Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-237 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 237 Saturday, 31 August 1996 Today's Topics: Boba Mail Re: RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! Re: the amazing Linnell web pages my precious hat Control Freak spaceman drummer guy Re: the amazing Linnell Re: web pages They Might Be Smokers? they might have addictions, unrelated things... tmbg-list Digest #2-236 Whole bunch o stuff TMBG article compilation book thingie majiggie richmond show Re: Control Freak Protix.. Re: They Might Be Smokers? Re: they might have addictions, unrelated things... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 Re: spaceman drummer guy Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:40:42 EST Subject: Boba Mail jpe118@psu.edu wrote > I am a great fan of tmbg and i have always wonder if they smoke pot > or partake in other like substances, does anyone know? > > Have you ever heard 'Spiralling Shape'? I don't think so. Fransburgh: As far as articles go, my friend Dave says that They used to be in this British magazine called Q quite often. This would be an excellent source. As far as Them being angry at each other yadda yadda yadda..... tHEY'RE HUMAN!! Let it be. Stuff happens. CYA! Boba Audi 500. -Matthew Ondrey "Leave Me Alone!" -They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:59:25 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: RICHMOND SHOW INFO!!! On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > what's going on with the Richmond show. On Sept. 22 tmbg is playing, along > > with 3 or so local bands, at Mayo(might be spelled wrong) Island. it's in > > downtown Richmond and the cost is around $22.00. it's an outdoor place, and > > the show will start during the day. The price is approximate, and the > > official start time is not yet known. i'll try to get that ASAP. i do > > believe i'll be there. Whooohooo! Great...I can cut two commercials and be able to go! > During the day? Did you say, during the day? This is a Godsend!!! > Wow, there was no way in hell I could make that show if it was at night > as I have to work on Monday but if it's during the day I might actually > be able to swing it. Yowza, is there any approximation as to when > TMBG would hit the stage? Holy cow sakes alive. Hmm Richmond and > Providence here I come. $22 is pricy tho. Oh well, any idea of > the local bands? Thanks for this wonderful information, and oh yeah > where are tix to be purchased? Well, Ticket Bastard doesn't have tix in Newport News...I guess I gotta go up there to get tickets...... Afternoon....and I can go to work on Monday.... BlueDawgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:01:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: the amazing Linnell On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I think he can play bass, because if you watch him carefully in the > video, his fingers are actually coordinated with the bass part. I don't > know if the fingering is correct, but the timing is. He most likely > would be able to play any instrument put in front of him... the brasses > might take him a while, but winds shouldn't be a problem for him... According to Myke, Linnell played all of the bass parts on Apollo 18. And then there's State Songs.... Musicians: Brian Doherty, Drums John Linnell, Everything Else BlueDawg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:33:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Jonnie Coffman Subject: web pages Does anyone out there know some cool web pages for TMBG? JONNIE COFFMAN, KC5JFS ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:18:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: my precious hat I am amazed at the response I got for the hat; at least six people are up for the trade, so (greedy bitch that I am), rather than take the early bird, I am upping the price to "best offer." What other kooky TMBG stuff can you offer me? stevie. "Eliminate the ninnies and the twits." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 13:36:23 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Control Freak About Linnell being a control freak. He is. I mean he has to be in every video that he plays on. His name ALWAYS comes first on just about every single album. Most of the songs on most of the albums are his. He's always the one that talks on DAS.... "How come that little scrawny guy always talks, I want to hear the big fat guy, you know the one that kinda looks like Danny (Someone I forget) but fatter." - Frank O'toole show. His current accordian is red. Red is the color control freaks perfer. Oh by the way the above is not to be taken seriously I was just joking. Anyway this is my last post to the list because I am heading to school and I am leaving my job here. Once I get an acconut there I will probally subscribe back to the list. Its been fun being on here reading through related and unrelated things. And let us hope that threads like the Butknob and Mr. Blobby (if anyone is still around from that one) never happen agian. And I sure hope TMBG don't get very popular. There was enough crap in my mail box as there is now. Just imange how much crap there would be if they were trendy... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:29:29 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: spaceman drummer guy X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 Message-ID: <322716A8.2D4A@baka.com> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:28:24 +0000 From: Jonah Reply-To: smiley42@baka.com X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02 (Macintosh; I; 68K) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: spaceman drummer guy References: <199608300447.SAA23364@mail.pixi.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I think he can play bass, because if you watch him carefully in the > video, his fingers are actually coordinated with the bass part. I don't > know if the fingering is correct, but the timing is. He most likely > would be able to play any instrument put in front of him... the brasses > might take him a while, but winds shouldn't be a problem for him... That brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. That guy in the space suit in the statue got me high video is playing a snare drum. His motions definitely coincide with the snare on the song(I'm a drummer). So, if They used a drum machine back then, the big question is who is that guy? Just wondering. -- "I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up."