Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-248 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 248 Wednesday, 11 September 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG in Vegas and Weird Al (none) RE: Hoosier TMBG Withdrawel Bands They don't like... European shows Re: Radio simulcast Re: icouldcomeupwithacleversubject,butimnotthatsmooth tintinnabulation Re: Hatch Shell Video RE: TMBG in UK Oopsie Re: Bands They don't like... New TMBG box set! New TMBG box set! tmbg in anywhere apart from the us modern rock live Re: New TMBG box set! songs Re: songs RE: Hoosier TMBG Withdrawel Check this out now! Re: Check this out now! stuff New Tour stuff!!! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Lysee101@aol.com Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:16:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG in Vegas and Weird Al Well, I have checked the website daily and still no sign of TMBG in Vegas. However, a concert was just announced that will include Gin Blossoms, Better Than Ezra, and Violent Femmes.... who are supposed to be touring with the Johns, right? Does ANYONE out there know anything about when or if my heroes will be blessing me with their presence? Or even if they will be at the above mentioned concert? As for Weird Al (Ike... this is for you) do you know for sure (from a John's mouth) if They really don't like him? The only reason I ask is that Weird Al was at an L.A. show once, so I know he's a Giants fan. I would think it would be mutual. Maybe not? That's it........ make a little birdhouse in your soul, ilyse in vegas ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:52:58 PST I don't know if this question has been asked before cos I'm new to the list, but will we ever see another UK tour from TMBG? xxx Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:40:00 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: RE: Hoosier TMBG Withdrawel Hi, my name is Jasoooooon Hoffman, and I too am a Hoosier. Your best bet to see them, assuming they go back to club gigging after this Hootie affair blows over, is the Vogue in Indy. They have played there once for every new album. However, I don't usually get their newsletter listing that date until exactly one week after the concert. But that was before the web.... ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Bands They don't like... Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:46:20 -0400 (EDT) > "bands": > > King Missle > "Weird Al" Yankovic > > I've gotten this from the current discussion about King Missle and > something I read in the newsgroup a long time ago during the 'everything > you know is wrong' craze... I was thinking that They sort of have this > sort of holier than thou attitude in which Spoken Word and Parody are > subpar (although in certain cases, the latter is)... I was wondering if > there were any other pretty good bands that people know They specificly > don't think... I'm also thinking, right now, that I'm going to pay for > this post, although I usually do... I've heard that they really don't like Wally Pleasant. -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: European shows Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:52:34 -0400 (EDT) > I don't know if this question has been asked before cos I'm new > to the list, but will we ever see another UK tour from TMBG? > One would assume that with a new album and a World Tour being promoted that they would hit the UK. ya never know though, they could run out of gas and their plane may never land. On the XTC front, there is an article in Q magazine for Fossil Fuel (and the history of the band). This compilation is due out early '97 and might be interesting, especially if they put on b-sides that are harder to find. The article bashes them with the fact that they haven't really had a good single since Senses Working Overtime (except of course for Dear God). They also said Mummer and the Big Express pretty much sucks which, IMO, is totally untrue. Ah well, damn critics don't know anything ;) Any album by this band is worth getting. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:40:43 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: Radio simulcast >Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:18:05 -0400 (EDT) >From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >To: Aneurysm >Subject: Radio simulcast > > > Well, I can assume from the deafening silence that nobody on this >list taped the FM simulcast of They Might Be Giants at the Hatch Shell. I >have to say I'm very disappointed. The radio signal was flying through >the air to be harnessed for free and no one recorded it. I have an >excuse, I live in Canada. As for those of you in the listening radius, >shame on you. I'll still be your friend, but I won't let you drive the >car. > > Mike > > Don't get so cocky. There was no simulcast, and no plans for any broadcasting of the Hatch Shell concert (this directly from the sponsoring radio station). So shame right back at ya. KOK ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:23:48 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: icouldcomeupwithacleversubject,butimnotthatsmooth hey, i gotta agree, the mid-west sucks(i'm in arkansas) and They played one show here lately(in searcy, a little bity town in the middle of nowhere,er i mean, in the middle of arkansas, same thing). i was lucky enough to see Them, but i'm sure They won't be back for a couple years. oh well. just thought i'd agree that if you aren't on the east coast, or in a "big" city, your chances of seeing Them aren't great. x x xxx xxx xxx xxx x x w o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o z z z z z z z z z z z zzzz just a little something from mr_me (mr_me@tmbg.org) HAVE A DAY! ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: tintinnabulation Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 12:31:07 -0500 I remember that poem from a long time ago. Would whomever posted that poem please e-mail it to me? It would be much appreciated. It ended up getting lost. Thanks. Ana Ng P.S. The first single, "SEXXY," comes out Sept. 24; the album, _Factory Showroom_, comes out Oct. 8. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:38:57 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Hatch Shell Video >Hey Rob! >I heard y'all saw them in Boston and are talking of seeing them again >in R.I.... I'd be interested in joining you as I want to see them on >this tour (I've seen the last two tours as well)... Let me know what >your dad and you come up with... >What song did they open with in Boston? The post just said and >I am a connaisseur of old TMBG... >I'd also be itnerested in checking out that video sometime... The song "Older" is acctually a song off of their upcoming album, some of the other songs in the list were too. They were... How can I sing like a girl? S-E-X-X-Y NYC James K polk And one other that I ferget. You can have a video when I get it, but you will be 22nd in line. I SUPPOSE I could make an exception. :) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 18:57:56 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: TMBG in UK >I don't know if this question has been asked before cos I'm new >to the list, but will we ever see another UK tour from TMBG? Wow! A TMBG fan in the UK and still prepared to admit it! Hi there - meet the other one!! (Its so difficult to work out who lives where in this Web thingy - there's probably hundreds of us Brits and I don't even know it!). Just about everyone else on this list seems to live somewhere around wherever Hurricane Fran (sorry that's not you Fran!) has just passed through in the USA. Where all the soddin' concerts are as well by the sounds of it. YOU LUCKY GITS!!!!! ;-) All I've heard about the tour is that it is supposed to be a WORLD tour yet I've seen no UK dates and I'm pretty glued to the Web and NME for the break of the news. Does anyone know who we could ask/petition/physically threaten for some dates ? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:45:41 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Oopsie To all people on the list, kindly disregard my last post. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just got a mail program so I can use .sigs JOY! ============== ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Bands They don't like... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:59:47 EDT On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:46:20 -0400 (EDT) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >I've heard that they really don't like Wally Pleasant. That was just a personal attack, I may have to go to Baltimore and kill someone... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:15:27 -0500 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: New TMBG box set! I just heard this from the newsgroup and thought I'd pass it along. There will be a new TMBG box set with old and new songs. Check out http://www.restless.com/giants.html for info! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:15:27 -0500 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: New TMBG box set! I just heard this from the newsgroup and thought I'd pass it along. There will be a new TMBG box set with old and new songs. Check out http://www.restless.com/giants.html for info! ------------------------------ Subject: tmbg in anywhere apart from the us Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:50:35 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Martin Baker wrote: > All I've heard about the tour is that it is supposed to be a WORLD tour yet > I've seen no UK dates and I'm pretty glued to the Web and NME for the break of > the news. Does anyone know who we could ask/petition/physically threaten for > some dates ? likewise for australia...i missed them last time they were here :( tamara. p.s. hi to everyone, im new here. ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:48:34 +0005 Subject: modern rock live ok, here's the deal, I got such a huge response to this. If I haven't talked to you about a trade or something like that, just send your tape of preference. It's approx. 40 minutes. Oh yeahh, also send a self addressed stamped envelope to: Doug Haas 952 Woodcreek Drive Milford, OH 45150 BTW- if I am trading, I will be using some kind of 60 minute tape, either sony or maxell, not sure if CrO2 or not yet. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 21:02:01 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: New TMBG box set! At 05:15 PM 9/10/96 -0500, Jeff Gustafson wrote: >I just heard this from the newsgroup and thought I'd pass it along. >There will be a new TMBG box set with old and new songs. Check out >http://www.restless.com/giants.html for info! > > A Boxed Set?!? On the Restless label?!? There's no info really on the website, but will this include only songs from their BarNone/Restless albums?!? Speaking of this sort of thing, does anyone have more info on Superfueled Freakcicle?? This is going to be like a Misc T Vol.2 with some unreleased songs on it too, right? And what about the rumor I heard on the newsgroup about an Elektra TMBG 2-CD set thing, is there any truth to this? But, back to the box set... 73 songs -18 unreleased --------------- 55 (Somebody continue this,help me out with how many songs were on the singles and what all was duplicated on Misc T, and .... I'm tired or typing... oh well. I've planted the basic idea. Somebody run with it.