Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-238 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 238 Sunday, 1 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: they might have addictions, unrelated things... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 re: my precious hat Re: They Might Be Smokers? re: webpages Re: Re: They Might Be Smokers?... and Richmond tix The style of Factory Showroom question Disappointment + OAT Did you ever notice...... On drawings & such..... Re: The style of Factory Showroom Re: The style of Factory Showroom Re: Disappointment + OAT Re: Disappointment + OAT hello cd Re: The style of Factory Showroom a little organizational stuff Re: On drawings & such..... Re: The style of Factory Showroom Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 31 Aug 96 09:06:41 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: they might have addictions, unrelated things... --- Bluedawgiedawg wrote: DawgLeBleu --- end of quoted material --- I'm sorry, but I think that it would be... Le Chien bleu Thank you for your time ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:54:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-236 > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Aug-96 tmbg-list Digest #2-236 by > WarChild@sciboard.spd.lo > > If you can play any woodwind (flute,clarinet,sax) you can play > > them all... Beleive me, I can. I am a trained sax player that can play > > flute and clarinet, as well as tin folk whistles... And the same usually > > goes for keyboards, but Accordian is harder because of the buttons.... yeah, i am (was) a clarinet player, and picked up stuff on the sax and flute pretty easily.....now when i tried french horn, well, that was just funny.... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:01:18 -0500 (CDT) From: JAM (Jamal O Rogers) Subject: re: my precious hat I too have a tmbg hat that I would be willing to part with for a kool trade. contact me with your best offer. j, the mysterious ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:35:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: Re: They Might Be Smokers? On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, BlueDawg (idiotnot@visi.net) wrote: > On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Sean Kinlin wrote: > > > > They smoke? How have I missed this piece of information? Has this > > been posted before? Is it just one of Them, or both? > > Methinks it was discussed on the newsgroup....but I believe that it is > the whole band....Why does it really matter? Um, well, I don't want to see them die of lung cancer. Besides, smoking hurts ones ability to play wind instruments, doesn't it? -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:38:26 -0400 (EDT) From: metrasm@vivanet.com (MDM) Subject: re: webpages >Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:33:09 -0500 (CDT) >From: Jonnie Coffman >Subject: web pages > > Does anyone out there know some cool web pages for TMBG? > > JONNIE COFFMAN, KC5JFS > yeah, www.vivanet.com/~metrasm/tmbg.html *----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Matt Metras metrasm@vivanet.com http://www.vivanet.com/~metrasm metrasm@juno.com MDM on Undernet, EICN and ZeroNET mdm@tmbg.org Manager of #TMBG on Undernet and EICN dinnerbell@tmbg.org IRCop on EICN and ZeroNET mdm@narnia.mhv.net Proud Member of The 4 Horsemen of EICN *------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 15:05:30 -0400 Subject: Re: Re: They Might Be Smokers?... and Richmond tix >> > They smoke? How have I missed this piece of information? Has this > been posted before? Is it just one of Them, or both? Methinks it was discussed on the newsgroup....but I believe that it is the whole band....Why does it really matter? Bluedawg<< It doesn't, but so what? It's more interesting than buttknobs. Regarding Richmond tickets: I called protix and the lady who answered told me "We already sold There May Be Giants tickets for the 9:30 club show, you'll have to get them straight from the club." So I said "Thanks, Gloria," and hung up. :) So... who lives in Richmond who loves us? Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:27:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: The style of Factory Showroom Hi. I am Josh. This is my first time posting to the list, been reading for a while though. I would like to comment on what has been said regarding the supposed fighting between the Johns and the "popular radio air-play" style of Factory Showroom. I have recently d/l'd and listened to .wavs of SEXXY and Metal Detector(!!!) and I was also at the 9:30 club concert. Although SEXXY is not one of my favorite songs, I still like it. Metal Detector is already just about my favorite song of all time. For Metal Detector at least, it does not sound like TMBG is compromising their unique style at all. In fact at first I felt it was more like the songs on their earlier albums. Many of the other songs from Factory Showroom which I heard at the concert also seemed to be classic TMBG. Agree or disagree? Also, about the Johns fighting. I don't know what the story is, but doing this tour by driving around in a van is a tough thing to do. I am sure they get irritable and fight occasionally. I have not seen any signs to show that it is something serious. Most public comments I have seen from either one seem very amicable. Wellllll....that's it! Josh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:27:18 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: question any news about TMBG playing in Chicago anytime soon? may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Subject: Disappointment + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:42:38 EDT I've been thinking about about the line in Avalanche or Roadblock that goes like this "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments"... I've been thinking maybe it's just a bad pun or maybe it's referring to something specific... I've been thinking a specific profession, in which case it could very well be referring to an abortion doctor, as in, they are disappointed for various reasons and have made an appointment... it sounds rather unsettling... oh well, I didn't write it... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): I want to specially thank anyone who has ever mentioned the band Madness in the various Ska/Two-tone discussions on this list... I just picked up their self-titled album after discovering they played "Our House"... what a great song... anyway, it was the mention of the name here that made me pick up the cd to look at in the store... I had expected a sort of 2 dimensional punk thing, but this is really good... go check them out... Another bonus, I got it for 8.47 (tax incl.) new! =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "Get a good look Costanza?" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 17:25:26 PST Subject: Did you ever notice...... From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) Ok, this is a weird one - between the second and third verses of The Devil Went Down to Newport, there is a small voice that sounds like a backwards message. My brother checked it for me, and he said that it didn't make sense backwards, but if you slow it down a little (forwards), it sounds like the voice is saying "what's that?" (I don't know, I wasn't home.) Just some fun schitt, Nette :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 17:41:09 PST Subject: On drawings & such..... From: internette@juno.com (Nette Frost) I have some TMBG cartoons I drew, that I could contribute to it just to add some...variety. :) Hey! We should just compile a book of John drawings itself! There's an idea! If you're interested, I have a collection of Magic cards that I created with a TMBG theme. There are several done with what I think the Titles of a song suggest, but for the Particle Man card (3/2 flying and island walk..... if ya care....) I just did a sketch of the guys. It's cute. My boyfriend calls it the Flanny card. Odd..... I call it the Linnell card........ ANYWAY, if this artwork collection is gonna happen, I'll make the drawings available on my WebPage. I think you'll dig I Palindrome I........ Nette Who, for reference, has her page at http://www.trenton.edu/~frost check out the TMBG background. I'm setting up a "Worship Them" page soon, too......... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:49:42 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: The style of Factory Showroom On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Josh wrote: > Many of the other songs from Factory Showroom which I heard at the concert > also seemed to be classic TMBG. Agree or disagree? Now don't hurt me for this, but I would like to disagree that there is a "classic TMBG" style. There have been definite progressions from one album to the next, and I think that each album can stand on it's own. For example, the John Henry style that many people had a problem with was actually just the next step in the evolution of the TMBG style. Can anyone still say that John Henry is not TMBG? In my opinion every album is like a child, with it's own personality and quirks. I do agree that there is a "TMBG spirit" that links each song and each album, as well as the trademark voices of the Johns. But to say that this new album is MORE like the "classic style" may be inaccurate. Unless, of course, there is a specific album or "era" which can be clearly defined as the "classic TMBG." My mind is not closed on this topic. I would like to hear people's opinions about what exactly defines the "classic TMBG." I am fully aware of the differences between the first album and John Henry, but there are also distinct differences between each of the other albums and the ones preceding and following them. I think Factory Showroom is TMBG, and not any more or less TMBG than any of the others, if that makes any sense. Well, hope this sparks some good discussion. Or at least some, "damn that Nola is a dumbass," discussion. :) Nola ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The style of Factory Showroom From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:54:22 EDT On Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:27:45 -0400 (EDT) Josh writes: >I have recently d/l'd and listened to .wavs of SEXXY and Metal >Detector(!!!) and I was also at the 9:30 club concert. Wait, hold it right there, where did you download these? .sig ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:56:22 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: Disappointment + OAT On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Ruprecht Jee wrote: > that goes like this "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any > appointments"... I've been thinking maybe it's just a bad pun or maybe Whenever I think of this line I think of someone very sad and friendless, who, if it weren't for the disappointment in the state of his/her life, would not have anything. Disappointment is his/her