Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-245 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 245 Sunday, 8 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: And Now We Know Hatch Shell Bells trumpet parts? Re: Can You Picture That? Hatch shell on radio? Re: Can You Picture That? + OAT Bells, cub, and an off-topic, unnamed hurricane. Boston: I missed it Richmond & Providence New Mail Don't kill me Re: Bells, cub, and an off-topic, unnamed hurricane. everything you ever wanted to know about chromosomes Head very similar to a hole Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-244 Special Appearance at Hatch Shell Bobcat? Re: Head very similar to a hole Albany show? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 06 Sep 96 23:40:48 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: And Now We Know --- Almighty Kristen wrote: Er, I haven't even heard this song yet (poor deprived me) but every time I see the title I think of that Edgar Alan Poe poem, I think it's called "The Ringing of the Bells." I just thought I'd share that. --- end of quoted material --- Hey I think I'll write out the whole damn thing! Hear the sledges with there bells, Silver bells! Whta a world of merryment that their harmony fortells how they tinkle tinkle tinkle in the icy air of night. while the stars that oversprinkle all the heavans seem to twinkle with a crystaline delight keeping time time tike in a sort of runic rhyme to the tintinabulation that so musically wells with the bells bells bells bells bells bells bells with the ringing and the singing of the bells. There's more but i'm tired ------------------------------ Date: 06 Sep 96 23:48:25 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Hatch Shell Well tonite I ventured on over to the hatch shell in boston. I bought meself an older t-shirt and got ready for the spectacular event. The opening band was the cardigans who were ok, but I was in the wrong mood. When Flansie walked out I hardly reckognized him. The boy has put on a few. About Linnel kinda lookin at every one, that is what people look like when they're not wearing their glasses so I think that's the explination. They started with older which was excellent. I thought that this show might stay under conntrol. But at the first sound of keyboard from twistin' the crowd went nuts and the moshing began. In general, it was a concert for the people who only own flood and only listen to birdhouse, the acoustics were amazing though. I didn't get a list but the songs they played were: (In random order) Older Twistin Don't lets start Ana ng Birdhouse Istanbul Particle man The Guitar No one knows my plan Spy(with 40's big band improv) Snail Shell S-E-X-X-Y XTC vs Atom ant NYC Some really fast song that Erik went nuts on but they didn't give us a title How can I sing like a girl Until you've seen Erik play guitar on stage, you haven't lived. This kid is incredible. A good horn sectionm too. Awaiting RI, Rob ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1993 02:02:30 -0700 Subject: Bells Here, fellow listies, is the entire poem. Aneurin Gray The Bells I Hear the sledges with the bells- Silver bells! What a world of merriment their melody foretells! How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle, In the icy air of night! While the stars that oversprinkle All the heavens, seem to twinkle With a crystalline delight; Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells From the bells, bells, bells, bells, Bells, bells, bells- From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells. II Hear the mellow wedding bells, Golden bells! What a world of happiness their harmony foretells! Through the balmy air of night How they ring out their delight! From the molten-golden notes, And an in tune, What a liquid ditty floats To the turtle-dove that listens, while she gloats On the moon! Oh, from out the sounding cells, What a gush of euphony voluminously wells! How it swells! How it dwells On the Future! how it tells Of the rapture that impels To the swinging and the ringing Of the bells, bells, bells, Of the bells, bells, bells,bells, Bells, bells, bells- To the rhyming and the chiming of the bells! III Hear the loud alarum bells- Brazen bells! What a tale of terror, now, their turbulency tells! In the startled ear of night How they scream out their affright! Too much horrified to speak, They can only shriek, shriek, Out of tune, In a clamorous appealing to the mercy of the fire, In a mad expostulation with the deaf and frantic fire, Leaping higher, higher, higher, With a desperate desire, And a resolute endeavor, Now- now to sit or never, By the side of the pale-faced moon. Oh, the bells, bells, bells! What a tale their terror tells Of Despair! How they clang, and clash, and roar! What a horror they outpour On the bosom of the palpitating air! Yet the ear it fully knows, By the twanging, And the clanging, How the danger ebbs and flows: Yet the ear distinctly tells, In the jangling, And the wrangling, How the danger sinks and swells, By the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells- Of the bells- Of the bells, bells, bells,bells, Bells, bells, bells- In the clamor and the clangor of the bells! IV Hear the tolling of the bells- Iron Bells! What a world of solemn thought their monody compels! In the silence of the night, How we shiver with affright At the melancholy menace of their tone! For every sound that floats From the rust within their throats Is a groan. And the people- ah, the people- They that dwell up in the steeple, All Alone And who, tolling, tolling, tolling, In that muffled monotone, Feel a glory in so rolling On the human heart a stone- They are neither man nor woman- They are neither brute nor human- They are Ghouls: And their king it is who tolls; And he rolls, rolls, rolls, Rolls A paean from the bells! And his merry bosom swells With the paean of the bells! And he dances, and he yells; Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, To the paean of the bells- Of the bells: Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, To the throbbing of the bells- Of the bells, bells, bells- To the sobbing of the bells; Keeping time, time, time, As he knells, knells, knells, In a happy Runic rhyme, To the rolling of the bells- Of the bells, bells, bells: To the tolling of the bells, Of the bells, bells, bells, bells- Bells, bells, bells- To the moaning and the groaning of the bells. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: trumpet parts? Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 09:04:48 -0500 Where can i get trumpet parts to... maybe NOKMP or anything with a lotta horns?? Blah blah blah... nothing else to say... JOOKY _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 08:25:53 -0800 From: batura@nccn.net (Adam Kline) Subject: Re: Can You Picture That? >If you've seen the Muppet Movie, you should know it. I can never >figure out all the lyrics. > >shep > >Oh yeah! > >Anybody's lover, everybody's brother, I wanna be a lifetime friend >Crazy as a rocket, nothin in my pocket, I keep at the rainbow's end... The complete lyrics come in a booklet that comes with the CD soundtrack, though I'll bet you could find them on a decent lyrics site, too. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | The Simpsons - Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes | | Yah-Yah Littleman - The Police - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - Frank Einstein, Madman - Rutles | ------- People who live in glass houses shouldn't drink poison. --------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:02:04 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Hatch shell on radio? Hi there. Apparently the Hatch Shell concert was simulcast on FM radio. If anyone taped it, please contact me and I will trade with you. Thank you. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Can You Picture That? + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 12:50:46 EDT On Sat, 7 Sep 1996 08:25:53 -0800 batura@nccn.net (Adam Kline) writes: > >The complete lyrics come in a booklet that comes with the CD >soundtrack, >though I'll bet you could find them on a decent lyrics site, too. > The problem with that being that I have the very wonderful LP which has no booklet but lots of really big, really cool pictures... OAT: About 40 names have been entered in the first names questionaire... that only leaves however many more there are... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 13:24:16 -0400 Subject: Bells, cub, and an off-topic, unnamed hurricane. As I've been listening to The Bells Are Ringing, school is not the first thing I've been thinking of. "A girl with cotton in her ears is shielded from the bells effects... " If the Bells are some persuasive force (visions of Greek Mythology are dancing in my head), I can't see their connection to school. On other topics: I'm glad to see They've added "New York City" to the set list. I had the wonderful opportunity to see cub at CMJ a couple of nights ago, and, naturally, they played "NYC." (That was a great show... cub, The Queers, Groovie Ghoulies, Pansy Division, Smugglers, and the Mr. T Experience all in one fine evening! Even Joey Ramone showed up!) And now - even more off-topic - I purchased a cub pillowcase at the show. I think TMBG should make pillowcases. ...Love that cub. Fran The Hurricane: My parentals live in Raleigh, NC, and they recently closed on the sale of their (NC) beach condo. Now how's that for timing? (Their house in Raleigh only suffered some flooding... All the trees fell away from the house.) Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Boston: I missed it Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 13:52:53 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Well - I missed the Boston/Hatch Shell concert (I was hangin' with the rest of my aging baby boomer-peers at the Lyle Lovett show), but I happened to catch a clip of TMBG on das local news last night, and I have one very important question ... Who was the other guitarist playing in the band? Thank you for your time, - Fred. -- Fred Boak Brookline, Massachusetts ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Richmond & Providence Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:22:33 -0400 (EDT) Well I called Brown U about the show supposedly happening there. After calling and being forwarded to Student Activities, they told me to call back at another number, the Brown Concert Association or something but it was just an answering machine saying "leave your name and number and we'll get back to you on your question". So I did that and hopefully they will call me back. As for Richmond, I called Plan 9 and they said there will be either 8 bands and TMBG headlining or 8 bands including TMBG headlining. The place opens at 11am Sunday and the first band goes on at 12 noon. So he didn't know exactly when they'd go on but my guess would be pretty late (7 or later). He also said that they'd play in Charlottsville later and it'd be just them and maybe 1 other band (which might allow for more TMBG playing). Only problem is he said it was 1 1/2 hours *south* of Richmond which is quite a bit far away from DC or Balt. Oh, and I called information for a place called A Taste of DC in Washington, DC but they said there was no listing for any such place with this name. Could this Oct 14 gig just be a bad rumor? Always searching for more information, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:47:42 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: New Mail I just had to try out my new mail thingee and .sig I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 16:02:23 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Don't kill me test *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 16:43:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Bells, cub, and an off-topic, unnamed hurricane. On Sat, 7 Sep 1996 Brooksie2@aol.com wrote: > As I've been listening to The Bells Are Ringing, school is not the first > thing I've been thinking