Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-216 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 216 Saturday, 3 August 1996 Today's Topics: The Mono Puff postcard... Re: If you're even gonna START talking about movies... Re: Road Rules Re: If you're even gonna START talking about movies... FW: STUFF! Unrelated things... FW: Stuff and more stuff Well, then, I would like to FW: Life and how to live it. 9:30 Voting - 2nd Update Re: FW: Life and how to live it. (Sorry to send two notes on Movies movies movies! Re: Unrelated things... tmbg-list Digest #2-215 They Might Be Giants Hey..what about..? Re: Hey..what about..? Woo-HAH!!! Off-topic: Richard Moll movie Mrs Train...well, kinda... shallow grave istanbul single Re: Richard Moll wants me to tell you Shep's 10 Faves (Egads! The new kid is Don't Bite the Heart the Feeds You + OAT Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-215 They video trade; and my "off topic ordeal" opinion RE: Life and how to live it. Survey II Re: Survey II Cartoons IRC IRC and more IRC Re: Cartoons Re: Cartoons Re: Cartoons Re: Cartoons cartoons Unrelated things... Unrelated things... Whoa there buckaroos!!! Live In NYC/Dr. Spock. RE: Unrelated things.. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 03:04:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: The Mono Puff postcard... Hmm, I got one of the postcards today, as did my brother....neither of us are in the info club, and I thought it was wierd that there were info club id #'s with our names. Oh well, someone is thinking of me! Amy :) "Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address..." - TMBG ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 03:39:17 -0400 Subject: Re: If you're even gonna START talking about movies... In a message dated 96-08-01 19:40:26 EDT, yu108533@yorku.ca (Mike Rose, really!) writes: > So, what are these other films that shake the foundation? I'll > try to be complete, and once again in no particular order. You've forgotten Logan's Run, Flash Gordon and (seriously) Leaving Las Vegas (a very very good film, best film I've seen all year, I haven't seen many though)... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:43:30 -0400 (EDT) From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Road Rules >I remember that, and the day they played see the constelation and i stood up >in the middle of homeroom and yelled 'that's they!' Yeah, that was the day that Rawley Valverde said, "The opening music was They Might Be Giants, requested by Jonathan Chaffer from Mount Pleasant High School, a Channel One school in Michigan." Cool, huh? -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:42:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: If you're even gonna START talking about movies... On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > So, what are these other films that shake the foundation? I'll > > try to be complete, and once again in no particular order. > > You've forgotten Logan's Run, Flash Gordon and (seriously) Leaving Las Vegas > (a very very good film, best film I've seen all year, I haven't seen many > though)... you've also forgotten spaceballs, i think. i'll admit, i didn't have the eye strength this early in the morning to read all those. spaceballs, pupl fiction, and rhps are my favs. oh, another worst movies, showgirls. it was very funny though. "i love dogchow." "i love dogchow too!!" yes, those lines are actually in the movie. if you ever see it, the scene with kyle mcglaughklin and liz berekly in the pool looks like it's straight from a naked gun movie. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:17:44 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: STUFF! OK! Since we are not gonna talk about TMBG too much I'd just like to share this...its the DOCS for TELIX (a comm program) Not all of it of course. I thought since this was a TMBG list you guys would be interested...Even thgought they have NOTTTTTHIIIINNGGGG to do with TMBG. Get the idea? Flame the hell out of me if you want. T E L I X Um, I don't get the idea. Please elaborate for clarification, for I don't want to make an assumption about why you would post this. shep ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Unrelated things... Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:32:04 -0500 (CDT) Someone said: >those malls. Yeah it has something to do with tmbg, because someone mentioned >it once. We get completly off topic here. And I AM trying to do something about >it. I'm trying to telll peolpe not to post non tmbg material. Why does there always seem to be so much animosity surrounding off-topic debates or threads? I mean, really, does it take that much time to just delete a message that's got "Nirvana" in the name? I get the impression often that there is a predominant opinion on the list that because we listen to TMBG and love They and all Their wisdom and glory and might, we're somehow "above" everything else... I hear people bashing other bands, proclaiming, "Well, _They're_ much better than because They're so unpopular" and other miscellaneous garbage like that... Liking TMBG doesn't automatically elevate us to some higher level than anyone else, or doesn't necessarily make our musical tastes better than anyone