Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-255 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 255 Wednesday, 18 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tom servo singsTMBG Re: tom servo singsTMBG Duplicates RE: [Fwd: Showroom Announcements!] RE: RE: Re: "Misc T" - "Don't Let's Start" Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff ruprecht? Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff They Might Be Exploited Official Page?? Re: rockin the the bottom line in nyc?!?! (and more of course) Re: Okay, so information was skewed....and other tidbits. MRL Re: Official Page?? Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff (fwd) Polk and XTC v. Adam Ant Re: ruprecht? bye! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 07:11:15 -0700 From: Linda Cowan Subject: Re: tom servo singsTMBG Brooksie2@aol.com wrote: > > > A couple of my TMBG loving friends were recently at the big convention > thingy, and they reported back that Kevin Murphy likes TMBG. So, maybe... > > Love, > Brooks.Oooh, you went to Conventicon and met Kevin Murphy. I am jealous. Well, anyways just checking up on the list before school. i'm wearing my TMBG shirt. See you all later. Trillian (or Blink) ------------------------------ Date: 17 Sep 1996 08:40:14 -0400 From: bilinmel@netnitco.net (Linda Cowan) Organization: TMBG Gateway Subject: Re: tom servo singsTMBG Brooksie2@aol.com wrote: > > > A couple of my TMBG loving friends were recently at the big convention > thingy, and they reported back that Kevin Murphy likes TMBG. So, maybe... > > Love, > Brooks.Oooh, you went to Conventicon and met Kevin Murphy. I am jealous. Well, anyways just checking up on the list before school. i'm wearing my TMBG shirt. See you all later. Trillian (or Blink) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Duplicates Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:47:37 -0400 (EDT) Sorry about the duplicates guys. I'm working on some software enhancements and they had some interesting side effects. I hope to have it all worked out by the end of the day. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 09:05:41 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: [Fwd: Showroom Announcements!] >Personally, I'm glad to see them finally getting some real support from >their label, and that Elektra is smart enough to recognize that they are >established but underexposed and therefore should not be meddled with, >only promoted. Err, what, I must have missed Ruprechts original message (I'm gonna have to back search thru my mail). You just included "Elektra" and "support" in the same sentence. Is today April Fools day ? Or have Elektra just employed someone who knows something about music ? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 10:01:27 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: On 16 September 1996 18:17 Elitza Nicolaou wrote : > Hmmm, yes, I'd like to support that argument as well. A short and concise critique - very much homing in on the main point of the debate I feel. ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:06:42 PST Subject: RE: > Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 10:01:27 UT > From: "Martin Baker" > To: "Elitza Nicolaou" > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: RE: > Reply-to: "Martin Baker" > > On 16 September 1996 18:17 Elitza Nicolaou wrote : > > > > > Hmmm, yes, I'd like to support that argument as well. A short and concise > critique - very much homing in on the main point of the debate I feel. > > Biting!!!!! Moggy ------------------------------ Date: 17 Sep 1996 12:18:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: "Misc T" - "Don't Let's Start" Organization: puppet head Torsten Reimer <101534.3431@CompuServe.COM> wrote: > In Germany "Misc T" also was issued as "Don't Let's Start". I can't tell > about the artwork but it was published by Rough Trade Records - just like > "Pink" and "Lincoln". As far as I know there are no more differences between > "Misc T" and it's European version despite the fact that "Lady Is A Tramp" > is shorter than the original version (about 1:20), but I'm not sure about > this. Fact is that you can still buy this version in Germany (and only this > one). "Lady is a tramp" is exactly the same as on "Misc T" as on "DLS". "DLS" was released by two different companies in Europe: CD: 1989 UK/FR One Little Indian TPLP14CD LP: 1989 UK/FR One Little Indian TPLP14 CD: 1989 WG Rough Trade RTDCD128 (CD1-313) (Taken from John Relph's TMBG discography). _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 10:40:27 -0500 (CDT) > > > > Hmmm, yes, I'd like to support that argument as well. A short and concise > critique - very much homing in on the main point of the debate I feel. I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree. Lately I've been persuaded to take the opposite viewpoint, and I'm afraid that I just can't agree with either of you. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:34:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff Hellooo, Ben or Been is back and ready to write about TMBG!!! I have my "opinions" of the Mono Puff release (at which I will hint without a big grin), and I will share them later with those interested. I now have a needle for my turntable, so I can now listen to the 1959 version of "Why Does the Sun Shine?" anytime I want. Has anyone noticed on his/her tape of _Lincoln_ that a track is missing? It's on the first side--they like forgot to list "Mr. Me" or something. Phillip from Hello wrote to tell me that the autographed lyric book for this year's Hello subscription *will* come, only Mr. Flansburgh's been awfully busy with his music and tours and life. Let's all rewind the beginning of the new album, as we can on the soundtrack to _X-Files_. For those of you who have the album and don't know, Nick Cave and the Angry Three want you to remember that "0" is also a number--which you can discover by pushing your CD player's rewind button on the very first track. New song-hiding technology!!! Soul Coughing's new album sounds too commercialized to me, but the Hello release is kinda fresh for them--instrumental. Spooky. Eat some Squirrel Nut Zippers, or buy their album. You won't regret it. I'll chat more later--I think I've lots to say!!! Ever so happy to return, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: TangP@aol.com Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 15:23:42 -0400 Subject: Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff >>>Let's all rewind the beginning of the new album, as we can on the soundtrack to _X-Files_. For those of you who have the album and don't know, Nick Cave and the Angry Three want you to remember that "0" is also a number--which you can discover by pushing your CD player's rewind button on the very first track. New song-hiding technology!!!<<< That's the Dirty Three....I'd hate to see such a good band not get name checked.... Ummm...how incredibly non-TMBG, sorry. Dammit, I'm looking forward to the new album! Yeah. Brent http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~brp3/ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: ruprecht? Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 14:28:00 P Is ruprecht's crazy home page still up? I remember last year, It wouldn't open for me. server was down or something. What is it's adress? Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:34:23 -0400 Subject: Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff << Let's all rewind the beginning of the new album, as we can on the soundtrack to _X-Files_. For those of you who have the album and don't know, Nick Cave and the Angry Three want you to remember that "0" is also a number--which you can discover by pushing your CD player's rewind button on the very first track. New song-hiding technology!!! >> I only have a crappy portable cd player, and the rewind button only goes to the beginning of the next (or previous) song--will I, too be able to enjoy the hidden track (I hope, I hope!)? Kay, whose cd player _does_ play the mini-cds while many others won't, so there's something to be said for cheapness! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:36:40 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: They Might Be Exploited THis is just a TMBG experience. Today in my speech class, my teacher was writing on the board, and she had juxtaposed the words "they might be". This, for some odd reason, brought back a memory from Lollapalooza 94. Speaking of which, They seem like a very potential band for this year's tour. Anyway, this was back before I was a fan of TMBG, and I was listening to this show that was going on underneath a tent. People would play ridiculous games and do ridiculous things in order to win backstage passes to the event. Anyway, one guy was asked something along the lines of "Okay, you're going out on a blind date. What band name best describes your feelings/hopes about the girl". Several people in the audience shouted out "clever" answers, the only one of which I can remember is "Breeders" (Don't ask). So, the guy answers the question with "They Might Be Giants" and the crowd went wild. Just a story's all. john kong ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:30:24 -0500 From: Jeff Gustafson Organization: They Might Be Giants Subject: Official Page?? Any word on the official tmbg page? Its been in the works forever. Why the long wait? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:57:27 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: rockin the the bottom line in nyc?!?! (and more of course) *snip* the intro to exquisite dead guy will make any They fan weak at the knees *snip* Thank god someone agrees. I had to go through my first FS withdrawl period today as I went to school. And all that I could think of all day was BABABABABADABA BABABABABABADABA etc.. I have a pondering, At the hatch shell show, they were completly done with recording FS, and yet James K polk was sung with the LA's! Hmmmm ___ _____ .'/,-Y" "~-. l.Y ^. /\ _\_ i ___/" "\ | /" "\ o ! l ] o !__./ ________________ \ _ _ \.___./ "~\ /Robert L Grabill\ X \/ \ ___./ / gonk@valley.net \ \ ___. _..