Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-228 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 228 Thursday, 15 August 1996 Today's Topics: WW & Jewel & a note for Brother John Bejezus modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! French question tmbg-list Digest #2-227 Re: modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! Re: 9:30 Voting Results That Flesh Fest again... They Might Be Marching Bandits Funniest WDTSS meeting Re: modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! Re: They Might Be Marching Bandits + OAT Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-224 HELP! ride to 930 Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 The White head guy on Cartoon Planet? Re: where they met (sorta) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:11:25 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: WW & Jewel & a note for Brother John Bejezus nola: and who could forget "if you're gonna spew, spew in this" or the great dish "cream uvsum yung gi" jewel is one awesome ***schwing*** babe, but i think she might need to invest in some braces... this is for brother john bejezus: brother john green jello ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 07:18:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! List o' Fun, Ok, fist I'd like to start by thanking everyone who voted for "She's an Angel" for the 9:30 show... all one of me. Nevermind that it's only like a kabillion times better than any other song on that cd.... (and, no, that's not an opinion, but scientifically proven fact). Anyway, I have a request. Someone (on a previous post that I unfortunately deleted) posted the mail address where I could get hold of the SpaceGhost album (Modern Music for Swingin' Superheroes). Would whoever did that (or anyone for that matter) mind giving me that address again?? please? Thanks. -and I'm the Boogie Machine, if you know what I mean. Paul ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -excess ain't rebellion, you're drinkin' what they're sellllin'... + + *Cake* + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:06:27 -0500 From: tjdavila@mail.utexas.edu (Davila) Subject: French question >From:mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) >Subject:Sun Shining >Date:Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:06:22 -0400(EDT) >I am curious to knowwhy TMBG played WDTSS in the 80s and then stopped and >started playing it again in the early-mid 80s. Or have they been playing it >all along? Anyone know what nuits dereve means in French? >Matt Matt, I think in French nuits de r=EAve means quelque chose qu'on peut r=EAv= er pendant la nuit. Or whatever, but if you want to know what it means in English... I think if there's no surprize idiomatic meaning, it just means, "nights of dream." Your friendly French major in Austin, Tara =20 P.S. If I would've voted for anything, it would've been Youth Culture Killed My Dog. P.P.S.Whoever was whining about TMBG never coming to Texas, I whine with you! I've seen them only thrice :-(=20 ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 14 Aug 1996 11:31:02 EST Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 TM><<< This message is part 2 of a previous message >>> TM>Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ TM>ObWittySig: "And Kirkegaard was a drunken fart. I drink, therefore, I TM>am."--Bruce's Philosophers Song Actually, it ain't Kirkegaard, it's Rene Descartes. Don't try to argue, I have the album and the video, both with lyric sheets. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 12:00:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Aug-96 modern music for swingin' s.. by Paul Sebold@husky.northe > Ok, fist I'd like to start by thanking everyone who voted for > "She's an Angel" for the 9:30 show... all one of me. Nevermind that it's > only like a kabillion times better than any other song on that cd.... > (and, no, that's not an opinion, but scientifically proven fact). Yeah, I agree, but they've played it in concert before - i.e. there's already a chance that they'll play it. Many of the others have been played less frequently, which is why I voted for Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, which, as far as I know, has never been played live... Also, since a *lot* of the mailing list and newsgroup people are going to be there this Friday, and hopefully all standing together, we could coordinate something and all simultaneously ask for Fingertips or something... I, personally thing we should all shout "Play Dead!" and see what kind of reaction we get. As far as everyone meeting is concerned. I think 8:45 is too late. Why don't we all start to gather in front at about 8:30? Just two more days... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:16:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeffrey B Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Re: 9:30 Voting Results > Now it is time for Leo to take ownership of the results and deliver > them to TMBG somehow. how about we make a sign and/or shout the song name to them when its a good moment? :) I doubt they'd ignore a crowd of 15 shouting the name of one song .. though whether they actually PLAY it ... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:32:14 PST Subject: That Flesh Fest again... From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) Hey when ARE we having the Flesh Fest?? I was a major contributor to the idea back when it started (Me and Tracy Grazioli - 'member her? We called ourselves Johnette Frostburg and Tracy Graziolinnell..... ah, those were the days......) I STILL WANNA HAVE IT!!!! Let's get cracking, Puppet Heads!!! Later, Nette Things were lookin' rad For the forces of bad All right! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:28:36 PST Subject: They Might Be Marching Bandits From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) In the immortal words of Shoestraps and Eyelashes: > Anyhow, since We've started all this this instrument discussion, > and noting the two John's met while in the Umass marching band > (isn't this right?) How many out there have ties to marhcing bands > either in the past or present...I myself am in marching band > among other musical projects at school..and since high school it > seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in > marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? > Anybody like me out there? :) Hey I like you..... oh, right, who IS like you. Well, same there, too. I was in 5 years of marching band in HS (we started in 8th grade), and dazzled many a freshman with my rendition of Particle man on Clarinet & Tuba (Me & my bro). So I guess it may be a trend... cool..... Nette, the marching bandit ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:41:45 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, with a bullet" Subject: Funniest WDTSS Hey, the award for the funniest live rendition of Why Does The Sun Shine goes to the one performed in Newark DE on 09/29/93. It went like this: Linnell: "If the sun were hollow a million earths could fit inside..." Crowd: Murmurs One guy in crowd: "Bullshit!" ...pause... Linnell: "Fuck you, man!" I nearly died laughing. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "All of your friends will be floating right above your disembodied head" They Might Be Giants/John Flansburgh/John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "You gotta put one in the brain. Then he's dead. Then we can go home." -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: meeting Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:50:22 -0400 (EDT) > As far as everyone meeting is concerned. I think 8:45 is too late. Why > don't we all start to gather in front at about 8:30? It doesn't really matter if we get there at 8:30 or 8:45, we can't do anything untlil those doors open. It's not like there's gonna be some superhuge line and people are just going to rush the front of the place to get a spot (at least most people won't). If we all do want to meet beforehand we might want to get there at 8:45 at the latest tho, unless we all meet at the Food Food counter ;) > > Just two more days... > Yes indeed! I'm psyched, tell us how that Sea Brite concert goes toinight, whoever is going! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:29:08 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (Benjamin Stewart) Subject: Re: modern music for swingin' superheoes: Help! > Anyway, I have a request. Someone (on a previous post that I >unfortunately deleted) posted the mail address where I could get hold of >the SpaceGhost album (Modern Music for Swingin' Superheroes). Would >whoever did that (or anyone for that matter) mind giving me that address >again?? please? Thanks. yes yes... I would like that also as too. i mean as well. at any rate, will someone please send me the address...? BS ... So it goes. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: They Might Be Marching Bandits + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:38:18 EDT On Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:28:36 PST internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) writes: >In the immortal words of Shoestraps and Eyelashes: > >> marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? >> Anybody like me out there? :) > >Hey I like you..... oh, right, who IS like you. Well, same there, too. >I was in 5 years of marching band in HS (we started in 8th grade), and >dazzled many a freshman with my rendition of Particle man on Clarinet >& Tuba (Me & my bro). So I guess it may be a trend... cool..... >Nette, the marching bandit > Well, I know lots of people, and lots of people know me, and lots of these people are in Band and such, but none of them seem to like TMBG and I don't seem to be in band... In fact I have no musical talent apart from my startling ability to sing soprano better than the star soprano - who happens to be a girl, as most sopranos are (for those of you who don't know this of sopranos) - in the church I am/was involved in - though I think I have given it up for Wally Pleasant concert, which happen to come on Wednesdays, the same day as church choir -... I am supposedly able to sing tenor and Bass as well, but not nearly as well as tenor... Anyway, my dad wanted me to be in band, he wanted me to play trumpet or somesuch... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): Um, gonna see a Wally (Pleasant) gig tonight, I think I will actually see the whole thing... I'm deathly (is that even the right use of that?) afraid of buses so I am walking... I hear there is a TMBG concert tonight, somehow I don't even feel like I'm settling... I'll see Them one of these days... oh well... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:12:14 +0200 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-224 >Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 02:16:00 -0500 >From: Andrew W Puckett >Subject: RE: Cartoons > >> >>Anyone here rememver Danger Mouse? (followed closely by Banana Man)... >> >I do! Were both of those Brit'toons? Banana Man was definitely British, >but I don't remember enough about DM. I love British Humo(u)r. I'm glad >that I don't have to wait for American releases of foreign material to fuel >*ALL* of my tastes. I'm glad that we at least have good music, namely TMBG. >What would kick ass would be if I could see some Space Ghost, and they >played some old DM or BM (if that is indeed what he does), and they used >TMBG as filler music. That would kick ass. Plus, I'd just like to see that >Danger Mouse bad guy's helper, Grovel. > >"Grovel.....nonono, stop groveling, Grovel.....nonono, stop..." I remember Danger Mouse too!!! That was a kick ass show!!!! I bet lots of TMBG fans watched it. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember watching it and that it was cool. Didn't Danger Mouse get blown up a lot? Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:00:42 -0400 From: John Murray Subject: HELP! ride to 930 Well due to fact I sorta scraped up one the wheels on my dads truck, My parents my not let me have a car to go to the aug 16 930 club show. So I am looking for ride to and from the show. I live in Springfield, VA (northern Virginia), just a few minutes off of the capital beltway @ braddock road. Can any one Help me! If you can help please leave a message on my voice mail at 1-800-376-5772 ext 2770 or E-mail me at jmurray@vt.edu ASAP. Help me Please!!!!!! -John Murray jmurray@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 23:10:40 -0400 Subject: Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing I was reading through this excellent book (which everybody should go out and buy. It's called "Understanding Comics," by Scott McCloud) and I suddenly noticed something. If anybody else has this book, look at the writing in the guy on the bottom of page 208. It made the book even cooler. If you're in a bookstore, you should be able to find this book, so check it out. -Dan --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway P.S. What does everybody think of Soul Coughing? I've heard a lot about them, and am wondering if I should buy either of their albums. ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:20:56 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 I would like to withdraw from the digest list nick ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:49:33 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: The White head guy on Cartoon Planet? Um, I'm sorry to ask this but what is the head guy's name again? The something something White guy? Is it William something? Arrggh! I have read about him but I temporarily forgot. I think I just saw a picture of his head on Cartoon Planet behind Zorak. Did anyone else see that? I really think it was him. Those ears are unforgettable. Less than 48 hours till TMBG!!! Yay! Are you all ready for your road trip Alex and Mike? hauling my gargantuan cranium about, Nola ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 01:54:41 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: where they met (sorta) I remember hearing that the Johns were both art students, and recently it occurred to me they are in good company in that respect: DEVO Talking Heads and several other bands I like that I can't think of right now all started out as art students. Interesting, huh? Can anyone think of others? Also, the first time I saw Them do WDTSS I'm pretty sure JL included "wood" and "hair" among the elements whose "nuclear reactions" contribute to the "heat and light of the sun." I'm not sure which show that was, though; it might've been the CBGB anniversary. stevie. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-228 ******************************