Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 250 Friday, 13 September 1996 Today's Topics: Popularity Re: hELLO RE: hELLO A taste of DC 2 More points Albany Show Lotsa stuff.. read it.. pleasseee... fine then, don't! Re: More new tour info!! Just putting in my two and a Re: Lotsa stuff.. read it.. pleasseee... fine then, don't! Re: 2 More points Re: hELLO Re: FW: hELLO Re: 2 More points Re: FW: hELLO RE: 2 More points RE: hELLO Test - Ignore this Re: 2 More points FW: FW: hELLO 2-CD set Tour Re: 2-CD set Everything ______ Is ______ Again Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) hooootie an' shtuff Um... can't we all just get along....? HAMMER DOWN ObTMBG from Meeee "I'm pop-u-lar.."(i hate that song, but it's a good header) Lansing show w/ Hootie Tour dates, with and without the Blowkids Ding dong, the witch is dead..... POPULARITY! sept 23rd RE: 2 More points Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... (none) Info Club TriOmen the Nerd's daily note Re: hELLO + OAT MRL - last post, READ ME Re: hELLO + OAT Re:hELLO Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... Re: ObTMBG from Meeee Re: hELLO + OAT Re: Info Club Re: hELLO + OAT Re: 2 More points Ding dong, the witch is dead..... Re: 2 More points MORE stuff.. READ IT THIS TIME, another birdhouse parody! Re: TriOmen the Nerd's daily note they shirts TMBG rules. Re: 2 More points Re: hELLO + OAT Re: hELLO + OAT Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:15:15 -0400 Subject: Popularity Hello 41- Here are my ideas about Hootie and mainstream. I belive the main reason I really like TMBG because they make great music that I love to listen to. I like to get as much TMBG as I can as much as possible. I figure that the most basic way I would stop listening to TMBG as much is if they would stop making music, or music I liked. I would figure they would stop making music when it wasn't fun anymore, and they didn't enjoy it. From that, though there are albums and songs I like better than others, whatever They do is fine with me. I recall someone saying that the Spy improv is getting a bit tiresome. Yes, maybe hearing the long, drawn out improv at the end of Spy may not be what some people like, but I bet if I were Linnel, it would be really cool to get up there and do somthing pretty much different and whatever was on your mind. Doing the same songs over and over may get a bit tiresome, but I'd bet that it is doggone fun conducting, or for Flans and the rest, following. If they are happy, I am happy. I wouldn't be happy, however, if they started conforming to the mainstream. I would be very interested to see set lists compared to when They opened for Hootie, and when They opened for other bands. I would also like to see how Their music would be effected after being with Hootie (if it made any difference). That probably wasn't vey clear, but I had a point in my head... If you're talking money, I bet the reason They are playing with Hootie is to pay off Flansburg's big wedding/honneymoon expenses! 8^) Somthing different- I wonder if this new box set has any correlation with Superfueled Freakcycle. Maybe? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: hELLO From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:41:50 EDT On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:31:22 -0500 (EST) Matthew Coon writes: >> >> Perhaps these and others that followed are pretty obvious FAQs but >do we need >> to be so elitist and unhelpful ? > >What exactly is elitist and unhelpful about pointing someone to the >FAQ? >Are you upset because Ruprecht didn't include any URLs for the FAQ? > For the record, I am an eletist, sexist, facist, communist and racist, and this is only what was put in the unauthorized biography... (sarcasm people) >> Mr owner-tmbg-list : Perhaps some of these links could be stuffed >into the >> initial mailing sent out to new joiners to the list ? Just a >thought. >> > >Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be >automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems >to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ >to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? > Just to make it clear, I believe they already do... it's just that no one bothers to read that sort of thing... "But I don't think he heard me, he was too busy conjugating verbs" -Michael Rose, quite possibly the only crackhead worth listening to =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 06:38:31 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: hELLO >> >> Perhaps these and others that followed are pretty obvious FAQs but do we need >> to be so elitist and unhelpful ? > >What exactly is elitist and unhelpful about pointing someone to the FAQ? >Are you upset because Ruprecht didn't include any URLs for the FAQ? Well, no (and perhaps my tone of reply was equally OTT - sorry Ruprecht if I'm out of order), but its just that I'm guessing that if someone has asked a serious, but obvious, question on Them that is sat there in the FAQ, the chances are that they probably don't know where the FAQ are on the WWW. The one I quoted specifically for the FAQ was a URL that (I think) you gave me a week or two back (thanks!) yet I didn't know it existed. Therefore I can quite well believe that many others don't know of it either (or am I the only one on this list!!!). OK hands up who didn't know where the FAQ lived ?! Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? Perhaps sending it all to them would be a bit excessive (after all we've got to make these guys do some work of their own!) but its got to be better than not sending it at all. Why on earth would anyone not think that was a good idea (apart from Leo who might have to play "chase the moved URL" every now and again!). Stop Press : Check out that other message "Administrivia" just arrived. I do believe that just solves the problem ? Thanks Jonathan! If that went out to all new subscribers it would I imagine be rather good. ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:45:41 PST Subject: A taste of DC I went to A Taste of DC three years ago (when I lived there, ah... memories.....) and the biggest highlight was the Rev Al Green. Has it got much, mcuh better or did I, as is usually the case, miss the best bits? xxx Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:24:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: 2 More points Two more things. "I hope they never go on MTV, or worse, top 40 radio!" Um... besides their numerous videos, they go on 120 Minutes just about once per album. And, Birdhouse was pretty big, especially in the UK. It definitely made top 40. In fact, I think it made top 10. Why haven't you stopped listening already? Last thing. I don't know if someone said this already, but: They Might Be Giants: 19 Lincoln : 18 Misc-T : 18 Unreleased : 18 ---- 73 song, 2-CD box set What they want to do is force everyone who wants to buy the 18 new songs to buy all the other songs they already have, thus fueling the evil capitalistic machine. I personally think this a very evil plot, but I _could_ be wrong. