Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-219 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 219 Tuesday, 6 August 1996 Today's Topics: New TMBG Single. Re: Jay Sherman-Godfrey FW: (all sorts of things) Their concert on Aug.14 More TMBG on the radio TMBG in St. Louis Re: TMBG in St. Louis Re: Back to Skull Re: Back to Skull RE: Back to Skull Re: Back to Skull Re: Back to Skull An off topic entry!! So shoot me. Re: DM address, vinyl Bye...(sniff) back to skull single Re: TMBG Karaoke Re: Back to Skull Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-218 Re: back to skull single DEVO/misc Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 08:19:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: New TMBG Single. I heard the new single, Metal Detector twice this weekend on the radio. I thought it wasn't going to be released for a while or is this now the new one? ////> ____________ c-oo -BRAd \ - ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: Jay Sherman-Godfrey Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:34:22 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Andy (horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU) was asking ... > > Hey- > I've been trying for a long time to find out anything about Jay > Sherman-Godfrey. He's plays guitar on a few songs on John Henrey, and on > Mono Puff, Spondee, and various other TMBG-related projects. Flansburgh > always introduces him as being from the "World Famous Bluejays". I assume > this is a band, but I have never heard of them. I also remember hearing > something about him being on "Diesel Records", but I can't find them > either. Can anybody help me out? Cool ... something I can answer! Jay Sherman-Godfrey and Jeremy Tepper are the co-founders of both the World Famous Bluejays and Diesel Only Records. One is from Poughkeepsie, NY (I believe Jay) and the other is from Kalamazoo, hence their publishing company is Kalamakeepsie. Diesel Only is a VERY cool record company, dedicated to putting out vinyl 45's of NYC-area country bands, and getting them into jukeboxes nation-wide. Every so often they put out a CD compilation (there are two that I know of, Rig Rock Jukebox and Rig Rock Truckstop, and I've heard that a third is coming out at some point). The Five Chinese Brothers, one of my favorite bands, recorded their first singles for Diesel Only. Other stars who have recorded for Diesel Only are Mojo Nixon (one single with the World Famous Bluejays), Billy Joe Shaver, Kelly Willis (recently seen with Tony Maimone playing bass in her band), the Blue Chieftains, Going to Blazes, and the DB's Will Rigby (Red Bra & Panties was a single for Diesel Only long before it was on a Hello CD!). The World Famous Bluejays are basically the "house band" for Diesel Only. They play some great truckdriving tunes. Four stars, Fred-bob says check 'em out. > Thanks, Andy > Oh, while I have you all scouring the earth for info, how about way to > hear more by other Hello bands. Any bands in particular? Boy, if you can find a Nellories album, let me know! - Fred. -- Fred Boak Boston, MA ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 06:55:12 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: (all sorts of things) >Its like, HEY I saw TMBG in a mall (I wish) and then we >styart talkign about which malls we think are the best >and what stores we like in those malls. The list, in a sense is a big conversation, and in a conversation, the topic is never the same for a very long time. Like is said above, one thing leads to another, so the conversation is constantly changing. IMHO, if something started out about tmbg and just was gradually changed into a different topic, it's ok. But if someone just posts a message saying "Hey, who hates Oasis" or "Hey, here's the manual for " then that is totally off the topic. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Yeah, I do.....it's the same thing I told him (not verbatim) when he first posted this message and tried to make us all seem like complete imbeciles who didn't understand the underlying etiquette involved when posting to the TMBG list. shep ------------------------------ From: Loafboat@aol.com Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:22:58 -0400 Subject: Their concert on Aug.14 Does anyone know if Tradewinds in Sea Bright, NJ is an 18 and over? They are playing there and I really want to go, but I think I might be too young. (15) I saw Them in concert in Raleigh, NC a couple of years ago and They were AWESOME!! Have a nice day! Julie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 08:55:56 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: More TMBG on the radio Hello there THEY-ers.....(just thought that up, I think): This is primarily a message for those located in the Upstate New York area, but for those not residing in that area, it can also be a message of freedom and support for all who can't stand crappy playlists. I've mentioned that I have my own show, and I hate playlists with a passion unbridled. (It's on 90.5 FM....you can get it from Batavia to Syracuse.) If you can pick it up, take a listen to the show on Mondays at midnight, where I (Shep, duh) will be playing some tunes.,...and also making a more concerted effort to play TMBG. What I'm also asking is that if you listen to the show, and are a fan, or have friends listen to the show, write in to the station. Actually, if you can't get the show, write me anyways....I like getting mail. Plus, it irritates management to filter out my mail from the promo cd's they take and keep. So consider it your part of the anarchist movement. See, the more letters I get, the more support I get, the stronger the public's voice is with WBER. I mean, would you rather have the management pick another Garbage song as a test song, or have the public cry out, "NEW TMBG!"