Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-243 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 243 Friday, 6 September 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT? Re: UHF Video Bootleg Project Status Re: UHF hey guys (once again!) hello marquette katie get off list Re: get off list They might Play harding? A little off base Gainesville TMBG Show Re: Richmond info # Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) Re: marquette Marquette Re: spy ska? not. Jessica, never heard original...... Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) Taste of DC Ah-HAH! Shep's Kitchen Mix Vol. I is done!! S-E-X-X-Y Re: S-E-X-X-Y Their Videos RE: Jessica, never heard original...... TMBG dream/videos Re: UHF Re: A little off base Re: shuffle oddities + OAT Taste of DC Ah-HAH! Shep's Kitchen Mix Vol. I is done!! Re: I have just finished talking Re: S-E-X-X-Y Re: S-E-X-X-Y Muppet mouth FINAL call us survey results... Re: Spy rox! Release Date Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) 172 songs, sure you think thats alot Spider Explosion Devil Came Down to Newport Re: Their Videos shuffle mode probabilities Re: S-E-X-X-Y I'm an idiot Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot argh! Re: S-E-X-X-Y Hatch Shell... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:28:16 -0700 (MST) From: JWH O.K, I've been here a few days sitting back quietly listening to all this talk about track shuffling and the whatnot and deleting the ever increasing pile of mail in my inbox. My name is Josh, I live in Massachusetts, but I go to the University of Arizona and I am saying 'Hi.' I know that I asked this question last year, but it remains unanswered (kind of): How in the hell do I get my TMBG Video Compilation? I called every movie distributor in the world, even the original manufacturer, but no one has it anymore. It is dead, meaning the no one can legally sell it. (Forgive me if I can't spell.) Sorry to make you all read all this by the way. I detract though, I even called Them, but the sent me a dinky postcard about MonoPuff. That's great of course, I'm at least in the system somewhere, but no catalog! So this is what I'm asking of my Bretheren TMBG fans: Can someone a)send me a catalog with the info in it for getting the movie or b) can someone pirate their own and send it to me? I know that what I ask is a very tall request, but I know that someone out there will pull through for me and make me very happy. I am thanking that kind soul now ever so greatfully, thanks, thanks, thanks! Sorry to ramble, but I'm almost done; besides, this message doesn't even rate against some of the crap that gets sent to me, no offense. O.K. email me then, bring to me the greatest of joys, anything Giant. Good luck all and may someone out there be kind to me for once. Thanks for your patience everyone and I hope to talk to all of you again soon about Them. -Josh Hamilton jwh@u.arizona.edu --or-- jwh@TMBG.org P.S.- Please resond directly to me on this one as not to clog the list with mindles personal mail, Thanks! Oh, and by the way, if your CD player has any taste whatsoever, it will play at least four Giants' songs in order; it really has nothing to do with math... ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT? Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 06:37:50 -0500 I say, even if there is a chance of 1 to 6209823476 blah blah blah, we've probably all listened to their albums enough that, so far in your life the chance of that is 1/3 er something.... SO FAR THIS WEEK I'VE LISTENED TO THE SELF TITLED ALBUM 57 TIMES! I'd also like to compliment us for in the past 2 weeks never getting at all that far off topic..... Did Leo sneakily start filtering them out er something??? _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: UHF Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 7:47:10 18000 > >Quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever read on this digest (no offense to > >anything everyone ese has ever written)! > > > >But who can forget, "A Twinky-Weiner Sandwich!" Or, "But you don't > >understand, that's my mop!" Or, "I'm thinkin of somethin orange... somethin > >orange... give up? It's an orange! Ok, Ok, I'm thinkin of somethin blue. > >Somethin blooooooooooo!" > > > >"Gimme a steak, medium-rare." > > > >"You're so stuuuuuupad!" > > > >Mark > > > Personally, I think the highlight is the DEVO spoof, but that's probably > because I'm such a spudess... Seriously, though, if you see the "We're All > Devo" tape, he busts on every single video and bumper on the tape in one > 3-minute segment in the movie. The only scene that can come close to > topping that is: > > "...you get to drink from... THE FIRE HOSE!!!!!" > stevie. > > "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" Well we watched UHF in drivers' ed. last summer, and i made a new friend (the one who owned the tape) but anyway, i had forgotten about what is now my favorite line: (scene of robbers going by a closet marked Supplies) Chinese guys jump out and yell "SUPPLIES!" -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 08:18:39 MDT Subject: Video Bootleg Project Status TMBG Video Bootleg Status Update Hello, I've sent over 90 copies of Vol. 1 out, and am now working on Vol. 2, but I NEED MORE STUFF! So I'm attaching my master list of known video appearances. Those marked with a one (1) are on Vol. 1, those marked with an asterisk (*) I have already obtained for Vol. 2. I'm still looking for the others. I'm also looking for the upcoming (Sept 21) Larry Sanders appearance and any other promotional appearances for Mono Puff or Factory Showroom. There should be a bunch of them in the next few months. Hopefully, Vol. 2 will be ready in time for Christmas! (No sense in rushing these things.) Also if you have corrections/additions to my master list, let me know, O.K.? Russ Josephson's Master List of TMBG TV Appearances: Date V Time Show Songs -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ??/??/?? Flans cable interview Pat Savage ??/??/?? Kemp Mill Music I Hope That I Get Old BID Pat Savage Cage and Aquarium [inc] ??/??/88 Arsino Hall They'll Need A Crane [live] ??/??