Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 227 Wednesday, 14 August 1996 Today's Topics: Re: contacting hello bands Re: Wreckin the trumpets Re: Two Trumpets at once The Two Johns Combined Equals a Grunge Rock Fashion Statement? 9:30 Voting Results He's new! He's improved! He's our 11th president! Re: names for ourselves (let's not) FW: names for ourselves (let's not) Blue Dawg wrote: Sensurround story... :) Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah wayne's world and my vote two saxes, marching band fans Re: wayne's world and my vote : Blue Dawg wrote: Re: BlueDawg wrote: politics on the list Flesh Fest, Names, and a bag of chips Re: two saxes, marching band fans Re: Blue Dawg wrote: C'mon Ride The Train (choo choo)......SHUT UP Re: Jewel oddballs Stompbox Concert Question Re: two saxes, marching band fans where they met... Re: Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah Stompbox , Jewel Why Does The Sun Change? sun shining Re: two saxes, marching band fans FW: Stompbox , Jewel Re: Why Does The Sun Change? Tortellini. woo-hoo! *sigh* Re: Why Does The Sun Change? Re: 9:30 Voting Results Re: woo-hoo! *sigh* fizzy lifting drinks quotes Re: Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: contacting hello bands Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:39:42 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, PinkPrnces@aol.com was saying ... > > I'm asking again just because I'm desperate. Anyone have any info on The > Nelories or those cute little girls I saw at the Avalon in '95?? (are they on > the Hello CD??) > Princess Nelories ... good luck! I haven't heard of ANYTHING released in the US from them. As for "those cute little girls" that you saw at Avalaon in '95, that would be Cibo Matto ... check out their totally rockin' major label release ... unfortunately, I can't find my CD right now (damn co-workers!), so I can't tell you WHICH major label release, but it should be in any major record store! - Fred. ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: Wreckin the trumpets Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:14:31 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Matthew Coon (coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu) was overheard ... > > > Alex writes: > > > > Well, I don't know what the word 'play' was supposed to mean in the original > > post, but when I say 'play', I mean he PLAYED both trumpets at once. He put > > both intstruments to his mouth, and played different notes on each one. I > > saw it, I was there, I saw it all, and from what I remember, it sounded > > really good...the audience was amazed. > > > > > > So Flansburgh made sounds with two trumpets at once. When the subject > was first broached, the issue was ability to play instruments *well* > (i.e., with some degree of proficiency), not simply to produce tones > on them. Consider that the ability to play "Chopsticks" does not make > one a pianist. It means that there's a simple sequence of notes you > can play *on* the piano, but it's not quite the same thing as *playing* > the piano (if you get my distinction). > > I believe it was asked (more or less) whether Flansburgh could > "get by" playing any instrument other than guitar - meaning, could he play > something else as competently as he plays guitar or as Linnell plays > various keyboards and woodwinds? > > The answer still seems to me to be no. Flans's two-trumpet thing is a neat > gimmick, but it doesn't necessarily require any real trumpet-playing ability. > Maynard Ferguson he's not:-) Flans also played TUBA during the Flood tour (and probably earlier, too). While he may no longer play other instruments LIVE, he is/was able to play brass instruments. No, he's probably not as technically proficient as the hired hands, but he can play. I'm fairly certain he can not play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on tuba, but he could probably play "Flight of the Valkerie". Oh ... and don't forget ... the voice IS an instrument! - Fred. ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: Two Trumpets at once Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:21:37 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. As Evan Chakroff (chakroff@ix.netcom.com) was saying ... > > If you were to play two trumpets, with two different note line AND two > different beat patterns you would need two mouths/set of lungs; because > you can't breath in with one side of your mouth and breath out with the > other side. > > I suppose if you were talented enough you could play two trumpets, > different melodies, same beat pattern. Well ... to be honest, when Flans played the two trumpets at one time, it was definitely a showey kind of deal ... just two notes at once ... more of a big farting sound, really. - Fred. ------------------------------ Subject: The Two Johns Combined Equals a Grunge Rock Fashion Statement? From: christopherm@juno.com (Christopher M Moesel) Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:57:22 EDT Anyone ever notice that if you mix the first half of John F.'s name with the last half of John L.'s name just right, you get somethin' pretty close to "Flannel"? And if you do it the other way, you get "Linberg", but that doesn't mean much... except it sorta reminds me of that pilot... or cheese. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 09:11:54 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 9:30 Voting Results Here are the results of the 9:30 Club voting. The #1 song is Rythem Section Want Add with 6 votes and #2 is Nightgown of The Sullen Moon with 5 votes. Now it is time for Leo to take ownership of the results and deliver them to TMBG somehow. ---- Vote Breakdown #1 Rythem Section Want Ad - 6 Votes #2 Nightgown of the Sullen Moon - 5 Votes #3 Narrow Your Eyes - 1 Vote Mrs. Train - 1 Vote She's An Angel - 1 Vote The World's Address - 1 Vote --------- Total 15 Votes ---- Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon ---------------------------- Jeffrey B Scanlon Lawrence P Solomon Nola Weaver christopherm@juno.com (Christopher M Moesel) "Mike Rose, guaranteed" Rythem Section Want Ad ---------------------------- Adam P. Fistler gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) kaochiho@pop.erols.com (Ellen Kao) Matthew James Josh bwhite@ycp.edu Narror Your Eyes ---------------------------- particle@cyber1.servtech.com Mrs. Train ---------------------------- ZippyKelp@aol.com She's An Angel ---------------------------- Paul Sebold The World's Address ---------------------------- Amy ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: He's new! He's improved! He's our 11th president! Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:59:09 -0500 (EST) Brooks wrote: >The Factory Showroom "James K. Polk" is essentially the same song as the >original, but a different, more recent, recording. It's closer to the faster >version they've been playing live of late than to the Istanbul version. Although let's not forget the alleged *musical saw* segment on the forthcoming album version... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: names for ourselves (let's not) Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:51:26 -0500 (EST) > BlueDawg writes: > > You all can debate this to your heart's content, but I will not go by any > label. The idea of being a groupie, frankly, nauseates me. I'm an individual > who happens to like They Might Be Giants, not some mind-numbed follower. > The idea of groupies probably also disturbs the band. When asked if they are a "cult" band, BlueDawg's above self-description was basically how They described their vision of TMBG fans. > Just my unwelcomed $20.00 (for inflation after Clinton II). > Tut, let's keep our own personal little political visions far, far away... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:20:40 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: names for ourselves (let's not) > You all can debate this to your heart's content, but I will not go by any > label. The idea of being a groupie, frankly, nauseates me. Was it Kirkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me." Hee hee. I know at least one person who will get this, right Dan? :) Nola Nola: Zin zah binduwah....ZIN ZAH BINDUWAAAAAAAAAAAH! If you got the first one, you'll get the second. shep ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:34:05 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: Blue Dawg wrote: Blue Dawg wrote: >Just my unwelcome $20.00 worth (for inflation after Clinton II) and m@t wrote "Tut, let's keep our own personal little political visions far, far away" Jasoooon then writes: Even conservatives should be allowed to glue their posters. Is free speech only reserved for liberals? ------------------------------ From: Loafboat@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:35:21 -0400 Subject: Sensurround story... :) Yesterday I went to Pizza Hut with some of my friends. We were the only people there so someone said, "SOmebody play something in the jukebox so that we're not the only noise in here" So I got up and started towards the jukebox (when my "friend" told everyone else that someone should come with me so that we don't have any "strange" music playing). I flipped through my choices and did not see any CD's I liked, when lo and behold, I saw the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers soundtrack. I wasd so excited I was jumping up and down and played the song many times over again. Needless to say, came time to call our parents, I was short a few quarters. The best part was, my friends (who come into my room and hear Them playing and shut my cd player off without my consent) didn't mind the song. One actually said, "this isn't SO bad..." Julie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:07:34 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah On 8/11/96 some true genius wrote: >Excuse me folks, but it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY TWO TRUMPETS AT ONCE!!! IT >CAN'T BE DONE!!! (Unless, of course, you have two mouths and two pairs >of lungs; If Flans does have two of all this stuff, has the scientific >community been notified?) Well obviously its not impossible if Flans did it which is wot Alex saw with his own two eyes. I've never known Alex to lie and I don't think that he decided to start with that. For the record one of the guys in Morphine also plays two brass or wind instruments at the same time (I forget which but heard this from reliable resources after they came on a tour). BTW "play" in that last sentence means the guy can actually manage both of the instruments and not just make notes which I'm sure Flans could do as well. Rant deactivated, Brother JohnBejezus Come on everybody, be a brother John! I'm tired of it just being Brother John Blackhawk and I. I forgive those of you who weren't here for the original Brother John post but I think the world could use a Brother JohnRuprecht and Brother JohnBlueDawg, etc. msg. fbi. rip. "Mumbling weighs upon my mind, the talk of creatures in my spine" - The Residents ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:12:08 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: wayne's world and my vote >Was it Kirkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you >negate me." >Hee hee. I know at least one person who will get this, right Dan? :) >Nola make that two nola!!!! and i still vote for: The Prosthetic Foreheads! labels or not i love it! green jello, not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:29:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Shoestraps and Eyelashes Subject: two saxes, marching band fans : ..not very *well* as mentioned, but i can actually play a "c" on : a tenor saxophone while playing a "g" on an alto saxophone alto on the right side, right hand on the top keys, and one finger on the tenor...tough. I played bari....the real man's sax. O.k. I play bari as well, so don't flame me! Anyhow, since We've started all this this instrument discussion, and noting the two John's met while in the Umass marching band (isn't this right?) How many out there have ties to marhcing bands either in the past or present...I myself am in marching band among other musical projects at school..and since high school it seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? Anybody like me out there? :) J A Y ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: wayne's world and my vote Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:33:06 -0400 : >Was it Kirkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you : >negate me." : >Hee hee. I know at least one person who will get this, right Dan? :) : : >Nola : : make that two nola!!!! I got it, but chose not to say anything before. I'm the one on the AMC list. : and i still vote for: : The Prosthetic Foreheads! labels or not i love it! And again, I vote for "None of the Above!!" S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "And Kirkegaard was a drunken fart. I drink, therefore, I am."--Bruce's Philosophers Song ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:33:48 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: : Blue Dawg wrote: ** Orig: 08/13/96 12:26 pm ** ** SMTPAB: SMTP Gateway PAB ** : Blue Dawg wrote: : >Just my unwelcome $20.00 : worth (for inflation after : Clinton II) : : and m@t wrote "Tut, let's keep : our own personal little : political visions far, far : away" : : Jasoooon then writes: : Even conservatives should be : allowed to glue their posters. : Is free speech only reserved : for liberals? And BlueDawg quips back: Don't label me!! I'm not a republican!! If I'm anything, I'm a Libertarian, but I'd rather be referred to as a BlueDawgist. And Why are we typing in these little bitty paragraphs? S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotno t/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ** Annot: 08/13/96 12:31 pm ** ** HAJ: J. Hoffman ** I didn't label you a republic- an, the term I used was "conservative" (the two are not interchangable) and the label was not aimed at you and was not a label at all, rather a statement to cause thinking to occur. Being a Blue Dawgist seems a lofty and enviable goal, however, if I called myself a "Jasoooooonis- t" I might be mistaken for a woodwind player. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: BlueDawg wrote: politics on the list Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:49:24 -0500 (EST) > > Blue Dawg wrote: > >Just my unwelcome $20.00 > worth (for inflation after > Clinton II) > > and m@t wrote "Tut, let's keep > our own personal little > political visions far, far > away" > > Jasoooon then writes: > Even conservatives should be > allowed to glue their posters. > Is free speech only reserved > for liberals? > It has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. It has nothing to do with whether any of us worships Bill Clinton as the next messiah or has named the Republican party as the sole benefactor in his last will and testament. What it does have to do with is the fact that people on this list in the past have agreed that it is *not* a place for political discussions (James K. Polk among the obvious exceptions). If you didn't like the grammar threads, you have never *seen* ugliness until politics rears its head in a previously friendly mailing list. Glue your posters somehwere else, whether you are a liberal, a conservative, or a reactionary who reads political affiliations into messages when they are not there. m@t I know politics bore you... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:52:15 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Flesh Fest, Names, and a bag of chips The one and only (thank God) Ruprecht wrote: >Yes, it's called the Oklahoma Flesh Fest, in case you've just come here >recently :P... hahahahahahah... Am I the only one still hoping? Mike, >you can drive through Michigan on your way to Oklahoma and pick me up... YES! Bring back the Flesh Fest! I don't see how this thread could have disappeared. It was the ultimate plan. On the topic o' names, I call myself Jimmy but that's just when I'm being naughty. ;) Pretty soon I will activate my amazing fantastical post-a-tron 3000 which will reveal to people that they don't need to comment on every thread but until then... Martin Van Buren's press secretary, Brother JohnBejezus "Mumbling weighs upon my mind, the talk of creatures in my spine" - The Residents ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: two saxes, marching band fans Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:58:41 -0400 : Anyhow, since We've started all this this instrument discussion, : and noting the two John's met while in the Umass marching band : (isn't this right?) Uh. No. I