Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-214 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 214 Thursday, 1 August 1996 Today's Topics: ages They Got Lost Nirvana radio, radio Stump the Band Rubiyat Power Rangers soundtrack trainspotting They Might Be Roaches Re: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 AOL Chat Re: your mail FW: some really unrelated stuff (i.e. Soul Coughing) Re: FW: TMBG on Top 500 FW: your mail Space Ghost on the Web Mono Puff Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-213 YAY! Space Ghost on the Web re: tmbg list digest #2-213 Administrivia tmbg FW: YAY! The Downward Spiral...of music Re: Nirvana On the topic of The Power of Dial a Song Re: The Downward Spiral...of music Power of DAS FW: The Downward Spiral...of music Sighting!! Universe Man at the mall!!! FW: YAY! The Downward Spiral...of music Re: The Downward Spiral...of music Re: Rubiyat Re: tmbg Jethro Tull and TMBG bye for now I'll be back. TMBG Cartoons Re: TMBG Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew James Subject: ages Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:35:35 -0400 (EDT) Well Linnell just turned 37 this year and Flans is 36 I believe. Could Heather from Thunder Bay mail me? (sounds like a tv show hehe) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:37:11 +0400 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: They Got Lost "They Got Lost" Julie at the station says They'll be here any minute now but she's running out of records and her show is ending anyhow. They can hear her saying Their name on the car radio but the signal keeps fading out no matter which way They go. I heard They might be somewhere near this town. They Might Be Giants got lost driving around. John said to John, "I think we make a left at the light. There should be a big B assuming this map is right." John looked over and said, "Hey, no its not! It's a crumpled up wrapper from the fast food that we got!" I heard They might be somewhere near this town. They Might Be Giants got lost driving around. Graham said to Brian, "I see somebody walking this way." So they rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey! Could you tell us where we are and the best way out of here?" They could tell from his face he had absolutely no idea. I heard They might be somewhere near this town. They Might Be Giants got lost driving around. driving around driving around They're still driving around. -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:02:19 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: Nirvana well, i have to comment about Nirvana here, since they're my favorite band. i have to defend them, mostly because Kurt would be disgusted about Teen Spirit being #1 on ANY alternative countdown. Kurt didn't want his music to be mainstream--he hated it. And that's part of the reason he offed himself. i don't know why Teen Spirit would be considered the king or definition of "alternative". the press gave Kurt the nickname "spokesperson for the X- generation". in a magazine he was quoted as saying "i don't want to be no f**king spokesperson". i have 15 Nirvana albums, and none of their songs make me think "wow, a lot of people think like these lyrics and ideas, they just don't say them aloud". no one speaks for me but me, and i think the idea of a musician being labeled as a spokesperson for my generation is an insult to my intelligence. but the fact is, Kurt was only a spokesperson for himself. i think Nirvana changed where music was heading as far as what is popular or alternative, but i don't like that they're so mainstream. i'm glad people like them, but i wish there weren't so many. Kurt might still be alive. it seems to me, though, that Kurt could've done things to avoid so much popularity. don't make videos. don't sign to a major label. Kurt said himself, though, that the only reason they signed to a major label was to make sure he could get their records to small towns like the one he lived in. i don't think Nirvana being high in greatness on the alternative scale is an insult--they could've done much worse. i don't know what song i would pick as king of alternative, if any. maybe there isn't one song. or band. i'm sure everyone has their own. sorry about the length. hope ya'll read this. i type slow. Chakka "rather be dead than cool" -Kurt ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:36:36 -0400 (EDT) Subject: radio, radio >If there is anyone who lives in the Philadelphia or New >York (or Boston for that matter) area who knows of any station that plays >TMBG, > >oh yeah any other 'whose line is it anyway' fans ? WDRE (Lawn Gisland) used to play them on occasion, but I think they changed their format...Once in awhile you'll hear them on FM 106.3 New Jersey, which used to be a kickass station until "alternative" became mainstream and the world went topsy-turvy. Now you'll hear the same shitty boring REM songs there as well as on the big Top 40 stations in NYC. Whew! Glad to vent all that! I used to watch Whose Line...? all the time; found it ironic that the funniest people on it were the Americans and the Canadian guy (w/ some exceptions: Stephen Fry, that short guy named Tony, and of course Peter Cook was on once). The best bit is when they do the prop jokes. They gave Stephen Fry a sheet of bubble-pop packing material and he said, "I don't know...60 Dr. Who villains out of this?" stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:41:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Stump the Band I've only seen them play STB once or twice. It really disappointed me when they stopped. The first time I saw them when they didn't, they instead got a radio and fiddled w/ the dial till they found a song to copy. Wasn't half as much fun. I also wish they'd play NYC more often, considering they live here and all.. (although, I must admit, when they do play here, it's usually pretty cheap-- $3 last summer in Prospect Park!) Why am I writing so much tonight? This is getting addictive. stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:17:56 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Rubiyat >When you >actually own Rubiyat, XTC Tribute, Power Rangers and Carmen Sandiego? I have 3 of those and, pardon my ignorance, want to know what Rubiyat is! (No, I'm not obsessive!) stevie. P.S. I've noticed I'm not the only one who claimed XTC as favorite band until TMBG came along. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:21:23 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Power Rangers soundtrack >Damn, a new version of Sensurround -- now am I going to have to go buy >the stupid Power Rangers soundtrack for the other version? > For $5 I found a promotional issue preview of the MMPR soundtrack containing 4 songs: Sensurround, Are You Ready? (DEVO), Trouble (Shampoo), and Kung Fu Dancing (who cares?) While this may have been a rare find, the first 3 songs mentioned are definitely worth getting the whole soundtrack. stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:24:25 -0400 (EDT) Subject: trainspotting >For those who >are Scottish hearing impaired, bring your babel fish for Begbie, he is >completely undecipherable. Begbie?!! What about Spud?!! I agree. Great flick! (Crappy techno music, tho) Seen "Shallow Grave"? stevie. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:50:13 -0400 From: "The Real Mr. Klaw" Subject: They Might Be Roaches I was watching parts of Joe's Apartement...you know, the movie about the guy who lives with a bunch of singing cockroaches. Anyway, there is a scene where his place is being shot up by a couple of thugs, and in two shots, you can clearly see one of the orange They Might Be Giants stickers stuck to the wall. It is visible for only a split second as it is blown away by gun fire. It caught my eye right away, and made me jump up and down, disturbing both of the people watching the movie. Alex ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) Date: 31 Jul 1996 04:44:11 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Moxy is great!!! I got my copy in a Borders store. You have any over there? They're called Borders Books and Music and they've got lots of music you won't find anywhere else (I just bought an album of ten Elvis songs sung in Latin). If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd recommend talking to your local friendly Tape and CD seller, and asking them to order it. Most places will order anything you want. BUT-- Moxy's last album ("Wood" I think it's called (?)) is harder to find 'cause I don't think it was released in the US. But look for "Bargainville" 'cause it's real good! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 23:29 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 > Now that brings me to a story: My TMBG freinds. Two of them, only >people at my school who know TMBG. Me and my freind Newt discovered this >mutual love of TMBG when I caught him singing Hotel Detective one day... There are only four people (as far as I know) at my school, one of which I got into them. I descovered the other two one day as I was walking past Rocky's locker and overheard him humming the melodic strains of "Particle Man." I joined in automatically, and a beautiful friendship was born. :) I then learned that my long time aquaintance Phil was a giant head when he overheard me and Angie singing "Dead" in the hallway. Ah, TMBG, the bonds you create among high school students. About Channel One: Phil and I are still waiting for the day they'll play "Anarchy In the U.K." as buffer music. Hee hee... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 01:02:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 > How Old Are John And John? Linnell just turned 34 in June, and Flansburgh is 33. Not sure when his b-day is, though. > Oh, and before I forget - has anyone else seen the Two Disc > Import version of John Henry with the second disc containing 6 live > tracks, including "Birdhouse" and "Ana Ng"? If so, is it worth the > thirty bucks to get it? > No, but I'd spend the $30 to get it :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:38:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: AOL Chat > >John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. >Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about >the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better answered >by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. >the interview left me very disappointed. > Okay. (1) The chat was a *Mono Puff* chat. Both of the chats JF has done recently (AOL and Sonicnet) were, AFAIK, about Mono Puff. Obviously, TMBG questions couldn't be ignored, but Mono Puff was supposed to be the focus. (2) It's pretty hard for JF to answer a question about a song *he didn't write.* The song in question was "They'll Need A Crane," which was written by John Linnell. JL wouldn't be able to answer what Puppethead is about, because Flans wrote it. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: your mail Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:00:17 -0500 (CDT) > Not too shabby, I'd say... But, then, Smells Like Teen Spirit was #1. I > think that's pretty sad. > (etc...) > Tell me Ana Ng live wouildn't whup Smells Like..... To me, the two (TMBG & Nirvana) are really on two seperate planes of music... It would be really hard for me to pick between the two (Ana Ng and Smells Like) because I love each of them very intensely... (To make a pertinant analogy, although not very accurate:) It's kind of like when people start comparing jazz musicians to classical musicians... A lot of times, you hear people saying "Well, put him in front of an orchestra, and _then_ we'll see how good he is" [1]... The problem with this is that we're talking about two completely different styles and methods of music, so comparing the two on a one-to-one basis is rather difficult...... Now, 'bout the Nirvana being "alternative," yeah, that's a crock... Probably should have been named "Most popular", not "most alternative", or whatever... -CJ [1] Talking about a jazz musician. May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~"~''`"~""~"`'""~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"`'"``"""~"`''`"~"~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 