Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-233 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 233 Monday, 26 August 1996 Today's Topics: FREE STUFF!!! Kinda TMBG-Related Re: Ana Ng (sob, sniff) and Wally Re: Ana Ng long-awaited? P Moss DuPont Pavilion Gainesville Concert Stumpbox II / Bootlegs Re: Gainesville Concert Re: DuPont Pavilion The Four Lads Re: Dial-a-Song Richmond Show Re: long-awaited? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-232 Tmbg on TV Re: Miami re: Dial-a-song Sarah Rice Trivial Pursuit and an Anniversary Re: Trivial Pursuit and an Anniversary FW: Ana Ng interps FW: Ana Ng Wait! S-E-X-X-Y Single: Important Info! dates Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: FREE STUFF!!! Kinda TMBG-Related Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 07:37:50 -0500 I Know dial-a-song is down, but to make this TMBG-Realted.... Don't Like paying long distance fee's for dial-a-song?? Then go to www.thezone.pair.com/freestuff/ and you can get pree phone bill certificates and free prepaid calling cards sent to you, (that page is just a buncha links to pages that give you free samples/stuff) Besides that you can get free... lotsa stuff, including photo scans, so anyone who has photos of They that they wanna put on a web site er something...... I Tried to make it TMBG-Realted........ _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:06:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Ana Ng > >All alone at the 64 world's fair, 80 dolls yelling "small girl after all" >Who was at the DuPont pavilion? Why was the bench still warm? >Who had been there? > >Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of > each other's majestic presence.... > >Listen, Ana, hear my words...they're the ones you would think I would > say if there was a me for you.... > >Folks, he was stood up. That's obvious. I don't think so. The "'64 World's Fair" bit means that they were both there, and they both knew they would both be there, maybe they were all ready to meet, but they missed each other. "Why was the bench still warm?" She was there, but he was late (or she was early) and she gave up waiting, and just afterward he showed up. As for the bus depot bit, it doesn't make sense to me at all. The famous bridge seems pretty obvious, though. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:15:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: (sob, sniff) and Wally Hey: Guess where I will be on September 22? You got it. Flying out of Richmond and back to Lansing. (Now this is where some would say, "But Elitza! Can't you stay just ONE MORE DAY? You've never seen Them! You need to! PLEEEEZE try to talk your mom into letting you stay just ONE DAY MORE!!") But the truth is, I have school (math, chem, really hard choir) and I can't stay. But the thought that I will be IN RICHMOND the very day of a concert and have to leave at 3 that after noon, well before the concert starts, makes me... well, rather P.O.'d. On another note: To whoever wrote about the Wally show (I can't remember your name): I too am a fan. And last week I realized that I've missed every single Cupp Java show this summer, but I don't really have and excuse. I wasn't doing anything, I had transprtation, I knew about the shows, and I didn't go. Are there any more? How many? (You see, WHS starts on Tues. and I'm going to see Crosby Stills & Nash that night. So I'll be tired Wed. If there's one the week after that I might go.) And do you listen to Impact? *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza Nicolaou \ "We apologise for the inconvenience." enicolao@scnc.waverly.k12.mi.us / *-- ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 11:51 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Ana Ng >As for the bus depot bit, it doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe since the wire on the horn at the bus depot was tangled up, the sound came out garbled and the speaker in the song thought it was saying Ana's name. "And in back of the edge of hearing these are the words that the voice was repeating/ Ana Ng and I..." etc. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:26:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: long-awaited? ok, here i am. sorry i havent had a chance to post about the 9:30 show, i have been incredibly busy all week...and i mean it. hrm...well, i dont know how to top the previous descriptions, so i wont try...i send out the generic "you guys that i met were all so cool!" message at this point in the letter... i really enjoyed meeting you all. (sorry if i'm a bit on the acerbic side, i'm running a bit low on sleep...and classes havent even started yet!) hmm, well, i was asked to post the set list that i got (it's half nola's! i got it only by drawing attention to me with OUR banner!). i dont actually have it here, but it will be forthcoming. ok enough has been said about the show, it's been more than a week, i cant believe it! ATTENTION: a thought occurred to me the other day...russ josephson had such a good idea with the TMBG video comp... this culture is, as we all know, much more visually oriented, but here's another idea: has anyone ever thought of getting together a collection of all the TMBG interviews from magazines and such into one huge "anthology?" (there isnt onelike it on the net, is there?) i realize it would be a huge document, but imagine the value! i'd love it! (but i'm also very book-oriented...) tell me what you guys think, and we'll see what we can do...i dont know if i'd have the time to do it alone, but i'd be willing to work together with someone...? it would be a great undertaking, but well worth it! well, before i give it any more thought, i want to know what you think, so i dont waste my time...if it's dumb, dont worry, just tell me! see you all around! --fransboigh ------------------------------ Subject: P Moss Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:23:13 -0400 (EDT) From: "Matt James" Could Phil Moss please email me? I lost your address. Thanks. Matt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 11:04:23 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: DuPont Pavilion In "The Long Chain," episode 7 of the totally rockin' documentary "Connections," James Burke is walking around in a re-creation of the DuPont Pavilion. The episode was about plastics, see? It also featured a lot of footage from the World's Fair. "Just in case you were interested, I just thought you'd wanna know." -Brak Sarah Cooke "All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value." -- Carl Sagan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:06:34 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Gainesville Concert Hey, who besides me is going to the Oct. 4 concert at the Alachua Music Harvest (http://www.atlantic.net/~gama/harvest.html)? And if you are, then tell me because I haven't really found any TMBG fans around here and It would be nice to find some, especially if you go to Bucholz. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:36:15 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Stumpbox II / Bootlegs Does anyone know how I can contact Phil Bickel? I'm curious to know what ever happened to his Stumpbox II project which I contributed to a number of months ago. And, if anyone out there happens to boot any of the upcoming TMBG shows scheduled, please tell me because I will trade with you! I probably have some stuff that you might like. Thanks. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:21:30 -0400 Subject: Re: Gainesville Concert << Hey, who besides me is going to the Oct. 4 concert at the Alachua Music Harvest (http://www.atlantic.net/~gama/harvest.html)? And if you are, then tell me because I haven't really found any TMBG fans around here and It would be nice to find some, especially if you go to Bucholz. I'll be there! With my mom! Kay, mourning the dearth of TMBG fans in Miami ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:21:33 -0400 Subject: Re: DuPont Pavilion Doesn't it say in the FAQ or somewhere that both (very young) Johns happened to be at the 64 World's Fair, unbeknownst(sp?) to them at the time? Kay ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: The Four Lads Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 18:51:18 18000 Wow. The Four Lads are on a special on PBS called Tex Beneke and His Orchesta , and they performed Instanbul, Not Constantinople. It was cool. Just thought you'd like to know! :) Anyone else catch it? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:45:44 -0500 From: James Hall Subject: Re: Dial-a-Song At 01:54 AM 8/25/96 -0500, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: >...I tried to call Dial-a-Song and the phone just kept ringing and >ringing and never picked up. Anybody know what's up with this? I wish I knew... I've been trying to get through too, with the same response :( James ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:50:41 -0500 From: root Subject: Richmond Show Ticket bastard still doens't have a clue. I'm gonna call the place where they're supposed to play tommorow. More info as it comes--BlueDawg ------------------------------ Subject: Re: long-awaited? From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:57:22 EDT On Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:26:10 -0400 (EDT) Fransburgh writes: >ATTENTION: a thought occurred to me the other day...russ josephson had > >such a good idea with the TMBG video comp... this culture is, as we >all >know, much more visually oriented, but here's another idea: >has anyone ever thought of getting together a collection of all the >TMBG >interviews from magazines and such into one huge "anthology?" (there >isnt >onelike it on the net, is there?) i realize it >would be a huge document, but imagine the value! i'd love it! (but i'm > >also very book-oriented...) tell me what you guys think, and we'll see > >what we can do...i dont know if i'd have the time to do it alone, but >i'd be willing to work together with someone...? it would be a great >undertaking, but well worth it! I have compiled about 10 articles and put html into them for my website and I also have about ten 10 more that I didn't put into html... I will be willing to contribute... This may actually work better as a website since each article could then be one seperate file... well, whatever... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: rego@macs.ranteg.navy.gov.au Organization: RAN MHQ Annexe North Sydney Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:07:32 +10 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-232 Hey people, I saw someone talking about wanting TMGB to go to the UK and stuff on their world tour. Well, all I care about is that everyone that wants to see them, gets to see them!!! Let's hope they do in fact tour the world, and not just the popular countries. Oh, and please let them come to Australia again... Man I would love that... Cyas, Ad. *------------------------------ | Adam Poskitt | |rego@macs.ranteg.navy.gov.au| | Get out the big stick of | | life and beat the hell out | |anything that stands in your| | way. | *------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 23:52:30 -0400 (EDT) From: metrasm@vivanet.com (MDM) Subject: Tmbg on TV hello ppl, I was sitting there on the puter, and i had mtv on in the background, and buzzkill was on. all of a sudden i noticed they were playing snail shell in th background :) -MDM ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 01:11:08 -0400 From: "Daniel F. Carpio" Organization: Icanect Subject: Re: Miami > Kay, mourning the dearth of TMBG fans in Miami what? please elaborate; do you mean to say that there are no fans in miami?? sincerely,a fan from miami ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 01:54:30 -0400 (EDT) From: metrasm@vivanet.com (MDM) Subject: re: Dial-a-song >Arghh! I got this free 5-minute phonecard thing at the bookstore today, >so I tried to call Dial-a-Song and the phone just kept ringing and >ringing and never picked up. Anybody know what's up with this? I noticed that the other day when i tried to call, i figured it was no big deal, that it was down just like an internet server can go down -MDM ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 03:04:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Birdlace Subject: Sarah Rice I'm looking for Sarah Rice of Rochester, NY. If she's out there, please email me. Ellen Kao ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 06:43:24 PST Subject: Trivial Pursuit and an Anniversary From: anakin1@juno.com (Nick J Hatton) While my family and I were playing trivial pursuit a really cool question came up "What was the former name for Istanbul?" everyone shouted out Constantinople! It was very cool. also, If the Demo Tape was released in 1986, Wouldn't that make this year They Might Be Giant's Tenth Anniversary or something cool like that? MonoPuff@Tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: 26 Aug 96 10:12:01 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: Trivial Pursuit and an Anniversary --- Super Nick wrote: also, If the Demo Tape was released in 1986, Wouldn't that make this year They Might Be Giant's Tenth Anniversary or something cool like that? --- end of quoted material --- I think the tape was re;eased in 85, but this is the 10th anniversary of They might be giants as a signed band. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 07:29:04 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Ana Ng interps Please, please, please don't start it again! I can't stand another month-long thread about where Ana lives and where the narrator lives and, "Hey, if its Linnell then you have to shoot thru NYC right?" I just can't take it again! If you want to know where he is and where Ana is read the FAQ. I don't have the URL but I'm sure its a link at www.tmbg.org . I beseech thee, go there. he's gone, Well, when this started up, I looked at tmbg.org, and didn't really find a specific answer as to where you'd be shooting through. Hope everyone had a great weekend.....I learned a few things at a party JUST LAST NIGHT, and I hope these tips help..... 1. Screen doors, albeit see-through, are NOT walk-through. At least five people thought so....now the screen door is a frame. 2. Don't screw with the stereo. My friend Dan had the party last night, and his parents have the CD player wired through the tv to get that 'surround sound' thing going....some dipshit presses the wrong button, you're on Channel 3, and it's straight static at the highest volume possible. (The dipshit was me.) 3. Under hallucinogenics, don't watch the Wall. At least not with people who comment all the way through the damn movie. Yes, the guy who plays Pink is from the Boomtown Rats. I know, i know. 4. Please, no diving off the roof onto the deck below. It's like diving into the shallow end, in a way (I guess you had to see that one). Thanks for letting me broaden your horizons when it comes to that sort of thing. Luckily, nada policia shep now reachable at shep@tmbg.org, thank you Leo! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 07:31:21 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Ana Ng >All alone at the 64 world's fair, 80 dolls yelling "small girl after all" >Who was at the DuPont pavilion? Why was the bench still warm? >Who had been there? > >Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of > each other's majestic presence.... > >Listen, Ana, hear my words...they're the ones you would think I would > say if there was a me for you.... > >Folks, he was stood up. That's obvious. I don't think so. The "'64 World's Fair" bit means that they were both there, and they both knew they would both be there, maybe they were all ready to meet, but they missed each other. "Why was the bench still warm?" She was there, but he was late (or she was early) and she gave up waiting, and just afterward he showed up. As for the bus depot bit, it doesn't make sense to me at all. The famous bridge seems pretty obvious, though. If she really wanted to meet, she would have waited. And for the bus depot, yeah, I've got no clue either. shep ------------------------------ Date: 26 Aug 96 10:13:55 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Wait! Well, a sudden family vacation has left me at a loss for words. I'm going to be away until friday. I just thought I'd let you know. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:59:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: S-E-X-X-Y Single: Important Info! Hideho! Here is the official info on the S-E-X-X-Y single: It will be released September 24. The CD single will contain S-E-X-X-Y; Sensurround (new version); I've Got a World That Swings (a new Linnell song); and a club mix of S-E-X-X-Y. The cassingle will contain S-E-X-X-Y; Unforgotten; S-E-X-X-Y (Club mix) Elektra refuses to give TMBG the money to do a video for S-E-X-X-Y (or any single from Factory Showroom) unless the single is a hit. So, the only ways to get a video are (a) buy multiple copies of the single to make it "more of a hit" (you'll have to anyway, because of the stupid choice to make the two versions different) or (b) bombard Elektra with letters demanding that they release a video. All of the above is direct from Pat Dillett, who produced Factory Showroom. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:04:49 -0400 Subject: dates Could Leo or somebody else please post the list of upcoming concert dates? (I no longer have use of Netscape). Also, if anyone has any details yet on the Richmond show or any upcoming VA / MD / DC shows, I would appreciate them. Thanks... Greg ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-233 ******************************