Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-222 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 222 Friday, 9 August 1996 Today's Topics: PRE-POSITIONAL Re: contacting Hello bands 9:30 Club Re: HEEEEEEEEERRRREE"S BROTHER tryptophane!!!!!!! Re: They Country Re: They Country Re: 9:30 Club 9:30 Voting - Almost Final Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-221 RE: MST3K Re: Graham + OAT TRYPTOPHANE Moving to the sun... Pencil Rain? drama? 9:30 Space Ghost Tryp-to-flames (ooh, a pun based on the contents of the message!) A humble request...and an offer Other TNBG Cd's Again with the video... IRC trouble + TMBGand the Beatles Wreckin the masses Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gsm_kth@de.lucent.com Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:23:22 +0200 Subject: PRE-POSITIONAL >hehe... it was the previous sentence. I do that a lot, actually. A >preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with... ..Certainly, it's a bad thing with which to end your sentences, although it is a mistake of which many people seem to fall foul, and for which few people are corrected should they make the afore-mentioned mistake. Unfortunately, whilst it is a grammar point of which people should be reminded, it is also a very long and really boring way to speak or write. > Listening to Mono Puff lately (got my postcard today - yeah!) I just >started thinking about the possibility of They hitting it big as a >country band... Don't Break the Heart, So Long Mocking bird, and don't I If TMBG ever, EVER go all-out country I will never listen to them again - just think, Flans singing "Thar's a tear, in mah beer"... and the phrase "y'all" just wouldn't suit a New York accent......would it??? >Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call >ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are I call myself Fritz, everyone else calls me Fritz too....... more names and I'll start getting confused. Personally I always thought terms like "Dead Heads" were a bit sad - "fan" always worked for me. Fritz ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:17:01 -0400 Subject: Re: contacting Hello bands I'm asking again just because I'm desperate. Anyone have any info on The Nelories or those cute little girls I saw at the Avalon in '95?? (are they on the Hello CD??) Princess ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: 9:30 Club Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:28:47 -0400 (EDT) Well your esteemed list maintainer (that's me!) is going to make an appearence at the 9:30 club show in DC. I've got a couple of questions for all you list.people: 1) Can someone tell me where the 9:30 Club is? 2) What happened to the idea of all the list.people meeting before the show or something? Are those of us who have to stay overnight all in the same hotel? -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: HEEEEEEEEERRRREE"S BROTHER tryptophane!!!!!!! Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:49:11 -0500 (EST) > My driving instructer is not only a Giants fan, but he's one of the > origional ones from '87. Needless to say, he's my new best friend. > What, was the first run better somehow? > Has anyone figured out what Trytophane is? I think it's a new kind of drug. > Tryptophan(e)... It's just an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein. It's "produced" by the action of a pancreatic enzyme on certain proteins. I think it's L-tryptophan that's associated with turkey day gluttony, making you sleepy when it accumulates in your body (but I'm no biochemist). m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:16:36 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: They Country > Fritz writes: > If TMBG ever, EVER go all-out country I will never listen to them again - just > think, Flans singing "Thar's a tear, in mah beer"... > Why do I suspect that fear of that threat does not keep Them awake at night? (Not that the prospect of TMBG becoming a country band is likely enough to warrant serious discussion.) I am glad to see, however, that we're open-minded enough to suddenly turn our backs on ostensibly one of our favorite bands, all based on blanket generalizations about an entire genre of music. Kinda makes you proud, huh? m@t p.s. You had better not buy the Pink album - I hear that there's a [shudder] *country* song on it... ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: Re: They Country Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:29:36 +0000 >Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call >ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are >Parrot Heads, and so forth... What should we call ourselves? We all know about TMBG's skull thing. How about skull heads? Just my input, because I haven't posted in a while. ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants "all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd Jonah Gold ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:56:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: 9:30 Club Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Aug-96 9:30 Club by Leo Bicknell@ufp.org > 1) Can someone tell me where the 9:30 Club is? > > 2) What happened to the idea of all the list.people > meeting before the show or something? Are those > of us who have to stay overnight all in the same > hotel? 