Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 22 Monday, 22 January 1996 Today's Topics: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 About "Whirlpool" Re: About "Whirlpool" Toads explanation List Stats She's Actual Size (was: Re: Hi to the list ) Re: toads, dc Re: Terrible Night Re: List Stats horns? horns? Re: MSTie Morons 8o) Re: Money money money Re: SenSurround and Money Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com (Jay Brotz) Date: 20 Jan 96 22:48:00 -0500 Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 Organization: Med TechNet >Marion speaks, stormy pinkness. We go nuts at x-mas time. does any one know >where copies can be found? I am also interested in slightly less than legal >TMBG cd's. >any suggestions? > Well, I went to some archive on the internet and downloaded rather large portions of both stormy pinkness and we go nuts at christmas time (which was cool cause I had never heard of those before.) Cant remember exactly where they were.... j -- | Internet: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com | Fidonet: Jay Brotz 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 11:59:37 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: About "Whirlpool" Ben or Been here. About "Whirlpool": I had spent the longest time trying to distinguish who's singing in the TMBG version of "Whirlpool." I had thought that one person sang the whole song, but now I disagree. I believe that Flansburgh is singing the first half of the song, and then Linnell is singing the second half. Their voices to my ear sound very similar in this song--somewhat distant and muffled. You can check for yourself by calling Ben's Dial-A-Song: (614) 823-2583 because not only is there for a limited time the Meat Puppets' version, but also the rare bonus song, the TMBG version of "Whirlpool"! The weather started getting rough, Ben or Been or Dean Ween or Gene and don't forget Mean Ween (obscene) Read your Hayakawa ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 13:47:04 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: About "Whirlpool" >About "Whirlpool": >I had spent the longest time trying to distinguish who's singing in the >TMBG version of "Whirlpool." I had thought that one person sang the whole >song, but now I disagree. I believe that Flansburgh is singing the first >half of the song, and then Linnell is singing the second half. Their >voices to my ear sound very similar in this song--somewhat distant and >muffled. if i recall correctly, at the philly concert they did split the song up like that. i'm going to listen to my TMBG WDTSS CD right now to see if i can figure out who is singing what. jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'i should be allowed to blurt the merest idea if by random whim one occurs to me' -- TMBG ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:25:16 -0500 Subject: Toads explanation I gotten a couple of flames regarding my positive review of the toads show.. so here's a couple things you should realize.... Toads is loacated in New Haven CT which is the biggest punk/ska scene in the entire state.. if you think the crowds were uncontrolled at the giants concert you should've seen them during Beck, or the Bosstones show.. The high level of punk/ska fans would bring a lot of people to the concert.. tmbg fit somewhere in the vicinity of punk music.. toads sold way to many tickets to the show... of course they're in it for the money so they're gonna sell as many as possible.. you get a lot of kids who are used to crazy punk shows into a small club and start playing loud music you kinda expect the ensuing craziness.. i was two people away from the front of the stage and it really didnt bother me, and the john's didnt seem to really care either.. especially playing Stompbox with such ferocity, and dig my grave you gotta expect a pit to erupt..i dont appreciate having to keep an eye out for crowd surfers either but hey you gotta deal with it... i had a great time, all my friend had a great time, and we met all kinds of really cool people (wow a show where people were actually friendly enough to talk, sing, dance, and do all other kinds of weird shit together before, during and after the show) it was one of the coolest shows i've ever attended and if you were expecting a small crowd with no moshing, surfing, and slamming... you were probably mistaken.. so just deal with it.. the plaguerat ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:32:04 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: List Stats Hey, Leo, how 'bout some stats now that the Holidays are over? I'd like to know how many folks are reading this stuff. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ From: U.DAUFENBACH@cbr.aworld.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: She's Actual Size (was: Re: Hi to the list ) Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 0:00:00 GMT Hello Tim! > Point to reference: "She's Actual Size"... that would hearken bcak to the > [...] > she changed my mind...") > See? So "she" is kind of a vehicle that impresses the narrator by "her" beauty or something else? Yes, I also thought so sometimes, but I just don't know how to fit in that "Her face hangs in portrait on the post- office wall"-line. That seems to be a good hint, but to what? Has anyone on this list seen the inside of the post-office where the info club mail goes to? (If I ever come to New York in my lifetime, that post-office is on my city guide list - I promise! =8-) There's another - IMHO important - point to mention. Before the song starts, there is a short piano ding-a-ling and a voice saying: "Take you to Brooklyn" AFAI understand. And - mmmh - AFAIK New-York cabbies have black'n'white squares on their sides, don't they? That would explain the "squares may look distant in ... drives away" quite well, I think. Bye U w e ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 21:06:03 -0500 Subject: Re: toads, dc In a message dated 96-01-21 03:26:47 EST, you write: >Well Plagerat's review of songs played in Ct sounds just like the DC set, but >I don't remember hearing any new song??! Are you sure they played a new one? >I doubt they would have played it there and not the day before in DC? >You were right about wall to wall crowds, it was just swaying back and forth >and >you either went with the motion or got trampled. Fun stuff! >Who's Opus? Isn't he a penguin? well they announced the song as the first time they ever played it, so im supposing it was.. maybe they just like toads better.. they even got a picture of the band on the ceiling there... Opus isnt a penguin... Opus is this guy on the newsgroup who offered a free egg filled with silly putty to who ever found him first.. i won i won i won!!! the plaguerat ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Terrible Night Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 21:14:24 -0500 (EST) > > >I realized