Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-229 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 229 Sunday, 18 August 1996 Today's Topics: Re: where they met (sorta) Lotsa stuff, neat stuff. A Simple Question +OAT Re: They Might Be Marching Bandits tradewinds show Re: Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing while you were gone... Re: The White head guy on Cartoon Planet? Administrivia banner watching! What is Sensurround? Mailing list restored. Re: Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing Superheroes, White head, Fuzzy, and TMBG OAT Travelling... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 03:12:31 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: where they met (sorta) On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 stevie@interport.net wrote: > I remember hearing that the Johns were both art students, and recently it > occurred to me they are in good company in that respect: > out as art students. Interesting, huh? Can anyone think of others? REM! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 05:09:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Lotsa stuff, neat stuff. Ok, the email address for Modern Music for Swinging Superheros is: sgc2c@aol.com. There's also cartoon.planet@aol.com. I sent for my copy, it should be on the way as we speak! (err, type..) As for band, I am a music major and was involved in band for 6 years. The only TMBG fans in any band with me were the two friends of mine who got hooked thru me. :( As for DC, I AM SO EXCITED I CAN'T CONTAIN MYSELF!!!! That is all. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org "Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address..." - TMBG ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: A Simple Question +OAT Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:58:41 -0400 Who is Rolf Conant? OAT1: I think there's a (or is it an? but a just sounds better before UFO) UFO on the back of the Devil EP. Look at the window behind Flansburgh....A few observations. 1. Flansburgh looks to be inside his apartment 2. The window in the background looks to have a green shade pulled, but the shade is *outside* the window 3. If there isn't a shade, and it's simply dark outside, there's a UFO outside the window. 4. If there is a shade, it is a reflection from a round fluorescent kitchen light ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: see above ObOff-TopicStuff: Blonde Guy from 311 and Blonde Guy from Wang Chung...Same Guy? Discuss. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Round Headlights Don't Make a Jeep. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Re: They Might Be Marching Bandits Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:04:54 -0500 >------------------------------ > >Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:28:36 PST >Subject: They Might Be Marching Bandits >From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) > >In the immortal words of Shoestraps and Eyelashes: > >> Anyhow, since We've started all this this instrument discussion, >> and noting the two John's met while in the Umass marching band >> (isn't this right?) How many out there have ties to marhcing bands >> either in the past or present...I myself am in marching band >> among other musical projects at school..and since high school it >> seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in >> marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? >> Anybody like me out there? :) > >Hey I like you..... oh, right, who IS like you. Well, same there, too. I >was in 5 years of marching band in HS (we started in 8th grade), and dazzled many a freshman with my rendition of Particle man on Clarinet & Tuba >(Me & my bro). So I guess it may be a trend... cool..... > >Nette, the marching bandit > > I am not in a marcing band yet, just started playing trumpet in 6th, going on into 8th when i'll be in a marching band, and the only friend of mine that really likes TMBG plays trombone. COINCEDENCE OR DESTINY?!?!? PS. i am going for a week, subscribed to the digest, I HATE IT! it's hard to reply unless you want it to say Re: TMBG-list digest blahblahblah... -Wyatt ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:23:05 -0400 (EDT) Subject: tradewinds show I was listening to the radio yesterday and I heard them give away 2 pair of tix to the show at Tradewinds, but I don't have a phone in my car... I couldn't go anyway because I had to take my boyfriend to get his first tatoo... I think seeing him in that much pain was actually worth missing TMBG! stevie. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing From: christopherm@juno.com (Christopher M Moesel) Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:18:47 EDT Well, I bought Soul Coughings newest disc last week (I already forgot it's name), and was disappointed myself. I had heard parts of their first disc and thought it was cool, so I figured the newest would be even cooler, but I think I was wrong. It's good, but just not good enough to win me as a fan. In fact, I'm gonna try to trade it for their older disc used... So, I guess I might not recommend the latest installment, but I'm only one opinion... ***TMBG CONTENT*** Soul Coughing uses drum machines. Just like TMBG used to. ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:08:15 -0400 Subject: while you were gone... argh! turn away from the list for a few days and flansy's frumpet (oh, ok- trumpet) fiasco mutates to a discusion on marching bands and mayhap even politics.. eeeeew. for what its worth i have no political afiliations tho since this IS the tmbg list i'm tempted to speculate on "if john and john ran for president[s?]" well, i know theyd have the best campaign slogan anyway... and it seems we've established we're all a group of unique individuals held together by the common thread of music and we defy all labels.. woohoo! oh yeah- i think its realy pretty amazeing that everyones willing to give eachother rides n stuff just on the basis of music.. john and john have done a beutiful thing here.. i'll be with you in spirit at the 9:30 =p back to grammar- well im sorry maybe its best you just skip this but i've recently found myself in the position of haveing to convey that a preformance by my fave band is takeing place and been at a loss- "hey guess what- they might be giants are playing! er, is playing? they might b giants is playing?" nothing sounds right... anyone else have these problems or is it just the english language tormenting me? last night on space gohst chad said he was gonna kick tad's butt in "full 3-D senserround" or something. i also found a little article on senserround in some magazine that said it was only used once for some movie: Earthquake! and consisted of putting speakers under the seats and playing really loud. peace love and tryptophane for all, liz ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The White head guy on Cartoon Planet? Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:18:24 -0500 (EST) > > Um, I'm sorry to ask this but what is the head guy's name again? The > something something White guy? Is it William something? Arrggh! I have > read about him but I temporarily forgot. > > Why, oh why does nobody read the FAQ when they have Frequently Asked Questions??? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:59:01 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:14:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: banner watching! hoooorya!! those of you not going in the big matt james/nola posse, look for the banner when you get there! nola and i will have it nice and big and beautiful--a beacon to our true TMBG list friends! look for us!! we will bear it proudly! (*thppppt* to you, matt!) hehe. see you all there! --franologist ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:16:12 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: What is Sensurround? The word/name has been mentioned a couple times on this list since I first got on a couple weeks ago. What is Sensurround? Thanks john drauss ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Mailing list restored. Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 12:32:21 -0400 (EDT) If you got this message, then the mailing list is back up and working. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:20:58 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re: Understanding Comics and Soul Coughing At 11:18 AM 8/15/96 EDT, you wrote: >***TMBG CONTENT*** >Soul Coughing uses drum machines. Just like TMBG used to. Nice try, but you be illin'. They have a live drummer. You may think you hear a drum machine, but you're probably hearing the samples the keyboardist is triggering. No drum machine. Nope. Sorry. ObTMBG Content: It never fails. Everytime I listen to "Mammal" I get all choked up. That song makes me proud to be part of the mammalian domain. ---===sigh===--- toodleoo, Jason, who has nothing against a good drum machine every once in a while. AND needs a new .sig. --------------------Doody Yeowmp---------------------- ===It's hard to keep a round table orderly.=== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:03:15 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Superheroes, White head, Fuzzy, and TMBG OAT This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info. --IMA.Boundary.018006938 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-ID: Content-Description: cc:Mail note part Ok, the address for the Cartoon Planet CD is as follows, this I got from the folks at Cartoon Planet. Whitehead guy? Eh? Do you mean Space Ghost, or the picture of the person who hangs behind Zorak? That would be the guy from the tv version of the "Odd Couple," I think. (Ah, Evan Dorkin, what a wit you are!) Another band I have discovered of late is Fuzzy. They rock...I loved their song "Flashlight" before I had their CD, then I got the CD and it is so swell, it's all I've listened to all week. I highly recommend them, and if anyone can give me the lyrics to "Flashlight," I shall build a temple and worship them as a god (Well, maybe. But I will hold them in very high esteem.) I too hated John Henry when I first heard them...in fact, my friend and I were just discussing this very thing today, so imagine my surprise to see it mentioned on the list. I think a lot of it came from it following on the extreme disappointment of REM's Monster-that album sucked, so I expected JH too as well. But I set it aside, and then on a whim, picked it up again over winter break. I of course listened to nothing else the rest of the time. I now consider it one of my favourites. A close tie between it and Apollo 18, for sure. Funny how REM released Monster around the same time that TMBG did JH (well, at least, I bought them at the same time.). Conversely, REM is set to release a new album soon (so I hear), as is TMBG. Coincidence? Perhapss.. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:17:57 -0400 From: Cartoon.Planet@turner.com To: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: CD Close! it's 6.71, and yes it's cheap!! Here's the info: MODERN MUSIC FOR SWINGING SUPERHEROEs, THE CD!!!! These babies are flyin' out the door! Don't be left to face the daily grind without.... MODERN MUSIC FOR SWINGING SUPERHEROEs, THE CD!!!! Send a check for $6.71 (dirt cheap) made out to Cartoon Network to: Cartoon Planet CD, 1050 Techwood Drive, Atlanta GA 30318. Don't Touch Me! Highway 40! Zingor! I Love You Baby! Mashed Potatoes! AND MORE!!!!!!!!! Argggghhhhhh!!!!!! Bye bye. --IMA.Boundary.018006938 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII; NAME="RFC822 message headers" Content-ID: Content-Description: attachment; filename="RFC822 message headers" Received: from internet.turner.com by ccmail.turner.com with SMTP (IMA Internet Exchange 2.01 Enterprise) id 20AC34D0; Fri, 9 Aug 96 00:49:17 -0400 Received: from smap@localhost by internet.turner.com for via smapdV1.3 id XAA15134; Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:36:27 -0400 Received: from cayman.ucs.indiana.edu by interlock.turner.com for via SMTP (smap V1.3) id sma015130; Thu Aug 8 23:36:14 1996 Received: from falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu (smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu [129.79.10.42]) by cayman.ucs.indiana.edu (8.7.3/8.7.3/1.10IUPO) with ESMTP id WAA02371 for ; Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:36:13 -0500 (EST) Received: (from smelliot@localhost) by falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu (8.7/8.7/regexp($Revision: 1.3 $) id WAA12139; Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:36:13 -0500 (EST) Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:36:12 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy To: Cartoon.Planet@turner.com Subject: CD Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII --IMA.Boundary.018006938-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 01:19:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Travelling... I hear all you folks travelling to go to THEIR concerts, some of you, fairly lengthy distances... I was wondering...when THEY do a concert here in Texas, *IF* THEY do a concert in Texas, will some of you guys come and see it with me?! I know there aren't too many people that will be going because they like THEM as much but just because mommy & daddy gave the money to see a concert and they've HEARD of THEM.... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-229 ******************************