Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 251 Saturday, 14 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Info Club (none) (none) (none) (none) Literary finds part 4 Stupid question of the year!!! Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... or oa-SUCKS!!!! BOBA MAIL: Hootie European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Ding dong the witch is dead etc. etc. ad nauseam FW: Literary finds part 5 A Taste of DC Re: hELLO + OAT Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 HULKSTER MAIL BOBA MAIL: Road Movie, Hootie Re: 2-CD set and the Mainstream Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) Many thanks! New Box Set Re: 2-CD set and the Mainstream HELP!!! (fwd) Re: CD Box Set Length Re: New Box Set BOBA MAIL: New Box Set Re: Box Set / FAQ Hello 1993 Sampler CD For Sale end of See The Constellation Two questions RE: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Ding dong, the witch is still breathing ......just RE: Stupid question of the year!!! Factory Showroom RE: BOBA MAIL: Hootie FAQs n' stuff Re: Concerts Re: Ding dong the witch is dead etc. etc. ad nauseam Re: hELLO + OAT factory showroom... What do people say? RE: Stupid question of the year!!! Re: hELLO marriage Re: hELLO Box Set Re: FAQs n' stuff Re: end of See The Constellation READ! Re: New Box Set RE: Stupid question of the year!!! Re: New Box Set Texas Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:12:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: Info Club Some guy named Mike Rose, from Totonot wrote: > haven't gotten anything from the info club since fall 1994. I have > re-signed my name to lists at concerts TWICE in 1996, still to no avail. I can attest to this...."I am not dead, please send me stuff" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:58:49 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Jacqueline -- BlackCat wrote somthing about... i have a friend who goes by the handle "blue canary" and her twin sister by "spider". I go by Statue..."The Statue Got Me High" and my home page is.. http://ww3.ncweb.com/statue just wanted to say that for no reason whatsoever! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:58:46 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Quick question to you all... This may sound stupid...cause I know there is one... but is there a catalog of THEY merchandise...Every time I go to the concerts, I am forced to leave to early to get the things I've wanted... If (and I know there is) there is one...could someone please mail/post it? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:59:07 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Another quick question... what is the best way to post to you all... right now I'm doing a lot of cutting and pasting of previous posts.... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:59:22 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Robert Grabill wrote: > I'm not sure if I can say FAQ. I guess it's pronounced "fack" but I'm not > sure. I call it this, does anyone else? Or do you call it the F-A-Q? I call it "FACK"...that's just the way it is now-a-days... otherwise it'd be silly to half-way shorten it.... know what I mean? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 03:40:46 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Literary finds part 4 Hi! It's been a while, I just regained full motor control, so here's part four of the popular series I call "Weird Literary Finds." This one is from the back cover of a book called "The Healers" (1979) by Gerald Green. DOCTORS, BROTHERS, HEALERS... The powerful saga of a medical family at war with itself-and with the world! KEVIN DERRY, M.D. The golden boy. Handsome, brilliant, born to win. He built a multimillion dollar medical empire, and all it cost him was his conscience. JENNY Wife to one brother, mistress to another. Seeking to bind together with love what passion was destined to shatter... JOE DERRY, M.D. The angry one. Hard, hot-tempered, headstrong. He put his ideals first in a hospital jungle where only the corrupt survived... Heh heh. Wow. Imagine walking into their hospital with a broken arm and trying to get some attention with all of this intrigue and romance going on. Not to mention the inherent dangers of a hospital jungle. Mike. ------------------------------ From: "Johannisson, Sune" Subject: Stupid question of the year!!! Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 12:57:00 DST Hi! Greeting from Denmark! I've recently bought the vidio compilation (I was sooo surprised to be able to get it here) It's g r e a t !!! But, I just realised having never seen Them live or on video before.... I don't know who is who!!!! *Feeling very stupid* :-) Which of them wears glasses??? Flansburg??? I know it's a stupid Q, but I just don't know where to find the info. Also.. can anyone direct me to a place where it is possible to buy a T-shirt by mail? (And pay by mail) I also want to thank all the people who mailed me with band names... You are much to kind, thanks :-) I've found a few of the bands, btw. Sune Johannesson. Sjohanniss@aki.ku.dk | Http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1042/ | Insert Missing "As I walk I think about a new way to walk. | Logo/Quote As I think I'm using up the time left to think" - TMBG. | ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 07:33:43 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: Ding dong, the witch is dead..... or oa-SUCKS!!!! > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. > > Free at last, free at last, good God Almighty, we are free at last. Thank you lord!!! Hip hip hooray! Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:51:40 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Hootie Johanna Wrote: I don't know > about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up > and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! > Honey, don't worry. That won't happen. It's not part of the master plan. They're probably just doing it so Elektra will let Them make a video. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: 13 Sep 1996 14:55:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Organization: private site running a Cray 2000Mhz supercomputer The European release of the new TMBG album will be October 4th. A massive four days before US fans can get it! :) -- -- Daniel Rodrigues Parreira amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira "parreira@tmbg.org" the netherlands pgp key on request europe ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:58:40 PST Subject: Ding dong the witch is dead etc. etc. ad nauseam > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. > > Free at last, free at last, good God Almighty, we are free at last. This is all over the TV news in Britain this morning - please don't let's clog up this mailing list with even more unnecessary publicity and discussion for possibly the world's most overrated band. Instead can someone please tell me if we're going to be able to get hold of this super-marvellous TMBG 2CD box set (that you allkeep raving about) here in the UK? love and kisses xxx Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 06:39:45 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Literary finds part 5 It's been a while, I just regained full motor control, so here's part four of the popular series I call "Weird Literary Finds." This one is from the back cover of a book called "The Healers" (1979) by Gerald Green. DOCTORS, BROTHERS, HEALERS... The powerful saga of a medical family at war with itself-and with the world! KEVIN DERRY, M.D. The golden boy. Handsome, brilliant, born to win. He built a multimillion dollar medical empire, and all it cost him was his conscience. JENNY Wife to one brother, mistress to another. Seeking to bind together with love what passion was destined to shatter... JOE DERRY, M.D. The angry one. Hard, hot-tempered, headstrong. He put his ideals first in a hospital jungle where only the corrupt survived... Heh heh. Wow. Imagine walking into their hospital with a broken arm and trying to get some attention with all of this intrigue and romance going on. Not to mention the inherent dangers of a hospital jungle. Funny you should mention literary finds....here's a great children's book (?) I found at a local book sale in Rochester: RYAN AND THE RAMEN NOODLE INCIDENT There's no way to start explainin Just what happened to the Ramen And you know who they'll be blamin: Ryan, cause he lost the Ramen Sniffing dogs, they started training Just to find the missing Ramen Tempers have now started flamin Due to all the misplaced Ramen Ryan made it in his kitchen He was hungry, got an itchin Just to have some tasty Ramen Now the Ramenless are bitchin Body bags they started stitchin All due to young Ryan's itchin For the Ramen he was making As he worked there in the kitchen Chicken flavour, he was pouring On the Ramen he was storing And he ate the yummy Ramen While the Ramenless were snoring As they woke up in the morning They found lack of Ramen boring Started screaming at young Ryan Voices sound like Gloria Loring* Now young Ryan's found repentence Wondering when this Ramen Lent ends Making Ramen in the morning, In the evening, that's his sentence So while others are in slumber Don't go doing something dumber Don't go eating all the Ramen Best believe they've got your number. -end- Copyright 1996 (c) yesIjustWroteThis productions *Gloria Loring was a soap opera star who had a Top 40 hit back in 1987, I think. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: A Taste of DC Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:05:18 -0400 (EDT) I called the DC Conference Bureau today (1-202-789-7000) and they told me that the festival, A Taste of DC, is going on from Oct. 12-14 (I assume TMBG is only on the 14th) from 12 noon to 7pm. It will be located on Pennsylvania Ave. between 9-14 sts. It is a big festival with lots of different entertainment. They did not have any band information yet, though. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:26:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT > I call it "fack" but only because everyone says I'm a brain and > in keeping with this I take the letters FAQ as the phoenetical > pronunciation of an anagram. well, too bad FAQ isnt an anagram... (umm, an anagram of...QAF?) just to showcase some lingustic knowledge... there is a big linguistic difference between pronouncing this as "fack" or actually saying each letter. the former would be an acronym, as you would pronounce the letters together to form a coherent word (i.e. laser, scuba, etc...). the latter would be an abbreviation (linguistically), a la "CIA" or "SAT"... the former is considered a "syllable word," the latter a "letter word." ok, just a quick linguistic lesson. (abbreviations and acronyms are somewhat important ways new words are formed nowadays...in "FAQt," FAQ might just be becoming a new one in our language!) ok, i know it was bad... ;) see you all... --fransburrrrgh ------------------------------ From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:41:30 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 Hello everyone! I've been gone for months...i just got back from my summer break from college (and my internet connection), and it feels