that I just don't > >enjoy going to TMBG shows anymore (this was my tenth, I think). ...I am > >>completely sick of all the alterna-schmucks who find it > >necessary to push and shove and "pass the dude" and basically make life > >miserable for anyone who would rather listen to the songs than injure > >others. ....I hate sweaty > >people shoving me just to get ten feet closer to the stage. ...I miss the > >days >when they would stop the show to tell over-excited > >frat boys to settle down. ...I'm used to ska shows in Poughkeepsie > >where no one ever shows up, so you don't have to deal with idiot wanna-be > >slammers. > > At last someone on the list describes a TMBG concert accurately! The last > time I saw Them (New Years Eve, 1993) I decided it was my last TMBG > concert. The "slam dancers" were nothing but idiotic and irritating. > Ruins the concert, just about. And if They are touring WITHOUT HORNS now, > that makes it easier to miss their shows, I think. Love the albums--play > 'em loud--but who needs to be pushed around by a bunch of drunk underage > assholes... I can't speak for CT. but I have to disagree with this truthfullness of TMBG concerts. Having gone to many TMBG shows in the past I must say that this past one has realy been the only one where it's been a lot of shoving and crowd surfing. 95% of the other shows had considerate people and very little or no crowd surfing. As for the horns, I am sure they will be back. They are such an integral part of the Giants show and music! They must be just taking a break, ya gotta remember how much the Giants tour, a lot more than usual groups an d they probably just gave them a break, unless they are getting new horn players? Maybe the trumpet and trombone player went onto other stuff? In any case I'm sure some horn section will be in place soon enough. > > On a happier note, THANK YOU to everyone who told me to go out and buy MOXY > FRUVOUS and BEN FOLDS FIVE. They're both fantastic! I'm listening to Ben Moxy Fruvous is awesome. For anyone who hasn't heard, Moxy is going to be playing at the 8x10 in Baltimore on Feb. 1 and other locations I'm sure (I dont' know where though). Bargainville is great, I haven't gotten Wood yet as it is not exactly easy to get in the US. Once I get some money I plan on calling up HMV Toronto to get me a copy! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: List Stats Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 21:20:47 -0500 (EST) > Hey, Leo, how 'bout some stats now that the Holidays are over? I'd like to > know how many folks are reading this stuff. Sure! Subscribers: 238 tmbg-digest 146 tmbg-list 384 total Mailstats: Statistics from Wed Sep 6 20:23:32 1995 M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to Mailer 0 0 0K 5721 9800K prog 1 0 0K 12 205K *file* 3 6163 15264K 69 1198K local 4 3438 7281K 272569 897853K smtp ======================================== T 9601 22545K 278371 909056K That's right. That big number on the right means that 909 megabytes of tmbg mail have been processed since Sept 6, 1995. Pretty impressive. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 20:34:16 -0600 From: "Pwyll Twiceborn, Lord of the Summertree" Subject: horns? i really don't know if the horn section is gone or not, but i wouldn't consider them an integral part of the band. They went 10 years before they ever got anybody to play with them on stage, but people who have only been there for 1 or 2 are integral? i don't think so. I heard an interview where they said they added the band with them live just to make things different. maybe they are ready to move along to something else, bigger and better? whirlpool... first time Flans second go around Linnell... paul the destroyer ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: horns? Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:09:27 -0500 (EST) > > i really don't know if the horn section is gone or not, but i wouldn't > consider them an integral part of the band. They went 10 years before they > ever got anybody to play with them on stage, but people who have only been > there for 1 or 2 are integral? i don't think so. I heard an interview > where they said they added the band with them live just to make things > different. maybe they are ready to move along to something else, bigger and > better? > > whirlpool... first time Flans second go around Linnell... I see your point about not having horns for so many years, but now it seems that they are an integral part of the band, especially with all the new songs with horns and such. They've been played a few years with horns now and the addition is no small thing, they are just so much better with horns, it would be a step backwards to get rid of them IMHO. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 15:56:05 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: MSTie Morons 8o) > shows...They Might Be Giants is NOT a popular saying, it is NOT in any of > my common Cliche' books, and had you read the FAQ, you would know that they > got their name from an old Sherlock Holmes program. If you read the FAQ, you'd know that They got their name from a movie about a Sherlock Holmes wannabe, not a program. n> This is not a flame, merely a rude-sounding correction. exactly.... lebo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:04:52 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Money money money > Who's to say they even wrote it especially for the soundtrack > anyway. What does anyone else think? Well, They play it in concerts where not a whole lot of Power Ranger freaks go to have fun... I didn't see any six year old in the pit at the Troc yelling "GO GO POWER RANGERS!" So, the way I see it, They wrote the song and decided to lend it to that damn movie so that They could make some more money. But it wasn't written just for the soundtrack, otherwise They wouldn't have the dignity to play it live (I hope). Conclusion? TMBG wrote SenSurround after JH was made, the MMPR guys wanted it, They sold it... but not out. The end. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 01:53:17 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: SenSurround and Money jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) wrote: >> Who's to say they even wrote it especially for the soundtrack >>anyway. What does anyone else think? > >I seem to remember list members writing about Them performing the song live >well before the MMPR movie was talked about. Yeah, I saw the first public performance of it on March 30th at the Randolph-Macon show. I recall them saying as an intro to the song something like "You'll probably be hearing more of this song if things work out" (well, _kinda_ like that...it was a long time ago). That doesn't really confirm or deny that they wrote the song especially for the soundtrack, but I don't think they did. Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-22 *****************************