07:33:00 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: some really unrelated stuff (i.e. Soul Coughing) Doug- I'm having the same problem!! Everyone has told me to check out Soul Coughing and Moxy. I can't find Moxy anywhere!!!! Anyone in Chicago know where to find a Moxy album? (I guess I could go to Wax, but I live in the burbs and I don't have a lot of time to do that.....) tucker SOUL COUGHING! First mention I've heard of this amazing band on the list....I have their first release "Ruby Vroom" and it is worth the money spent, believe you me. The new album, "Irresistable Bliss" came out in early July, and from what I've heard of that, it's a little more understandable than RV which is completely abstract in lyrical content. That sounds like an odd description, but when you hear the release, you'll completely understand. I first saw Soul Coughing on Beavis and Butthead, of all places, on the video for "Down To This"......B and B weren't making fun of it, though. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index2.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:25:25 +0600 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: FW: TMBG on Top 500 >The Boston radio station WFNX 101.7 did the Top 500 songs of all time and >TMBG was on it twice... >#416 Ana Ng >#397 Don't Let's Start >Not too shabby, I'd say... But, then, Smells Like Teen Spirit was #1. I >think that's pretty sad. >:) >~Tara As I said earlier chicago's Q101 just did the same thing this weekend. Birdhouse in You Soul was #84...I don't know if any other songs were on(only really heard the last 20), but it wouldn't surprise me if our two radio stations used the same list. -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 07:39:09 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: your mail > Not too shabby, I'd say... But, then, Smells Like Teen Spirit was #1. I > think that's pretty sad. > (etc...) > Tell me Ana Ng live wouildn't whup Smells Like..... To me, the two (TMBG & Nirvana) are really on two seperate planes of music... It would be really hard for me to pick between the two (Ana Ng and Smells Like) because I love each of them very intensely... (To make a pertinant analogy, although not very accurate:) It's kind of like when people start comparing jazz musicians to classical musicians... A lot of times, you hear people saying "Well, put him in front of an orchestra, and _then_ we'll see how good he is" [1]... The problem with this is that we're talking about two completely different styles and methods of music, so comparing the two on a one-to-one basis is rather difficult...... Okay, but that wasn't what I meant. I probably worded it incorrectly. Here's what I mean: You obviously can't compare the two songs like that. A blatantly obvious point. However (this is where it gets odd...bear with me) if you put Ana Ng on a "good/bad" spectrum for that variety of music, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the same spectrum for THAT variety, you'd see that Ana Ng ranks way ahead. if this next part doesn't look right on your e-mail, bear with me. It's a crappy visual aid. |--------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------Ana Ng------------| Bad Good |------------------------------------------Smells Like Teen Spirit------------------------------| Bad Good Now, 'bout the Nirvana being "alternative," yeah, that's a crock... Probably should have been named "Most popular", not "most alternative", or whatever... Exactly. shep http://www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index2.html ------------------------------ From: justin@csgi.com (Justin Higgins) Subject: Space Ghost on the Web Date: 31 Jul 1996 12:55:50 GMT Organization: digitalNATION Internet Services I've noticed a few discussions about Space Ghost. In case this hasn't already been mentioned, you can access the Space Ghost website at http://www.spaceghost.com. Its a very funny site, especially the MPEGs. -Justin =========================================================== Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com =========================================================== ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Mono Puff Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 12:28:27 -0500 Someone sent me this from a web page about Mono Puff. I think people will find in interesting, although it is slightly long. (Lots of it was written by John Flansburgh about the Mono Puff CD "Unsupervised" ENJOY! Ana Ng > MONO PUFF > c/o Rykodisc > Shetland Park > 27 Congress Street > Salem, Massachusetts 01970 > > Career Objective > > To spread sunshine into the world through the June > 11th release of Mono Puff's UNSUPERVISED. Willing to > travel extensively, beginning with an east coast tour > in late June and a national tour in September. > > Recording Experience > > John Flansburgh 1987 - present > They Might Be Giants > Guitarist/Vocalist. Co-founding member (with John > Linnell) of leading rock iconoclasts They Might Be > Giants. Massachusetts-raised, Brooklyn resident. > Independent thinker with heightened creativity, > strong entrepeneurial impulses (see Hello CD of the > Month Club) and poor spelling habits. > > Hal Cragin 1991 - present > The Iggy Pop Band > Session veteran and bassist currently recording and > touring with Godfather of Punk Iggy Pop. Handled > bass-playing chores for the new wave band Rubber Rodeo. > Massachusetts-raised, New York City resident. A team > player with heavy chops and outstanding hair. Gives > credit where it is due. > > Steve Calhoon 1995 - present > Skeleton Key > Drummer for Capitol Records recording act Skeleton Key. > Born in Texas, raised in D.C., lives in Manhattan's > Hell's Kitchen, where his strong people skills and > classical music training stand him in good stead. > > Related Rock Experience > > Video Director 1992 - present > John Flansburgh has directed rock videos for They Might > Be Giants, Frank Black and Edwyn Collins. > > Indie Rock Idealist 1993 - present > Hello CD of the Month Club > John Flansburgh (with Marjorie Galen) also currently > runs the