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:54:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah McDonald Subject: Albany Show Okay, here's what I know about the Albany show with the Violent Femmes: tickets are $12.50 if you get them directly (i.e. through a student at SUNY Albany) and $14.75 if you get them through ticketmaster; the show starts at 8, doors open at 7; it's open to the general public, and, since it's in a large gym, it is general admission (the only seats are bleachers); and it is at the state university recreation center, on the university campus.. it is very easy to get from exit 24 on the NYS Thruway. I hope this helps. Sarah ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Lotsa stuff.. read it.. pleasseee... fine then, don't! Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:11:06 -0500 I wasn't i didn't get any mail before 11 oclock last night... hope there was nothing that cool.... i hate my server...... ATTENTION DEVO FANS!!! I'm not one, but i thought those of you that are (there still are some, right?) would like to know that they star in a new game (something like that at least) called The Adventures Of The Smart Patrol i really don't know what it is.. a graphic adventure perhaps.... well, here's the web page adress: www.inscape.com/smartpatrol In I Palindrome I there is a background lyric that is weird... after "See the medical chart with the random zig zags"right after there is a quite voice saying what sounds like "the patio knows what sings around it" to me. Well, while people were posting UHF quotes, that being my favirite movie and all, i was tempted to say mt favorites, here they are: "If i don't make another deal in an hour, i'm gonna club this baby seal, that's right, CLUB A SEAL T'MAKEA BETTAH DEAL you know i'll do it too, cause i'm CRAZY" "Turtles are natures natural suction cup [licks it and throws it on the ceiling] IT STICKS!!!" "Today we're teachin' poodles how to fly... ahhhh.. it takes a little while for them to learn sometimes" "DON'T YOU KNOW THE DEUY DECIMAL SYSTEM!!!!" "Guns don't kill people, i do" ok, goota go to school... _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:32:56 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: More new tour info!! > >10-19 Champaign, IL Assembly Hall ## > Is this show with or without Hootie? I suppose I'll go either way, if I can get tickets... -Jim Jim Doolittle~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~~""`'~"`"~"~`doolittl@uiuc.edu If it weren't for disapointments, To err is human, I wouldn't have any appointments." to moo, bovine. -They Might Be Giants ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:40:20 -0500 From: Jason A Hoffman Subject: Just putting in my two and a ** Orig: 09/11/96 5:49 pm ** ** SMTPAB: SMTP Gateway PAB ** Just putting in my two and a half cents about Al. Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" on his "Bad Hair Day" album? I think that if you do you will hear a song that is characteristicly TMBG, in fact, it's almost scary how easily TMBG could have recorded the same song and nobody would have questioned it at all. I think Al was trying something there, but if They heard it, I could see how They could think that Al was slaghtering Their style. (The song isn't very good, actually, it sounds like a bad attempt at TMBG's style, imagine that..) Does anyone else see this or have I just got TMBG on the brain...? -Josh jwh@U.Arizona.Edu -=or=- jwh@TMBG.org ** Annot: 09/12/96 10:39 am ** ** HAJ: J. Hoffman ** I too have heard this song and thought it was a TMBG song at first ear-glance... duped, Jasooooooon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:00:53 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Lotsa stuff.. read it.. pleasseee... fine then, don't! > In I Palindrome I there is a background lyric that is >weird... after "See the medical chart with the random zig zags"right after >there is a quite voice saying what sounds like "the patio knows what sings >around it" to me. Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age. It's a palindrome, get it? -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: 2 More points Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:03:14 -0500 (CDT) Ryan Staib writes: > They Might Be Giants: 19 > Lincoln : 18 > Misc-T : 18 > Unreleased : 18 > ---- > 73 song, 2-CD box set I think you're probably right. I can't see Elektra giving up any of their tracks to an independent label. > What they want to do is force everyone who wants to buy the 18 new songs > to buy all the other songs they already have, thus fueling the evil > capitalistic machine. I guess it would be ok with me since I only have "TMBG" and "Lincoln" on vinyl. I knew I was holding off buying the CDs for a good reason! :) (They should still put out a promo of the 18 unreleased tracks. Maybe just for Info Club members). -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. This is probably not a coincidence." - John Dodge in PCWeek ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:28:48 -0700 Subject: Re: hELLO Supremely unhelpful, superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee), wrote: > >On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 Peter May writes: >>I do not have many albums. In fact, the only TMBG albums >>I have are Flood, Apollo 18, and my recently obtained John Henry. >>And I have plans to obtain Factory Showroom ASAP. Can >>someone give me a list of of stuff I don't have? > >FAQ Actually, it's not in the FAQ. It's in the TMBG discography. Look at http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ >>3. On Flood's last track (Road Movie) there is a line on the lyric >>sheet that is never actually sung. What happened to it? > >FAQ Is this a FAQ? I don't remember this question being asked very often. But if you think it is a Frequently Asked Question, then I'll add it to the FAQ list. And by the way, what *did* happen to that line of the song? >>4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, behind the >>sharp sitar tones, I turned up the volume very loud and noticed >>another song playing. Then my ears were blown