Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-230 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 230 Monday, 19 August 1996 Today's Topics: tmbg-list -digest Aneurysm? Goodbye That's 'swanking' superheroes Hey Kids... Re: banner watching! Hello, Hello, it's good to be back The show last night. Fried/Dunn concert Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 The Cardigans and TMBG on my birthday!!! Linnel's Accordian TMBG in Boston My thoughts. they might be in marching band Bye bye!!! Because everything eventually goes inside albany show Re: Linnel's Accordian Flesh, yum Tradewinds on a whim. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 Telnet oops And a good time was had by all. Beware: Unrelated Things Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 23:00:52 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: tmbg-list -digest Bye for now. The Almighty Cowgod "I'm goin' down to Cowtown, the cow's a friend to me..." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 10:57:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Aneurysm? Just woke up after getting back from the 9:30 club... that show rocked. Best I've seen since 10/94, and I'm really glad they have a horn section again - they needed it. I'm glad that Eric didn't play on absolutely every song like he did at Fairfax, giving the performance a really overpowering guitar part... I guess with horns he doesn't need to cover as much. The set was pretty similar to the last couple of nights... Older Why Does the Sun Shine Ana Ng - with really strange intro and bridge. What is their fixation on the word "aneurysm?" Meet James Ensor Snail Shell Spiraling Shape Your Own Worst Enemy Subliminal Twisting James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like a Girl Spider /The Guitar Particle Man The Statue Got Me High - Linnell reversed the first and second verses - sang "MY coat contained..." first, then tried to switch them the second time around but just stopped singing and smiled.... /Whistling in the Dark Nyquil Driver XTC vs. Adam Ant Until My Head Falls off Shoehorn with Teeth (weird accordion version, even though Linnell had the baritone sax there...) Turn Around Spy (no improv) /Istanbul S-E-X-X-Y No One Knows My Plan (introduced as "aneurysm") Sleeping in the Flowers -------- They Got Lost Hi, We're the Replacements Birdhouse in Your Soul -------- Maybe I Know - some people had already left at this point because the stage was already being cleared somewhat. But John and John came back out and played it with just accordion and vocals. The audience was pretty well behaved. The security people had to pull a few people down, but no more than about 4. Biggest surprises: inclusion of Shoehorn with Teeth and Turn Around, exclusion of Don't Let's Start and SenSurround. They didn't play anything from the first album, despite repeated screams of "She's an Angel" that I'm sure they could hear - there were about 10 of us shouting it. They should have thrown Chess Piece Face in there at the end, right after Maybe I Know. It was truly an excellent show. Any other observations? ------------------------------ From: mr_klaw@juno.com Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 09:33:29 PST Subject: Goodbye Well everyone, it looks like this is it.. You won't hear from good ole Mr Klaw anymore. I'm leaving, gone for a year now. I know I'm gonna miss all of this but it can't be helped.. So if everyone will bow there head in a moment of silence.... ok thank you.. You just don't know how I'll miss all of you.. over and out. (for the last time) sloan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:21:23 -0700 (PDT) From: "Jonathan C. Dunn" Subject: That's 'swanking' superheroes and you can get info by emailing cartoon.planet@turner.com . They send you a message telling you that for $6.70 or so you can get the CD mailed to you. ------------------------------ Subject: Hey Kids... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 13:34:13 EDT Hello Hello, It's good to be back... I have to think of something to say quickly so that I have a reason to post... Anyone notice how a lot of band sort of tell a story, the way you would tell a story if you were talking, but tmbg doesn't seem to always... I'm just wrong, disregard... OAT: I have a really crappy tmbg page at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ get bored... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "If I had a hammer and I happened to be a cop then, I'd bash your f-cking head in, until you dropped" -Wally Pleasant "I Hate Cops" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:55:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: banner watching! > hoooorya!! those of you not going in the big matt james/nola posse, look > for the banner when you get there! nola and i will have it nice and big > and beautiful--a beacon to our true TMBG list friends! look for us!! > we will bear it proudly! (*thppppt* to you, matt!) hehe. > see you all there! > --franologist > Speaking of banners, I had a giant, stupid-looking banner with the Johns' heads on it that said "James K. Polk" in big red letters. It was hoisted at Toad's place last February. Then it was mailed to my friend at RIT, where it was hoisted again, and then stolen by a bunch of TMBG listening hoodlums. Does anyone know of its whereabouts? ------------------------------ Date: 18 Aug 96 13:35:55 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Hello, Hello, it's good to be back I returned from my four weeks of camp to find my mailbox stuffed with 774 messages. After a long night I finished them all. A few thoughts and observatuions. Does anyone remeber the thread about a year ago on the newsgroup about john l being dead? I found it on a disk and it is acctually quite convincing. Sorting through some magazines I found a cracked with the mario bros on the cover. Inside there was a three page brochure about COWTOWN! It is acctually funny even though it is in crcked and has nothing to do with they might be giants. When I was at camp I would constantly put on TMBG. They would always respond with comments like "What the hell is this crap?" and "Yuck, put some rap on!" However, eventually the found it catchy and were asking their parents to send them blank tapes to copy my stuff. So now they are all huge fans and some of them may even come to the list! I'm so proud of myself! Awaiting sept 6, Rob ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:53:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: The show last night. Subject: last night's (8.15.96) show at the Globe. Well, after several bad shows, I must say that my faith in They Might Be Giants has been fully restored. Of course, there were bad things (mostly the $17. tickets, the schmucks in the crowd, and the mediocrity of the Candy Butchers) but John and John's amazing set more than made up for these inconveniences. The fact that there was a balcony for those of us who didn't feel like being pushed around really helped. The new songs were all very good, "They Might Be Giants Got Lost Driving Around" actually had me laughing out loud. And the old songs were equally good, particularly the resurrection of "James K. Polk." But, what made me happiest of all was the return of the mighty horn section. Trumpet player was Jim O'Connor, but I can't remember the name of the trombone player. Can anyone help me out? And the icing on the cake was when John L. told the jocko frat boys to stop slamming, and they ACTUALLY DID. How often does that happen? Well, those are my thoughts. There are no other (rock'n'roll) bands who write better songs. -Cuper. ------------------------------ From: Joshua Fried Subject: Fried/Dunn concert Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:01:40 -0400 (EDT) Dear People-- I'm sending this notice to a handful of friends, some people who asked to be informed by e-mail, and a few select others whom I thought might be interested. If you receive more than one copy, my apologies. HERE presents THE AMERICAN LIVING ROOM 1996 The Music Lounge TRAVELOGUE by Joshua Fried performed by Sheridan Roberts plus a short impromptu from Douglas Dunn--dance and Joshua Fried--music (in anticipation of our November '96 premiere at The Kitchen). Featuring the Musical Shoes! THURSDAY, AUGUST 22, 1996 9pm HERE 145 Avenue of The Americas (one block South of Spring @ Dominick) Tickets $10 at the door only - Box office opens 6pm HERE information: 212/647-0202. Shared program with Dina Emerson and Tony Boutte -- new opera in progress. For more information on this performance or the Joshua Fried/Douglas Dunn Project, call 212/966-6999. FRIED/DUNN premiere November 7-10, 1996. Mark your calendar. ==================================================== TRAVELOGUE is scored for voice and taped accompaniment, and uses what I call headphone-driven performance: the performer tries to replicate pre- recorded voices played on headphones, with complete accuracy and absolutely NO LAG TIME. It's an impossible task that produces a bizarre unknown language and very often a dramatic, heightened performance experience for performer and audience alike. To maintain the necessary element of surprise, a person can perform TRAVELOGUE only once--this time out, the performer will be dancer/actress Sheridan Roberts. Sheridan has toured with Theater For The New City's resident company and with Mimi Gerard Dance Theater; in New York she's performed at La MaMa, Theater For The New City, Dia Art Foundation and elsewhere. Headphone-driven performance is also the cornerstone of my upcoming collaboration with choreographer Douglas Dunn, so coupling TRAVELOGUE with our "jam session" makes up a kind of teaser for the Fall--well, sort of. In our improvisation, Douglas--amazingly communicative and witty as a dancer--will move, and I will play