Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-242 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 242 Thursday, 5 September 1996 Today's Topics: You sound like Ernie Linnell Re: shuffle oddities Boba Mail Re: The style of Factory Showroom Boba Mail: The style of Factory Showroom THE ADVANTAGES OF ARRIVING EARLY I have just finished talking Re: I have just finished talking RE: shuffle oddities They Might Be Headlining linnell a18 hair RE: I have just finished talking /shuffle mode probabilities The discussion, I believe, was Re: Spider Factory Showroom date? Re: ernie sings TMBG? Snowball in Hell S-E-X-X-Y interp Re: S-E-X-X-Y interp Spider&Turn Around Request Re: TMBG tourism Richmond info # going to Brown University? RE:Spider How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Spider T-shirt Jessica UHF muppets spy ska? not. CD shuffle math Scanners Re: CD shuffle math Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-241 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 19:28:24 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: You sound like Ernie Linnell I can never recall Bert and Ernie from Seasame Street having last names... Well, I think we can safely call them Bert Flansburgh and Ernie Linnell after all this recent talk about them. Cyas, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: shuffle oddities Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 8:57:04 EDT From: John Pletikapich >SHUFFLE ODDITY: >Strange but true, the other >day I played John Henry on >shuffle play and the first >four songs played in sequence! > Any actuaries out there that >can tell me the probability of >this? If A18 has 38 tracks the chance of track one being played first is 1/38. The chance of track 2 being played at that point is 1/37 (the number of tracks left). Of course, track 3 has a 1/36 chance and track 4 has a 1/35 chance. So the final probability is 1/(38*37*36*35) = 1/1771560. Or am I missing something? BTW, I have a JVC multi-disc changer and, in random mode, it will play play one random selection from each of the discs (themselves selected in random order). It seems that at this point all of the pertinent data has been read from the discs, and then the order of play is completely unpredictable, with the exception that songs are NOT repeated. (I have tested this out specifically when I bought the thing several years ago, and had time to carry out such tests.) -- john ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:00:10 EST Subject: Boba Mail I just returned from Labor Day Vacation to find 144 messages. I'm skipping Math Class to read them all! Someone Wrote: > I forgot to mention, I was watching a video my friend had taped of > Nick Rocks from 1988 or 1989 in which the Johns hosted and they played > the Ana Ng video but the video information said: > Ana Ang > bad bad! > Matt > -- They guy who puts the words on the screen probably thought it was a typo. "What's an Ng?" (-probably not verbatim) Someone wrote: > That's because A18 has 38 tracks, so there's a higher probability of it > being selected. Most CD players will store information about each CD > before shuffling - it speeds performance - so they can select a specific > track on a specific CD before actually switching discs. So if you > consider: > > TMBG: 19 > Lincoln: 18 > Flood: 19 > A18: 38 > JH: 20 > > There's a 38/114 = 1/3 = 33.333% chance of hearing something from Apollo > 18. But there shouldn't be, right? You'd expect the CD player to > select a CD first, then a track, giving you a 1/5 = 20% chance of > hearing something from any of the CDs. I'm not sure how they work, > though... > A shuffle mode will go through the (however many) CDs in the changer. It will play one song from each CD, storing info about the CD at the time. Using this information it will make each of the CDs end around the same time. It may play songs sequentially on a certain CD if it has more tracks. MOST Changers operate this way. yadda yadda yadda AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I'm drained. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Leave Me Alone!" -They Might Be Giants boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:11:59 -0400 Subject: Re: The style of Factory Showroom In a message dated 96-08-31 18:53:05 EDT, you write: >what exactly defines the "classic TMBG." Well, for me it was anything pre-John Henry....before they had a full band, and when the accordian was more a part of the sound. I haven't heard the new one though, so I cannot say. Oh yeah, and I have a flexi-disc with "Moving to the Sun" by TMBG on one side, and XTC, Rip Van Rueben on the other....It is from Reflex Magazine (now out of circulation). Anyone interested in a trade, let me know. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:31:33 EST Subject: Boba Mail: The style of Factory Showroom > In a message dated 96-08-31 18:53:05 EDT, Raldus write: > > >what exactly defines the "classic TMBG." > > Well, for me it was anything pre-John Henry....before they had a full band, > and when the accordian was more a part of the sound. I haven't heard the new > one though, so I cannot say. On this note I would like to offer my opinion. I love John Henry. I think it is a much more natural sound. The instruments parts are so much more definable than in the Bar None era. I love to play Their songs on the guitar, bass, and keyboard. The songs on John Henry allowed me to do this without much difficulty. This enhanced my 'play it by ear' talent to the point that I can now figure out most songs in one setting. This album has some of the greatest songs I've ever heard, i.e. No One Knows..., Out Of Jail, AKA, Subliminal, ASelfCN, and Extra Savoir-Faire just to name a few. It was also this record that cemented They Might Be Giants as my favorite band. This sent me into an upward spiral resulting in my presence here on this list. John Henry is a great album. I have heard some of the songs from the upcoming Factory Showroom. S.E.X.X.Y. The first time you heard this song, (for those who had the pleasure) did you not say 'This kinda sucks.' ? Maybe you didn't, maybe you did or maybe you still do. I did. The point is that like most TMBG songs I've heard I have grown to love it. Not because it is a TMBG song, but because it really is cool! 'Classic Style.' I would think that this means anything that best exemplifies the sound of a certain band. I think that all of their songs do this. I have never heard a TMBG song and said, "Hey, this doesn't sound like Them." Not to sound redundant, but They are They, and that is what They are. Thank you for your time. Have a most pleasant afternoon. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Subject: THE ADVANTAGES OF ARRIVING EARLY Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:51:36 EDT hello one and all, Wow, I am finally back at school and i could hardly wait to check out all my mail that I knew I would have to sort through...but enough of that let me talk about the important stuff.... About 4 weeks ago I went to the TMBG show at the Tradewinds nite-club(awesome place) and my friend and I arrived about a little over an hour early for an 8pm show... So we were walking around when I heard the faint sounds of a accordian coming from inside, so I went to this side glass door where I could see TMBG doing soundcheck...COOL I thought and I proceeded to watch while my friend went to check out a near by beach... After about ten minutes this guy who worked with the band asked if he knew me but I said no...and he went back inside..but a few minutes after that a lighting man named George said that I could come in and if anyone said anything I could just tell them I'm with him...DOUBLE COOL...So now I'm inside with nobody else but the opening act(You were spiraling), TMBG, and stage peoples.... I got to walk around and hear music from every angle, it was like my own personal concert...I even got to hear Flans do a version of "Sonic Producer" also covered one time by Pearl Jam. Well after sound check I put on the guest list and then I asked if I could get some autographs and George said sure....so I began to walk toward the stage door when I saw Brian and him and I talked for like 15 minutes....then I saw Flans who was getting his guitar restrung, and then as I entered the door I came face to face with Linnell... We looked at each other until I reached out and shook his hand and introduced my self....he was eating a carrot stick at the time...I talked to him for about 2 minutes before he said he was just trying to unwind so I left him to relax and shook his hand good bye. I still didn't get my autographs so I went back to George and he talked the stage manager and about ten minutes later I received a chord sheet with the message: ROCK ON ANTHONY... and then their sigs at the bottom done with a cartoony flavor...I now have this in my room framed along with my unused ticket since I got in for free... Just to finish this and not to make it any longer then it already is I did see LINNELL CARRYING A PACK OF SMOKES....I SAW LINNELL WEARING BLACK THICK RIMMED GLASSES OFF STAGE WHICH I NEVER SAW...AND THE NEW SONGS FROM FACTORY SHOWROOM REALLY ROCKED ESPECIALLY TMBG GET LOST AND ST. MARKS SQUARE.. well I see ya around ant... -- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:54:40 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: I have just finished talking I have just finished talking with an actuarial friend who works at a large fortune 200 insurance company about our shuffle query. Though he wants to recheck his work, his preliminary findings are that on A18, there is a 1 in 50,617 chance that four songs would be played in the correct order. For JH, with only 20 songs, this chance skyrockets to 1 in 6,840, about seven times greater! For the 20 song album, there are 2,432, 902,000,000,000,000 song combinations. WHEW! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 16:15:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: I have just finished talking > shuffle query. Though he > wants to recheck his work, his > preliminary findings are that > on A18, there is a 1 in 50,617 > chance that four songs would > be played in the correct > order. For JH, with only 20 > songs, this chance skyrockets > to 1 in 6,840, about seven > times greater! For the 20 ok, now am i just confused, or what? how is 50,617 7 times smaller than 6,840...? hmmm... --fransbruder ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 20:10:42 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: shuffle oddities >If A18 has 38 tracks the chance of track one being played first is 1/38. >The chance of track 2 being played at that point is 1/37 (the number of >tracks left). Of course, track 3 has a 1/36 chance and track 4 has a 1/35 >chance. >So the final probability is 1/(38*37*36*35) = 1/1771560. All of the above depends on whether your CD Player shuffler would ever try and play the same track twice during a full run, or whether it would try playing all A18 tracks before it started again. If it is a genuine shuffler then I agree with your figures, but if it is purely a random play shuffler then in fact the probability is 1/(38*38*38*38) = 2,085,136 to 1. But in reality, what I want to know is why my UK A18 CD doesn't have Fingertips available as separate tracks but as one track only. Anyone else got that "can't shuffle Fingertips" problem ? ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:55:00 -0400 Subject: They Might Be Headlining Hello 41- Well, I got some info on the Gainsville show, for those that are going, I thought some about shuffle (probably wrong) at the end. Headlining: They Might Be Giants Going on Friday around 11:30, will play 1.5 hours Speech of Arrested Development 20th Anniversary of the Mothership * denotes Mothership stuff... *George Clinton & The P-Funk All-Stars *Bootsy Collins *Bernie Worrell *Parliament *Funkadelic *Brides of Funkenstein *The Landing of the Mothership *Ben Harper Special Guest: For Squirrels & What It Is Big White Undies Spider Monkey Bloom Halcyon Skif Dank Magadog Method Clang Whoreculture Sam Rivers Crustaceans Slack Season Fatty Tea Bags Joe Popp Jacuzzi Suit Joey Sunshine Band Landscaper Freaks Rule Too Skinnee J's Noah's Red Tattoo Day By the River Mindwalk Sugardaddy Crazy Larry Super Sugar Homestyle Gumbi Ortiz Band Grain The Usuals House of Dreams Grit Kisser The Jongluers Manchild Big Sky Mighty Joe Plum Monz Venus Rashaan Foster Those Guys The Miles Day by the River Beginner's Mind The Semantics Tin Angel Big Shirley Gum Wrapper Curb Scramble Campbell plus 15 Acoustic Artists On Friday, doors open at 4 pm, close at 2 am Saturday, open: noon, close 2 am Sunday, open: noon, close midnight. Shuffle, I thought that on the first song, there is a 1:20 chance of being played. The next would have a 1:19, because I don't think shuffle would accept playing the same song twice, and so on, so it might be 1:137180 Nit ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:42:22 -0400 Subject: linnell a18 hair about linnell's a18 phase hair: i'm not too fond of it. I've only seen that 'do in "the guitar" video, and it looked as though it desprately needed a...um...trim. ::duck:: -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 21:21:12 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: I have just finished talking /shuffle mode probabilities >Though he >wants to recheck his work, his >preliminary findings are that >on A18, there is a 1 in 50,617 >chance that four songs would >be played in the correct >order. Actually I made the answer 1 in 50,616 or am I just being horribly pedantic ? Assuming your shuffle player will never play the same song twice, I make the probability (38*37*36*35)/35 = 50,616 or put in more general terms : one chance in ((n!)/(n - r)!)/ (n - r + 1) where n = number of tracks on your CD and r = number of tracks your CD has played correctly in a row Besides, weren't we talking about the probability of the *first* *four* tracks on A18 being played in their correct order ? This is merely calculated as one chance in (n!/(n - r)!) Any other theories ? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:00:20 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: The discussion, I believe, was The discussion, I believe, was on ANY four track being played in sequence, not just the first four, which then opens up an entirely bigger can of worms, tasty as they may be. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Spider Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:23:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Cody J Reynolds: >I have found that playing Spider full bass on a high power sub-woofer >might blow it big time when the explosion comes on. Another good bass-bustin' tune by TMBG is the remix "Larger Than Life", on the "I Palidrome I" EP. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Factory Showroom date? Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 17:33:10 -0500 Anyone know the date of release of Factory Showroom????? Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 19:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: ernie sings TMBG? >> This almost completely irrelevant, but I'm bored. Doesn't that guy >> who's singing on the "and I walk along darkened corridors" section of >> fingertips sound almost exactly like Ernie of Sesame Street fame? My friend Kristen sez it sounds like someone doing a bad impression of Kermit. I've always thought that the voice in "32 Footsteps" sounds like Rolph. Y'know, "Ding dang dingalong" or however that goes. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 19:43:08 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Snowball in Hell At 01:02 PM 9/3/96 -0400, Amy wrote: > I always thought that this line meant that if it wasn't for doing >something and being disappointed with it, that he wouldn't be doing anything >at all. >But then again there are probably 100's of meanings of this line :) AmY Well, I ranted about the incorrectness of limiting the meaning of a lyric a couple of days ago, but the next morning I stumbled upon what I think that line, and pretty much the whole song, is primarily about. The character singing the song is a salesman who's no good at his profession. "Money's all broke and food's going hungry. If it wasn't for dissapointment I wouldn't have any appointments." Salesmen make appointments with prospective clients to convince those people of the worth of their wares. "Have a nice day. You want it when?" That would make him the guy drinking coffee, not making any sales. Another cool thing about this song is that Flansburg (I'm assuming) uses a little bit of "conceptual continuity", a term not unfamiliar to Zappa fans. The impotent salesman is drinking coffee, a longtime TMBG icon. And, more amazingly, "My fantasy is in a xerox shop" sounds a lot like "I've got a crush, copy shop clerk." Werd up. Jason nummer drei. /////////////////////GOOD MUSIC CHEAP\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ##_####_## from | | ## /@ /@ # ___________ | | # ,___\___, < Lookit Meee! ) | | # \+++++/ Records | | ----~| |~---- | | All LP length cassettes!! $5 plus shipping | | write to Jason Nesmith 1226 Stoneybrook Dr. SE | | Atlanta, GA 30316 --or-- | | email jnesmith@mindspring.com for details | visit the Orange Hat cyberhose page!! www.mindspring.com/~jnesmith ------------------------------ Date: 04 Sep 96 20:09:18 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: S-E-X-X-Y interp No one has thought about interprating either of the two readily availible new songs so I thought I'd take a stab. After listening to it for and hour while doing my homework, I have found an idea for one of the lines. " X because your extra, baby. Y because your extra baby." Now this leaves us with S-E-X which is self-explanitory. But the bit about the extras might mean the song is about Hermaphrodites or just people who happen to have, well, extra of one item. There has been talk of the Johns reaching a new level with this album... But is THIS? what we want? Drinking a milkshake, Rob ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y interp Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:17:27 -0700 I think the X and Y refer to chromosomes. SEX and then X and Y determine which SEX you are. Get it? > No one has thought about interprating either of the two readily availible new > songs so I thought I'd take a stab. > > After listening to it for and hour while doing my homework, I have found an > idea for one of the lines. > > " X because your extra, baby. Y because your extra baby." > > Now this leaves us with S-E-X which is self-explanitory. But the bit about the > extras might mean the song is about Hermaphrodites or just people who happen to > have, well, extra of one item. > > There has been talk of the Johns reaching a new level with this album... But is > THIS? what we want? > > Drinking a milkshake, > > Rob ------------------------------ Subject: Spider&Turn Around Request From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 21:11:37 EDT Could someone please send me the cords and lyrics to spider and Turn Around> Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 22:39:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG tourism i try hard not to barge in here with disruptive sillienes but being an nyc resident i gotta suggest: ~64 worlds fair (also really close to the queens panorama of the city which is just plain cool to see) ~st marks place ~dunno if u count all the places in the Cub nyc song cuz its a) not by them and b) not released yet ~er, if u really wanted to u could sorta wonder around brooklyn but that seems a bit silly i know theres something i cant think of but i've got that damn On the Drag song stuck in my head =p someone help... and unless something goes *really* wrong next month should be october.. if they're not on tour i think they usually do something for haloween at least.. hope so! liz the lurker oh yeah- my friend in richmond said tix r $10.. for 10 bands.. sounds good *35 days (i think) till Factory Showroom* (well someone had to start it..) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Richmond info # Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 22:48:33 -0400 (EDT) > mornin > thanks once again to my source, i have a special Number ya'll can > call to get tickets to the Richmond show. but, before you call, i'll > tell you what they told me: there are about 10 bands playing, and it > starts at 11:30 A.M. the guy didn't know when They are playing, but my > source was told around 7 that night(sorry Matt). but ya'll can call and > see if they know anything else. i forgot to ask ticket prices, by the > way. any way here's the number: 804-353-9996 this place is a music > store--it's called Plan 9. Doh, that really sucks. Well I will call anyway and if they can confirm that I will either not go or I will find someone around DC that I can crash at (since I work around DC). Hmm or take off work 8-) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: going to Brown University? Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:00:12 -0400 (EDT) hiyas, Here is another plea for anyone going to Brown Uni whether attending school there or just going to see TMBG in Providence, RI, please say any info this way on this show. I'd much appreciate it. Thanks, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 23:17:30 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: RE:Spider Bass songs: Why must I be sad? Birdhouse in your Soul (Even I was startled) Unrelated Thing The Statue Got Me High Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head Snail Dust (Well Duh?) Why Does The Sun Shine? (A Bass song which isn't based on drums) The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Remade) Just try them in your car\headphones\home-security alarms etc. Watching Birdhouse Repeatedly (Got my video) Brother John Blackhawk :> "And thus ends my 6 year wait to see Birdhouse in your soul, the video." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:25:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: How Can I Sing Like A Girl? As I was listening to my new tape with "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?" today (thanks, Pat!), I was suddenly struck by the fact that I was humming along with the chorus. After some searching and hard thinking, I realized why: just as "Ondine" stole the song's title, HCISLaG stole the chorus melody from the old Dial-A-Song "Don't Make Me Kill You Again." Usually TMBG seem to be above this kind of cannibalism (the above case with Ondine and the recreating of Free Bird Rebirth into I Blame You nonwithstanding.) I have to wonder what caused JF to suddenly break out a three year-old John Henry reject and (heavily) rewrite it into the odd teen anthem that is SLaG. Oh well... ...BTW, The Bells Are Ringing is a *great* song, and so is Metal Detector. Downloading the S-E-X-X-Y clip now to hear the studio version...I can't believe I have to wait another month to get the album, it's going to be *soooooo* good. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:55:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Spider T-shirt Someone named Queen Sneepy wrote: > Oh! And, I went to the movie theater the other day, and there was a guy > wearing the Spider t-shirt! I was so excited I forgot to get my change > from the ticket girl (and now I'm short $4.75!). Wow! I don't know why I haven't thought of this before, but I wanted to know if anyone knows where I can get one of these! I saw the design on the web last year, and I sent a letter to the address. My letter was promptly returned b/c the place had moved and the forwarding address had run out. I was really bummed, I love Spider! I wanted it to be my alias but it was already taken. :( Anyhow, any info would be greatly appreciated, even though the *last* thing I need is another t-shirt... Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:11:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Jessica I was listening to my favorite classic rock station on the radio today, while delivering pizzas (what a great job, eh?) and suddenly, I heard a very familiar song. It took me a second to figure it out, but then I recognized that it was the original version of Jessica by the Allman Bros. Band! It was really neat, I've never heard the original before. It's a lot longer than the TMBG version, and uses a lot of keyboard in the middle section. I couldn't pick a fave version between the two, because they're both good. Just thought I'd share :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org "Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address..." - TMBG ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:29:10 -0400 (EDT) Subject: UHF >Quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever read on this digest (no offense to >anything everyone ese has ever written)! > >But who can forget, "A Twinky-Weiner Sandwich!" Or, "But you don't >understand, that's my mop!" Or, "I'm thinkin of somethin orange... somethin >orange... give up? It's an orange! Ok, Ok, I'm thinkin of somethin blue. >Somethin blooooooooooo!" > >"Gimme a steak, medium-rare." > >"You're so stuuuuuupad!" > >Mark Personally, I think the highlight is the