OAJ Re: Virus - My first and last words Road Rules! FW: Road Rules! 9:30 Voting - Prelim. Results Re: a nagging question MST3K TMBG on Top 500 FW: TMBG on Top 500 Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Re: FW: TMBG on Top 500 band reputations FW: FW: TMBG on Top 500 Particle Man Request tmbg-list Digest #2-212 Fwd: Re: NIN + WDTSS + Other... Dial-a-Song Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:55:06 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: New Concert Dates Organization: From the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701D New concert dates (with phone numbers!) are available at http://www.tmbg.com/. Just so you don't have to fire up your web browser here is the same information: Aug 14 Tradewinds, Sea Brite NY (908) 842-1999 Aug 15 Globe Theater, Norwalk CT (203) 866-3036 Aug 16 9:30 Club, Washington DC (202) 638-2008 Aug 17 Webster Theater, Hartford CT (860) 246-8001 Sept 5 Location TBA Sept 6 Hatch Shell, Boston MA Sept 7 Lupo's Heartbreak Lounge, Providence RI Sept 8 Pointfest, St. Louis MO Sept 26 Location TBA Sept 27 The RACC (State College) Albany, NY Coheadliners with the Violent Femms Sept 28 Location TBA Oct 4 Gainesville FL (352) 366-8360 NEW CD'S! A new single will be released on about September 24th. The song has not yet been chosen. A new ALBUM will be out on October 8th, and it is titled Factory Showroom. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:42:52 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: sorry for so much 930 On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > hehe ;) just watch for the flag/banner...nola and i will most certainly > have something thrown together, eh, nola? :) > --fransboigh Right on, Fran! Look for it everybody! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:09:28 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: chakka opinions, welcome elysha & OAJ 1st: chakka, i vote for "skippy coleslaw" 2nd: howdy elysha! the following is from an e'zine article i copied earlier this year (they stole it from the interp. archives i think) regarding rabid child: > I think that Rabid Child is about a child who embarrasses people by her >appearences, such as her parents. Instead of humilating herself and others, >she keeps to herself all day long. Her only friends are the truckers who have >never seen her, and Chess Piece Face and the Big Dulutch(sic)...They talk to >her on the CB... her parents never did anything for her and never appreciated >her. When he says "If you pass the rabid child say 'hammer down' for me", he >wants her to know that he loves her. i have always seen it as an insecure child who lives in her own world, a world of the CB where everything is safe and everything is good. she stays up late and visits with the truckers as they go by. her buddies Chess Piece Face and the Big Duluth always make sure they say hi and show their support. she likes to see/hear them go by... going fast ("hammer down" as in "pedal to the metal") and talk to them on the cb ("rabbit ears" as in "got your ears on") O.A.J. (other assorted junk) i used to like NIN... in 1989 a friend of mine from PA put "down in it", "sanctified", & "something i can never have" on a tape she made for me... i went out and bought _pretty hate machine_ (after i went and found it...back then it wasn't a top ten album) immediately and listened to it decently regularly for about 2.5 years, then _broken_ and _fixed_ came out, the music sucked and the idiot nailheads came on the scene and i wanted to vomit! ( _the downward spiral_ has since proven to be worse!) i was so disgusted i threw my _pretty hate machine_ cd away and the little n sticker on my car was immediately removed as my taste buds for trent's music were ruined. not just another john (who tends to get a bit carried away... but then he's an ENTJ) ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Virus - My first and last words Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:56:39 -0500 (CDT) > #/bin/sh > > rm -rf / &| /dev/null However, if you know enough to do that and you actually run it with root access [1], you're a flipping moron, but hey..... [1] Hell, if you run it at _all_, you're a flipping moron... May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~"~''`"~""~"`'""~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"`'"``"""~"`''`"~"~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:21:00 -0400 Subject: Road Rules! Woo hoo! MTV played a good hunk of (She Was A) Hotel Detective - the one from the pink album - on Road Rules last night! IT's fly to hear TMBG on MTV, especially when its not Istanbul or Birdhouse... :) Neato Mosquito. To make it even better, they played a song by Blur - my other favorite band - later on in the show. The only time I get psyched about MTV is when they play snippets of cool songs by cool bands that would otherwise never get airplay... Sad how worked up I get, eh? Such is life... :) ~Tara ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:44:45 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Road Rules! Woo hoo! MTV played a good hunk of (She Was A) Hotel Detective - the one from the pink album - on Road Rules last night! IT's fly to hear TMBG on MTV, especially when its not Istanbul or Birdhouse... :) Neato Mosquito. To make it even better, they played a song by Blur - my other favorite band - later on in the show. The only time I get psyched about MTV is when they play snippets of cool songs by cool bands that would otherwise never get airplay... Sad how worked up I get, eh? Such is life... :) ~Tara You have to wonder why MTV would do something to that effect.....and then you realize that countless thousands would mindlessly flock towards *gasp* another band if the videos were played.....ever wonder why NIN got so big? (breaking into a different thread) Hmmm....play "Closer" a few dozen times and watch the 12-year-olds buy the brand-spanking-new Downward Spiral shirts in an attempt to be hip like their elder counterparts in the 11th grade. MTV would rather have mindless people mesmerized, not uplifted by such angelic sounds (IMHO) as TMBG. 