Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-252 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 252 Sunday, 15 September 1996 Today's Topics: Shameless plug RE: READ! Re: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 cub,flans Box Set Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: BOBA MAIL: Hootie Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 Re: HAMMER DOWN Re: bells n stuff Re: 2 CDs Personal Web Sites.... Re: bells n stuff + Oasis + UWA RE: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Request, important to me Re: hELLO Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 03:46:20 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Shameless plug Hi! There's a brand new story which can be found under thoughts and ideas at Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour, at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy. I think you'll like it, and while you're there read the other three. And once you've done that let me know what you think. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 96 09:34:49 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: READ! >5 people have sent me responses saying, "James K. Polk." Now what the F*** >do you think I meant by > "I was is History, and we were going over the various presidental >elections. I guess you can figger out what happened." Damn, and I thought he was a Belgian Painter! (I'm joking OK!) At least I can claim ignorance by saying that I'm not from the USA! Still, it would have helped if I'd screwed my head on that morning and thought about it. >> >But, I just realised having never seen >> >Them live or on video before.... I don't know who is who!!!! *Feeling very >> >stupid* :-) Which of them wears glasses??? Flansburg??? >> >>On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Martin Baker wrote: >> >> OK, now this one is easy - John wears glasses, whereas John doesn't wear >> glasses. >> >> There - I'm glad I've sorted that one out! >Um, actually, they both wear glasses. And Flansburgh is spelled >"Flansburgh". Do they ? D'you know I've never seen a picture of (other) John wearing glasses! Are there any on the Web I can gawp at ? As for my mistakes ....... Well yesterday *WAS* Friday 13th! I knew I should've stayed in bed. ------------------------------ Date: 14 Sep 1996 13:16:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version Organization: private site running a Cray 2000Mhz supercomputer On 13.09.96, Mr_Badger@msn.com wrote: > >The European release of the new TMBG album will be October 4th. A massive > >four days before US fans can get it! :) > Ha ha - you beauty!!!! > There I was worried that Elektra weren't even going to release it in the UK > and we end up getting it before the US ?? Wicked!!! Yet no mention of a single... _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 08:50:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-250 On Sat, 14 Sep 1996 PACQUISTO@aol.com wrote: > In reference to the question, Why are there lyrics in Road Movie To Berlin > that aren't sung on the album? > John Flansburgh once said "I got the idea to do that from a Talking Heads > song, I think it was Remain in Light. There's a whole verse that gets cut > off on the record but they include it when they play it live and I thought > it was an interesting thing to do." well, he's the answer from the holiday info club (since i haven't gotten once since) "there were a bunch of alternate lyrics written, but it didn't seem like the song should be that long." there you have it. sarah, who is bouncin round the room cause she now has her phish ticket. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: cub,flans Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 11:52:38 -0400 (EDT) I got a tape of Flans on the Vince Scelsa show recently and it was a Monopuff interview. Interestingly at the end he played the Factory Showroom version of New York City. He said it was illegal and if Elecktra found out who wknows what'd happen, but I didn't mind! So after hearing this cool song (with church bell background!) I thought it was better than Metal Detector and SEXXY that I've heard from the web. So then as I went to the music store I looked for Cub. What do I find but their album Come Out Come Out used for $7.99. This includes New York City on it as well as some other cool songs! They also did a cover of Vacation by the Go Go's! Cub had another album with 24 songs on it for $11.99 too. Maybge I'll get that next time. n the tape, Flans said he was so enthralled by the song he drove to the radio station to find the DJ and look thru the bins to see what Cub albums there were. He said he sat down for hours listening to the songs and especially to NYC over and over again. He couldn't understand some of the lines so he said he changed a few or added some lines, so it is a little different although I'm not sure exactly which lines they were. I think the one about Dylan was changed. Any other NYC's to get, I got the Monopuff bootleg version, the Factory Showroom, TMBG version and the original Cub version. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 11:55:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Box Set > >> I remember my friend saying that, yes, the box set will definitely have TMBG, >> Lincoln, and some songs from Misc. T. And at the very end are 18 various >> TMBOddities... Old D-A-S introductions, strange versions of old songs, and >> the like. >Old DAS versions might be neat, but if it's 4-CDs I konw it'll be too >pricy. It's two CDs...I don't actually know, but I would assume TMBG and Lincoln on one, and Misc T and the outtakes on the other. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 10:07:14 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 > In the US, Elektra thru Warner reissued at least the first album >on CD. It was reissued in 1990, I think, by Elektra with somewhat >different packaging than the Bar/None CD from 1987. The booklet >on the 1990 version is a lighter shade of pink, has a different font >inside, a different layout on the back card, and the CD itself lists the >tracks in a rounded fashion on the CD face, while the 1987 version >has no tracks listed there, only four of the snowmen, equally spaced. > I've never seen an Elektra release of the Pink album. My cd has *5* snowmen spaced evenly and no track listing on the cd itself...I bought my copy well after 1990. Are there only going to be 13 songs on Factory Showroom?? I'm dissappointed already. There are a lot of songs that They've played live that aren't on there...like rat patrol for one...and all sorts of other things. Geesh, what are They coming to? http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ Nathan Todd/aka Linnel ntodd@emba.uvm.edu nathan@tmbg.org ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ "someTimes i feel like being wispy, and once in a while i feel like being dry" "everyThing is gonna burn, we'll all Take Turns, i'll get mine Too" the PiXies\They Might be GIANTs ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 13:42:32 -0400 Subject: Re: BOBA MAIL: Hootie >> Honey, don't worry. That won't happen. It's not part of the master plan. They're probably just doing it so Elektra will let Them make a video. << Ah, but you see...Know One Knows Their Plan... -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 14:13:09 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 On Sat, 14 Sep 1996 ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu wrote: > > > > In the US, Elektra thru Warner reissued at least the first album > >on CD. It was reissued in 1990, I think, by Elektra with somewhat > >different packaging than the Bar/None CD from 1987. The booklet > >on the 1990 version is a lighter shade of pink, has a different font > >inside, a different layout on the back card, and the CD itself lists the > >tracks in a rounded fashion on the CD face, while the 1987 version > >has no tracks listed there, only four of the snowmen, equally spaced. > > > I've never seen an Elektra release of the Pink album. My cd has *5* snowmen > spaced evenly and no track listing on the cd itself...I bought my copy well > after 1990. > Actually, you're right: the 1987 Bar/None CD of the Pink album does have 5 snowmen. I'm not sure why I said it had 4. However it is a 1987 issue, and there is a 1990 Elektra issue packaged as I described. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Jacqueline -- BlackCat Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 > > Actually, you're right: the 1987 Bar/None CD of the Pink album > does have 5 snowmen. I'm not sure why I said it had 4. However it is a > 1987 issue, and there is a 1990 Elektra issue packaged as I described. > > Mike That's what mine is, except on mine the year is 1986, I can't find anywhere where it says 1987. Also, it is Restless / Bar/None instead of just Restless, but maybe that's what you meant. Jacqueline ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 16:20:52 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Jacqueline -- BlackCat wrote: > > > > Actually, you're right: the 1987 Bar/None CD of the Pink album > > does have 5 snowmen. I'm not sure why I said it had 4. However it is a > > 1987 issue, and there is a 1990 Elektra issue packaged as I described. > > > > Mike > > That's what mine is, except on mine the year is 1986, I can't find > anywhere where it says 1987. Also, it is Restless / Bar/None instead of > just Restless, but maybe that's what you meant. > Jacqueline I think you'll find that it says 1987 on the CD face itself...at least, I HOPE you will. :) Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 16:51:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Jacqueline -- BlackCat wrote: > > > > Actually, you're right: the 1987 Bar/None CD of the Pink album > > does have 5 snowmen. I'm not sure why I said it had 4. However it is a > > 1987 issue, and there is a 1990 Elektra issue packaged as I described. > > > > Mike > > That's what mine is, except on mine the year is 1986, I can't find > anywhere where it says 1987. Also, it is Restless / Bar/None instead of > just Restless, but maybe that's what you meant. well, mine has 1986 on the back, but on the cd itself it says 1987. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 13:42:22 -0700 (PDT) From: Jacqueline -- BlackCat Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-251 > I think you'll find that it says 1987 on the CD face itself...at > least, I HOPE you will. :) > > Mike You're right! I didn't look there, since it was in the cd player. I'm glad you told me to look there or i would have thought something funny was going on. Jacqueline ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 17:49:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: HAMMER DOWN Ah. I was going to send a message saying it wasn't a personal attack on anyone. And, I can see why you don't know where I'm coming from. Your message was just a jumping-off point for my arguments. My whole message is not relevant to your message, although they have to do with the same topic. I personally do not think I misunderstood you. I think I know exactly what you're talking about and that you still don't have any justification for it. However, if you don't want to 'elaborate' to the list, I'd appreciate it if you'd elaborate privately to me (that is, if you're interested in elaborating at all). I'm not judging you or vilifying (ok, so it's not totally appropriate in this context, but it looks important) you or anything. I think your comment about them potentially becoming pompus musicians is completely unfounded. Where do you get this from? How do you know this? I have read countless articles where They state that they do not have the goal of becoming popular. They do not want to make more money if it involves compromising themselves. They would not trade their career for any band's who was in the top 40. They were just happy when they could quit their jobs (I think right after Lincoln). Does this sound like a band that wants to 'go mainstream' and make money? Another part of your message relies on the fact that the Johns are only Human. And, a message after yours relies on the fact that 'human nature' dictates that everyone has a strong desire to make more money. Besides the fact that I think the idea of human nature is BS, I can prove that it is irrelevant even if it does exist. How many times have we seen people that don't want a ton of money, that don't even want very much money at all? There are things that are more important than money, and some people will forego money for those things. Integrity (especially artistic) is often one of them. John and John are not greedy b**tards who want to make lots of money off of their fans. If they were, they would have done it already.. It would be awfully strange for them to just randomly say 'Gee, let's sell out now,' after so many years of being true to themselves. I'm sure they would've been tempted to do it long before