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: songs Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 21:07:50 -0400 (EDT) Well, all incarnations of songs I count something like 154 or 155 songs (I forgot how many b-sides on Statue). Now you can subtract 1 for #13 on Misc T and 21 Fingertips if you choose and then there's something like 132 or 133. Course this is all incarnations of songs and includes covers. Oh wait make that 134 or 135, I forgot about O'Tannenbaum. This is *ONLY* released songs on CD or the O'tannenbaum 7". -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: songs Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:23:41 -0700 I think in the 73 song Restless compilation it will only cover pre-Flood material, i.e. TMBG, Lincoln, and assorted b-sides(Misc. T), plus the 18 unreleased songs referenced on the web site. Would this make it superfluous to have any Restless TMBG CDs? 'Cuz that would have to be just about all of the songs from that era. ---------- > From: Matthew James > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: songs > Date: Tuesday, September 10, 1996 6:07 PM > > Well, all incarnations of songs I count something like 154 or 155 > songs (I forgot how many b-sides on Statue). Now you can subtract > 1 for #13 on Misc T and 21 Fingertips if you choose and then > there's something like 132 or 133. Course this is all incarnations of > songs and includes covers. Oh wait make that 134 or 135, I forgot > about O'Tannenbaum. This is *ONLY* released songs on CD or the > O'tannenbaum 7". > > -- > -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ > Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC > Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:47:49 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: RE: Hoosier TMBG Withdrawel On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Jason A Hoffman wrote: > Hi, my name is Jasoooooon > Hoffman, and I too am a > Hoosier. Your best bet to see > them, assuming they go back to > club gigging after this Hootie > affair blows over, is the > Vogue in Indy. > Which is all well and good if you're over 21, which I, a poor, deprived hoosier, have not been since I started to dig TMBG. (who was also tortured by seeing TMBG advertised at the Vogue in Nuvo and knowing that I can't go...). So for all of you underage TMBG'ers here in Indiana (gosh, I love the laws in this state...ack! I saw a beer can! I'm an alcoholic!) your best bet is to go to Bogarts in Cinncinati. Althought you are contending with TMBG fans from two states, I think it is worth it to see Them, yes? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:00:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Check this out now! Check this out NOW if you have not!!!!! http://www.restless.com/giants.html Josh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:38:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Re: Check this out now! On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Josh wrote: > Check this out NOW if you have not!!!!! > > http://www.restless.com/giants.html Yeah, I checked it out -- I think its great! Is it a 10-year anniversary sorta thing, or is is just time to do a box set? And as has already been asked, I'd like any solid info available on this Freaksicle album that's allegedly coming out soon. Oh, and the DC show that's coming up real soon -- is it for real or not? And to REM fans: get the new album. It rocks! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 23:32:07 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: stuff Hello, I am a new subscriber to the digest and an 8-year fan of They. But i was also a poor fan and never did anything but buy their albums and wait for the next one, by the way did anyone notice that their normal albums are released every two years: '86, '88, '90,..etc., sorry my mind slipped. Anyway I was wondering what bootleg and other stuff video/audio is available and where I can get it. I have nothing to trade but will provide tapes. You can reach me at oskin@epix.net. Also Ralph M. DeSarro is not my name it's my father's 'cause this is his computer. My name is Michael. Thanx. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 00:12:26 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: New Tour stuff!!! I don't know if anyone knows this stuff yet, but i think it's news. i found some dates and cities They are playing for the next 2 months, and when They play with Hootie. The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN. They will play 10 venues total. some cities on that tour include: East Lansing(10-18), Toledo(10-20), Champaign, Fort Wayne(10-24). Also, four bands playing with Them in Richmond are: Agents of Good Roots, Everything, Gibb Troll Band, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. And last, other cities(non-Hootie): 10-9 Memphis, 10-10 Knoxville, 10-14 Taste of D.C.(Wash. D.C.[i know some people were wondering about this one]). the D.C. show is just They playing. if anyone wants to know what venues or who's playing with Them, ask. i'll probably just post everything i found, though. -Chakka (i can't believe They're doing ONE show with Hootie, let alone TEN!!!!!!!) what kind of world is this??!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-248 ******************************