Hello CD of the Month Club, an independent > recording company that has released over 30 CD EPs in > the last three years, including discs by the Residents, > Freedy Johnston, Andy Partridge, John Linnell, Mac from > Superchunk, and Scott McCaughey with Peter Buck. This > year=92s discs include Soul Coughing and Gordon Gano. > > References (Cultural) > > Cafe Bustelo, Dick Dale, The Halderman Diaries, Doc > Ellis, Bill Lee, Jimmy Webb, The Byrds, Charlie Daniels > Band, WFMU, Gary Glitter, The Twilight Zone, HiFi test > records, Ska mix tapes, Betty Wright. > > > >---------------New Article--------------- > > > > > A Guided Tour of > Mono Puff's UNSUPERVISED > > by John Flansburgh > > > > First, I want to thank you for checking out this > new recording by my band Mono Puff. Many of the > songs were previously recorded for EP's I've > released on the Hello CD of the Month Club. We > also recorded a few covers that we thought were > interesting and relatively unheard. After a > short period of rehearsals and performing, our > goal was to record the music as spontaneously as > possible. The process was very much in the > spirit of recording in the seventies -- with a > live band playing together and key overdubs > added for spice. We recorded the majority of the > songs over one weekend, and mixed it over another, > and we had a great time. Hope you dig it too. > > "Guitar Was The Case" > All hail Dick Dale! This song is a surf guitar duel >between me > (on the right speaker) and Mike Viola of the Candy >Butchers (on > the left speaker). It also introduces the awesome >boogie-power > of the rhythm section: Mr. Hal Cragin (Iggy Pop) and >Mr. Steve > Calhoon (Skeleton Key). > > "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" > The title track is about my memory and memory loss. I >wrote this > as an anthem for the under-caffeinated. > > "Don't Break The Heart" > I first heard this song covered by a few different fema= le > singers in downtown NYC, and finally realized it wasn't= a > SoCal-rock standard but the work of a great local >songwriter > named Amy Rigby. World famous Blue-Jay Jay Sherman-Godf= rey > delivers the Frippertronic solo. > > "Distant Antenna" > This recording was cooked up quite spontaneously at >the end of > the marathon tracking session at Unique Studio in >Times Square. > Romanian-born actress Elina Lowensohn, star of Nadja= and a > number of Hal Hartley films did the voice-over. There >are no > samples or loops, just real records scratching along, >and live > radios being tuned. > > "The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Rocking)" > When first putting the group together, we needed some >quick and > easy songs to fill out the set. This two chord wonder w= as > originally recorded in demo form by the legendary, >now-defunct > New England combo The Clamdiggers. Mike was channeling >Eddie Van > Halen during this take. > > "What Bothers The Space Man?" > This track ponders the current mental state of >baseball legend > Bill "Spaceman" Lee who back in the seventies had a >couple of > great controversial seasons with the very conservative >Boston > Red Sox. "Doc" Ellis, the only player to pitch a >no-hitter on > LSD, is also cited in the song. > > "Hello Hello" > When Marjorie Galen and I first started Hello CD of >the Month > Club, producer Joshua Fried suggested we do a disc of >"Hello" > songs -- or maybe he just wanted an excuse to cover >this song. > Originally recorded as an over-the-top Glam-rock >number by Gary > Glitter, this track bears little resemblance in tone to= the > original. > > "Dr. Kildare" > Another largely instrumental rave-up. > > "So Long, Mockingbird" > This was intended to be a group a cappella number, but >it was > obvious that the fellas felt funny singing without thei= r > instruments, so we did it this way. That=92s Hal at the >mighty > Hammond B3 organ. > > "Careless Santa" > This holiday tale of misadventure was recorded for the >Hello > Santa Special CD last Christmas. This track is the firs= t > finished product of my drum looping session with Yuval >Gabay > from Soul Coughing. > > "Don't I Have The Right?" > I wrote this song a couple of years ago for >performance artist > Iris Rose's Torch Song show at La Mama. It is a radical > departure, even for this record, but Nancy Lynn Howell'= s > beautiful vocal brings the song to life. > > "To Serve Mankind" > Those are human voices, but they were recorded one >note at a > time in the late sixties. The vocals are being played= on an > early version of a sampler called a Melotron. The Briti= sh > company was put out of business in the early '70s >after a few > short years when the UK musician union deemed they >were losing > jobs to the machine. The vibe of this track harkens >back to that > time of HiFi test records and the brief period of popul= ar > interest in experimental electronic music. > > "Nixon's The One" > We close the album and climb out of the Mono Puff time >machine > to ponder how history will judge America's most evil >President, > Richard M. Nixon. ------------------------------ From: cableguy@sprynet.com Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:59:41 -0700 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-213 please take me off both mailing lists! they are destroying my mailbox!