1. It's in Washington, but you probably knew that. It's at 8th and V streets NW. The exact address is 815 V. 2. I think we're all going to meet outside between 8:30 and 8:45. Many of us will be wearing stickers that say "The World's Address: http://www.tmbg.org/" At least I will. There are going to be quite a lot of us. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 11:14:23 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 9:30 Voting - Almost Final Here are the current results for the 9:30 voting. I am going to end voting Monday so If your going (or even if your not, You can hear it while your listening to the boot:), You can vote for a song to be played for the list (hopefully be played). I belive Leo is going to deliver the results. Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon ---------------------------- Jeffrey B Scanlon Lawrence P Solomon Nola Weaver Rythem Section Want Ad ---------------------------- Adam P. Fistler gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) kaochiho@pop.erols.com (Ellen Kao) Matthew James Josh Narror Your Eyes ---------------------------- particle@cyber1.servtech.com Mrs. Train ---------------------------- ZippyKelp@aol.com She's An Angel ---------------------------- Paul Sebold ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:46:22 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-221 could get long.... trytophane- i remember calling DAS (back in the day... when you had to stay up super late, get up super early or be super lucky to get thru.. but at least then it worked! bring back DAS!) and thinking it was "trip to fame" whch woulda been sorta cool.. just thougt id share. tryptophane is i believe (though i could be terribly mistaken) an anti-panic/depresion drug found in turky that puts people to sleep.. so the poor guy in the song is freaking out at thanksgiving with everyone there.. but im probably wrong... graham- tho i never had a chance to see tony graham seems very cool... but ever since that edison thingy he'll always be the family guy- (in that great english accent) "are your sure your dont have to go potty?" "yes" "sure?" "yes" "really sure?" "yes" we woulda felt like too much of an arse asking him for an autograph.. john and john were lurking inside tho and its was such a nice day so they were shown no mercy.. and speaking of that interesting time up at edison- anyone know which recording of i can hear you theyre gonna use on the album... im sick of telling everyone that theres a 1 in 3 chance we're clapping on a tmbg album.. they seemed pretty happy with it except you could really tell where linnell joined in the lalala's and he looked kinda embaresed... dont lets start- i hate grammer but i did notice the a/an thing.. i heard somewhere They do about 180+ shows a year.. thats about 1800 dont lets starts... think about it.. ok, u can stop now, dont wanna hurt yerself but isnt that scary? well, i think thats all for me for now... l-z-xxy (more then enough) who had no disembodied presences to rant at seeing as AOL was out yesterday =p ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: RE: MST3K Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 11:46:27 -0500 Yes it is sad that Dr. Forrester is leaving the show, along with the voice of CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW!!!!!! *sigh* Well, another thing I have recently heard is that The Sci-Fi channel has recently gotten control of MST3K and it will be on there now, and I hear with new episodes. I don't know what these will be like, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. As of this moment, Comedy Central is running re-runs, mostly with Joel I've seen lately, so all you Joel fans, be sure to watch because who knows what will happen... Anyway, here's another subject and another question... Does anyone know how to access IRC from aol??? Let me know, please! :) Thanks. Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:45:36 -0400 Subject: Re: Graham + OAT In a message dated 96-08-07 01:31:30 EDT, 97starya@james.hawken.edu (Ryan Staib) writes: > Is it just me, or does everyone in TMBG play two or more > instruments except JF? It's just you, Mr Flansburgh plays banjo on several songs... And if you had the wonderfully great video boot from mr. Josephson, you would know that he also plays this little drum set on Much Music... Wally Pleasant had a guy playing one just like it at the last show of his that I saw... those were the days (two weeks ago)... In a message dated 96-08-07 22:35:21 EDT, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lawrence P Solomon) writes: > Don't Let's Start," which I suppose could be > considered correct depending on where you're from. And whether or not > you end sentences with prepositions. Read, "Do Not Let Us Start" OAT: This will be just about my last, or second to last post from AOL, soon I will be changing my tmbg.org alias to forward to my juno account... Anybody who has anything for me specifically should send it to superuprecht@juno.com ... no, that is not an imposter that really is me... It's so good to be getting rid of aol... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: TRYPTOPHANE Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 12:50:30 -0500 > BTW- Has anyone figured out what Trytophane is? I think it's a >> new kind of drug. >I also love Don't I have the Right?, it was my fave Mono Puff song till I >heard Tryptophane. As for that song, I think I have heard the word >'tryptophane' before, around Thanksgiving time. If I remember correctly, >it is a chemical present in turkey that makes people tired, which is one >reason many Thanksgiving celebraters fall asleep shortly after the >dinner. And in the song, there is the line about the 'leg of the bird' >(turkey) and the 'special day observed' (Thankgsiving) That's my interp, >anyhow. Feel free to back me up in this :) Tryptophane is a drug/chemical found in turkey (the poultry, not the country) that makes you tired. It is explained in the song... :) "by the leg of the bird and the special day observed. I was mad till I found there was more to go around.........Tryptophane, I was wrong and there's much more going on in my veins, in my mind, in my chemistry I find Tryptopane" -Mono Puff Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:05:05 -0400 Subject: Moving to the sun... This is a message to everyone I know online... this will probably be the last message any of you get from this address... I have gotten hooked up with a free e-mail service and I don't use AOL for internet stuff anyway... So if you want to contact me, use the address superuprecht@juno.com ... within the next week the address ruprecht@tmbg.org will work as well, but the first address is my real one... Ok, have a nice day, you want it when? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:13:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Pencil Rain? I was listening to some tapes from 1987 of TMBG shows, and they made a couple of references to a movie called "Pencil Rain," supposedly featuring their music. The mentioned it before playing Purple Toupee and Pencil Rain. What I'm wondering is if there actually was such a movie or if there was even supposed to be? Or was the whole thing just a joke? I had never heard anything about it until listening to those shows (6/23/87 and 6/26/87). Anyone else notice this? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 20:29:04 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: drama? > "Who'll teach me drama?, > pezman Um, I will! (Unless you're quoting some cool song that I don't know 'cuz I'm dumb, and if so, for this I am sorry.) Dan Thompson (jtt@magicnet.net) "If Benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be prailines and dick" ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: 9:30 Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 21:53:12 18000 Is, by chance, anyone coming from or going by Florida and feels like bringing me to the 9:30 show?! -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:03:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Space Ghost Hmmph, I wrote to Space Ghost Coast to Coast about getting TMBG on the show. Look at the massive and definite reply I got :P Amy :) ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:22:59 -0400 From: SGC2C@aol.com To: agreen@moo.onu.edu Subject: Re: New guests? We'll see.--------Space Ghost. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:03:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Tryp-to-flames (ooh, a pun based on the contents of the message!) Hi Giant Heads: Just a couple things... I just spent a while perusing the a.m.tmbg newsgroup for the first time in many months... geez, it was depressing. Thank god I'm on the list instead to get my TMBG fix -- they're all so hostile and argumentative in the ng (the abbreviation for newsgroup which always reminds me of the first song on Lincoln for some reason). ;) Hey, also, I just got the Mono Puff DWDTN single over the weekend. Tryptophane -- good song, I like it. But when I listen to it, it reminds me of "Daydream Believer", or, more generally, the Monkees. Something about the melody and harmony does, anyway. I'm interested to see if anyone thinks I'm crazy or not. (For thinking this, that is, not for any other reason.) Computer lab's closing... I'm closing it. (yay!) Later, Jason Nummer Eins ^^^^^^^^^^^ (P.S. It's okay, criticize my German... we came up with this in high school German when there were 2 Jasons in class. I managed to be #1, for some reason... which seems appropriate since I _think_ I've been here slightly longer than the other 2 Jasons I've seen post.) "This could lead to excellence | J a s o n L. G o h l k e -- or serious injury." | jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu - THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS | bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:34:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: A humble request...and an offer Hideho! At the beginning of this post I am going to shamelessly ask for help. If anybody out there has any of the following songs on tape: Edison Museum O Tannenbaum Christmas Cards The Bells Are Ringing (The New) James K. Polk Unforgotten I Can Hear You How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Rat