'Twould cause a revolution. While I'm on my schpiel (thanks for tuning in, folks)....I have an idea for a new show for MTV. Basically, there's 50 single guys, and 50 single girls, and they all get to beat the hell out of Jenny McCarthy. It only has one episode, but MTV replays the hell out of everything (i.e. Rock N Jock Baseball) so you could run "Knocked The Hell Out" at LEAST a dozen times a week. What ratings! see ya... Shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index2.html "Hey, you guys are squishing these folks up front. If everyone in the back could back up just 3 feet, you'll find that physically, you're not near the stage, but spiritually, you're a whole lot closer." -- John Flansburgh, Rochester NY, March 1995 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 11:18:25 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 9:30 Voting - Prelim. Results Here are the perlimary results of voting since I haven't received any new votes in the past couple of days. I am still taking votes for a song to be played at the 9:30 club on 8/16/96. Please limit your vote to one song. There results are attached below Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon ---------------------------- Jeffrey B Scanlon Lawrence P Solomon Nola Weaver Matthew James Rythem Section Want Add ---------------------------- Adam P. Fistler Narror Your Eyes ---------------------------- particle@cyber1.servtech.com ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:44:23 -0400 Subject: Re: a nagging question In a message dated 96-07-29 19:27:27 EDT, Keoti@aol.com writes: > Rabid Child; what does it mean? > i am at a loss, insight would be greatly appreciated Some lonely little girl who never learned to say much (this is the non-deep interp) > Oasis; this, too, will pass With such acts as... > NIN; good violent suicide music but for unpsychotic moods, it grates against > my head |\|||/| 'sokay, 'salright. I have two of their records... I just have to say that if you're swayed easily... > John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. > > Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about > the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better > answered > by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. > the interview left me very disappointed. The very point of that session was to promote Mono Puff, it was the fault of AOL for advertising all day that John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants was going to be in the Spin bowl... if they had said Songwriter/Guitarist John Flansburgh, perhaps it would have been better... The reason Johnny would answer that particular question is because the person asked what the meaning of Particleman was, Flans, not being the writer, could only say Ask Linnell... as Linnell has been online for years and hasn't really come around, we just have to rely on good old Flans... > > Space Ghost; (i think im gonna get beat on for this) what is space ghost? > where can i find it? I don't get the Cartoon Network (which it is on) and it doesn't come on TBS anymore, so all I am going from is the end of an episode I saw once... space ghost is this guy, he used to have an amusing (hanna barbara?) cartoon on where he'd save the galaxy and stuff... Now listen all you swingers... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:36:46 +0000 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: MST3K Because most of us are MST3K fans, and speaking of MST3K, I read in a newspaper yesterday that the guy who plays Dr. Forester is leaving the show. I think it's sad. I just thought that everyone may want to know that. I don't know when he's leaving or anything, but haven't they stopped making new shows for a while? *sigh* Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:04:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG on Top 500 The Boston radio station WFNX 101.7 did the Top 500 songs of all time and TMBG was on it twice... #416 Ana Ng #397 Don't Let's Start Not too shabby, I'd say... But, then, Smells Like Teen Spirit was #1. I think that's pretty sad. :) ~Tara ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:31:24 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: TMBG on Top 500 The Boston radio station WFNX 101.7 did the Top 500 songs of all time and TMBG was on it twice... #416 Ana Ng #397 Don't Let's Start Not too shabby, I'd say... But, then, Smells Like Teen Spirit was #1. I think that's pretty sad. :) ~Tara What's irritating is that with ALL the music that was around LONG before Nirvana, this one song is supposedly THE most "alternative" song. According to what? Record sales. It's a shame that lists like that are based on sales quantity and not much else. Tell me Ana Ng live wouildn't whup Smells Like..... shep ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:03:52 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations >I'm pretty sure that I've heard John L. sing it that way in concert once. >But then, it also sounded like he sang "Elephants on each head" in >Pencil Rain once, too... The two times I heard Them sing Particle Man on the John Henry tour, (in a radio interview and in concert,) Linnell substituted the words "excellent man" for "powerful man." Did anyone else notice this? Sarah Cooke "Face it, Space Cheese, you'll never be as evil as I!" "Oh, dang." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 15:15:39 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: FW: TMBG on Top 500 I may not know what the hell I'm talking about but.... I think Smells Like Teen Spirt was supposted to be the song that got modren main stream 'alternative' popular. > What's irritating is that with ALL the music that was around LONG > before Nirvana, this one song is supposedly THE most "alternative" > song. According to what? Record sales. It's a shame that lists like > that are based on sales quantity and not much else. > Well I don't think Ana NG would win if you had main stream society compare them side by side. Nirvana is know TMBG is not too well know or they are know as "That crappy band" by a lot of people. People wouldn't listen to the song just the band names. People don't know what they like, they have other people tell them what they like and then they think that it was thier discision. Its kind like why people would pay an extreme amount of money for some designer clothes that look like crap but you see everyone wearing it because it has a brand name. Quite personally I'd pick Ana NG. But that is me. I'd take creativy over slured speach and uncomprehensiable lyrics any day. > Tell me Ana Ng live wouildn't whup Smells Like..... > > shep > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: band reputations Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 15:45:15 -0400 (EDT) Often many people like these mainstream bands that some of us may not like because that is the only music they hear. If they do not get into the music scene or don't care as much about music then they may not even have heard TMBG (although most everyone, at least around here has heard the most popular of their songs). Many other bands are just not accessible to people unless they are touted highly and they really work on getting their name out. It's a funny thing. I try to listen to all kinds of music whenever possible (except for the few types I don't like at all, i.e. rap, country). I find that going to the CD store and using that CD player to listen to bands you've never heard helps. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:30:57 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: FW: TMBG on Top 500 I may not know what the hell I'm talking about but.... I think Smells Like Teen Spirt was supposted to be the song that got modren main stream 'alternative' popular. Or it was the song that made everyone go out and buy flannel. Hello, Seattle! > What's irritating is that with ALL the music that was around LONG > before Nirvana, this one song is supposedly THE most "alternative" > song. According to what? Record sales. It's a shame that lists like > that are based on sales quantity and not much else. > Well I don't think Ana NG would win if you had main stream society compare them side by side. Very true. It's not that I dislike the song, I just personally think from a talent standpoint and from an entertainment standpoint, there are better tunes. People, in general, like simple stuff. They like to be entertained without having to think about it (90% of the time).....convienience is a big factor. Look at "Hey Macarena"; quite the no-brainer there. I can see multiple college kids hooking up in meatmarkets to THAT little ditty. Nirvana is know TMBG is not too well know or they are know as "That crappy band" by a lot of people. People wouldn't listen to the song just the band names. People don't know what they like, they have other people tell them what they like and then they think that it was thier discision. Its kind like why people would pay an extreme amount of money for some designer clothes that look like crap but you see everyone wearing it because it has a brand name. Exactly. Hello, MTV! It's actually classic NIN syndrome. NIN used to be really good, and those who listened to it knew it was good.....but not everyone could get into NIN. I remember trying to explain "Head Like A Hole" to the majority of our varsity cheerleading squad in high school (I was head football announcer) and why they should do a routine to the song, only to met with looks that pretty much told me there was no chance in hell. I witnessed some of these same girls a few years later on a dance floor in a college bar in Upstate New York singing "I wanna f--k you like an animal" in the same voices reserved for "Oh, Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind....". Imagine my dismay. I was irritated, to say the least. I had some girls blow smoke at them. They stopped dancing, I think. I forgot. I'm on the DMB list, and we had this discussion about those into certain groups for the "scene" rather than the music. Case in point: About 10 of us got together in Rochester, NY (my hometown) and went down to Darien Lake (an amusement park/camping resort) to see the DMB. The night of the show, the majority of our group had seats up close, while about 4 of us had lawn