Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 25 Thursday, 25 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-24 Girlfriend Theory and more. john^2 happifying stuff john^2 SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE... J & J & girlfriends... Re: john^2 and then some... Re: happifying stuff Re: SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE... Some thoughts..... Re: J & J & girlfriends... Re: happifying stuff Another band to check out Re: happifying stuff Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 08:26:26 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-24 I would have to say that John Linnell rocks the freaking universe, and I'd most likely be caught on THAT side of the concert... If I ever went to concerts that is... well i went to one...:) Anyway, I think Linnell looks cooler and has the more interesting voice. And he plays all the cool instruments!! Not that I dislike Flans or anything... Wondering when TMBG will set Their plans to take over the world into action... -Nathan (Linnel) University of Vermont *------------------------------------------------------------------------ For reason ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction. Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing; And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes. -Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:07:06 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Girlfriend Theory and more. To Frosty the Supervisor et al: The dibs Flans on fine, becasue I choose the other one, Linnel, anyway. The Mercury Lounge, Huh? See? I suppose there IS some good in my relocation, after all. Miss Joni (whose puppy hardly let her sleep a WINK last night. *Yawn*) BTW--Also loved the story of Max, the Monkey With no Tail. Love kids. ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:45:33 -0500 Subject: john^2 In a message dated 96-01-24 03:31:32 EST, you write: >>I tend to get on the Flans side of the concert most of the time. I don't >>agree, though, on going out with him ;) >>Matt > >i always go for the opposite side of the concert! Linnell, all the way. >well, we're all entitled to our favorite TMBG John. :) > >jenn Me, If I had a choice, I think I'd just stand in the middle and watch both...I mean, how can you choose between the two Johns? My humble opinion, Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:11:05 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: happifying stuff Oh, happiness! I was in the student center thingy yesterday, and this guy who's there periodically selling posters had his stuff out. So, I looked for TMBG stuff, and all he had were the two I'd already bought from him, the John Henry (ALICE!) Girl and this Apollo 18 poster with the Johns hiding behind their instruments. But I was in the student-center thingy today, and there was a movie poster sale. And they had the poster from They Might Be Giants - The MOVIE. That was the happifying part. And the girl at the counter said "That's where that rock group got their name from, right?" And it was $10. So I bought it, and now it's mine. -Jenny, who's never even seen the movie. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: john^2 Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:46:09 -0500 (EST) > > In a message dated 96-01-24 03:31:32 EST, you write: > > >>I tend to get on the Flans side of the concert most of the time. I don't > >>agree, though, on going out with him ;) > >>Matt > > > >i always go for the opposite side of the concert! Linnell, all the way. > >well, we're all entitled to our favorite TMBG John. :) > > > >jenn > > Me, If I had a choice, I think I'd just stand in the middle and watch > both...I mean, how can you choose between the two Johns? > My humble opinion, > Erika > That's a good way to go about it, Erika. Sometimes I do end up in the middle, whether it be because of the conga line or pushing or whatever, but I always end up being on the Flans side most of the time and at the end. It's nice to have a view of both of them and of Graham and Brian, they're all kewl!! Sometimes I wait in front of Flans cause he shoves his guitar out to the first row and they play it. I miss playing it by about an arms length this time! I gotta get those prosthetic arms I tell yas! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 14:39:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NEWS ON THE DELAYED RELEASE OF THEIR NEW ALBUM "SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE"? WHEN IS THE NEW DATE SET FOR IT? BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:53:12 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: J & J & girlfriends... i'd almost consider having a sex change to go out with them. that's almost. actually, not really. well ok, i wouldn't, but i like them both equally. at concerts, each have their moments and they're special in different ways. i think the only reason i don't like Flans better, is because his William Shatner impersonation isn't that good. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:51:39 -0600 From: "cherry lemonade snapple..." Subject: Re: john^2 and then some... > I gotta get those prosthetic arms I tell yas! no no, it's prosthetic foreheads... >guy who's there periodically selling posters had his stuff out. So, I >looked for TMBG stuff, and all he had were the two I'd already bought >from him, the John Henry (ALICE!) Girl WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY???? alice? alice?? i think not. you should be careful and hope that persephone didn't here this little slip, you don't want to have to face her wrath... and listen to misc T while you're at it. i just did and it works wonders for afterclass boredom... paul... the mouth of persephone. and her humble servant. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 14:18:36 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: happifying stuff Since when is her name Alice? On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Jenny Klauke wrote: > Oh, happiness! I was in the student center thingy yesterday, and this > guy who's there periodically selling posters had his stuff out. So, I > looked for TMBG stuff, and all he had were the two I'd already bought > from him, the John Henry (ALICE!) Girl and this Apollo 18 poster with the > Johns hiding behind their instruments. But I was in the student-center > thingy today, and there was a movie poster sale. And they had the poster > from They Might Be Giants - The MOVIE. That was the happifying part. > And the girl at the counter said "That's where that rock group got their > name from, right?" And it was $10. So I bought it, and now it's mine. > > -Jenny, who's never even seen the movie. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:44:11 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE... At 02:39 PM 1/24/96 -0400, BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: >DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NEWS ON THE DELAYED RELEASE OF THEIR NEW ALBUM "SUPERFUELED FREAKASICLE"? WHEN IS THE NEW DATE SET FOR IT? > BLACKHAWK > according to elektra, it's "postponed indefinitely," so if the pattern follows, next year sometime. paul ps -- WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:09:17 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Some thoughts..... Arrrgghh!!! I'm too stressed out for this to be just the start of the semester!!!!!! However, John & John have once again come to my rescue. As I found myself dragged off to wait in line for Billy Joel tickets at the unholy hour of 5am (don't ask) there was only one way to keep my sanity - I somehow managed to get a largish group of people to sing "particle man" with me. Yay!! Yes, Brooklyn's ambassadors of love struck again!! Ok, that's it for now.... more rattlings later..... Luv, 'Nette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Narf! Poit! Zort! Egad!" -Pinky, on various occasions "I was sailing along with the people/ Driving themselves to distraction inside me" - TMBG, "The End of the Tour" ~Jeanette C. Frost~frost@trenton.edu~Trenton State College~ ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:50:27 -0700 Subject: Re: J & J & girlfriends... >i'd almost consider having a sex change to go out with them. that's >almost. actually, not really. well ok, i wouldn't, but i like them both >equally. at concerts, each have their moments and they're special in >different ways. Now what is all the homophobia arising on this list recently?!!? You don't have to have a sex change to go out with a guy (both my Girfriend and I would love to go out with Lin more than flans...nothing bad,. I assure you, "he's just cuter!") I'm not Homosexual, but this is annoying, You'd think you all were from wyoming how you speak. Now stop this Bigotry! STOP IT! (I know it was all innocent enough, but faux anger is fun! So is faux french 8o) -Rabid Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:09:14 -0600 (CST) From: Jenny Klauke Subject: Re: happifying stuff On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > Since when is her name Alice? > I'm sorry, everyone, mental slippage. I just wanted her to be called Alice, and, that must have been wishful thinking on my part. Yeah. Tee hee. -Jenny, who wasn't the _only_ one to vote for Alice, if she remembers correctly... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 22:51:04 -0500 From: nmcgrath@world.std.com (Nancy McGrath) Subject: Another band to check out In TMBG Digest #2-14, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > I've glanced through my music collection and compiled a list of music > possibilities for TMBG-Lovers. That is, if you like TMBG, you may like > some of this music. Feel free to add you two cents. > I'm a little slow on the draw here, but... > GREAT STUFF FOR TMBG-LOVERS: > 1. Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville. Subscribe to their fan club. > > 6. Moxy Fruvous--Wood. Not yet available in the USA, but obtainable in > Canada. Different sound than _Bargainville_. A tad more serious. > Absolutely!! Moxy Fruvous is great, both recorded and live. Both albums, BTW, may be purchased through their fan club; the email address is moxy@tvo.org. > 13. Leon Redbone--(quite a few). I especially like the song "Seduced." > Redbone's cool, though very different from any of the other recommendations I recognize. > 14. The Dukes of Stratosphear--Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. I've > plugged this album so much. Includes the original version of > "25 O'Clock. > 15. XTC--Skylarking. Superb. Gorgeous. Includes "Dear God" and "Grass." > Not to mention: Oranges and Lemons, English Settlement, Nonsuch... And an addition: David Yazbek -- has an album called "The Laughing Man" due out soon on W.A.R. records. A definite don't-miss. Yazbek will be performing at the Mercury Lounge in NYC (opening for Weeping Tile, whom I've never heard of) at 8:30 pm on Wedensday, February 7. He'll also be at the Met Cafe in Providence, RI on Friday, February 2. Catch this guy on the ground floor; you won't regret it! BTW... Yazbek's drummer is Brian Doherty. Nancy McGrath nmcgrath@world.std.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 23:33:22 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: happifying stuff Okay, I give up. What is her name? (Or is that in the FAQ's, which I admit I've never read...) >On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > >> Since when is her name Alice? >> >I'm sorry, everyone, mental slippage. I just wanted her to be called >Alice, and, that must have been wishful thinking on my part. Yeah. Tee hee. > >-Jenny, who wasn't the _only_ one to vote for Alice, if she remembers >correctly... ____________________________ Jenna Davis Dallas, TX jenna@onramp.net "Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough." -William Saroyan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-25 *****************************