Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-249 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 249 Thursday, 12 September 1996 Today's Topics: Don't Let's Start 12" Maxi Single - Trade? Shows and other things Aussie fan!!! RE: TMBG in UK A Taste of DC No trolls here, man Anyone see the Boston show? ??? re:TMBG show in Gainesville, FL Geez, people... Re: A Taste of DC Taste of DC hELLO Charlottesville, VA (none) Hootie Re: Shows and other thingsn Re: Hootie Re: hELLO Re: New Tour stuff!!! Education Re: Hootie Re: Hootie Re: New Tour stuff!!! Re: Education the big duluth, the TMBG shuffle, Hootie, and flans' shoes Shep elaborates on Sarah's multiple themes. HELP!!! Re: Education RE: Hootie RE: hELLO Re: hELLO Strange coincidences w/Wierd Al FW: hELLO Re: Hootie songs to make you think Re: Hootie Re: FW: hELLO Richmond bands Modern Rock Live ---- READ THIS popularity money and other interesting topics richmond show oops Re: popularity money and other interesting topics Administrivia Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) More new tour info!! Re: Strange coincidences w/Wierd Al Re: New Tour stuff!!! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 23:26:02 -0800 From: batura@nccn.net (Adam Kline) Subject: Don't Let's Start 12" Maxi Single - Trade? Dear friends, Digging through some boxes at a record store in Auburn today rewarded me with a mint-condition Don't Let's Start 12" Maxi Single (b/w We're the Replacements, When It Rains It Snows, and The Famous Polka). I'd be interested in trading it for a TMBG : Live in NY CD, Linnell's State Songs Hello CD, or perhaps a copy of Power of Dial-A-Song. All those interested can feel free to e-mail me personally. Take care. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | The Simpsons - Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes | | Yah-Yah Littleman - The Police - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - Frank Einstein, Madman - Rutles | ------- People who live in glass houses shouldn't drink poison. --------- ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 02:39:02 -0400 Subject: Shows and other things Hello 41- First some news. I got word that TMBG is playing a show in Jacksonville Florida October 5th at the Milkbar. I am psyched. Indiana- I recall hearing that TMBG played there in the spring, but it was at some weird country/western bar type place. I'd take the trek to Ohio or Illinois for a show... Restless comp- My guess is there will be a bunch of DAS tracks or songs that have not really been heard anywhere. Off hand, I belive there are more than 20 unreleased ones. Hootie and related- I think part of the thing here is that many people are used to, with TMBG, the headliner to bring around bands that they are friends with, like Brian Dewan, Eugene Chadbourne, or the Ordinaires opening for TMBG. I don't think this is the deal with Hootie and TMBG, but who knows. I will have to think about this for awhile before I decide what to think. Nit ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:32:15 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Aussie fan!!! >> All I've heard about the tour is that it is supposed to be a WORLD tour yet >> I've seen no UK dates and I'm pretty glued to the Web and NME for the break of >> the news. Does anyone know who we could ask/petition/physically threaten for >> some dates ? >likewise for australia...i missed them last time they were here :( Well, they should be back... I mean they've been here a few times before. I did catch them last time and they were really excellent!!! One great support band to by the name of The Whitlams. Any spare TMBG singles you're willing to sell me, Tamara? :) next time, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:00:08 PST Subject: RE: TMBG in UK This is too exciting! Brits discover Brits thanks to the marvels of modern technology Which is nice....... I remember going to see them on the Flood tour way back in 1990 and loving every moment of it (even The Ordinaires) - but being deemed too young at the age of 16 to stay at the gig (at Leicester University, fact fans) after midnight So you see I haven't yet had a complete TMBG experience - so they have to play over here xxx Moggy ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: A Taste of DC Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:20:24 -0400 (EDT) > Also, four bands playing with Them in Richmond are: Agents of Good > Roots, Everything, Gibb Troll Band, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. At Plan 9 in Richmond they said that there wil be 8 bands playing with TMBG headlining... > > And last, other cities(non-Hootie): 10-9 Memphis, 10-10 Knoxville, > 10-14 Taste of D.C.(Wash. D.C.[i know some people were wondering about this According to DC information there is no such place as a Taste of DC in existence, anywhere in the city. Is this place being built especially for the TMBG show? What's the word? I'll ask around to my DC buddies. > > -Chakka (i can't believe They're doing ONE show with Hootie, let > alone TEN!!!!!!!) what kind of world is this??!! I can't believe they are doing this. Ah well, at least they'll make some bucks. By the way, flash flood warnings all over MD and DC, 2 and 1/2 hour drive to work today!! acks Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Delphin7@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:46:00 -0400 Subject: No trolls here, man In a message dated 96-09-11 10:26:24 EDT, you write: << Gibb Troll Band >> Sorry, this isn't related to Them, really, but the band you are thinking of is the Gibb Droll Band. (This is an easy mistake, I thought that was their name at first, too. By the way, if you can...go. they rock!) Thanks, Lis ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:53:28 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Anyone see the Boston show? Good Mornin' everyone, I just subscribed back to the list after having gone through a hurrican ridden vacation. I missed the Hatch Shell show. I went back to the digest at tmbg.org but it only has listings through Friday. I just want to see what I missed.... Thanks for you help, drg ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:28:02 +0000 Subject: ??? re:TMBG show in Gainesville, FL Anyone one know anything about the three day music festival at the Alachua County Fairgrounds in Gainesville, FL? It's supposed to be in early October. Which day will TMBG be playing? Can I get tickets for that part of the show? While the whole event sounds killer, (Bootsy Collins, George (P-funk) Clinton and others in addition to TMBG) I'm really only interested in Them. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:53:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Geez, people... Someone has to know details about the Albany show on the 27th. The home page only has the date and a vague location. Does anyone know about this? I live 8 hours away, as do the many other people I know who are planning on going, but without ticket information, there's no way we can go, and that would be tragic. Here's what I know: Friday, September 27th. Albany, NY. Here's what I don't know: Ticket price. Starting time. Access limitations. (over 21? students only?) Where in Albany exactly? Someone, please help us out. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:01:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Skarah Subject: Re: A Taste of DC On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > 10-14 Taste of D.C.(Wash. D.C.[i know some people were wondering about this > According to DC information there is no such place as a Taste of DC > in existence, anywhere in the city. Is this place being built > especially for the TMBG show? What's the word? I'll ask around > to my DC buddies. A Taste of DC is a festival, not a place, that's why DC information can't give you a number for it. I'm working on finding out more about it, though, so don't you all worry :) I'll let you know what I find out! Sarah * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * Sarah J. Rickter WMC Box 1124 "This good luck charm 2 College Hill hanging off my arm Westminster, MD was left here by the 21157-4390 police"--TMBG ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 12:48:39 EDT Subject: Taste of DC Chakka (was that the name?) claims to know for certain that They are playing Taste of DC on Oct 14. Can you post the details for this? Where is the venue, what is it like, how do we obtain tickets, how much do tickets cost, etc? Greg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 From: Peter May Subject: hELLO Hello, TMBG Mailing List-ers... I beseech all of you, to please let me know if you can send me CD or Cassette copies of rare recordings of TMBG, like 1985 Demo Tape, I Palindrome I, Dr. Spock's Backup Band, etc. If you can offer the albums but don't have dubbing equipment, I can arrange to send collateral... I can dub tapes or CDs (onto tapes). Any offers concerning videos tapes cds or vinyls in the $15 to $20 vicinity would be much appreciated!!!! 1. No tengo las musicas (or something) I do not have many albums. In fact, the only TMBG albums I have are Flood, Apollo 18, and my recently obtained John Henry. And I have plans to obtain Factory Showroom ASAP. Can someone give me a list of of stuff I don't have? 2. Can someone tell me how or where to get rare singles and demo tapes? 3. On Flood's last track (Road Movie) there is a line on the lyric sheet that is never actually sung. What happened to it? 4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, behind the sharp sitar tones, I turned up the volume very loud and noticed another song playing. Then my ears were blown off by the start of If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the song for me? Other thingees and do-hickeys coming later!!!!! Meanwhile, visit my page. Sink-serenely, TriOmen TriOmen@wow.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ps_freq/ TMBG rules, but don't forget Woodstock 1969... Later <8-~/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:16:40 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Charlottesville, VA While in Charlottesville, VA I picked up the local paper (The Daily Progress) and it said that They will be playing at a club called Trax. However, I forget which date. Sorry. But, this is REALLY cool news for people in the area, I'm sure!!!! drg ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:52:40 EDT As far as I know, the Trax date (Charlottesville, VA, Sep 23) is correct. It better be, as I have already purchased tickets! What I don't understand is why the official page lists some other place (something in NY, I think) for that date. Greg ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:24:43 CST Subject: Hootie I just thought of something that totally slipped my mind before. A lot of stupid people listen to Hootie. Including girls that wear "boob shirts"(that's their name, not mine.) guys who drink a lot of beer, and just all around people that generally have no idea what's good. So I'm thinking, do you know what this means? All these dumb people are going to go, saying "Who are They May Be Giants?" and come out saying " I love They Might Be Giants! They're so cool! They're SUCH A JOKE BAND,(someone said that to me once.) They're so funny, I'm going to go out and buy Flood!" Now that's good for the Johns despite the fact that they aren't exactly struggling musicians, but bad for the whole picture because think about what it may do to the future as a whole!!! I don't know about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What made them do this insane act of self mutilation? They're killing themselves!!!!! We have to take action before it's too late. We've got to take the power back!!!!(RATM?) BTW: Any Ben Folds fans out there?? And where can I find some merchandise of theirs i.e. posters, etc. Just wondering if anyone can help me on that end. Thanks. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Shows and other thingsn Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:12:51 -0500 (EST) > > Indiana- I recall hearing that TMBG played there in the spring, Yes. > but it was at some weird country/western bar type place. No. > I'd take the trek to Ohio or Illinois for a show... > I'd recommend seeing Them anywhere you can! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:21:11 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Re: Hootie >Now that's good for the Johns despite the fact that they aren't >exactly struggling musicians, but bad for the whole picture because >think about what it may do to the future as a whole!!! I don't know >about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up >and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! > >DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > >What made them do this insane act of self mutilation? They're killing >themselves!!!!! Why is TMBG becoming a mainstream band a terrible nightmare. I don't know about the rest of you but if I listen to a band it's because I enjoy the music not because the band is unknown, unpopular, or out of the mainstream. If people come to enjoy TMBG as much as we do and They suddenly becomes mainstream how is that bad? I sincerely doubt the Johns would compromise there music writing style just to put out more "mainstream style music." In fact