point you, the uneducated, to Myke Weiskopf's Early Years FAQ. Flansburgh went to Antioch U. in Xenia, OH. I don't believe that Linnell went to College. They met in High School. http://execpc.com/~jerk/ey_faq/ : How many out there have ties to marhcing bands : either in the past or present...I myself am in marching band : among other musical projects at school..and since high school it : seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in : marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? : Anybody like me out there? :) I quit after my eighth grade year. I became so sick of it. Went to play football instead. All of my friends who like TMBG are so because I introduced them. Since I'm not currently going to school, I've got no contact with a band, nor do I wish to have contact with one. I prefer to play my music by myself. I've got a demo tape that I'm thinking about sending to Hello. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Blue Dawg wrote: Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:02:31 -0400 Being a Blue : Dawgist seems a lofty and : enviable goal, however, if I : called myself a "Jasoooooonis- : t" I might be mistaken for a : woodwind player. Unfortunately, you can't be a BlueDawgist. It's a party of one. Sorry. However, you wouldn't make any waves with being a Jasooooonist...we have a lot of woodwind players around here, anyway. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:25:27 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: C'mon Ride The Train (choo choo)......SHUT UP This has nothing to do with TMBG, but I'm sure you won't mind. Every time I turn on MTV, to catch something decent (rarely)....I see the Quad City DJ's singing "C'mon Ride The Train". I don't like it when people tell me what to do. I have no interest in riding the train. Plus, they seem to be taking this train-riding thing WAY too seriously. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html (something of interest for everyone!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:01:23 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Jewel >yup... it was called Jewelstock and it was a benefit for a barn in >woodstock, ny. the first night was "by invitation only" (i was invited, >but unfortunately was unable to attend!) and the second night was open to >the public. you had to be on the mailing list to get an invitation! >wouldn't it be great if they did a mailing list only show...????????? I guess it would be great, but what about everyone who lives far, far away and wouldn't be able to attend? That would probably be the case for a large majority of the listers. Sarah Cooke "I'm frequently asked, 'Do you believe there's extraterestrial intelligence?' I give the standard arguments-there are a lot of places out there, the molecules of life are everywhere, I use the word billions, and so on...." -Carl Sagan ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: oddballs Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:06:44 -0400 (EDT) Hmm Oddballs might confuse us with Frank Black fans doncha think? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:05:18 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Stompbox Yesterday at Borders I found some CDs by a band called Stompbox. That name seems conspicuously TMBG inspired. Does anyone have any information about them? Sarah Cooke "I'm frequently asked, 'Do you believe there's extraterestrial intelligence?' I give the standard arguments-there are a lot of places out there, the molecules of life are everywhere, I use the word billions, and so on...." -Carl Sagan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:27:48 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Concert Question Does anyone now any details about the Oct. 4 concert in Gainesville, like where it is? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 15:34:19 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: two saxes, marching band fans > From tmbg-list-owner@ussodyssey.ufp.org Tue Aug 13 14:04:32 1996 > From: "BlueDawg" > To: "Shoestraps and Eyelashes" > Cc: "Lactose Intolerant Anynomous" > Subject: Re: two saxes, marching band fans > Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:58:41 -0400 > X-Msmail-Priority: Normal > X-Priority: 3 > X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1132 > Mime-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type> : > text/plain> ; > charset=Default> > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Reply-To: "BlueDawg" > > Uh. No. I point you, the uneducated, to Myke Weiskopf's Early Years FAQ. > Flansburgh went to Antioch U. in Xenia, OH. I don't believe that Linnell went > to College. > They met in High School. I thought Linnell went to art school but got kick out or something. I remember him saying on some radio interview that Meet James Ensor was about the only good thing that came out of his artschool. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: where they met... Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:45:01 -0400 (EDT) > > : Anyhow, since We've started all this this instrument discussion, > : and noting the two John's met while in the Umass marching band > : (isn't this right?) > > Uh. No. I point you, the uneducated, to Myke Weiskopf's Early Years FAQ. > Flansburgh went to Antioch U. in Xenia, OH. I don't believe that Linnell went > to College. > They met in High School. Tis true, they met in High School whiloe working on the school newspaper, which noone except the newspaper staff liked ;) And it was the only] high school paper without a sports section. Oh, and when I saw TMBG at Lisner Auditorium at George Washington Uni. Flans said he went to the school for a semester and just used to sit in the auditorium and stare at the glowing Exit sign. I guess he didn't like DC or GWU that much. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Gee) Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:28:40 EDT On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:07:34 -0400 frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) writes: >Brother JohnBejezus > >Come on everybody, be a brother John! I'm tired of it just being >Brother >John Blackhawk and I. I forgive those of you who weren't here for the >original Brother John post but I think the world could use a Brother >JohnRuprecht and Brother JohnBlueDawg, etc. msg. fbi. rip. > Geez No, of course not, the day that happens is the day I sell my $7500 TMBG truck... [well of course considering that I don't happen to have the $7500 TMBG truck, well, you can make a general assumption] bad .sig? =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Stompbox , Jewel Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:52:17 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: > > Yesterday at Borders I found some CDs by a band called Stompbox. That name > seems conspicuously TMBG inspired. Does anyone have any information about > them? > > I have seen this Stompbox CD many times in the used bin, it's been there for ages. I always pick it up subconsciously, maybe I should ask them if I could listen to it someetime. I always thought it was some stupid CD. As for Jewel,I got her CD last christmas because I liked the single (and thought she was a gorgeous Alaskan!). Well I listened to it and found it VERY depressing, I'm talking Morrissey-depressing here if not worse. I haven't really listened to it much since, come to think of it, I got Edwin Colins at the same time and haven't listened to that much either hmmm I have heard the yodeling she can do on a talk show, it was cool!! Matt Oh, since the Candy Butchers are opening for TMBG I might take a looky at the Soundgarden for the Candy Butchers cd I saw at the beginning of the year for $7.99! -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:56:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, with a bullet" Subject: Why Does The Sun Change? On the original CD version of Why Does The Sun Shine, there is the following lyric: "The heat and light of the sun come from the nuclear reactions of...hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and helium." From time to time the lyrics are altered in performance, and here are but a few of the numerous variations on this line. CONAN O'BRIEN: ...the nuclear reaction between hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, thiamin, nutrasweet, haminin, hazm...hzm...and hydrogen. IDIOT'S DELIGHT: ...the nuclear reaction between hydrogen, helium, Robert Kriscow (?), and estrogen. RICHMOND VA: ...the nuclear reaction between hydrogen, oxygen, helium...(unintelligible)...and John Flansburgh on guitar!! BARRYMORE THEATRE: ...the nuclear reaction between hydrogen, oxygen...and many others. FRANK O'TOOLE SHOW: ...the nuclear reaction between hydrogen...and you, Frank O'Toole! Anyone else have any other good ones? Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head" They Might Be Giants/John Flansburgh/John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: sun shining Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:06:22 -0400 (EDT) I am curious to know why TMBG played WDTSS? in the 80s and then stopped and started playing it again in the early-mid 90s. Or have they been playing it all along? Anyone know what nuits de reve means in French? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: two saxes, marching band fans Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:11:24 -0400 : I thought Linnell went to art school but got kick out or something. I remember : him saying on some radio interview that Meet James Ensor was about the only : good thing that came out of his artschool. Flansburgh, the one who went to art school, wrote Meet James Ensor. BlueDawg....who after reading his last few posts, thinks he's becoming grumpy. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:22:23 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Stompbox , Jewel >I have seen this Stompbox CD many times in the used bin, it's been there >for ages. I always pick it up subconsciously, maybe I should ask them >if I could listen to it someetime. I always thought it was some stupid >CD. I've heard Stompbox....nothing outstanding. The evil King Joey from WBER played it once. Sounds like everything else. >As for Jewel,I got her CD last christmas because I liked the single (and >thought she was a gorgeous Alaskan!). Well I listened to it and found >it VERY depressing, I'm talking Morrissey-depressing here if not worse. >I haven't really listened to it much since, come to think of it, I >got Edwin Colins at the same time and haven't listened to that much >either hmmm >I have heard the yodeling she can do on a talk show, it was cool!! Jewel is a gorgeous Alaskan. No doubt about it. But I digress. Her stuff is a bit melancholy. >Oh, since the Candy Butchers are opening for TMBG I might take a looky >at the Soundgarden for the Candy Butchers cd I saw at the beginning of >the year for $7.99! I'm glad our evil nemesis, 95.1/95.5 stopped doing commercials for the Soundgarden. "Just cause it's in Caledonia doesn't mean it moos...."......idiots. shep ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Why Does The Sun Change? Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:39:21 -0500 (EST) > > Anyone else have any other good ones? > "... huge, gigantic wood..." m@t ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:13:28 -0400 Subject: Tortellini. Nola said: > Was it Kirkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you > negate me." > > Hee hee. I know at least one person who will get this, right Dan? :) Ah Waynes World will never die. I watched it for the first time in years last week, and I still remember every line. Even the ones in Cantonese. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 22:49:00 -0400 From: dragon or angstgirl Subject: woo-hoo! *sigh* hey gang! my world, as always, is teetering between euphoric delight and heart-shattering angst. heart-shattering angst because i can't go to the 9:30 show in dc this friday :( despite all my efforts and alex's generous offer to let me ride in his car and matt james's generous offer to let me sleep at his house. it makes me sad because it seems like so many of you are going to be there, and i want to meet you all! poopy poopy poopy. on the other hand, i finally got my copy of MonoPuff: Unsupervised. and i like it. so yay! :) but does a cd really compare to a concert? i guess it'll have to. anyway, if anybody else can't make it to the dc show but _can_ make it to thunder bay that night, you can come and hear my band play...we're no tmbg, but we don't suck either. get stared at by linnell for me... heather :@ "take off that stupid looking hat, you ass" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:37:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Why Does The Sun Change? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Aug-96 Why Does The Sun Change? by Mike Rose@yucc.yorku.ca > Anyone else have any other good ones? yeah.... in London, on 8/28/89, it was: "The sun is so hot... The sun is so hot that everything on it IS A GAS: aluminum, copper, iron, (unintelligible, ends in -eat), Picadilly Circus, wood, and... and me, John Linnell." and... "Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom smashing machine... the heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reaction between hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, lithium, boron, chloron, floron, moron, and... estrogen." It seems that now they don't change it at all... Flansburgh said at one show back in 1994 "All that is true. We used to change the lyrics but now the song is all fact." So I guess we can't expect anything unusual from WDTSS anymore, except maybe if they slow it down again to surprise everyone... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:43:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: 9:30 Voting Results On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > Here are the results of the 9:30 Club voting. The #1 song is > Rythem Section Want Add with 6 votes and #2 is Nightgown of The > Sullen Moon with 5 votes. > Hehehehehe, my friend Kevin wanted to vote for a song too, but we missed the deadline since my server was down. Anyhow, he said, "tell the list that if John and John play 'No One Knows My Plan', I'll rent a Space Ghost costume and dance around like the guy on the credits of Cartoon Planet!" I just thought I'd share this with you all because I thought the mental picture was too funny to keep to myself :) But there I go again with my imagination..... Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:12:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: woo-hoo! *sigh* > ...and matt james's generous offer to let me sleep at his house. > Hey, Matt wanted you to sleep at his house too? What's with you Matt, you big pervert!!! :) (j/k) > get stared at by linnell for me... Ooooh, here's hoping....*sigh* :) ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:43:18 -0400 (EDT) Subject: fizzy lifting drinks In response to requests to identify the quote, FYI: This quotation, which i find myself referring to often these days: >>Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!!! You STOLE fizzy lifting drinks!!! comes from the classic cult film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (based on the classic children's novels by the late & great Roald Dahl). Willy Wonka is making the claim that Charlie and his grandpa have violated their agreement not to steal anything, because they took a sip of those fizzy lifting drinks and floated up toward this gigantic fan and would have died except they burped and came down and then the american kid shrunk so he could be on tv and the girl turned into a giant blueberry and... oops, sorry, got carried away. Grammar check this, sportsfans! stevie. ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:44:56 -0400 (EDT) Subject: quotes Oh, BTW, I get "sportsfans" from The Great Santini. He used it as either a singular or plural pronoun, depending on whom he was berating. stevie. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:54:03 -0400 From: "The Real Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Flansie's Fantastical Horn Huzah At 13:07 8/13/96 -0400, Bejezus wrote: >Well obviously its not impossible if Flans did it which is wot Alex saw with >his own two eyes. I've never known Alex to lie and I don't think that he >decided to start with that. WOW...thanks, Bej! It's nice to know that I have some real friends here on the list. I appreciate you standing up for me...it was not necessary, but really very nice of you. I hope I can do the same for you one day. Your Friend Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-227 ******************************