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:16:02 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: YAY! I found the Istanbul (NC) single! Yahoo! Whoopee! Alright! It roks tha house! I'm urging EVERYONE on the list to GO to your local record stores and LOOK for TMBG stuff! For some reason people on the list are finding stuff lately. *Bejezus does a happy little dance* Brother JohnBejezus ps- can't wait to hear the "new new new" James K. Polk "People, *please*, if you keep watching them, they'll just keep making them!! Use your heads !! I don't watch music videos, cause that's when Hee-Haw's on !!" - Bruce McCulloch ------------------------------ From: justin@csgi.com (Justin Higgins) Subject: Space Ghost on the Web Date: 31 Jul 1996 12:55:50 GMT Organization: digitalNATION Internet Services Sorry, I mistyped that last message. Then actual address for the official Space Ghost site is http://www.ghostplanet.com. -Justin =========================================================== Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com =========================================================== ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:20:09 -0400 Subject: re: tmbg list digest #2-213 well then.. another of these long fragmented responses: The Dead- was at a show once and heard someone proclaim They were the new dead.. when asked why he responded- "well, um, theyre fun to follow..." yeah. nirvana/stump- the two worlds have met! They did indeed cover smells like teen spirit once when they were takeing requests on k-rock. john knows not the words but its still pretty funny.. that song just cries out for an accordian (i have stumpbox, a tape of various spin the dials n stuff that i'll trade for other They stuff*end gratuitous commercial*). would love to hear em do people are strange by the doors.. now to hear nirvana play ana ng.. that would be interesting... NYC radio- i have yet to find a station here that actually plays tmbg. i live in manhattan. i pretty much ignore the radio except for npr. i think They used to do stuff on k-rock sometimes but not when i was listening =p i did hear the 4 lads (original istanbul guys) a few days ago.. whose line is this anyway?- wow! ive seen that... on comedy central.. its a really cool improv show. anyone who lives in ny should also check out chicago city limits lyrics- i sorta thought he was saying "human hair" once but decided id immagined it.. hmph! on this other tape i know he's NOT saying "broken record" but i cant tell what he is saying.. sounds as bad as my little sister (9).. "someone stuck their fingers in the presidents ears and it wasnt too much later they came out.. his mouth?! eeew, gross!" and as hard as she tries she just cant get down WDTSS? "the sun is a mass of ingongestant gass a gigantic nukyular furnace... where hydrion is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees below" well, sorry this is long again... forceing TMBG on the young since.. damn, i forget!, liz "i really wish you could see the color of john's face right now" john linnell, after smells like tean spirit ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:32:06 -0400 (EDT) From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:32:12 -0400 (EDT) From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: tmbg >From: Sirglobe@aol.com >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:38:27 -0400 >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: tmbg > >TMBG will be playing The Globe Theatre in Norwalk, CT on Thurs. Aug. 15. > Please pass this info on to all Giant heads. >Thanks, >Sirglobe > -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:48:58 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: YAY! I found the Istanbul (NC) single! Yahoo! Whoopee! Alright! It roks tha house! I'm urging EVERYONE on the list to GO to your local record stores and LOOK for TMBG stuff! For some reason people on the list are finding stuff lately. *Bejezus does a happy little dance* Like I always say, track #5 on that rocks the house. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:06:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: The Downward Spiral...of music >We stood in the wrong spot. A group of girls and boys, about 14, kept > asking me and my friends for cigarettes. Sorry, running low. C'mon, > please? Nope, can't help ya. >One girl looked at me and said, "Are my eyes okay?" "Yeah, why?" > "Well, I smoked two bowls of chronic (WHAT?) and three wine coolers!!!" >I looked at her. "Hmmmm. Do you feel......dizzy?" >"Oh, no. Not yet. We came here to get all f--ked up." >"Are you a big Dave Matthews fan?" >"No, not really. It just seemed like something to do." >I get it. Waste $28.00 on a ticket and drive out to the middle of > nowhere in Upstate New York to tell a complete stranger you're getting > f--ked up because you have nothing better to do. This girl was a moron. And the sad thing is, there's millions of other teenagers out there with that same stupid attitude. (And I am one, so I should know. :( [a teenager, that is, not a teenager with that attitude. :) ]) These people listen to whatever the radio throws at them. To quote XTC's Andy Partridge on this subject: "Everything you eat is waste, but swallowing is easy when it has no taste..." Of all the teens I know, I know two who have somewhat independent music tastes (both like the Beatles; one used to be a TMBG fan as well.) Two others listen to at least something of substance in addition to the crap: one listens to Rush and the other to the blues. What's my point? Most of the music industry cares only about money, and teenagers are it's mindless slaves. >What's my elaborated point here? This is the same kind of attitude > that makes lists like the top 500 in Boston real....Smells Like Teen > Spirit over Ana Ng. Or the fact that great bands like XTC get majorly f*cked by their record company because they haven't had a hit (for those who don't know: forced to tour for *no pay* until lead singer has a nervous breakdown; royalties for album sales sucked down to almost nothing; threatened by the label to be dropped unless they had a Top 10; had thier creative control revoked (even though they've been with the label for over 10 years), and finally having their newest single *recalled and destroyed*.) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 16:18:25 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Nirvana Well I guess what this threade is comming down to is that there are a lot of people that say that are fans but for the wrong reason. I guess the reason for being a fan for the wrong reason is that that's all they hear is radio music and like it because that is what they hear or want to be 'cool'. The right reason I suppose would be to actually like the band for what it stands for, actually know what the band's message is that they trying to get through and would follow them even if they did become unpopular (unless they did something really bad). An example of this is girls obsession with New Kids On The Block about 5 years back, now you wouldn't find a single person that would say they liked them. Another example Millie Vinallie, people liked them, they did something minor, now thier 'great' music now sucks. Other bands follow this trend. I guess this would be an explination for the reason why people don't want TMBG to be popular. Its not because they don't want other people exposed to thier music, its that they don't want them to be like "Yeah I like They Might Be Giants", and have the "TMBG Ra!" people around. Yes people are trying to get more people to listen to them, but they are trying to get them to listen the right way not the MTV Way. Also about the MTV occurances of TMBG. Does anyone think its Viacom that forces the $$$$ issue on MTV and some people at MTV are sublimablly trying to expose other people to Them. Just a thought. > well, i have to comment about Nirvana here, since they're my favorite band. > i have to defend them, mostly because Kurt would be disgusted about Teen > Spirit being #1 on ANY alternative countdown. Kurt didn't want his music to > be mainstream--he hated it. And that's part of the reason he offed himself. > i don't know why Teen Spirit would be considered the king or definition of > "alternative". the press gave Kurt the nickname "spokesperson for the X- > generation". in a magazine he was quoted as saying "i don't want to be no > f**king spokesperson". i have 15 Nirvana albums, and none of their songs > make me think "wow, a lot of people think like these lyrics and ideas, they > just don't say them aloud". no one speaks for me but me, and i think the > idea of a musician being labeled as a spokesperson for my generation is an > insult to my intelligence. but the fact is, Kurt was only a spokesperson for > himself. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:38:59 PST Subject: On the topic of The Power of Dial a Song From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) Well, to the person that asked about it, let me tell ya - PoDaS is a collection of songs RECORDED off of Dial a Song. There's an upside and a downside to this. Upside - Lots of cool, unrecorded stuff, like the original O Do Not Forsake Me and a cover of Concrete and Clay! Downside - Well, it was recorded over the phone, so the sound quality is really bad. I mean Really bad. Imagine a seventh-generation copy of "Live in NYC" and that would just about cover it. However, if anyone wants a copy of DaS (or Live in NYC, State Songs, Mono Puff, or Dr Spocks Backup band), write to me at InterNette@Juno.com, and I'll make arrangemnets for a copy!! Later Later, Nette (Who got Flanny to give her a weird look during a concert. :) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The Downward Spiral...of music Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 17:07:42 -0500 From: Doug Haas -- [ From: Doug Haas * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] -- -------- REPLY, Original message follows -------- Date: Wednesday, 31-Jul-96 04:06 PM From: Joshua Hall-Bachner \ Internet: (particle@servtech.com) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org \ Internet: (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Subject: The Downward Spiral...of music >What's my elaborated point here? This is the same kind of attitude > that makes lists like the top 500 in Boston real....Smells Like Teen > Spirit over Ana Ng. Or the fact that great bands like XTC get majorly f*cked by their record company because they haven't had a hit (for those who don't know: forced to tour for *no pay* until lead singer has a nervous breakdown; royalties for album sales sucked down to almost nothing; threatened by the label to be dropped unless they had a Top 10; had thier creative control revoked (even though they've been with the label for over 10 years), and finally having their newest single *recalled and destroyed*.) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ -------- REPLY, End of original message -------- hey, I was looking at 97x's top 500 earlier. they had XTC on there like more than anyone except maybe Smashing Pumpkins. TMBG had Birdhouse, Istanbul, and one other that slipped my mind on there. it was great. I saw like Adam Ant on there about three times too!! of course, most of it was all the commercialized crap. I'm kinda mad about the Butthole Surfers, they've sold themselves. They used to be cool and I Was a big fan, but this new album looks as if they're trying to join into the mainstream. TMBG: how many songs are on PoDaS? anyone have a listing? Doug ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:55:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really!" Subject: Power of DAS These are the songs on The Power Of Dial-A-Song: The Power of TMBG Dial-A-Song, Now That I Have Everything, Getting Sentimental Over You, How Much Cake Can You Eat, Swing Is A Word (Six Feet Down), Cupid, Counterfeit Fake, I Find It Hard To Believe, I Need Some Lovin', Confusing His Mind, Don't I Have The Right To Be Loved, Hi Honey I'm Home, Weep Day, We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time, Mrs. Cinderella, Mainstream USA, Brainwashing Our Fighting Boys, Concrete And Clay, Instrumental, Next Plane To London, Get Away, Bread Hair, We Love All The People, Hiya, The Writing's On The Wall, There's A New Song Every Hour, The King Of Wingo, Operators Are Standing By, Maine, I Might Be Giants Too, O Do Not Forsake Me, Meet James Ensor, Ondine, Don't Make Me Kill You Again, Spy, Subliminal, Not Too Clear Not Too Long, A Self Called Nowhere, Destination Moon, I Should Be Allowed To Think, Sleeping In The Flowers, Don't Know Why It Takes That Long, I Palindrome I, Turn Around, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Why Does The Sun Shine, Free Bird Rebirth, See The Constellation, Purple Toupee, Shoehorn With Teeth, Hey Mr DJ, I'll Sink Manhattan,Your Racist Friend, Welcome To The Jungle, We Want A Rock, Ana Ng, My Evil Twin, Birdhouse In Your Soul, Istanbul, Pencil Rain, Ant, Particle Man --Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:06:04 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: The Downward Spiral...of music hey, I was looking at 97x's top 500 earlier. they had XTC on there like more than anyone except maybe Smashing Pumpkins. TMBG had Birdhouse, Istanbul, and one other that slipped my mind on there. it was great. I saw like Adam Ant on there about three times too!! of course, most of it was all the commercialized crap. I'm kinda mad about the Butthole Surfers, they've sold themselves. They used to be cool and I Was a big fan, but this new album looks as if they're trying to join into the mainstream. About Peppers: when an artist (or group thereof) has to resort to Erik Estrada as a guest star in the video......Houston, we have a problem. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html "Does your husband always talk to girls on computers?" "Only when he's not having sex with me." -Jerry Springer and guest, sometime early last week ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:47:47 -0400 Subject: Sighting!! Universe Man at the mall!!! I was at the mall today, sitting on a bench in the middle with a friend, Eric, and we were making fun of everyone who went by (not to their faces, of course). All the sudden, this really dorky guy in a dumb solar system shirt walks by, and Eric shouts out "Universe man, universe man!" LOL, it was so funny! Even funnier then when an old hunched-over man walked by and I said he was the Hunchback Of Notre Dame! Okay, that was pretty useless. I guess you had to be there. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "...And though I once preferred a human being's company, they pale before the *computer* that towers over me..." ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: FW: YAY! Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:24:22 -0400 (EDT) > > I found the Istanbul (NC) single! Yahoo! Whoopee! Alright! It roks tha > house! I'm urging EVERYONE on the list to GO to your local record stores and > LOOK for TMBG stuff! For some reason people on the list are finding stuff > lately. > *Bejezus does a happy little dance* > > Like I always say, track #5 on that rocks the house. "Over there, it's a white tornado, look at it whirling around and spinning and everything, it's a white tornado!": "White tornado my foot! That's a real tornado, ooh you ain't in NYC baby!" -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: The Downward Spiral...of music Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:28:53 -0400 (EDT) > Or the fact that great bands like XTC get majorly f*cked by their record > company because they haven't had a hit (for those who don't know: forced to > tour for *no pay* until lead singer has a nervous breakdown; royalties for > album sales sucked down to almost nothing; threatened by the label to be > dropped unless they had a Top 10; had thier creative control revoked (even > though they've been with the label for over 10 years), and finally having > their newest single *recalled and destroyed*.) I was always under the impression that Andy Patridge just had extreme stage fright and that's why they stopped touring circa 1982. I didn't know he had a nervous breakdown because of no pay concerts. I had heard that the Judybats were forced to break up because they tried to stay too low-key. I thought their first three albums rocked the house. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:03:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: The Downward Spiral...of music > taste..." Of all the teens I know, I know two who have somewhat independent > music tastes (both like the Beatles; one used to be a TMBG fan as well.) Two ok, i'm a bit confused...USED to be a TMBG fan??? could someone PLEASE explain that...? :) just wondering... --fransburghmeister ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:04:17 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re: Rubiyat At 03:17 AM 7/31/96 -0400, you wrote: >>When you >>actually own Rubiyat, XTC Tribute, Power Rangers and Carmen Sandiego? > >I have 3 of those and, pardon my ignorance, want to know what Rubiyat is! >(No, I'm not obsessive!) > Rubiyat, for anyone else wondering, is a compilation record that Elektra Records put together to celebrate thier 40th anniversary. Hard to believe that this concept could result in an interesting record, but it does. Current Elektra artists (current for 1990, that is)cover songs by other Elektra artists, past and present. TMBG do a Phil Ochs song (Marvin Gaye was on Mowtown, so they had no choice) called "One More Parade". It's pretty good. There are lots of other surprisingly good performances, notably The Sugarcubes doing "Motorcycle Mama" (originally by Sailcat, whoever that was), The Pixies rip apart the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's "Born in Chicago". And this is just side one. I found myself liking a lot of the songs that I was initially skeptical about when I first read them. And of course there are the tunes that didn't turn out. The Black Velvet Band, Jackson Browne. Lynch Mob!! Well, it is a double album. But there are also a lot of things I'd never would've heard of like the Ambitious Lovers. In other words, 'sgood. This is my first email to the list, and I'd just like to thank all of you for reading this. It's an honor and a pleasure. A sincere thanks to everyone. So let's help me get aquainted with you all. Starting to my left, say your first name and then say the name of an animal that starts with the same first letter as yours. I'll go first. Jason jaguar. Next? JN --------------------Doody Yeowmp---------------------- ===It's hard to keep a round table orderly.=== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:22:57 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re: tmbg At 03:32 PM 7/31/96 -0400, you wrote: >>TMBG will be playing The Globe Theatre in Norwalk, CT on Thurs. Aug. 15. >> Please pass this info on to all Giant heads. >>Thanks, >>Sirglobe >> Anyone know if and when they're coming to the southeast? Specifically Atlanta? --------------------Doody Yeowmp---------------------- ===It's hard to keep a round table orderly.=== ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:41:46 -0700 Subject: Jethro Tull and TMBG WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu wrote: > ain't either), but in 1976, the progressive rock band Jethro Tull > released an album and a single called "Too Old To Rock n Roll: Too Young > To Die", which was basically about how fads come and go, etc... But > what, 83? Uhm and speaking of cool songs on Channel ONe, they played > Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", Yes's "Roundabout", Big Audio Dynamite's And speaking of Jethro Tull, back in 1992 or so, when They Might Be Giants first came to Sacramento, They did a version of "Stump the Band" and the song was...Jethro Tull's Aqualung! Alas, I was not there to see it (that was one of the MANY reasons I was sad I wasn't there) I was starting my first night of a new job. Listening to all of the plans for the Aug 16th D.C. show, I'm tempted just to jump on a damn plane and go there myself!! It sounds like it will be quite the event. Oh well, there's always reading about it... DEVO-palooza in two days - woohoo! Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 23:59 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: bye for now Well everybody, I'm headin for Montana with the fam, so I'll be temporarily unsubscribing from the list. See y'all later! Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:04:42 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: I'll be back. I'm going on vaction for a week and I will not be able to check my mail until next firday, am NOT subscribing so I won't miss any messages. So don't expect a replay soon. I will be at aug 16th show at the 9:30 club. Any of you who were at the monopuff show at the 930 club rember the stickers I made to identifiy listers. Well since the one's I gave out then were small and hard to read, I have made a new design! You can one my new designs at http://acm.vt.edu/~jmurray/tmbg.gif of course I may change it to fix readablity and size. If you have comments e-mail me. Of course I may not do this if nola brings a sign which may work better or in comibination with it. all for now, John Murray jmurray@vt.edu Voice Mail 1-800-376-5772 x 2770 ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:53:07 -0400 Subject: TMBG > I always thought "Yellow Submarine" was a very Giant-esque song. > Can't you just hear some accordian and some more wacky sound effects? > IMHO, if anyone was to do a remake of that song, it'd have to be TMBG. > No one else could do it justice. I can imagine that. In fact, anything Ringo wrote would be Giant-esque. Think about it... > Radio; all you lucky bastards. maybe im just not listening in the right > places or maybe i just live in a culturally retarded region of the countryt, > but i think i would just about drop dead from shock if they ever played aTMBG > song on the radio. If there is anyone who lives in the Philadelphia or New > York (or Boston for that matter) area who knows of any station that plays > TMBG, i would be eternally gratefull for the frequency. Try 106.3 - modern rock at the Jersey Shore. It's hard to get in from Middlesex County (where I live), especially now that there's a country station on the same frequency, but one time I heard Unrelated Thing on 106.3, and my brother said he's heard other stuff on there. I always listen, but tis a rare occasion when it happens. Also, my pop-loving friend heard something (he didn't know what) on 92.3 that the DJ said was TMBG. He described it, after much probing (and playing all of both Lincoln and JH), the song was country-ish and fast-ish and had ten sex or so of music before the vocals came in. Now I realize it was probably The Guitar, but I can't find Apollo 18 to play it for him. I don't know why this is bothering me so much. There was just a real crappy movie on HBO starring Richard Moll as the bad-guy alien. It was the worst effects I've ever seen, like hand-drawn stuff on the screen. I hope it comes on again. Mark ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:53:40 -0400 Subject: Cartoons Ruprecht76 wrote: > so all I am going from is the end of an episode I saw once... space > ghost is this guy, he used to have an amusing (hanna barbara?) cartoon on > where he'd save the galaxy and stuff... I remember watching that when I was a kid. He could turn invisible, and he shot rays from his hands, typical hero stuff - but it was really cool. They also had that show, I can't remember the name of it, with this guy and his dog and they were both robotic or something, and the dog was related to Scooby-Doo or something, and they'd do mad crossovers. Also on Sunday morning cartoons was Mr. T's cool cartoon show, and Go-Bots, and all sorts of stuff. (Captain Caveman & Son, too, if I remember correctly). Damn, those were the days. He-Man five days a week, Thundercats, even Silverhawks, and of course Voltron (which I rented 2 days ago). GI Joe, too (I liked the GI JOE movie with Sgt. Slaughter and the Cobra La. The part with the bad guy going "Cobra Lalalalalalalalalala" was so cheesy, but I still went around for weeks trying to do it that fast. AND, Cobra Commander turned into a snake). ONDINE, back up, run over my body with your pickup truck... Mark PS, if anyone has those Sunday morning cartoons on tape, I'd love to see them again. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 02:58:09 PST Subject: Re: TMBG From: niloc@juno.com (Colin T Kriebel) On Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:53:07 -0400 ZippyKelp@aol.com writes: >> I always thought "Yellow Submarine" was a very >Giant-esque song. >> Can't you just hear some accordian and some more wacky sound >effects? >> IMHO, if anyone was to do a remake of that song, it'd have to be >TMBG. >> No one else could do it justice. > >I can imagine that. In fact, anything Ringo wrote would be >Giant-esque. Think >about it... > > Nit pick but according to my copy of Revolver, Yellow Submarine was written by Lennon and McCartney, Ringo just sang it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-214 ******************************