off by the start of >>If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the song for me? > >Can you say FAQ? Is this a Frequently Asked Question? Wow! I don't remember this question being asked. And what song is it? -- John (Maintainer of the TMBG FAQ and Discography) -- http://reality.sgi.com/relph/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:51:36 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Re: FW: hELLO > It was roughly the equivalent of a metal skewer (suitable for grilling) > being shoved quickly in one's eyesocket.. > You mean you don't *like* that?:-) m@t Let's just say there are better ways to penetrate a person. shep ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:46:55 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: 2 More points >> 73 song, 2-CD box set Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: FW: hELLO Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:43:45 -0500 (CDT) > You mean you don't *like* that?:-) > > m@t > > > Let's just say there are better ways to penetrate a person. Uh, but we're not going there, are we? *forceful smile* ;) I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"~~"`"`"<<>>"~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 17:54:16 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: 2 More points >>> 73 song, 2-CD box set >Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, >but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. Errr, and a bit more. I have a copy of PJ Harveys "Dry" CD with the limited original album plus 4-track demos of all the album tracks (fully signed as well, but that's just gloating) and that is just one tiny tad short of 80 mins - I seem to remember something like 79 mins 30 secs. Now Lincoln, in my CD Player currently, for example is 39mins 33 secs and I seem to remember "Pink" and "Misc. T" being around the 40 min mark each (plus you can ditch the singles on Misc T. that are *identical* to album mixes (can't remember how many off hand that would remove - Hotel Detective and Don't Lets Start ?). This means that provided the 18 unreleased tracks don't exceed 40 mins (approx) (and if many are dial-a-songs they may be on the short side) they should be able to do it. It'll be a tight fit though - that's for sure!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 18:15:49 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: hELLO Matthew Coon wrote : >>Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be >>automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems >>to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ >>to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? >> Ruprecht Jee wrote : >Just to make it clear, I believe they already do... it's just that no one >bothers to read that sort of thing... I've now checked back in my mail archive from when I joined the list and unfortunately all it tells you is how to unsubscribe from the list and doesn't give you the informative stuff that Jonathan Chaffer sent out yesterday. It should - but it doesn't!! So any new joiners will either have to hope to find the FAQ by Web Browsing or by waiting until Jonathans message does its occasional send. Daft huh ? But .... Getting back to the point ..... I've just thought about it and I don't know the answer to the Road Movie question either so I'm going to have to wait for John Relph to update his FAQs unless Ruprecht or someone else can enlighten me!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:56:38 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Test - Ignore this We Can't Be Silent ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:27:53 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: 2 More points On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >> 73 song, 2-CD box set > > Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, > but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. Actually, a CD can hold 80 mins of music, as evidenced by the 78 minute Rag And Bone Buffet by XTC. If we look at the first TMBG album, which has 19 songs in apprx 40 mins, and we doubled it to 38 songs in 80 mins, we can see how you could have 76 songs on 160 mins, or 2 CDs. As for the Misc. T version of Hotel Detective, it does have a different opening, enough to classify it as a single mix. The differences in the DLS single mix are far more subtle, and serve no useful purpose, but who cares. There have been some live performances where they have in fact performed the missing lines from Road Movie To Berlin. I guess it's just a choice they made to leave the lines out of the LP version. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:43:59 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: FW: hELLO > You mean you don't *like* that?:-) > > m@t > > > Let's just say there are better ways to penetrate a person. Uh, but we're not going there, are we? *forceful smile* ;) No, but it's nice to know I caught someone's attention. shep www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:51:39 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: 2-CD set Although restless thinks they are only making a few bucks by making us buy three albums again, They are acctually really helping me out. I have the three albums in the set on tape, two of them are copies. It'll be so convienient not to have to carry around 3 tapes (that I have lost before and would probably would've lost again) and I'll be able to listen to my two favorite albums with no stops at all! Plus it'll probably come with some more paraphanalia that'll be worth as much as a buck in 20 years. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:59:35 +0000 From: John Emmons Subject: Tour Can someone answer this question? Are TMBG the opening act for Hootie? Or are they going to have equal time? Thanks. marcella ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:21:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Kathryn Rose Mailing List Subject: Re: 2-CD set Hi, has it actually been confirmed that there will be the 3 bar/none albums included in the set? I thought this was just rampant speculation. It is of course entirely possible. As I think about it, I realise that this may be exactly what it is, I can't imagine where else so many non-Elektra songs are gonna come from. I'd still buy the thing even though I have the albums, that's part of the sickness. I came across a newspaper ad for Hootie And The Blowfish with special guests They Might Be Giants. I couldn't stop staring at it. Isn't this one of the ugliest bands on the planet? Darius Rucker et al make the members of Genesis look like male models. And