John & John would be more like, who gives a ____ if they don't like the album, we made it because it was fun to write and we enjoy making music. Number two, what's with the stereotyping of Hootie fans. That's like people who dislike TMBG saying that we (the fans) are all a bunch of wierdo, freaky, nerdy, losers (although I must admit I have no problem with being called wierd). It's silly to try and judge people by the type of music they like. I may not like Hootie, but I respect the band as a good group of musicians, and I'm sure the Johns do also or else they wouldn't be touring with them. BTW, if they become popular, how is that an act of self mutilation. At the concert in Boston at the Espinade there were reportedly 45 thousand people, and they all had loads of fun. The concert was fun and the Johns were obviously enjoying themselves. The only bad thing I could see about TMBG becoming really popular is that it would be harder to buy tickets for a concert, although a tour coming near where you live would become much more likely. Will Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: hELLO From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:58:03 EDT On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 Peter May writes: >I do not have many albums. In fact, the only TMBG albums >I have are Flood, Apollo 18, and my recently obtained John Henry. >And I have plans to obtain Factory Showroom ASAP. Can >someone give me a list of of stuff I don't have? FAQ >3. On Flood's last track (Road Movie) there is a line on the lyric >sheet that >is never actually sung. What happened to it? FAQ >4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, behind the >sharp >sitar tones, I turned up the volume very loud and noticed another song >playing. >Then my ears were blown off by the start of If I Wasn't Shy! Can >someone >identify the song for me? > Can you say FAQ? =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 16:23 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: New Tour stuff!!! > >I don't know if anyone knows this stuff yet, but i think it's news. >i found some dates and cities They are playing for the next 2 months, and >when They play with Hootie. The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and >ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN. They will play 10 venues total. some cities on >that tour include: East Lansing(10-18), Toledo(10-20), Champaign, Fort You mean, if I wanna see Them here in MI, I have to see Hootie, too?! No *fair*! Any chance They might get here by themselves? Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:48:03 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Education Well today a buncho neat things happened. I was is History, and we were going over the various presidental elections. I guess you can figger out what happened. Then in science, we had a weird pop quiz thingee. One question was, "How far away is the sun?" Another was "List as many mammals and charataristics you can". I absolutley couldn't believe it. My education was enhanced by TMBG 3 times in one day! I wish a had art, maybe we would have studied James Ensor. My relivant question is... Are there any other educational songs by TMBG? Istanbul is sorta but are there any others I can't think of? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:12:02 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Hootie JOHANNA JONES wrote: > > I just thought of something that totally slipped my mind before. A > lot of stupid people listen to Hootie. Including girls that wear > "boob shirts"(that's their name, not mine.) guys who drink a lot of > beer, and just all around people that generally have no idea what's > good. So I'm thinking, do you know what this means? All these dumb > people are going to go, saying "Who are They May Be Giants?" and come > out saying " I love They Might Be Giants! They're so cool! They're > SUCH A JOKE BAND,(someone said that to me once.) They're so funny, I'm > going to go out and buy Flood!" > Now that's good for the Johns despite the fact that they aren't > exactly struggling musicians, but bad for the whole picture because > think about what it may do to the future as a whole!!! I don't know > about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up > and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! > > DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > What made them do this insane act of self mutilation? They're killing > themselves!!!!! > > We have to take action before it's too late. We've got to take the > power back!!!!(RATM?) > > BTW: Any Ben Folds fans out there?? And where can I find some > merchandise of theirs i.e. posters, etc. Just wondering if anyone > can help me on that end. Thanks. In the very informative Modern ROck Live interview (If you haven't sent a tape to the guy offering copies, do so) They said that they're doing the 10 Hootie shows to warm up for their national tour which kicks off in November. The concert dates currently posted on the official they page are just random dates, not official tour ones. Sooooo, you can look forward to a whole new list of shows in November where they'll most likely be stopping in a town near you.. john kong drauss ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:22:34 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Hootie Will Nunn wrote: > > >Now that's good for the Johns despite the fact that they aren't > >exactly struggling musicians, but bad for the whole picture because > >think about what it may do to the future as a whole!!! I don't know > >about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up > >and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! > > > >DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > >What made them do this insane act of self mutilation? They're killing > >themselves!!!!! > Why is TMBG becoming a mainstream band a terrible nightmare. I don't > know about the rest of you but if I listen to a band it's because I enjoy > the music not because the band is unknown, unpopular, or out of the > mainstream. If people come to enjoy TMBG as much as we do and They suddenly > becomes mainstream how is that bad? I sincerely doubt the Johns would > compromise there music writing style just to put out more "mainstream style > music." In fact John & John would be more like, who gives a ____ if they > don't like the album, we made it because it was fun to write and we enjoy > making music. > Number two, what's with the stereotyping of Hootie fans. That's like > people who dislike TMBG saying that we (the fans) are all a bunch of wierdo, > freaky, nerdy, losers (although I must admit I have no problem