Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-226 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 226 Tuesday, 13 August 1996 Today's Topics: Two Trumpets Re:Jewel Re: Devil Went Down Single Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) Re: two trumpets at once A New Limb Re: A New Limb - A Plea for Non-MS Mail Users Re: Jewel FW: A New Limb Re: FW: A New Limb Quick Question Re: two trumpets at once For those of you who got not grammar again!!! Stuff! Stuff! And more stuff!!!!! Peggy Sue Polk Re: names for ourselves Re: For those of you who got 9:30 Voting Reminder Re: names for ourselves Re: For those of you who got Re: names for ourselves Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) FW: names for ourselves reminiscences of first John Henry experience Re: FW: names for ourselves names/heads Re: two trumpets at once & OAT TMBG, for once. Re: reminiscences of first John Henry experience Re: names for ourselves (let's not) Re: two trumpets at once & OAT Re: FW: names for ourselves Re: Quick Question Re: Quick Question Re: FW: names for ourselves Re: names for ourselves (let's not) Re: enough with the english lesson? Re: Jewel Re: Peggy Sue Polk Re: names for ourselves Re: two trumpets at once & OAT Re: two trumpets at once & OAT Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:41:13 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Two Trumpets If you were to play two trumpets, with two different note line AND two different beat patterns you would need two mouths/set of lungs; because you can't breath in with one side of your mouth and breath out with the other side. I suppose if you were talented enough you could play two trumpets, different melodies, same beat pattern. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:15:23 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re:Jewel >Leo Bicknell > On 'Casey's Top 40' just now they said that Jewel >did a special concert in New York this week solely for >fans on her Internet mailing list. Talk about cool. :-) > >-- >Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin yup... it was called Jewelstock and it was a benefit for a barn in woodstock, ny. the first night was "by invitation only" (i was invited, but unfortunately was unable to attend!) and the second night was open to the public. you had to be on the mailing list to get an invitation! wouldn't it be great if they did a mailing list only show...????????? Green Jello, not just another john! http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 08:45:11 EDT From: apf@cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Devil Went Down Single > Ummm... I finally got the Devil Went Down Single on special order and... > umm... am I the only one that thinks it sucks? I mean, I LOVED the > Unsupervised disk but all of TDWDTN's song's were... well... boring (except > TDWDTN, but I've heard that). Of course, this is just my humble opinion, > but... WHAT A WASTE OF SIX BUCKS! > I didn't think so. Tryptophan is probally my most favorite Mono Puff song it was the song that I liked the most off of the Mono Puff demo. Too bad Flans doesn't know how to play the Keyboard to play it in a MP concert. I think Odd Ball was a very good song also and it rocks. And as for the remix well I think its alright but I not the person that really likes remixes too much though. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 08:52:18 EDT From: apf@cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) Thats funny. The first time I heard JH I loved it. I remeber listening to my sister friends JH tape in the car and after hearing Sleeping in the Flowers, I should be allowed to think, Meet James Ensor, A self called nowhere, Destination Moon and End of the Tour I was like I gotta get this. I was a fan at the time but this convinced me to get the rest of thier stuff. Anyway so for another thing, Did anyone see the advertisements on TBS for the Destination Sunday thing thier gonna do. Everytime I saw that comercial for some reason it kept reminding me of Destination Moon. For some reason I think there is a They force behind that. Not sure though. > well to be truthful, thats how it goes w/ me w/ almost all of tmbgs > recordings at first. the only one i know i liked right off the bat was i > *think* apollo 18. i bought them all out of order, cause i started > listening to tmbg in 1993, but i distinctly remember not liking Self > titled, flood, and john henry upon first listening, now, i absolutely > love all six records plus their many side songs... i dunno, itll probably > happen again w/ factory showroom, so im going to buy it for sure > > steven > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:18:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Shoestraps and Eyelashes Subject: Re: two trumpets at once I can't speak for trumpets, but I can play two saxophones at once... ..not very *well* as mentioned, but i can actually play a "c" on a tenor saxophone while playing a "g" on an alto saxophone and it sounds pretty cool...really, i have witnesses...anyway,as mentioned, it's not hard, but considering at the moment i have two hands, your limits are quite apparent... so, does anyone think i should be in TMBG? hee hee J A Y ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:05:20 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: A New Limb begin 640 A_New_Li M_U=00V0!