Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-244 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 244 Saturday, 7 September 1996 Today's Topics: re:Shuffle Oddity Re: CD shuffle math Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot Re: I have just finished talking Totally Rockin'.... dude where are you? Boba Mail Re: FINAL call us survey results FW: Muppet mouth Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) Fran....I'm still here... Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot Re: Fran....I'm still here... Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) I'm Baaaack Muppets RE: S-E-X-X-Y / One Chromosome To Many taste Re: S-E-X-X-Y Re: good songs And Now We Know more about S-E-X-X-Y FW: Muppets Re: And Now We Know doin' the shuffle SEXXY Detector Re: And Now We Know Re: And Now We Know Re: And Now We Know Re: Fran....I'm still here... TMBG Rocks Boston!!! Psuedo-science on this list! Re: more about S-E-X-X-Y Re: SEXXY Detector Emanuel Donio More bad theories on CD shuffling Hatch Shell, Boston Ooops... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 02:09:01 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: re:Shuffle Oddity On Fri, 3 Sep 1993 sgleave@btigate.com wrote: > >Strange but true, the other > >day I played John Henry on > >shuffle play and the first > >four songs played in sequence! > > Any actuaries out there that > >can tell me the probability of > >this? > > I'm just in High School Calculus, but according to my figures, the > chances of that happening are one in > 673,951,700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. > AKA 1 in 673.9527 vigintillion. Not very likely of happening again, > unless your cd player isn't random. I don't know what calculus has to do with it. This is just simple probability and statistics. I'm a little rusty since my sophomore stats class, but isn't it something like 38 * 37 * 36 * 35? or 1 in 1771560. --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 02:28:54 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: CD shuffle math On Sat, 4 Sep 1993 sgleave@btigate.com wrote: > Nope, you forgot stuff in your equation. It would be 38!/4! which comes > to 21,792,609,061,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. It's not > just a question of what the probability of taking that song out of the > mix is, it's the probability of it happening in that order as well, > which is a permutation notated as subscript n P subscript r. It is one > out of however many possible ways there are to arrange it. I'll explain > some. No, you're looking for (n - r) in your denominator, which means "n" items taken "r" at a time. If you're looking for order, just stick to n!/(n-r)! (combinations instead of permutations? I forget...) > These occurances are therefore, VERY rare. Yes they are rare, but not THAT rare. The number you quoted would be like taking five thousand decks of cards, bury them in the sand at some beach, and let a crab go look for the Ace of Spades for one particular deck and bringing it home... blindfolded. (and missing three legs) In fact that probability was so low, you could get monkeys to produce the script of Hamlet too. But I want to know what calculator you were using to get 44 significant digits. HP or TI? --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 02:30:05 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Leda Glodell wrote: > I know we don't want to agure about polotics, so please dont flame me.... a > couple lines from a birdhouse paradoy representing how i think Bob Dole's a > big idiot: > > (line 1) Take a little shotgun- kill Bob Dole > (line 2) Do not leave your fingerprints on it > (line 3) Act stupid, say "I didn't do it" > (line 4) Take a little shotgun kill bob dole...... Well I may disagree politically, I admire the parody-- the words fit pretty well! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 02:23:04 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: I have just finished talking On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > > on A18, there is a 1 in 50,617 > > to 1 in 6,840, about seven > > ok, now am i just confused, or what? or what. > how is 50,617 7 times smaller than 6,840...? it isn't... it's 7 times bigger. But one in 50617 (1/50617) is 7 times smaller than 1/6840. Now why am I doing fractions at 2:30 in the morning? --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 08:06:47 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Totally Rockin'.... dude where are you? Sorry to post this to the list, but i've lost the address of the guy who wanted to buy my extra DWDTN ep. now almost a month later i still have the disc and have never received his money. john where are you? please contact me asap! if he doesn't email me by monday, i'll put it back up on the block. the ep contains: the devil went down to newport (totally rocking) oddball tryptophane the devil went down to newport (totally remade) brother john green jello ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:40:39 EST Subject: Boba Mail Stevie Wrote > I know this is a lot of messages in a row, but school just started and I > meet my students tomorrow. Yikes! > stevie. Oh That explains it then. Hmmm. Hey out there, does any one know where that Devil went down single is available? If you do, please tell me. Dank you. Boba Out. ( and