Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-218 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 218 Monday, 5 August 1996 Today's Topics: History and TMBG Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-217 Re: DM address, vinyl force-feeding teens crap (movies/nirvana) Re:cartoons Jay Sherman-Gofrey Re: History and TMBG Re: History and TMBG Devo, Soul Coughing, and TMBG Re: Unrelated things... Mrs. Train Having just wallowed through Hi DM cartoon Back to Skull Re: DM address, vinyl TMBG Karaoke Re: DM address, vinyl Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 00:21:00 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: History and TMBG Ahhh. A thread I can dig. Jethro Tull. I actually saw them in concert in the 70s. TMBG fans are the same type as the JT crowd: intelligent, appreciative of musical creativity, and the dedication to the idea that innovation is the foundation of lasting value in anything. With that in mind, I submit the following historical perspective: A sampling of Historically Important Groups: TMBG peers (True Giants in Music in no particular order) Steely Dan Jethro Tull The Beatles David Bowie Harry Nilsson Pink Floyd Before I get too diverse here, I'd rather see your ideas of artists in this class. I'd like to see some of the ideas that make TMBG enthusiasts a cut above the garden variety music listeners. Perhaps some votes for albums that will never die... Marc the Chronologically Gifted ------------------------------ Date: 04 Aug 1996 10:20:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-217 Organization: organization for putting icecream on milkbottles Steven Osborn wrote: > to say that we can ONLY talk about tmbg on this list is very restricting, This *is* the tmbg mailinglist, so every other topic *is* off-topic. So is this message. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: DM address, vinyl Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 10:17:08 -0400 (EDT) > hey, does anybody know if They put out anything on vinyl? and do > They have rare white vinyl? i haven't looked much, but i don't want to keep > searching if there's nothing. I bought 'She Was a Hotel Dectective' (the Single) on Vinal for $1 at a flea market. According to the little sheet here you can buy all the singles and albums on vinal direct from the Giants, 914-359-0867. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:28:53 -0400 (EDT) Subject: force-feeding teens >These people listen to >whatever the radio throws at them. The entire song is too long to quote here, but there is a tune about this called "Grey Matter" by Oingo Boingo, on their "Nothing to Fear" album. It's excellent, and right on the mark. stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:48:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: crap (movies/nirvana) Please stop cluttering my e-mail with lists that do nothing but exemplify your crappy taste in movies, and that goes for all of you!!! You've all sunk a level in my perception. (Batman?!! THE CROW???!!! Puh-leeeze!) The Nirvana thread has also gotten out of control. I find it very sad that people applaud the idea (true or not) that this guy offed himself because his music was getting popular and making people happy; not to mention allowing kids in rural towns and such to hear it. One of my first boyfriends expressed similar sentiments about the late Ian Curtis of Joy Division, and even at the tender age of 18 I thought this was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. If you like a band, you should want them to be successful and popular. stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:59:15 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re:cartoons ReBoot rules!!!! stevie. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 12:36:38 -0500 (EST) From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Subject: Jay Sherman-Gofrey Hey- I've been trying for a long time to find out anything about Jay Sherman-Godfrey. He's plays guitar on a few songs on John Henrey, and on Mono Puff, Spondee, and various other TMBG-related projects. Flansburgh always introduces him as being from the "World Famous Bluejays". I assume this is a band, but I have never heard of them. I also remember hearing something about him being on "Diesel Records", but I can't find them either. Can anybody help me out? Thanks, Andy Oh, while I have you all scouring the earth for info, how about way to hear more by other Hello bands. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 10:45:39 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: History and TMBG >Ahhh. A thread I can dig. >Jethro Tull. I actually saw them in concert in the 70s. TMBG fans are the >same type as the JT crowd: intelligent, appreciative of musical >creativity, and the dedication to the idea that innovation is the >foundation of lasting value in anything. With that in mind, I submit the >following historical perspective: >A sampling of Historically Important Groups: TMBG peers >(True Giants in Music in no particular order) >Steely Dan >Jethro Tull >The Beatles >David Bowie >Harry Nilsson >Pink Floyd >Before I get too diverse here, I'd rather see your ideas of artists in >this class. I'd like to see some of the ideas that make TMBG enthusiasts a >cut above the garden variety music listeners. Perhaps some votes for >albums that will never die... >Marc the Chronologically Gifted I don't see the Jethro Tull