Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 23 Tuesday, 23 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-22 TMBG in Boston! "Tired of Sleeping" Date with which John? odd yet inspiring, huh? It's good to be back!!! Terrible Night Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-22 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-20 End of the Tour interp. Re: End of the Tour interp. Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:14:55 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-22 About the horn section... If They Might Be Giants are going to keep nearly the same setup as They have now, the horn section is a must. TMBG have always used horns in Their albums, the only reason they haven't had one live in the past is the same reason they never had live drums or bass. The horn section is an important part of so many songs...They will not get rid of it unless they get rid of the entire band thing and go back to pre-recorded tracks. So it is not like They just added horns...they have always been there. So what's the word on Tony? Still look like he is gone? Or is he just taking a break like the horn section?? Hate to lose the guy...he was incredable. -Nathan (Linnel) University of Vermont *------------------------------------------------------------------------ For reason ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction. Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing; And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes. -Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet" ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:17:21 EST Subject: TMBG in Boston! Hey all, I've been gone for a few weeks! BUT I'm back with a tale of an excellent TMBG show on Jan 20 that I just saw in Boston. They were really really terrific! They played a lot of old stuff, and a lot of B-sides from their singles... They played two songs I didn't know. One they said was new and might be on a new movie soundtrack. I forget the name, something about Sparkles, or something. I forget. And the other one was about human sacrifice. Hmm. :) The show was packed with a lot of underage teens, but that was ok. The show was still cool. The ALMOST didn't do the conga, but in the middle of the song they decided to go with it anyway. Linnel said that they're trying to figure out something new to replace the conga. Know what I noticed? Flans didn't let go of his guitar ONCE. The left-handed sunburst les paul that was once stolen (and later returned). I think that since it was stolen he decided not to let it out of his sight. Or maybe I'm neurotic. Anyway, the show was cool, the JOhns were both in good moods, ther were no horns (some of the songs just weren't the same - like Spy - but that's ok), and Tony Maimone wasn't there, but they had Graham Maby filling in. That guy is funny! -Tara ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:17:59 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: "Tired of Sleeping" Ben or Been here, continuing his offer, gladly. The next song to appear on Ben's Dial-A-Song will be "Tired of Sleeping," the Suzanne Vega song featuring John Linnell on accordian. You can check it out sometime later this week; I hope to have it running by sometime Tuesday. But until then, listen to a re-run of the Meat Puppets' "Whirlpool," plus a mystery bonus song for which I've already unleashed the mystery on an earlier post! Write this number down, next to 911, (614) 823-2583 Ben's Dial-A-Song Free when you call from a friend's house without the parents home. Oh yeah! If you call, please leave me a short message! Syntactically, Ben or Been A General Semanticist ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:03:42 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Date with which John? Here, HEre! Do either of the John have Girlfriends? The question kept lurking at my fingertips, but, being a novice to this list, I just figgured it was common knowledge that they did, or didnt', or were married, or whatever. Now that Phil has opened the question, DO THEY? WEll?... And to add to his list of questions for the band: (or to be responed to by listers with the same stars in their eyes...) --With which John would other list-members prefer to have a date?? --What sort of Date would be ideal, what would you do?--My guess is ride the scarey roller coasters at Playland in Rye, then eat hotdogs and drink one beer,then have a quiet smooch at the top of the ferris wheel, right before the kid with the push broom says get out, the park is closed. I'm not sure about driving around in a mustang, but I can't come up with anothe rautomobile choice right now. Perhaps a Nash Metropolitan--like a saddle shoe on wheels, like a child's toy--driving back to the city, with a stuffed pink poodle won at ski ball sitting by my side. Which John? I'm keeping that to myself for now. Monday morning pondering in Princeton, Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:07:40 -0500 Subject: odd yet inspiring, huh? From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) they might be giants htey might be giants hi ey mtght be giants hi ty might be giantes hi th migyt be giantes hi the migyt b giantes hi the b migyt giantes hi the bi mgyt gantes hi the big myt gantes hi the big a myt gntes hi the big an myt gtes hi the big ant my gtes hi the big ants g my te hi the big ants ge my t hi the big ants get my hi, the big ants get my? was i bored, or what? -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:11:19 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: It's good to be back!!! Well, at last the spring semester at TSC has started, and I have returned to clutter your screens with pointless points and humorless humor. Hope you all had a groovy break (those who had one (: ). Anyway, thanks to my wonderful parents, I was NOT able to go to either new year's show (Grump) and I only live an hour away from either (double Grump!!). I missed everyone! Luv, 'Nette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:06:54 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Terrible Night Organization: Meharry Medical College Hey dude, I hear you. I've been to one TMBG show only. I think it was the JH tour. Anyway, I was realy delighted to find that They had a trumpet and bone player on the show, in addition to barisax. The main reason I went to hear Them was to hear how/if they would/could pull their songs off live, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised--impressed, even! But I can only imagine that They would sound kinda lame on those horn tunes _without_ the horns! And I agree with your suggestion that it's economy at play here. J&J have to make money or they won't be able to survive. I think this explains why Tony left the group: maybe he didn't get a raise he expected, or maybe he got a decrease. Hell, it's business! Of all the band members, Tony seemed most confused and least "happy" with the way the show I went to in Nashville (TN) earlier in 1995. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"Seems that when some innocent die, Nashville TN USA | All we can offer them is a page in some magazine, hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| Too many cameras, and not enough food-- | 'Cause this is what we've seen."--The Police ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:59:07 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-22 If any of you want to find out who sings what there are a few WWW sites you can get ahold of, here's one( I think I got it right...) Http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt If it's wrong, I'm really sorry. The O2ik@ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 14:46:08 -0800 From: The Girl From Venus Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-20 >I have never had an experience quite like last night when i realized what >"The End Of The Tour" is about. It is the absolute saddest song I have >ever heard in my life. I cried for over an hour listening to it. > >It is about a horrible car crash and a man's struggle to forgive himself >for killing a car full of teenagers. It actually was not his fault >because the girls were drunk driving but ever since the incidnt he has >brutally blamed himself. He is finally finding the first bit of hope >toward recovery from the horrible wreck that he was involved in. > This interp makes sense in a way because it integrates the whole song- there aren't any lines with no explanation. But being an optimistic kind of person, I have a different interpretation. To me, it's about the craziness of life and the fact that love can restore some sanity. The girl with a crown and a scepter always brought Miss America or some other such pageant winner to mind. I think the WLSD thing refers to the radio and TV appearances people like that make while they're on tour, and the LSD part of that reflects the craziness and sense of unreality that a life like that must have. Imagine, one moment you're an ordinary 18 year old girl, and the next you're on the road, making public appearances, never spending more than a few days in any one place. It would all seem pretty glamorous at first, but now she's seeing that it's not that great after all and she wants to go home--she can see herself ant the end of the tour. The next verse is kind of a change of scene, and it doesn't tie in perfectly with the first, but there's still that theme of a crazy life. He says, "Never to part since the day we met our on Interstate 91" (By the way, does anyone know if there really is an I-91 anywhere?) Who knows how they met on a freeway--maybe thay were in an accident together(which would explain the bent metal and flaming wreck in one way) But it had a great impact on both of them(which explains it another way.) Then he says, "I was riding along with the people driving themselves to distraction inside me," which I think means he was just driving along with his frantic thoughts. The "people" are the different voices in his head, shouting conflicting and unrelated messages. "There was a knock at the door, which was odd, and the picture abruptly changed..." There was an unexpected incident, and his life was changed forever. "This was the vehicle, these were the people, you opened the door and expelled all the people...you let them go." The man himself was the vehicle for all these distractions and thoughts, and when he met this woman, she expelled the thoughts from his mind and set him free. The chorus reflects the fact that life's insanity isn't going to stop ("The engagements are booked through the end of the world.."), but in the end they'll be together. Anyways, that's my happier way of seeing it. It may not be any more or less "right" than the other, but I just thought I'd share it with you all. The Girl From Venus ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: End of the Tour interp. Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 20:23:53 -0500 (EST) > says, "Never to part since the day we met our on Interstate 91" (By the > way, does anyone know if there really is an I-91 anywhere?) Who knows how Indeed there is an Interstate 91. If you go up I-95 and you are heading towards Massachusetts, you would take I-91 toward Amherst or else you'd take I-95 towards Providence, RI. I found that out on my trip up to Amherst, my only trip to Mass. Nice interp by the way. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 22:28:32 -0500 (EST) From: Neil Subject: Re: End of the Tour interp. On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > says, "Never to part since the day we met our on Interstate 91" (By the > > way, does anyone know if there really is an I-91 anywhere?) Who knows how > Indeed there is an Interstate 91. If you go up I-95 and you are heading towards > > Massachusetts, you would take I-91 toward Amherst or else you'd take I-95 toward > s > Providence, RI. I found that out on my trip up to Amherst, my only trip to Mass I-91 goes from New Haven, Ct. to Vermont or New Hampshire. And it passes somewhat close to Lincoln Mass, I believe. P'raps they chose it for that reason? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neil Kelly neilbert@neilbert.nai.net abf8@maristb.marist.edu *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iron Law of Distribution: Them that has, gets. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-23 *****************************