of. "A girl with cotton in her ears is shielded > from the bells effects... " If the Bells are some persuasive force (visions > of Greek Mythology are dancing in my head), I can't see their connection to > school. well, the bells are a very persuasive force in school. ie. when it's time to leave your class, the bell rings. when it's time to be in your next class, the bell rings again...i think you get the picture... sarah ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 16:49:57 -0400 Subject: everything you ever wanted to know about chromosomes xFrom: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 x xDon't you remember the old Devo song from their first xalbum back in 1978, Mongoloid? x x Mongoloid, he was a mongoload x One chromosome too many x Mongoloid, he was a mongoload x And it determined what he could see This sounds like Down's syndrome. The "one chromosome too many" here doesn't determine sex, it's an extra 21st chromosome. It's characterized by mongolian features and mild retardation. This is how I remember it from 9th grade biology, anyway. (2 hrs later) Wow. Look what wonders the encyclopedia holds: *** Chromosome abnormalities can occur from structural defects in the chromosome or from having either more or fewer than the normal 46 chromosomes. Down's syndrome, formerly called mongolism, is caused by an extra 21st chromosome. [I can't believe I was right] Mental retardation is moderate to severe, and the characteristic physical appearance of people with Down's syndrome includes a small skull; a short, flat-bridged nose; and unusually short fingers and neck. Sex chromosome aberrations occur in both males and females. Turner's syndrome arises because one of the two X chromosomes is absent in the female (XO). This results in a short, blocky physique and lack of sexual development. [...] Klinefelter's syndrome, a relatively common human sex-chromosome disorder, occuring at a rate of about one per 700 live male births. It occurs when a sperm carrying both X and Y chromosomes fertilizes a normal ovum. The resulting XXY male characteristically has small testes but a normal-sized penis, a lack of sperm formation, late puberty, usually a delicate and long-limbed physique, occasionally with breast enlargement, and about 25 percent frequency of mental retardation but a much higher frequency of behavioral difficulties. Treatment with male hormones normalizes male appearance and produces a sex drive, but the person with Klinefelter's syndrome remains sterile. *** Compton's- got to love it. Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 17:18:52 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: Head very similar to a hole yes, hi. i was wondering: does anyone know who the 2 people on the phone on track 13 on Misc. T are supposed to be (or are)? for BOBA: yes, the base drum. actually, it says Chaka, and mine is Chakka, because my memory sucks. but, there's a swell Shudder to Think song called Chakka, but that's a coincidence. about the Richmond show: first off, is anyone going? is anyone planning on meeting there? second, Ellen Kao asked if one can buy tickets at the show... i'm not sure. call here: Plan 9 804-353-9996. -Chakka (i'm a Brian, for whoever's counting) ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 17:39:15 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-244 Personally SEXXY reminds me alot of Androgenous Mind by SY (Not SEXXY) (sonic Youth) rather than Bull In the Heather. nick ------------------------------ Subject: Special Appearance at Hatch Shell From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 17:48:15 EDT One very cool thing I forgot to mention about the Boston concert was a special surprise appearance by Bobcat Goldthwait (spelling?) himself!!! He was really funny! He lifted up his shirt and pulled down his pants, made funny noises, and all that other typical Bobcat stuff. It was cool. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Bobcat? Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 00:38:44 -0400 (EDT) > > One very cool thing I forgot to mention about the Boston concert was a > special surprise appearance by Bobcat Goldthwait (spelling?) himself!!! > He was really funny! He lifted up his shirt and pulled down his pants, > made funny noises, and all that other typical Bobcat stuff. It was cool. What the heck was Bobcat doing there? And why was he on stage? Or did he do this in the audience? That is kinda nifty-schnifty. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 23:49:37 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Head very similar to a hole >i was wondering: does anyone know who the 2 people on the phone on track >13 on Misc. T are supposed to be (or are)? > Yes. From the wonderful and informative yet often neglected FAQ: 13. Who is speaking in the song with no name? (track 13 on Miscellaneous T) This song was originally released as one of the B-sides to "(She Was a) Hotel Detective". Tess writes: Dial-a-Song was . . . Flans' answering machine. In the old days, before they might have been giants, people would leave messages after listening to a song. That is where the woman from Misc T comes from. I guess she is just some random message that was left on John's answering machine. Once, the 94th precinct of the police called in to say how great they thought the guys were. and left a message. [And that's where the message in "I'll Sink Manhattan" comes from as well.] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 01:38:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Albany show? Ok, this may sound weird coming from a CMU address all the way here in Pittsburgh, but I'm wondering what the details are on the Albany show on the 27th? That being the one that includes the Violent Femmes. Many, *many* people here are planning on going, but we need to know how and where to get tickets before we decide to drive 8 hours to get there... Any info would be cool. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-245 ******************************