Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 24 Wednesday, 24 January 1996 Today's Topics: Hello Every body Max just a few thangs for y'all. End of the Tour The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Re: About "Whirlpool" i'm sorry, i made a mistake. Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-23 Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Hello Every body Date: Tue, 23 Jan 96 11:18:00 PST Well hello there my fine furry friends. I have been on this mailing list for about 2 weeks. And well, you guys over in phillie and that general area are allways talking about songs that I HAVE NEVER NEARD OF.. I would really be intersted in getting copies of them. I could pay for the tape, and the shipping and handling. Any ways. I have acess to one of those things that can write onto CD's, and I want to compile all of their rarities onto one CD. I would call it TMBG RARITIES. Then every one could listen to their un heard of songs, ( b sides/live perfomences.. etc...) Any ways please mail me lists if you would be interested. A copy of the new CD could be sent back. (maybe) Brensink@bhs3.bham.wednet.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:18:30 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Max Organization: Meharry Medical College Hi! My six-year-old (to be seven in February) son, Max, was gallavanting around the house naked on all fours the other evening after his bath, and when he came up to me, jumping and bouncing around, I said, "Hey there, froggy!" His expression immediately soured as he stood and, with a slightly hurt but still mischievous look on his face, said "I'm not a frog, Dad... I'M A MONKEY WITH NO TAIL!!!" Then he yelped like a howler and resumed jumping around naked. Mammal is his fave TMBG song. He knows all the words and loves to sing along with Them when I drive him to school every morning. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"Seems that when some innocent die, Nashville TN USA | All we can offer them is a page in some magazine, hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| Too many cameras, and not enough food-- | 'Cause this is what we've seen."--The Police ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 16:41:32 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: just a few thangs for y'all. > So what's the word on Tony? from what i hear, he's got his own stuff on the side or something that he wanted to do full time. i know some of the horn players had their own gigs as well (n.y. band "spanish fly" if you saw the hello club thing). and maybe Tony is back with Moxy Fruvous, but that's pure speculation and couldn't stand up in any court of law. > The ALMOST didn't do the conga, but > in the middle of the song they decided to go with it anyway. they didn't do the conga line at the D.C. show. i had a feeling that they almost did it, but didn't go through with it. > Here, HEre! Do either of the John have Girlfriends? my friend Paul and i had a theory that at least one of them did, and that she was located in the baltimore/D.C. metro area, because during this period of time of a few months, i think they did 3 shows in the area. (i got to 2 of them) and we figured that the only reason why they came to the area so many times was because of a significant other. > But I can only imagine that They would sound kinda lame on those horn > tunes without the horns! TMBG could never sound lame. remember that when they started, they didn't have a drummer or a horn section or any regular bassist. it's not about getting worse without the others, it's just when they're all together, is when the true magic happens and you're elevated to a higher plane of being, just from listening to them. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:27:09 -0500 (EST) From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Subject: End of the Tour Hey- I remember reading somewhere that John L said the song was about an accident he got into on 1-91 somewhere in CT, with some drunk teenage girls. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't find their own meaning.... -Andy P.S. What's this about a show every Thursday in March at the Mecury Lounge??? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:54:10 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Hmm..... at least one may still be free and unattatched..... and loose in the city!! Yay! There's hope yet, girlfriends! I'm not desparate (yet), 'Nette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:28:28 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Frosty the Supervisor wrote: > Hmm..... at least one may still be free and unattatched..... and loose in > the city!! Yay! There's hope yet, girlfriends! > I get dibs on Flansburgh if it's him. He always _was_ my favorite, after all. But this isn't a meat market...:) -Jenny ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 20:11:13 -0500 (EST) > > > > On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Frosty the Supervisor wrote: > > > Hmm..... at least one may still be free and unattatched..... and loose in > > the city!! Yay! There's hope yet, girlfriends! > > > I get dibs on Flansburgh if it's him. He always _was_ my favorite, after > all. But this isn't a meat market...:) I agree about Flans being the cooler (although Linnell is awesome too), I tend to get on the Flans side of the concert most of the time. I don't agree, though, on going out with him ;) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: About "Whirlpool" Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 19:05:37 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Benjamin Hauck: >I had spent the longest time trying to distinguish who's singing in the >TMBG version of "Whirlpool." I had thought that one person sang the whole >song, but now I disagree. I believe that Flansburgh is singing the first >half of the song, and then Linnell is singing the second half. Their >voices to my ear sound very similar in this song--somewhat distant and >muffled. From my Who Sings What list: Whirlpool: L, F Circle the word "Whirlpool" and discuss with your classmates. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:00:25 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: i'm sorry, i made a mistake. In my lack of coherence (and a good night sleep) i said something about Tony Maimone and Moxy Fruvous. what i ment to say was him and Pere Ubu. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. i will punish myself severly for this one. (not that i mind or anything) ;) may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 00:09:43 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: The theory about J&J having girlfriends. >> I get dibs on Flansburgh if it's him. He always _was_ my favorite, after >> all. But this isn't a meat market...:) >I agree about Flans being the cooler (although Linnell is awesome too), >I tend to get on the Flans side of the concert most of the time. I don't >agree, though, on going out with him ;) >Matt i always go for the opposite side of the concert! Linnell, all the way. well, we're all entitled to our favorite TMBG John. :) jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'i should be allowed to blurt the merest idea if by random whim one occurs to me' -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:57:43 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-23 I'd just like to say... I will date the girl from venus! err... well maybe I wouldn't say that much, but i did like your interp. of The End of The Tour...I had never thought of it in quite that way...It is one of the best I have heard so far...WooHoo! -Nathan (Linnel) University of Vermont *------------------------------------------------------------------------ For reason ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction. Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing; And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes. -Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-24 *****************************