Patrol Metal Detector (Braaaaad, I want you to tape this one next time, you hear? :) Larger Than Life Any TMBG remixes/radio versions I would quite appreciate it if you could find it in your heart to dub them for me, if I send you a blank tape and a SASE. The shameless begging will now end. Here's the other bit: If/when I recieve copies of these songs, I will then distribue copies of them (along with the other mini-tour songs and other B-sides) to anyone who is interested in a copy. Trades would be definitely appreciated, but I will dub them for a blank and postage. (BTW, I'd like to thank Phil for providing me with my Back To John tape, which is probably my most listened-to cassette of the past year.) If Phil will graciously allow it, I'll simply dub the Back To John tape for anybody interested, along with a second tape (with the above tracks and whatever else I feel like including) tentatively titled "Son of Back To John." :) Thank you. PS: > They don't usually put grammatical errors in >their songs ('If there's any more people around' being an exception), so >it's quite odd that he should do it frequently. Actually, unless I'm mistaken, "There are any more..." can be abbreviated to "There's any more" without a problem. (Ex. "There's three of them waiting out there.") /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Subject: Other TNBG Cd's From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 23:44:54 EDT I have just received from Columbia House Flood, Apollo 18, and John Henery. What are their other albums? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:47:21 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Again with the video... So I'm watching the boot video, the end this time, and during the 120 minu at the end with the clips of the vidoes, yes? Well, anyway, I saw many a vide I'd never seen before, namely, Istanbul (what a great video!!), The Guitar, Snail Shell, Puppet head, etc. But what got me was the clips of the others, like Ana Ng (to which I hear is a dance?), Hotel Detective, etc. So to get to my question, what I want to know is if there is anyone out there with all of Their vidoes on tape somehow. I would be most willing to trade something for them or pay... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 00:53:09 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: IRC trouble + TMBGand the Beatles At 11:46 AM 8/8/96 -0500, you wrote: > >Anyway, here's another subject and another question... Does anyone know >how to access IRC from aol??? Let me know, please! :) Thanks. > I have an account on a local server, and I can't get my chat to work, either. Does anyone have some hints? And now for something completely different. Has anyone noticed the abundance of Beatles refferences in early TMBG material? *"Tell me that you like my float upstream" "Turn off your mind, relax and float upstream" *"Nothing's gonna change my clothes" "Nothing's gonna change my world." *"Well, I told you 'bout the world, it's address I wonder when they're gonna clean up the mess>" "I told you bout Strawberry Fields, You know the place where nothing is real" Of course, They're consistantly refferencing John Lennon's songs, and not just because he was the better songwriter. Just thought it was interesting. JN --------------------Doody Yeowmp---------------------- ===It's hard to keep a round table orderly.=== ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 01:08:20 -0400 Subject: Wreckin the masses Fred Boak wrote: >I've seen him play a big ol'marching band bass drum (Flood tour), Might thaat have been "Whistling In The Dark"? >a tuba (Flood tour), Dunno. >and two trumpets at once (Flood tour (I think), Apollo 18 tour ... >ooo ... what song was this?!?) Was it They might Be Giants (just a guess)? ---------- Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >2. You are correct in saying it is not a grammatical error. However, >DLS *does* have a grammatical error in it, and it's one that has sort of >been brought into the language and almost passes for being correct - "No >one in the world ever gets what *they* want..." Technically it should >he/she/it, but that clearly doesn't fit in the song, and I guess John >was just trying to be PC. Actually, that's not gramatically correct. You'll never see he/she/it in correct writing (I'm 99% percent sure I remember this one thing from English class two years ago). I believe it'd be proper to say "No one in the world ever gets what *the person* wants" or "... what *one* wants." I'm fairly positive. ---------- And now, I submit for your approval some suggestions for a proper title for TMBG fans: Head Heads Removable Heads D@#$ Heads Strapping Young Heads Heads Remote-Controlled Heads Bionic Heads Flood Heads Rushed Heads Ice Cream Ache Heads Melatonin Gelatinous Heads We Might Be Heads Severed Shrunken Beavis Heads Baywatch Heads 32 Headsteps Taz Pez Dispenser Heads Out Of Work Actor Heads Acrymonious Heads Jurassic Heads Fans of Flans Hannibal Lecter Eaten, Digested, And Shat Heads Fake Hairpeace Heads Naked Heads Hard Heads Sons Of Johns Uh, that's all I could come up with. Mark ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-222 ******************************