else's. This extends out to the Unrelated Things that more or less continually pop up in a mailing list. Not just _this_ one, but all of them... And we're not above that natrual law of humanity... Personally, I think the list would be darn boring if all we had was TMBG content. And think about what all that implies... If there's more than one person on the list having a discussion about something other than TMBG, this implies that there's at least a few people on the list who want to talk about that subject. So what's that to anyone who doesn't? A couple of seconds wasted skimming a message you're uninterested, and a few bytes on a hard drive somewhere... What's the big deal? And then Leo (hats off) said: > I'm about ready to moderate the list and add in a nice > two or three day delay to all the messages so I can filter > out the junk. And why should we have to go to a moderated list? Leo, I admit that you're doing a wonderful job here, and I don't envy you at all for having to put up with more or less continual crap like this popping up all the time, or freaks like me writing pages of discussion on things like this, but moderating the list would just stagnate discussion... A two or three day lag on messages? Threads would die as soon as they were started... There's no reason for you to have to do anything like that at all... All we need to do is just loosen up and start accepting things that we don't like. And then someone else said: > himself (he left behind a kid), I was kind of happy, b/c he wouldn't make any > other music! That might sound bad, but I'm sick, i promise you! I loved to Acceptance of other views and ideas is something I think we all have to work on... Going back to an earlier point, often times I notice a definite groupthink gonig on all over the list... "We listen to TMBG, which is better than everything else and thus makes our views better than anything else..." Now, don't get angry at me for that... I'm not naming names, because A) Most of the time I don't even really know who I'm responding to; I just don't care that one person's one way or someone else is another, and B) I don't do that. It's present, though... I see it a lot. That last quote is just one example of how it's affecting people... Intolerance for one kind of music led to somone being happy over another's death... Just open your minds a little bit... Try for some acceptance of some things that you may not like, but are always going to be there... And just delete the message if you need to; it doesn't really matter. -CJ, ducking before the flames come in... May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~"~''`"~""~"`'""~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"`'"``"""~"`''`"~"~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:33:48 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Stuff and more stuff >what the hell is your problem? if you have a topic about tmbg, then speek up >. and yes, the movie thing is pretty irrelevant, but the Nirvana and other >threads had something to do with Them. IF you don't like something that's >going on, do soethnaout, n'ustwh an iformenee >toosomhing Someone compared Nirvana to TMBG. OK, after the comparison is done it IS DONE...Over. Its like, HEY I saw TMBG in a mall (I wish) and then we styart talkign about which malls we think are the best and what stores we like in those malls. Yeah it has something to do with tmbg, because someone mentioned it once. We get completly off topic here. And I AM trying to do something about it. I'm trying to telll peolpe not to post non tmbg material. You're not grasping the point. There's a distinct flaw in your analogy. And if this follows suit with the TELIX thing you posted, you're only placing yourself in the same category you place the rest of us in. Look at the conversation that ensued from the comparison between TMBG and Nirvana. And it wasn't to the point of breaking down measure-for-measure which is better, it was the point of looking at the popularity of Nirvana vs. the popularity of TMBG, which, lo and behold, DOES still have something to do with TMBG. First, you are wrong for chastising us for something we didn't do. You say we aren't talking about TMBG related topics. What the hell is the comparision of TMBG to another band? What do you call that? Secondly, to try and 'spite' us, you post something completely unrelated, in an attempt to show us the error of our ways. All you did was prove MY point AND add fuel to the fire. As I said in an earlier post, for me to post something COMPLETELY unrelated (i.e. MUFFLERS ON SALE ACROSS COUNTRY NEXT WEEK) would obviously go against the entire point of a TMBG list. But when there is a direct relation (i.e. NIRVANA vs TMBG on a TOP 500 list), that should be allowed. I suggest, in the future, if you're going to flame people on this topic, get some ammo. shep ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:41:17 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: Well, then, I would like to Well, then, I would like to postulate that the song "Mrs. Train" has nothing to do with jumping in a fountain, a red herring I found in another list, but instead is a song about marriage. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:39:42 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Life and how to live it. First off did they officially re release the Istanbul single? A few people have found it - I've been looking for it for a while and everyplace said that it was out of press/print (whatever a cd is out of) I don't think they re-released it.....I always see copies of it around here in Rochester. Secondly - What video of Theirs do you think Bevis and Butthead would like the most? And which one would they rail the most.... I don't know about liking the MOST.....but as far as the least, I think they would watch "Don't Let's Start" and the big heads rolling around would make Beavis have conniptions. shep Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 10:50:35 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 9:30 Voting - 2nd Update Here's is another update for the 9:30 club voting. I will stop counting votes when I stop getting messages from people voting. Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon ---------------------------- Jeffrey B Scanlon Lawrence P Solomon Nola Weaver Matthew James Rythem Section Want Ad ---------------------------- Adam P. Fistler gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) kaochiho@pop.erols.com (Ellen Kao) Narror Your Eyes ---------------------------- particle@cyber1.servtech.com Mrs. Train ---------------------------- ZippyKelp@aol.com She's An Angel ---------------------------- Paul Sebold ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 10:54:22 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: FW: Life and how to live it. > First off did they officially re release the Istanbul single? > A few people have found it - I've been looking for it for a while and > everyplace said that it was out of press/print (whatever a cd is out of) > > I don't think they re-released it.....I always see copies of it around > here in Rochester. No its just that some people find them around and some stores (sound garden in MD gets singles from time to time [you can get almost all of singles there right now execpt the Guitar, The Statue Got me High, and SWAHD]) > > Secondly - What video of Theirs do you think Bevis and Butthead > would like the most? And which one would they rail the most.... > > I don't know about liking the MOST.....but as far as the least, I think > they would watch "Don't Let's Start" and the big heads rolling around > would make Beavis have conniptions. I think B&B would like don't let's start the most becasue they blow up an accordian. And Bevis would think it is kinda 'Groovy' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:13:38 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: (Sorry to send two notes on (Sorry to send two notes on one topic... I'm new here and just getting my milk teeth) Mrs. Train: One must first wonder of the title. Why name it MRS. train over all the other possibilities? Why not Miss? Mister? Senior? Herr? Frau? Pancake Jack? The fact that they chose Mrs., me thinks, is significant. The clever way of switching to the "missing head" is another clue, an obvious allusion to the head of a household. The fact that he doesn't want to be that head creates the 'missing' portion of the picture. But again, he is "not in any rush to head the line". Thoughts? Also, I must say, being a newbie to this list, that I had hoped to find a sense of accomodation and humor from the participants. After all, is that now what our fabled TMBG show in their lyrics? But what I have seen so far is a bunch of whining mugwhumps insisting that every sentence have TMBG for some reference to the Johns. Heck, I could write about my new lawnmower, stating that one of the Johns purchased a similar model back in 93 for the sheer purpose of running down squirrels, but I fear that if I digress, I shall be flameau'ed to perfection. "Sausages were never meant to be domesticated" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:17:50 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Movies movies movies! Before this great thread dies, I would like to add my faves and least faves. En mi opinion humble: Rebel Without a Cause, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Pulp Fiction, Clockwork Orange, Reservoir Dogs, Wayne's World, Crybaby, So I Married An Axe Murderer, The Who's Tommy, The Hustler, Wild At Heart, Mask (not THE Mask), Edward Scissorhands, Giant, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Peyton Place, Dune, hydrogen, helium, and many others :) Least fave: Shattered, with Broken Arrow coming in a close second There are as many shitty movies as there are well-made movies, so it is difficult to narrow down that category too. Bad and worst id just as subjective as good and best. Oh, They Might Be Giants are the shit! They are the third ass, right Tara? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:32:04 -0400 Subject: Re: Unrelated things... In a message dated 96-08-02 10:31:07 EDT, anakin@vader.snc.edu (Anakin Skywalker) writes: > Netscape should have a soapbox tag... But I'm not sure what it would do... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 2 Aug 1996 11:37:14 EST Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-215 Oh boy! I get to explain the origin's of Jethro Tull's name... Finally, I hath found a calling. Okay, so Jethro Tull is a band, not a person. In 1963 it was formed as a seven piece soul group, who moved to London in 1965 or so, and some of the members got fed up with not going anywhere so they left, and the band converted to a four piece blues group. So anyway, all this time they'd been playing the marquee club every time they could, but they would never get asked back after a gig, so to keep playing there they had to change their name every day. So one day in 1968, when the band was composed of Ian Anderson (flute, vocals), Glen Cornick (bass), Clive Bunker (drums) and Mick Abrahams (guitar), Dave Robson, a booker for the Ellis-Wright talent agency, booked the band as Jethro Tull, named after the inventor of the seed drill. Amazingly (to them at least), they were booked again, and had to keep the name that Ian doesnt like because "it's someone else's, it's not original". Wow. Anyway, over the years Jethro Tull became a progressive rock band, then a progressive folk rock band, then a progressive synth rock band, and now theyre back to progressive rock, after spending a few years as a straight blues rock band. again. Their last album was 1995's _Roots to Branches_, and the band is now composed of Ian Anderson (flute,vocals,acoustic guitar), Martin Barre (electric guitar), Andy Giddings (keyboards), Doane Perry (drums), and newcomer Johnathon Noyce (bass). They are currently touring north america with another progressiv e rock band, Emerson Lake and Palmer. ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: Anyone know where I can get Power of Dial a Song or Live in NYC, or any boots from like 1980s? And could osmeone send me some money for the "Pay for My CDs" Charity? Contributions welcome ,from $1 to $10,000. Thank you very much. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 11:54:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: They Might Be Giants Anyone know what song(s) will be on the Sept 24 single? Also, Hey! I've got Telix on my 8088! I'm surprised that no one mentioned The Shawshank Redemption as one of the best movies. ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:20:52 -0400 Subject: Hey..what about..? While everyone is listing their favorite movies, I don't think anyone mentioned 'They Might Be Giants'. As in the movie. If someone did, then I'm sorry. I must be a crack baby. (just kidding) Princess ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Hey..what about..? Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:42:00 -0500 (EST) > > While everyone is listing their favorite movies, I don't think anyone > mentioned 'They Might Be Giants'. > Perhaps because it's not very good? m@t ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:43:52 -0400 Subject: Woo-HAH!!! Sorry, I'm going message crazy (oooh, two in one day!) but I just found a totally neat little thing-y having to do with AOL. (finally, a use for it!!) Anyway, for all you aol users, go to that icon up there that says 'File Search' (it looks like a disk with a magnifiying glass over it) and enter in They Might Be Giants after filling in the box 'Sound and Music' or something like that. Anyway, there are a whole bunch of cool TMBG clips. I have already used a few for when the computer turns on, when it turns off, and when I sign on to aol. No more Mr. Annoying saying "Welcome!!" Anyway, for all you lucky people who don't have aol, I'll be glad to send you a few clips, just make sure your computer can play .wav files, and e-mail me, not the whole list. If everyone already knows about this, well, just tough then, because I'm happy now. :p Princess ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:00:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Off-topic: Richard Moll movie ZippyKelp@aol.com wrote: > > There was just a real crappy movie on HBO starring Richard Moll as the > bad-guy alien. It was the worst effects I've ever seen, like hand-drawn stuff > on the screen. I hope it comes on again. Hmm, it sounds like you were subjected to "Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-Syn." I saw it years ago, and I remember it to this day because it was so bad. It's supposed to be 3D. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:09:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Mrs Train...well, kinda... On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Jason A Hoffman wrote: > But what I have seen so far is > a bunch of whining mugwhumps > insisting that every sentence > have TMBG for some reference > to the Johns. Heck, I could > write about my new lawnmower, > stating that one of the Johns > purchased a similar model back > in 93 for the sheer purpose of > running down squirrels, but I > fear that if I digress, I > shall be flameau'ed to > perfection. Ok, I really have no comments on the Mrs. Train interp (sorry) but I wanted to say that when I read this part of your message, I laughed so hard that Diet Pepsi almost came out of my nose (and I was drinking milk, how strange....) Anyhow, it just made me visualize Linnell going after squirrels with a brand new John Deere riding lawnmower....heh, just thought I'd share my overly-vivid imagination with you all. Amy :) ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:25:00 -0400 (EDT) Subject: shallow grave >I have not seen Shallow >Grave, was that another book by Irvine Welsh? No, it was a film produced/directed/whatever by the same group of people who made trainspotting. It was cool and creepy, and very similar (not by accident, I'm sure) to Blood Simple. Check it out! stevie. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: istanbul single Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:27:21 -0400 (EDT) I am beginning to think they ahve re-released the Istanbul single. One store around here has been getting 2 brand new copies every week. Another store recently got 2 brand new copies. Now the first store always gets singles in so I was thinking they might have just had some secret storehouse somewhere, but this other store generally only gets used istanbuls and that is really rare (maybe twice a year, if that). Also, I've seen other new ones pop up on occassion. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:57:59 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Richard Moll wants me to tell you Shep's 10 Faves >9. The Shining. > >7. Monty Python and The Holy Grail > >6. Pulp Fiction > >1. A Clockwork Orange Wow, you've got great taste in movies! (IMO) Two of your top ten are Stanley Kubrick movies. Plus you've got my favorite non-Kubrick movie, Pulp Fiction. My compliments to you! Sarah Cooke "Face it, Space Cheese, you'll never be as evil as I!" "Oh, dang." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:04:49 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: (Egads! The new kid is (Egads! The new kid is posting a THIRD message in one day. Doesn't he know about the taboo?) Has anyone out there heard the group/artist called "Self"? I find a number of simularities in the musical style in the it is very fun, creative music. Lyrically, though, this guy needs some hints. I was just wondering what they thought of this guy and the album "Subliminal Plastic Motives" AS IT RELATES TO TMBG. Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese, Jason ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:48:22 -0400 Subject: Don't Bite the Heart the Feeds You + OAT Is it just me, or is the Mono Puff Song, Don't Break the Heart a play on words on the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Hmmm, I think so... OAT: I felt I _must_ share this... in local paper on Thursday there was an article about the dangers of tatoos and and skin cancer or something and a caption under a picture of the band guns'n'roses said "Many young people, such as members of the rock band Guns 'n' Roses, now sport tatoos." I hope no one is too annoyed by this... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:50:25 -0700 (PDT) From: "Jonathan C. Dunn" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-215 I sincerely like TMBG and Nirvana both. This has been one consumer's banal opinion. Thank you. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:52:44 -0400 Subject: They video trade; and my "off topic ordeal" opinion Okee dokee-- First off, I am really totally and completely suffering for lack of Them on video. If *anyone* has that famous bootleg video set I've been hearing about or something similar, and would be obliged to make an equal tape trade for Barenaked Ladies and/or Kids In The Hall stuff on video (Shep? ), I've got tons. Pleeese? I love Them. I prefer to make a trade, because as of now...I only have exactly one dollar, yes, one dollar, so I wish not to (and cannot) pay a bundle for double shipping costs. And as for off-topic discussions-- I personally don't mind - to an extent. Sometimes, it does get pretty bad, ex, someone posting a 40 things about independence day; but I'm on alt.tv.kids-in-hall. We're a bunch of people with such alternative taste in everything (much like us They-er's, I'm pretty sure) so we find other things to talk about, that none of our "mainstrem" friends cares about or even knows about to discuss, and noone seems to mind. Sure, there is a certain limit to the amount of related things to talk about. But it's fun to hear about all the other things we have in common. To an extent. And as for *my* favorite movies and top 10 favourite cd's, I'll save space for They by letting you know, it's all on my website: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html. Thanks and have a They day! -sarah :) "My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 21:32:12 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: Life and how to live it. B&B, hmmm.... I honestly couldn't quite see them jamming to everything. I can almost see them vocalizing the chords to Snail Shell. But I would love to see them dancing to Puppet Head that would be hilareous. Butthead doin' the double inverted nad twist (anyone see that one?). Mostly I picture them saying "If I wanted to learn something I'd go to school" while watching Istanbul N.C. ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org on behalf of Pez Man Sent: Friday, August 02, 1996 4:38 AM To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Life and how to live it. Secondly - What video of Theirs do you think Bevis and Butthead would like the most? And which one would they rail the most.