```!"@`!`````/O_!0`R`"@!```'``X```!"````#P!6````4``` M``P`6@```*8````#`"@``````0``0V]U!/__F4@=&AA=`UT:&4@<75A;&ET>2!T:&%T M(&ES(&UI2!W96YT(&]U="!D87,-=VEN M9&]W+B`@3F]T(&-O;G9I;F-E9#\@($QI65D('=I=&@-9G5R2!A;F0@=VET:"!M M;W)E($953B!I;B!T:&5I2X*"E=I=&@@1&EO;FYE(%=A writes: >>Leo Bicknell >> On 'Casey's Top 40' just now they said that Jewel >>did a special concert in New York this week solely for >>fans on her Internet mailing list. Talk about cool. :-) >> >>-- >>Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin >you had to be on the mailing list to get an invitation! >wouldn't it be great if they did a mailing list only show...????????? > Yes, it's called the Oklahoma Flesh Fest, in case you've just come here recently :P... hahahahahahah... Am I the only one still hoping? Mike, you can drive through Michigan on your way to Oklahoma and pick me up... ============================================================================= a spooky man named Ike ============================================================================= I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:49:36 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: A New Limb Can someone tell me what application this goes with? My system tells me it can't figure out what the hell it is. Thanks kids shepmeister [[ A_NEW_LI : 2597 in A_NEW_LI. ]] --$----Novell--Attachment----$ X-NVL-Content-Type: UNKNOWN X-NVL-Content-Typename: O-MSMail X-NVL-Content-Charset: X-IBM-437 X-NVL-Content-Filename: WINMAIL.DAT X-NVL-Content-Transfer-Encoding: X-UUENCODE X-NVL-Content-Modification-Date: 12-Aug-1996 10:49:38 -0400 begin 777 WINMAIL.DAT M>)\^(B4*`@*0!@`.`````0"5````(``@``````#6``(!D`8`"@```$%?3D57 M7TQ)+@"L`@(3@`,`#@```,P'"``,``H`%P`Y``$`0@$"$8`&`*`)```!``D` M``.Z!``````A!``````%````"0(`````!0````$"____`&4```!!"\8`B``@ M`"```````"``(```````*````"`````@`````0`!```````````````````` M``````````````````#___\`^```!_````?P```'\```!_````?P```'\``` M!_````?P```'\```!_````?P```'\```!_````?P```'\```!_````?P```' M\```!_````?P```'\```!_````?P```'\```!_````_P```?\```/_```'_P M``#_\``!__```_\%````"0(!````!0````$"`0````4````)`@`````%```` M`0+___\`(00``$$+1@!F`"``(```````(``@```````H````(````"`````! M``@`````````````````````````````````````````@```@````("``(`` M``"``(``@(```,#`P`#`W,``\,BD```````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M````````````````````````````\/O_`*2@H`"`@(````#_``#_````__\` M_P```/\`_P#__P``____````````^/CX^/CX^/CX^/CX^/CX^/CX^/CX^/CX M`````````````````````````````````````````/@``````````/______ M______________________\`^```````````________________________ M_____P#X``````````#_____________________________`/@````````` M`/____________________________\`^```````````________________ M_____________P#X``````````#_____________________________`/@` M`````````/____________________________\`^```````````________ M_____________________P#X``````````#_________________________ M____`/@``````````/____________________________\`^``````````` M_____________________________P#X``````````#_________________ M____________`/@``````````/____________________________\`^``` M````````_____________________________P#X``````````#_________ M____________________`/@``````````/__________________________ M__\`^```````````_____________________________P#X``````````#_ M____________________________`/@``````````/__________________ M__________\`^```````````_____________________________P#X```` M``````#_____________________________`/@``````````/__________ M__________________\`^```````````____________________________ M_P#X``````````#_____________________`````````````````````/__ M__________________\`__\'^```````````````____________________ M_P#_!_@```````````````#_____________________``?X```````````` M`````/____________________\`^```````````````````____________ M_________P`````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````%````"0(!````!0````$"`0````,``````````````````````*NM M^LX````````'`+\(4V]F='=A!/__F4@=&AA=`UT:&4@<75A;&ET>2!T:&%T M(&ES(&UI2!W96YT(&]U="!D87,-=VEN M9&]W+B`@3F]T(&-O;G9I;F-E9#\@($QI65D('=I=&@-9G5R2!A;F0@=VET:"!M M;W)E($953B!I;B!T:&5I2X*"E=I=&@@1&EO;FYE(%=A Can someone tell me what application this goes with? My system tells > me it can't figure out what the hell it is. > "It" sucks............ > Thanks kids > > shepmeister > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:28:54 EDT From: apf@cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Quick Question Quick Question here mail responses to me only are needed. Does any one know how to spell Eric the Guitarists last name? ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: two trumpets at once Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:34:09 -0400 : ..not very *well* as mentioned, but i can actually play a "c" on : a tenor saxophone while playing a "g" on an alto saxophone alto on the right side, right hand on the top keys, and one finger on the tenor...tough. I played bari....the real man's sax. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:41:07 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: For those of you who got For those of you who got nothing but gibberish from my earlier post, I apologize from the upper-left corner of my spleen. Here is it again, in a more legible format: Is it just me or did John Henry seem to be lacking something? Personally, I found the single for that album better than the album itself (who can NOT love Mrs. Train? ), finding that the music had some quaility that was not on the full length album. After much painful digging and thick callouses, I've come to the realization that the quality which is missing is *FUN*! They seem to be so caught up in making their "first serious full band" album that the joy went right out das window. Not convinced? Listen to "Spy" from WDDSS and then from JH. In the first, you can TELL they are having fun! Heck, if you listen with headphones, you can actuallyt *hear* the Johns smiling! Not so for the JH version. The gaiety of the song becomes a rock number, played with furrowed brows and clenched teeth in attempts to "make this song a perfect rocker." It is my hope that they have gotten over this and will play much more freely and with more FUN in their bones on their new platter. Now, this is not to say that JH was bad as it was not. Actually, it was jam packed full of great grooves and wonderful songs... but it's all in the delivery. With Dionne Warwick singing softly in my ear, Jasooooooon ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:37:13 -0400 (EDT) Subject: not grammar again!!! >Also, "No one" can be plural or singular, depending on the context. Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!!! You STOLE fizzy lifting drinks!!! "One" is always singular, whether it's "no one" or "anyone" or just "one." Personally, even though I have to teach this boring crap, I don't have a big problem with using "they" as a singular pronoun because, as Matt Coon suggested, it will probably be deemed acceptable in the near future, and the only way to make that happen is to keep using it. But it's not correct yet, and "one" will never, ever be plural. By the way, I too was disappointed when I first heard "John Henry," and there are some songs on it that I still hate. It will never match "Apollo 18" or "Flood", IMHO. That is all. stevie. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:26:16 PST Subject: Stuff! Stuff! And more stuff!!!!! From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) Ok, to the person that wanted Larger Than Life and assorted remixes, I have them. My address was posted on the list a while ago, but if you need it again, contact me personally at InterNette@juno.com or frostburg@tmbg.org. As per naming the fans, "Sons of Johns" was good, but I always called us TMBG-ers (Pronounced tee-em-bee-gee-ers.) for lack of a better thing to say. Also - About Tryptophane and Daydream Believer - I was listening to the Hello Mono Puff tape in my car, and when T. came on, I started singing along. Now, my friend Bob (How generic) was in the car with me, and he just doesn't like TMBG no matter how I try, but back to the story, and when T. came on, he asked what I was doing listening to the Monkees and when did they change the words to Daydream Believer like that. I hope I just won the award for longest sentence in a post!!!! Nette It was totally rockin'! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:14:37 -0500 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: Peggy Sue Polk Brooks wrote: >The Factory Showroom "James K. Polk" is essentially the same song as the >original, but a different, more recent, recording. It's closer to the faster >version they've been playing live of late than to the Istanbul version. Has anyone else noticed that the musical intro to the 'new' version of James K. Polk they've been playing this year in concert sounds a lot like the lead-in for Buddy Holly's 'Peggy Sue'? (The version on Istanbul had no musical intro, just began with drums and lyrics.) We'll have to see how that intro has evolved when the new album comes out. Vix -------------------- Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen Editor Health Sciences Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:48:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: names for ourselves On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Jonah Gold wrote: > > >Secondly - Has there ever been a discussion about what we should call > >ourselves... Greatful Dead fans are Dead Heads, Jimmy Buffet fans are > >Parrot Heads, and so forth... What should we call ourselves? > > We all know about TMBG's skull thing. How about skull heads? Or how about Missing Heads? (I don't want to be first in line...) Of course, there's always the William Allen White Heads, too. Just a thought. =) Kylee *---------------------------------------------------------------------- * The thoughts and Unrelated Things herein are not mine; they belong to My Evil Twin. Complaints should be directed to the Hall of Heads. *---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: For those of you who got Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:53:51 -0500 (EST) > Jason writes: > > For those of you who got > nothing but gibberish from my > earlier post, I apologize from > the upper-left corner of my > spleen. Here is it again, in > a more legible format: [...] Jason, Hey look, I can make my messages even narrower than yours usually are! But it also makes them even harder to read than yours are. Why do you write like this? Taking advantage of the entire width of the screen would be an even more legible format! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 15:56:01 EDT From: apf@cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 9:30 Voting Reminder Get in your vote for the song you want played at the 9:30 club. Voting ends at 11:59 pm EST. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: names for ourselves From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Gee) Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:24:02 EDT On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:48:06 -0500 (CDT) Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> writes: >Or how about Missing Heads? (I don't want to be first in line...) >Of course, there's always the William Allen White Heads, too. Just a >thought. > Yes, then we can all be the Waw Heads, I like that far too much... But what do we call fans of mono puff? Puffies? Mono Heads? Puff Heads? Servants of Mankind? Newport Devils? Oddballs? The Non-Broken Hearts Club? The Unsupervised? Guitars on the Case? Dr. Kildare's Assistants? Nixon's Cabinet? Long Gone Mockingbirds? Careless Elves? I could go on, but I fear my own stupidity check out the newest rendition of my .sig ===========================a spooky man named Ike=========================== The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" ===================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:46:53 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: Re: For those of you who got On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > Jason writes: > > > > For those of you who got > > nothing but gibberish from my > > earlier post, I apologize from > > the upper-left corner of my > > spleen. Here is it again, in > > a more legible format: > [...] > > Jason, > > Hey look, > I can make > my messages > even narrower > than yours > usually are! > But it also > makes them > even harder > to read > than yours > are. Why > do you > write like > this? > Taking > advantage > of the > entire width > of the screen > would be an > even more > legible > format! > > m@t > > Um, and over I here, a think secret screen hidden width message is for those highly who read overrated. the right side of Mike screen. Hi! --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head." They Might Be Giants/King Missile/Ween/XTC/REM/Art Of Noise/Yello RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996 Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." Long live the Hud. -----------------------http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:12:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: Re: names for ourselves On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Ruprecht Gee wrote: > On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:48:06 -0500 (CDT) Little Woman From Another Place > <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> writes: > >Or how about Missing Heads? (I don't want to be first in line...) > >Of course, there's always the William Allen White Heads, too. Just a > >thought. > > > Yes, then we can all be the Waw Heads, I like that far too much... > > But what do we call fans of mono puff? > > Puffies? > Mono Heads? > Puff Heads? > Servants of Mankind? > Newport Devils? > Oddballs? > The Non-Broken Hearts Club? > The Unsupervised? > Guitars on the Case? > Dr. Kildare's Assistants? > Nixon's Cabinet? > Long Gone Mockingbirds? > Careless Elves? > > I could go on, but I fear my own stupidity > Um, Oddballs is very good, that could be applied to fans of either TMBG or Mono Puff. Yeah, I like it, don't you? Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head" They Might Be Giants/John Flansburgh/John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." -----------------------http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:54:38 -0400 Subject: Re: John Henry(1st time heard was bad) >>>Question. Am I the only person who felt that John Henry was bad the first time you listened to it? I remember being so thrilled when I bought it, and couldn't wait to hear it. I put it in the radio, and my brother and I started listening to it. After the first side, we had to turn it of because it was so bad. I put it away, and didn't listen to it for about a month, until I decided to try it again. And when I did, I loved it.