still running to Baltimore.) -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:37:17 -0400 (EDT) From: ellen kao Subject: Re: FINAL call us survey results I rather liked the name Prosthetic Foreheads until it was pointed out to me that it sounds like a reference to some poor soul's physical deficiencies in the genital department. So, maybe a name isn't such a good idea after all. at least not this one. Hello to everynone by the way, after missing out on the list for a few days. I am now in college. Any other listers at UMBC? Ellen Kao ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 06:43:43 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Muppet mouth > thought it sounds like Rolph Funny, I always thought "Ding-dang-dingalong" sounded like Dr. Teeth. You know, Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem? Why so many Muppet connections? Fur suuure, Ruhly! Princess Speaking of which, can anyone figure out how this song goes COMPLETELY? If you've seen the Muppet Movie, you should know it. I can never figure out all the lyrics. shep Oh yeah! Anybody's lover, everybody's brother, I wanna be a lifetime friend Crazy as a rocket, nothin in my pocket, I keep at the rainbow's end I never think of money, I dream of milk and honey, grinnin like a Cheshire Cat I focus on the pleasure, something I can treasure, can you picture that? Let me take your picture, add to the mixture There it is, I gotcha now Really nothing to it, anyone can do it, it's easy and we all know how (something-something) changing, (something) rearranging Nothing's really where it's at (last line unsure) Fact is, there's nothing out there you can't do Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you (line unintelligible) Be a better drummer, be an up-and-comer, can you picture that? (I can't figure out the rest) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 09:45 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) Fran, sorry, but i have to disagree with you. i'm going back through memories of genetics classes. i'm sure i learned this stuff on at least three separate occasions. XXY = Klinefelter's syndrome, XYY = "Supermale", with excessive violent and anti-social tendencies. i particularly remember the thing about prison populations with a high percentage of XYY's (though i didn't save the name of the person who brought this up). Klinefelter's are generally short, stocky, infertile "males" with some secondary sex characteristics of both males and females... -j.l. Fransburgh wrote: >hmm, well, this conflicts with the other description of XYY vs. XXY, but >i really think it's the extra x chromosome that makes one violent?? it's >a mystery! >--fransbrueggger ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 10:19:47 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Fran....I'm still here... Well, it got pretty bad about 3 AM. It's still very, very overcast, and we're still getting rain squalls. The wind has died down, but I'd say we're still getting 50 mph + gusts. I spent the night at my parents house, as I didn't have all that much confidence in the trailer. We lost power at about 4 AM, and got it back about thirty minutes ago. Over a third of the folks served by VA Power are without power. There are trees and other debris all over the roads and grassy areas. I don't have to go to work because they don't have power there. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until after I'd manuvered my Jeep over there. Scene: BlueDawg driving his Jeep down US 60 with 65 mph gusts of wind. BlueDawg is in the left lane, going about 35. *gust of wind here* BlueDawg is now in the right lane, going about 35. There was a recorded gust of 77 mph at the Coleman Bridge, which is about ten miles from my house. This is going to be one hell of a cleanup, but I'm okay. No real damage, so far as I can tell. Although I've seen downed trees, I haven't seen any on top of buildings. Leo, how y'all making out on the other side of the state? S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: 172 songs, sure you think thats alot Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:40:19 -0500 (CDT) Leda Glodell writes: > (line 1) Take a little shotgun- kill Bob Dole [knock knock knock] Is that the Secret Service I hear knocking on your door? -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. This is probably not a coincidence." - John Dodge in PCWeek ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Fran....I'm still here... Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 11:04:23 -0400 (EDT) > Leo, how y'all making out on the other side of the state? Wet, very wet, and still getting wetter. The wind wasn't to bad here, some small stuff was blown off the trees but no big branches or anything. We have picked up about 5" of rain so far, and it's still comming down. Many rivers around here are already above flood stage. Luckly I live way up on a hill, if it floods here we're in some serious trouble. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y (fwd) Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 10:57:39 -0500 (EST) > > sorry, but i have to disagree with you. i'm going back through > memories of genetics classes. i'm sure i learned this stuff on at least > three separate occasions. XXY = Klinefelter's syndrome, XYY = "Supermale", > with excessive violent and anti-social tendencies. i particularly > remember the thing about prison populations with a high percentage of > XYY's (though i didn't save the name of the person who brought this up). > Klinefelter's are generally short, stocky, infertile "males" with some > secondary sex characteristics of both males and females... > > You are correct. If you think about it, roughly half of the population has two X chromosomes, mostly without exhibiting unusually violent behavior. It is the combination of two Y chromosomes which is highly unusual and can lead to the serious problems discussed above. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:19:56 -0400 From: Willy Nunn Subject: I'm Baaaack Well, I now have a good e-mail account once again so I can now flood it with TMBG mailing list stuff. For those of you going to the TMBG concert in Boson today, I'll be wearing my TMBG pearl T-shirt (like many other people I'm sure).. I have long brown hair and I'll be wearing a white ankh necklace. Will Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 11:14:20 -0500 From: AbigailFredMarvin Subject: Muppets Hi!!! This is my first time sending anything to this list so please forgive any foolishness I might be prone to throw in. I've been sitting back the last few days enjoying the conversations and the fact that I have mail waiting for me at all hours. And I have somehow missed the direction in which this muppet discussion is going, which song is Ryan Shepard speaking of when he for all the words?? I tend to know the words to most Muppet songs for some odd reason and might be of some assistance if its a muppet song? Any way, I've only actually seen THEM three times live and I would dearly love to see THEM again!!! I only hope that I get a chance to see Them in both Austin and Dallas this time!!! Seeing as I'm from Arlington, TX and am attending UT in Austin. Thats about it from here! By the way, does anyone happen to know of any TMBG music that might be written out for cello any where?? Its a long shot I know but I was just wondering??? AbigailFredMarvin "I don't Want the World I just Want your Half!!!" ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 10:19:23 MDT Subject: RE: S-E-X-X-Y / One Chromosome To Many on: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:03:28 -0400 (EDT) said: Fransburgh ok, this doesnt really go along with the actual lyrics of the song, but hasnt anyone ever heard of the condition wherein a person may be born with an extra chromosome? (or something to that effect, i cant remember the exact details, a friend told me about it once...) but that extra chromosome (or whatever) causes anti-social type behavior (and i dont mean he's shy), and extra-ordinary violent tendencies... no one's ever heard of this? (I think it's supposed to happen more in males?) well, can someone confirm this? (ok, it's not an interp, i just want to check up on this thing i heard.) bye! -fransbuuuugh Don't you remember the old Devo song from their first album back in 1978, Mongoloid? Mongoloid, he was a mongoload One chromosome too many Mongoloid, he was a mongoload And it determined what he could see And he had a wife And he had a kid And he brought home the bacon So that no one knew ... He was a mongoloid, mongoloid (etc) I was just playing that disk a week or so ago, and STILL like it a lot (although one of the songs drove me crazy & I had to skip it). ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: taste Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:06:35 -0400 (EDT) Can whoever posted about A Taste of DC please post a phone number or address of this place if you happedn to have it? Thanks. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Delphin7@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:14:56 -0400 Subject: Re: S-E-X-X-Y In a message dated 96-09-05 19:34:30 EDT, you write: << Come on, it's harmless. Can't TMBG have one song about sex? They do - Women and Men. But it's done much more discretely in that one. -CB >> I've never really thought of Women and Men as being about sex; I've always thought it was more about the expansion of human (or perhaps European) settlements and/or population explosions. Sure, the latter is undeniably linked to sex, but I think the song is more indirectly linked to, than discretely about sex. Just MHO. Oh, by the way, this is my first time posting to the list...so hi everyone! It's nice to meet you all...oh,yeah, my name's Elisabeth, but if you want, you can call me Lis. Bye! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:48:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Subject: Re: good songs At 12:46 AM 9/3/96 -0500, the mysterious one wrote: >hi all, > >I am rather pleased as I may possibly get the chance to host a show on my >college's radio station, thus being in a position to get TMBG played as much >as possible. However, I am asking for your assistance. On the application, >it says to list 20 songs that represents the type of music that will >generally be played on the applicant's show. I don't want to list just Their >songs, as it will probably result in me not getting a show. I would >appreciate it if you all would send me songs and their artists that might >appeal to a TMBG audience in that they are a refreshing change from the Top >40 blandness that the public hears all the time, and reasons that