DEVO spoof, but that's probably because I'm such a spudess... Seriously, though, if you see the "We're All Devo" tape, he busts on every single video and bumper on the tape in one 3-minute segment in the movie. The only scene that can come close to topping that is: "...you get to drink from... THE FIRE HOSE!!!!!" stevie. "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:33:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: muppets >I always thought it sounded like Kermit the Frog, but it was probably the >same person doing both voices. > >Amy :) Yeah, he was named Jim Henson and he's dead. stevie. "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:36:33 -0400 (EDT) Subject: spy ska? not. >Anyone want to try to decide what genre of music Spy is? >As much as I want it to be ska just because I can skank to it, >I doubt it. > You're right; it's not. To me it is the essence of a '60s spy show theme, a funky bassline, but not at all Jamaican. Besides, the horns are too soulful and not poppy enough. I know this is a lot of messages in a row, but school just started and I meet my students tomorrow. Yikes! stevie. "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1993 23:02:44 -0700 Subject: CD shuffle math John Pletikapich >>SHUFFLE ODDITY: >>Strange but true, the other >>day I played John Henry on >>shuffle play and the first >>four songs played in sequence! >> Any actuaries out there that >>can tell me the probability of >>this? >If A18 has 38 tracks the chance of track one being played first is 1/38. >The chance of track 2 being played at that point is 1/37 (the number of >tracks left). Of course, track 3 has a 1/36 chance and track 4 has a >1/35 >chance. >So the final probability is 1/(38*37*36*35) = 1/1771560. >Or am I missing something? >BTW, I have a JVC multi-disc changer and, in random mode, it will play >play one random selection from each of the discs (themselves selected >in random order). It seems that at this point all of the pertinent >data has been read from the discs, and then the order of play is >completely >unpredictable, with the exception that songs are NOT repeated. (I have >tested this out specifically when I bought the thing several years ago, >and had time to carry out such tests.) >-- >john Nope, you forgot stuff in your equation. It would be 38!/4! which comes to 21,792,609,061,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. It's not just a question of what the probability of taking that song out of the mix is, it's the probability of it happening in that order as well, which is a permutation notated as subscript n P subscript r. It is one out of however many possible ways there are to arrange it. I'll explain some. If you have three hats going to three people, there is a one out of three factorial chance that they'll all get their own hats. The hats could be arranged in six possible ways. (ABC BCA CAB BAC ACB CBA) The numbers just grow if you have more hats than people. These occurances are therefore, VERY rare. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 19:11:47 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Scanners >>>You know, it really took me a minute to figure out why a scanner would make >it difficult for you to sleep. I spend too much time playing with computers, >I guess...<< > >Me too! I re-read that paragraph over and over..."Why would their scanner be >loud? Why would it be outside? Why would their *computer* be outside?" Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the devices that "scan" radio frequences listening to police radios and protable phones. That is why I have difficulty sleeping. Sarah Cooke "Boys and girls, go up to somebody you know today and tell them about your trousers." --Space Ghost ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:06:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: CD shuffle math Someone named sgleave@btigate.com wrote: > >So the final probability is 1/(38*37*36*35) = 1/1771560. > > >Or am I missing something? > [snip] > Nope, you forgot stuff in your equation. It would be 38!/4! which comes > to 21,792,609,061,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. It's not > just a question of what the probability of taking that song out of the > mix is, it's the probability of it happening in that order as well, > which is a permutation notated as subscript n P subscript r. It is one > out of however many possible ways there are to arrange it. I'll explain > some. Wow, I knew I was a _music_ major for some reason... Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:34:56 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-241 Does anyone know any TMBG accordian Tab? Hillbilly Drumer Girl from the Mono Puff show at Mississippi Nights was a cover of the Young Fresh Fellows song. I was the guy in the Hello shirt second from the stage in the center (about 5 feet from John Flansburgh). I was surprised to see Brian Doherty drumming and Eric Whatever on the other guitar. nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-242 ******************************