<<< I had the same problem. When my (ex) boyfriend came to visit (he's the one that got me hooked on TMBG), he played the CD in my car. I didn't like it very much. But, when it came time for me to buy the CD a few weeks later, I couldn't (and still can't) stop listening to it. It's my fav CD out of all of them. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:56:05 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: names for ourselves Oddballs is very good, that could be applied to fans of either TMBG or Mono Puff. Yeah, I like it, don't you? Mike No. I never got a response from anyone on "Giants", since WE might be giants, right? shep ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:24:10 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: reminiscences of first John Henry experience When Snailshell was the "new song from They Might Be Giants" I heard it on the radio before I heard anything else from the album. My response was exactly "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!" After I calmed down and listened to it a few more times, and bought the album and listened to that a few thousand times, I accepted it for the evolution of the musical genius that is They Might Be Giants. They said so long to drum machines, and hello to the ever-lovable Brian Doherty. Well, and Tony too. Then bye bye Tony hello Graham. Now Eric. :) That's all I gots to say. Nola (who does NOT want to be a GIANT HEAD, her head is big enough) -----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*----- Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out. It doesn't matter much to me. -The Beatles- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:56:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: Re: FW: names for ourselves On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Shepard,Ryan wrote: > > Oddballs is very good, that could be applied to fans of either > TMBG or Mono Puff. Yeah, I like it, don't you? > > Mike > > > No. > > I never got a response from anyone on "Giants", since WE might be > giants, right? > > shep > Well, that's right, we might be giants, MIGHT be, so I think it would be misguided to establish for once and for all, arbitrarily, if either they or we are in fact giants. Coming to that conclusion might in fact destroy our raison d'etre: to forever maintain that the possibility exists that they might be giants, but not to know or say for sure. That's why I liked Giant Heads. Also, Giants alone sounds like a baseball team. I also liked Oddballs. That can be Mono Puff fans. On the other hand, why do we need to name ourselves to feel part of something? I already feel part of something by listening to the music and participating in the tmbg-list and going to shows and talking to other fans. Maybe there isn't some simple name that will crystallise what we are, and maybe it isn't remotely relevant for the rest of the world to understand. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head" They Might Be Giants/John Flansburgh/John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." -----------------------http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:39:49 -1000 (HST) From: Steven Osborn Subject: names/heads this discussion just reaffirms my thought that tmbg refers to and/or depicts heads of all kinds in their works, i know you know what im talking about... is there anything behind this? they also like saying 'dead' too.. mix them together and you have 'skull' which also has its presence in there. in the great words of scooby doo: "Arrooo?" why so many heads, deads, and skulls? steven ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:36:20 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (Benjamin Stewart) Subject: Re: two trumpets at once & OAT >: ..not very *well* as mentioned, but i can actually play a "c" on >: a tenor saxophone while playing a "g" on an alto saxophone > >alto on the right side, right hand on the top keys, and one finger on the >tenor...tough. I played bari....the real man's sax. ummm... playing two woodwinds is far more difficult then playing two brass horns... I can play: Alto, Tenor, and Bari saxes... Clarinet Trombone Baritone Trumpet and yes, you can play two trumpets at once.... and no, I do not admit to playing an alto saxophone in public... Tenors and Bari's rule.... OAT1: The other day was my friends birthday party... and the foolish people told me to bring the music... and I did... and all I brought was them.... so I played them for about 4 hours... and of the 15 people at the party, NOONE complained... which I find amazing... BS ... So it goes. ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:19:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG, for once. In a message dated 96-08-12 03:42:32 EDT, ethan@tatum.awosting-summer.com wrote: > Question. Am I the only person who felt that John Henry was bad the first > time you listened to it? I remember being so thrilled when I bought it, > and couldn't wait to hear it. I put it in the radio, and my brother and I > started listening to it. No way! Well, I had listened to Back To Skull, so I kinda knew what to expect with the full band, and I think you were confused by different-means-bad-itis. I had liked Sanil Shell, and that's pretty much what I did listen to on that album the first few times. I thought the rest of it was OK, but I really liked O, Do Not Forsake Me, and I hated End Of The Tour (which I now LOVE). See, that's probably how popular music works: probably, no one (like me) liked Alanis Morisette the first time they heard her, but MTV blasted it so much that even and my friends and my brother was seduced. > After the first side, we had to turn it of because it was so bad. > I put it away, and didn't listen to it for about a month, until I decided > to try it again. And when I did, I loved it. Aw, come on, I can understand not likig Unrelated Thing, but you have to at least make it through the album, you missed Dirtbike. And how could you not like Spy and Nyquil Driver? Mark ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:21:14 -0400 Subject: Re: reminiscences of first John Henry experience John Henry was indeed my first full TMBG experience, and I think it gives me a fairly unique perspective since I don't see it as quite the radical departure from the others that older fans do. Sure, it has a different sound, which has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but it still has that "TMBG spirit," whatever that is, that I picked up on right away. I usually can't remember the exact point at which an obsession began, but in this case I remember exactly. I got it at a used cd shop (they only had that JH cd and a Flood cassette, so I opted for the cd), and when I popped it in, and "Subliminal" stomped forth in all it's glory, I was impressed, but not quite hooked yet. I liked "Snail Shell" ok, and when "Sleeping in the Flowers" began, I thought "Oh, more whiny, grinding, guitars." Not that I didn't like it, I just sort of zoned it out temporarily. But when the sweet, bouncy chorus kicked in, I thought, "Hey, what's this?" I think that's the precise moment I realized They Might Be different--and special--indeed. By the time "No One Knows My Plan" rolled around, I was bouncing out of my seat, and, as I am often fond of saying, my fate was sealed. Guess that's it for now. See y'all in Gainseville! Kay ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: names for ourselves (let's not) Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:22:04 -0400 A voice of reason..... You all can debate this to your heart's content, but I will not go by any label. The idea of being a groupie, frankly, nauseates me. I'm an individual who happens to like They Might Be Giants, not some mind-numbed follower. Just my unwelcomed $20.00 (for inflation after Clinton II). S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ---------- : From: Shepard,Ryan : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: FW: names for ourselves : Date: Monday, August 12, 1996 5:56 PM : : : Oddballs is very good, that could be applied to fans of either : TMBG or Mono Puff. Yeah, I like it, don't you? : : Mike : : : No. : : I never got a response from anyone on "Giants", since WE might be : giants, right? : : shep ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: two trumpets at once & OAT Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:25:43 -0400 : I can play: : Alto, Tenor, and Bari saxes... : Clarinet : Trombone : Baritone : Trumpet I play: Alto, Tenor, Bari, and Bass sax Piano Guitar Flute Feeling your OATs: Rain, and a whole lot of it. I'm completely soaked. I got caught in a sudden downpour with my top off the 'ol Jeep again....I guess I should learn, but I never will ObTMBGContent: tmbg.com and new tmbg.org coming real soon now! S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: FW: names for ourselves Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:28:14 -0400 : I also liked Oddballs. That can be Mono Puff fans. Couldn't leave this one out. Why would you name yourselves after a song written by another Artist? Although I find it disgusting for any group to name themselves, I think the Frank Black fans have dibbs on that one. BlueDawg...just your run of the mill net'tard S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:14:55 -0400 From: "The Real Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Quick Question At 12:28 8/12/96 EDT, Adam P. Fistler wrote: >Quick Question here mail responses to me only are needed. > >Does any one know how to spell Eric the Guitarists last name? Don't quote me on this, but I think it might be Skimmerhorne. Alex ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Quick Question Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:31:53 -0400 From the inside of the Mono Puff EP Eric Schermerhorn S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ---------- : From: The Real Mr. Klaw : To: Adam P. Fistler ; tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: Quick Question : Date: Monday, August 12, 1996 10:14 PM : : At 12:28 8/12/96 EDT, Adam P. Fistler