Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-234 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 234 Wednesday, 28 August 1996 Today's Topics: ang ng thread (AGAIN!) and those annoying sig files Forgive Me!!!! Boba-Mail: Boba is back!!!! Re: ang ng thread (AGAIN!) and those annoying sig files VA Dates Boba-Mail: Boba is back!!!! NY CONCERT DATES? Ana Ng Name survey results/ not final Miscellaneous T, XTC Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC Re: What to call us? SURVEY. read it and find out :) WIRIS read it and find out :) test, so kill me... Re: WIRIS Re: WIRIS Re: WIRIS He is 1,000 years old (not quite) Double single Re: Double single iso TMBG info TMBG clippings Re: He is 1,000 years old (not quite) Re: Double single Frank Black/TMBG Live Promo CD For Sale Will Pay $$ For Hello CD's!! re: Dial-a-song Dreams, XTC trash this Where my eyes want to go Istanbul w/o lyrics First hello / interpretation Boba Mail Richmond Show Re: Richmond Show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:57:14 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: ang ng thread (AGAIN!) and those annoying sig files ANA NG attention newbies... as previously suggested please read the FAQ sheet and go to the interp archive @ http://www.tmbg.org/ for info on "ana ng"... you'll find them really helpful, then come back and discuss your opinions with the rest of us. let us know what you agree with and what you don't. but please read these first. THOSE ANNOYING SIG FILES is anyone else getting reaaaallllyyyy sick of those sig files that are 15 lines longs and are full of "letter-pictures" and advertisements and their top web sites and the top 427 bands they like and their favourite users and the irc channels they like and so on and so forth? I AM!!!!! and those of you who use these kinds of sig files... i still love you, but i'm forced to whip out my jumbo gummi-trout and WHAP!!! you about the head and neck with it! brother john green jello ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:47:13 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Forgive Me!!!! TEST ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:59:52 EST Subject: Boba-Mail: Boba is back!!!! Nick J. Hatton Wrote: > also, If the Demo Tape was released > in 1986, Wouldn't that make this year They Might Be Giant's Tenth Anniversary or something cool like that? > They Might Be Giants have been a band since approximately 1980. The Demo Tape was released in 1985, The Debut album in '86. In 1995 I read that TMBG have been 'making better music for 10 years' or something like the same. Also if anyone had sent me the HTML program for a guestbook I never got it or any other mail since early August. Also if Matt James is reading I never got a reply from when I wrote you a couple weeks ago. The School E-Mail System erased everything before the new semester. Alas. Have a groovy day! Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Leave Me Alone!" -They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:09:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: ang ng thread (AGAIN!) and those annoying sig files On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Green Jello wrote: > as previously suggested please read the FAQ sheet and go to the interp > archive @ http://www.tmbg.org/ for info on "ana ng"... you'll find them > really helpful, then come back and discuss your opinions with the rest of > us. let us know what you agree with and what you don't. but please read > these first. sounds good to me...you know, i don't mind this recurrnig thread all that much, it would just be nice to see some actually discussion going on here, things have been pretty slow lately... > THOSE ANNOYING SIG FILES > their top web sites and the top 427 bands they like and their favourite > users and the irc channels they like and so on and so forth? I AM!!!!! yeah, i can see how the could get on your nerves after seeing them over and over again, but that way they can say non-tmbg things without leo threatening to make two lists (you must thank leo for all the great work he's done for his fellow tmbgers) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:25:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeffrey B Scanlon, Jr." Subject: VA Dates Can someone please post or email me more info on the VA dates? Please?? ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Boba-Mail: Boba is back!!!! Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:35:30 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: > Nick J. Hatton Wrote: > > > also, If the Demo Tape was released > > in 1986, Wouldn't that make this year They Might Be Giant's Tenth Anniversary or something cool like that? > > > > They Might Be Giants have been a band since approximately 1980. The > Demo Tape was released in 1985, The Debut album in '86. In 1995 I > read that TMBG have been 'making better music for 10 years' or > something like the same. Actually, I believe it was late 1982 that TMBG got together as I believe they had been in some other bands in '80 or '81. It was either late '82 or early '83. > > Also if anyone had sent me the HTML program for a guestbook I never > got it or any other mail since early August. Also if Matt James is I'm here, what's up? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: TracyG2000@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:46:29 -0400 Subject: NY CONCERT DATES? I just attended my first TMBG show (at the 9:30 Club), and I'm still jazzed about it. The show was excellent, and I met some super people. TMBG fans really are the greatest! Can anyone out there tell me when TMBG will be playing any NY dates, where, when, and how I can get tickets? Thanks, Tracy "There's not a lot of things that she'll take back; She wants to see you again Slowly twisting in the wind..." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 23:19:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Ana Ng >If she really wanted to meet, she would have waited. And for the bus > depot, yeah, I've got no clue either. Yeah, but she thought *she* had been stood up, so after waiting for a long time she left. And then he shows up, and wonders if *he's* been stood up. >shep /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Name survey results/ not final Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:27:03 -0500 Top: prosthetic foreheads - 3 votes rabid children - 2 votes Killer Karate Kangaroos - 1 vote, all down from here have 1 Carnilist Theysayers Tee-eM-Bee-Gees arantxa sanchez vicario NOW, Anyone who hasn't voted, keep sending votes to me, and if anyone voted for one of these and likes a dirfferent vote, KEEP VOTES COMING TO WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM... Please no more arantxa sanchez blahblahblah's _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 23:39:38 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: Miscellaneous T, XTC word up, you all Does anyone know what albums the songs on Misc. T are outtakes from? If there's no hard evidence, does anyone think they know?(this could be a fun thread) i recently bought the Back to Skull EP. i love "She was a Hotel Detective". The song with that same title on Their first album i don't like much. i also bought WDTSS EP. i couldn't believe They did a cover of a Meat Puppets song. that's pretty f'n cool. Also, i was at the library last week and saw an XTC album. I've seen them mentioned on this list dozens of times, so i took it out. It's called "Oranges and Lemons". it's quite good. i want to buy some of their albums now, so could some one tell me which album(s),IYO, are the best? i hope to be going to the Richmond show, so i'll try to get some info on it. "Mashed potatoes! Terry, you shouldn't have". -UHF Let go and let God Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:21:08 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > Does anyone know what albums the songs on Misc. T are outtakes from? Well, It's Not My Birthday, I'll Sink Manhattan, and Nightgown of the Sullen Moon are on the They'll Need a Crane single. When It Rains It Snows, We're The Replacements, and The Famous Polka are on the Don't Let's Start single. Is Mr. Klaw on there too? I don't have it in front of me. 3 songs are remixes, and When It Rains It Snows and The Biggest One are on the demo tape. So I guess they are "outtakes" from the first album, technically. I don't know anything else. Just thought I'd say something about something. :) ---Nola Hey, do you think they'll make the cover of Rolling Stone this time around? Hardy har har. That's a good one. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:44:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > Also, i was at the library last week and saw an XTC album. I've seen > them mentioned on this list dozens of times, so i took it out. It's called > "Oranges and Lemons". it's quite good. i want to buy some of their albums > now, so could some one tell me which album(s),IYO, are the best? > Oranges and Lemons is a masterpiece, and if you like it, you can't go wrong with "Skylarking" and "Nonsuch". If you want to take a leap into the somewhat different sound of XTC's past, choose "Black Sea" or "Drums and Wires". Soon you will get to the point where if it has the name XTC you will want to own it no matter what it is. I just got Rag and Bone Buffet and I haven't heard it yet but it's XTC so of course it's gonna rock! Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:54:39 -0700 Mr. Klaw, For Science, and the original version of Kiss Me Son of God are on the Hotel Detective single ---------- > From: *groovechild* > To: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Miscellaneous T, XTC > Date: Monday, August 26, 1996 9:21 PM > > > On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > > > Does anyone know what albums the songs on Misc. T are outtakes from? > > Well, It's Not My Birthday, I'll Sink Manhattan, and Nightgown of the > Sullen Moon are on the They'll Need a Crane single. > > When It Rains It Snows, We're The Replacements, and The Famous Polka are > on the Don't Let's Start single. Is Mr. Klaw on there too? I don't have > it in front of me. > > 3 songs are remixes, and When It Rains It Snows and The Biggest > One are on the demo tape. So I guess they are "outtakes" from the first > album, technically. I don't know anything else. Just thought I'd say > something about something. :) > > ---Nola > > Hey, do you think they'll make the cover of Rolling Stone this time > around? Hardy har har. That's a good one. > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 01:09:22 -0400 From: Pat Subject: Re: What to call us? SURVEY. At 08:12 AM 8/22/96 -0500, Leda Glodell wrote: > I'm taking a survey to see what we should call ourselves... I like >the prostetic foreheads (spelled wrong). So, if you care to take part, >e-mail your vote on the subject line to wglodell@baraboo.com i'll post the >results in about 5 days. > > Wyatt, who goes back to school tomorrow, WHAT A WASTE OF LIFE! > > > I think we should be called, "Minimum Wage Prostetic Foreheads (With a Dinner Bell)" What do you think? Or we could be called, "The TMBG Fan Club", yipee. Patrick Patterson webman@westol.com http://www.westol.com/~webman/index.htm *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------- "In the RACE to be BETTER or BEST, don't miss the joy of BEING!!!!". Quote by an anonymous Author. Web page: http://www.westol.com/~webman/ Weird Al page: http://www.westol.com/~webman/tv/wierdal.htm E-Mail: webman@westol.com, alfabet@aol.com Internet Relay chat: PatPatMan, TheWebMan LET EVERYTHING THAT HATH BREATH, PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!! Quote from john@southcoast.net's ender. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 01:35:27 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: read it and find out :) I'd like to give a great big shout-out for my boy Mike Rose, who turns *23* today, August 27th. Happy Birthday, Mike! We love you! It IS your birthday, it IS today. It IS your birthday, and that's why we lunge out at you. (got to keep that TMBG vein) Nola ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: WIRIS Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:05:10 -0400 (EDT) > > On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > > > Does anyone know what albums the songs on Misc. T are outtakes from? > When It Rains It Snows, We're The Replacements, and The Famous Polka are > on the Don't Let's Start single. Is Mr. Klaw on there too? I don't have > it in front of me. Isn't When it Rains It Snows on Lincoln as well? Misc T came out in 1991 so it was even after Flood. We could see a Freaksickle since it has been 3 albums since a b-sides/remix compilation album and because there are so many songs that are new that have been recorded and are not appearing on Factory Showroom. I'm hoping that a few of these songs appear on the upcoming single and then they can put the rest and some other new ones or remixes or what-have=you on Freaksickle if it indeed will come out. Heck, maybe they'll even put a live song or two on a compilation album? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: read it and find out :) Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:17:01 -0400 (EDT) > > I'd like to give a great big shout-out for my boy Mike Rose, who turns > *23* today, August 27th. Happy Birthday, Mike! We love you! > > It IS your birthday, it IS today. It IS your birthday, and that's why we > lunge out at you. (got to keep that TMBG vein) And now he's older than he's ever been and now he's 1 year older and now he's 1 year older and now he's 1 year older! (Actually he's only 1 day older than he was yesterday but we won't tell him that!) -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:58:06 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: test, so kill me... test test test Blue-My-Sendmail-Is-Fucked-Up-Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:10:02 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: WIRIS On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Isn't When it Rains It Snows on Lincoln as well? Matthew James, I am going to ignore this question and hope that you were very tired when you asked it. :) Nola ------------------------------ Subject: Re: WIRIS Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 11:45:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >Isn't When it Rains It Snows on Lincoln as well? Misc T came out >in 1991 so it was even after Flood. >We could see a Freaksickle since it has been 3 albums since a >b-sides/remix compilation album and because there are so many >songs that are new that have been recorded and are not appearing on >Factory Showroom. Misc T was released on Bar None, so it contains only songs from the Bar None era (The Has-A-Blue-Dog-But-It's-Still-The-Pink album and Lincoln). Two albums is usually pretty soon for a B-sides album, but They tend to have more material than your average band. >Heck, maybe they'll even put a live song or two on a compilation >album? People close to the issue have stated this is the case on this list before... ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: WIRIS Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:01:12 -0400 (EDT) > > On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > Isn't When it Rains It Snows on Lincoln as well? > > Matthew James, I am going to ignore this question and hope that you were > very tired when you asked it. :) Hehe, ok I didn't say that, nobody heard me doh 8-) I think I got up too early like i do every morning at 6am, maybe because I didn't get enough sleep? Nah, that's no excuse, I never get enough sleep ;) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 15:20:14 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: He is 1,000 years old (not quite) Happy Birthday Mike! 23 years and 9 months ago today your dad got really drunk on Moosehead beer and mistook your mom for his inflatable woman ;) Congratulations. Why does that word look so weird? Also since it seems the hip thing to do now-a-days, TEST TEST TEST, I am testing There, Brother JohnBejezus (who refers to you people as "listies" and don't care wot you call him) "Mumbling weighs upon my mind, the talk of creatures in my spine" - The Residents ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:10:49 -0400 Subject: Double single Hello 41- I was thinking (scary thought ((eek, did it again!))) and I recall hearing people say that they heard Metal Detector on the radio. They said it was released as a promo, and will be the new single. Now it is being said that S-E-X-X-Y is the new single. What gives? Also what happened to the talk of How Can I Sing Like A Girl being the single? Thinking too hard, Nit ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 15:30:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Double single > I was thinking (scary thought ((eek, did it again!))) and I recall hearing > people say that they heard Metal Detector on the radio. They said it was > released as a promo, and will be the new single. Now it is being said that Anyone who gets a hold of the Metal Detector promo, I will buy it from you. If you aren't willing to sell it, at least make me a copy of it so I can hear the song! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:44:31 +0000 From: Ethan Wolvek Organization: Ronin Pictures Subject: iso TMBG info This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------38313D4E48E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi dont know if you have any info relevant to this query but here goes: According to the official they might be giants home page TMBG (www.tmbg.com) are performing on the Larry Sanders show in Sept. I dont know if that means it's airing then or taping then and iof so when DOES it air? I dont even know if you know. I dont even know who you are. HELP! Do you know anything about this? Do you know anyone who knows about this? I just found your address via an email search. Thanx in advance --------------38313D4E48E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="www.tmbg.com" The Official They Might Be Giants Home Page

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS

We are currently developing our totally awesome home page, but in the mean time we want to be sure you can get current concert information. Come out and hear us at the following places:
Sept 4
Iron Horse, Northhampton MA
Sept 5
Zoots, Portland ME
Sept 6
Hatch Shell (WFNX), Boston MA
Sept 7
Benson Auditorium, Harding Univ, Searcy AR
Sept 8
Pointfest, St. Louis MO
Sept 19
House Of Blues, Los Angeles CA
Sept 20
Larry Sanders Show, Los Angeles CA
Sept 22
Mayo Island Music, Richmond VA
Sept 23
Kuhl Hall, SUNY Geneseo, NY
Sept 25
Mercury Lounge, New York NY
Sept 27
The RACC (State College) Albany, NY

Coheadliners with the Violent Femms

Sept 28
Brown University, Providence RI
Sept 30
VA?
Oct 1
NC?
Oct 2
SC, GA?
Oct 4
Alachua County Fairgrounds, Gainesville FL (352) 336-8360
Oct 5
FL?
Oct 7
MS?
Oct 8
LA?

New CD's!

A new single will be released on about September 24th. The song has not yet been chosen.

A new ALBUM will be out on October 8th, and it is titled Factory Showroom. It will be followed by a WORLD TOUR.