now. In conclusion, you have no case as of yet. If you can give me some valid reasons or arguments, I might agree with you. If not, do some research, read some articles or something. Don't just pick something random that goes against everything the Johns have ever said or done (because selling out certainly does). You cannot change my opinion without a logical progression of ideas. All you have now is an idea. I assume you wanted to change people's minds, or else you wouldn't have said anything. So, go ahead, make me a believer. Thanks. Respectfully yours, RS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:42:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: bells n stuff To me, this song sounds like it's describing church. This is because it sort of fits, and because I couldn't think of any other bells besides school bells, door bells, fire alarms, and sleigh bells, and none of those fit. With church, people are walking towards it in a trance, like zombies (really, watch people walk to church on sunday). And, at church, the people find out the simple key to happiness, and a voice tells them to do things a different way. However, I'm not sure how to fit in the part about disorganization, because church doesn't really tell you that you're disorganized. Also, church bells are a lot less sudden that these bells seem to be. People plan to go to church, they don't just hear the bells and suddenly remember. That sounds more like school bells, but the rest of the song doesn't fit into the school bells theory. Can anyone think of any other bells? RS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 20:09:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: 2 CDs I know this horse has already been beaten to death, but I just wanted to point something out. Taking TMBG, Lincoln, Misc-T, and Flood, we have: TMBG: 38.39 Linc: 39.42 Misc: 37.55 Floo: 43.25 ----- 158.61 Just under 160 minutes (which is 2 times the 80 minutes most people report as the maximum length of a CD). Also, as you can see, most of their older stuff is shorter than their newer stuff, and most of their unreleased stuff is shorter than their released stuff, so I don't think they even had to worry about space. I know we already have official word that it is a 2 CD set, I just wanted to show you that there was no mystery in the way they accomplished this. RS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 22:17:15 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Personal Web Sites.... Hello Listies Across the Fruited Plain BlueDawg, friendly (or not, depending on how I feel) web serf here. I'm working on the tmbg.org site, and am going through the personal links section. I find that many of the people listed there aren't on the list, and many of you who are on the list aren't on there. If you have a web page that is unlisted, or if you've changed your URL (Ruprecht...like four times), please just drop me a note, and I'll add or modify your link. Thanks S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music World. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: bells n stuff + Oasis + UWA From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 22:03:19 EDT On Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:42:13 -0400 (EDT) Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> writes: >Can anyone think of >any >other bells? As odd as it sounds, I read the lyrics to this song and I was instantly thinking "Pavlov" nevermind, they wouldn't do it twice, but then there is the Snowball in Hell/Sleeping in the Flowers thing... On Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:01:35 UT "Martin Baker" writes: > >> According to a most reliable source, Oasis has officially broken up. >Errrr, I wouldn't speak too soon. The USA tour is off and the band are >back in >Britain holding peace talks. The whole thing is getting more news >coverage >than the Iraq crisis! I'd like to remind everyone of the first time they broke up back during the first album tour, it was after a concert in Kalamazoo Michigan. But then, the second album is only proof of the value of publicity stunts. UWA (UnWanted Advert): I just added a new thing to my web site at http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ but since I don't particularly feel like having the FBI start up a file on me, there is no link to it from my homepage, yet... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:42:40 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: European release date "Factory Showroom" earlier than US version I've been looking for an excuse to fly to Germany. Andreas ---------- The European release of the new TMBG album will be October 4th. A massive four days before US fans can get it! :) -- -- Daniel Rodrigues Parreira amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira "parreira@tmbg.org" the netherlands pgp key on request europe ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 23:02:22 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: Request, important to me First, I deeply apologize for this being blatantly non-TMBG related, and totally off any topic. However, the delete key doesn't require that much effort, now does it? My request -- if anyone has the system resources and the site to devote to a MUSE, please reply to this in private e-mail. This may seem trivial to most, but its *very* important to me that this MUSE finds a site it can live on. "Maybe" requests will also be welcome. Anything that could help my little crusade to find a site :) And finally -- whatever you do, don't reply to this list-wide, for any reason (be it to flame me or such. If this list was much bigger I woudln't be sending this blantatly off topic a message) Thanks muchly. And to add a little TMBG flavor: I'm impatiently awaiting new the album. :) ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 18:29:08 -0700 Subject: Re: hELLO >>>Every so often, I start mumbling on the list that the FAQ should be >>>automatically mailed to every new subscriber, but nobody ever seems >>>to think it's a good idea. Your idea of sending pointers to the FAQ >>>to new subscribers seems valid enough - maybe it'll catch on...? >>> >>>m@t >> >> I'd just like to add a vote in favour of this Idea. >> Aneurin Gray > >The basic problem here being that the FAQ happens to be copyrighted. > I wasn't voting in favour of _sending_ the FAQ, just sending _addresses_ for the FAQ. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-252 ******************************