-They Might Be Giants Jonah ------------------------------ Subject: Re: the amazing Linnell From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:30:44 EDT On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:01:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" writes: > >According to Myke, Linnell played all of the bass parts on Apollo 18. I was under the impression that Linnell played synth bass or something like that on Apollo 18... whatever =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: web pages From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:30:44 EDT On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:33:09 -0500 (CDT) Jonnie Coffman writes: > Does anyone out there know some cool web pages for TMBG? > although it is less than cool, I have a site called the hall of heads at http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/6476/ it probably has plenty of broken links which will never be fixed [as I no longer have ftp/web access]... so... look at it anyway... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:59:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: They Might Be Smokers? BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > > TMBG partake in the following drugs: Alcohol, Nicotine, and most > important, Caffiene. They smoke? How have I missed this piece of information? Has this been posted before? Is it just one of Them, or both? -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:34:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: they might have addictions, unrelated things... BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > > TMBG partake in the following drugs: Alcohol, Nicotine, and most > important, Caffiene. ::stands up:: hi, my name is sarah, and i'm a caffiene addict. anyone else here ever heard of waterjoe? i love that stuff man, tastes like regular water, but it's pumped with 200+ g of caffeine.... i'm looking at my ice magazine, with has a thing about release dates at the upper right hand corner, and who's pic do i see? they, a john henry promo pic with linnel's outstretched arm....wow, made my day... speaking of upcoming releases, phish's next album "billy breathes" comes out oct.15, a week after tmbg's new one... sarah ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 30 Aug 1996 14:53:28 EST Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 Regarding Linnel's instrumentability... If you can play any woodwind (flute,clarinet,sax) you can play them all... Beleive me, I can. I am a trained sax player that can play flute and clarinet, as well as tin folk whistles... And the same usually goes for keyboards, but Accordian is harder because of the buttons.... ------------------------------ Date: 30 Aug 96 18:17:43 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Whole bunch o stuff Ok this is gonna be fun, so sit back and relax. First of all, IF there is a superfried freaksicle coming out, I know that I'll have to buy it even though I'll most likely have everything on it. They might throw in some weird stuff, but this is what I think would be on it. Welcome to the Jungle Jim I blame you Moving to the sun(boy I love that song) (hopefully not either of The Guitar mixes) The Joshua F. Istanbul and acctual size mixes Mrs. Train She was a hotel detective Ondine James K. Polk(I hear this is on FS though) Ant I forgot some stuff, but oh well. Well..... For anyone going to the Boston show on the 8th I have some details. It is free, They will probably perform second and the two other bands are Morphine and Cardigans. They concert starts at 6:00 If anyone else is going, please e-mail me. About TMBG becoming trendy, it's true. If you've ever seen any of there pre flood videos, they are so carefree and happy. And if you've ever heard the frank o'toole show, It's quite amusing when they talk. The whole thing about Linnel being in the hall is pretty funny. And if anyone has any of there other radio apperiances, please E-mail me for a possible trade. That's all. Rob, who wonders what hapenned to T-H-E-Y-G-O-T-L-O-S-T. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 21:37:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG article compilation book thingie majiggie Fransburger!! I would love to own one if this does take place. I already have a huge binder full of Kids in the Hall related articles. I have some TMBG cartoons I drew, that I could contribute to it just to add some...variety. :) Some are pretty good (especially the one with Flans smashing Linnell in the head with a guitar--and before I'm flamed--I love Linnell, it's just comedy--relax!), and some aren't that great, but the premises are just too damn funny (ex- a Rabid Child running after Linnell while he's innocently buying coffee)! And one is Linnell with a lawnmower chasing a squirrel (sound familiar, guys ?), but the funny part is, the lawnmower says "Dial-A-Lawn" and there's a coffee mug falling off the top of the mower. And the last cartooon is entitled "They Might Be Old Men Johns" with my rendition of the Johns in their 70's. Flans has his funny shaped guitar in his arms as he's sitting in his wheel chair, and Linnell has a keyboard atop his walker ("A walk and play, walk and play"...sorry, that's a KITH reference you guys probably won't understand...). Let me know if I should add my 2 cents worth of drawrings. Hey! We should just compile a book of John drawings itself! There's an idea! Oh, I have a tiny article to contribute. It's a review of John Henry in CMJ magazine. And a side note: the rain falls down *with* my help I'm afraid, because it's my birthday on Monday the 2nd! Yaaay! :) (wow, that rhymes!) -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "To change would mean.....to make an effort!" - Dave Foley, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:36:21 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: richmond show i'll call my source monday and see if he can find out anything else(exact price, tickets, the other bands playing, and the close as possible time it starts and They are playing). one thing i didn't mention before: my source said it wouldn't sell out. it's outside, and there're no seats, just lawn. think we have to bring blankets and things(until we stand for They). BTW: how did some of you get Their demo tape? i want it!!! "if you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first". -Kurt C. blowing bubble tape fruitiness, Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:43:53 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: Control Freak On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > related and unrelated things. And let us hope that threads like the Butknob > and Mr. Blobby (if anyone is still around from that one) never happen agian. Sorry to see you leave...from the one who started the whole Blobby thread. Just say No to Buttknobs. BlueDawg ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Protix.. Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:56:33 -0400 (EDT) Tixbastards probably isn't doing the Richmond show, but Protix might. I'm not sure if they reach as far south as Richmond tho. I know in Maryland and DC you can go to Protix events. Also, I know Protix is based in Northern Virginia (or at least Ithink so), but I'm not sure if they cover Richmond. Tis worth a try. I believe they have a 1-800 number on their webpage. The only other option would be to call the club directly. I hope the club isn't exclusively selling tix cause then we'd have to find someone who lived in Richmond. blah Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:15:02 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: They Might Be Smokers? On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Sean Kinlin wrote: > > BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > > > > TMBG partake in the following drugs: Alcohol, Nicotine, and most > > important, Caffiene. > > They smoke? How have I missed this piece of information? Has this > been posted before? Is it just one of Them, or both? Methinks it was discussed on the newsgroup....but I believe that it is the whole band....Why does it really matter? Bluedawg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:17:11 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: they might have addictions, unrelated things... On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Sarah Kunz wrote: > BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > > > > TMBG partake in the following drugs: Alcohol, Nicotine, and most > > important, Caffiene. > > ::stands up:: hi, my name is sarah, and i'm a caffiene addict. anyone > else here ever heard of waterjoe? i love that stuff man, tastes like > regular water, but it's pumped with 200+ g of caffeine.... Yes, I use it in the Espresso machine at the Radio Station....:) Uh, hi, I'm BlueDawg, and I'm so addicted to caffiene, that I'm always shaking. DawgLeBleu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:18:22 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: "BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net)" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 On 30 Aug 1996 WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu wrote: > Regarding Linnel's instrumentability... > > If you can play any woodwind (flute,clarinet,sax) you can play > them all... Beleive me, I can. I am a trained sax player that can play > flute and clarinet, as well as tin folk whistles... And the same usually > goes for keyboards, but Accordian is harder because of the buttons.... I was able to figure everything out, except for the clarinet....I just don't have the lips for it. I like the loose-lipped bari sax best. :)~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:32:39 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: spaceman drummer guy >That brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. That guy >in the space suit in the statue got me high video is playing a snare >drum. His motions definitely coincide with the snare on the song(I'm a >drummer). So, if They used a drum machine back then, the big question >is who is that guy? Just wondering. Probably just an actor used for effect. A similar thing can be seen in the Crane video, when they brought in three old guys to fake playing the bass, drums and keyboards for the video just to be kooky. Or, again, all those people in the Guitar video at the end. I expect that those people aren't really performing the guitar parts to the song. :-) -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 00:39:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Aug-96 tmbg-list Digest #2-236 by WarChild@sciboard.spd.lo > If you can play any woodwind (flute,clarinet,sax) you can play > them all... Beleive me, I can. I am a trained sax player that can play > flute and clarinet, as well as tin folk whistles... And the same usually > goes for keyboards, but Accordian is harder because of the buttons.... Not true. Saxophone and Clarinet are different in that one has open valves and the other has closed valves (these being the default values, that is - pardon the computer geek terminology :). Also, the Oboe and some others have double reeds, and are therefore played differently. But for the most part, you're right. It's not like going from a wind to a brass... Well, about 2 years ago I started learning how to play the accordion, after having played piano for 10 years. The keyboard part was phenomenally easy. I originally made a chart of the buttons, but now I know them pretty well. If you're familiar with some introductory theory, the buttons are arranged in a circle of fifths, and C is usually marked (if 3 buttons are marked, C is the middle one). So up from C are G, D, A, etc. And down from it are F, Bb, Eb, Ab, etc. The row closest to the bellows (if there are 6 rows) is offset a third from these. So the corresponding button next to C is E, G - B, etc. The second row are the individual notes as described above. Then there are four rows of chords (usually) that progress as Major, Minor, Dom. 7th, Diminished. Since there are 12 notes in the chromatic scale, and 6 rows of buttons, you'd need 72 buttons to have everything covered. John's accordion has 96 (at least that's what it looked like), which means there are 24 (12 on top and 12 on bottom) that are duplicates, and almost never played. Mine has 120, which means there's lots of duplication and very little control of the bellows when playing those duplicated buttons. (sorry about the long tangent, I just felt like being informative. Someone will read it) Also, as far as I can tell, John doesn't use the buttons much any more. I think he still uses them in Subliminal and Maybe I Know. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-237 ******************************