great to be back! Anyway, I have lots of things to mention about discusions on the list. First of all, popularity. They might be giants will never become mainstream popular unless they sell out. This is because Their music is just not generally as commercial as is needed to be a mainstream success. I myself think that They have slowly been heading in this direction as Their albums have progressed. I have to defend Their touring scheme with Hootie, however, because all it will be doing is getting 'the good word out.' As long as Their music doesn't change, the more ppl that know about tmbg the better...there will always be lots of people that dislike them though. I am a fan of both REM and TmBg, and I like Monster better than John Henry. This is primarily because I don't think Tmbg can play full-band style very well...it is too bogged down...seems too slow and cumbersome. Monster has a great sound...it's very fuzzy...i like that:) It is much more unified than John Henry and REM's skill at what they do is Very apparent. Third, the Boxed set. If they release it on only 2 cds, I will be very happy. If it was 4 cds, then basically what I'd be getting when I buy it is 3 cds that I already have and 1 new one. If it's on 2 cds, then I'm getting a pair of new cds...not all of the songs will be new, but how cool will it be to have a TmBg\Lincoln combination On the SAME cd?? It'll be awesome! And it'll be nice to get another copy of Misc T...cause I just lost mine...:( It was in my case logic and I can't find it for the life of me. Also, although the whole thing in general seems like a marketing ploy to make a bit of extra dough, a 2 cd set will be a helluva lot cheaper than a 4 cd set...kinda makes you wonder why they'd put them on 2 cds instead of 4... You'd think they'd make more off of the 4. What is it now...25 days until Factory Showroom? http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ Nathan Todd/aka Linnel ntodd@emba.uvm.edu nathan@tmbg.org ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ "someTimes i feel like being wispy, and once in a while i feel like being dry" "everyThing is gonna burn, we'll all Take Turns, i'll get mine Too" the PiXies\They Might be GIANTs ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ From: "Hulk Hogan" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:36:44 EST Subject: HULKSTER MAIL Listen Brother, I really like that They Might Be Giants thing. I was wondering if they were coming to Venice Beach, brother. Whatchya gonna do when John & John run wild on you? dedicated to Michael Rose and his love of professional wrestling ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:41:15 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Road Movie, Hootie Mean Mikey Rose Wrote: > There have been some live performances where they have in fact > performed the missing lines from Road Movie To Berlin. I guess it's just > a choice they made to leave the lines out of the LP version. > Yes, but I think the additional lines are part of the song. They didn't want to make the song long and redundant on the record so They shortened it to what it is. When They play it live, They want to play the whole song but if They sang the additional lyrics people would assume that the new lyrics were improvised and UNCOPYRIGHTED. This would leave certain people to believe that they (the people in question) could take these (the lyrics) and copyright them (again, the lyrics). This is probably the most likely reason for the extra lyrics being printed but not played. With all of this talk about Hootie, I wonder if they are coming to Pittsburgh anytime soon. They were just here in July w/o TMBG. Alas, Boba Out.. -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:43:42 -0400 Subject: Re: 2-CD set and the Mainstream >has it actually been confirmed that there will be the 3 bar/none >albums included in the set? :::Trying to remember::: I remember my friend saying that, yes, the box set will definitely have TMBG, Lincoln, and some songs from Misc. T. And at the very end are 18 various TMBOddities... Old D-A-S introductions, strange versions of old songs, and the like. As for the discussion of Hootie and the mainstream and, well, Oasis: First off, which would be worse, Them opening for Hootie or Them opening for Oasis? Just a thought. I've always kind of thought that TMBG are already mainstream or at least just on the verge of being so. If I happened to screw up and actually listen to one of those Top 40 Alternative stations, the chances that I would hear a TMBG song are greater than the chances of me hearing a lot of the other bands I listen to. No matter how little TMBG are played on the radio or on MTV, they still get a whole lot more airplay than many, many other wonderful bands. If nothing else, look at cub... Now granted they seem to have found more of a following with "Box of Hair," but regular ol' MTV still won't play their video for "Freaky." Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: Delphin7@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:00:47 -0400 Subject: Re: Hootie (this one's big, people) In a message dated 96-09-12 16:38:34 EDT, you write: << And there will be, just like any other band, people who hate them and can't understand why *anyone* would ever listen to them. Just like now. >> Except some of them would just hate Them because They were popular, a stupid reason, in my book. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:41:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Stephen M Helmick Subject: Many thanks! To all of you who I didn't get a chance to write, Thanks for the overwhelming response to my *grito por ayuda*. Because of all of you caring people, I will be able to see TMBG on Oct.20 in Toledo with Hootie Blowsmyfish!!! I appreciate the help, and will return the favor if possible. Catch ya on the flipside, guys & dolls! KoBRa "Never let them see you sweat. And if i were you, I'd be careful not to let them hear you fart either!" ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 10:29:14 MDT Subject: New Box Set Ryan Staib writes: > They Might Be Giants: 19 > Lincoln : 18 > Misc-T : 18 > Unreleased : 18 > ---- > 73 song, 2-CD box set I think you're probably right. I can't see Elektra giving up any of their tracks to an independent label. I just heard from Daniel in the Netherlands, that the Bar-None albums & videos have been reissued by Elektra. Perhaps Elektra owns the rights to the European market? Is there a cross-lisencing agreement between Bar-None and Elektra? Since I only have Lincoln on vinyl, I'm more inclined than most to buy the upcoming boxed set. CONCERTS: What, no concerts between Omaha and Los Angelas! There's a third of the continent between there! OAT: I've been lending my TMBG CDs to another guy at work. Chalk up another fan of TMBG! I have yet to even HEAR a single song by Hootie or Oasis (knowingly). But just because they won a Grammie (totally meaningless award) doesn't mean they're BAD. Just look at Billy Joel. He's great! (BTW, "Turnstiles" is Joel's best, totally rockin' album.) ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: 2-CD set and the Mainstream Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:59:32 -0400 (EDT) > I remember my friend saying that, yes, the box set will definitely have TMBG, > Lincoln, and some songs from Misc. T. And at the very end are 18 various > TMBOddities... Old D-A-S introductions, strange versions of old songs, and > the like. Old DAS versions might be neat, but if it's 4-CDs I konw it'll be too pricy. > > As for the discussion of Hootie and the mainstream and, well, Oasis: First > off, which would be worse, Them opening for Hootie or Them opening for Oasis? > Just a thought. I'd actually have to go with Oasis over Hootie, I don't like ether but if I absolutely had to choose.. > > I've always kind of thought that TMBG are already mainstream or at least just > on the verge of being so. If I happened to screw up and actually listen to > one of those Top 40 Alternative stations, the chances that I would hear a > TMBG song are greater than the chances of me hearing a lot of the other bands > I listen to. No matter how little TMBG are played on the radio or on MTV, > they still get a whole lot more airplay than many, many other wonderful > bands. If nothing else, look at cub... Now granted they seem to have found > more of a following with "Box of Hair," but regular ol' MTV still won't play > their video for "Freaky." MTV Europe plays some good stuff you just don't find in America. But I'm sure even that sucks. You're right about tmbg being played a lot more than other bands. I'd like to see a video for the Beat Farmer's Happy Boy, I wonder if trhere is one? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:43:04 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: HELP!!! (fwd) Hey, Kobra. That seems like a very... familiar sig. If you find some place that has They in the near region then I'll hook up with you. You know who I am. You know what I've done. The penguin's in your house. The wonderfully crazy and semi sadistic couson of you all, (Kobra especially) Brother John Blackhawk (Without a date to homecoming) "Well, Dave, we went to the crossroads and shook hands with the devil." ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:43:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Stephen M Helmick To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: HELP!!! Wassup, you party people? Listen up, kids, I'm in a jam. I live in Bowling Green ,Ohio. Anybody got the lowdown on an upcoming TMBG show nearby here? (Nearby this place is like Toledo, Detroit, Cincinatti, Indianapollis, or any where within the same distance.) I'm seriously in need of some THEY action live. Any word will be greatly apreciado. Catch y'all on the flipside. KObrA "Yous knows how it is; Hang loose, reproduce, and keep those puppies dry!I'm off like a prom dress!C-ya" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:06:37 -0800 From: batura@nccn.net (Adam Kline) Subject: Re: CD Box Set Length > A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. CD's can hold a LOT of sound. Most two-disc sets could easily fit on one CD, it's just that the record companies know that they can charge more for two CDs. Elvis Costello's best-of CD is over 78 minutes long. Thankfully they didn't just put the music on two 39-minute CDs. Perhaps, on this TMBG box set, we're in for a couple of long CDs. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | The Simpsons - Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes | | Yah-Yah Littleman - The Police - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - Frank Einstein, Madman - Rutles | ------- People who live in glass houses shouldn't drink poison. --------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:17:05 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: New Box Set On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 wrote: > > I think you're probably right. I can't see Elektra giving up any of their > tracks to an independent label. > > > I just heard from Daniel in the Netherlands, that the Bar-None > albums & videos have been reissued by Elektra. Perhaps Elektra owns the > rights to the European market? Is there a cross-lisencing agreement > between Bar-None and Elektra? > > Since