? Point well made, I think. My address at WBER is: Shep c/o WBER 2596 Baird Road Penfield, New York 14526 And for those who would like it, I'm putting together a compilation tape of some of the best unplayed music in Rochester, featuring TMBG, Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five, and a lot of other stuff that never gets played, and irritates me. The tape should be finished tonight.....requests for it must be sent via reg. mail to the station. I'll be dubbing and what not.this evening, so you can start writing immediately. Go ahead. Get your paper. For all who plan to write, my thanks ahead-of-time. shep Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 11:30:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG in St. Louis Hey kids! OK, I'm writing on behalf of another They fan from my town (who is not on the list) who is lucky enough to be able to make the trip to St. Louis to see Them at PointFest. Alas, I will not. But anyway, he's wondering if the show in question is still gonna happen. Does anybody have any definite info? Thanks. --Tara Oh, and yes Nola, TMBG are most definitely the third ass. :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:42:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: Re: TMBG in St. Louis Yes, the show is defintely going to happen on Sept 8. The tickets go on sale this Saturday at 10 a.m. On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > Hey kids! OK, I'm writing on behalf of another They fan from my town > (who is not on the list) who is lucky enough to be able to make the trip > to St. Louis to see Them at PointFest. Alas, I will not. But anyway, > he's wondering if the show in question is still gonna happen. Does > anybody have any definite info? Thanks. > > --Tara > > Oh, and yes Nola, TMBG are most definitely the third ass. :) > > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * > * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * > * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * > * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 14:10:07 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: Back to Skull >Whoever mentioned the songs on BTS, Snail Shell, Snail Dust, Mrs. >Train, and Hotel Detective, you forgot Ondine, the second song on >the 5 song single. This one person I know has Back To Skull and it doesn't have Ondine on it...... AmY ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:03:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: Re: Back to Skull > >Whoever mentioned the songs on BTS, Snail Shell, Snail Dust, Mrs. > >Train, and Hotel Detective, you forgot Ondine, the second song on > >the 5 song single. > > This one person I know has Back To Skull and it doesn't have Ondine on > it...... AmY > Back to Skull definitely DOES have Ondine on it. Track 1: Snail Shell Track 2: Ondine Track 3: Hotel Detective Track 4: Mrs. Train Track 5: Snail Dust -Brad tutterow@geohealthweb.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 19:33:06 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: Back to Skull --------- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org on behalf of Amy Sent: Monday, August 05, 1996 2:10 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Back to Skull >Whoever mentioned the songs on BTS, Snail Shell, Snail Dust, Mrs. >Train, and Hotel Detective, you forgot Ondine, the second song on >the 5 song single. This one person I know has Back To Skull and it doesn't have Ondine on it...... AmY - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - Make that two . . . Andreas What's with the new release? Of course no radio station my way would be intelligent enough to play it anyway (if it is out?). ASB ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Back to Skull Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:45:26 -0500 (EST) Braaaaad writes: > > Back to Skull definitely DOES have Ondine on it. >[...] Well, it all depends on the origin of your copy of BTS. US editions do indeed have Ondine, but the European version does NOT (it simply has one song less). So you Europhiles who payed big $$$ for that import version missed out... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Back to Skull Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:05:47 -0400 (EDT) > > Braaaaad writes: > > > > Back to Skull definitely DOES have Ondine on it. > >[...] > > Well, it all depends on the origin of your copy of BTS. US editions do indeed > have Ondine, but the European version does NOT (it simply has one song less). > So you Europhiles who payed big $$$ for that import version missed out... That really stinks, I wonder why they left off Ondine? It's not my favorite but it's a cool song and a nice b-side. It reminds me of New Order singles, depending on where you get it, UK, US, Canada, Germany, etc you'll get different songs or versions of songs, I've found the better ones tend to be the Canadian ones for some reason. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:05:56 PST Subject: An off topic entry!! So shoot me. From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) On the oft-abused Nirvana and NIN threads, here's some stuff from the July '96 issue of Mad. MAD VISITS THIS YEAR'S BLAHBLAHPALOSER (Yes, Lollapalooza, for all those of you who cannot see the pun.) Here, "Dennis Oddman", basketball star, interviews "Eddie Bitter", lead singer of "Pearl Ham". EB: People don't understand the types of pressure we deal with! The death of somebody like "Kurt NoBrain" reall makes you stop and think!! DO: Share with us - what exactly did you think? EB: I thought, "What a lucky bastard!!" He's gonna end up an ageless icon like Jimi Hendrix, and I'll be some embarrassing 65-year-old fart singing "Jeremy" at Six Flags!! Dennis Oddman visits with "Courtney Lump", who speaks on the importance of being a good example to your children, and family togetherness. CL: Nothing is more important to me than little "Lima Bean"! She comes with me everywhere! She was with me when we were getting packed, in the limo, and on my lap for the whole flight! DO: Hey, that's great!! Where is she? Can I see her? CL: Well, not now - I left her on one of those revolving luggage carousels. It's okay, thought; we're only in town for the one