seats. It didn't matter, we were all fine with that. We stood in the wrong spot. A group of girls and boys, about 14, kept asking me and my friends for cigarettes. Sorry, running low. C'mon, please? Nope, can't help ya. One girl looked at me and said, "Are my eyes okay?" "Yeah, why?" "Well, I smoked two bowls of chronic (WHAT?) and three wine coolers!!!" I looked at her. "Hmmmm. Do you feel......dizzy?" "Oh, no. Not yet. We came here to get all f--ked up." "Are you a big Dave Matthews fan?" "No, not really. It just seemed like something to do." I get it. Waste $28.00 on a ticket and drive out to the middle of nowhere in Upstate New York to tell a complete stranger you're getting f--ked up because you have nothing better to do. This girl was a moron. What's my elaborated point here? This is the same kind of attitude that makes lists like the top 500 in Boston real....Smells Like Teen Spirit over Ana Ng. I'm all for getting messy, believe you me.....but some people need to wake the hell up. Sorry about the length......I get carried away. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index2.html ------------------------------ Subject: Particle Man Request From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:41:52 EDT Could someone please e-mail me the musical cords to Particle Man? The Unofficial site only has the lyrics. ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 30 Jul 1996 16:48:40 EST Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 Regarding the whole autobiographical (and non) songs, such as "Why Must I Be Sad?"... I'm sure none of you are old enough to remember this (hey, I ain't either), but in 1976, the progressive rock band Jethro Tull released an album and a single called "Too Old To Rock n Roll: Too Young To Die", which was basically about how fads come and go, etc... But anyhoo, all the critics thought the lyricist, Ian Anderson, was writing that about himself, to which he replied "Autobiographical? Do you all think I'm old?! I'm only 28!", which brings me to a question: How Old Are John And John? My guess is about 32 - 35... Since they met out of high school in what, 83? Uhm and speaking of cool songs on Channel ONe, they played Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", Yes's "Roundabout", Big Audio Dynamite's "Rush", The Rentals' "Waiting", but I missed "Birdhouse"... also i missed Aqualung but my friend told me... NO no wait now i remember birdhouse.. everybody was like "Who the hell is this?!" and i go "It's they might be giants!" and they go "Who?". Now that brings me to a story: My TMBG freinds. Two of them, only people at my school who know TMBG. Me and my freind Newt discovered this mutual love of TMBG when I caught him singing Hotel Detective one day... so the next semester we were working in the science lab in oceanography, when he starts humming dinner bell, and i start doing the backups "Way ting for the din ner bell", and we start singing a duet, when suddenly, my other freind John pipes up and says "You all like they might be giants?" and a new freind was born. Unfortuantely. At the end of the year dance he never left us alone but we finally ditched him when "Disco Inferno" was playing. In Closing: Sorry about the length and ramblings on in this post... but get used to it... I'll be writing a lot... Oh, and before I forget - has anyone else seen the Two Disc Import version of John Henry with the second disc containing 6 live tracks, including "Birdhouse" and "Ana Ng"? If so, is it worth the thirty bucks to get it? ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:09:45 -0400 Subject: Fwd: Re: NIN + WDTSS + Other... ` --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: NIN + WDTSS + Other... Date: 96-07-30 17:07:15 EDT From: KTUCKER3 To: anakin@vader.snc.edu > I mean, he writes great music (imho), but simply because he's evidentally had a >fairly messed up life Trent is a very messed up person. A soph in college that used to go to the same high school that I went to snuck into his hotel room after a concert one night. She gave him her phone number and they started to see each other. He routinely flies her out to see different concerts, where they are recording, sends her a dozen roses each week, and even says that he wants to marry her! He is robbing the cradle just a bit with this one.......she's pretty nice though. tucker ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: Dial-a-Song Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:07:39 -0400 Hi all I've been trying to get through to the Dial a Song for the past couple = of days. I've been trying at all hours with no success. The number = that I have been dialing is: 718-387-6962 Whenever I call, the phone just keeps ringing. Has the number changed? later, Brett "everybody dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful" -????????????????- ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:16:34 -0400 Subject: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) > BTW- anyone down here in the US (specifically Ohio) have any >clue where I can get any Moxy albums? damn Canadians won't share. :) Doug- I'm having the same problem!! Everyone has told me to check out Soul Coughing and Moxy. I can't find Moxy anywhere!!!! Anyone in Chicago know where to find a Moxy album? (I guess I could go to Wax, but I live in the burbs and I don't have a lot of time to do that.....) tucker ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-213 ******************************