I only have Lincoln on vinyl, I'm more inclined than most to > buy the upcoming boxed set. In the US, Elektra thru Warner reissued at least the first album on CD. It was reissued in 1990, I think, by Elektra with somewhat different packaging than the Bar/None CD from 1987. The booklet on the 1990 version is a lighter shade of pink, has a different font inside, a different layout on the back card, and the CD itself lists the tracks in a rounded fashion on the CD face, while the 1987 version has no tracks listed there, only four of the snowmen, equally spaced. I've got all the albums on CD except Misc. T, as well as Flood and TMBG on vinyl (TMBG sealed)...and I will still buy this set. Mike ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:28:20 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: New Box Set > Ryan Staib writes: > > They Might Be Giants: 19 > > Lincoln : 18 > > Misc-T : 18 > > Unreleased : 18 > > ---- > > 73 song, 2-CD box set > > I think you're probably right. I can't see Elektra giving up any of their > tracks to an independent label. > > They Might Re-record some tracks and put them out as 'unreleased' tracks. Other tracks might include live ones or cover songs. I will undoubtedly purchase this set. This is the BIG ONE. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Hello Chumley!" -Tennesee Tuxedo boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:33:16 -0700 Subject: Re: Box Set / FAQ "Martin Baker" , broadcasting live from Mars: > >>>> 73 song, 2-CD box set > >Now Lincoln, in my CD Player currently, for example is 39mins 33 secs and I >seem to remember "Pink" and "Misc. T" being around the 40 min mark each (plus >you can ditch the singles on Misc T. that are *identical* to album mixes >(can't remember how many off hand that would remove - Hotel Detective and >Don't Lets Start ?). Actually, "Don't Let's Start" and "(She Was A) Hotel Detective" are most definitely NOT "identical" to the album mixes. "Hotel Detective" has a very different intro, and in fact you might call this mix the "video" mix. The single mix of "Don't Let's Start" is smoother, the drums have more reverb and the lead guitar is turned down in the mix. Listen to the album mix of "Don't Let's Start", especially to the guitar solo. The final note of the guitar solo slides down the scale, and on the single mix you can barely hear it. The single mix is decidedly inferior, and definitely different, to these ears! Ace reporter Ruprecht Jee , wrong again, writes: > >>>>4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, behind the >>>>sharp sitar tones, I turned up the volume very loud and noticed >>>>another song playing. Then my ears were blown off by the start of >>>>If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the song for me? > >At least something like once in a month this sort of question is asked >and people seem to think it's people yelling "HELP!" backwards, or some >sort of nonsense... Actually, that's the answer to a DIFFERENT question, but the one in the FAQ is ambiguous. I'll have to change the question to say "What are They singing at the beginning of "See The Constellation"? And, by the way, for what it's worth, I say "fack". Or "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions list". -- John ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:37:26 -0700 From: willb26@earthlink.net (Will Bryant) Subject: Hello 1993 Sampler CD For Sale I have one copy of the Hello 1993 Sampler CD for sale. This is a different (earlier) item than the 1994 sampler cited on the Hello discography. Tracks are Frank Black "Sir Rockaby"; Nelories "Banana"; Hello The Band "Hello Hello"; The Minus Five "Loser So Supreme"; Brian Dewan "Obedience School"; The Residents "Teddy"; Band of Weeds "Blow, Wind, Blow"; Eugene Chadbourne "Dreamt I Was Young Again"; Flat Old World "Angel's Voice"; and Duplex Planet "That's Halloween!" It comes in a Hello sleeve just like a regular release. There is no catalog number on the sleeve or CD. Minimum bid $6. Please reply by E-mail to: ///////WB willb26@earthlink.net ///////WB willb26@earthlink.net ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:01:31 -0400 Subject: end of See The Constellation >>>>>4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, >and noticed another song playing. Then my ears were blown >off by the start of If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the >song for me?<< >>>Can you say FAQ?<< >Is this a Frequently Asked Question? Wow! I don't remember >this question being asked. And what song is it? > At least something like once in a month this sort of question is asked and people seem to think it's people yelling "HELP!" backwards, or some sort of nonsense...<< No, that's not what he meant. After reading the original post, i went to my cd player promptly to see for myself. (I programmed it on just track 13 so not do go deaf after 3min and 27sec are up) I heard what he meant. I've never heard that before. It reminds me of "Spiralling Shape", with the xylophoney sounds. >>>>>Can you say FAQ? *snip* I'm not sure if I can say FAQ. I guess it's pronounced "fack" but I'm not sure. I call it this, does anyone else?<< I call it "fack." -sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:17:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Two questions Someone posted a list of concert dates for TMBG and Hootie. Lexington, KY was on the list for Oct. 22, but no one around here seems to know anything about it. Not even the arena where they're supposed to play. Can anyone help me? BTW, Lexington is only about 3 hours away from Evansville, IN if that helps any of you poor Hoosiers that are stuck back home!:) Also, is this CD box set thing for sure going to exist or is it just speculation? Just curious! Thanks! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:00:38 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version >The European release of the new TMBG album will be October 4th. A massive >four days before US fans can get it! :) Ha ha - you beauty!!!! There I was worried that Elektra weren't even going to release it in the UK and we end up getting it before the US ?? Wicked!!! (P.S. How do I draw a particularly smug looking "smiley" ?????) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:01:35 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: Ding dong, the witch is still breathing ......just > According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. Errrr, I wouldn't speak too soon. The USA tour is off and the band are back in Britain holding peace talks. The whole thing is getting more news coverage than the Iraq crisis! Isn't it funny - they want to be so much like the Beatles that they've even got in Yoko Ono (aka Patsy Kensit) to come in and help split the band up. Which means that Liam is probably due to get shot in about 10 years time ........ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:05:01 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Stupid question of the year!!! >But, I just realised having never seen >Them live or on video before.... I don't know who is who!!!! *Feeling very >stupid* :-) Which of them wears glasses??? Flansburg??? OK, now this one is easy - John wears glasses, whereas John doesn't wear glasses. There - I'm glad I've sorted that one out! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:33:19 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Factory Showroom i just talked to my friend about the radio station for the semester. he's in charge of the rotation. well it seems they have received the promo for factory showroom. the whole thing. well they're not putting it in rotation so it looks like it will conveniently disappear from the library. cool. well just thought i'd share that with y'all. see ya' ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Listen to the victim abused by the system...." PWEI "Help Help I'm being repressed!" - Dennis in the Holy Grail "OW!" - M.C.I. mci@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:46:19 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: BOBA MAIL: Hootie >Johanna Wrote: > >I don't know >> about the rest of you, but my worst nightmare is that they'll blow up >> and become mainstream, end up on MTV and worst of all TOP 40 RADIO!!! >> > BOBA Wrote : >Honey, don't worry. That won't happen. It's not part of the master >plan. They're probably just doing it so Elektra will let Them make a >video. No, what you're really saying is that it won't happen whilst the *^*%#%#ing Amateurs at Elektra are (not) promoting Them. After all, don't you have to make a video to get on MTV to get famous to justify making a video to get on MTV to get famous? The phrase "vicious circle" springs to mind! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:49:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: FAQs n' stuff About this mailing the FAQ to new people thing...I seem to remember that this was done waaaaaay back on the old gnu.ai.mit.edu list. Do any other ancient list folk remember this for sure? I can't remember, but I think that's how it used to be. I dunno. Oh, and has anyone else had trouble connecting to the FAQ lately? I can never seem to get to it, though I can't remember why at the moment. And about this tmbg shirt thing (I *really* ought to get off the digest and back on the regular list, because this not-being-able-to-quote stuff is getting really annoying, ack)...I'm especially grateful for my TMBG shirts right now because about two weeks ago, a really cool guy saw me wearing a TMBG shirt and we started talking about They stuff. Cut to two weeks later, and I'm going out with him tonight to see Trainspotting. :) So there's my "John and John are gods among mortals!" testimony--they got me a date. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:11:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Concerts Please note: They don't make up the entire tour schedule in advance (I don't think). They announce dates as they get them set. I don't even think they quite know where they'll be at certain times. They know what states they're going to (most of them probably, and a few other countries as well), but I don't think they know exactly when. I remember in the middle of the JH tour, they didn't even have all the dates posted for the shows occuring at the end of the tour. So, if a date isn't posted for your city/state, don't worry yet. I myself am pretty pissed, because they haven't been to Cleveland (rock capital of the world, remember???) since '94. I'd say that's pretty ridiculous, since they _were_ in E-town (wherever that is). RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:32:29 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: Re: Ding dong the witch is dead etc. etc. ad nauseam Imogen Ridgway wrote: > Instead can someone please tell me if we're going to be able > to get hold of this super-marvellous TMBG 2CD box set (that you > allkeep raving about) here in the UK? I really don't know if it will, but if it doesn't I could buy it for you and send it to you for the price of the album and postage. Hey, any fellow They fan is a friend of mine. MAD "Frailty, thy name is woman." -Hamlet ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:42:26 -0400 From: Ralph M DeSarro Organization: Preferred Company Subject: Re: hELLO + OAT