Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-247 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 247 Tuesday, 10 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-243 TURMOIL!!! HOLA Boba Mail:Hello, Metropol,Request FW: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare Hey, it's Monday night....and you KNOW what that means..... monopuff tapes stuff Re: bells n stuff TMBG on Modern Rock Live Re: And Now We Know TMBG vs. John S. Hall TMBG vs. John S. Hall icouldcomeupwithacleversubject,butimnotthatsmooth Re: TMBG on Modern Rock Live Re: TMBG on Modern Rock Live shuffle mode coolness Bands They don't like... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 02:33:39 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-243 On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Pat wrote: > How do I get off this list? > Take a running jump. Mike --------------------------flippy@yucc.yorku.ca------------------------- "Here comes XTC around the mountain. They're holding a death ray." They Might Be Giants:John Flansburgh&John Linnell/King Missile/XTC/Ween **********************RYERSON FILM: CLASS OF 1996********************** !!Brazil/Batman/Aliens/2001/Evil Dead II/The Simpsons/TV Nation/MST3K!! "I k i c k a s s f o r t h e L o r d ! ! !" -------------------http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy-------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 08:08:40 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: TURMOIL!!! TURMOIL!!! TMBG are playing a mere 10 minutes from my house! But with that hootie gang... $27.50? Maybe I'll just go and hand around the loading bay for free or hire myself on as a gopher... ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: HOLA Date: Mon, 09 Sep 96 08:34:00 P Hey, It's me, brenden - nednerB . Yes, and I'm back from the best summer of my life! I have a few important question. 1) new album????? any word yet? 2) Superfueled Freaksickle?????? any word yet? Please help me, so that I will not be completely clueless way up here in belling ham washington. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 10:37:15 EST Subject: Boba Mail:Hello, Metropol,Request Andreas wrote: > Talk about weird, I filled my CD changer with 5 TMBG CD's and it played > Stairway to Heaven 3 times in a row. I just felt that this needed to be printed again, for the sake of my bloody mind. Hey guess what I found in my dresser!! SOCKS! Guess what else!! This cool advertisement for HELLO! I got in March 95 at the show They did at Metropol in Pittsburgh. Did any one else get one during that tour. I will ask this question also (again) but no one ever has the correct answer so I will just start to cry again for an infinite number of years. Um anyway, Does any one have a copy of that show on tape? (Pittsburgh-March-'95) Thanks for reading write soon. Boba Has Just Left The Building. -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 07:52:13 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Hatch Shell/John S. Hall/Hootie nightmare To those of you who are King Missile fans, I have been informed by ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall that his new solo record, by the John S. Hall band, has been released overseas and he thinks he should be able to distribute the record himself in North America very soon. He has spent this week at a New York music conference where he has been promoting himself and his incredible music. (Well, I have not heard his solo stuff but damn, King Missile rocked!) He's also looking for literary representation, since he is a talented writer of poetry and, I think, short stories. Hello from ShepWorld, population 1. Not being a die-hard King Missile fan, I personally did not realize that Hall left the band. I'm curious, then, as to who is fronting the group, since they're playing Rochester in the next couple o' months at Milestones, which is usually where they've always played when they come to town. I don't remember the exact date, but I know if you go to wber.monroe.edu on the Web, and click over to the "Concerts and Live Shows" link, they're listed there. I learned how to say "My name is vichy-suiss" in French this weekend. It doesn't mean much, but it sure impresses people who have no clue. Hurricane Shep scourge of the east coast hide your childrens ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 08:05:10 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Hey, it's Monday night....and you KNOW what that means..... For all those who stay up late enough to care.... Let's not forget that this is Monday, and Mondays at Midnight means Shep's Nugfest! For those who obviously aren't in the Rochester area, if you have a sound card, get on the web and get over to http://wber.monroe.edu and click on the link to "Real Audio", where you can download Real Audio software. This allows you to meander back to that WBER web page and listen to moi over the computer! Who would've thought, right? Tonight is the special "Back To School" edition of Shep's Nugfest, which doesn't mean much of anything as far as content's concerned. It's just a snazzy name. Word of the day for yours truly: scuzzy. I'm sure I'm not spelling it correctly in the "technical" sense (in reference to UNIX, I think?).....i.e. "....the size of his scuzzy...." I'll ask tonight when I get coffee at the Hub. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html 90.5 FM WBER.....new Tool and Marilyn Manson! Jinkies! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: monopuff tapes Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:33:30 -0400 (EDT) To those who have sent me tapes/money in the past few days for the Monopuff tape, do not worry. I have been overloaded lately with a little work but I promise that I'll have these suckers out by no later than this Friday evening or Saturday morning. I apologize for the slight delay, I belive there are about 3 people who sent to me and are waiting at this moment. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 10:44:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: stuff Ok, I just got back, so you'll have to answer some questions for me. Where are people getting the WAV. of SEXXY? Any TMBG VIDEO BOOTLEG VOL. II yet? I love the first one... Bobcat rules. Has anyone seen his crappy sitcom on the WB, with the talking rabbit? I didn't think so. Liam "What in god's name is going on here? Ahh, the devil is amongst us. Stay back boy. This calls for divine intervention! I KICK ASS FOR THE LORD!" - The priest from "Dead Alive" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 14:55:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: bells n stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Sep-96 Re: bells n stuff by GoodOmenz@aol.com > back from jersey- torential rains and i built a house of cards with the > *whole* friggen deck.. beat that! I made one with three decks of cards once. -a man who was once a child with way too much free time -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 17:29:14 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: TMBG on Modern Rock Live I just listened to a message on my answering machine. It was my friend telling me that They were on Modern Rock Live last night. I can't believe we missed this! DId anyone know about this, not tell the list, and tape it? If so, I really really want to do a trade. john kong drauss ------------------------------ Subject: Re: And Now We Know Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 16:56:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Sarah Kunz: >> it's called "The Ringing of the Bells." I just thought I'd share that. > whoa, we were just talking about that in school today. "the ringing of >the bells" uses the word "tintinlation" or something to that effect, >coming straight from the latin word for bells, tintinla or something >like that... "Tintinnabulation", which is derived from the Latin "tintinnabula", or "little bell". Tintinnabula was apparently also a popular name for Roman girls. In the musical "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum", one of the "maids" for sale was named Tintinnabula (of course, she had tons of bells on.) ObTMBG: Calling Flood Fans "Flood Fans" to their face can be dangerous. Proceed with caution. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:27:26 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: TMBG vs. John S. Hall Well, a few days ago I wrote to John S. Hall and asked him if he had ever been approached regarding the Hello CD club. This was his response to me: "I like They Might Be Giants, but I don't think they like me so much." I know a lot of us Giant Heads also love King Missile, and, well, it just seems wrong that there would be this kind of feeling in the air betweeen John S. Hall and the two Johns. Hell, they're all named John. What as responsible citizens can we do about this? Mike. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG vs. John S. Hall Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:55:51 -0400 (EDT) > > Well, a few days ago I wrote to John S. Hall and asked him if he > had ever been approached regarding the Hello CD club. This was his > response to me: > > "I like They Might Be Giants, but I don't think they like me so > much." > > I know a lot of us Giant Heads also love King Missile, and, well, > it just seems wrong that there would be this kind of feeling in the air > betweeen John S. Hall and the two Johns. Hell, they're all named John. > What as responsible citizens can we do about this? Brainwash the Johns into liking them? -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 16:14:14 CST Subject: icouldcomeupwithacleversubject,butimnotthatsmooth Okay kids, I've never written before, but now I'm desperate. I need to vent. IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS SINCE I SAW THEM. and that was in Boston i might add. All this talk of Them playing every damn city on the east coast is starting to get me wanting to kill. WHEN ARE THEY EVER GOING TO BE IN THE MID-WEST? I'm stuck in FREAKING INDIANA for at least the next two years.I just got here two weeks ago, and already I am going mad. Yeah, I have you guys to keep me smiling, but really, I need a fix. And now I may never see Them again. (By the way, I stopped reading for awhile. we're talking Flesh Fest 96 era was the last time I was reading faithfully. I came back just recently. What the hell is this bullshit about Linnel whining and Them breaking up? iwilldiefirst.) And Even if they DO play out here, it'll be inChicago, sometime this fall. I won't get to go. since everyone at this university is dumb as hell about his stuff! (That's right children, 311 is NOT a new band, and yes No Doubt SUCKS.) Where can I get to hear the new songs?? So the only thing I hve to count on is the new album. Why isn't it Freaksicle anymore? I know this is a bit out of nowhere and off topic, but please.Somebody help me. I feel like I'm in well... THE GOD DAMNED MID-WEST! no offense to any of you midwesterners out there, but really, don't you feel left out? please don't flame me. I'm going to transfer if it doesn't get any better. I'm not kidding. ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 07:50:56 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG on Modern Rock Live > I just listened to a message on my answering machine. It was my friend > telling me that They were on Modern Rock Live last night. I can't > believe we missed this! DId anyone know about this, not tell the list, > and tape it? If so, I really really want to do a trade. > > john kong drauss > I got all the entire time They were on the radio on tape. It'd about 45 minutes, they played S-E-X-X-Y and Until My Head Falls Off off of the new album. They were on with Nada Surf after the Point Fest. Anyone interested, email me and I'll hook you up... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:41:43 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Re: TMBG on Modern Rock Live very very interested in a copy of TMBG on modern rock live. I have some stuff to trade, but if you have it all I could send you a tape? Please let me know. I could kick myself for not knowing that they were on. Thanks! Nola -----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*- "But sweetheart, everyone around me ends up going insane." --*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*---- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 21:06:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: shuffle mode coolness Just had to respond to Matt James' comment: > P.S. I just put Lincoln on shuffle and it played They'll Need a Crane > and Where Your Eyes Don't Go in a row, it was great! My favorite is when I have A18 on shuffle mode, and it goes directly from, "Please pass the milk, please" to "Mammal." Heehee. =) =) Kylee ------------------------------ Subject: Bands They don't like... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:27:54 EDT I just thought I'd put this in here, They don't like the following "bands": King Missle "Weird Al" Yankovic I've gotten this from the current discussion about King Missle and something I read in the newsgroup a long time ago during the 'everything you know is wrong' craze... I was thinking that They sort of have this sort of holier than thou attitude in which Spoken Word and Parody are subpar (although in certain cases, the latter is)... I was wondering if there were any other pretty good bands that people know They specificly don't think... I'm also thinking, right now, that I'm going to pay for this post, although I usually do... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-247 ******************************