day!! (...later...) Why do we get bad press? BlowHole is a family act! DO: What family? The Royal family? The Manson family? What kind of example do you set? CL: A great one! You know how your mom says to wear clean underwear? I always do, and my fans will back me up on that!! Here, Dennis interviews "Trout Reznor" from "One Note Nails" DO: Trout, your band 's success proves that there's an audience for darker material! Does this reflect your inner anger? TR: Sure it does! How would you like to go through 12 years of school weighing 75 pounds and being named "Reznor"? Hope you like it, kids!! Nette ------------------------------ Date: 05 Aug 1996 18:51:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: DM address, vinyl Organization: organization for putting icecream on milkbottles Chris Kopenec wrote: >> On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: >> hey, does anybody know if They put out anything on vinyl? and do >> They have rare white vinyl? i haven't looked much, but i don't want to >> keep searching if there's nothing. > I have on vinyl (and I know there's more!): > Self-titled (Big Blue Dog Album/Pink Album/Whatever!) > Apollo 18 German Import > Lincoln Radio-station Promo > O Tannenbaum (small record) > Why Does The Sun Shine (small record) I have on vinyl: self-titled LP Lincoln LP Don't let's start EP (from Bar/None) Don't let's start EP (from Elektra, released during Flood period) They'll need a crane EP Birdhouse EP I think that's all the TMBG vinyl I have. I know there's Flood on vinyl and the "Don't let's start compilation" on vinyl, but I didn't buy them at the time. :( > If you have any others, and don't want them (for some demented reason) > email me and I'll buy them off of you. No, I still want to keep them. :) _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 16:58:28 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: Bye...(sniff) Hi all. Just wanted to send in a note thanking you all for being. I am changing jobs and no longer have access. Someday soon when I go into withdrawal and buy my own machine (soon I hope) I will return. I will get mail here through Wednesday, and then I'm gone... Thanks to all for some great reading and ideas. I'd like to thank Leo as well for running such a great list so well, and for taking such good care of all of us. Hope to see some of you at the shows... (sniffle...snork...sob) Bye! 8~-( -Jason And nothing's smelling like a rose But I don't care if no one's coming up for air I know nothing's gonna change my clothes ever anymore Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders What the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 11:32:24 -1000 (HST) From: Steven Osborn Subject: back to skull single right, i found both versions of the single at Tower, the regular american one, and the import..the american version had all five songs on it, while the import (in the perennial thin, flimsy import case) only had four, missing ondine... AND it was a dollar more.. you get an extra song for a dollar less in america... im getting verklempt... God bless America, land... that....I...........love. just make sure to get the five song single...its mo' bettah.. steven ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 19:06:12 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: TMBG Karaoke >Hey people, >I was at the Virgin Megastore the other day and decided to peruse the >Karaoke section for some reason (I am a laserdisc aficionado and came >upon it). There were some 1980's music hits discs and I thought they >were cool... and I came upon Pioneer's Hits from the 80's Volume 4 (I >think), which had "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on it! Way cool! But then >again, right after it is "Girl you Know it's True" by Milli Vanilli. >Hahaha. What a joke... Didn't that song come out in 1990? Maybe the people who produced the collection believe that a new decade starts on a one (i.e. 1991, 2001, etc.) Sarah Cooke "Today, the only constant in life is change." --James Burke ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 19:11:00 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Back to Skull >Whoever mentioned the songs on BTS, Snail Shell, Snail Dust, Mrs. >Train, and Hotel Detective, you forgot Ondine, the second song on >the 5 song single. There are two versions of Back to Skull, the import and domestic. The import says "Back to Skull EP" on the front, and contains 4 of the afore-mentioned songs minus Ondine. The domestic copy doesn't say "EP" on it, and contains all five songs. Right, Steve? Sarah Cooke "Today, the only constant in life is change." --James Burke ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 01:42:35 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-218 I have nothing to say about this post, so I'm gonna tell everyone how my cool band wrote 5 or 6 songs in three hours today. Twas pretty cool, I must say. Mark "I like human beings... FUCK YOU" - James Broke A Fucking Beach Chair ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 00:46:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: back to skull single > just make sure to get the five song single...its mo' bettah.. If anyone wants to sell a BTS euro version with only the 4 songs, let me know *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 02:22:12 -0400 (EDT) Subject: DEVO/misc Someone mentioned seeing DEVO at Lollapalooza, and i just had to request that the moment anyone hears of the spudboys playing on the east coast, please please please e-mail me, for i will drop everything, sell my cat to get tickets, just to see them do Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA. I'm soooo jealous! Furthermore, a trivia question: does anyone know when and if Graham Maby (Joe Jackson's bass player) toured w/ TMBG? I'm not sure whether I saw him w/ Them a few years ago or not. Also, has he played on any of Their recordings, other than the WDTSS ep? Thanks for any info, guys. stevie. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-219 ******************************