/88 * 01:40 Record Guide Lie Still, Little Bottle [live] Jon King * 01:00 dial-a-song, bike accident Jon King * 02:00 I'll Sink Manhattan [live/titles] 12/??/88 * 01:45 120 Minutes Istanbul [live] Jon King * 00:40 dial-a-song plug Jon King * 01:30 Your Racist Friend [live] Jon King 02/??/89 * 03:05 Letterman They'll Need a Crane Jon King * 00:30 [network TV debut] Jon King 07/??/89 Post-Modern MTV Purple Toupee [video] Pat Savage ??/??/?? * 02:20 Post-Modern MTV Whistling in the Dark [live] Jon King ??/??/?? * 02:00 Post-Modern MTV Maybe I Know [live] Jon King Post-Modern MTV Letterbox [live] Pat Savage ??/??/?? * 02:00 Post-Modern MTV Lucky Ball and Chain [live] Jon King ??/??/?? ~10min FLOOD PROMO Tim Young Theme from Flood plays as we see outside of Italian cafe. John & John sitting in a booth together, talk about Flood. "We have made a record with 19 songs!!" There are some snippets from previous TMBG videos. John and John intro- duce the songs .. and a caption for each title comes up on the screen as the title section of each song is played There is an edited bit of a British TV appearance. They play an acoustic version of Particle Man. Back to the cafe where J and J sit and listen to Birdhouse 03/??/90 1 02:15 120 Minutes Interview (Barbara Bush) Matt Coon 1 02:00 Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live] 1 02:20 Puppet Head [video] 1 02:00 Particle Man [live] 1 02:00 Interview 1 03:15 Birdhouse IYS [video] 04/??/90 * 02:10 Tonight Show Birdhouse in Your Soul [/live] Jon King * 01:50 Interview Jay Leno on "Flood" * 01:30 Istanbul [live] 04/??/90 * 12:10 Request Video Interview w/Katy Manor of KROQ Jon King 05/??/90 1 02:25 Muchmusic Interview segments Mike Rose 05/12/90 1 04:08 Letterman Your Racist Friend [live] Mike Rose 02/01/91 1 01:48 Tiny Toons #51 Introduction Bryan White 1 02:30 TT Music TV Istanbul [animated] 1 02:15 TT Music TV Particle Man [animated] ??/??/?? ~10min A18 PROMO Tim Young "Integrity Project" song plays over a still of J & J in the studio. "Power Sphere" voice explains about A18 and intro- duces "Statue" video. Voice explains how the album follows favourite TMBG themes (Nature, Human Relations, Personal Ambitions, Death) accompanied by some funny animation Voice explains about NASA space year. funny bit where a spaceman made from plastic is dangled on a string to explain how TMBG can fill the current "Culture Hole" (represented by a ring Doughnut). The principle of Power spheres (Melody, Fidelity, Quantity) is explained. "You can't create a masterpiece dabbling in finger paints" ??/??/92 JBTV I Palindrome I Pat Savage When it Rains it Snows 04/13/92 1 00:25 Muchmusic Introduction Mike Rose 1 01:50 She's Actual Size [live] 1 03:40 Interview (RPM appearance 4/14) 1 02:15 Mammal [live] 1 03:32 The Statue GMH [video] 04/26/92 * 05:00 120 Minutes Interview w/Dave Kendall Jon King The Statue GMH [video] Erik Swedberg * 02:00 She's Actual Size [live] Jon King * 00:55 Mammal [live over the credits] Jon King 05/19/92 1 01:00 Letterman Intro: Apollo 18 new album Mike Rose 1 02:45 I Palindrome I [live] 07/05/92 1 00:30 Tonight Intro: Apollo 18 new album Mike Rose 1 04:20 The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus] 1 02:45 Interview: pass the dude 1 03:35 The Statue GMH [live] ??/??/?? Letterman The Statue GMH jenns@mail.voicenet.com 03/??/93 1 01:30 120 Minutes J&J host "New Wave Marathon" Matt Coon 1 04:10 The Guitar [video] 1 00:30 Hotel Detective (clip) 1 00:30 Ana Ng (clip) 1 00:30 They'll Need A Crane (clip) 1 00:20 "Then We Die" [song] 1 01:00 Dial-a-song plug 06/??/93 120 Minutes Particle Man Where Your Eyes DG 08/??/93 120 Minutes Why Does the Sun Shine? [various jams by the band] 09/05/93 120 Minutes Why Does the SS [live] Erik Swedberg/DAVID A. MEYERSON TMBG [instrumental] Destin B No One KMP [instrumental] Destin B 10/26/93 1 03:45 Conan O'Brien Why Does the SS [live] Mike Rose 1 05:15 Interview: Shatner's mug 1 01:30 show closing/thank you ??/??/94 1 04:45 Good Morning Dirt Bike [live] Russ Josephson 1 00:15 Dirt Bike [live over credits] Matt Coon ??/??/?? John Stewart WDTSS jenns@mail.voicenet.com 10/??/94 * 01:15 120 Minutes John & John guest hosts Jon King * 00:30 intro playing "Frankenstein" Jon King * 03:10 Why Does The Sun Shine [live] Jon King * 00:40 intro playing NOK My Plan Jon King * 00:35 intro playing Ana Ng Jon King * 00:40 intro playing The Guitar Jon King 10/??/94 * 01:00 120 Minutes premiere of Snail Shell video Jon King 10/06/94 1 01:04 120 Minutes John & John guest hosts Bryan White 1 00:30 Introducing the band 1 03:25 Snail Shell [video] 1 00:45 The Cramps video intro 1 00:30 "Reverend Horton Heat" song 1 03:25 AKA Driver [live] 1 00:30 words after Lucious Jackson vid 1 00:35 Frente video intro 1 01:00 "59 Minutes Left To Go" song 1 00:30 MC900' Jesus intro 1 00:30 Dambuilders video intro 1 00:38 words after Pale Saints video 1 00:25 Cranberries video intro 1 00:41 Jeff Buckley video intro 1 02:30 The End OT Tour [live/credits] 10/31/94 1 03:30 Conan O'Brien Nyquil Driver [live] Matt Coon ??/??/94 JBTV Subliminal Pat Savage Destination Moon Meet James Ensor ??/??/94 * 01:00 Jon Stewart Interview Jon King * 03:30 Snail Shell [live] Jon King * 01:00 Destination Moon [live/credits] Jon King 01/??/95 1 02:10 House of Blues Istanbul [live] Ryan Staib 1 00:28 Interviews 1 02:07 No One Knows My Plan [live] 1 04:38 The Guitar [live] Summer95 Celebrate Brooklyn Festival ??/??/?? Cartoon Planet No One KMP [on intro] The End Of TT [on credits] ??/??/?? * 03:15 Sound FX Interview: MMPR movie XTC trib Jon King * 03:15 w/Karen Spy [live] Jon King * 00:35 ?????? dial-a-song plug Jon King * 00:40 Dirt Bike [live/instrumental] Jon King * 05:30 Brian Dewan interview/Obedience School [live] Jon King * 01:02 The Guitar [live over credits] Jon King 04/??/96 1 00:56 120 Minutes "There's Just 120 min" song Russ Josephson 09/21/96 Larry Sanders ?????? ============================================================================= Regular Videos: ============================================================================= TMBG Video PYHI The Puppet Head Compilation Don't Let's Start Hotel Detective Ana Ng They'll Need a Crane Purple Toupee ??/??/?? 1 02:20 Puppet Head [video] Matt Coon ??