Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-225 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 225 Monday, 12 August 1996 Today's Topics: (none) purple DAS sticker!?! John Henry(1st time heard was bad) They Might Be Giants (Hey, does anyone read the subject line?) Re: They Might Be Giants (Hey, does anyone read the subject line?) Jewel Re: Wreckin the trumpets People actually replied to me! Re: Wreckin the masses Trumpets TMBG @ the Hatch Shell crossword puzzles Worlds Adress poll Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) A new story. two trumpets Rucky, rucky bastad Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 05:12:34 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett > >From: Matthew Coon >Subject: Re: Wreckin the masses >Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:12:04 -0500 (EST) > >> "No one" should be plural, because there isn't just *one* person who isn't, >> but *many* people, if not *all* of them, who aren't. >> > >The above is very, very wrong. > Didn't say it was right. Just meant to say that it's the way it oughtta be, cuz it makes (some kind of warped) sense that way. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:00:20 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: purple DAS sticker!?! Hey, I want a purple DAS sticker. . . I've been in the club for a WHILE now, and all I ever got was the holiday newsletter and MonoPuff postcard. Anyone get anything else since then? Dan (jtt@magicnet.net) "If Benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be prailines and dick" ------------------------------ From: ethan@tatum.awosting-summer.com Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:41:37 -0700 (PDT) Subject: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) Question. Am I the only person who felt that John Henry was bad the first time you listened to it? I remember being so thrilled when I bought it, and couldn't wait to hear it. I put it in the radio, and my brother and I started listening to it. After the first side, we had to turn it of because it was so bad. I put it away, and didn't listen to it for about a month, until I decided to try it again. And when I did, I loved it. This wasn't the only time that happened to me. The same thing also occured the first time I listened to Home of the Brave by Black 47. By the way, are there any other Black 47 fans out there? -Ethan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:47:12 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: They Might Be Giants (Hey, does anyone read the subject line?) WARNING: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT GRAMMAR PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE AND READ THE TMBG CONTENT. > I'm afraid you were cheated out of valuable tuition fees on this > class. You should have gone with that other 1% of your instinct here, > because the pronoun "he" is the most appropriate choice ("one" in this > case would sound artificial and would be redundant). MS Word grammar checker will grab that one and berate you for using a gender-specific term :) Also, "No one" can be plural or singular, depending on the context. Oh, and since the nature of the English language is to evolve... (The English Language is constantly taking words from other languages and slang words get "accepted" into the general language; If you compare English today to Olde English or even English just 200 years ago, you would see a tremendous difference.) (Getting back to the sentence started above...) ... we, as a population, can't stop the language from evolving by digging up old grammar rules that relly don't apply in today's society. So.... (drum roll, please, TMBG content approaching...) When "No one in the world ever gets what they want" that is just the evolution of the language. You will hardly ever heard some one, in everyday conversation, say "No one ... what one wants" But you will often hear "he" or "they" Some more TMBG: John Henry was the only album without a song from the demo tape. Hmmm... Well, I don't want to spend ten minutes thinking and writing about it, so, whatever. I'll stick with my 2 album theory, as it was reinforced by the Early Years FAQ section that was posted and the fact that John Henry is definately a change. About Two Trumpets: > I mean he PLAYED both trumpets at once. He put > both intstruments to his mouth, and played different notes on each > one. I saw it, I was there, I saw it all, and from what I remember, > it sounded really good...the audience was amazed. Excuse me folks, but it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY TWO TRUMPETS AT ONCE!!! IT CAN'T BE DONE!!! (Unless, of course, you have two mouths and two pairs of lungs; If Flans does have two of all this stuff, has the scientific community been notified?) The End Thanx for reading thru my post (if you read it, if you didn't read it.. shame on you!) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants (Hey, does anyone read the subject line?) Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:30:13 -0500 (EST) > Evan Chakroff writes: > > Excuse me folks, but it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY TWO TRUMPETS AT ONCE!!! IT > CAN'T BE DONE!!! > It is not impossible to play two trumpets at once, and it can be done. It is impossible to play two trumpets very *well* at once, but playing simple harmony lines on two at once has been a staple trick for various types of trumpeters from Maynard Ferguson to John Flansburgh. (And why on earth would you need two sets of lungs for this???) m@t ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Jewel Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 11:34:26 -0400 (EDT) On 'Casey's Top 40' just now they said that Jewel did a special concert in New York this week solely for fans on her Internet mailing list. Talk about cool. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Wreckin the trumpets From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Gee) Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:21:43 EDT On Sun, 11 Aug 1996 00:07:33 -0500 (EST) Matthew Coon writes: > >I believe it was asked (more or less) whether Flansburgh could >"get by" playing any instrument other than guitar - meaning, could he >play >something else as competently as he plays guitar or as Linnell plays >various keyboards and woodwinds? > >The answer still seems to me to be no. Flans's two-trumpet thing is a >neat >gimmick, but it doesn't From tmbg-list-owner Sun Aug 11 12:23:38 1996 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id MAA26928 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:23:38 -0400 To: jsmith@e-tex.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Devil Went Down Single Message-ID: <19960811.121609.4535.0.superuprecht@juno.com> References: <01BB870C.0CC958E0@dial132.e-tex.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.15 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 1-12 From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Gee) Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:21:43 EDT Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Gee) On Sat, 10 Aug 1996 22:31:19 -0500 "Justin W. Smith" writes: >Ummm... I finally got the Devil Went Down Single on special order >and... >umm... am I the only one that thinks it sucks? Yes, yes you are ============================================================================= a spooky man named Ike ============================================================================= I wish that I could jump outnecessarily require any real trumpet-playing >ability. >Maynard Ferguson he's not:-) > He may not be able to play trumpets for real, but he definately can play banjo with very nice amounts of compentance ex, Stand on Your Own Head... In case you don't recall he was also playing a little drum set on Their supercool much music performance that was on the supercool video bootleg... ============================================================================= a spooky man named Ike ============================================================================= I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ============================================================================= of my .sig ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:38:00 -0400 Subject: People actually replied to me! M3MEEBKM@aol.com wrote: > Sons of Johns >> I like that one, but I think it should be "Children of Johns" so as not to >> be unfair to all of the legions of girls out there. ;) Yeah, well the fact that every other title I've seen ended wiht "head" may not please the torso community. Besides, you totalled missed the Son of Sam reference. ---------- wrote >I'm not bringing >this topic up to say They are a country band/ or they should go >completely country. Just to open a few peoples eyes I guess. The kind >of people who say "I can't stand any here>" People just need to think what is good is good and not jump out >against something because of a stereotype. They might Be Giants have >recorded in a VAST amount of musical styles. Ska, Country, Rock, Metal, >EZ Listening, Reggae (well Joshua Frieds Remix - Larger than life), >Comedy, Latin, Beach music, political music, folk, . . . the list goes >on. They are kind of the common denominator. Just think about it for a >second before you generalize . . . . People are so quick to label, they don't even think why. They Might Be Giants hasa unique sound, one must admit. While usually I skip track 4 on JH, it's just because I don't like the song, not because it's "country." My belief is that TMBG tries to appeal to a variety of groups, thus widening their fan base. And WHO KNOWS, TMBG may release that as a B-side to something as a polka, or a fast shuffle, or a hard rock tune on the next EP. Music isn't that unique in the fact it can be made to sound completely different from itself, but still be the same song. A lot of different sounds can change, and you'd still have the same song. Ah, well. I amsk what I amsk, Mark ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: Wreckin the masses Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:08:31 -0400 (EDT) > At 10:18 8/10/96 -0500, Matthew Coon wrote: > >> Alex writes: > >> > >> No...Flansburgh plays two trumpets on Lie Still Little Bottle. I saw him do > >> it live in 1992. > >> > > > >Well, "play" for what Flansburgh was doing with those trumpets is a > >pretty generous usage of the word... but not the usage that was intended > >in the original question, I suspect. > > Well, I don't know what the word 'play' was supposed to mean in the original > post, but when I say 'play', I mean he PLAYED both trumpets at once. He put > both intstruments to his mouth, and played different notes on each one. I > saw it, I was there, I saw it all, and from what I remember, it sounded > really good...the audience was amazed. The way I took it, he meant that Flans does not play trumpet at every concert on every tour (or at least some of them). He seems to play instruments sporadically but never consistently, except for the guitar. Linnell on the other hand always plays saxophone, keyboards, accordian. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Trumpets Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:17:03 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: > > Evan Chakroff writes: > > > > Excuse me folks, but it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY TWO TRUMPETS AT ONCE!!! IT > > CAN'T BE DONE!!! > > > > It is not impossible to play two trumpets at once, and it can be done. > It is impossible to play two trumpets very *well* at once, but playing > simple harmony lines on two at once has been a staple trick for various > types of trumpeters from Maynard Ferguson to John Flansburgh. > > (And why on earth would you need two sets of lungs for this???) I agree, if you had large enough mouth and a smaller mouthpiece like on a trumpet you could probably blow through both of them and play something. Now playing 2 different sounds at once without pressing any of the key-thingies on top of the trumpet would be fairly