Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 236 Friday, 30 August 1996 Today's Topics: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-235 prov Re: Hey (fwd) Re: Dreams, XYC Re: Re: Hey (fwd) Back issues back to back Re: Re: Hey (fwd) tmbg and drugs Re: TMBG clippings I'm back!!! Miscellaneous T XTC hat Re: tmbg and drugs Re: XTC FW: Miscellaneous T list Re: TMBG clippings Re: interview Sorry bout this... trash this..test trash this..test Talk Radio Name Re: Re: Hey (fwd) Re: hat RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! articles RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! the amazing Linnell Re: the amazing Linnell SHOW INFO!!! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:57:33 EST From: "Tim: fundamental, but not immutable" Subject: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-235 Fervently hoping that this is the correct way to reply to the list: I remember seeing a list of concert dates for Them this fall, but there were a number of TBA slots. I also heard a rumor last spring that They were coming to my college (Kenyon) campus. Though I am doubtful that They'd actually play right here (we're in the middle of nowhere in the Ohio hills, for John's sake!), They Might Be Playing in Columbus or Cleveland, which are only a couple of hours away. Are They? Sorry for the silly bad memory question, but I have never yet seen Them in concert. Thanks! Tim ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: prov Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:43:33 -0400 (EDT) Hiyas, This is just another plea for information on that Brown University show in Providence. Any help would be much appreciated. Didn't someone say they were beginnning school this week at Brown? I'd be much obliged. I also recently received a boot from Matt Coon which contained a radio show at the end (circa John Henry coming out). I forgot the name of the show but it was very interesting in that they played a Hello song, namely Nevada by John Linnell. Now I thought this funny to pick this particular State song in that it is about 40 seconds of lyrics and 7 minutes of parade noise. Doesn't seem like a song you'd play on the radio. He let it pay for a while too just listening to the ambient sounds. I would have guessed that they'd play South Carolina or Maine as they are totally rockin!~ They also said that No One Knows My Plan was created with the idea that the horn section would be able to play throughout the entire song, unlike other songs where they are bits of horn parts here and there and they just kinda dance or whatever for the rest of the song. Another interesting thing was that J & J played Birdhouse by themselves and that they had just learned how to do this recently (that is play it without any other band members). Also at the end of the actual boot (Ohio, 12/88) it was interesting to hear Alienations for the Rich especially since John Linnell said that his dad wrote this song. I'm pretty sure he was just being faciscious (sp?) but it was till kinda wacky. On the XTC front: I determined a few years back that the best song name was a song called _Train Running Low on Soul Coal_. Very wacky. Just as a little trivia question, does anyone know which album this song appeared on? It is a highly excellent album, one of their best! See ya later, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Hey (fwd) Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:21:59 -0500 (EST) > > But I think that they were probably working on > songs for Factory Showroom even before Monopuff decided to do their thing, > so I don't really see how the style of Showroom would be connected at all > to Monopuff. > Well, the whole scenario sounds unlikely, but keep in mind that *which* songs have made it onto the album (and which ones haven't) will greatly affect the overall style. [To draw a Beatles analogy, compare the US version of Revolver to the British: *very* different records!] It's possible, for instance, that Showroom is weighted toward more accessible tracks, with the oddballs relegated to being B-sides. What is probable and actual may be very different things, though. m@t ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Dreams, XYC From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:34:00 EDT On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:35:34 -0700 Lou Fioritto/Braille Works writes: >does anyone hate the expression "quite frankly"? i do. To be perfectly blunt with you, yes, yes I do... and quite frankly, how did this come up? =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:42:12 -0400 Subject: Re: Re: Hey (fwd) >> > "They Might Be Giants...They Might Be Fighting..." > This *would* however, explain the fact that They took FOREVER to come on stage after the Candy Butchers were done. << Well... no. The person I talked to from protix told me the Candy Butchers would start at 9:30 and TMBG would start at 11:30. So it was planned that way. At the time I thought "Gee, either this opening band is really cool, or They're driving a hell of a long way to get here." It turned out only the last part was true... remember when They came out for the final encore and complained