/??/?? 1 02:24 Teletunes Don't Let's Start [video] Russ Josephson ??/??/?? * 02:35 Purple Toupee [video] Jon King 03/??/90 1 03:15 Birdhouse IYS [video] Mike Rose 05/??/90 1 02:30 Istanbul [video] Mike Rose 04/??/92 1 04:10 The Guitar [video] Mike Rose ??/??/?? 1 03:32 The Statue GMH [video] Bryan White ??/??/?? 1 03:25 Snail Shell [video] Bryan White All contents Copyright 1996 Russell Blaine Josephson. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Subject: Re: UHF From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 11:14:35 EDT Maybe I missed someone else mentioning this, but how can anyone forget Stanley Spedowski's Oscar-winning performance (well, it should've been) in the soliloquy that changed countless lives all over the English-speaking world as we know it: I wanna show you somethin'. I wanna... uuaauuaa..... I wanna show you somethin'.... This is my new mop. George, my friend, he gave me this mop. It's a pretty good mop. It's not as good as my first mop-- I miss my first mop. But this is still a good mop. Sometimes you just have to take what life gives ya-- 'cause life is like a mop. And sometimes life gets full of dirt and crud and bugs and hairballs and stuff-- You, you, you gotta clean it out. You, you, you gotta put it in here and rinse it off and start all over again. And-- and sometimes, sometimes life sticks to floor so bad, you know a mop, a mop, it's not good enough-- it's not good enough-- You, you gotta get down there like with a toothbrush, you know, and you gotta-- you gotta really scrub-- you gotta-- aih-- you gotta get it off! You gotta really try to get it off! But if that doesn't work-- that doesn't work-- you can't give up. You gotta, you gotta stand right up. You gotta run to a window and say "HEY! THESE FLOORS ARE DIRTY AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 12:03:51 EDT From: cds4@Lehigh.EDU (CATHERINE DAY SPAIN) Subject: hey guys (once again!) Hey guys! Tucker is back! I have had the biggest problem getting to school and getting my email set up, but it's all good now. I was absolutely DYING without my messages! I can't wait to hear about all of the concerts going on on the East coast (maybe I can make some of them too!). Well, i have to go to class, but I was just too excited to be on the list again, I just HAD to write. :) tucker (formerly ktucker3@aol.com) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 10:15:32 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: hello Hello everyone, it's Liam, back from his summer vacation. I hope y'all got the message I was able to send a week ago, talking about the concert in Norwalk, CT (tell me if you didn't get it, so I can write it again). I there anything new happening in the world of TMBG, besides of course, Factory Showroom? (yay). Ive been out of it... please let me know. Liam "What in God's name is going on here? The Devil is amongst us! Stay back boy, this calls for divine intervention. I KICK ASS FOR THE LORD!" - Father McGregor from DEAD ALIVE ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: marquette Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 13:21:16 -0400 (EDT) Does anyone know which state Marquette is in? Thanx. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: katie Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 13:37:48 -0400 (EDT) Could Katie Spain please email me? Thankee much! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 13:41:54 -0400 From: John Paul Endicott Subject: get off list tmbg-list- take me off list ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:33:26 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: get off list On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, John Paul Endicott wrote: > tmbg-list- take me off list > Hey list, get off me! Get off me list! List, back! Back! Down, list! Get off of John, list! Oh no! The list has got John in its mouth...ok list, nice, nice...give John back...come on....easy...OH NO! Oh, the humanity... Well, too bad about John, but I'm staying. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 13:44:09 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: They might Play harding? Hello this is important I need some info on the TMBG show at Harding in Searcy, ARkansas are there tickets still avail? how much? please send info to me sooooooooon so I can organize a carpool.... pez ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:01:19 -0400 Subject: A little off base Hey, guys. I know this isn't exactly TMBG related (Well, I guess it could be), but I would like to do it anyway. I've been reading through the stuff that I've recieved from this list, and it strikes me that a lot of you are really creative individuals. I would like start a monthly mailing list. I would like to be able to give us all a creative outlet. Ok...I'll stop blabbing, and tell you what I propose. I would like for any one interested to send me stories, jokes, poems, cartoons (In Gif format please), or any other submission that reflects your creativity. Or, looking at the popularity of trading merchandise, there could also be a WANTED section, or whatever you like. This would be compiled, and sent out to everyone who sends me am E-mail with either a submission, or simply a request to be added to the list. I know you all have something, wouldn't it be great to be able to share it with the rest of us? So, tell me what you think. If you are interested, send all related matters directly to me. (Raldus@aol.com) Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:14:21 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Gainesville TMBG Show Anything you want to know about the Gainesville show is at the Alachua Music Harvest's Page at: http://www.atlantic.net/~gama/harvest.html Be sure to check out all the performers and click on They Might Be Giants in the list. It goes to a really cool place. -- _________________________________________________________ MLiq ************************************ *The They Might Be Giants Link Page* *http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/* ************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:28:34 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Richmond info # On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Doh, that really sucks. Well I will call anyway and if they can confirm > that I will either not go or I will find someone around DC that I can > crash at (since I work around DC). Hmm or take off work 8-) > Matt Matt: Um, boss, I can't come to work today. BossMan: Why? Matt: I'm singing like a girl. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:34:11 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Leda Glodell wrote: > I'd also like to compliment us for in the past 2 weeks never getting > at all that far off topic..... Did Leo sneakily start filtering them out er > something??? No, I just have been devoid of OATS. Here's another thing: Leo and I had been flirting with the idea of a Mono Puff announcement list. Album dates, concert info, etc. etc. I'd like to know if anyone is interested in that. If so, just drop me a line at bluedawg@ussodyssey.ufp.org. ObOAT: Fran is coming....gotta see if I gotta work tomorrow. I'm already being blown all over the road in my Wrangler.... S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:43:22 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: marquette On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Does anyone know which state Marquette is in? Thanx. > Matt Michigan. And then there is the little place near my relatives' home in Louisiana....but I think you're talking about the one in MI. The one in LA isn't even in the road Atlas. We Cajuns tend to get ignored. :) BlueDawg, crusader for Cajun minority status.... S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Marquette Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:57:45 -0400 (EDT) Wow, I didn't know there were so many Marquettes. Actually, John Chaffer got the one I was looking for but thanks to all who responded. I wasn't sure if it was in Wisconsin or that Upper Michigan Pennisula (the deserrted wasteland I hear). Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 16:28:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: spy ska? not. > funky bassline, but not at all Jamaican. Besides, the horns are too soulful > and not poppy enough. hmmm...excuse me...? yes, some ska is poppy, but have you ever heard ska (such as older-school skatalites...) that has many jazz-type solos/improvs...? please know what you're talking about before you post a comment like that... sorry, folks, dont mean to flame, but, hey, i have to straighten things out? heeheh, ok well, now that that is said, the email problem in my room has finally been fixed, so i am going to try to get this interview/article compilation underway...i am quite busy, though, guys, so please dont expect anything immediate...i will eventually be writing to those of you who expressed interest in contributing articles you own from previous years, etc... and dont forget, EVERYONE can contribute to this! if you have any They articles or interviews you think would be unique/a good addition (or even if they're generic), feel free to get in touch with me at this email. :) thanks guys! bie bie. --fransburghster ------------------------------ From: GrateBear@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:27:41 -0400 Subject: Jessica, never heard original...... In tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 242 , Amy wrote: >I was listening to my favorite classic rock station on the radio today, >while delivering pizzas (what a great job, eh?) and suddenly, I heard a >very familiar song. It took me a second to figure it out, but then I >recognized that it was the original version of Jessica by the Allman >Bros. Band! It was really neat, I've never heard the original before. >It's a lot longer than the TMBG version, and uses a lot of keyboard in >the middle section. I couldn't pick a fave version between the two, >because they're both good. Just thought I'd share :) I'm a little slow in picking up irony, but you are kidding us, right? If not, I'll be happy to turn you on to some Allman Bros........ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 16:38:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) > ObOAT: Fran is coming....gotta see if I gotta work tomorrow. I'm > already being blown all over the road in my Wrangler.... heheheh, took me a second to figure this one out... me = thinking: i didnt know i was visiting him...? ok, but now i've figured it out. these things happen when ones name is not so common. (sorry about this second post, just struck me as funny!) --FRANsburgh ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:40:17 -0400 (EDT) > ObOAT: Fran is coming....gotta see if I gotta work tomorrow. I'm > already being blown all over the road in my Wrangler.... Your fearless list admin is supposed to get 6-10" of rain out of Fran. She seemed like such a nice girl at the concert, and now this...... -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:47:17 -0400 Subject: Taste of DC Does anyone have any info regarding the October 14 show at the Tste of D.C. in Washington? I'd love to know. Neal ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:09:15 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Ah-HAH! Shep's Kitchen Mix Vol. I is done!! I know, I said I'd never get it finished. But my first major compilation is a SMASH. I mean, this tape is great for workouts, beating clergy, etc.... here's the tape itself. It's Shep's Kitchen Mix Vol. I since the kitchen I work in on weekends is the first place I played it for other people. Details on how to get a copy will follow the set list. Side One (42:39) Apotheosis "O Fortuna" (Apolcalyptic Chorus Mix) Machines of Loving Grace "Butterfly Wings" (Sins Of Commission Edit) White Zombie "Thunder Kiss '65" Deftones "Bored" Marilyn Manson "The Beautiful People" Revolting Cocks "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Beastie Boys "Root Down" (PP Balloon Mix) Korn "Blind" Apotheosis "O Fortuna" (7" Edit) Front 242 "Headhunter V3.0" Side Two (41:22) Nine Inch Nails "Mr. Self Destruct" Ministry "Reload" (Long Edit) White Zombie "I'm Your Boogie Man" Folk Implosion "Natural One" Utah Saints "Something Good" (7" Mix) prodigy "Firestarter" (Edit) Primus "Tommy The Cat" Apotheosis "O Fortuna" (Live Action Remix) Messiah "Temple Of Dreams" Ween "Push The Little Daisies" Beastie Boys "It's The New Style" How can you get a copy of this tape? Granted, there's no TMBG on it, but other mixes will have that. I started to get on a roll, and TMBG didn't seem right on this mix. You know what I mean? E-mail me, and we'll discuss. That's it. Simple enough. Some people live close to me, others don't. It'll depend. E-mail me at shep@hotliquid.com, not what you may already have for me. This is going through a separate channel. For information on this mix, or if you have ideas for other ones I may put together, e-mail me and I'll give you credit on the next one. see ya shep (c) 1996 Crackwhore Communications ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 18:00:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: S-E-X-X-Y >No one has thought about interprating either of the two readily availible new >songs so I thought I'd take a stab. >After listening to it for and hour while doing my homework, I have found an >idea for one of the lines. >" X because it's extra, baby. Y because it's extra baby." >Now this leaves us with S-E-X which is self-explanitory. But the bit about the >extras might mean the song is about Hermaphrodites or just people who happen to >have, well, extra of one item. Think a bit about it...I think this is one of JF's more clever lyrics. X-X-Y...as in someone who has an Xtra X chromosome. The general slant of the song is that this guy has XXY chromosomes instead of XY, so he feels very "feminine" and dresses up as a woman. >There has been talk of the Johns reaching a new level with this album... But is >THIS? what we want? Come on, it's harmless. Can't TMBG have one song about sex? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 17:10:56 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Joshua Hall-Bachner: >>There has been talk of the Johns reaching a new level with this album... But is >>THIS? what we want? > >Come on, it's harmless. Can't TMBG have one song about sex? They do - Women and Men. But it's done much more discretely in that one. -CB ------------------------------ From: beland@MIT.EDU Subject: Their Videos Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 18:24:11 EDT Man! I watched when VH-1 did their so-called "History of Music Videos" - no TMBG!!! Now I'm so mad, because They really do have videos, don't they! I though They were to low-budget for videos or something. But to be LEFT OUT! How totally not fair! Beland ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 22:30:31 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Jessica, never heard original...... In tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 242 , Amy wrote: >I was listening to my favorite classic rock station on the radio today, >while delivering pizzas (what a great job, eh?) and suddenly, I heard a >very familiar song. It took me a second to figure it out, but then I >recognized that it was the original version of Jessica by the Allman >Bros. Band! It was really neat, I've never heard the original before. >It's a lot longer than the TMBG version, and uses a lot of keyboard in >the middle section. I couldn't pick a fave version between the two, >because they're both good. Just thought I'd share :) Here in England they use "Jessica" as the theme music to a programme called "Top Gear" all about developments in the motor industry. So when the Giants did their version, it sounded really weird to hear someone elses interpretation of what was for me at that time just a TV Theme Song. It wasn't 'til I read the sleeve Credits that I found out who done the original. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 18:53:38 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG dream/videos Well I had a dream last night that I was in some video store and I found some of those 8 inch TMBG video comp. laserdiscs for two dollars and I was so happy, I was gonna buy a whole load of them but at the very moment I had that thought, I realised I was dreaming, and felt a very real sense of disappointment. Oh well. However, I should note that there was a time when I was in a video store and I really did see a load of these laserdiscs for 2 dollars and I never bought them. I now wish I did, though I do have one copy already. And on the subject of videos, there are only two people who should be directing TMBG videos: Adam Bernstein and John Flansburgh...well, Spike Jonze would be cool, and maybe Roman Coppola and David Fincher...well, anyway, I'm just saying that Bernstein's vids were so cool and none of the other videos were as good as his. I still maintain that Snail Shell video is abominable. I guess they just shouldn't work with Germans. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 19:01:23 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: UHF At 11:14 AM 9/5/96 EDT, Chris Moesel wrote: >Maybe I missed someone else mentioning this, but how can anyone forget >Stanley Spedowski's Oscar-winning performance (well, it should've been) >in the soliloquy that changed countless lives all over the >English-speaking world as we know it: > >I wanna show you somethin'. I wanna... uuaauuaa..... I wanna show you >somethin'.... This is my new mop. George, my friend, he gave me this >mop. It's a pretty good mop. It's not as good as my first mop-- I miss >my first mop. But this is still a good mop. Sometimes you just have to >take what life gives ya-- 'cause life is like a mop. And sometimes life >gets full of dirt and crud and bugs and hairballs and stuff-- You, you, >you gotta clean it out. You, you, you gotta put it in here and rinse it >off and start all over again. And-- and sometimes, sometimes life sticks >to floor so bad, you know a mop, a mop, it's not good enough-- it's not >good enough-- You, you gotta get down there like with a toothbrush, you >know, and you gotta-- you gotta really scrub-- you gotta-- aih-- you >gotta get it off! You gotta really try to get it off! But if that >doesn't work-- that doesn't work-- you can't give up. You gotta, you >gotta stand right up. You gotta run to a window and say "HEY! THESE >FLOORS ARE DIRTY AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" > > UHF is hillarious. I was going to use the above quote in my E-mail sig, but I decided it was a tad long. :^) TMBG: I've downloaded and listened to S-E-X-X-Y and Metal Detector, (S-E-X-X-Y is cool, Metal Detector is *REEEALLY* good); does anyone have tapes and stuff of other new songs? Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Subject: Re: A little off base From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 17:56:21 EDT On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:01:19 -0400 Raldus@aol.com writes: >I know you all have something, wouldn't it be great to be able to >share it >with the rest of us? > >So, tell me what you think. > >If you are interested, send all related matters directly to me. >(Raldus@aol.com) >Thanks. > I would particularly like to know what your qualifications (do you have a web page, have you ever heard of ftp, do you realize that pictures sent off aol in mail get encoded?) would be to start such an undertaking and how you propose to keep the headers small on your aol mail... I have suggested in the past, and am still working on, a topicless list and may soon begin to start it... but whatever, I don't care one bit... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: shuffle oddities + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 17:52:08 EDT On Wed, 4 Sep 96 20:10:42 UT "Martin Baker" writes: > >But in reality, what I want to know is why my UK A18 CD doesn't have >Fingertips available as separate tracks but as one track only. Anyone >else got >that "can't shuffle Fingertips" problem ? > Can you say FAQ? OAT: Names: Well, if you've been paying attention you know I've started a Names survey thingy... So far I'm rather impresed with my results as I've gotten 25 replys but that leaves like 450 lacking, so... hmmm... I'd like to add here, that even if I know you (from Utopia Parkway and such) I won't add you to the listing unless you tell me directly... I also added two more to the list who said "my name is" in a mail message to the list... make sure your name is properly represented, keep them coming... what happened to all the Mikes? Here's the list so far: 1 Michael 2 Jamal 3 Francis 4 Sarah 5 Ryan 6 Ian 7 John 8 Eric 9 Rob 10 Clayton 11 Daniel 12 Adam 13 Wyatt 14 Abbie 15 James 16 Matthew 17 Sarah 18 Matt 19 Kirsten 20 Jason 21 Andreas 22 Perry 23 Amy 24 Sarah 25 Josh 26 Cortney 27 Liam .sig ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Taste of DC Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 20:15:38 -0400 (EDT) > Does anyone have any info regarding the October 14 show at the Tste of D.C. > in Washington? I'd love to know. Where'd you hear about this show? And what is the Taste of DC? I've never heard of it? Thanx, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Ah-HAH! Shep's Kitchen Mix Vol. I is done!! Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 20:18:04 -0400 (EDT) > Machines of Loving Grace "Butterfly Wings" (Sins Of Commission Edit) > White Zombie "Thunder Kiss '65" > Deftones "Bored" > Marilyn Manson "The Beautiful People" > Revolting Cocks "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" > Beastie Boys "Root Down" (PP Balloon Mix) > Korn "Blind" > Apotheosis "O Fortuna" (7" Edit) > Front 242 "Headhunter V3.0" > > Side Two (41:22) > Nine Inch Nails "Mr. Self Destruct" > Ministry "Reload" (Long Edit) > White Zombie "I'm Your Boogie Man" > Folk Implosion "Natural One" > Utah Saints "Something Good" (7" Mix) > prodigy "Firestarter" (Edit) > Primus "Tommy The Cat" > Apotheosis "O Fortuna" (Live Action Remix) > Messiah "Temple Of Dreams" > Ween "Push The Little Daisies" > Beastie Boys "It's The New Style" Is this a Shep-Pettibone mix? hehe Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1993 18:52:59 -0700 Subject: Re: I have just finished talking Jason A Hoffman wrote: > > I have just finished talking > with an actuarial friend who > works at a large fortune 200 > insurance company about our > shuffle query. Though he > wants to recheck his work, his > preliminary findings are that > on A18, there is a 1 in 50,617 > chance that four songs would > be played in the correct > order. For JH, with only 20 > songs, this chance skyrockets > to 1 in 6,840, about seven > times greater! For the 20 > song album, there are 2,432, > 902,000,000,000,000 song > combinations. WHEW! Sorry for that time I corrected the figures of whoever did them. I REALLY messed up that factorial problem. The world is pretty fuzzy at 2 a.m., and numbers are even worse. Their numbers on the A18 probability were correct. SORRY! Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:03:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y ok, this doesnt really go along with the actual lyrics of the song, but hasnt anyone ever heard of the condition wherein a person may be born with an extra chromosome? (or something to that effect, i cant remember the exact details, a friend told me about it once...) but that extra chromosome (or whatever) causes anti-social type behavior (and i dont mean he's shy), and extra-ordinary violent tendencies... no one's ever heard of this? (I think it's supposed to happen more in males?) well, can someone confirm this? (ok, it's not an interp, i just want to check up on this thing i heard.) bye! -fransbuuuugh @ | _ / | \ _ ( | ) ) ) | ( ( ( ~ ) - V - ~-~ | Fran, the 'cellist ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 21:26:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y At 09:03 PM 9/5/96 -0400, you wrote: >ok, this doesnt really go along with the actual lyrics of the song, but >hasnt anyone ever heard of the condition wherein a person may be born >with an extra chromosome? (or something to that effect, i cant remember >the exact details, a friend told me about it once...) but that extra >chromosome (or whatever) causes anti-social type behavior (and i dont >mean he's shy), >and extra-ordinary violent tendencies... no one's ever heard of this? I have. It's most common in males, when they get two X's and one Y. Thus, XXY and the song. It tends to make them more "feminine," I believe, because of the overabundance of X and the effects of that. OTOH, there are males with XYY, who are more "masculine" and