Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-235 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 235 Thursday, 29 August 1996 Today's Topics: s-e-x-x-y RE: Dreams, XYC S-U-C-K-Y, XTC Re: Dreams, XYC Hey (fwd) Richmond show Re: Hey (fwd) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:35:03 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: s-e-x-x-y Well could someone explain what s-e-x-x-y sounds like for those of us who havent heard it yet pleeeeeeeeeeeze?????? Thanks, pezman P.S. Are there any other Fleming & John fans out there? They played our campus last week and "it rocked my world" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:35:34 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: RE: Dreams, XYC That's pretty weird, maaaannnn(in a stoner voice) i had a dream recently that was tmbg related. John Linnell was standing in front of a classroom by the door on the right side. there was a class of kids, and i was in the back sitting with them. i'm not sure of our ages. John was playing "She's an Angel" holding only his accordion, but i could here the album song. He asked us to sing along, but only i new the words; everyone else was just mumbling. any other tmbg related dreams occuring out there? if so, don't say nothin'. that would be just too twisted or something. BTW: anyone with Comedy Central: watch "Daily Show". it's on at 11:30 p.m. Mon-Thurs. it's the most sarcastic show ever. it's great. does anyone hate the expression "quite frankly"? i do. "put a fish in a tatoo gun, watch what color ink comes out". -Shudder to Think floating in double-coated tape, Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:42:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: S-U-C-K-Y, XTC >XTC- So far, Nonsuch and Skylarking are my favourites. I just recently >got Black Sea. It is odd, very poppy, very '80s. I like it though. As well you should. :) I am to the point, like what Mike Rose said, that I want to buy every album >just because it says "XTC" on it...heh. Hey, I'm at that point...except I already *have* bought everything with "XTC" on it. :) >Stef, who wonders why They chose such a S.U.C.K.E.Y song for their single. First off, if you spell it right (S-U-C-K-Y) it fits the meter of the song. :) Second, it's not a sucky song, really. It's not great, but it's catchy, it's funny, it's got S-E-X in the title. It could be a hit. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:43:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Dreams, XYC Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Aug-96 RE: Dreams, XYC by Braille Works@ncweb.com > everyone else was just mumbling. any other tmbg related dreams occuring out > there? if so, don't say nothin'. that would be just too twisted or > something. Yeah. I once had a dream that I was at a concert and they were playing Fingertips - in order. Then I woke up and my CD player was playing Fingertips, in order. It's strange how an external sound can influence me when I'm asleep. However, I did have a really odd dream about Them right before the 9:30 club show... see, some other people I know who aren't really on the list (yet) were trying to get an interview with Them, and, if nothing else, back stage passes (yeah, right). And my dream was that while we were back there, I mentioned to Linnell that I played the accordion, too, and he asked me to play something to demonstrate. I then told him that "Well, um... all I can really play from memory is stuff of yours that I figured out... sort of. But when I play it it sucks because I'm not sure it's quite right." and he said that didn't matter and to play something they didn't play at the show. So for some reason I played Cage & Aquarium and Flans started singing and then Linnell joined in along with everyone else in the room, and it was strange. But they enjoyed it. And they appreciated the fact that I was inspired by them.... But we couldn't go back stage, so none of that was able to happen... not that it would anyway. (I think if I did get a chance to tell Linnell that I played accordion and did, his response would something to the effect of "Oh." :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:47:20 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Hey (fwd) Here's something weird. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- To: Nweave1@tiger.towson.edu Heard some news from my radio station boss. He got backstage at TMBG in DC but their manager wouldn't let him back. The manager's words: "They Might Be Giants...They Might Be Fighting..." Apparently Linnell is VERY pissed at Monopuff's college radio success, hence the style of "Factory Showroom", which is TMBG's first blatent attempt at getting airplay. ---------end of forwarded message Hmm...gotta wonder how much of this is true, even though my source is reliable. But since we are not actually close personal friends of the guys we may never know. But I think that they were probably working on songs for Factory Showroom even before Monopuff decided to do their thing, so I don't really see how the style of Showroom would be connected at all to Monopuff. Also, Flans said that the reason he was doing the Monopuff thing was for the freedom of being "unsupervised," because every time TMBG do something everyone is watching and waiting with certain expectations of what it should be. He said that as soon as people knew about the side projects it was assumed that they were squabbling or breaking up. Do we think that they are going for more publicity/airplay, whatever with this album? Well, of course they want to be popular and successful. But I really cannot imagine Linnell being unsupportive of Flans' work, or vice versa. Nola ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 01:07:47 -0400 Subject: Richmond show I'm definitely going to the Richmond show. Any info is appreciated. Greg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 02:01:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: Hey (fwd) > > "They Might Be Giants...They Might Be Fighting..." > This *would* however, explain the fact that They took FOREVER to come on stage after the Candy Butchers were done. And the fact that Flans looked rather pissed off during the entire show. Although, Linnell did seem to be happier than usual....*shrug* > He said that as soon as people knew about the side > projects it was assumed that they were squabbling or breaking up. Heaven forbid!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and for whoever mentioned this, quite frankly, I happen to like this phrase. :):):) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-235 ******************************