about how long they'd been driving that day? In any case, I have trouble believing that Linnell's ego is tender enough to be wounded by a side project... >>Flans looked rather pissed off during the entire show<< I don't know about this, but I do think Linnell's apparent habit of staring at everyone in the audience is rubbing off on him. I could swear Flans was staring straight at me during Snail Shell. :) Christy ------------------------------ From: Bob Plass Subject: Back issues back to back Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:41:56 PDT Commence interplanetary exploration, Much thanks to Leo Bicknell for fixing the back issues of the digest at tmbg.org. I think I was the one who brought the fact that it was busted to his attention. Here is an excerpt from one of my messages to him: "P.S. I am not a web-spaz." Anyway, much happy birthdays to Mike Rose. So, I tell Lauren (my gal) that it was Mike's B-day the other day and last night on the phone, she asks me, "Mike? Oh, the guy we met at the 9:30 club who looks like John? Oh, hey, is there some kind of cool TMBG thing we can buy for Mike like some album he doesn't have?" And I'm like, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mike doesn't have Flood, let's get it for him." And she's all like, "Okay." Hee hee. Happy B-day from me and Lauren! Bob Plass ----------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:55:53 -0400 Subject: Re: Re: Hey (fwd) This whole discussion reminds me of an exchange between Linnell and Flans at Tradewinds... Linnell told Murph, the sound guy, to turn off everyone but him for "TMBG Got Lost," and then made the remark that it wasn't his idea, really. So, Flans, in a very deadpan, sarcastic voice, said something to the effect of... I want all you people on the Internet to go home and tell the world that working with Linnell is just awful, since he is such a dictator. (blah, blah, blah.)... Linnell responded by extending that scolding finger, turning to Flans, and saying, "Get back in your cage." And Flans was reportedly quite amused when he heard that within three hours of making that comment, it had already been posted to, at least, the AOL folder. I think the big point that has to be stressed about this whole exchange is the fact that it was a joke. Really, They Might have been Fighting over the last piece of pita. I gather that they did have an extremely long drive to DC, because there was some sort of major accident on the NJ Turnpike. If I am remembering the day correctly, They would have sat in traffic for about three hours and then have had to detour completely out of their way before getting back on 95 again. And since Flans would have been doing the driving, I can understand why he would have been very cranky. As for Linnell staring at people in the crowd: Linnell wears glasses off stage. Linnell doesn't wear glasses on stage. The thought occurred to me that Linnell Might Be Staring off into space because he can't really see anything beyond the first row or two very well. It's not as glamourous a thought as "Linnell Might Be An Alien," though. Love, Brooks the Queen of Justifications. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:08:48 -0400 From: John Paul Endicott Subject: tmbg and drugs I am a great fan of tmbg and i have always wonder if they smoke pot or partake in other like substances, does anyone know? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:18:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG clippings On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 Statue@aol.com wrote: > I loved Fransburgh's idea of a huge collection of TMBG articles and > clippings. I have a bunch I could contribute, and I'm sure all of you out > there have collections of your own. > Neal ok, guys, if we are really going to be serious about this, i need some input...i know there must be plenty of you out there who have artivle on Them which are either old or rare, or whatever... before i start anything, i want people to really let me know if they would be interested in eventually owning one of these or...well, whatever. if it works out, mayhap i will start with trying to get a comprehensive listing of all of Their interviews in existence...hmm, it's a toughie. i would start by simply asking list people what articles they own, then maybe try to move on from there... (microphice in the library??) ok, well, please let me know? --fransbop ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:38:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Craig Subject: I'm back!!! Hey everybody!!! I'm back at school and back on the 'net. I missed this all summer...so, what's new? Anyone here going to the show on Sept. 25th? Who's got Monopuff? Y'all like it as much as I do? :) Well, that's all for the barrage now...gotta run.. -Craig B. ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:21:45 -0700 Subject: Miscellaneous T I've got an original copy of _Miscellaneous T_, on Restless/Bar/None, still in the LONGBOX and shrinkwrapped, no less. I paid $13 for it new. If anybody is interested in purchasing or trading for this lovely little item, please send e-mail to . All reasonable offers considered. And by the way, I just received the two latest CDs from Hello. They are by Soul Coughing and Laura Cantrell. I haven't listened to the latter, but the former is mostly instrumental weirdness. Interesting ambient backgrounds, if you ask me. Peace. -- John -- http://reality.sgi.com/relph/ ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:23:50 -0400 (EDT) Subject: XTC I swore I'd never do this again: I haven't finished reading the digested lists from the last two days, but I can keep silent no longer. XTC were my favorite band till They came along, and I have to throw in my extremely humble opinions. "Oranges & Lemons," with the exception of "John Henry," was the album I anticipated more than any other. I waited for years. To this day, there are only two songs I can listen to on it. Anyone care to guess what they are? On the whole, I HATE THAT ALBUM!!! I feel their genius period went from "Drums and Wires" through "Black Sea" to "The English Settlement." I do love "Skylarking," which is the first album of theirs that I owned, and there are a couple of songs on "Nonesuch" that I'm crazy about. Also, if you guys haven't heard "The Big Express"... what are you waiting for? Because there seems to be confusion, let me point out that "Rag and Bone Buffet" is a collection of B-sides and other rare tracks, many of which I have on a vinyl album called "Beeswax: Some B-sides 1977-1982." There is also some cool stuff on there that never made it to "Rag & Bone Buffet." Sorry to bore you all w/ non-TMBG stuff. Maybe someone should start an XTC list? I guess not; there would never be tour dates to post! stevie. "Eliminate the ninnies and the twits." ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:23:57 -0400 (EDT) Subject: hat I bought a TMBG hat through the club and I hate it... if possible I'd like to trade it for the demo tape, since I used to have that & liked it but it got lost. Any takers? stevie. "Eliminate the ninnies and the twits." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:37:24 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: tmbg and drugs On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, John Paul Endicott wrote: > I am a great fan of tmbg and i have always wonder if they smoke pot > or partake in other like substances, does anyone know? TMBG partake in the following drugs: Alcohol, Nicotine, and most important, Caffiene. BlueDawg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:45:26 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: XTC On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 stevie@interport.net wrote: > Sorry to bore you all w/ non-TMBG stuff. Maybe someone should start an XTC > list? I guess not; there would never be tour dates to post! > stevie. Uh, there is one....Do an altavista search for "XTC," and you will get to John Relph's page...I believe that he maintains the list, too. BlueDawg Myke Weiskopf said that a new XTC box set is due to be released on Rhino soon. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:52:26 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Miscellaneous T I've got an original copy of _Miscellaneous T_, on Restless/Bar/None, still in the LONGBOX and shrinkwrapped, no less. I paid $13 for it new. If anybody is interested in purchasing or trading for this lovely little item, please send e-mail to . All reasonable offers considered. And by the way, I just received the two latest CDs from Hello. They are by Soul Coughing and Laura Cantrell. I haven't listened to the latter, but the former is mostly instrumental weirdness. Interesting ambient backgrounds, if you ask me. Hey all.... For those who aren't familiar with Laura Cantrell, she's the one who does vocals on "The Guitar". Plus, she's incredibly cute, if you've ever seen the video for the same song I just mentioned. shep check out my new, pitiful web site at www.hotliquid.com/~shep or just stick with www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html this is worse than moving into my apartment ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: list Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:58:46 -0400 (EDT) Actually there is an XTC email list that's been around for at least a few years called Chalkhills (ah yes taht song on oranges & Lemons) I never joined it but my friend did for a short while. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:18:44 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeffrey B Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Re: TMBG clippings On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > ok, guys, if we are really going to be serious about this, i need some > before i start anything, i want people to really let me know if they > would be interested in eventually owning one of these or...well, whatever. (TMBG content) Hey, personally i think this is a great idea .. I'd love to own copies of anything TMBG-related, from demo tapes/b-sides/video bootlegs and whatever else :) I could see what I could find in all the local libraries (via my campus library) if you want some help digging up information .. (XTC content) Okay, all this talk about XTC has got me real interested in them, but I have yet to knowingly hear anything by them. What would you all say would be the _best_ album to buy first? Something that is sure to hook me on 'em .. (More TMBG) As for labelling ourselves, honestly, I don't think its a very good idea. No offense to anyone who likes the idea, but I prefer to just go by "TMBGer" or "fan of TMBG" .. nothing fancy, nothing stupid .. Perhaps some others think this too? And one more request for info on the RICHMOND TMBG SHOW! Good luck to Fransburgh if she decides to partake on this awesome adventure .... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:21:01 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Re: interview Hey man, I live in Gville, Moon is cool. I guess a have a few questions. Like is Their new album going to be more like John Henry or like the older ones (which were sooooo much better). Also, if this is before the Music Harvest, ask Them what songs They are going to play. And ask Them about what how often They get on the net or AOL or whatever it is that They do. And if They read this list, and if They are ever going to finish Their web page. Obviously talk about Factory Showroom and what the single is like and what made them pick that song. One word of advice for Moon, distribute some more towards the NW side of town. I can only get Moon whenever I got to Leonardo's for dinner or something and that is not as often as it should be. Keep up the good work. _________________________________________________________ MLiq (mliq@digital.net) ************************************ *The They Might Be Giants Link Page* *http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/* ************************************ *--------------------------------------------------------- |"No one ever gets what they want and that is beautiful"| | -TMBG | *--------------------------------------------------------- jtm@atlantic.net wrote: > > Got questions you'd like to ask The Mssrs. John? If so, please e them > to me. I'm fixing to interview them for their upcoming Gainesville gig. > The piece will appear in MOON. If I don't use your questions, I'll > certainly blurb you a cred in the piece. I need the info before the inter- > view, which will take place before the end of next week. Thanks for > maintaining this website and thanks for your time! > Sincerely, Tad Markham ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:46:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Sorry bout this... Sorry to impose on all your readings here, but I must make this personal announcement. Sarah, if you are out there, I was wondering if you have copied those videos for me...it's been a while... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:55:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Subject: trash this..test test ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:55:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Subject: trash this..test test ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 18:28:27 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Talk Radio Anyone know of any cool talk radio shows that play TMBG and are available on the internet (e.g. Audionet (www.audionet.com))? _________________________________________________________ MLiq ************************************ *The They Might Be Giants Link Page* *http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/* ************************************ ------------------------------ Subject: Name From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:04:52 EDT Well we are all ATE music freaks! Alternative To Everything Cody Reynolds/Freon@juno.com The worse the hair cut, the slower it grows out. Doing it the hard way is always easier. When you dial a wrong number, you will never get a busy signal. An item that is specially designed for women it is the same as the mans model, but twice as expensive. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 22:44 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Re: Hey (fwd) >As for Linnell staring at people in the crowd: Linnell wears glasses off >stage. Linnell doesn't wear glasses on stage. The thought occurred to me >that Linnell Might Be Staring off into space because he can't really see >anything beyond the first row or two very well. Good point. I have terrible eyesight, and when I'm not wearing my glasses I frighten my friends, because I look at them but kind of *through* them, because I can't really focus on their eyes or facial features or anything. Just thought I'd share that. :P Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 22:47:53 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: hat At 15:23 8/29/96 -0400, stevie@interport.net wrote: >I bought a TMBG hat through the club and I hate it... if possible I'd like >to trade it for the demo tape, since I used to have that & liked it but it >got lost. Any takers? >stevie. I think I can help you out with that, Stevie. I can make a copy of the demo tape for you as a trade for the hat...I'd love that. Get back to me and tell me if you'd like to do it. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 23:00:33 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! thanks to my favorite inside source in Virginia, i know basically what's going on with the Richmond show. On Sept. 22 tmbg is playing, along with 3 or so local bands, at Mayo(might be spelled wrong) Island. it's in downtown Richmond and the cost is around $22.00. it's an outdoor place, and the show will start during the day. The price is approximate, and the official start time is not yet known. i'll try to get that ASAP. i do believe i'll be there. thanks for your time Chakka, king of all Little Caesar employees ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: articles Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 23:22:20 -0400 (EDT) Well per Fran's suggestion I thought of TMBG articles I have and I have two! One I received from Ellen Kao (I think that's who it was) and I thank her for that! It's a 1 page article on them and it says they are playing somewhere in Rochester. The other is from the Baltimore Sun and it is called 'Tall Tunes' and has a picture of John, John, Brian, and Tony (it's from last year) and it has an article on them and it says to call Sundial (tm) to hear John Henry songs (which isn't happening anymore but I did do so at the time! As for XTC, Skylarking is the Flood of XTC so I'd run out and buy that. Todd Rungren produced it, too. It's very excellent. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 23:28:54 -0400 (EDT) > what's going on with the Richmond show. On Sept. 22 tmbg is playing, along > with 3 or so local bands, at Mayo(might be spelled wrong) Island. it's in > downtown Richmond and the cost is around $22.00. it's an outdoor place, and > the show will start during the day. The price is approximate, and the > official start time is not yet known. i'll try to get that ASAP. i do > believe i'll be there. > During the day? Did you say, during the day? This is a Godsend!!! Wow, there was no way in hell I could make that show if it was at night as I have to work on Monday but if it's during the day I might actually be able to swing it. Yowza, is there any approximation as to when TMBG would hit the stage? Holy cow sakes alive. Hmm Richmond and Providence here I come. $22 is pricy tho. Oh well, any idea of the local bands? Thanks for this wonderful information, and oh yeah where are tix to be purchased? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:06:34 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: the amazing Linnell Linnell is a talented guy. What else does he play besides accordian/baritone sax/ oboe/ organ and keyboards? In the "Guitar" video, Linnell is playing bass. Can he really play, or was he just pretending to play in the video? Has anyone seen him play live? I don't know John L. at all, but it seems streange that he'd be upset about Mono Puff's success. First of all, Mono Puff isn't that successful. They never made it to Hawaii. I only know about them because of the Hello Club. TMBG is a much bigger band. Second, TMBG has never been concerned with popularity before, why start now? Third, from watching all the TMBG interviews on the bootleg tape, John L. seems to be the shy one. FLans does most of the talking, while Linnell's responses are short and direct. Why would he suddenly be concerned about success and recognition? As for TMBG's new album blatanly attempting to get airplay, I wouldn't know. I've haven't heard it. I don't get to go to 10+ concerts a year. Here's hoping for a world tour. Here's a nickname for us: They Might Be Fans. Sarah Cooke "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." -- Carl Sagan ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 01:29:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: the amazing Linnell Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Aug-96 the amazing Linnell by Sarah Cooke@pixi.com > Linnell is a talented guy. What else does he play besides > accordian/baritone sax/ oboe/ organ and keyboards? In the "Guitar" video, > Linnell is playing bass. Can he really play, or was he just pretending to > play in the video? Has anyone seen him play live? John Linnell is talented. He is so talented that he can play many instruments: Accordion, saxophone, clarinet, and many others. John Linnell is certainly not large. He is vulnerable to gusts of wind. John Linnell is far away. He's in Brooklyn, dammit. When are they coming to Pittsburgh? ------------ I think he can play bass, because if you watch him carefully in the video, his fingers are actually coordinated with the bass part. I don't know if the fingering is correct, but the timing is. He most likely would be able to play any instrument put in front of him... the brasses might take him a while, but winds shouldn't be a problem for him... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 01:51:11 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: SHOW INFO!!! Albany? Sept. 27? anyone? A phone number? anything... AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 AmY (seta) amy@tmbg.org/*/anangel@tmbg.org www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 **This message means nothing more than "meow" to an animal** =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-236 ******************************