it must >therefore be good. >thanks in advance, >-j, the mysterious Does anyone here like Squirrel Nut Zippers? I think it would be cool if you played "Prince Nez" which is my favorite from their new CD, Hot. This is one of the best CDs I've heard lately, so if you're at your record store anytime soon, you should definitely check it out. You can probably find it anywhere. Ellen Kao ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:04:14 -0400 Subject: And Now We Know we had thoughts about x-x-y chromosomes before but now we know all the lovely details... woohoo! really, we should just stand back and admire Them for creating such a nice group of people who can tell you all about why the sun shines, our 11th president, belgian(sp?) painters, the meaning of life thru human skulls and blue things, strange genetic disorders and much much more! yay! so heres another one for you- The Bells Are Ringing... back to school anthem.. "the bells explain what they've been lacking all along/ they were disorganised and that was what was wrong" nah, i dont think so either but its an interesting angle.. guess u can tell whats on my mind.. 2 more days.. unless fran takes a detour and sinks brooklyn.. unrelated- clearly weird al has some fans here so i think its worth mentioning hes on tour.. i know he's comeing to The Beacon in nyc (cuz im gonna b there!) and somewhere in CA but thats all i know.. for the record: my name is Elizabeth "they traded the 'la's' for a singing WHAT?!? liz, im scared!" - my friend dani when i told her about the new jkpolk :) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 16:16:24 -0400 Subject: more about S-E-X-X-Y Well, since this song is such a "hot topic" now, I guess I'll throw in my 2c (where is a damn cents key on the keyboard???). This basically has nothing to do with the chromosomes, so give yourself that sigh of relief . The line "There_she_is....standin'_on_the_bed.." reminds me of a Sonic Youth video (Bull in the Heather, where in some parts, Kim is...standin' on the bed). And then I thought, well hey now, this *sounds* like a song SY would *do*..and then I remembered Flans digs SY, so...I don't know...a bunch of coincidences? Or no? And I've had S-E-X-X-Y in my head today, all day, since 5am, not that it matters, I just felt like sharing. And am I the only one who thinks it takes absolutely forever to type out S-E-X-X-Y, even with caps lock on??? -sarah, anxious for her friend to give her back her Wesley Willis and Odds cd's... :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "You know what hoopla makers get dont'cha? An *ear toss*!" - Bruce McCulloch, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:37:27 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Muppets Hi!!! This is my first time sending anything to this list so please forgive any foolishness I might be prone to throw in. I've been sitting back the last few days enjoying the conversations and the fact that I have mail waiting for me at all hours. And I have somehow missed the direction in which this muppet discussion is going, which song is Ryan Shepard speaking of when he for all the words?? I tend to know the words to most Muppet songs for some odd reason and might be of some assistance if its a muppet song? Any way, I've only actually seen THEM three times live and I would dearly love to see THEM again!!! I only hope that I get a chance to see Them in both Austin and Dallas this time!!! Seeing as I'm from Arlington, TX and am attending UT in Austin. Thats about it from here! By the way, does anyone happen to know of any TMBG music that might be written out for cello any where?? Its a long shot I know but I was just wondering??? That was Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem doing "Can You Picture That" off of the "Muppet Movie" soundtrack.... shep ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: And Now We Know Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:44:00 -0700 Yeah Wierd Al is going to be playing here in San Diego this Sunday at the San Diego Street Scene... some other good bands that are going to be there are Buck-O-Nine (ska), Spacehog, Selecter, Dave Wakeling and Bang!, and some other way cool stuff as well as all kinds of Brazilian, blues, and world music. > unrelated- clearly weird al has some fans here so i think its worth > mentioning hes on tour.. i know he's comeing to The Beacon in nyc (cuz im > gonna b there!) and somewhere in CA but thats all i know.. > > for the record: my name is Elizabeth > > "they traded the 'la's' for a singing WHAT?!? liz, im scared!" > - my friend dani when i told her about the new jkpolk :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 21:01:16 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: doin' the shuffle Talk about weird, I filled my CD changer with 5 TMBG CD's and it played Stairway to Heaven 3 times in a row. Thank you, thank you Andreas ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 23:18:08 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: SEXXY Detector I'm now fully determined not to listen to eather SEXXY or Metal Detector again before their release dates. Sounds silly but I'm waiting 'till I blast them full power in my car. I'm already running the risk of overplaying the wav files I have. Be a shame to get a brand spankin' new CD and already have run through