Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-221 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 221 Thursday, 8 August 1996 Today's Topics: Re: contacting Hello bands Re: multi-instrumentalists Doing my part to recruit the fans Re: Graham[er] Graham Maby Re: Graham[er] FW: Graham Maby Re: Graham[er] Instruments FW: The apocalypse Re: Instruments Re: Graham[er] Hmmm, postal service Hey... Re: MST3K Re: Dial-a-Song They Country HEEEEEEEEERRRREE"S BROTHER JOHNY!!!!!!! Tryptophane, finally + Other stuff Re: They Country Re: They Country Graham bands to see Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: contacting Hello bands Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:43:16 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Andy (horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU) was asking us ... > > Hey, Andy ... any time! > > > > Oh, while I have you all scouring the earth for info, how about way to > > > hear more by other Hello bands. > > > > Any bands in particular? > Yes, actually: > *Chaz and the Motorbikes (I know CHarlie Chesterman played with a band > called "Scrufy the Cat", but I can't find any of their albums) Charlie's a Boston-based musician, so I know a bit about him. "Scruffy the Cat" definitely put out several albums, but I don't know if any of their stuff is out on CD. They came out in the mid-80's, and I know I have several albums, all on vinyl. Charlie was also in a local band called "Harmony Rockets". I'm pretty sure I saw a small-label CD at a local record store, but I don't know if it will get wide release or not. I know Charlie's got at least one solo album out (in the last year or so), and maybe two. If you can get to Boston, Andy, you should check out "Newbury Comics" (yeah, I know it says "comics", but they're a good local chain of music stores). > *Spondee, although I doubt they exist outside of Hello Shoot ... my Hello CD's are all at home ... I can't remember who's in Spondee! > *Dave Schramm: has he ever released any other solo, acoustic stuff? All > I've heard him do is w/ Yo La Tengo I don't know ANYTHING about this guy! > Are the Candy Butchers in Hello '96? (which I am ordering tommorrow, > jeez, took me long enough to scrap $40 together!)..I was talking the the > singer from the C.B.'s during a TMBG show a while ago, and he said they > were supposed to be releasing a Hello disc, as well as a full-length one > of their own... Yeah, I think they are in Hello '96 ... plus, Mike Viola (the vocalist) is on the Mono Puff CD. - Fred. ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: multi-instrumentalists Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:48:48 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. > Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 01:28:36 -0400 (EDT) > From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> > Subject: Re: Graham > > He has only started touring with them this year. He played on > Christmas Cards, WDTSS, 2 and 4 on BTS, and 11 and 14 on JH. Incidentally, > he also played bass and guitar (for Joe Jackson) on Statue of Liberty, > which is on the XTC tribute. Eric Sanko played bass on 25 O'Clock, which > is TMBG and on the same album. Eric was also the bassist on Hello the Band > #2, and on Mono Puff (Hello and Right). > Ryan Staib (97starya@james.hawken.edu) asked the question: > Is it just me, or does everyone in TMBG play two or more > instruments except JF? Well ... he only plays guitar NOW, but in the old days, JF used to play a brass instrument or two. I've seen him play a big ol' marching band bass drum (Flood tour), a tuba (Flood tour), and two trumpets at once (Flood tour (I think), Apollo 18 tour ... ooo ... what song was this?!?) - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 07:27:16 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Doing my part to recruit the fans Thought I'd pass along this little anecdote: Monday night, whilst I did my radio show, young Sarah (KdsInThHal@aol.com) called me up and wanted to hear TMBG, requesting "The World's Address" but lo! Not the regular version! The remix off of MiscT! And so it came to be that I played it, and it was good (longer than I expected, but oh well).....plus I got about 7 or 8 calls from people wanting to know what it was. So people were interested. This has been a "yes, it's TMBG related" e-mail. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com P.S. Anyone from here going to the Clifford Ball in Plattsburgh for Phish? ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Graham[er] Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:47:44 -0500 (EST) > PS#2. Has anyone else noticed that JL consistently messes up the part in > Don't Let's Start where it should go 'When you are alone, you are the cat > you are the phone, you are an animal?' He keeps saying 'A animal,' which > is probably the worst thing a native speaker can do with the english > language while still sane. They don't usually put grammatical errors in > their songs ('If there's any more people around' being an exception), so > it's quite odd that he should do it frequently. > You don't suppose that maybe, just maybe, he's playing around with the song because singing it exactly the same way becomes really tedious after the first several hundred times?? Besides, that's hardly the worst possible grammar error. Errors which make the intended meaning ambiguous (or which change it altogether) are much more serious. The a/an "rule" deals more with the mechanics of speech than with the transmission of information. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 13:13:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Shoestraps and Eyelashes Subject: Graham Maby I would agree that Graham is the better bassist...A great reference is to check out his playing on the phenominal Joe Jackson double live disk (80/86) that's out there..particularly his solo on "Fools in Love" and the funky version of "Can't get what you want..." although, of course, Tony can cut his own too BTW, I know Graham played the Providence gig at Lupo's sometime earlier this year..but i can't remember if he was at the Northampton, MA gig in March... Also, I have heard from someone that he was responsible for the Seinfeld bass parts-- but alas have no proof of this as well :( Can anybody help? --Jay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 14:19:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Graham[er] Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Aug-96 Re: Graham[er] by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > You don't suppose that maybe, just maybe, he's playing around with the > song because singing it exactly the same way becomes really tedious after > the first several hundred times?? > > Besides, that's hardly the worst possible grammar error. Errors which > make the intended meaning ambiguous (or which change it altogether) > are much more serious. The a/an "rule" deals more with the mechanics > of speech than with the transmission of information. 1. He's singing the song, and it's hard to say, in the middle of a song "whoops, that should have been '*an*' animal..." 2. You are correct in saying it is not a grammatical error. However, DLS *does* have a grammatical error in it, and it's one that has sort of been brought into the language and almost passes for being correct - "No one in the world ever gets what *they* want..." Technically it should he/she/it, but that clearly doesn't fit in the song, and I guess John was just trying to be PC. Of course, there's the *other* grammatical error... that being "Don't Let's Start," which I suppose could be considered correct depending on where you're from. And whether or not you end sentences with prepositions. 3. There's something called artistic license - and it basically means that they can say things however they want if it fits. (Examples: Purple Toupee - "Somebody put their fingers in the president's ears...", Mammal - "Their names are called, they raise a paw..." [I think this is just ambigous], Cage & Aquarium - "Somebody's readin' your mind... they're digging ...") Just my 2.45 cents ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:23:27 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Graham Maby Also, I have heard from someone that he was responsible for the Seinfeld bass parts-- but alas have no proof of this as well :( Can anybody help? I would think that you could find out by watching the credits at the end of a Seinfeld episode......but they do fly by rather fast. Now I'm going to watch tonight just to find out. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Graham[er] Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 14:48:03 -0500 (EST) > Lawrence P. Solomon writes: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Aug-96 Re: Graham[er] by Matthew > Coon@omni.cc.pur > > You don't suppose that maybe, just maybe, he's playing around with the > > song because singing it exactly the same way becomes really tedious after > > the first several hundred times?? > > [...] > > 1. He's singing the song, and it's hard to say, in the middle of a song > "whoops, that should have been '*an*' animal..." > > [...] > 3. There's something called artistic license... > Note: It's not a simple "slip of the tongue" - he has been singing it this way frequently and regularly. I think that this is how he sang it at the last five shows I went to. It may be artistic license in the sense that it is his song and he can sing it however he wants, but do recall that "an animal" sounds fine, was the original formulation, and is the way it has been sung the vast majority of times. The original poster seemed to be concerned that Linnell, even though he had correctly sung "an animal" on the recorded version, was now mistakenly singing *a* animal - as if he had forgotten some basic grammar rules and perhaps didn't realize that this is considered incorrect. I seemed to be saying that Mr. Linnell is not a blubbering idiot, incapable of stringing together a sentence, but is merely having some fun with the song. Remember, he's been singing this song for about a decade now, and without some type of occasional variation to hold his attention it would surely be a very boring endeavor. For this reason, the "I don't