Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-232 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 232 Sunday, 25 August 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG rock the 930 club!! TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. TMBG on tour Hopefully a Mosherless Boston Show!!! Re: TMBG on tour Shameless groovechild promotion! Re: concert inquery FW: Shameless groovechild promotion! Re: Space Ghost . . . leaving... moshing TMBG in CMJ fest... FW: moshing Rhythm Section Want Ad re: boston 9:30 Club Concert RE: Rhythm Section Want Ad 9:30 Show Re: 9:30 Club Concert Re: moshing Tour Dates Richmond Show VA and RI really good bootleg moshing RI test...hit the delete key, please Re: moshing Re: RI Even yet still more 9:30 stuff... Not TMBG related Yes it's over now, but I can do without... Re: Telnet IMPORTANT!!! MonoPuff in St. Louis RE: Rhythm Section Want Ad RPM boot Upcoming TMBG Shows ... concert dates/lupo's World Tour! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-62 Re: really good bootleg VA shows Re: TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. Re: VA shows What to call us? SURVEY. Because I'm Bitter Me and my bullom head... I'M BA-ACK! 64 World's Fair FW: 64 World's Fair FW: 64 World's Fair Re: FW: 64 World's Fair Re: FW: 64 World's Fair + OAT test, hit the delete key...sorry Some stuff, TMBG thought snwoman Unsupervised Re: TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. The Florida Concert (none) MORE VOTES!!!! change of address Locate: Mike Rose Immortalization Ana Ng interps Ant vs. The Guitar back Re: concert dates/lupo's Digest Archive something Dial-a-Song Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: TMBG rock the 930 club!! From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 02:09:40 EDT On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:22:52 -0400 (EDT) *groovechild* writes: >Oklahoma Flesh Fest is getting more >feasible by the moment. Anybody have a Winnebago?? Now if only we can find that wheat field... >John Linnell was staring at me the whole time. Not because he's an alien, but because he's an Ok... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Deaner, who are you? I, I am the stalion..." -Ween "The Stallion Pt. II =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 02:37:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. Greetings all. I don't think this has been posted to the list yet, but I read it in the Voice last week, so... TMBG are going to be playing at the Mercury Lounge in NYC, of course, September 25th. From what I've gathered it is going to be a late show, which means that it will be 18+ or 21+, depending. I haven't called them, so I don't know the particulars, but I imagine that tickets will be going on sale (at the ML _only_, not through ticketbastard) about three weeks before the show. If you would like to get in touch with the nice folks down at the Mercury Lounge, and they are really nice folks so be polite if you call, 212-260-4700. Their address, for those who would like to pay them a visit, is 217 E. Houston. (That's the Houston, Ave. A area.) I'm really excited about this show... The ML is a great place to see bands, and this will be my 9th TMBG show for the year. (#10 will be in Albany... ) Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:03:17 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: TMBG on tour Okay, They'll be releasing Their new album on October 8th. Presumably they'll be touring and (fingers crossed) coming to the UK. My question is: If they do come to the UK, how many shows are they likely to do and where? Anyone have any ideas? I seem to remember they only did about four last time, excluding the Reading Festival. Does anyone remember, then, how long they have stayed in the UK for in the past and where they have gone? Thanks, Mark ------------------------------ Subject: Hopefully a Mosherless Boston Show!!! From: blue_eyes@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:05:32 EDT Guess what kiddies?! Oasis is playing in Worcester, MA the same night TMBG is playing in Boston!!! Now what does this mean? Hopefully it means that all the punks will go see Oasis, leaving us cool people to watch TMBG in a safe and healthy atmosphere. Let's all cross our fingers (and let's not let this revive that awfully long thread about Oasis)... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:09:07 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: Re: TMBG on tour >Presumably they'll be touring and (fingers crossed) coming to the UK. My >question is: If they do come to the UK, how many shows are they likely to >do and where? Anyone have any ideas? I seem to remember they only did about >four last time, excluding the Reading Festival. Does anyone remember, >then, how long they have stayed in the UK for in the past and where they >have gone? For the JH release They did four gigs - one at Shepherds Bush Empire, London; one at Manchester Uni; one in Glasgow I think, and I don't know where the other one was. I'm as desparate as you are that They come to the UK. It's been two long years, especially hearing all you folks across the pond blarring on about how you're hoping to see Them 1O times this year. Just once would be fine for me! Phil. *-------------------------------- PHIL MOSS, JMU Marketing Officer p.n.moss@livjm.ac.uk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 12:48:12 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Shameless groovechild promotion! OH MY GOD!!! I have really awesome non-tmbg news. But because you are my friends, I have to tell you. Please watch Cartoon Planet on Tuesday, September 3 for Nola day. My friend Jefferson, voice of the Hot Dog Men and writer/producer, let me custom make an episode. He called me today and I got to hand pick two songs, different segments, and the cartoon. The whole damn episode! Yay!!! I am so excited!! I can't believe it! I'm sorry to promote myself, but please watch it on SEPTEMBER 3, that's SEPTEMBER 3, at 6pm and 1130 pm EST. Thanks for your support!!! I just can't believe it! Oh, and he is telling me that the guy behind Zorak is NOT William Allen White, but I don't believe him. He couldn't give me his real name. Hmmm... ----Nola ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:10:15 -0600 From: Robert Lamb Subject: Re: concert inquery sgleave@btigate.com wrote: > > Does anyone know if tmbg will ever come to Bismarck, North > Dakota? Perhaps they might come to Fargo, though that's out of the way. > I'm young, and need a close concert if I'm to attend. > Aneurin Gray I know how it feels. I live in Montana and TMBG has only been here once, a long time ago. Robbie Lamb ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:27:19 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Shameless groovechild promotion! OH MY GOD!!! I have really awesome non-tmbg news. But because you are my friends, I have to tell you. Please watch Cartoon Planet on Tuesday, September 3 for Nola day. My friend Jefferson, voice of the Hot Dog Men and writer/producer, let me custom make an episode. He called me today and I got to hand pick two songs, different segments, and the cartoon. The whole damn episode! Yay!!! I am so excited!! I can't believe it! I'm sorry to promote myself, but please watch it on SEPTEMBER 3, that's SEPTEMBER 3, at 6pm and 1130 pm EST. Thanks for your support!!! I just can't believe it! Nola, don't worry about shamelessly plugging yourself.....I do it all the time. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:03:14 -0800 From: kliever@proaxis.com (spam the man) Subject: Re: Space Ghost . . . >Ok loosely related to tmbg but I'll tie it in a little - Cartoon planet >Ocasionally opens with TMBG's No one knows my plan and in the credits >they say They Might Be Giants Makes Pretty Music. > Space Ghost is the best!!!!!!!!!!!! SG: oh no, zorak, youre not gonna get my goat this time Zorak: I dont want your filthy goat Moltar: I'll take it Classic --- ------------------------------ Subject: leaving... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:18:51 EDT Hey everybody... This is to all aol people on the list... I am cancelling my aol account real soon and I have a whole bunch of time left over, so if any of you on aol would like to talk to me today or tomorrow, let me know... just give me a time... I do know about cowtown, but I will be at a Wally Pleasant show at that time... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "And when the fun is over watch themselves on video" -Blur "Stereotypes" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:32:58 -0400 (EDT) Subject: moshing Someone mentioned that there was moshing & surfing at the DC show... I remember the Johns once complaining about crowdsurfing on a talk show... but I've never seen anyone mosh or surf at their NYC shows? Can it be that other cities are more violent than ours? Even at "legendary punk palace" CBGB's; all we saw was pogoing and swaying side to side. Very interesting... I'm going to see Goldfinger w/ No Doubt tomorrow (right, like you all care) Boy, am I glad the list is back; I was going through a fierce withdrawal. Ta ta stevie. "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:16:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG in CMJ fest... I just got a new Spin magazine in the mail today. It's the one with Everclear on the cover (yuk!). Anyhoo, there's an ad on paaaage........22 (I guess, it's not numbered, I counted...the lengths I go to to spread info to you guys) for the CMJ Music Marathon and Music Fest '96. Sure enough, They are one of the 500 bands performing. Huh! Wonder why I didn't hear about this on the computer first! And for Mono Puff, there's an ad on the right hand side on page 167 of the Spin, yeah, all the way in the back, for Unsupervised with a really smalll picture of the guys. I made myself a new email sig! :) /@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!\ !@! ~~ sarah newhouse ~~ !@! !@! haras@tmbg.org kdsinthhal@aol.com !@! !@! http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html !@! !@! _ ____ ___ _ ___ _____ _ ___ _____ ___ __ _ !@! !@! "My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a !@! !@! guy." - John Linnell; They Might Be Giants !@! \@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 12:25:48 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: moshing Someone mentioned that there was moshing & surfing at the DC show... I remember the Johns once complaining about crowdsurfing on a talk show... but I've never seen anyone mosh or surf at their NYC shows? Can it be that other cities are more violent than ours? Even at "legendary punk palace" CBGB's; all we saw was pogoing and swaying side to side. Very interesting... I'm going to see Goldfinger w/ No Doubt tomorrow (right, like you all care) Goldfinger is amazing in concert. Enjoy. On the topic of moshing.....when TMBG played back in March 95 in Rochester (it's been too long, I might add) people were getting crushed up front. John Flansburgh stated it best: "Hey, if all of you in back could move back like, three feet, you'll find that although *physically* you're farther away from the stage, *spiritually* you're a whole lot closer." shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:58:03 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Rhythm Section Want Ad From what song is the bridge in "Rhythm Section Want Ad" taken? I think the Johns said that they didn't play it quite right compared to the orignal, but I can't recall the original title. Sarah Cooke "And we'd like to thank security for protecting us from each and every one of YOU!" -John Flansburgh 5/25/95 ------------------------------ Date: 20 Aug 96 15:44:33 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: re: boston --- Steven the nifty wrote: any and all people going to the boston show: is there a way we might be able to meet one another somehow? just a thought. BUT, it was a short thought. --- end of quoted material --- I think if there are enough of us going, and If the shirt existed (hint hint) and we all wore it and stood in one place for a bit, It may attract the john's Just a thought.... Rob ------------------------------ From: Bob Plass Subject: 9:30 Club Concert Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 17:16:54 PDT Well, I've never posted to this list before, but a momentous thing has happened: I was mentioned in Mike's message of 8/20 as "the guy in the bootleg T-Shirt" and my girlfriend, Lauren, was mentioned as "and his girl." Well, I had the pleasure to meet Mike and Kevin at the 9:30 club - boy, what a pair of nice guys, I mean really nice guys, friendly, great fans of THEM, they were nice to "my girl", and a little secret that some of you may already know: they look like flans and linnell! (Even Lauren agreed with me). Well, when I saw that Mike mentioned me and Lauren, it kind of hit that "Hey, I have something in common with that really nice guy" place in my heart, and I had to break my list silence and say something, more along the lines of, "Hello." My name is Bob, and yes, I own a cool bootleg TMBG T-Shirt that I bought right after seeing THEM at Irving Plaza (in NYC) on Halloween 1994, from this weird hippie couple (who probably read this list). They were standing outside on Irving Plaza (which is a NYC street, too) and had the shirts in a black backpack and it only costed $10. There was a little damage on the front and they spelled "Buffalo, NY" wrong. (Buffallo on the shirt). But, its a cool shirt anyway, and since I've never seen it at any concerts except on me, I do get a lot of comments from TMBG fans. Anyway, Hello to Mike and Kevin (from Lauren, too) and everyone else in Cowtown and more substantive comments on the awesome 9:30 Club concert soon (I don't like making messages too long). Okay, Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Now I see why you like THEM so much, Rob - they're such a great band! God, that was the best concert!" - - - Lauren, who just popped her TMBG concert cherry on Friday at the 9:30 Club! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 23:09:53 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: RE: Rhythm Section Want Ad Sarah; you wrote: From what song is the bridge in "Rhythm Section Want Ad" taken? I think the Johns said that they didn't play it quite right compared to the orignal, but I can't recall the original title. Sarah Cooke The bridge is "Powerhouse" by Carl Stalling. He's the musical genius who prodused the music for the great Warner Bros. cartoons from 1930's to 1950's. It was also used by Rush in thier "Hemispheres" album on an instrumental song called called "La Villa Strangiato". Hope this is helpful! Alan Cook ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:07:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: 9:30 Show Well, hearing about the 9:30 Club show was interesting, but alas, I did not go ($20 for the 9:30 club is a tad steep for my budget right now). But instead I got up in the morning and went to work, which was quite interesting, considering a co-worker or two flirted with me (FYI, membersd of the opposite sex even noticing me is a rare occurence). I then proceeded to come home from work, eat a lunch of rice and beans. I called up some local BBSs for a while and got into a debate about Christianity and how it realtes to Rice and Beans. I then ate a dinner of Hamburgers with My sister margot and her boyfriend Paul. Paul and I drove 2 minutes down to Blockbuster and look for movies. We wanted to get "Rumble in the Bronx", but we figured Margot didn't want to see it, so we rented '12 Monkeys' and "Ghost in the Shell". We drove 2 minutes back home, on the way listeing to the Bruce Lee's Band's cover of "She's and Angel" (xcellent cover BTW). We watched 12 Monkeys, and then I watched Ghost in the Shell alone. This proceeded to put me in one strange mood for the rest of weekend. Thank YOu. \\\// (o-o) .-------oOO-(_)-OOo--------. | It's getting up time for | | The giant elephant shrew | `--------------------------' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:00:04 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: 9:30 Club Concert On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Bob Plass wrote: > > Well, I've never posted to this list before, but a momentous thing has happened: I was mentioned in Mike's message of 8/20 as "the guy in the bootleg T-Shirt" and my girlfriend, Lauren, was mentioned as "and his girl." Well, I had the pleasure to meet Mike and Kevin at the 9:30 club - boy, what a pair of nice guys, I mean really nice guys, friendly, great fans of THEM, they were nice to "my girl", and a little secret that some of you may already know: they look like flans and linnell! (Even Lauren agreed with me). Gee, how do I tell such a nice guy that my friend's name was Alex? I guess I won't...d'oh! Hi to Bob, and to Lauren, I forgot your name, sorry...you guys were really nice and proved to me that I can go anywhere in the world to see TMBG and if I start talking to someone in the crowd, I'm gonna like them. It was cool to see you post here, I was hoping you would. I told you you'd find out who I was from a list post! I remember, you even said goodbye to me after the show, and that was so cool, you're a couple of fine people. I was in a strange city (and I do mean strange) and it was crowded and some of my pals had migrated to some other parts of the room, and I was concerned about the flat tire outside, and concerned about getting Matt and Nola involved in that, so when I found these nice people in the crowd to talk to, I was pretty happy about it. It gives me that warm TMBG feeling. So, thanks. I also wanted to mention more about Amy, who drove in from Ohio. She was great, and I really enjoyed seeing her. She even gave me a Dr. Pepper...apparently the car was also full of beer...I also helped her put the TMBG bumper sticker on her car!!!....anyway, she was really nice and it was cooler that she was there. I hope I get to see those concert pics she took! Well, that's it. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: moshing Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 17:23:00 -0700 I saw Goldfinger & No Doubt here in SoCal a few months back, and you are correct, they really are amazing. They have a lot of energy and they really enjoy themselves. Here in California they were joined by the legendary Dave Wakeling as they did 'mirror in the bathroom'. > I'm going to see Goldfinger w/ No Doubt tomorrow (right, like you all care) > > Goldfinger is amazing in concert. Enjoy. > > On the topic of moshing.....when TMBG played back in March 95 in > Rochester (it's been too long, I might add) people were getting > crushed up front. John Flansburgh stated it best: > > "Hey, if all of you in back could move back like, three feet, you'll > find that although *physically* you're farther away from the stage, > *spiritually* you're a whole lot closer." > > shep > www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Tour Dates Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:42:57 -0400 (EDT) New tour dates on the web page (http://www.tmbg.com/), get 'em while they are hot! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:45:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Bergeron Subject: Richmond Show Anyone else going? I'll be there. Would like to meet some folks. Must have banner or some other identifying mark, as I'm not one to talk to folks outside my close circle of friends. Will post physical description closer to show. 1 hour 15 minutes till my b'day. I've got to work. Shit. I'll stop for a cappunchino afterwards at my local i-net cafe. BlueDawg, who is posting via a slow telnet app because his sendmail is still fucked after his HD crashed Sunday night. S.M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ finger me, please! root@idiotnot.visi.net ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: VA and RI Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:30:06 -0400 (EDT) Well, unless hell freezes over and I don't get a car by Sept 28, I will be going to the Brown University, Providence, RI show. Does anyone here goto Brown? Is it going to be a student only thing or how does one purchase tix for this RI gig? This'll be what I think will be an 8 hour drive so I hope it's worth it!! Also, since Richmond is so close and it's looking like the 30th show just might be there I will try and attend that. The good thing is I work right outside of DC so it will be only a 1 hour drive (maybe 1 1/2) so that will rock! I hope TMBG shows #16 and 17 will be good! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: really good bootleg Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:33:09 -0400 (EDT) Anyone who can hear the April 14, 1992 RPM Toronto boot go and listen to it, it is a great boot, great quality, funny and has such crowd pleasers as Maybe I Know, Narrow Your Eyes, Boat of Car, Space Suit, Kiss Me Son of God, Purple Toupee, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes, and Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, maybe my favorite concert boot yet! Also this 1994 King Missile album is good! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: moshing Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:35:13 -0400 (EDT) > > Someone mentioned that there was moshing & surfing at the DC show... I > remember the Johns once complaining about crowdsurfing on a talk show... but > I've never seen anyone mosh or surf at their NYC shows? Can it be that > other cities are more violent than ours? Even at "legendary punk palace" > CBGB's; all we saw was pogoing and swaying side to side. Very interesting... Yeah, but it's the murder capital of the world remember? -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: RI Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:38:28 -0400 (EDT) > > --- Steven the nifty wrote: > any and all people going to the boston show: is there a way we might be > able to meet one another somehow? just a thought. BUT, it was a short > thought. > --- end of quoted material --- > I think if there are enough of us going, and If the shirt existed (hint hint) > and we all wore it and stood in one place for a bit, It may attract the john's > > Just a thought.... You should go to the Brown Uni show in Rhode Island, in fact all going to NYC, Conn, and Boston shows should go to the RI shows as well as it is only the state next door and we know how small these states are. Anyone know if I-95 runs through Providence? Or how far Providence is from NYC? Any information would be helpful. Is anyone living in RI going to these shows? Does anyone live in RI? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:55:36 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: test...hit the delete key, please test test test ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:58:31 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: moshing On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > > Someone mentioned that there was moshing & surfing at the DC show... I > > remember the Johns once complaining about crowdsurfing on a talk show... but > > I've never seen anyone mosh or surf at their NYC shows? Can it be that > > other cities are more violent than ours? Even at "legendary punk palace" > > CBGB's; all we saw was pogoing and swaying side to side. Very interesting... > Yeah, but it's the murder capital of the world remember? Funny thing..two of the places I'm considering going to college, New Orleans and D.C., have very high murder rates...Do you think I've got a death wish?? BlueDawg....didja ever make those beans?> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:44 GMT Subject: Re: RI From: jblum127@nyc.pipeline.com (Jason Blumenkrantz) On Aug 20, 1996 23:38:28, 'Matthew James ' wrote: >You should go to the Brown Uni show in Rhode Island, in fact all going >to NYC, Conn, and Boston shows should go to the RI shows as well as it >is only the state next door and we know how small these states are. >Anyone know if I-95 runs through Providence? Or how far Providence is >from NYC? Any information would be helpful. Is anyone living in RI >going to these shows? Does anyone live in RI? >Matt > Greetings to all, as this is my first post to this list. COnfession: I've been lurking myself for a week. But its been fun. As a crazed TMBG fan who will be going to attend Brown next week (just imagine how psyched I am to have TMBG coming!), I can say (1) Providence is about a four hour drive from NYC (2) I-95 will take you five minutes from Brown and (3)There are some people who live in R.I., just not many. I don't know yet if it's a student-only thing or not, but I'll post as soon as I find out. -J ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:02:47 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Even yet still more 9:30 stuff... Hi kids. Well, what can I say about the whole 9:30 experience that hasn't already been said? The show itself was super excellent!! It made was a total thrill that they finally brought back the horn section, and that they played a couple of songs that I haven't heard before (Your Own Worst Enemy and Until My Head Falls Off). I liked that the Spy inprov was replaced with an extended trumpet solo, which went right into Istanbul...I thought it was clever. I finally saw Flans do that thing with his guitar again...where he jams the strings up against the corner of the speaker and runs it up and down, producing an incredibly loud screaching noise. It's been about 4 years since I've seen him do that. The show was also slightly longer than their previous sets, running nearly 100 minutes. I bought the drunk bird shirt, and will never put it on for fear of damaging it. That brings my total of TMBG shirts to 4! But what made the whole weekend worthwhile, was getting to know some of the coolest people I have ever met! Matt, Nola, Sarah (happy birthday!!), Amy, Kevin (I hope your head is better)...you guys are the greatest...I love you all! A special hello to Bob and Lauren, the couple Mike and I met at the concert, and talked to for a short time. You kids were terrific...which is why I'm not mad about the fact that you called me Kevin! And a special thanks goes out to Mr. Peter Weller, who said that apart from the conversation he was already having, Matt, Nola, Mike and I "...made his day." That's so cool...Peter Weller is so cool! Anyway, that's about it. I had an amazing time and can't wait to see all you guys again, and hopefully at the next TMBG show, I will have a chance to meet yet more listers, for it has been proven to me over and over again, that TMBG fans are the greatest people on the face of the earth! I will remember this trip until my head falls off... Your best friend, Alex ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:45:51 -0400 Subject: Not TMBG related This is actually Beatle-related, nothing to do with TMBG but I had to tell somebody: Anyone else notice how the songs played immediately after Conan O'Brien's monologue are all Beatle songs recently? I hope it's a continuing trend (just in case Max Weinberg is out there somewhere). Mark ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:48:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: Yes it's over now, but I can do without... Sorry, but Alice in Chains had to be fitted in somewhere. Anyways, I'm going away for a short while. I leave you all with this factoid: On VH1 arcives (the one with John and Yoko), there is a black and white segment where Sting sings Why Does The Sun Shine? . As for the label, let us face it, we, the Giants fans, are so diverse and divided in so much that an appropriate label is nearly impossible. I can only suggest "The Appritiaters of Fine Music from Brooklyn." BTW: Did anyone ever notice that the song in the credits of Cartoon planet is End of the Tour (instramental)? I'll be Bach (Bubsy), Brother John Blackhawk :> "What is TMBG's favorite cartoon?" "Istam'Bill' (Not Constantin'Opus)" See you soon... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:56:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Telnet On 18 Aug 1996, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > It's 8:45 eastern and I'm lonely. Could someone come to telnet? > Don't post these...It's a waste of bandwith...I know that if I have another 20 messages left I'm not going to read them, figure out if that's my time here and then go...besides...most people don't read there mail every 5 minutes... TMBG related: I heard the song "Novacaine for your soul" by the Eels (I think) on the radio and is it just me or does the beginning sound kinda like THEM...and hmm Novacaine for your (Birdhouse in your) soul.... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:02:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: IMPORTANT!!! It is very important that I know when the concert is in TEXAS!!! I MUST GO!!! I have been near diehard for almost 7 years and I have NEVER EVER been to a show! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:35:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Capstick Jennifer M Subject: MonoPuff in St. Louis Last time i read the Riverfront Times, the August 31 show at Mississippi Nights was still on. $5 at the door, i think doors open at 8:00. i'm really wanting to go, although i don't know if i'll be able to make it or not due to a required deally in springfield MO that lasts until 5:00 the same night...