the Musical Shoes--ordinary shoes which activate electronics when struck. For those who don't know, Dunn is a highly-regarded innovator in the dance field, and is considered in the Cunningham lineage. His company, Douglas Dunn & Dancers, was formed in the '70s and has performed all over the world. He is inspiring to work with (and funny too). We are of two different generations and genres: I am a "downtown" experimental composer (post-minimalist?) and spent the better part of the '80s in the East Village performance art/club scene. Whereas TRAVELOGUE is a solo piece, in our new work for the Fall, multiple performers will sing, move and interact based on headphone input as well as pre-set choreography, and the distinctions between actor, singer and dancer will be blurred. There will be a substantially different cast each night of our run. Our experiments so far have produced exhilarating results, and we see metaphoric links between our "instructed" headphone interactions on stage and the interplay of cultural instructions in contemporary society. For more information on this performance or the Joshua Fried/Douglas Dunn Project, call 212/966-6999 FRIED/DUNN premiere November 7-10, 1996. Mark your calendar. Thanks for reading. Joshua Fried ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:31:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 J A Y wrote: > I myself am in marching band > among other musical projects at school..and since high school it > seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in > marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? > Anybody like me out there? :) Well, I was certainly in marching band in high school (clarinet, bass clarinet). The people I know who are really into TMBG were not, however. -Sean ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 17:52:07 -0400 Subject: The Cardigans and TMBG on my birthday!!! Ohmigosh ohmigosh. I just got back from vacation in Boston and I have been reading all of my digests. The one from August 12 brought me to tears. On my birthday, September 6, TMBG is playing in Boston with the Cardigans!!! Ohmigosh. My two favorite bands in the whole world. If nobody out there has heard the Cardigans before, rush out right now and buy "Life," their first US release (they're from Sweden). They sound like no other band I have ever listened to. All of their songs make me want to dance like a lunatic around my room. I wonder if they are opening for TMBG on any other dates. That would be the best night of my entire life. Terribly depressed but hopeful, Neal ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:04:17 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Linnel's Accordian I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of accordian John Linnel plays? john ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG in Boston From: blue_eyes@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:19:07 EDT Hey there. I'm just looking for more definite info on the Boston TMBG show. I guess that Morphine and TMBG in concert for FREE is just too hard for me to believe. Anyone know for sure when the concert starts? Any other info would be much appreciated. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: My thoughts. Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:28:09 -0400 (EDT) First off, the web sites and the mailing list are back up due to a friend of mine who was able to loan me a disk. There will be some more downtime friday evening as I install the disk I ordered, but that should only be a couple of hours. I really enjoyed the 9:30 club show on Friday. It was one of the better sets I had seen from TMBG. It was also nice to finally put some faces with some login id's meeting some mailing list members. The suggestion was made to have a listing of mailing list members complete with pictures on the web site...I'm looking into that idea. Anyway, now that I've spent my weeking getting things back up and running it's time I turn my attentions to work and choosing classes for this fall. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:31:34 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: they might be in marching band well, sounds like the DC show was trick(or really good, in normal terminology). i shall forever kick myself for not going. in the head. any way some people were saying that they discovered tmbg in (marching) band. and, oddly enough, the same gos for me. i played trombone, and on a trip to Columbus i asked a fellow t-boner if she had any tapes i could listen to. she gave me Flood, and i've been hooked since. your favorite tangy grilled kabob, Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:00:01 PST Subject: Bye bye!!! From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) I'm going on vacation for a week, so the tapes will be sent out after I return. However - the first set (Jason, Sarah, Ellen, Greg, & Andreas) is in the