with being > called wierd). It's silly to try and judge people by the type of music they > like. I may not like Hootie, but I respect the band as a good group of > musicians, and I'm sure the Johns do also or else they wouldn't be touring > with them. > BTW, if they become popular, how is that an act of self mutilation. > At the concert in Boston at the Espinade there were reportedly 45 thousand > people, and they all had loads of fun. The concert was fun and the Johns > were obviously enjoying themselves. The only bad thing I could see about > TMBG becoming really popular is that it would be harder to buy tickets for a > concert, although a tour coming near where you live would become much more > likely. Yeah, harder to buy and more expensive. I think when people complain about They becoming popular, or liked by Hootie fans in this case, it's because people who are into the mainstream aren't always in it because they like the music. It's really just amazing how many people listen to music solely because it's popular or because it's in the mainstream. Let's face it, the mainstream likes pop music, and it's dictated to them through the Radio. The bands & Music companies choose singles, send them to Radio stations, the stations play them, and the people listen. There's always going to be people listening to the radio and "liking" it because it's what's there. But, there's people who go beyond the radio and discover bands like They Might Be Giants, who are fun to listen to. SO, say They Might Be Giants are played on the radio.... ah never mind, I've got a ton of homework to do. john chow drauss ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:24:33 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: New Tour stuff!!! Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > >I don't know if anyone knows this stuff yet, but i think it's news. > >i found some dates and cities They are playing for the next 2 months, and > >when They play with Hootie. The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and > >ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN. They will play 10 venues total. some cities on > >that tour include: East Lansing(10-18), Toledo(10-20), Champaign, Fort > > You mean, if I wanna see Them here in MI, I have to see Hootie, > too?! No *fair*! Any chance They might get here by themselves? > > Kirsten Yes yes! The hootie thing is just a warm up for their Official National tour which starts in November. I hope they come to St. Andrews! Shows are the best there! john fat drauss ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:27:09 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Education Robert Grabill wrote: > > Well today a buncho neat things happened. I was is History, and we were > going over the various presidental elections. I guess you can figger out > what happened. Then in science, we had a weird pop quiz thingee. One > question was, "How far away is the sun?" Another was "List as many mammals > and charataristics you can". I absolutley couldn't believe it. My education > was enhanced by TMBG 3 times in one day! I wish a had art, maybe we would > have studied James Ensor. > > My relivant question is... > > Are there any other educational songs by TMBG? Istanbul is sorta but are > there any others I can't think of? > They're all educational in one way or another. I've learned a ton of new vocab words thanks to THEM, as well as guitar playing and singing techniques, etc. You just gotta look really deep into them. john chi drauss ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:40:16 -0400 Subject: the big duluth, the TMBG shuffle, Hootie, and flans' shoes >> The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN.<< Ha! "Chess Piece Face, and the Big Duluth, call her, everyday..." I'm sure I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. Well, hay, as long as I'm here, let me ramble. I, too had some shuffle oddities yesterday. I had Lincoln in my cd player walkman on the bus. I pressed play, and it went to "I've Got A Match". And my friend started talking to me, so I turned it off. So then, I turn it back on, and it chooses track 11, yet again. So a few minutes later, I put in my new Tragically Hip cd, and get bored with it (because I don't know it real well yet), so I put the pink album back on, once again on shuffle. "I've Got A Match" yet again. I think it likes that song... About Hootie: I think his music sucks, but he's probably a cool guy. I mean, on the web site for our (our being Rochester, NY) alternative station (the one Shep dj's at :)), there's a page of pictures showing musicians who stopped by, like they've had Poe, Stabbing Westward (which, IMO, sucks), MMB, and Live, and more I can't recall now (hmm. hope they get BNL pics from yesterday up soon!). One is of Hootie. The caption says something like "even though we don't play any of his music, Hootie still wanted to stop by and say hi." Hmm. Shep, do you know anythng about this? Oh, and btw--I was watching my tape with the House of Blues thingie, and noticed--Flans has my sneeks! They're converse with a star on the side and a sideways v stripe (not the generic one star). I thought that was worth mentioning. :) Have a They Day! -sarah :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:08:27 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Shep elaborates on Sarah's multiple themes. >> The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN.<< Ha! "Chess Piece Face, and the Big Duluth, call her, everyday..." I'm sure I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. Well, hay, as long as I'm here, let me ramble. I, too had some shuffle oddities yesterday. I had Lincoln in my cd player walkman on the bus. I pressed play, and it went to "I've Got A Match". And my friend started talking to me, so I turned it off. So then, I turn it back on, and it chooses track 11, yet again. So a few minutes later, I put in my new Tragically Hip cd, and get bored with it (because I don't know it real well yet), so I put the pink album back on, once again on shuffle. "I've Got A Match" yet again. I think it likes that song... I like that song. I've got a match, your embrace and my collapse. About Hootie: I think his music sucks, but he's probably a cool guy. I mean, on the web site for our (our being Rochester, NY) alternative station (the one Shep dj's at :)), there's a page of pictures showing musicians who stopped by, like they've had Poe, Stabbing Westward (which, IMO, sucks), MMB, and Live, and more I can't recall now (hmm. hope they get BNL pics from yesterday up soon!). One is of Hootie. The caption says something like "even though we don't play any of his music, Hootie still wanted to stop by and say hi." Hmm. Shep, do you know anythng about this? Well, Hootie is, by radio definition, NOT "modern rock", not "aggressive rock", not "cutting-edge". Hootie is Top 40 by definition. Hence, we wouldn't play it. It's technically not part of the format. However, Darius Rucker (NOT Hootie, guys, it's Darius) obviously listened our station and stopped down. For the record, if you don't like Stabbing Westward, Sarah (I'm not big on them myself, but the drummer has no hair, and I wish I could pull that off)....check out "Violent Mood Swings" on the Clerks soundtrack....if you don't like that, then yeah, you prob'ly can't stand them. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:43:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Stephen M Helmick Subject: HELP!!! Wassup, you party people? Listen up, kids, I'm in a jam. I live in Bowling Green ,Ohio. Anybody got the lowdown on an upcoming TMBG show nearby here? (Nearby this place is like Toledo, Detroit, Cincinatti, Indianapollis, or any where within the same distance.) I'm seriously in need of some THEY action live. Any word will be greatly apreciado. Catch y'all on the flipside. KObrA "Yous knows how it is; Hang loose, reproduce, and keep those puppies dry!I'm off like a prom dress!C-ya" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:14:02 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Re: Education At 04:48 PM 9/11/96 -0400, you wrote: >Well today a buncho neat things happened. I was is History, and we were >going over the various presidental elections. I guess you can figger out >what happened. Then in science, we had a weird pop quiz thingee. One >question was, "How far away is the sun?" Another was "List as many mammals >and charataristics you can". I absolutley couldn't believe it. My education >was enhanced by TMBG 3 times in one day! I wish a had art, maybe we would >have studied James Ensor. The best song that I can think of though as far as educational experience is NOKMP. In our Humanities class my junior year in high school we spent about a week analyzing and re-hashing the allegory of the cave. Quite a few of the people in the class were TMBG fans so we were all thrilled and highly amused when John Henry came out, and NOKMP was on it. For those of you who don't know the lines I'm referring to in the song are: "When I made a shadow on my window shade, they called the police and testified. But they're like the people chained up in the cave, in the allegory of the people of the cave by the greek guy." Anyone who hasn't read the allegory probably should, although it is somewhat confusing at first, it is actually a pretty good analysis of intellectualism and enlightenment. (this mailing was a little longer then I wanted it to be, Sorry.) Wilbz Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 21:37:31 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Hootie >>but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up >>and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! I would *love* to see Them on MTV ....... Or Top 40 Radio ...... or anywhere for that matter. Sometimes a band can be a little bit *too* underground! >Why is TMBG becoming a mainstream band a terrible nightmare. I don't >know about the rest of you but if I listen to a band it's because I enjoy >the music not because the band is unknown, unpopular, or out of the >mainstream. If people come to enjoy TMBG as much as we do and They suddenly >becomes mainstream how is that bad? I sincerely doubt the Johns would >compromise there music writing style just to put out more "mainstream style >music." I think that there is a definite phobia about the "mainstream" cos there are so few bands that have hit the mainstream and kept their credibility. Prime examples : INXS, Simple Minds, Genesis. They have all produced creditable albums in the past yet once "lady luck" touched them and said "You shall be great", the touch of greatness suddenly became the Midas Touch and squelch went the critical acclaim. These bands had found the "hit formula" and decided to retire making albums based on that formula. So the *real* fans very quickly lost interest. I can only think of U2 and REM that have kept their success *and* their critical acclaim - a bloody tricky thing to do - both bands are constantly reinventing themselves with new ideas, yet still manage to make it sound new and original. I'd like to think that They (being so creative and original) would fall into the latter category - lets face it They haven't spent the past 5 years trying to come up with albums full of "Birdhouse" have They ? >The only bad thing I could see about >TMBG becoming really popular is that it would be harder to buy tickets for a >concert, although a tour coming near where you live would become much more >likely. I'd quite happily suffer the queuing an the pre-ordering if it meant They had "a tour coming near where I live". Besides, when that's the case, the venues get bigger and the tours get longer. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 21:58:38 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: hELLO >On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 Peter May writes: >>I do not have many albums. In fact, the only TMBG albums >>I have are Flood, Apollo 18, and my recently obtained John Henry. >>And I have plans to obtain Factory Showroom ASAP. Can >>someone give me a list of of stuff I don't have? Ruprecht Jee wrote : >FAQ [snip .... Lots of FAQs follow] Perhaps these and others that followed are pretty obvious FAQs but do we need to be so elitist and unhelpful ? It doesn't help those people who don't know much about Them (and believe me, I'm pretty ignorant compared to some of you lot on the subject of Them) but want to know more - after all the Johns aren't going to retire rich and famous if we don't help Them spread the word!! So I shall instead proffer the reply : FAQ : Try http://www.tmbg.org/index.html or http://www.eskimo.com/~mrme or finally http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html on the WWW for more info on these topics. Mr owner-tmbg-list : Perhaps some of these links could be stuffed into the initial mailing sent out to new joiners to the list ? Just a thought. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: hELLO Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:31:22 -0500 (EST) > > Perhaps these and others that followed are pretty obvious FAQs but do we need > to be so elitist and unhelpful ? What exactly is elitist and unhelpful about pointing someone to the FAQ? Are you upset because Ruprecht didn't include any URLs for the FAQ? > Mr owner-tmbg-list : Perhaps some of these links could be stuffed into the > initial mailing sent out to new joiners to the list ? Just a thought. > Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:38:50 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Strange coincidences w/Wierd Al Just putting in my two and a half cents about Al. Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" on his "Bad Hair Day" album? I think that if you do you will hear a song that is characteristicly TMBG, in fact, it's almost scary how easily TMBG could have recorded the same song and nobody would have questioned it at all. I think Al was trying something there, but if They heard it, I could see how They could think that Al was slaghtering Their style. (The song isn't very good, actually, it sounds like a bad attempt at TMBG's style, imagine that..) Does anyone else see this or have I just got TMBG on the brain...? -Josh jwh@U.Arizona.Edu -=or=- jwh@TMBG.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:58:57 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: hELLO > Perhaps these and others that followed are pretty obvious FAQs but do we need > to be so elitist and unhelpful ? What exactly is elitist and unhelpful about pointing someone to the FAQ? Are you upset because Ruprecht didn't include any URLs for the FAQ? If I may be so bold, perhaps he thought it was 'elitist and unhelpful' due to the 'tone' of his 'voice' FAQ....FAQ......Can we say, FAQ? It was roughly the equivalent of a metal skewer (suitable for grilling) being shoved quickly in one's eyesocket.. shep ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Hootie Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:57:14 -0500 (EST) > Why is TMBG becoming a mainstream band a terrible nightmare [...] > If people come to enjoy TMBG as much as we do and They suddenly > becomes mainstream how is that bad? That's easy - being part of a clique is fun. It makes you feel important and it gives you a special sense of identity. Right now we can secretly feel smug and elitist because we're in on something that's not that widely known or appreciated. If TMBG becomes wildly popular, we won't be able to sit around and congratulate ourselves about our little "secret." m@t ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: songs to make you think Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:10:01 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, Well, I'd say that Dinner Bell was informative of alot of different foods and I Should be Allowed to Think told us of that poem "Howl" so there are more information packed songs out there, ya just gotta be able to dig deep and find all of it. I fear I'd be flamed with all of the REM fans on here but it seems like they feel into the hole of bygone rock bands after Eponymous-era songs ended. Course that's just my opinion but I cannot stand to listen to pretty much any REM anymore (possibly some Chronic Town but I don't often pull that out). I think Michael Stipe's voice has bitten me because I don't like it at all. If you speak to the mainstream media they are flying high though. Ah well. Anybody going to be in the Philadelphia area this weekend? I'm coming up that way this Saturday so watch out! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:10:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: Hootie Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Sep-96 RE: Hootie by "Martin Baker"@msn.com > I would *love* to see Them on MTV ....... Or Top 40 Radio ...... or anywhere > for that matter. Sometimes a band can be a little bit *too* underground! "We can be happy undergroud!" -Ben Folds Five Ahh, I always wanted to _start_ a message with a quote. More to the point, though, I think most people would agree with you here. Sure there's going to be some doubt as to if They'd just turn around and cater to the masses, but I'm fairly certain They would only double their efforts to be unique if They were to become popular to the populus. There are a few fans that like Them because They're relatively unpopular, but, well take my college as an example: I see more people on campus wearing TMBG t-shirts than any other kind of t-shirt; here They're very popular, and one might even go so far as to say They're "mainstream" in the little sub-culture that is Carnegie Mellon, and nobody seems to mind. OK, some like TMBG to be unpopular to the "unwashed masses" so they can feel superior, and there's nothing wrong with that, (because anyone who likes TMBG is obviously superior to anyone who doesn't ;) but even if They did become popular, you could still feel just as superior because then you'd be able to say you were a fan of Them before They were ever really popular. Well, there's my reasons why people shouldn't react negatively to the idea of a popular TMBG. Have a peppermint candy, it goes well with this message. -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: FW: hELLO Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:13:03 -0500 (EST) > > It was roughly the equivalent of a metal skewer (suitable for grilling) > being shoved quickly in one's eyesocket.. > You mean you don't *like* that?:-) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:05:56 -0400 (EDT) From: gllt Subject: Richmond bands I don't know if this has been posted yet, but these are 8 bands playing at the festival: TMBG, Bio Ritmo, Everything, Spike the Dog, Gibb Droll, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Agents of Good Roots, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. "Memo to myself: do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppethead." ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 07:18:16 +0005 Subject: Modern Rock Live ---- READ THIS For those of you who emailed me, please send me your tapes to dub and/or if we are trading send me the deal we worked out and I'll send everything out as soon as I can. I've had tons and tons of requests so the return time should be 2 weeks max. my address is: Doug Haas 952 Woodcreek Drive Milford, OH 45150-1529 for those of you who haven't responded but want to get the tape now is your chance, there will be one or two more messages to the list, but after that... ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: popularity money and other interesting topics Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:26:28 -0400 (EDT) "TMBG are not satanists" You're right, it is fun to start off a message with a quote. Well, as far as their money supply goes I think they are aok. I mean they could do better, anyone could do better and that is why they want to sell as many records as they can. But I think if they continued at their current status they could be a profitable band for as long as they like (ok well if they are like 60 years old maybe not ;) But the key to getting money in a band is touring. A large large portion of the band income is generally taken in by touring. Now we know how much TMBG tours. They are most likely in the top 5-10% of bands as far as frequency of touring goes. So you know they are at least making pretty good money. Another thing is, I kinda see them as starving artist kind of guys. They don't want the million dollar arena gig (well I'm sure they'd take it but they're not really into taht kinda thing). They do the universities, they do the clubs and outdoor festivals. Sure they make a decent amount of money that way and they seem to enjoy it. I think if they had it their way they'd drive to every place themselves to put on a concert, but alas far distances and overseas travels call for airplanes. They also started out as just the two of them and I'm sure that was because that was all they could afford and besides, I'd assume they liked it as just John and John as TMBG. Nw they have moved onto the full band an dseem to love that (now that they have more money). They also live in Brooklyn, not Manhattan, they don't want to be huge like Stipe or Bono or Hootie or whoever. They are also very down to earth, people loving guys (even tho Linnell may seem to shy away from everyone). What I'm getting at is that they seem to be able to handle and enjoy the way they are, that is just fine for them. Sure they are opening for Hootie, who knows maybe they need some moeny or maybe they just want to see what'd be lke to play in a huge place like that. They are probably experimenting or whatever. So they seem to be a semi-popular band (and rather successful band) that appears to be more unpopular. So now that I have lost base of exactlywhat I am saying (cause my food's gettin cold!) I better exit, stage left. Matt successful) thta appears to be more unpopular -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:35:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Kao Subject: richmond show I don't know if this has already been posted, but these are 8 bands playing at the festival in Richmond: TMBG, Bio Ritmo, Everything, Spike the Dog, Gibb Droll, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Agents of Good Roots, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. "Memo to myself: do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppethead." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:41:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Kao Subject: oops whoops, sorry about that repeat message (ps I am pro-hootie and pro-rem) "Memo to myself: do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppethead." ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: popularity money and other interesting topics Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:55:18 -0500 (EST) > Well, as far as their money supply goes I think they are aok. I mean > they could do better... Ohhhh, I get it Matt - back on that old "time is money" kick, right? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:09:33 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia A recent discussion reminded me that I'm late in sending this out. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:30:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, JOHANNA JONES wrote: > about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up > and become mainstream OK, good, let's all let mass paranoia strike. Let's see... we have a song called SEXXY, dealing with genetics. OH MY GOD! You're right! It sounds just like every other song on the radio. Definite sell-out material. The Johns have lost their integrity. You have a point, however. The music itself is more accessible. It sounds more like most of the music on the radio. But it's still pretty far off. They themselves have admitted that getting a band was the least avant garde thing they could've done. But, they felt they needed to make some changes, and they happened to like the band once they got it. So, I will say it right now: the only difference between TMBG now and TMBG then is that they have a band now. That means they can now do things they were previously unable to do. The only way John and John have changed is that they have assumed different roles in relation to the new band members (ie being in any 6 person band is different than being in any 2 person band). So, if you don't like the new sound, that means you don't like the new band members. How you drew the conclusion that just because you don't like the new sound means that they are selling out is almost a mystery. Let us see what happened the last time TMBG were in the public eye. A huge number of people on this list heard Flood, are now hard-core fans, and like the other albums as well. Boy, that's certainly evil. However, yes, more evil moshers are at the shows, and it's harder to get tickets, etc. There are up sides and down sides to a bigger fan base. It means you have a bigger chance for having unintelligent people as fans, but this is true of any band. It also means a better chance to spread the magic of TMBG. If they are on the radio and in concert with Hootie, and there are people that would like TMBG but have never heard of them, then this will be good. I, personally, before finding TMBG, was 'musically adrift' (the equivalent of 'spiritually adrift...'). I had a few tapes of some bad heavy metal bands, and I might have considered going to their concerts. But then, one of my friends told me to listen to a CD he had. You can guess what happened. Some people don't even know that music exists outside of the radio. I didn't used to know. How can you very well seek out something you don't know exists? If you liked Hootie (hey, everybody makes mistakes), and had never heard Them, and then you went to this concert and were hooked, you'd be _damn_ glad TMBG had played with Hootie, wouldn't you? So don't begrudge other people the same thing. Don't assume everyone who hears TMBG on the radio or wherever else is inherently evil. Tolerance, my friends, is a good thing. Back to my main point. What is TMBG's main goal? To make music that they themselves like. To make "sophisticated, head-bobbin' music." The music with the band is head-bobbin' -- probably moreso than the old stuff, because of the addition of the lively rhythm section -- and it is definitely still sophisticated. They have improved their skills alot on their instruments since the addition of the band, and they practice alot more. They have a goal to make the band sound as good as it possibly can, and their music is a lot more sonic