only distraction because he/she does indeed have nowhere to go and no one with whom to be appointed. Nola/Nolae ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 19:59:51 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Re: Disappointment + OAT On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, *groovechild* wrote: > would not have anything. Disappointment is his/her only > distraction because he/she does indeed have nowhere to go and no one with > whom to be appointed. As for the line "if it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" .. I don't read too far into it, but the only appointment they have is disappointment, because "appointment" appears in the word "disappointment". The person whose point of view it is in the song is disappointed at their position in life, or some such thing ... but the main thing of that line is what I said above. As for the Factory Showroom/album progression thread: I do agree that a group's style progresses from one album to the next, but I also think that TMBG might be progressing too far. They have a full band and in my opinion that has enabled them to have the fuller, more complete sound, but also seems to have decreased the "fun factor" that comes out so well in the first few albums. I liked John Henry immensely, but it isn't by far my most favorite (it might be my least favorite even...). My favorite is Apollo 18, which was an album where this "fun factor" came out rather well, song after song. Now TMBG is progressing more with FS, longer songs, less tracks ... we can all gripe and whine and complain that TMBG is going mainstream, maybe they are. But so what? Still TMBG. Still our most favorite band (or at least mine :) Nothing will change that, not even if TMBG did something similar to what REM did -- going from a _good_ style [Automatic] to a poor style [Monster]. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 19:17:08 -0500 (CDT) From: JAM (Jamal O Rogers) Subject: hello cd if anyone has a copy of the laura cantrell hello cd and would be willing to make me a copy, please let me know. I don't really have anything to trade, but i'm sure we could work something out. -j, the mysterious ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:37:40 -0400 Subject: Re: The style of Factory Showroom << Now don't hurt me for this, but I would like to disagree that there is a "classic TMBG" style. There have been definite progressions from one album to the next, and I think that each album can stand on it's own. For example, the John Henry style that many people had a problem with was actually just the next step in the evolution of the TMBG style. Can anyone still say that John Henry is not TMBG?>> Yes, yes, I couldnt' agree more! JH was the first TMBG cd I bought, and the "TMBG spirit" that you mention came through loud and clear. That's why I couldn't pick a favorite cd, either--I couldn't live without any of 'em! BTW, I was asking a record store clerk here in Miami if they were going to be getting the new TMBG single, and he couldn't find anything. He said, "Well, they're a _northern_ band." Hrrrmph! Kay, who can't believe TMBG _will_ be opening for Hootie and the Blowfish after all (according to _Billboard_ magazine, anyway) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:46:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: a little organizational stuff to all of you who have offered/are planning on offering me articles for this collection: thank you, first of all, and second of all... will you all please send me (via email): the date, title of the article, and the magazine from which it came (or newspaper)...before i actually have people send me things via snail-mail i want to make sure i'm not wasting anyone's time with obtaining duplicates...i will also compile a comprehensive list of what i have, and then anyone else with other stuff not on my list will know to offer it... remember, the more articles sent to me, the more complete and rewarding a document this will be... (if i only get like 10 articles, i may have to call it quits, so keep that in mind!) thanks so much for your generosity and willingness, everyone! --fransburghermeister ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 23:47:11 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: On drawings & such..... I found myself really bored this summer, and decided to paint a mural on my wall. Tis the cover of the pink album :) AmY =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 AmY (seta) amy@tmbg.org/*/anangel@tmbg.org www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 **This message means nothing more than "meow" to an animal** =A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7*=A7 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The style of Factory Showroom From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 00:36:06 EDT On Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:49:42 -0400 (EDT) *groovechild* writes: >Unless, of course, there is a specific album or "era" which can be >clearly >defined as the "classic TMBG." Was just having a discussion about this- pre 1989... Everyone bow down and worship John Henry... "I'd like tmbg even if they got sex changes and became an Oasis rip-off" Disclaimer: it only seems like I'm only crack, but in reality it's just that my mind has been influenced by very powerful and cynical forces... I'm not naming any names though... .sig ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-238 ******************************