mail now, and will be going to their new homes soon!! Love you all, and I'll contact you as soon as I return from Cape Cod, Nette :) ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:43:46 -0400 Subject: Because everything eventually goes inside For those of us who don't know, what was the Flesh Fest? In a message dated 96-08-15 03:47:40 EDT, internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) wrote: > > Anybody like me out there? :) > > Hey I like you..... Yes, we all like you. > oh, right, who IS like you. Well, same there, too. I was in 5 years of marching band > in HS (we started in 8th grade), I'm in year 4, my school didn't start the 8th grade thing till last year. I WILL BE DRUM CAPTAIN, so long as everything goes according to my plan (which no one knows). > and dazzled many a freshman with my rendition of Particle man on Clarinet & Tuba > (Me & my bro). Wow, that's pretty cool. No one else in marching band listens to TMBG regularly, though one girl owns Flood. > So I guess it may be a trend... cool..... Yeah, us band geeks think alike, I guess. Mark *--------------------------------- Penis, oh how I miss you Penis, oh how I... kiss you -The Gravity I've been wandering,looking for a girl, who has a shadow of purple hair. -The Gravity *-------------------------------- PS If anyone wants to write a little review of the 9:30 Club (or any, really) show for E-TMBG, just tell me, so I can make sure no one else is doing it already. Helpful would be: a rough set list (anything interesting), who opened, witty banter, who were you with, etc. Thanks! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:21:07 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: albany show Is anyone going to the Sept.27 show in Albany? Does anyone have more info?=20 =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 AmY (seta) amy@tmbg.org/*/anangel@tmbg.org www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 **This message means nothing more than "meow" to an animal** =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 16:26:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Linnel's Accordian Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Aug-96 Linnel's Accordian by John Drauss@oeonline.com > I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of accordian John Linnel plays? It's made by Hohner, and it's got 72 bass buttons and 34 piano keys, and it's bright red. I think it's the same one he's been playing since about 1994. (before that there were at least 3 others, as they appear in the Puppet Head, Purple Toupee, and Statue videos...) ------------------------------ Subject: Flesh, yum From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 16:36:00 EDT On Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:43:46 -0400 ZippyKelp@aol.com writes: >For those of us who don't know, what was the Flesh Fest? > Long ago in the days before the human race dominated this planet, there was but one town in the world. In this town lived a race, called the Oks, who had no spoken language and seemed to be staring at everyone, all the time. Instead of speaking, this race would use the harmonics of the accordian to communicate. Because this town was underwater the sound of their accordians would travel for miles and the whole world was in harmony. One day, however, some really mean apes came swimming along, broke all their accordians and killed all but one of the Oks. John Linnell, an imortal, is the soul survivor of the race of the Oks. To this day he continues to attempt to spread the message of harmony with his accordian (which, although it is quite good, does not have the same effect as the original). Every year, during the summer solstice, John Linnell returns to a wheat field in Oklahoma (accompanied by his band, TMBG), the site of the town of the Oks, and morns the loss of his race while thousands of nude fans of the band They Might Be Giants watch intently in what has come to be known as the Oklahoma Flesh Fest. Although it is not known exactly where this field is, thousands of fans somehow show up anyway... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "I don't need to drive past the houses of girl I used to think I loved" - Wally Pleasant "Only Everything" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:28:33 -0400 Subject: Tradewinds on a whim. I went to the Tradewinds show last night with my buddy Bruce. We decided Sunday night that we would make the two hour trek, just because we had the motive and opportunity. And, really, who on this list _really_ needs a lot of encouragement to go to a TMBG show? (Also, we're aiming for ten 1996 TMBG shows by the end of September. Only two more to go, and we've already made those plans.) The show was quite good, and they all seemed to be in a good mood. (I do miss the Mercury Lounge, though. That is the ideal place to see a band... No barriers and Linnell's mic stand dangerously close to