want to live in this world anymore" segment has been growing steadily less complete and less coherent, on average, for the last several years - sometimes he just screams "Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh" through that part of the song now. This doesn't mean that he's forgotten the words or that he has developed a speech impediment. It means that he basically has to sing this song in every concert, and after hundreds of performances he apparently welcomes the chance to introduce a little variety. Would anyone rather that he become sick of the song and stop performing it instead? He's just having some fun, it's just a song, we should really just relax :-) > Of course, there's the *other* grammatical error... that being > "Don't Let's Start," which I suppose could be considered correct > depending on where you're from. And whether or not you end sentences > with prepositions. There's no grammatical error in the phrase "Don't Let's Start." It's a construction that is relatively uncommon these days, but it is perfectly correct. You really threw me with the preposition comment, which I now take to have been a self-reference. At first I was thinking, "But there are no prepositions *in* the phrase, 'Don't Let's Start!'" :-) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 16:42:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Instruments Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> wrote: > > Is it just me, or does everyone in TMBG play two or more > instruments except JF? Actually, Flans has been known to play drums (at least, a snare and high hat), as well as his usual guitar. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 15:52:31 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: The apocalypse For all of you Boston Nancies- In my gym yesterday, i heard SMTS being played on KISS 108. And then the concert announcement- quite a slick sounding one at that. Now, Kiss in Boston is probably different than some of the others in other cities. This is the perpetual Color Me Bad, Prince,Sheena Eastonm,Maucarana station. I thought the end would be near when 2 Step came on MTV, but the end is coming........ Was Two Step ever on MTV? *shudder* Oh....for anyone who's been getting interested in Soul Coughing.....their e-mail address is Soulcghing@aol.com. I've written, but received no response. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 20:02:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Instruments > Actually, Flans has been known to play drums (at least, a snare > and high hat), as well as his usual guitar. Hmmm... well, in that case, I play the drums, too. What I meant was, if Flans didn't play the guitar, would he actually be able to get by playing another instrument. Everyone else in TMBG has 2 or more main instruments (and has been recorded playing them on an album). On the grammar issue: I just wondered if he was making a mistake or not. Example: on the HoB performance, he gets the words to NOKMP wrong. I wondered if he was doing it on DLS or not. I know it's not _really_ the worst grammatical error possible, but it just sounds pretty bad. There are other ways to change the song without making it dumb-sounding. I'm not really being critical, I just thought it was kind of odd. PS I liked the little Graham[er] pun. RS@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 20:06:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Graham[er] Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Aug-96 Re: Graham[er] by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > I seemed to be saying that Mr. Linnell is not a blubbering idiot, incapable > of stringing together a sentence, but is merely having some fun with the > song. Remember, he's been singing this song for about a decade now, and > without some type of occasional variation to hold his attention it would > surely be a very boring endeavor. Yeah... I think I meant to direct my comments at the original post, but I couldn't find it :) >comment, which I now take to have been a self-reference. At first >I was thinking, "But there are no prepositions *in* the phrase, hehe... it was the previous sentence. I do that a lot, actually. A preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with... >For this reason, the "I don't want to live in this world anymore" segment >has been growing steadily less complete and less coherent, on average, >for the last several years - sometimes he just screams "Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh" >through that part of the song now. This doesn't mean that he's forgotten >the words or that he has developed a speech impediment. It means that >he basically has to sing this song in every concert, and after hundreds of >performances he apparently welcomes the chance to introduce a little variety. Just like "I don't want the world, I just want your half." Variety is a good thing. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:46:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Hmmm, postal service I just got the card about Mono Puff in the mail today. I'm glad I now know when the album will be released even though I already bought it on June 11... and I know that everyone here was talking about this card a while ago... But there's something rather odd on mine. It had the "D" sticker on it, and I thought I saw some writing underneath it... so I peeled it off, and there is, written in what looks like magic marker, "MS" Does anyone know if this is a post office thing or a Mono Puff thing, and if Mono Puff, what it signifies? Probably just an unrelated thing... ------------------------------ Subject: Hey... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Michael J. Langdon) Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 22:48:23 EDT Hey kids, it's your old pal ruprecht, just wanted to say hi from my new e-mail acount, soon I should be rid of that godforsaken aol... anyway, hi, let me know if my .sig looks right, those of you using pine... ============================================================================= spooky man named Ike ============================================================================= I wish that i could jump out if my .sig ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:33:35 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: MST3K On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Emily Lerche Kerr wrote: > Because most of us are MST3K fans, and speaking of MST3K, I read in a > newspaper yesterday that the guy who plays Dr. Forester is leaving the > show. I think it's sad. I just thought that everyone may want to know > that. I don't know when he's leaving or anything, but haven't they stopped > making new shows for a while? > *sigh* > > Ana Ng > Well, lessee... so far the show has lost its original creator Joel (and for me, really, the show ended there), then Frank (and started to die a horrible death), and now Dr. Forrester (now it's a horrible stench lingering in the heat). Much like losin Josh Weinstein, losing Trace will not only take away Dr. Forrester, but also the voice of Crow T. Robot. So now I still refuse to watch one of my favourite shows, and ask only, is Comedy Central at least still playing repeats? Nothing can beat the glory days of the second and third season ("He tried to kill him with a forklift, ole!"). obTMBG- I love that boot video! That 120 minutes at the beginning is a hoot! The host is such a jerk, I loved seeing the Johns get a little hostile at his calling Birdhouse something to the effect of "a cheesy love song". Linnel's "Well, Dave, its about a nightlight." was great. It was also nice seeing the Tiny Toons again, and seeing the videos for the first time. I also loved seeing The Statue GMH again, the only TMBG video I've ever seen on MTV. Now that I know the songs mean something, and so I expected the videos to as well, but now I discover that they be mighty confusing and odd. Especially Puppethead. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:35:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Dial-a-Song On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Brett W Maguire wrote: > Hi all > > I've been trying to get through to the Dial a Song for the past couple of days. I've been trying at all hours with no success. The number that I have been dialing is: 718-387-6962 > > Whenever I call, the phone just keeps ringing. Has the number changed? > > later, > Brett > > I had the same problem. I sat there and it rang and rang (I was so excited, Dial-A-Song line range!) and finally I received a message saying "Your party will not pick up. Please hang up and try again..." or something like that. I was too disappointed. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:03:52 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: They Country Well as usual with my letters a few more what ifs..... Listening to Mono Puff lately (got my postcard today - yeah!) I just started thinking about the possibility of They hitting it big as a country band... Don't Break the Heart, So Long Mocking bird, and don't I have the right are blatantly country songs. Now I've never been a country fan - I used to be completely anti-country but I have heard some thats ok and some that I actually !like! Country music is basically becoming a pop music for the nineties and because of this there is basically a transitional period going on. So a a lot of different sounding country stuff is coming out. So riddle me this . . . if They recorded a few songs that sounded more country and released them to CMT instead of MTV I think they would actually get some airplay and become popular. What do you think? Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are Parrot Heads, and so forth... What should we call ourselves? "Who'll teach me drama?, pezman ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 00:01:26 -0500 (EST) Subject: HEEEEEEEEERRRREE"S BROTHER JOHNY!!!!!!! Alright. I'll start off by saying sorry for my absense. I crashed my com. when I deleted DBLSPACE. I've got some catching up to do. Here's replys to all that I have read from the past two weeks and a little from myself. Survey: Fave album:Flood (No, I'm not a front runner) Fave songs: 1)Birdhouse in your Soul 2)The Statue got me High 3) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Fave giant:Linnel (only because we are evidently long lost brothers) Fave video:Birdhouse in your soul Least fave album:Superfueled Freakasickle Least fave songs:Any I haven't heard yet (a temporary response) Lyrics: DWDTN- "In order to win just you gotta hang ten" Flans leaving: I'll think it's a good idea, when K.D. Lang is strait and Marilyn Manson is worth listening to (in other words, never). My own input: Ordered merchandise- I finally got my Millionare set: Bird, Sailor, Shot glasses Driving- My driving instructer is not only a Giants fan, but he's one of the origional ones from '87. Needless to say, he's my new best friend. Don't I have the Right?- I can't stop listening to that song. I finally got my Mono Puff cd back. It has actually tied with Tryptophane as one of the best songs from Mono Puff. BTW- Has anyone figured out what Trytophane is? I think it's a new kind of drug. Coffee exploding- Poor milk in a cup of coffee or tea. Go on, I'll wait. Notice it splashes outward? It explodes outward. 3DO- Anyone with a panasonic 3DO, play Tryptophane to the 3rd and 4th music displays. The ultimate question: How many musical catagories does TMBG fit into? 42 Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 01:01:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Tryptophane, finally + Other stuff Brother John Blackhawk wrote: > Don't I have the Right?- > I can't stop listening to that song. I finally got my Mono Puff > cd back. It has actually tied with Tryptophane as one of the best songs from > Mono Puff. BTW- Has anyone figured out what Trytophane is? I think it's a > new kind of drug. I also love Don't I have the Right?, it was my fave Mono Puff song till I heard Tryptophane. As for that song, I think I have heard the word 'tryptophane' before, around Thanksgiving time. If I remember correctly, it is a chemical present in turkey that makes people tired, which is one reason many Thanksgiving celebraters fall asleep shortly after the dinner. And in the song, there is the line about the 'leg of the bird' (turkey) and the 'special day observed' (Thankgsiving) That's my interp, anyhow. Feel free to back me up in this :) > Coffee exploding- > Poor milk in a cup of coffee or tea. Go on, I'll wait. Notice it > splashes outward? It explodes outward. Actually, someone posted a the explanation for this. I guess Flans and whoever else was with him at the time were watching a bad black and white French movie. When a woman poured milk in her coffee, it looked like it exploded. Just my input for the day :) Only 9 days left to DC! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 01:04:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: They Country Pez Man wrote: > Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call > ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are > Parrot Heads, and so forth... What should we call ourselves? I like Ginat Heads. It gives a neat mental picture too ;) Or maybe we should be Puppet Heads, but then everyone would want to put their hands inside us. Eeeewwwww. > > "Who'll teach me drama?, Dr. Kildare will :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 01:12:13 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: Re: They Country On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Pez Man wrote: > > Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call > ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are > Parrot Heads, and so forth... What should we call ourselves? Hey, I think we're called Giant Heads...though there are certain connotations to that that are both complimentary, and mildly questionable... Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head." They Might Be Giants/King Missile/Ween/XTC/REM/Art Of Noise/Yello RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996 Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." Long live the Hud. -----------------------http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 01:52:05 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Graham >I believe he played on the "O Tannenbaum" 45. I don't remember >which song offhand (could be both). > > -Sean Why you're right! I just checked my copy of "O Tannenbaum," and lo and behold, while Tony Maimone played on the title track, Graham Maby played on "Christmas Cards." Thanks to all of you who responded so promptly to my (FA?)Q!!! stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 02:03:19 -0400 (EDT) Subject: bands to see On the subject of tours; I've seen a few shows this summer and by far the most fun was (believe it or not) Cheap Trick. They were great! I don't know why I never liked them as a kid. Also it was a nice switch to be among the youngest people in the audience, since when I see TMBG I'm usually one of the oldest (I'll be 28 in 2 weeks -- send gifts now!) I caught one of Rick Nielsen's picks (actually, it stuck to my sweat) and now it sits on my computer next to my Flans pick. So if they play near you, I say, go go go!!! Getting punchy, stevie. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-221 ******************************