and full-sounding now. How can anything bad come of this? Oh, and also, a band that is selling out on purpose does NOT joke about selling out. (Ie, "We went down to the crossroads and shook hands with the Devil," and "And we thought, 'too much integrity'.") And they do not write songs that will prove that they are total hypocrites when they do decide to sell out (ie 'Hey Mr. DJ'). Just what the bejezus is everyone thinking? The Johns also said that it is "very hard to think of how people will react to a song when you are writing it." That means that they can't purposely write a song with the intent (and knowledge) that it will become popular. If they really think that How Can I Sing Like a Girl is a 'total powerhouse' then I don't think they really know what's going to be popular. I think that most people write songs based on their upbringing and thoughts, and if those two things are in tune with the general populace, then their music will be popular (unless the public misinterprets). People must be able to stand to listen to the music they listen to. People usually say one of two things when they hear TMBG. 1: "What the hell is this crap?" 2: "What the hell is this guy singing about? It sounds stupid." The music will never become popular unless people stop saying that about it, no matter what radio stations play it or not. If TMBG removes most intellectual content and unusual instr will become popular. People must be able to bear listening to a certain band for that band to be popular. Example: If pop stations and MTV started playing classical music and saying "Isn't this just the coolest? It's the 'new' one from Bach," would classical music gain a long-term foothold on the Billboard pop charts? Maybe for a year or so (See: Bennett, Tony, and TMBG in 1990). Once the newness of the fad fades, these fringe artists usually fade away and drop back to only their core of fans, with the exception that 'everyone' will own that one CD the artist was 'cool' for. What does all of this mean? 1: I've written an entirely huge message, practically on par with one of my english papers for its use of logic and style. 2: I've wasted an incredible amount of time that I should've spent doing my homework. 3: I hope no one says anything about TMBG selling out or the new style sucking flavor straws again, unless they have some darn good reasons and some good arguments to back them up. 4: I really need to thank you for giving up a good chunk of your time reading this message. As my friend said "Thank you for letting me take up some of your time. [Pause]. And, now, let me thank you for letting me take up even more of your time." Or, as John Linnell said "You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older, and now you're even older. You're older than you've ever been, and now you're older still." Questions? Comments? As always, clarity and politeness are appreciated. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:38:57 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: More new tour info!! ok, here is what i found on Their tour from 9-22 to 11-3: 9-22 Richmond, VA Mayo Island 9-27 Albany, NY SUNY Recreation Center (w/ Violent Femmes) 9-28 Providence, RI Brown University ** (only band named) 10-4 Gainesville, FL Alachua Co. Fairgrounds ** 10-5 Jacksonville, FL Milk Bar ** 10-9 Memphis, TN Pyramid ## (w/ Hootie) 10-10 Knoxville, TN Thompson-Boling Arena ## 10-14 Washington, D.C. Taste of D.C. ** 10-15 Montreal, QUE Molson Center ## 10-16 Toronto, ONT Skydome ## 10-18 East Lansing, MI Breslin Events Center ## (9-27: Soul Coughing) 10-19 Champaign, IL Assembly Hall ## 10-20 Toledo, OH John F. Savage Hall ## 10-22 Louisville, KY Freedom Hall ## 10-23 Carbondale, IL SIU Arena ## 10-24 Fort Wayne, IN Allen Co. Mem. Coliseum ## 10-27 Columbia, MO Hearnes Center ## 11-3 Duluth, MN Duluth Ent. Conv. Ctr. ## That's it. on the dates with Hootie it just had Them and Hootie, no other bands. i'll let ya'll know when and if they add more dates. i can't get phone #'s, ticket prices, times, etc., at the moment. if i do find those i'll post them. if there is another specific band anyone wants to know dates for(specific states please), i'll look. -Chakka ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:53:03 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: Re: Strange coincidences w/Wierd Al Odd you mention it. I was walking around a craft show I happened to be working at a couple weeks ago and I found a booth with a logo that caught my eyes: "Everything old is new again". I flipped; I gibbered; I asked and found out I was wrong!!! It wasn't from THeY. As for Al, I have enough respect to consider this a bad coincidence. I mean with all the people who consider They to be copying Al, I suppose it's naturally set in the back of every hard core giants fan to find proof that Al copied TMBG. Consider this the sign of being a true, if not slightly paranoid, fan. Koodles to you. Brother John Blackhawk "I could be like SOMEBODY and use a sig from HOT 101 of YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO, but I won't." "Well, it's about a nite-lite, Dave. It might be a cute nite-lite to some." - John Linnel on Birdhouse in your Soul ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 20:43:17 -0700 Subject: Re: New Tour stuff!!! Lou Fioritto/Braille Works wrote: > > I don't know if anyone knows this stuff yet, but i think it's news. > i found some dates and cities They are playing for the next 2 months, and > when They play with Hootie. The Hootie tour starts 10-15 in Montreal and > ends 11-3 in Duluth, MN. They will play 10 venues total. some cities on > that tour include: East Lansing(10-18), Toledo(10-20), Champaign, Fort > Wayne(10-24). > Also, four bands playing with Them in Richmond are: Agents of Good > Roots, Everything, Gibb Troll Band, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. > > And last, other cities(non-Hootie): 10-9 Memphis, 10-10 Knoxville, > 10-14 Taste of D.C.(Wash. D.C.[i know some people were wondering about this > one]). the D.C. show is just They playing. > > if anyone wants to know what venues or who's playing with Them, ask. > i'll probably just post everything i found, though. > > -Chakka (i can't believe They're doing ONE show with Hootie, let > alone TEN!!!!!!!) what kind of world is this??!! Hey, wait a minute! Hootie is coming to Fargo (North Dakota) within the next few months. Will They be with him then? PLEASE??? Or is Hootie going to leave Them in Minnesota and go on to ND alone? Anyone have even a guess? Hopelessly isolated in NORTH DAKOTA (pop. 660,000) Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-249 ******************************