Fransburgh wrote: > well, too bad FAQ isnt an anagram... (umm, an anagram of...QAF?) > just to showcase some lingustic knowledge... Thank you for correcting my error. The FAQt is I was involved in the latest issue of Games at the time and that is what came out. I told you I thought backwards and I only said people say I'm a brain. MAD "If everything tastes like chicken, then what in the hell does chicken taste like?!?" Me ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:09:18 -0500 (EST) From: "Absolutley Ben's Mood" Subject: factory showroom... the album came into my school's radio station today so i of course stole it immediately...i don't really keep up with the list so i don't know how much has been said about it... tracks: 1.S-E-X-X-Y 2. Till my head falls off 3. how can i sing like a girl 4. exquisite dead guy 5. Metal detector 6.new York city 7.your own worst enemy 8.XTC vs. adam ant 9. spiriling shape 10. james k. polk 11. pet name 12. i can hear you 13. the bells are ringing okay...well skipping the ones we've all heard before...there are are some neat things on this album...the show songs they have been debuting for almost a year are just produced versions of the same...some improvements are obvious but not extreme...i really like the linnel tracks on this album esp. metal detector which brings back the quick-rock classics of lincoln...new york city is a neat romp by flans through my home town though i don't know if non-new yorkers will dig it...i can hear you is one of the tracks recorded at edison labs in jersey last spring...i'll write more when the album makes a bigger impression on me.... Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:22:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: What do people say? You know, everyone seems to tell us what people say when you mention They Might Be Giants. I've wanted to mention this for a while: I was wearing a They Might Be Giants t-shirt once and some guy said "Hey, that was a really good movie." Well, I was a little shocked 'cause even fewer people know of the movie than the band and I told him that actually it's a t-shirt for a band, but They're named after the movie. He seemed interested and, who knows, maybe he went to a music store and bought an album and got hooked like us. :) -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:41:17 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: RE: Stupid question of the year!!! On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Martin Baker wrote: > >But, I just realised having never seen > >Them live or on video before.... I don't know who is who!!!! *Feeling very > >stupid* :-) Which of them wears glasses??? Flansburg??? > > OK, now this one is easy - John wears glasses, whereas John doesn't wear > glasses. > > There - I'm glad I've sorted that one out! Um, actually, they both wear glasses. And Flansburgh is spelled "Flansburgh". S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music World. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: hELLO From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:03:59 EDT On Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:10:54 -0700 sgleave@btigate.com writes: >>Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be >>automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems >>to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ >>to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? >> >>m@t > > I'd just like to add a vote in favour of this Idea. > Aneurin Gray The basic problem here being that the FAQ happens to be copyrighted. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:01:02 +0000 From: John Emmons Subject: marriage who is getting married Flansberg or Linnel? SO They is only opening for Hootie, they don't get the same time on stage, do they? Some artists travel together and do their sets seperately...any info on that?? Thanks in advance, John ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: hELLO Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:31:36 -0500 (EST) > > The basic problem here being that the FAQ happens to be copyrighted. > Gosh Ruprecht, could you possibly have been any more rude about it? :-) John Relph specifically says that the document may be distributed electronically "and otherwise" so long as the full copyright notice remains attached. Permission from the author is needed to publish in any (other) form, but as he says, "Just ask." In any event, he has put it on the WWW, and *links* to the FAQ (links being the topic of the most recent conversation) are not under copyright and may be distributed as freely as the wind... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:32:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Box Set > >What they want to do is force everyone who wants to buy the 18 new songs >to buy all the other songs they already have, thus fueling the evil >capitalistic machine. I personally think this a very evil plot, but I >_could_ be wrong. *Please* tell me you're being sarcastic. None of this "evil capitalistic machine", please. :) Besides, all of the already released tracks have been digitally remastered; that's for all you audiophiles out there who want the absolute best sound from your CDs. >>> 73 song, 2-CD box set > >Does anyone else find this unlikely? Granted, TMBG songs are often short, >but 73 songs on 2 CD's? A CD can only hold 74 minutes max. First off: CDs can hold 80 minutes, possibly more. (It's minidiscs that can only hold 74 minutes.) I know because I have CDs that are 80 minutes long. That's 160 minutes total. TMBG and Lincoln are each about 40 minutes, and Misc T is about 35, so that's 115, leaving 45 minutes for the unreleased 18 songs. > has it actually been confirmed that there will be the 3 bar/none >albums included in the set? I thought this was just rampant speculation. No, it's confirmed. 