Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-246 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 246 Monday, 9 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Bells Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare RE: S-E-X-X-Y RE: S-E-X-X-Y Re: Bells Re: Head very similar to a hole Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/trade plea Re: Hootie nightmare Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/trade plea Re: Head very similar to a hole Re: Bobcat? Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare Hello bird Re: Hello bird Re: Bobcat? Re: Hello bird Hatch shell video Radio simulcast Wow, i had some shuffle oddities! richmond Re: bells n stuff carrots Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-243 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 03:45:15 -0400 (EDT) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Bells At 02:02 9/7/93 -0700, sgleave@btigate.com wrote: >Here, fellow listies, is the entire poem. > Aneurin Gray > > > >The Bells > > > I > > Hear the sledges with the bells- > Silver bells! > What a world of merriment their melody foretells! > How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle, etc............ Phil Ochs, the guy that wrote One More Parade, turned this poem into a song called Bells (go figure). I never knew it was a poem by Edgar Allan Poe. Learn something new everday. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 04:16:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare Ok I will try again. Does anyone know if the Hatch Shell concert was simulcast on FM radio and if so, did anyone tape it? I have been informed that it was simulcast but it has not been confirmed. Thank you. To those of you who are King Missile fans, I have been informed by ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall that his new solo record, by the John S. Hall band, has been released overseas and he thinks he should be able to distribute the record himself in North America very soon. He has spent this week at a New York music conference where he has been promoting himself and his incredible music. (Well, I have not heard his solo stuff but damn, King Missile rocked!) He's also looking for literary representation, since he is a talented writer of poetry and, I think, short stories. If only he would do a Hello CD release...oh, a man can dream. I have one piece of horrific news. I was informed by our very own Andrew Chapman, a fellow Totonotian, that on October 15, They will be in Totonot to perform, but unfortunately they will be opening for the abysmal Hootie And The Blowfish at the cavernous Skydome. Tickets, which have already gone on sale (that's what I get for not reading Eye Magazine every week, curse my metal body) will cost $35.00 Canadian. Ouch. Of course this is not the experience I was hoping for...I had hoped they would come back to play a show of their own at, say, the Danforth Music Hall, and that there would be a reason for some of you to come on up and see them. Now, however, I can't imagine why any one of you would want to come up here and blow a wad of cash to sit a hundred miles away from them, only to leave after what will probably be a short set before the spawns of the devil appear to appease the brain dead masses. Totonot has historically been a great town for the Johns and I can only hope that they will shortly return after this Hootie bullshit to headline as they should. I don't even know if I'll go to the Hootie thing, since that's a lot of money to drop on a very sad experience...TMBG are not a stadium band!!!!!! Plus, I need my money to support my crack habit. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 10:01:37 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: S-E-X-X-Y OK, so we now know the various personalities and deformities of people with chromosomes of XX, XY, XXY, XYY. But we still haven't got to the real point. What would be the personalities and deformities of people with chromosomes of the form SEXXY ? And how do you spot one ? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 08:21:51 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: RE: S-E-X-X-Y well, i just saw Them last night in Searcy, AR.(middle of nowhere). when They played S-E-X-X-Y, flansburgh said it one of Their songs about "getting it on". i don't know whether this means that our whole discussion about chromosomes is wrong or what. just thought i'd add a little something to the conversation. -john x x xxx xxx xxx xxx x x w o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o z z z z z z z z z z z zzzz just a little something from mr_me (mr_me@tmbg.org) HAVE A DAY! ------------------------------ Date: 08 Sep 1996 11:16:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: Bells Organization: private site running a Cray 2000Mhz supercomputer On 08.09.96, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Here, fellow listies, is the entire poem. > Aneurin Gray Phil Ochs has set this poem to music. Available on "All the news that's fit to sing" which also contains the original "One more parade". _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Head very similar to a hole Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 10:56:05 -0500 (EST) > > Hmmmm, I'm not overly convinced by this although I have to take your word for > this given that you've dragged it from a FAQ (on which site please ?), but it > sounds like to me as tough it is taken from a radio phone in show where it > seems like this woman has phoned in *after* having listened to the Dial-A-Song This comes from John Relph's FAQ at http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and also linkable via the Unofficial website (www.tmbg.org). The story comes straight from the Johns themselves. In the early days of DAS, it was on a regular answering machine that records after playing the outgoing message (the song of the day). They advertised their Dial-A-Song service in a New York newspaper, and apparently Gloria and her friend (who seems to be listening/talking on an extension) dialled it up for whatever reason and then stopped to discuss it, probably unaware that their conversation was being recorded for posterity. If you listen to the recording, you'll notice that *both* Gloria and the male voice are speaking (or recorded) over a telephone line. If he were a DJ and she were calling in, there would be a noticeable difference in the sound quality between their voices (telephone signals are much more severely bandlimited than are radio signals). On the other hand, They are notorious for for telling tall tales... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/trade plea Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 11:04:31 -0500 (EST) Mike Rose writes: > > Ok I will try again. Does anyone know if the Hatch Shell concert > was simulcast on FM radio and if so, did anyone tape it? I have been > informed that it was simulcast but it has not been confirmed. Thank you. Since Mike broached this subject, I will second his plea: If you or a loved one knows of any audio or video tapes of this or any recent TMBG appearance, please get in touch with me and we'll trade! Check out my TMBG trading webpage at URL http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~coon/trade.html Re: ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall > If only he would do a Hello CD release...oh, a man can dream. > Possible, but probably unlikely as Flans has said that Hall's work is a little too "blue" for his taste... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 11:22:31 -0500 From: James Hall Subject: Re: Hootie nightmare At 04:16 AM 9/8/96 -0400, Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: >I don't even know if I'll go to the Hootie >thing, since that's a lot of money to drop >on a very sad experience...TMBG are not a >stadium band!!!!!! Ehheh yeah, but but.... just IMAGINE the conga line! WooWoo!! James :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 12:31:34 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/trade plea >Mike Rose writes: >> >> Ok I will try again. Does anyone know if the Hatch Shell concert >> was simulcast on FM radio and if so, did anyone tape it? I have been >> informed that it was simulcast but it has not been confirmed. Thank you. > > >Since Mike broached this subject, I will second his plea: >If you or a loved one knows of any audio or video tapes of this or any >recent TMBG appearance, please get in touch with me and we'll trade! >Check out my TMBG trading webpage at URL > > http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~coon/trade.html > > > > >Re: ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall >> If only he would do a Hello CD release...oh, a man can dream. >> > >Possible, but probably unlikely as Flans has said that Hall's work >is a little too "blue" for his taste... > >m@t To anyone who is interested, I will be recieving the video tape of the Hatch Shell show. If you are interested E-mail me and I'll respond as soon as I get it. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 13:19:42 -0400 Subject: Re: Head very similar to a hole The Gloria Question... >They advertised their Dial-A-Song service in a New York newspaper And they still do... I've seen D-A-S ads in both the NY Press and the Village Voice. However, as I recall, Gloria does say that she saw the ad in the Voice. I just checked the back page and there's no D-A-S ad there this week. However, this might interest someone... "Female Dominant Love is not what you thought it was, it is even better. For free information call (702) 393-2281." Love, Brooks, who believes the Johns on this point, just because there are some wacky people in this world and especially in this city. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Bobcat? From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 15:06:23 EDT Bobcat was at the show because he was doing his act at the comedy connection that night. Therefore, since he was in town WFNX got him to help mc the schow, and he got to throw in a plug for his act later that night. He was hilarious! He made lots of jokes about the governor smoking pot and stuff like that. He also said to make sure we kept the Hatch Shell clean or the only shows that would be there are "Boston Pops every single f***ing night!!!" Anyway, he was funny. -Chris ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 15:18:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare Yeah, rather a rude shock. The two bands don't even complement each other slightly. (Hooty, in all fairness, should open for Them, not the other way around...) Not even sure I'll bother either... but then I've never seen Them live... Oh the agony, the indecision. One can only hope that when and if they do an album tour, they'll visit the happy burg of Totonot at a real venue. In a vaguely related matter, does anyone know if They'll do a live web broadcast of Their House of Blues gig? (Casa de Blue often uses RealAudio to pump a show over their web site... Again, one can only dream...) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 09:59:04 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Hello bird Does anyone know who drew the Hello Club bird? Was it Flansburgh? I'm talking about the smoking bird on the Hello t-shirt that looks a bit like Crow. Sarah Cooke "If you believe the cosmos is made up of omelette, you build instruments specifically designed to find traces of intergalactic yolk. " --James Burke ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 16:05:00 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Hello bird On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Sarah Cooke wrote: > Does anyone know who drew the Hello Club bird? Was it Flansburgh? I'm > talking about the smoking bird on the Hello t-shirt that looks a bit like > Crow. > On the mailing I got from the Hello club, it says "Hello Bird by Black Angus." Pretty self explanatory... Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 16:24:04 -0400 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Bobcat? >Bobcat was at the show because he was doing his act at the comedy >connection that night. Therefore, since he was in town WFNX got him to >help mc the schow, and he got to throw in a plug for his act later that >night. He was hilarious! He made lots of jokes about the governor >smoking pot and stuff like that. He also said to make sure we kept the >Hatch Shell clean or the only shows that would be there are "Boston Pops >every single f***ing night!!!" Anyway, he was funny. Yeah but the best thing was when he came up later on and said that he had been told that he could no longer get naked or swear, so he no longer had anything to say or do. A topic more TMBG related about the concert, I thought I saw some sort of an emblem on the Orange shirt that flans was wearing, did anyone see what it was? Will Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 17:06:29 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Hello bird On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: > On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Sarah Cooke wrote: > > > Does anyone know who drew the Hello Club bird? Was it Flansburgh? I'm > > talking about the smoking bird on the Hello t-shirt that looks a bit like > > Crow. > > > On the mailing I got from the Hello club, it says "Hello Bird by > Black Angus." Pretty self explanatory... Who, I'm sure, works for Conant Designs...:) ....and they still haven't figured out who Rolf Conant is..... S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 18:34:36 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Hatch shell video Okie dokie, I have the begining lagistics for who wants the video, and so far I have 12 people who have responded. I'm sorry, but I will more than likely require trading of some sort(except under special cases i.e. Statue) If you have no tmbg I'm interested in, fear not. I'mn an opened minded guy and will be willing to make trades for non-tmbg stuff. (But tmbg is a first priority.) DO NOT SEND ME TRADES NOW> WAIT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! That is all, thank you. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:18:05 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Radio simulcast Well, I can assume from the deafening silence that nobody on this list taped the FM simulcast of They Might Be Giants at the Hatch Shell. I have to say I'm very disappointed. The radio signal was flying through the air to be harnessed for free and no one recorded it. I have an excuse, I live in Canada. As for those of you in the listening radius, shame on you. I'll still be your friend, but I won't let you drive the car. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Wow, i had some shuffle oddities! Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:59:47 -0500 Well, yesterday i put john henry on shuffle, and it kept playing the same songs over and over again.... According to my brother ( and as smart as he is, i think he's electrinocallly outdated- he still dosen't belive me that OCR exists ) then this is possible because the way it picks a random number is some crap that something like the osciillators decide, depending on their actions.... So, they could have gotten into a pattern where the lengths of the songs and the exact time i started it and got it in a pattern where it wouldn't break by itself.. Also, as I write this, i am listening to stompbox which i had stuck in my head until i pressed play on thhe cd player on shuffle, HOW CONVEINENT! I may be switching to my not yet official with me alias - Werthers... that or keep snowball in hell, or Agent Wertman.... One of those..... _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: richmond Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 23:13:54 -0400 (EDT) Hi, Could the person who has the inside source at the Richmond concert mail me? Thanks. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 00:55:25 -0400 Subject: Re: bells n stuff whew! glad everyone survived Fra- er, that big huricane thingy safely! back from jersey- torential rains and i built a house of cards with the *whole* friggen deck.. beat that! plus i was rendered completely They-less for 2 days cuz we lost power =p and me without my walkman... i didnt really think the bells are ringing was about school.. but it works and thats what im thinking of these days so i mentioned it.. since we've apparently posted muppet lyrics and poe i might as well make the next digest really long so heres tmbg, the bells from crappy DAS tape (sorry if this breaches some netiquette unbeknownst to me): the bells are ringing the song there singing the sound thats bringing the people round they hear the instrutions they follow directions they travel great distances to the sound they are presuaded by the music of the bells theyre not responsible for anything they do the people know the way to go the bells are ringing they hear the sound the bells are ringing and everyones walking as if suspended in a trance forgetting their washing and >something< the children theyre dropping all busineses at hand a voice is telling them to act a different way they tilt their heads so they wont miss what it will say a girl with cotton in her ears... is shielded fromt he bells effect.. as if by hidden signal the people turn to >something< _____ ______ ______ ______ they pull away her earplugs the bells are pealing and theyre revealing the simple key to happieness it isnt ___ it isnt ____ ____ ___ the people guessed the bells explain what theyve been lacking all along they were disorganized and that was what was wrong and now they know way to go the bells are ringing they hear the sound damn, ive been listening to that too much.. plus i was called upon to remember the # for DAS (still dead, RIP) today and without thinking i replied "718-387-6962.. freewhenyoucallfromwork" they must have tatooed it on my brain while i was sleeping.. guess im a REAL fan now (*grin*, joke) back to skull, liz who's apologetic for takeing up so much space =( oh yeah- double however many chromosomes a person has = a carrot! i know that fits in here somewhere... hmmm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 01:04:55 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: carrots At 12:55 AM 9/9/96 -0400, you wrote: >oh yeah- double however many chromosomes a person has = a carrot! i know that >fits in here somewhere... hmmm > Wow, carrots are a lot more complicated than I thought. Jason nummer drei. /////////////////////GOOD MUSIC CHEAP\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ##_####_## from | | ## /@ /@ # ___________ | | # ,___\___, < Lookit Meee! ) | | # \+++++/ Records | | ----~| |~---- | | All LP length cassettes!! $5 plus shipping | | write to Jason Nesmith 1226 Stoneybrook Dr. SE | | Atlanta, GA 30316 --or-- | | email jnesmith@mindspring.com for details | visit the Orange Hat cyberhose page!! www.mindspring.com/~jnesmith ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 01:30:09 -0400 From: Pat Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-243 How do I get off this list? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-246 ******************************