*sighs* If i hurry though i just might make it...if i do, maybe i'll see some of ya'll there...=] Jennifer VoodooGal@tmbg.org jmc615s@nic.smsu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 02:41:50 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: RE: Rhythm Section Want Ad At 11:09 PM 8/20/96 UT, you wrote: >Sarah; > >you wrote: >>From what song is the bridge in "Rhythm Section Want Ad" taken? >Sarah Cooke > >The bridge is "Powerhouse" by Carl Stalling. He's the musical genius who >prodused the music for the great Warner Bros. cartoons from 1930's to 1950's. >It was also used by Rush in thier "Hemispheres" album on an instrumental song >called called "La Villa Strangiato". > And for all of you interested in Soul Coughing, they sample it on the song "Bus to Beelzebub", which is a foine song, indeed. Jason Nummer Drei /////////////////////GOOD MUSIC CHEAP\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ##_####_## from | | ## /@ /@ # ___________ | | # ,___\___, < Lookit Meee! ) | | # \+++++/ Records | | ----~| |~---- | | All LP length cassettes!! $5 plus shipping | | write to Jason Nesmith 1226 Stoneybrook Dr. SE | | Atlanta, GA 30316 --or-- | | email jnesmith@mindspring.com for details | visit the Orange Hat cyberhose page!! www.mindspring.com/~jnesmith ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 02:58:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: RPM boot Yeah, Matt's right, the RPM boot is a great one. I was at that show and it rocked, though I experienced severe hearing loss for a week after. It was the last show they ever played in Totonot with the backing tapes, and the first show I ever saw of theirs. There were some hysterical screw ups in that show, as well as some priceless chatter from John and John. That was a great show, it was the show where I met Flans after and got his autograph...and it was the show where I signed up to the mailing list and in fact for 2 years following that I did receive stuff from them but then for some reason in 1994 it just stopped coming and that was that...oh yeah, I've mentioned that before. :) The RPM club no longer exists and actually I liked seeing them more in Totonot's Danforth Music Hall where you get to sit down ( which is kind of weird, but which guarantees good seats if you are early, and no moshing or passing the dude) but of course we all ended up standing partway thru. The 11/94 Danforth show in Totonot was totally rocking, I wish I had a boot of that. Frnk Blck and Frente opened for them. Dang it was a good show. And since 1992 they have played 3 times in Totonot, and I saw 2 out of those three. In the past six months I have seen them three times: Rochester, Pennsylvania, and DC. I wish I could see them more often, like some of you can, but I should feel lucky for a Canadian to have seen them this year 3 times already. But seeing a show just makes me want to see another one. Oh well. They will be back here soon and I can hardly wait. Also, a new album means TV appearances, so keep an eye out for anything interesting in the TV guide. We can expect to see them on Letterman, Leno and Conan, but sometimes they pop up on the morning shows so check those listings too. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:38:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeffrey B Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Upcoming TMBG Shows ... Off the web site I got info that TMBG is playing Sept 22 in richmond, and possibly sept 30 in virginia(?) .. And the talk I've seen on this list so far isn't very conclusive as to when/where .. So I was curious if 1) these dates could be confirmed, 2) locations given, and 3) when I could buy tickets (through protix? they sell tickets at teh door?) Thanks .. really enjoyed meeting other listies at the 9:30 club. I was a bit disappointed inthe show, but that might've been cuz of the hassle I had getting there :) I can say that the set they played was great though .. Hope to see another TMBG show soon, and possibly meet more listies? Hmm .. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:42:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Shoestraps and Eyelashes Subject: concert dates/lupo's Can someone clarify something for me...originally there was a concert date for Lupo's in Providence RI..the concert list at www.tmbg.com now says after the hatshell in Boston, They will be in Benson Auditorium, Harding Univ, Searcy AR on september 7th instead of the original Providence date-- have They canceled this performance? That would suck, since I may be psyically unable to get to the hatshell and will be away traveling for the Brown University performance in Providence on the 28th... :( thanks for your help.. J A Y ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:10:27 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: World Tour! Ooooooo, yes, ye,s yes. I've just read on the web site that They will be doing a WORLD TOUR following the new album's release. Please, please, please can someone tell me which countries They'll be visiting, especially if it is to be England/UK. If no one knows yet, when might you find out? Sorry to be such a bore, but this is soooo important to me! Cheers, phil. --------------------- PHIL MOSS JMU Marketing Officer p.n.moss@livjm.ac.uk ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 10:21:09 From: Steve Kiehl <3SWKIEHL@sclct.com> Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-62 'Form: Announcement 'Announcement: The people who read the tmbg digest in this office are now off to college, so could you take our address off the mailing list? Thank you. 3swkiehl @ clark.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:53:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: really good bootleg On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Anyone who can hear the April 14, 1992 RPM Toronto boot go and listen to > it, it is a great boot, great quality, funny and has such crowd pleasers There's an RPM boot!? Aaarrrggghhhh!!!! (I had just missed that gig, couldn't get tickets... :( -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:32:27 -0400 Subject: VA shows I'm planning on attending the Richmond show (Sep 22) and any other VA shows they play. If anyone has any information on these dates (ticket prices, locations and phone numbers of venues), itw would be of great benefit to me and the other list people who will be there. Greg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:30:19 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re: TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. At 02:37 AM 8/20/96 -0400, you wrote: >Greetings all. Hi ya! I'm going to be in NY that week! I have other plans that night, but I may be able to do both if the Mercury show is late enough. If I can swing it, I'd like to meet any other list members going to this show. Maybe we could take a couple of tips from the DC crowd. > >TMBG are going to be playing at the Mercury Lounge in NYC, of course, >September 25th. From what I've gathered it is going to be a late show, which >means that it will be 18+ or 21+, depending. I haven't called them, so I >don't know the particulars, but I imagine that tickets will be going on sale >(at the ML _only_, not through ticketbastard) about three weeks before the >show. > >If you would like to get in touch with the nice