impressive. Now if you had 2 mouths you could most likely play 2 different things if you were good and practiced and your mind could handle that. But I don't know why you'd need 2 sets of lungs, you'd probably just blow out of both mouths and therefore produce sound. But I will leave this theory up to the science-fiction scientests 8-) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:34:06 -0400 Subject: TMBG @ the Hatch Shell Hey all... I'm from Boston and I've got the lowdown on the Hatch Shell show. I don't know exactly what you want to know, so I'll tell you all the info I've got: It is on September 6th and it's FREE. I went to see TMBG the last time they played for free at the Hatch Shell (several years back, they were promoting Apollo 18) and it rocked big time!! They're playing with Morphine (if you haven't heard of them, they're an EXCELLENT EXCELLENT band) and The Cardigans (they sing a very fun song called "Carnival," but I haven't heard anything else from them). The Hatch Shell shows usually start at 5:30pm and are Rain or Shine. Welp, that's the skinny on the show. Cool like that! :) -Tara Dos ------------------------------ From: mr_klaw@juno.com Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 14:31:29 PST Subject: crossword puzzles Well here's my little story.. I'm sitting down on a Sunday afternoon watching tv.. My parents frequently do the crossword puzzle on Sundays. Usually my mom will call out any clue she doesn't know so you can imagine my suprise when the clue she read was as follows: "------ Might Be Giants" I imediatly jumped up and was amazed that it was in the sunday crossword puzzle.. So everyone out there get up and go get your sunday paper because now you know the answer for 139 across... sloan... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:29:50 -0400 (EDT) From: metrasm@vivanet.com (MDM) Subject: Worlds Adress poll Go vote for your favorite version of the world's address (so to be all tmbg remixes), www.vivanet.com/~metrasm/tmbg.html :) -MDM ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:50:25 -1000 (HST) From: Steven Osborn Subject: Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) well to be truthful, thats how it goes w/ me w/ almost all of tmbgs recordings at first. the only one i know i liked right off the bat was i *think* apollo 18. i bought them all out of order, cause i started listening to tmbg in 1993, but i distinctly remember not liking Self titled, flood, and john henry upon first listening, now, i absolutely love all six records plus their many side songs... i dunno, itll probably happen again w/ factory showroom, so im going to buy it for sure steven ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 22:28:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: A new story. Hey all, there is a new original story to be found behind the thoughts and ideas of Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour, at http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy. It's disgusting and amoral, and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head." They Might Be Giants/King Missile/Ween/XTC/REM/Art Of Noise/Yello RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996 Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." Long live the Hud. -----------------------http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: two trumpets Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 23:42:27 EDT One doesn't need two mouths to play two trumpets. I've seen it done several times. Two trumpets w/ one mouth , that is. (I don't want this to go into the gutter.) -- John john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:08:35 -0400 Subject: Rucky, rucky bastad Matthew Coon wrote: >> Actually, that's not gramatically correct. You'll never see he/she/it in >> correct writing (I'm 99% percent sure I remember this one thing from English >> class two years ago). I believe it'd be proper to say "No one in the world >> ever gets what *the person* wants" or "... what *one* wants." I'm fairly >> positive. > I'm afraid you were cheated out of valuable tuition fees on this class. > You should have gone with that other 1% of your instinct here, because > the pronoun "he" is the most appropriate choice ("one" in this case > would sound artificial and would be redundant). Actually, what I meant was you'd never say "he/she/it," not that using any of those individually was wrong. Sorry, folks. -------------------------- "Alan Cook" wrote: > Subject: War. > The Facts: > Yesterday on WNNX 99.7 Here in Atlanta, a request was made for "Istambul (Not > Constantiople)" to be played. That's pretty cool. > After the Broadcast, the DJ, Sean Demory stated: "The Music just keeps getting > stupider here!" What have we learned from this?: 1. Hicks live in Atlanta (though not all Atlantans are hicks). The day I care about a hick's opinion is the day a buy me a Chevy to put up on blocks in my front yard. 2. TMBG (especially the pre-full band music) is not top 40 music, and that top 40 losers wouldn't know good music unless someone told them it was good. 3. The bomb missed. 4. Sometimes my humor is inappropriate; please don't flame me, I've gotten 4 hours of sleep in the past two days. 5. Anyone can be a DJ, but you have to make fun of what you don't understand to become popular. 6. If I ever met this guy, I'd say, "Oh yeah, you're stupid! Go listen to Alanis!" 7. Some people have bad taste in music. They're usually tone deaf, too. 8. A monkey will eat dirt. If you make him. 9. Listening to other people's ideas will only make you long for your own. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:13:35 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) The first TMBG album I ever heard was John Henry, and i liked it so much that I went out and bought every album :) AmY XXXXXXXXXX AmY (Seta) http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 **The Words You Would Think I Would Say If There Was A Me For You** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-225 ******************************