100% official, from the guy who produced both Factory Showroom and the Box Set. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: FAQs n' stuff Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:48:10 -0500 (EST) > > About this mailing the FAQ to new people thing...I seem to remember that > this was done waaaaaay back on the old gnu.ai.mit.edu list. Do any other > ancient list folk remember this for sure? I can't remember, but I think > that's how it used to be. I dunno. Oh, and has anyone else had trouble > connecting to the FAQ lately? I can never seem to get to it, though I > can't remember why at the moment. > That sounds familiar, but I'm not sure because it would have been well after I subscribed. Although I think I did have to resubscribe when the list became automated and digested. In other words, I don't know and so I should shut up... > (I *really* ought to get off the digest > and back on the regular list, because this not-being-able-to-quote stuff > is getting really annoying, ack)... I'll say... insta-list rules! :-) > So there's my "John and John are gods among mortals!" testimony--they got > me a date. :) > That's nothing - they once got half the list members married!! m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: end of See The Constellation Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:00:21 -0500 (EST) > John Relph writes: >>4. In Apollo 18's See The Constellation, at the very end, >>and noticed another song playing. Then my ears were blown >>off by the start of If I Wasn't Shy! Can someone identify the >>song for me? > >Is this a Frequently Asked Question? Wow! I don't remember >this question being asked. And what song is it? > Well, it might be more of an Occasionally Asked Question. It has come up a handful of times, but the only responses it ever seems to generate are of the "Hey, I never noticed that before!" variety. At any rate, I don't believe it's a recognizable song per se, just a little vamping tacked onto the end. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:37:25 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: READ! Now wait, i though you were supposed to read the contents of the messages that are sent to you. Now, a few of you may remember my post about educational tmbg songs. If not, here it is... > Well today a buncho neat things happened. I was is History, and we were > going over the various presidental elections. I guess you can figger out > what happened. Then in science, we had a weird pop quiz thingee. One > question was, "How far away is the sun?" Another was "List as many mammals > and charataristics you can". I absolutley couldn't believe it. My education > was enhanced by TMBG 3 times in one day! I wish a had art, maybe we would > have studied James Ensor. > My relivant question is... > > Are there any other educational songs by TMBG? Istanbul is sorta but are > there any others I can't think of? 5 people have sent me responses saying, "James K. Polk." Now what the F*** do you think I meant by "I was is History, and we were going over the various presidental elections. I guess you can figger out what happened." C'mon people even Alannis would know that responding to this with James K. Polk is ironic! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:44:45 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: New Box Set > >Since I only have Lincoln on vinyl, I'm more inclined than most to >buy the upcoming boxed set. > You are sad you have lincoln on vinyl? what the hell? I'd trade my nifty CD for a vinyl anyday. vinyl is great! it alowws hands on skipping! It's great! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== * * * * * * * ( ( ( ( ( ( ============== ^ | | | Double stuff Oreo has become diseased *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:59:36 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: RE: Stupid question of the year!!! >Um, actually, they both wear glasses. And Flansburgh is spelled >"Flansburgh". No comment. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ============== \ / \ / ___|___ /______\ / \ / \ ============== ^ | | | Mutant in a Sextuple stuff Oreo *TMBG*SIMPSONS*STARWARS*EV*XTC*MONOPUFF* "Hey... Cookies!" -Milk ad ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 23:07:17 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: New Box Set Why's it called a box set if there's only 2 cd's? john drauss ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Texas Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 23:34:14 -0500 Someone said... >I live in texas, and they never come around here...i think >they did a while back, i didn't get a chance to go since it was a long >time ago, like 3 years, and i couldn't go where they were >playing. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!! At least I got to see them in Maryland... -Justin "SAVE THE BAY!" Smith, stuck in Longview, Texas ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 00:43:20 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 In reference to the question, Why are there lyrics in Road Movie To Berlin that aren't sung on the album? John Flansburgh once said "I got the idea to do that from a Talking Heads song, I think it was Remain in Light. There's a whole verse that gets cut off on the record but they include it when they play it live and I thought it was an interesting thing to do." nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-251 ******************************