folks down at the Mercury >Lounge, and they are really nice folks so be polite if you call, >212-260-4700. Their address, for those who would like to pay them a visit, >is 217 E. Houston. (That's the Houston, Ave. A area.) > >I'm really excited about this show... The ML is a great place to see bands, >and this will be my 9th TMBG show for the year. (#10 will be in Albany... ) > >Love, >Brooks. > > /////////////////////GOOD MUSIC CHEAP\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ##_####_## from | | ## /@ /@ # ___________ | | # ,___\___, < Lookit Meee! ) | | # \+++++/ Records | | ----~| |~---- | | All LP length cassettes!! $5 plus shipping | | write to Jason Nesmith 1226 Stoneybrook Dr. SE | | Atlanta, GA 30316 --or-- | | email jnesmith@mindspring.com for details | visit the Orange Hat cyberhose page!! www.mindspring.com/~jnesmith ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 23:24:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Bergeron Subject: Re: VA shows On Wed, 21 Aug 1996 gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu wrote: > I'm planning on attending the Richmond show (Sep 22) and any > other VA shows they play. If anyone has any information on these > dates (ticket prices, locations and phone numbers of venues), itw > would be of great benefit to me and the other list people who > will be there. I talked to TicketBastard today, and they knew absolutely nothing about it...I'll keep looking. BlueDawg ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: What to call us? SURVEY. Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:12:50 -0500 I'm taking a survey to see what we should call ourselves... I like the prostetic foreheads (spelled wrong). So, if you care to take part, e-mail your vote on the subject line to wglodell@baraboo.com i'll post the results in about 5 days. Wyatt, who goes back to school tomorrow, WHAT A WASTE OF LIFE! ------------------------------ Subject: Because I'm Bitter From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:12:51 EDT Well, it seems as though They consistently refuse to come and play in Michigan, so I'm going to post a review of a different sort... Last night I went to a supercool Wally Pleasant show... Here is the set list as if I could remember it... The Day Ted Nugent Killed All the Animals Ty Cobb Let's Play Life (A New Spoken Word Song that will have really neat background music on the album, or so he claims) (At this point he ran out of material that is going to show up on his new album and the show went on with mostly requests... He also started passing around a piece of paper on which audience members were to write a song, because I yelled out "Bread" as he said "This song is about..." the song started out about bread and progressed into breakfast foods of all kinds...) Small Time Drug Dealer How I got Lost on the Road Less Travelled and Got Instant Karma on I-96 La Bamba (by my request (: ) Alternateen Denny's at 4 a.m. (Intermission) Cool Guy with a Car Stupid Day Job (at the end when he sing likes another artist suggested by the audience I yelled out Trent Reznor and he sang "I'm working like an animal") (the song the audience wrote which included the line "I am the chicken lord" and included plenty of audience participation along the lines of us yelling out "Bread", "Eggs", "Bagels", and "Breakfast" after Wally did) the rest is a jumble, but I will try Rocky Racoon In The Jungle (I got him to sing in the spaceship as one of the verses, that's my tmbg content) I Was a Teenaged Republican (probably some more songs were after this) (and the last one) Lost Weekend, Las Vegas Overall this was one of the best Wally Pleasant shows I've been to yet, so if you're ever in East Lansing, Michigan on a Wednesday at 8 o'clock come to the Cuppa Java on Hagadorn... plug plug... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Sad Sad Sad Sad, Why must I be sad?" Because TMBG won't come to Michigan!!! =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:21:34 -0400 Subject: Me and my bullom head... Okay, earlier, I posted a message about TMBG in a CMJ music fest. Well, I looked at it again, and it said those were the bands that have *previously* participated. No wonder we didn't hear about this. Sorry! I must have been wearing my prosthetic eyes the first time I read it. -sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 13:40 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: I'M BA-ACK! "Hello, hello, it's good to be back it's good to be back..." Yes, I am back. And it is good. Montana was cool, but turning around and yelling at my little brothers "Shut up and enjoy the natural splendor or I'm gonna break your legs!" for the umpty-ump time wasn't. As we drove across the endless, somewhat surreal exspanse that is North Dakota, I was listening to "Lincoln." And as I was listening to "Ana Ng" and writing postcards, I came up with my own little interpretation. I see Ana Ng as being someone's pen pal, maybe. This person is talking about how he's got this pen pal on the other side of the world who he's known for a really long time and who he'd like to meet. He sometimes looks around at his life and wishes he could just take off and go visit her ("They don't need me here and I know you're there"), but he and Ana just keep getting older and growing, and they *still* haven't ever met, hence the chorus: "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence." Of course, I haven't worked out where the '64 Worlds Fair fits in, but... Oh yeah, also, does anyone else think of the Tick when it goes "What's that blue thing doing here?" in "Fingertips"? Forgive my ramblings, but god it's so good to be back in civilization. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 64 World's Fair Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:21:09 -0400 (EDT) Well you see in Ana Ng the narrator and Ana were freaks in the 64 Worlds Fair, but they were dressed up in their freak costumes and so did not recognize each other so you see, they only had 1 chance to meet and they blew it! Jeez those bums. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:28:29 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: 64 World's Fair Well you see in Ana Ng the narrator and Ana were freaks in the 64 Worlds Fair, but they were dressed up in their freak costumes and so did not recognize each other so you see, they only had 1 chance to meet and they blew it! Jeez those bums. Matt Make a hole with a gun perpendicular to the name of this town in a desktop globe.....exit wound in a foreign nation, showing the home of the one this was written for.... Okay, imagine shooting into a globe, and if you did, you'd be shooting perpendicular to the globe itself. And obviously, it's going to come out in a foreign nation, if you shot into somewhere in the U.S. Showing the home, though, I don't know which nation it would be. Someone reseach that. My apartment lives upside down from there, water spirals the wrong way out the sink, and her voice is a backwards record, just like a whirlpool and it never ends..... Is it possible that his apartment is located where you'd shoot the gun? Theoretically, it'd have to be above the equator, because below the Equator, water would spiral the opposite way out of the sink, so my guess is the gun is shooting through where NY(?) is, leaving the bullet hole below the Equator on the opposite side.... All alone at the 64 world's fair, 80 dolls yelling "small girl after all" Who was at the DuPont pavilion? Why was the bench still warm? Who had been there? Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.... Listen, Ana, hear my words...they're the ones you would think I would say if there was a me for you.... Folks, he was stood up. That's obvious. Anyone care to continue this? shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: FW: 64 World's Fair Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:51:37 -0400 (EDT) > > Well you see in Ana Ng the narrator and Ana were freaks in the 64 > Worlds Fair, but they were dressed up in their freak costumes and > so did not recognize each other so you see, they only had 1 chance > to meet and they blew it! Jeez those bums. > Matt > > > Make a hole with a gun perpendicular to the name of this town in a > desktop globe.....exit wound in a foreign nation, showing the home of > the one this was written for.... > > Okay, imagine shooting into a globe, and if you did, you'd be shooting > perpendicular to the globe itself. And obviously, it's going to come > out in a foreign nation, if you shot into somewhere in the U.S. > > Showing the home, though, I don't know which nation it would be. > Someone reseach that. Oh boy this is an age old discussion on this list, generally they thinkthat Ana is in Vietnam and that the other person is in Peru ( being the exact opposite side). But then it was mentioned that Ng was a Chinese name so he could not be in Peru (I think). But this has been discussed to death ;) > > > My apartment lives upside down from there, water spirals the wrong way > out the sink, and her voice is a backwards record, just like a > whirlpool and it never ends..... > > Is it possible that his apartment is located where you'd shoot the gun? > Theoretically, it'd have to be above the equator, because below the > Equator, water would spiral the opposite way out of the sink, so my > guess is the gun is shooting through where NY(?) is, leaving the > bullet hole below the Equator on the opposite side.... > The coriolis (everyone remember that word?) effect was discussed to death as well (basically that water spirals differently in the Northern and Southern hemisphers. The only problem is that it has been proven that this effect is not strong enough to really affect much. i.e. The water in your toilet would most likely spiral the opposite way because of the way the toilet is made or because of the physical shape of the tube that sends the water down your toilet. I even saw a webpage where a scientist/professor dispelled the myth of the toilet coriolis effect, although I can't remmeber where it was. Now what this has to do with anything has gotten beyond me now, so I'm gonna go ;) bye, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FW: 64 World's Fair Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:18:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >The coriolis (everyone remember that word?) effect was discussed to >death as well (basically that water spirals differently in the >Northern and Southern hemisphers. The only problem is that it has >been proven that this effect is not strong enough to really affect much. This is not nearly as relevant as: (1) What the author of the song (Linnell) thinks/believes about the Coriolis Effect; (2) What the narrator of the song thinks/believes about the Coriolis Effect. Whether it does or not (Matt is correct in that it exists, but not very noticably with small bodies of water) doesn't really factor in. >I even saw a webpage where a scientist/professor dispelled the myth >of the toilet coriolis effect, although I can't remmeber where it was. http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadScience.html Look under the section "Bad Meterology". ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FW: 64 World's Fair + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:45:12 EDT On Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:28:29 PDT Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) writes: >Make a hole with a gun perpendicular to the name of this town in a > desktop globe.....exit wound in a foreign nation, showing the home of > the one this was written for.... > >Okay, imagine shooting into a globe, and if you did, you'd be shooting > perpendicular to the globe itself. And obviously, it's going to come > out in a foreign nation, if you shot into somewhere in the U.S. "Here we go again!" - The Simpsons OAT: The songs I forgot from my review earlier were "Hard Core Man"(1st half), "It's A Beautiful Day"(2nd), and one more that I can't remember... argh... oh well... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "If I were a carpenter and you were a lady..." =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:42:00 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: test, hit the delete key...sorry test test test ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 02:33:02 -0400 Subject: Some stuff, TMBG thought Hello 41- Well, I'm back from my trip from Chicago, Minnesota, Chicago, and Atlanta. Big fun. TMBG stuf first, so the rest of you can delete it after- I was at Let it Be Records in Minneapolis, and they had a promo poster of the famous snowman and the burning money with whatever songs. They wouldn't sell it to me. Two Trumpets (and a microphone ) When I saw Flansburg do Lie Still live, he made that noise with his hands, and did it very well. Guitar similarities- I don't play music. When I do, it doesn't sound like music. I can't help but notice the similarity in the guitar part in Ant and The Guitar. Am I right? No. I saw a certain TMBG list person's brother at a certain convention, and certainley pissed him off. Nit ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: snwoman Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:10:57 -0400 (EDT) > > TMBG stuf first, so the rest of you can delete it after- I was at Let it Be > Records in Minneapolis, and they had a promo poster of the famous snowman and > the burning money with whatever songs. They wouldn't sell it to me. I have a similar poster that I got recently with the Snowman and burning money found on the DLS single. It doesn't have the songs, though, it has German tour dates on it. It's pretty neato. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:26:28 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: Unsupervised Hey all. I wanted to tell you all how excited I am. I was shopping in Bathurst, which is a country town 3 hours out of Sydney, and I found a new copy of Mono Puff "Unsupervised" for A$10!! That's about US$7!! Anyway, tomorrow I am going to teach my rock band to play Out Of Jail. We have just perfected Mickey, Video Killed The Radio Star, Luka and What I Like About You. Bye, Peter. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:56:07 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: TMBG @ The Mercury Lounge, yet again. has anybody got information about the concert in arkansas? i think it's at harding university, or somethin' like that. if you can help me please post it. thamx, john ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:04:48 -0400 Subject: The Florida Concert Hello 41- Allright, my act is together, my tickets are ordered for the Gainsvile show. Here is the deal. Info/Directions: If you live in Florida and need directions or info about the show, feel free to email me and not the list. I can attempt to supply you with it or tell you who to talk to. Meeting: I have had this problem before (Isn't that right Vix?) so this time, I will have three plans. The first is that I will have a red helium baloon. We will meet under the red helium baloon I will hope to be carrying. If that doesn't work, then I will have the Ukranian flag with me. For those that don't know, it's blue on top, and yellow underneath. If that doesn't work look for the guy in light blue Converse signed by Tony Maiome. If you have any questions, querries, comments, stuff like that email me. Nit ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 03:27:51 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Well, I'm officially calling this my last online session from my home e-address...I'll be tearing down the puter in a few. So please try to remember to write me at my new address...unless you want to talk to my parents at the old one. Later, all. andy PUCKett now at pucketaw@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: MORE VOTES!!!! Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 08:00:16 -0500 I Need more votes for the survey of what to call a they might be giants fan, so far the results are 2: Prosthetic foreheads 1: Rabid Chilren 3: Killer Karate Kangaroos ???? Send Votes to WGLODEll@BARABOO.COM, I NEED VOTES!!!! I Stopped getting digests, so i subscribed to the list again... _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 09:47:25 -0500 (CDT) From: pucketaw@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Andy Puckett) Subject: change of address Well, this is my first official online session from my school address. So please try to remember to write me at my new address...unless you want to talk to my parents at the old one. Later, all. andy PUCKett now at pucketaw@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Locate: Mike Rose Date: Sat, 24 Aug 96 10:58:28 18000 Ack! I need to find Mike Rose...... I tried sending him an email, but the address was wrong I guess... Mike, if you're out there, respond! I have some questions i have to ask you for externship. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 13:11:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Bergeron Subject: Immortalization Well, the world's address has been immortalized on a brick in my local internet cafe. In a fit of caffiene-induced craziness, I forked over the buck and wrote: "The World's Address. tmbg-list-info@tmbg.org, http://www.tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org--bluedawg@tmbg.org" S.M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 14:34:54 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Ana Ng interps Please, please, please don't start it again! I can't stand another month-long thread about where Ana lives and where the narrator lives and, "Hey, if its Linnell then you have to shoot thru NYC right?" I just can't take it again! If you want to know where he is and where Ana is read the FAQ. I don't have the URL but I'm sure its a link at www.tmbg.org . I beseech thee, go there. he's gone, Brother JohnBejezus (who finally found a way to work "beseech" into a sentence) ps- yes the water does go the oppisite way down there "Mumbling weighs upon my mind, the talk of creatures in my spine" - The Residents ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 14:35:07 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Ant vs. The Guitar >Guitar similarities- I don't play music. When I do, it doesn't sound like >music. I can't help but notice the similarity in the guitar part in Ant and >The Guitar. Am I right? No. Yeah I noticed that too. Brother JohnBejezus (who hates it when people post several times and hates it even more when they post just to agree but gosh-dernit is going to send this to the list anyway) "Mumbling weighs upon my mind, the talk of creatures in my spine" - The Residents ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: back Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:57:50 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, Well I made it back to MD from Virginia, it's strange seeing the Welcome to Maryland sign say 'Benvenito' (or however you say it in Italian), do they think we speak Italian in the US? I also had a nice race with a Quebec driver doing 80 up the highway and almost got sideswiped by a damn Pennsylvania driver (they just can't drive there). ;) But I'm back and now I wish to plea for information on this Brown University, Providence RI show once again. Is anyone in that area going to the show, is there information on ticket price and availability as well if it is open to the public to buy tix or just Brown students and when do they go on sale if they have not already? Please email me back if you know anything about this. Thank ya much. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: concert dates/lupo's Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:03:53 -0400 (EDT) > Can someone clarify something for me...originally there was a concert date > for Lupo's in Providence RI..the concert list at www.tmbg.com > now says after the hatshell in Boston, They will be in Benson Auditorium, Harding Univ, Searcy AR on september 7th > instead of the original Providence date-- have They canceled this performance? > That would suck, since I may be psyically unable to get to the hatshell > and will be away traveling for the Brown University performance in Providence > on the 28th... :( > thanks for your help.. I didn't get a reason but yes, the Lupo's show is out and the Harding show is in. I double checked on that one myself. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Digest Archive Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 23:07:42 -0400 (EDT) I just noticed today that the digest archive had stopped updating the web site back in April. Come on guys, you have to tell me about these thing so I can fix them! Anyway, the digest archive is now up to date and I hope to have the script fixed so it will be updated daily again. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: something From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 00:59:03 EDT Well, list traffic has been rather low lately so I figured anything is better than nothing... That Wally Pleasant review I posted a few ago was missing the following songs: Rumble at the Kareoke Bar, Love Is, and a song about Mojo that I don't know the title of... also that spoken word song I mentioned, it was about that Seventies show "Quincy" something about a crimefighting coroner... heheh... Also, does anyone know of any nice telnet talkers? Um.. nevermind... gone to the dogs, gone to the dogs... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "You know that song, by Neil Young, She said you're wrong, Neil Young didn't sing that song, Ok, maybe you're right" -Wally Pleasant "Lost Weekend Las Vegas" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 01:54:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Dial-a-Song Arghh! I got this free 5-minute phonecard thing at the bookstore today, so I tried to call Dial-a-Song and the phone just kept ringing and ringing and never picked up. Anybody know what's up with this? --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-232 ******************************