if anyone ever SAYS the name Darius Rucker to me again, they're getting popped. This guy's name sounds like a cross between a theme park and a brand of jam. Mike ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:27:43 -0400 Subject: Everything ______ Is ______ Again Ack! another post de moi, but couldn't let this one slip by... >>Odd you mention it. I was walking around a craft show I happened to be working at a couple weeks ago and I found a booth with a logo that caught my eyes: "Everything old is new again". I flipped; I gibbered; I asked and found out I was wrong!!! It wasn't from THeY. << BARENAKED LADIES! I just got the similarities between ERIWA and EOINA the other day. Can you believe that... Well, Steve Page is a TMBG liker. btw, BNL put on a great concert to go to! -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 16:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) >OK, good, let's all let mass paranoia strike. Let's see... we have a song >called SEXXY, dealing with genetics. OH MY GOD! You're right! It sounds >just like every other song on the radio. Hee hee. :) It also means >a better chance to spread the magic of TMBG. If they are on the radio and >in concert with Hootie, and there are people that would like TMBG but >have never heard of them, then this will be good. I have to ditto this one. I mean, if I hadn't been watching "Tiny Toons" that day back in '93 when I saw the music video episode featuring "Istanbul" and "Particle Man" then I probably wouldn't have ever found out about TMBG. I've also found that if I sit there and *make* someone listen to TMBG (like in the car) either really dig them, or just look at me funny. The point is, if They become "popular" then yes, there will be some people who just like them because that's what's cool. But there will also be even more people like us, who dig them because *we're* cool. ;-> And there will be, just like any other band, people who hate them and can't understand why *anyone* would ever listen to them. Just like now. In conclusion, (ah, Mrs. Darrow would be proud) fandom probably wouldn't be all that different, except there'd be more of everything: more hardcore fans, more stupid people, and a lot of people who would then know for *sure* that they hated TMBG. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:27:26 -0400 Subject: hooootie an' shtuff I think w/ the Hootie (yuck, I almost typed "Hottie") concert deal: these boob shirt & beer people, they might come back wanting to be cool buying Flood, but they like Hootie, you guys...people generally are so antsy during the opening act, they could care less about the opener. And they like *Hootie*! To many, it's a whole different genre de musique (although I know some people like both, so don't flame me!)...they could probably care less for our beloved Johns. Oh! Some ObTMBG: in biology, were were discussing bacterias for a little bit, and did you know that the spiral shaped bacteria is the one that carries std's? possibly another song interp contender? >>Are there any other educational songs by TMBG?<< Well, Purple Toupee sorta is, but it's all jumbled up. I know someone at school who got to play WDTSS and I think Mammal for his earth science class back in grade 8. Heh, I got something for class rings, and there's all these dumb little pictures you can have on them, and one is Lincoln! :D I'd get it on there because I like that cd! ;) Actually, I don't want a ring. -sarah, wearing a They shirt! :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:45:59 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Um... Okay, everything is back to normal, I'm me again. Don't worry. I just have to remember, when sending email to my sister's mailing list, change it BACK to my name before posting to the tmbg list!! I promise it won't happen again. Mike -Pen in hand Surveys the land Knowing as no other can --Ruprecht, a man you can trust ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:27:33 -0400 Subject: can't we all just get along....? Sorry 'bout a 3rd post, guys...let's just say aol sucks. About Ruprecht's "FAQ" thing: >>It was roughly the equivalent of a metal skewer (suitable for grilling) being shoved quickly in one's eyesocket..<< Good way to put it, Shep. I'm not a brand new TMBG-er, but I didn't know anything about them at first. I still haven't gotten every bit of the faq, so just because someone doesn't know every corner of the John's mind's, does not mean you have to slaughter them. Wheteher or not "FAQ" meant you were being nasty or actually trying to point them to the faq, I don't know, but the way you put it sounded nasty to me. And may I say, no hard feelings to you, Ruprecht. I don't want to be a hypocrite, but I do get a little nauseous when some people on alt.tv.kids-in-hall ask if this is the show where they "squish heads" but i just respond politely to them. Listen, we weren't all born with knowledge of our future obsessions. Otherwise I would have seeked out about the Johns when I was 3. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ps--Matt (James): if you're sick of REM, check out Tragically Hip. They're a tad similar, but very canadian and very non-US-mainstream. ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:53:39 CST Subject: HAMMER DOWN Hello, it's me again, Hootie flamer, and enemy of some at the moment. To say the least, I just want to apologize if I ever offended any of you with my comments, and I sincerely mean that. I think some of what I said was mis-inerpreted, but in order to avoid confrontation, I will not elaborate. Thankyou to m@t who summed up my feelings very nicely as well as everyone else who supported what we as tmbg fans have got here, explained a bit what I said. To Mr. Ryan Staib, Slow Down Fella!!! I honestly can't say WHERE you got some of the things you did about me hating Their sound, Their image, what have you. I don't recall EVER saying anything to the fact of not liking their new sound. I haven't even heard ANYTHING new yet, and as of yet I am in total support of the Johns and what they have become. (Despite the Hootie incident, but I will excuse them for that, calm down.) I do in fact think they have the potential of becoming pompous musicians but that's not a personal attack on them, because everyone has potential for that. They are human beings remember, as Giant as They may be. If they do, I will be very dissapointed, but I will still go to their shows and support their music because that is what a good fan would do regardless. I'm sorry if you got the impression that that was a direct hit on the Johns, it wasn't, it was a direct hit on the mainstream because I hate it for what it can do to music, and fans, and bands, and everything etc. etc. I'll shut up now because I know you're tired of listening to me ramble. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:27:30 -0400 Subject: ObTMBG from Meeee ObTMBG: Something that bugged me...in homeroom a few days back, I was fishing through my bag for something, and a girl i know saw a couple TMBG cd's in there. She looked at them and this is our conversation (not a new line for each sentence, so I can save space ;)), "oh, I have 2 of their cd's". "Really? Which ones?" "Um..I think-" "[me, not suprised] Flood?""Yeah..and..another one.." "Apollo 18?" "No.." " Lincoln?" "I think so. It's okay. It annoys you after a while though, you know? I mean, after 5 songs it's like 'okay, that's enough!'" "I don't think so." "You don't? That kind of music doesn't bug you after a while?" "No, I love this band." "Oh." Ugh! Some people, eh? :P AAh! Just thought of something! Okay REM has their style, which I like, except Monster. I wasn't crazed about that one. But from the sounds of their new song, it sounds like they're reverting back. Which, IMHO is good, It's good for a band to experiment w/an album. I don't know why I hated it, I mean, Thurston Moore (and Sonic Youth) is a genius to me (tho not as much as the Johns and BNL). Now, what if we apply this thing to Them? JH being Their Monster (I like JH, but it's not my fave; but it is noticibly different). -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:27:38 -0400 Subject: "I'm pop-u-lar.."(i hate that song, but it's a good header) "Do you want to make more money? sure, we all do" Just starting off my note with a quote (that *is* cool!) from Silly Struthers that could possibly petain to Them. On one hand, it would't be so bad if They went mainstream and got really rich. I mean, think of the possibilities...Although, it could go to Their [puppet] heads and They could charge $200 a ticket (like someone..), but I know it would not happen. I'm sure I'm sorry for a 4th post, but I'm just in a gabby mood. And OTOH... >>There are a few fans that like Them because They're relatively unpopular, but, well take my college as an example: I see more people on campus wearing TMBG t-shirts than any other kind of t-shirt; here They're very popular, and one might even go so far as to say They're "mainstream" in the little sub-culture that is Carnegie Mellon, and nobody seems to mind. << heh. here I go. I got 3 TMBG shirts in the mail on monday, and i'm wearing one today. It's cool waking down the hall of your Green Day/Alanis t-shirt filled high-school, and see a kid with blue hair smile at my shirt. It's like our secret handshake, guys! ::Hey cool! Someone else who likes them! Or at least has heard of them!:: I also love the funny looks I get from some mainstream-stupid. I know they're thinking "Who are There May Be Giants?" -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 17:11 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Lansing show w/ Hootie Well, for anyone interested, I have some info on the show w/ Hootie in E. Lansing. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (friday); prices are $32 for floor and $28 for in the stands. I think I'll probably go... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Tour dates, with and without the Blowkids Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:16:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts Here are the dates listed on Restless's TMBG page : * = date with Hootie 9/19 -- Los Angeles, CA -- House of Blues 9/22 -- Richmond, VA -- Mayo Island Music 9/23 -- Charlottesville, VA -- Traxx 9/25 -- New York, NY -- Mercury Lounge 9/27 -- Albany, NY -- SUNY @ Albany 9/28 -- Providence, RI -- Brown University 9/29 -- Geneseo, NY -- SUNY @ Geneseo 9/30 -- Garden City, NY -- WLIR Free Show 10/1 -- Wake Forest, NC -- Magnolia Court 10/2 -- Athens, GA -- State Theater 10/4 -- Gainesville, FL -- Alachua Fairgrounds 10/5 -- Jacksonville, FL -- Milk Bar 10/7 -- Jackson, MS -- Lyric Hall 10/8 -- New Orleans, LA -- House of Blues *10/9 -- Memphis, TN -- Pyramid 10/10 -- Knoxville, TN -- Thompson-Bolling 10/13 -- Philadelphia, PA -- Trocadero 10/14 -- Washington, DC -- Taste of DC, 12th Stage *10/15 -- Montreal, QUE -- Molson Center *10/16 -- Toronto, ONT -- Toronto Skydome *10/18 -- E. Lansing, MI -- Breslin Ctr., MSU *10/19 -- Champaign, IL -- Assembly Ctr. *10/20 -- Ft. Wayne, OH -- Ft. Wayne College *10/22 -- Lexington, KY -- Rupp Arena *10/23 -- Carbondale, IL -- SIU Arena *10/25 -- Ames, IA -- Hilton Col *10/26 -- Omaha, NE -- Civic Auditorium *10/27 -- Columbia, MO -- Hearns Ctr. *10/29 -- Moline, IL -- The Mark *10/30 -- Madison, WI -- Dane County College *10/31 -- Minneapolis, MN -- Target Ctr. *11/2 -- Fargo, ND -- Fargo Dome WRT the Halloween show in Minneapolis: I've heard a rumour that this is being sold thru TicketMaster, and they go on sale today or tomorrow. However, Ticketmaster's web page doesn't seem to know anything about it. Ah well. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:39:11 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... I'm posting this to my two fave lists just out of sheer delight, and plus, I know this band (not TMBG and not DMB) has been brought up in here. According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. Free at last, free at last, good God Almighty, we are free at last. shep who would not bullshit anybody about such wonderful news ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 17:51:07 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: POPULARITY! Before someone correct s my spelling, I can't spell, so don't. Four years ago, there was a mighty concert. It was not only a TMBG concert, but it was in the small secluded town of Hanover NH. (That's where I live) Hanover only has 9000 people, but it has a college which may have brought it the concert. Four the last four years, there has always been SOMEONE to talk to about them. But with the coming of this year brought the leaving of the seniors who were froshes of the time of the concert. I don't know whether to be happy that all the Flood owning freaks are gone, or sad that the few intelligent people have par ted. Oh well, this is irrelivant. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 17:55:56 -0400 (EDT) From: metrasm@vivanet.com (MDM) Subject: sept 23rd >As far as I know, the Trax date (Charlottesville, VA, Sep 23) is correct. It >better be, as I have already purchased tickets! What I don't understand is >why the official page lists some other place (something in NY, I think) for >that date. >Greg this should be fun, because they are selling tickets to the geneseo ny show also -MDM ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:14:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: RE: 2 More points blah blah blah, stuff about how much a CD holds and how many songs and stuff. Anyway, if it's gonna be the equivilant of four albums on 2 CDs, that means that one CD wil be twice as long as a normal Album. This will do wonders for those of us w/out CD changers :) Unfortunatly, I'll have to go buy this for the 18 unreleased tracks. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:06:04 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... On Thu, 12 Sep 1996 Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com wrote: > I'm posting this to my two fave lists just out of sheer delight, and > plus, I know this band (not TMBG and not DMB) has been brought up in here. > > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. > > Free at last, free at last, good God Almighty, we are free at last. > > > shep > who would not bullshit anybody about such wonderful news WHOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dancing around my monitor!! P.S. Shep....dont' forward this to the list....I already CC'd it there... S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music World. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:42:42 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" -stands up- Hi, ... my name is Wayde, and I'm a THEY-A-Holic! There, now that I've finally got my feet wet, I was just wondering if anyone out there has either (I think there's only two) of those baby CD's -that's the 3" ones- I'd be really interested in taking those off your hands... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:42:41 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Info Club Okay, i sent something to get signed up on the info club a long time ago and nothing yet... Can someone tell me exactly what to send and where (how much money, how many SASEs) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 19:12:43 -0400 From: Peter May Subject: TriOmen the Nerd's daily note And now, today's note to the TMBG Mailing Listers: To Will Nunn: I AM a freaky nerd and a weirdo. But not a loser. To Ruprecht Jee: Thanks for the HOSTILITY. Now go back to making sandwiches in your deli. To Mr. Badger/Martin Baker, and Shep: Thanks for supporting the newcomer cause. To JWH: Not only is "Everything you know is wrong" a horrible attempt at Their style, but the credits lack due respect to Them (Flood references to things such as Saint Peter and prosthetics)... ---- I haven't earned much popularity throughout my life because I am so weird. My activities currently include listening to Them, football (I now have a broken arm), putting together electronics, and other things that don't taste good together like peppermints and orange juice >:-^ Well, I am currently offering tape dubs of the following for any of Their works I don't have: The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Anthology II, White Album Blues Traveler: Travelers and Thieves, Four, Blues Traveler. and various Yes, Genesis, and more that I can borrow from my brother. You must supply the blank 90 or more minute tape. Please give me any offer you want in return... ---Dig me up, Shake my hand. Appreciate me.--- The Nerd TriOmen http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ps_freq/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee) Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:52:23 EDT On Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:28:48 -0700 relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) writes: >Supremely unhelpful, superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee), wrote: >> >>On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 Peter May >writes: >>>I do not have many albums. In fact, the only TMBG albums >>>I have are Flood, Apollo 18, and my recently obtained John Henry. >>>And I have plans to obtain Factory Showroom ASAP. Can >>>someone give me a list of of stuff I don't have? >> >>FAQ > >Actually, it's not in the FAQ. It's in the TMBG discography. Look at >http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ Well, there is a link to the discography from the FAQ, no? >>>3. On Flood's last track (Road Movie) there is a line on the lyric >>>sheet that is never actually sung. What happened to it? >> >>FAQ > >Is this a FAQ? I don't remember this question being asked very often. >But if you think it is a Frequently Asked Question, then I'll add it >to the FAQ list. > >And by the way, what *did* happen to that line of the song? Hm, I thought for sure it was in there... if not, there must be some notation about it at www.tmbg.org... The word on the street is that they either just decided not to sing it, or forgot it. Either way that's too bad because it's a damn good line... >>>4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, behind the >>>sharp sitar tones, I turned up the volume very loud and noticed >>>another song playing. Then my ears were blown off by the start of >>>If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the song for me? >> >>Can you say FAQ? > >Is this a Frequently Asked Question? Wow! I don't remember this >question being asked. And what song is it? > At least something like once in a month this sort of question is asked and people seem to think it's people yelling "HELP!" backwards, or some sort of nonsense... I'm glad that everyone hates me now!!!!! :) Martyr for the cause, Martyr for the cause... wait, what's the cause? Am I the only one who still can't hear the tone of people's voices on the internet? On Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:39:11 PDT Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) writes: >According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. > Happened before, will happen again. A damn good way to increase record sales. OAT: check it out, one, single, message. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:37:19 +0005 Subject: MRL - last post, READ ME This may be getting annoying, but this is my last post on this topic. If you are interested in getting a tape of Them on Modern Rock Live last Sunday and haven't emailed me, now's your chance. I accept and appreciate any kind of donations, but they're not required. Just email me letting me know you're sending me tapes, a self addressed stamped envelope, etc... and then send it on out. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. IF you have something to trade for it, you'll probably get yours the fastest. my address is: Doug Haas 952 Woodcreek Drive Milford, OH 45150-1529 All tapes will be mailed ASAP and the max time it should take to get everything done is about two weeks since I have been so overwhelmed by requests. ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:41:09 -0500 (CDT) Ruprecht Jee writes: > At least something like once in a month this sort of question is asked > and people seem to think it's people yelling "HELP!" backwards, or some > sort of nonsense... Look again. This is a different question. I haven't noticed a *song* playing at the end of "See The Constellation" before, either. I need to run home now and get my Apollo 18... -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. This is probably not a coincidence." - John Dodge in PCWeek ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:10:54 -0700 Subject: Re:hELLO >Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be >automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems >to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ >to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? > >m@t I'd just like to add a vote in favour of this Idea. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:39:47 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... Shepard,Ryan wrote: > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. Oh my god! Is this real? It's almost too good to be true? Or is it not true? Please let it be true! -- "I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up."-They Might Be Giants Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:48:35 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: ObTMBG from Meeee > AAh! Just thought of something! Okay REM has their style, which I like, > except Monster. I wasn't crazed about that one. But from the sounds of their > new song, it sounds like they're reverting back. Which, IMHO is good, It's > good for a band to experiment w/an album. I don't know why I hated it, I > mean, Thurston Moore (and Sonic Youth) is a genius to me (tho not as much as > the Johns and BNL). Now, what if we apply this thing to Them? JH being Their > Monster (I like JH, but it's not my fave; but it is noticibly different). For the record, I like monster. Just not that much. But anyway, the new REM album has some songs in their older style, and a few obligiatory crush with eyeliner/what's the frequency kenneth new style songs. I love it! If TMBG do that, I won't mind at all. John Henry is definately better than Monster. Let's all hope that there are more Metal Detector style songs on Factory Showroom than SEXXY style songs. -- "I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up."-They Might Be Giants Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:51:43 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT >On Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:28:48 -0700 relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) >writes: >>Supremely unhelpful, superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht Jee), wrote: >>> >>>On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:08:20 -0400 Peter May >>writes: *snip* >>> >>>FAQ >> >>Actually, it's not in the FAQ. It's in the TMBG discography. Look at >>http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ > >Well, there is a link to the discography from the FAQ, no? *snip* >>> >>>FAQ >> >>Is this a FAQ? I don't remember this question being asked very often. >>But if you think it is a Frequently Asked Question, then I'll add it >>to the FAQ list. *snip >>>Can you say FAQ? *snip* I'm not sure if I can say FAQ. I guess it's pronounced "fack" but I'm not sure. I call it this, does anyone else? Or do you call it the F-A-Q? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 21:07:16 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Info Club On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Okay, i sent something to get signed up on the info club a long time ago > and nothing yet... Can someone tell me exactly what to send and where (how > much money, how many SASEs) > Well, it's supposed to be free to join the info club, you can join at concerts, unless you live in Canada and your name is Michael Rose. I haven't gotten anything from the info club since fall 1994. I have re-signed my name to lists at concerts TWICE in 1996, still to no avail. I have not yet determined what it is I have to do to remind the Info club that I am not dead and not in prison. I'd love it if someone could give me a constructive suggestion. I have already not gotten the Mono Puff postcard sent out a few months ago and I am entirely certain that I shall not also receive any TMBG related document that may or may not be sent out soon. Thank you. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:24:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Sep-96 Re: hELLO + OAT by Robert Grabill@valley.ne > I'm not sure if I can say FAQ. I guess it's pronounced "fack" but I'm not > sure. I call it this, does anyone else? Or do you call it the F-A-Q? I pronounce it fack, but many people say F A Q. I find people are pretty much split down the middle on this. There was a big discussion about it on some newgroup I read when someone made a little rhyming (or not rhyming) poem with it. I think this is perhaps a tad irrelevant. Silly, too. -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: 2 More points Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:49:29 -0400 (EDT) > > >> 73 song, 2-CD box set > > Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, > but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. CDs can hold about 80 minutes. I had one that was like 79 and some seconds long. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 23:01:13 -0400 (EDT) > I'm posting this to my two fave lists just out of sheer delight, and > plus, I know this band (not TMBG and not DMB) has been brought up in here. > > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. > > Free at last, free at last, good God Almighty, we are free at last. I had heard that from our fellow listy in Liverpool (heya Phil) and was rather shocked. I hate Oasis and I'm glad they are breaking up but I find it very peculiar. Considering the supreme success they have had, especially this year, I don't see why they're doing it. They must really not like each other or something of that nature. -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 20:06:04 -0700 Subject: Re: 2 More points > Two more things. "I hope they never go on MTV, or worse, top 40 >radio!" Um... besides their numerous videos, they go on 120 Minutes just >about once per album. And, Birdhouse was pretty big, especially in the >UK. >It definitely made top 40. In fact, I think it made top 10. Why haven't >you stopped listening already? > > Last thing. I don't know if someone said this already, but: > >They Might Be Giants: 19 >Lincoln : 18 >Misc-T : 18 >Unreleased : 18 > ---- > 73 song, 2-CD box set > >What they want to do is force everyone who wants to buy the 18 new songs >to buy all the other songs they already have, thus fueling the evil >capitalistic machine. I personally think this a very evil plot, but I >_could_ be wrong. > >RS I'm glad they're releasing this set. Now I'll be able to get the older stuff too, since I'm too new to Them to even mention. Just thought I'd leave that vote. Sorry. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: MORE stuff.. READ IT THIS TIME, another birdhouse parody! Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:07:52 -0500 I'M IN HELL!!!! AAARRGGHHHHH!!! that or i'm pretty mad.... Finally, they play in madison, WI, the one place i might actually be able to see them, but they're opening for HOOTIE!!??!!, not quite....... the insanity.... Okay, now everything i forgoot in my last post: ANOTHER BIRDHOUSE PARADOY (this time non-politacal [ i still think Bob Dole means the slow and painful death of this country though]) Blue canary near the hallway in the living room [say it fast] Who watches daytime TV make a little birdhouse, put him there..... All the other lyrics are still rather jumbled, if anyone wants me to post it completley, not just parts, JUST GIMME THE WORD! I NEED HELP!!! well, not that urgent but i really want some shirts and posters and stuff... on the newsgroup do they send you catalogs ( not that that would help, considering it dosen't seem to be all that active.. ) The other day in school, atanding around in the bathroom waiting for another minute before end of lunch period (didn't wanna have to go outside) i swear a kid yelled "Make A Little Birdhouse In Your Soul"... unless it was really "Hey, what's going on there, joel?" and i have listened to they too much. They might be novelty? Well, i get very angry when people like them - and consider themselves fans- when they have only heard flood and think all their songs are jst supposed to be funny.. and won't change their minds.. I was like that for about a week... Well, i still think i am forgetting something... TOO BAD.. _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TriOmen the Nerd's daily note Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:30:07 -0500 (EST) > TriOmen writes: > > To Ruprecht Jee: > > Thanks for the HOSTILITY. Now go back to making sandwiches in your deli. > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > Huh??? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:40:00 -0500 (CDT) From: JAM (Jamal O Rogers) Subject: they shirts I would like to ask a favor from anyone who has a recent copy of the Info club newsletter. You see, I lost mine and wanted to order a shirt, but i didn't really have one in mind. I would appreciate it if someone could list the names of some of the cool shirts. I assume that the official web site is up, it will have an online catalog. but until then, thanks. J, the mysterious (who is happy because They are coming to Iowa, but mad because they are bringing Hootie with them!) P.S. is anyone else out there in listie-land from Grinnell College(or Iowa in general?) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:50:42 -0700 (PDT) From: Jacqueline -- BlackCat Subject: TMBG rules. Hello there, I'm new to this list, but certinly not new to tmbg. I have 6 of their cds, but unfortunatly have never seen them live. Sorry if this post seems a little stupid to you all :P But I just wanted to say hi, i have a friend who goes by the handle "blue canary" and her twin sister by "spider". I live in texas, and they never come around here...i think they did a while back, i didn't get a chance to go since it was a long time ago, like 3 years, and i couldn't go where they were playing. I never knew there was a tmbg mailing list (thanks shep from nancies) or i would've been on here sooner. You know, most people out here (when you mention tmbg) say, "who? they might be what??" heh i think it's funny. a few people (rarely) say, oh, didn't they have that one song, istanbul, or something? hehe...i find that kind of thing highly amusing. Just my way of saying hello to you people. Jacqueline gina@crl.com "A rich man once told me "Hey life's a funny thing." A poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak." -tmbg (duh) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:31:37 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: Re: 2 More points Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > > >> 73 song, 2-CD box set > > Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, > but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. Does anyone really care HOW they're going to do it as much as the fact that it is going to be released. Personally, as a person that doesn't have much stuff by them, aside from the normal albums and Misc. T, I think it's great and will go out and buy it no matter what. Now I will ask again, could someone please send me a list of bootleg available featuring Them and possibly how I could go abouts getting it. Thanx, Mike. "You can dance if you want to."- Men Without Hats ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:54:48 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT John Iacoletti wrote: > Look again. This is a different question. I haven't noticed a *song* > playing at the end of "See The Constellation" before, either. I need to run > home now and get my Apollo 18 There is a "song" if you can call it that. Really faint almost at the end is a melody of sorts. I do not know what it is, but it's there. Maybe there is something to the "Help" theory but maybe it's being taken the wrong way, but that's just speculation and I think backwards so don't listen to me. Mike "Who is this man with pecks like melons and knees of fringe?", Joel of MST3K ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:02:11 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT Robert Grabill wrote: > I'm not sure if I can say FAQ. I guess it's pronounced "fack" but I'm not > sure. I call it this, does anyone else? Or do you call it the F-A-Q? I call it "fack" but only because everyone says I'm a brain and in keeping with this I take the letters FAQ as the phoenetical pronunciation of an anagram. MAD "Crack that whip", Devo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-250 ******************************