connections as strongly as you do, nor the Pink Floyd. TMBG, I would be willing to wager, have a lot of plantedness in that reactive phase of pop which views the self-consciously "progressive" acts of the early 70's with suspicion and/or contempt. Their characteristic ironic temperaments, I think, account for their occasional use of these bands' material for "Stump the Band," etc. Likewise Steely Dan seems like a minimal influence, apart from the superficial structural affinity (two studio guys). Harry Nilsson is more on the right track--like TMBG, he had a playful approach to pop conventions and cliches, and can be heard as a possible source on tracks like "The World's Address" and "Stormy Pinkness." Bowie too is a safe bet, perhaps more as an icon than an actual style; the whole glam/glitter rock thing is in there. The Beatles, of course, are key to TMBG's make-up. I won't even begin to get into the bazillion significant ways Lennon and McCartney's songwriting lay the foundations for TMBG's sound. I would add to the list: Elvis Costello (probably as pervasive and audible as the Beatles) Zappa & The Mothers of Invention Captain Beefheart The Kinks (in their Tin Pan Alley phase of the late 60's) TV soundtrack music Neil Young (it's subtle, but definitely there, especially in Linnell's melodic stylings, or in anthemic songs like "Dirt Bike") power pop acts like Nick Lowe, the Buzzcocks, and the many bands they spawned any of countless folk performers More later. Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: History and TMBG From: christopherm@juno.com (Christopher M Moesel) Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 15:37:44 EDT Let's see: Other Giants (They Are Giants) of music: Moody Blues Electric Light Orchestra (And my modern music pick:) Jars of Clay I know I'm missing some, but can't think right now. This is tmbg-related because these are giants just like They. They're like family... -christopherm (FORMERLY KNOWN AS Chris_Moesel@onf.com) ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 13:05:55 -0700 Subject: Devo, Soul Coughing, and TMBG owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I went to a bunch of record stores today and even though I did not > find any TMBG I did get the Devo EP Post Post-Modern Man with Baby Doll > and a live version of Whip It!!! And it was only 2 dollars!!!!! So yeah Very cool!! I consider myself extremely lucky to have witnessed Devo perform that song live in concert only two days ago! They were, by far, the best band at Lollapalooza. Despite looking very middle-aged, which they are (one of them looked like my uncle) they definitely rocked and put on an excellent show. I wasn't sure how the metalheads there would respond, but they seemed to enjoy, or at least tolerate, the 30 minutes of Devo. Also, to all of the listers who have recommended Soul Coughing, I managed to catch most of their act on the second stage (they started while Devo was playing). I was very impressed and am tempted to run out and immediately buy a CD of theirs. Does anyone know how many their are and which one I should get? (please respond to me - not to the list) I've decided that Soul Coughing, They Might Be Giants and Devo would make an excellent concert lineup. There is enough musical variety there to satisfy just about anyone, but they all seem to fit together. Matt "'Cause baby, you're going to be the one that saves me. And after all, you're McCartney, Paul" - Soul Coughing, Lollapalooza '96 ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 18:08:06 -0400 Subject: Re: Unrelated things... ******************my earlier message***************** >himself (he left behind a kid), I was kind of happy, b/c he wouldn't make any > other music! That might sound bad, but I'm sick, i promise you! I loved to ******************other quoted material***************** > That last quote is just one example of how it's affecting people... Intolerance for >one kind of music led to somone being happy over another's death... Now wait a second. That quote was from me and I have to say that once I read over it, it was worded the wrong way. I was not happy that Kurt had to die. He did leave a wife and kid behind. I also forgot to put in the "not" when i was saying, "I'm __ sick, I promise." Believe me, I'm not. I would have been happier if Nirvana had broken up (so they wouldn't have to make any more music that my friend loves), not that kurt died. Intolerance for a kind of music.......I never said that I didn't like "alternative" music, I just didn't like the music that Nirvana put out. Don't you have any bands that you just can't stand?? (oasis, ace of base, etc) Whatever............. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 18:02:46 -0700 (PDT) From: "Jonathan C. Dunn" Subject: Mrs. Train I didn't read every single posting, but can no one have noticed the pun: 'miss his train'. Someone was going to miss their train. This song was an extra track on one of the more recent CDingles. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:06:11 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: Having just wallowed through Having just wallowed through three days of notes, let me first say that I feel very, very old. Please, all, have a seat while I reveal this startling information... I remember Pong. I remember Fat Albert, Shazam, Rocky & Bullwinkle (in syndication), the Cliffwood Avenue Kids and I thought that shows like He- Man and the smurfs to be tastless upstarts with little creative value "like the stuff we had growing up!" But it is true that there is some good stuff lately... the Tick, the first season of Beakman's World (my college roommates and I worshipped Josie), and (ready? Here's the TMBG tie- in) the fabled Tiny Toons where they did a video to Particle Man! I have never seen this but have had people who know I am a TMBG basket- case tell me they saw it, which is downright cruel and makes me want to place their zygots in a cryogenic lab. Also (new topic), unless it is no longer available, the TMBG video is available from their club. Or else from my friend Roger (RSHUMAN@mibor.com) though if you write him, he will have no idea what this is about so please, help me confuse the boy. And last of all, though this group did not have any noticable effect on TMBG, many TMBG fans I know place the group King's X only slightly above They in terms of favorite band, which of course makes they and I just slightly more snobbish musically than the rest of you. Oh, and the sausage/dom- estication came from a cult classic short film from my area where a college student tries to sneak a sausage into his dorm but the sausage (a polska kielbasa) does not adapt to dorm life and must be set free in the woods. A real tear jerker. My dad can beat up your dad, Jasooooooon ------------------------------ Subject: Hi Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:47:13 +1000 (EST) From: "rAgEr" Hi everyone im pretty new to this list so bear with me. I know mike and Alex from utopia parkway as well as porkman and Ruprecht. Looking forward to many interesting messages from you all rAgEr ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: DM Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:19:43 -0400 (EDT) > > hey, does anybody know if They put out anything on vinyl? and do > They have rare white vinyl? i haven't looked much, but i don't want to keep > searching if there's nothing. I dunno about white vinyl but O'Tannenbaum, their 7" single is on red and green vinyl. > > and BTW, since there are a few dangermouse fans here, i found a > decent dm page. here's the address: www.webweaver.net/dm/index.shtml > i'm going to look for a Voltron one now. maybe even Tranzor Z. anyone heard > of that? I used to work with the woman who created that Danger Mouse page, she moved to California recently from Baltimore. Aparently it is one of the most (if not the most) popular DM page. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: cartoon Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:26:03 -0400 (EDT) How could we all forget Inspector Gadget?? -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Back to Skull Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:36:24 -0400 (EDT) Whoever mentioned the songs on BTS, Snail Shell, Snail Dust, Mrs. Train, and Hotel Detective, you forgot Ondine, the second song on the 5 song single. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 22:58:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: DM address, vinyl On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > hey, does anybody know if They put out anything on vinyl? and do > They have rare white vinyl? i haven't looked much, but i don't want to keep > searching if there's nothing. I have on vinyl (and I know there's more!): Self-titled (Big Blue Dog Album/Pink Album/Whatever!) Apollo 18 German Import Lincoln Radio-station Promo O Tannenbaum (small record) Why Does The Sun Shine (small record) If you have any others, and don't want them (for some demented reason) email me and I'll buy them off of you. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 21:10:29 -0700 From: CourToonie Subject: TMBG Karaoke Hey people, I was at the Virgin Megastore the other day and decided to peruse the Karaoke section for some reason (I am a laserdisc aficionado and came upon it). There were some 1980's music hits discs and I thought they were cool... and I came upon Pioneer's Hits from the 80's Volume 4 (I think), which had "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on it! Way cool! But then again, right after it is "Girl you Know it's True" by Milli Vanilli. Hahaha. What a joke... -- - Courtney L. Patubo - cpatubo@hooked.net - toonie@tmbg.org - cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo "Work hard & be scary..." -Robert Rodriguez ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 01:12:59 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re: DM address, vinyl >> hey, does anybody know if They put out anything on vinyl? and do >> They have rare white vinyl? >I have on vinyl (and I know there's more!): > > Self-titled (Big Blue Dog Album/Pink Album/Whatever!) > Apollo 18 German Import > Lincoln Radio-station Promo > O Tannenbaum (small record) > Why Does The Sun Shine (small record) > The first two albums were available here on vinyl. I own the self-titled LP. In Europe I bought Flood and Don't Let's Start (DLS is the equivalent of Miscellaneous T w/out Hello Radio, and it was released years before Misc. T.) Wow Apollo 18 on vinyl. "Fingertips" must look so cool. Do they seperate each section with a large band? Actually, I've never seen any TMBG collectors-type colered vinyl. the other Jason --------------------Doody Yeowmp---------------------- ===It's hard to keep a round table orderly.=== ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-218 ******************************