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 21:42:03 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: Survey II Alright I have my Monopuff sticker too and now I need to now . . . . . What am I going to do with it? 1. Stick it on my car. 2. Stick it on a door. 3. Stick it on my head. 4. Save it just because. 5. Leave it in the CD case. (Speaking of which did anyone save that strip of paper off the LP that says MONOPUFF and has a description of the band on it? I could bring myself to throw it away for some reason. No of course I'm not sentimental) 6. Eat it. (looks like it would go good with Tobasco (what doesn't) ) 7. Mail it to the President 8. Sell it as a Nicoderm patch. 9. Make it into a cool bandaid 10. Stick it on the back of a bus (free advertising) ASB MR_POTATO_HEAD@MSN.COM ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:27:23 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: Survey II On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > 5. Leave it in the CD case. (Speaking of which did anyone save that strip of > paper off the LP that says MONOPUFF and has a description of the band on it? YES!!! I did! It is now strategically placed on my wall. I couldn't do away with it. Nola ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 18:25:07 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: Cartoons >I remember watching that when I was a kid. He could turn invisible, and he >shot rays from his hands, typical hero stuff - but it was really cool. They >also had that show, I can't remember the name of it, with this guy and his >dog and they were both robotic or something, and the dog was related to >Scooby-Doo or something, and they'd do mad crossovers. Also on Sunday morning >cartoons was Mr. T's cool cartoon show, and Go-Bots, and all sorts of stuff. >(Captain Caveman & Son, too, if I remember correctly). Damn, those were the >days. He-Man five days a week, Thundercats, even Silverhawks, and of course >Voltron (which I rented 2 days ago). GI Joe, too (I liked the GI JOE movie >with Sgt. Slaughter and the Cobra La. The part with the bad guy going "Cobra >Lalalalalalalalalala" was so cheesy, but I still went around for weeks trying >to do it that fast. AND, Cobra Commander turned into a snake). okay, is it just me, or are cartoons these days really really lame? excluding the simpsons, which does not fall under the saturday morning cartoon category. and the tick, which rocks. is that still on anywhere? we don't get it in thunder bay. does anyone remember the really bad mc hammer (oh no, wait, he was hammer by then, i think) cartoon...hammerman? how the hell did they get away with animation like that? what happened to the smurfs? they started to get pretty lame after a while, too, though. still, they could keep showing the old episodes over and over. i think i heard they were going to make new smurfs episodes...one can only hope that they compare to the originals...i'm never awake on saturday morning anyway. heather ps i saw raising arizona last night...it was quite good. why did i never hear of the coen brothers until fargo (which everyone has to see because it is so damn good.)? oh yeah...i live in thunder bay. ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: IRC IRC and more IRC Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 17:49:34 -0500 1.) To whoever asked, I registered #tmbg on DALnet. If you want it back, fine by me. 2.) Forget about the Wednesday night DAL meetings, since noone has shown up except for BlueDawg and a few assorted others. 3.) Are there still plans for irc.tmbg.org ? That's all. -Justin ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:44:13 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: Cartoons heather wrote: > >ps i saw raising arizona last night...it was quite good. why did i never >hear of the coen brothers until fargo (which everyone has to see because it >is so damn good.) Yes, the Coens are inspired stylists. %Raising Arizona% is classic comedy. I double over with laughter when Hi's moronic boss hurls a small object at his own child for the fun of it, shouting "Hit the deck, Junior!" And %Fargo% is just the best thing ever. You must see %Miller's Crossing% as well. And %Blood Simple% and %The Hudsucker Proxy%. They're all very good. I didn't like %Barton Fink% when I first saw it, but it grew on me. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 19:53:21 -0400 Subject: Re: Cartoons In a message dated 96-08-02 18:33:34 EDT, sechilds@ice.LakeheadU.Ca (angstgirl) writes: > okay, is it just me, or are cartoons these days really really lame? > excluding the simpsons, which does not fall under the saturday morning > cartoon category. and the tick, which rocks. is that still on anywhere? You're forgetting Gargoyles (the best animation you can get in an American cartoon), Might Max and (heh) Highlander The Animated Series... maybe these don't count because they are syndicated and don't come on saturdays, but they are darn cool (or at least Gargoyles, and the others are good to laugh at/with)... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Cartoons Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:55:29 -0500 (CDT) > okay, is it just me, or are cartoons these days really really lame? Uh huh... It's the cartoons. _However_ you missed in your list of exceptions: Animaniacs, and on some rare occasions (albiet [sp?] not very many) Earthworm Jim and Freakazoid... Anyone here rememver Danger Mouse? (followed closely by Banana Man)... May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~"~''`"~""~"`'""~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"`'"``"""~"`''`"~"~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:03:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Cartoons On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, angstgirl wrote: > okay, is it just me, or are cartoons these days really really lame? > excluding the simpsons, which does not fall under the saturday morning > cartoon category. and the tick, which rocks. is that still on anywhere? heard they were going to make new smurfs episodes...one can only hope that they compare to the originals...i'm never awake on saturday morning anyway. my fav tv station by far is cartoon network, as far as cartoons now goes, i love two stupid dogs. that show is really funny. other cartoons favs include secrect squirell (that morocco mole is groovy), the simpsons, animaniacs, dr. katz, and older shows like rocky and bullwinkle, fat albert, snorks, and many others i can't recall... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:59:22 -1000 (HST) From: Steven Osborn Subject: cartoons yes, i do remember danger mouse, bananaman, and to a lesser extent, count duckula... although the most memorable line from any of those was nanny's 'ill get it!' man, why must nickelodeon suck these days??? ill just watch my simpsons tapes... steven ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 21:52:28 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: Unrelated things... Well I can see both sides of the case Yes this is a tmbg list and it should be mostly about they...- But this is also a list of Tmbg liking people. People who have TMBG in common and this list lets us get together - To talk about they, and maybe let people know about other stuff that you might like because it is they-like. Sometimes It does get out of hand though - I think the Nirvana thing has been beaten to death and Space ghost is getting old even though I was one of the founders of that strain. But Hey if it is multiple people interested I say what the hey. pezman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 21:52:43 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: Unrelated things... Well I can see both sides of the case Yes this is a tmbg list and it should be mostly about they...- But this is also a list of Tmbg liking people. People who have TMBG in common and this list lets us get together - To talk about they, and maybe let people know about other stuff that you might like because it is they-like. Sometimes It does get out of hand though - I think the Nirvana thing has been beaten to death and Space ghost is getting old even though I was one of the founders of that strain. But Hey if it is multiple people interested I say what the hey. What bothers the pezman? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 23:54:16 PST Subject: Whoa there buckaroos!!! From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) Due to the overwhelming response I got to the PoDaS and other assorted musics offer, I'm going to post this wonderful info on the list. Ok, kids, it's FREE!!! Woo hoo!! All you need to do is mail me a few 90 minute tapes, and a list of what you want. Albums available are: the Power of Dial a Song Mono Puff (Hello version) State Songs (also Hello) Dr. Spock's Back-up Band Live in New York Back To Skull (snail Shell single) I Palindrome I single Why Does the Sun Shine single My address is Jeanette Frost 18 Universal Ave Iselin NJ 08830 I apoligise for not being able to get back to everyone personally, but it's all too much!!!! Later, Nette ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 02:07:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Live In NYC/Dr. Spock. Hey, this is Cuper, and I >think< I've now responded to everyone who e-mailed me. If not, feel free to come over and stomp my head, or at least mail me and say, yo, what's up? I just wanted to apologize for making my offer and then being away from my account for two weeks. Sorry. -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 02:34:06 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: RE: Unrelated things.. Right on, Anakin! your thought process is good and down-to-earth. And i can't believe someone else likes Danger Mouse! that was like my favorite cartoon as a kid. i haven't seen it on in years. has anyone seen it lately? and does anyone remember the name of the white caterpillar-thing that always sat next to Greenback? i miss that show. does anyone have ticket info. about the 930 club show coming up? i think i can go, but i want to make sure it's not sold out or anything. and could someone remind me of how ya'll are locating each other so i can look for the group(i know it's been posted several times, but i didn't pay attention cause i didn't think i was going--sorry). thanks bunches! "Ray: next time someone asks you if you're a god you say YES!" -Winston, "Ghostbusters" look how late i write these...that's the problem with having 2 jobs. -Chakka ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-216 ******************************