are the ones with the "anti-social" behavior (a study showed that the percentage of prison inmates with XYY was *far* higher than the percentage of the general pop. with XYY.) Leo, think this should maybe go in the Interp Archive? BTW, I downloaded the studio version of S-E-X-X-Y. For those of you who are still worried about the "rockiness" of the song (for those who don't know, the live version is a straight ahead rocker w/ heavy guitars and energetic Flans) this version is *nothing* like that. It's amazingly different. It's got a much more "latin" style rhythm, horns and violins up the wazoo, and a "gravelly loud whisper" style vocal from JF. Very 70's-ish sounding; if this is the regular version, I can hardly imagine the "club mix". And while S-E-X-X-Y owes little to either the Lincoln or the JH sound, Metal Detector (the other song that you can download) is an awesome Linnell number that is *very* reminiscent of old-school TMBG and has lots of fun synth sounds. I like it. :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something| \-----missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"-----/ ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 21:35:13 -0400 Subject: Muppet mouth > thought it sounds like Rolph Funny, I always thought "Ding-dang-dingalong" sounded like Dr. Teeth. You know, Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem? Why so many Muppet connections? Fur suuure, Ruhly! Princess ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: FINAL call us survey results... Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 20:57:56 -0500 Well, after a whole 3 minutes of painstaking work, i have finished up the survey (most votes stopped coming about 3 days ago) It's a very.. umm... _interesing_ list..... here we go 1) Prosthetic Foreheads - 6 votes 2) Rabid Children - 3 votes 3) Tee-eM-Bee-Gees - 2 votes (2nd for tmb-geers though..) 3) They Might Be Fans - 2 votes All others: Carnilist Killer Karate Kangaroos Theysayers Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Flannel Minimum Wage Prosthetic Foreheads (With A Dinner Bell) ATE music fans (Alternative To Everything) _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:01:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Spy rox! > BTW, I'm convinced that Spy (at least the WDTSS version) may as well be ska. > Well, at least I can skank to it. > Throw in some rhythmic stuff on all the upbeats, and it's there. > It's already got the horns, etc. > Anyone want to try to decide what genre of music Spy is? > As much as I want it to be ska just because I can skank to it, > I doubt it. To tell you the truth, I can't think of anything done by TMBG that can really be classified as ska. They do use horns, but then, so does Jiker. I'd have to call Spy a spy song. I wouldn't have considered "Spy music" a genre unto itslef, but my friend's recent obssession with all things spy, and his purchase of an album made up entirely of spy songs has made me think differently. There is certainly a distinct atmosphere created by spy themes. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:04:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Release Date I don't remember if this territory has been covered before, but the official release date for Factory Showroom is going to be October 8. Also, I'm interested to know, is anyone else out there in internt land heading to the show at SUNY Albany? Despite the fact that a show on a college campus pretty much guarantees an evil crowd, it'll be a good opportunity to visit my friend up there. Hey, e-mail me if any of you are headed out that way. -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:17:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) hmm, well, this conflicts with the other description of XYY vs. XXY, but i really think it's the extra x chromosome that makes one violent?? it's a mystery! --fransbrueggger ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:17:00 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT To: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y Hi Fran! This is cortney, how are ya! Well, I'm a biology major who just took genetics last year...and although a had slight trouble with the class (tough professor!), I *do* remember all of the crazy genetic disorders! And you are definitely right! There is a genetic disorder, occuring in males, called Klinefelter's Syndrome. While a normal male has the chromosomes XY, a Klinefelters male has an extra X chromosome, which makes him XXY. Males with this particular disorder tend to have extremely violent tendencies and a few female characteristics as well. Anyway, I hope this info helped (my prof would be proud!)...you can post it if ya want! Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:15:53 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Off Topic (was: Re: Shuffle Mode... WHY NOT?) On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Leo Bicknell wrote: > > ObOAT: Fran is coming....gotta see if I gotta work tomorrow. I'm > > already being blown all over the road in my Wrangler.... > > Your fearless list admin is supposed to get > 6-10" of rain out of Fran. She seemed like such a nice > girl at the concert, and now this...... Leo, you may be spared...it's moving due north now...I'll get the ten inches of rain here in Newport News...Good thing I got that new top on the Jeep. BlueDawg....who will give afteraction report tommorrow after work. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 21:58:08 -0500 172 SONGS!!! I finished couting the lyrics archive.... 