the songs 500 times. Weird Thoughts Andreas ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 20:18:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: And Now We Know On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 GoodOmenz@aol.com wrote: > unless fran takes a detour and sinks brooklyn.. will you guys PLEASE stop talking about me! it's soo insulting! really, though, i wish i could take a detour and, well, grace brooklyn with my presence... ;) bye! the ever-ferocious, fran ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 20:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: And Now We Know >so heres another one for you- The Bells Are Ringing... back to school >anthem.. Er, I haven't even heard this song yet (poor deprived me) but every time I see the title I think of that Edgar Alan Poe poem, I think it's called "The Ringing of the Bells." I just thought I'd share that. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 21:10:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: And Now We Know On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >so heres another one for you- The Bells Are Ringing... back to school > >anthem.. > > Er, I haven't even heard this song yet (poor deprived me) but > every time I see the title I think of that Edgar Alan Poe poem, I think > it's called "The Ringing of the Bells." I just thought I'd share that. whoa, we were just talking about that in school today. "the ringing of the bells" uses the word "tintinlation" or something to that effect, coming straight from the latin word for bells, tintinla or something like that... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 13:34:17 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Fran....I'm still here... On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Leo Bicknell wrote: > > Leo, how y'all making out on the other side of the state? > > Wet, very wet, and still getting wetter. The wind > wasn't to bad here, some small stuff was blown off the trees but > no big branches or anything. We have picked up about 5" of rain > so far, and it's still comming down. Many rivers around here > are already above flood stage. Luckly I live way up on a hill, > if it floods here we're in some serious trouble. :-) We didn't get all that much rain....in fact, when I went out to the Jeep to go to work, the streets were dry. However, in five minutes, that had changed. I'd say we got about an inch total. Our problem was the wind. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."--Harry S. Truman ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG Rocks Boston!!! From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 22:20:35 EDT May I be the first to say that TMBG rocked the Hatch Shell?!?!?!?!!!!! Wow! I was right in the front, and man, was it excellent! Okay, first I have to tell you... I saw Flansburg before the show, behind the hatch shell, and I waved to him and he waved back and smiled!!! Frans waved to ME!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... There was crowd-surfing, but aside form that it was pretty safe. Flans actually requested that we create the world's largest congo-line. And it was the biggest concert I've ever been to!!! WFNX said there was 45,000 people in attendance!!! Wow!!! Okay, here's what they played in the wrong order (sorry): >From the debut: Don't Let's Start >From Lincoln: Ana Ng >From Flood: Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul (Not Constantinople) >From Apollo 18: The Guitar Spider >From John Henry: No One Knows My Plan Snail Shell Spy Also: Why Does the Sun Shine? S.E.X.X.Y. New York James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like a Girl And some other song about how he's not done until his head falls off Sorry if I gave any of the new songs the wrong names. But anyway, I wanna be the first to say it rocked. The only downside was how they ended it. They DID do an encore, but it was "How Can I Sing Like a Girl"-- which is a very good song, but they should've ended it with a song everyone knew. Oh well. That's it. I wanna post this before anyone else posts about it!!! IT ROCKED!!!!! If ANYONE bootlegged it, I want it!!!! I saw two people with camcorders, so if they're on the list, they better fess up and get us some tapes. Also, for my own protection, I may have forgotten one or two songs they did, and I'm sorry if I did. ------------------------------ From: beland@MIT.EDU Subject: Psuedo-science on this list! Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 22:41:09 EDT > >From: Jason A Hoffman >> >SHUFFLE ODDITY: > >Strange but true, the other day I played John Henry on > >shuffle play and the first four songs played in sequence! > > Any actuaries out there that can tell me the probability of this? > > I'm just in High School Calculus, but according to my figures, the > chances of that happening are one in > 673,951,700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. > AKA 1 in 673.9527 vigintillion. Not very likely of happening again, > unless your cd player isn't random. > Aneurin Gray OK, OK, ha ha. Putting out grossly inaccurate figures like that is one reason this country is disintegrating. Assuming your CD player, Jason, was completely random, the chances of this happening would be precisely 1 in 20 to the 4th power (there being 20 tracks on John Henry), or 1 in 