wrote: : >Quick Question here mail responses to me only are needed. : > : >Does any one know how to spell Eric the Guitarists last name? : : Don't quote me on this, but I think it might be Skimmerhorne. : : Alex : ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: FW: names for ourselves Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 23:27:03 EDT > > I never got a response from anyone on "Giants", since WE might be > > giants, right? > > > > shep > > > Well, that's right, we might be giants, MIGHT be, so I think it > would be misguided to establish for once and for all, arbitrarily, if > either they or we are in fact giants. Coming to that conclusion might in > fact destroy our raison d'etre: to forever maintain that the possibility > exists that they might be giants, but not to know or say for sure. That's > why I liked Giant Heads. Also, Giants alone sounds like a baseball team. Why not Fans Who Might Be Giants? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:13:05 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: names for ourselves (let's not) On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > You all can debate this to your heart's content, but I will not go by any > label. The idea of being a groupie, frankly, nauseates me. Was it Kirkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me." Hee hee. I know at least one person who will get this, right Dan? :) Nola ------------------------------ From: u.daufenbach@amtrash.comlink.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: Re: enough with the english lesson? Date: 12 Aug 1996 00:00:00 +0000 Es begab sich am 10.08.96, dass jnesmith@atl.mindspring.com folgende Zeichen zum Thema "enough with the english lesson?" in den Monitor ritzte: > Hey! My German copy of Flood has the lyric sheet translated into German! Sure! And I shot Kennedy! Your German copy was distributed by whom? -- Lemmee guess: Sauerkraut-Label? I also got a "German" copy, but there's not a single German word on it. Greetings from Glueckstadt U w e ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:33:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Jewel On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Leo Bicknell wrote: > > On 'Casey's Top 40' just now they said that Jewel > did a special concert in New York this week solely for > fans on her Internet mailing list. Talk about cool. :-) Just to expand on this...I was temporarily on the Jewel mailing list (jewel@smoe.org) and they were talking about it. It was called "Jewelstock" and it was held in the NY area (I think). I heard it was extremely awesome and there are several online www sites that have photographs and sound clips from the show(s) (I don't remember if there was one or two shows). Wouldn't this be a great idea for the Johns... (hint hint for you out there...)...Oh, btw, I unsubscribed from the Jewel list because you get nearly 150 or 200 messages a day...maybe that was just cuz of Jewelstock and all but I couldn't handle Jewel AND Them so I gave up Jewel. But Jewel is really awesome in concert (I saw her here in dallas and if you can download the video of her yodeling off the "Everyday Angels" web site, it's pretty shpiffy.) If you ever get a chance, go see her...she's great with crowds... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:42:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Peggy Sue Polk > Has anyone else noticed that the musical intro to the 'new' version of > James K. Polk they've been playing this year in concert sounds a lot like I sure haven't because *I* have *NEVER* seen THEM in concert. I'm a lowly texas person and I'm not included in the concert route as much as the new england states....boo..hoo... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:43:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: names for ourselves > Or how about Missing Heads? (I don't want to be first in line...) I like this...you kinda gotta know about them...not just have heard flood and all... > Of course, there's always the William Allen White Heads, too. Just a Whiteheads = Zits....No, I don't think so... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:47:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: two trumpets at once & OAT > ummm... playing two woodwinds is far more difficult then playing two brass > horns... Well, not to brag, ok, to brag, I played 2 bassoons at the same time once...rather difficult...I had one guy finger one and i did the other.. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 02:31:44 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Subject: Re: two trumpets at once & OAT On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: > Well, not to brag, ok, to brag, I played 2 bassoons at the same time > once...rather difficult...I had one guy finger one and i did the other.. Hmm, that sounds kind of dirty. --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head" They Might Be Giants/John Flansburgh/John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-226 ******************************