172 172 songs leadin' to the page where all the lyrics are... I know we don't want to agure about polotics, so please dont flame me.... a couple lines from a birdhouse paradoy representing how i think Bob Dole's a big idiot: (line 1) Take a little shotgun- kill Bob Dole (line 2) Do not leave your fingerprints on it (line 3) Act stupid, say "I didn't do it" (line 4) Take a little shotgun kill bob dole...... In case you couldn't tell where these fit, it's Line 1 - make a little birdhouse in your soul Line 2 - Not to put to fine a point on it line 3 - Say i'm the only bee in your bonnet line 4 - ditto of 1 _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Subject: Spider Explosion From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:34:45 EDT OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As stated in my message about the bass, i went to a local stearo shop and used that song as the test. They pl,ayed it over a pair of Infinity speakers. I sounded like the speaker bok was about to fly apart, and the speaker was rattling. Ith person said, "Don't worry, It's not the speaker rattling, It the the ceiling tiles and equipment in teh room!" So I took my friend home and Played it on my sub-woofer, to show him my new toy. But I forgot how loud it gets with loudness on, bass filter off, bass boost on, and the amplifer bass full. Oops, I broke something in the coil. It scrachs when you poosh on the woofer, and the motion isn't smooth. Pafts of the woofer move at different times than the other parts. Now to buy a new speaker system! ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1993 21:28:35 -0700 Subject: Devil Came Down to Newport Does anyone know where I could hear 'Devil came down to Newport' over the net? I don't know the other bands talked about on this list, but I'm relatively certain that this isn't a tmbg song. That is right, isn't it? Sorry, I'm new to this world. I'm on the list to learn all that I can as quickly as possible, and then continue with a good working knowledge. I only have Flood and A18 though, due to financial restraits. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 23:16:04 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: Re: Their Videos We all truly know how you feel. I stayed up the entire time for the past two History's and forwent my entire life. I suggested to myself that maybe I should write them about it at VH-1, but I think blowing them up is much more John like. Brother John Blackhawk (My two furthings) "I know why the caged bird dies, for I like it have touched the skies." -Mike Renick ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:20:15 -0400 (EDT) Subject: shuffle mode probabilities Um... I was told there would be no math... stevie. "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 23:27:07 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y I believe the extra\missing chromosome is supposed to cause deformities; mental and physical. If someone is missing one, they will be retarded and possibly facial deformities. If someone has an extra one, then they have violent tendencies and less frequently physical deformities. Brother John Blackhawk On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > ok, this doesnt really go along with the actual lyrics of the song, but > hasnt anyone ever heard of the condition wherein a person may be born > with an extra chromosome? (or something to that effect, i cant remember > the exact details, a friend told me about it once...) but that extra > chromosome (or whatever) causes anti-social type behavior (and i dont > mean he's shy), > and extra-ordinary violent tendencies... no one's ever heard of this? > (I think it's supposed to happen more in males?) > well, can someone confirm this? > (ok, it's not an interp, i just want to check up on this thing i heard.) > bye! > -fransbuuuugh > > @ > | > _ / | \ _ > ( | ) > ) ) | ( ( > ( ~ ) > - V - > ~-~ > | > Fran, the 'cellist > > > ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:28:55 -0400 (EDT) Subject: I'm an idiot I realized after I logged off last time that the Weird Al Yankovic video to "Dare to be Stupid" was not, as I suggested, in the movie UHF. It's on the "Compleat Al" videotape. Not that anyone cares, but I feel like a dickweed anyway. BTW, someone quoted: >My fantasy is in a xerox shop" sounds a lot like >"I've got a crush, copy shop clerk." For some reason I thought the line was "My panacea's in a xerox shop." Am I insane? stevie. "What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 23:37:02 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot There is a page on the web with parodies of songs from Flood. They are evil, satanic, and generally something Linnel probably wrote when he was trippin' balls. I will try to find the URL. It's worth checking out. Brother John Blackhawk :> "Well Dave, we went to the crossroads and shook hands with the devil." -John Flansburgh on 120 minutes ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 23:53:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: argh! ifonly... i got a call from a friend who goes to wellesley college, MA...she called me tonight and wanted me to go see TMBG in Boston for FREE! and visit her of course! i hadnt heard about this, but unfortunately i have mandatory orchestra rehearsal until 4...and it's awfully far away...poo! it was tempting, though. ok, on that note, goodnight...class in the morning! --fransburgher @ | _ / | \ _ ( | ) ) ) | ( ( ( ~ ) - V - ~-~ | Fran, the 'cellist ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:55:25 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y At 21:03 9/5/96 -0400, Fransburgh wrote: >ok, this doesnt really go along with the actual lyrics of the song, but >hasnt anyone ever heard of the condition wherein a person may be born >with an extra chromosome? (or something to that effect, i cant remember >the exact details, a friend told me about it once...) but that extra >chromosome (or whatever) causes anti-social type behavior (and i dont >mean he's shy), >and extra-ordinary violent tendencies... no one's ever heard of this? >(I think it's supposed to happen more in males?) >well, can someone confirm this? Ok...gotta put my worthless knowledge of biology to some use: XX = Female XY = Male Individuals with two X chromosomes, and one Y chromosome develope as males (because of the Y), but are infertile. The XXY condition is known as Klinefelter's Syndrome. Any questions? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 00:03:17 +0000 From: "...hctivodivaD" Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: Hatch Shell... Hey, moonies! I'm going to th' Boston show on th' morrow - anyone organising any sort of listie meeting-point? Lurker Incarnate, David -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-243 ******************************