160,000. However, many CD players won't play a song again until all the other songs have been played. This would reduce the proability of this happening to 1 in exactly 116,280. This is still not very likey, but is significantly more probable than 1 in 673.9527 vigintillion. Just putting my MIT education to good use. Hmmm... there has also been much discussion on the method CD changers use to pick tracks in shuffle mode. It would be fairly straightforward to calculate this experimentally. To increase the amount of source data, it might be a good idea to not actually listen to the songs, but keep hitting Skip. Then again, this would be a good excuse for a 72-hour TMBG shufflefest. Also, just got back from the Sept. 6 FREE TMBG concert on the Esplenade in Boston. IT wasn't very long, but They played many new songs that will be on their upcoming albulm, along with a few favorites, of course, like Istanbul, the Sun Song, and Birdhouse. It was radically different to the 1st TMBG concert I went to, which was in Northhampton, MA. That was at the Pearl Street nightclub, and there could not have been more than 800 people in that room. Today, there were 45,000 people at the concert, according to NBC. My only wish is that They had been able to play longer. But hey, it was worth the price. Beland ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 22:45:47 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: more about S-E-X-X-Y At 04:16 PM 9/6/96 -0400, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >Well, since this song is such a "hot topic" now, I guess I'll throw in my 2c >(where is a damn cents key on the keyboard???). Press Control-Shift-=AE (I know this is totally useless.Oh well.) About S-E-X-X-Y, I can't really understand some of the lyrics form that .wav file, are the lyrics posted anywhere? ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 23:00:01 -0400 Subject: Re: SEXXY Detector << I'm now fully determined not to listen to eather SEXXY or Metal Detector again before their release dates. Sounds silly but I'm waiting 'till I blast them full power in my car. I'm already running the risk of overplaying the wav files I have. Be a shame to get a brand spankin' new CD and already have run through the songs 500 times. Ah, but that's the insidiousness of TMBG songs--no matter how hard you try to resist listening to them over and over, you just can't do it! You hear them in your brain all day, then in your dreams at night...you sing them in the car, the shower, walking down the street, anywhere, paying no attention to the odd looks you're getting...you even take them out of the car to avoid temptation, only to find one you've conveniently "forgotten" underneath the seats...and when you can't listen to them, you become nervous and edgy, sure that you're slowly going mad... Or maybe that's just me. Kay ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 23:06:23 -0400 Subject: Emanuel Donio Hello, my friend is looking for Emanuel Donio, my friend being Queen Gnat@AOL.COM. If you're out there, she's looking for you. Mark ------------------------------ From: beland@MIT.EDU Subject: More bad theories on CD shuffling Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 23:09:44 EDT On Apollo 18, (which is NOT what the original question was about) there are 38 tracks. As some people have deduced, on a CD player which does NOT repeat a song until all others have been play, the proability of playing the 1st four tracks in a row would be 1 in 38 x 37 x 36 x 35 = 1 in 1,771,560. A totally random player would generate a prob. of 1 in 2,085,136, as previously mentioned. Please note that this number is good for ANY particular sequence of 4 tracks, whether or not they are sequential. Mmm... Prob&Stat 101... The Great Belandini ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 00:20:28 +0000 From: "...hctivodivaD" Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: Hatch Shell, Boston Hey, Just got back from the Hatch Shell concert here in muggy Boston. The show was just absolutely fabulous, totally rockin', & out of this WORLD!!! There had to be a thousand or so people & everyone was cool & laughing & dancing & just generally happy to be there (duh). The Cardigans started the show & were pretty good, but it was still light out & people hadn't really gotten into the mood, yet, so the festivities didn't start until They took the stage. I've enclosed a playlist - there may have been one or two more songs, & the order may have been slightly different, but there you are... Song from new album the name of which I didn't hear Ana Ng Twisting Birdhouse In Your Soul Snail Shell New York City XTC -vs- Adam Ant S-E-X-X-Y The Guitar Istanbul (not Constantinople) James K. Polk Don't Let's Start Spy How Can I Sing Like A Girl Why Does The Sun Shine (encore) Peace, Love, & Freeze Pops; David ...About 96 million miles away, and that's why it looks so small... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 00:26:10 +0000 From: "...hctivodivaD" Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: Ooops... Jeez - I mean, I rarely post & when I do? two mistakes - Chris was right - Sing Like A Girl *was* the encore - & it's 93, not 96 million miles - guess I'm still in the after-glow of the They experience -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-244 ******************************