hitting me. Oh, the memories.) They played some of new songs. (A whole string of 'em! Some of them newer than others.) They played the new super-funk version of "S-E-X-X-Y." I'm grasping to remember all that they played... Bruce and I booked it out of there, as the kids say, before the set lists were distributed. Let's see... They played "Until My Head Falls Off" ("There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 30 left. I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10?"), "Your Own Worst Enemy," "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?," "On The Drag," "XTC vs. Adam Ant," "Older," "TMBG Got Lost," and "Spiralling Shape." (As I said, some newer than others.) Anywoo. I hope all of you who are going to see them in Connecticut and Washington and elsewhere enjoy... But then how could you not? Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 18:00:18 -0600 From: Robert Lamb Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-227 Sean Geoffrey Kinlin wrote: > > J A Y wrote: > > > I myself am in marching band > > among other musical projects at school..and since high school it > > seems like every one of my friends who liked TMBG were in > > marching band, or I met while in marching band. Is this a trend?? > > Anybody like me out there? :) > > Well, I was certainly in marching band in high school (clarinet, > bass clarinet). The people I know who are really into TMBG were not, > however. > > -Sean A friend and I at my school passed several TMBG CD's around in band class. By the end of the year most people liked them. -Robbie ------------------------------ Date: 18 Aug 96 20:46:52 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Telnet It's 8:45 eastern and I'm lonely. Could someone come to telnet? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 15:19:35 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: oops sorrie bout that :) =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 AmY (seta) amy@tmbg.org/*/anangel@tmbg.org www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 **This message means nothing more than "meow" to an animal** =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:03:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: And a good time was had by all. Ok, I'm back from my 8 hour drive to Baltimore to meed Matt and Nola and everyone else who was there for the DC show! My trip was only topped my Mike and Alex's, who drove 11 hours from Toronto (sorry, Totonot) and ended up with a flat tire :( But I had a blast, and met some people, and my friend Kevin got kicked in the head. The show was excellent, and here's the kicker.... *I have pictures!!!* I will get them back from the developers tomorrow, and I think they'll turn out pretty well. I only regret to say that I think I managed to piss off John and John b/c I was up front and center and kept taking flash pictures :( Anyhow, I do not have access to a scanner at this time, so they will not be posted on the web, but I'll try to get em up. I'll let all of you know how they turn out, however, please email ME and not the list if you have any questions. I also wanted to let everyone know, if you haven't figured it out yet, TMBG fans are great people. Matt let me crash at his house, and everyone else (including but not limited to: Mike, Alex, Fran, Lara, Susan, Nola, Mary Ellen, Sarah, Leo, and Jeff) were really great. I can't wait till the next show -- anyone know when they're coming thru Ohio? Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org "Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address..." - TMBG ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@de.lucent.com Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:06:25 +0200 Subject: Beware: Unrelated Things Erm.... Danger Mouse: Danger Mouse is, as has been previously suggested, the cream cake (with jam) of cartoons, and yes it is/was British, but I'm afraid to tell you that the U.S. received a foul imitation of the real thing. In the original version Baron Greenback's henchman Stiletto was Italian (judging from previous posts I think they may also have changed his name but I don't know), and had a catchphrase "Si Baronee", which sounded a lot funnier than it looks. The U.S. version (I'm told) revamped the character so as not to offend the Italian community. Groupies: I think there must be different definitions of the term "groupie" flying around. I always thought of a groupie as someone who follows a group around trying to get to have sex with them. Much as I like TMBG I don't have too many fantasies about them...... personally I would go along with the small but level-headed "no nickname" community - if I like the Wonder Stuff it doesn't make me a Stuffhead, if I like the Smiths it doesn't make me a Smithhead, and if I like Dick Dale..... erm, never mind..... Fritz ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-230 ******************************