Accessed times!

webmaster@tmbg.com
--------------38313D4E48E0-- ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:34:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG clippings I loved Fransburgh's idea of a huge collection of TMBG articles and clippings. I have a bunch I could contribute, and I'm sure all of you out there have collections of your own. Neal ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:35:06 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: He is 1,000 years old (not quite) On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Bejezus wrote: > Happy Birthday Mike! 23 years and 9 months ago today your dad got really > drunk on Moosehead beer and mistook your mom for his inflatable woman ;) > Congratulations. Why does that word look so weird? > Also since it seems the hip thing to do now-a-days, I feel left out.....I posted a quick note about my B-Day, and got no response at all. I guess being 20 doesn't count for anything anymore. :) > TEST TEST TEST, I am testing gnitset ma I, TSET TSET TSET I am palindroming. > There, > Brother JohnBejezus (who refers to you people as "listies" and don't care > wot you call him I can deal with listies. We'll call Brother John "Al". :) BlueDawg.... idiotnot@visi.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:37:42 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: Double single On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Hello 41- > > I was thinking (scary thought ((eek, did it again!))) and I recall hearing > people say that they heard Metal Detector on the radio. They said it was > released as a promo, and will be the new single. Now it is being said that > S-E-X-X-Y is the new single. What gives? The deal with Metal Detector is that Flansburgh slipped a DeeJay a copy to play on a St. Louis radio station. It does look if S-E-X-X-Y is going to be the EP/single. BlueDawg bluedawg@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:51:46 -0700 From: willb26@earthlink.net (Will Bryant) Subject: Frank Black/TMBG Live Promo CD For Sale I have one extra copy of the Frank Black/TMBG "Live Thursday June 24, 1993 10pm EST" promo CD for sale. In addition to a full set from Frank Black, TMBG perform "Low," "Mammal," and "Particle Man." Minimum bid $12. Please reply by private E-mail to: ///////WB willb26@earthlink.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:59:25 -0700 From: willb26@earthlink.net (Will Bryant) Subject: Will Pay $$ For Hello CD's!! I am looking for Hello CD Club subscribers with subscribed for TMBG-related material but would like to unload the EP's that you don't listen to, or don't want. The following are the EP's I am interested in and the prices I'm offering... - Portastatic (Feb 1994) -- $5. - Freedy Johnston (July 1995) -- $10. I also have friends interested in locating: - Frank Black (Nov 1993) - The Minus Five (Dec 1993) - Andy Partridge (Nov 1994) I'm certain these will be worth at least $10 apiece to those interested. All CD's should be in mint condition and with the original sleeves. E-mail me privately if interested: ///////WB willb26@earthlink.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:02:28 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: re: Dial-a-song On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, MDM wrote: > >Arghh! I got this free 5-minute phonecard thing at the bookstore today, > >so I tried to call Dial-a-Song and the phone just kept ringing and > >ringing and never picked up. Anybody know what's up with this? > > I noticed that the other day when i tried to call, i figured it was no big > deal, that it was down just like an internet server can go down > -MDM > > Actually, DAS has been down for weeks. Someone posted about it about a month ago, and then I said something a few weeks ago. No on seems to know whats going on. And I was so excited the first time, when lo and behold, the darned thing actually _rang_! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:10:48 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Dreams, XTC Posting for the sake of posting, I have been having the most bizarre dreams about Them lately. The first one, I was in Meijer and J & J were driving around the store sitting on top of the cab of a semi. Linnell told me that I couldn't go on tour with Them because I asked too many questions. In the other dream, I was being pursued by an evil demon from hell. I went to my job, which is at Target, and Linnell was training to be a cashier. But, he kept avoiding my questions, especially the ones about TMBG. I, of course, as a concerend fan, wanted to know why on of the memebers of my favourite band was training to be a cashier at Target instead of creating new songs and touring. I don't think Linnell likes me very much. Not that I've met him, though, or anything... XTC- So far, Nonsuch and Skylarking are my favourites. I just recently got Black Sea. It is odd, very poppy, very '80s. I like it though. I am to the point, like what Mike Rose said, that I want to buy every album just because it says "XTC" on it...heh. Stef, who wonders why They chose such a S.U.C.K.E.Y song for their single. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:48:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Subject: trash this test ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:26:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Where my eyes want to go It didn't escape my notice that They are playing the House of Blues on the 19th of Sept (or was that the 20th? Whatever). It also came to my attention, accidently, that the House of Blues sometimes broadcasts its shows on the web. Do you think we can safely assume (ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...) that the House of Blues will broadcast They're gig? -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:42:04 -0400 (EDT) From: charney@cale.com (Charney Cale) Subject: Istanbul w/o lyrics A friend of mine wanted to know if she could get a version of Istanbul without the singin' for a gymnastics routine. Can anyone help? --charney www.cale.com/charney.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 01:06:31 -0400 From: Squonk Subject: First hello / interpretation Hello world! (phew, it worked) Nobody is a big fan of long introductions at 12:45 AM, so I'll tell you just a little bit about myself so I won't be slapping myself around in the morning. I am 16, and from Cheshire, CT, probably the home of many white-exclusive country clubs. As you might imagine, it's not easy to be different in this town, so I have to keep my eclectic musical tastes to myself. Besides TMBG, I am fanatically fond of many progressive rock bands, especially Rush, ELP and (early) Genesis. As my first contribution to this list, I would like to submit a dubiously original interpretation of "Pencil Rain". I would be shocked to find that nobody else has even pondered the concept of this song being about three things: war, some kind of pencil "pageant", and ehh emptying one's crayon (a pencil would be a synonymous symbol). Of course, there are military themes musically as well as lyrically. For delerium's sake, I will just do a quick rundown of the verses as they relate to each theme: The possible dream Finale of seem --Just a meaningless opening descriptive as it applies to the story on the surface. However, what is the end result when you unzip your "seem", or "seam"? Yep... The moment that some call eternal that some call insane Now helmets on each head awaiting the first lead --Helmets worn by the soldiers, naturally. A head is also a slang term for a toilet, though. Each toilet eargerly awaits the lead... The pageant is named the pencil rain The infantry stands And holds out its hands --Washing their hands perhaps, but I think they're all just lining up at the urinals... The marshal's binoculars focus and skyward they train They're searching the yonder blue They look out for number two --Number two is the standard pencil type for computer-corrected testing. A lot of times I have had to look out for number two because the same muscle that controls number one does so for number two as well :-) The heraldry of the pencil rain And now hear the roar that none can ignore The thunderous clatter of splintering wood and lives that are claimed --Pencils breaking, right. I think it would be an insult to your collective intelligence to point out the other process for which the last line is a metaphor, though! Startling, I know. And I apologize. E-mail me if you demand some subtractions from penance... This message brought to you by the letters ELP: http://bliss.berkeley.edu/elp/ --------------------- squonk@miracle.net ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:07:33 EST Subject: Boba Mail > .Stef, who wonders why They chose such a S.U.C.K.E.Y song for their single. What? That Song rules! > ..How Can I Sing Like A Girl being the single? The talk of this was because of a Flans interview. Flans is also sort of a liar. i.e. the Hootie tour thing. I'll never believe anything that man says. So, (silly question) Did that damn T-Shirt thing get resolved over the summer? (I didn't think so.) Have a groovy day. Boba out. -Matthew Ondrey "Leave Me Alone!" -They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:58:13 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Richmond Show Is anyone else planning on going? I still haven't been able to get any info on it. BlueDawg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:23:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeffrey B Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Re: Richmond Show On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > Is anyone else planning on going? I still haven't been able to get any > info on it. Yes, I'm sorta planning on going .. but i too can't get any info. Hmm. If I find anything I'll post it here .. its gotten quiet lately on this list. Anyone out there? What happened to all the They excitement before the 9:30 show? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-234 ******************************