--~~" ~`-. / \ ` Z,-- / \ / \ \__. ( / ______) / *STUFF ROB LIKES* \ \ l /-----~~" / / \ Y \ / / \ | "x______.^ / \ | \ / www.dragonfire.net/~RobNg \ j Y ---------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 23:14:40 -0700 Subject: Re: Okay, so information was skewed....and other tidbits. >I have PointCast on my computer, and it told me that no, Oasis is not > breaking up. > >For all those that I told the opposite, I'm wrong. It was my fault, > I'm a big dummy. > >Please, don't shoot. > >In the meantime, let's all give a big cheer for Tupac, who is doing > well in the Las Vegas Memorial Hospital. > >shep >Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com I'm not all that great at picking up sarcasm, and the lack of vocal tonation over e-mail doesn't help my perception much, so sorry about this message if you were kidding in that last paragraph. According to my news, Tupac is dead now. I just though someone might like to know. Alright, so I knew no one cared. Really I just wanted an excuse to send another message to the list. Oh well, sobeit. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 07:31:56 +0005 Subject: MRL If you sent me a tape to dub Modern Rock Live, please be aware that you will not receive it back unless you have sent me a) another bootleg, b) money or c) a self addressed stamped envelope. if you didn't, don't expect to get your tape until you send me one of the above. Out of the four I've received two have not included a SASE, but I'm feeling nice and they sent something else. Doug ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Official Page?? Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:44:45 -0400 (EDT) > Any word on the official tmbg page? Its been in the works forever. Why > the long wait? No. Last month I was told 'we plan to put it up next week', next week came and went, no site. In fact, no one has talked to me at all about it since. If I get a few spare moments this week I'll make some phone calls. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff (fwd) Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:44:16 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" > That's the Dirty Three....I'd hate to see such a good band not get name > checked.... > > Ummm...how incredibly non-TMBG, sorry. Dammit, I'm looking forward to the > new album! Yeah. > > Brent > http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~brp3/ just to be icky, are you talking about tmbg, or dirty three's new album here? tamara. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:48:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Polk and XTC v. Adam Ant Two questions about the new album. First, is James K. Polk just going to be a re-recording of the Polk on the Istanbul album? Second, is the XTC in "XTC vs. Adam Ant" the band XTC? This definately sounds like a good album. At first I was kind of disappointed that it was only 13 songs, but in retrospect, it seems like that isn't such a bad thing. For example, on John Henry, I would say that even though there are 20 sonds, not all of them rank as great TMBG songs in my opinion. And with other albums, such as Flood, stuff like Minimum Wage was cool and I love it, but its kind of stretching it to count it as a full song. The only other song besides S-E-X-X-Y I have heard on the album is "Why Can't I Sing Like A Girl" when I heard Them at the Fairfax Fair gig in June and thought it was also a great song. If those two songs are any reflection of the quality of the rest of the songs, this should be a great album. As far as TMBG going mainstream (or something like the same), first I don't think that is what they are doing. I would say that each of their albums has had its own unique style, and I'd say that Factory Showroom should be an improvement over John Henry. I personally like TMBG a lot, and I think they deserve to get more recognition and respect from MTV, radio stations, etc. As the guy from Elektra said, TMBG makes good music, and lots of people like good music. I don't like TMBG simply because almost everyone else I know doesn't like them. I would love to be able to play Factory Showroom for them and have them say "Hey...TMBG aren't that bad after all.". Justin Higgins - Terraflopping "Hydrogen Jukebox" ------------------------------ Subject: Re: ruprecht? From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:09:55 EDT On Tue, 17 Sep 96 14:28:00 P "Rensink, Brenden BHS" writes: > >Is ruprecht's crazy home page still up? I remember last year, It >wouldn't >open for me. server was down or something. >What is it's adress? > Check the ever-loving .sig (at least someone still likes me[the .sig, I mean the .sig]) for the (semi-)new address at the new-old server. Now if that wasn't cryptic, I don't know what is. In regards to tmbg, you couldn't pay me to listen to their full-lengths. Although you can find my ridiculously under-updated and over extravagated tmbg page at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ ------------------------------ From: stevie@pop.interport.net Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:55:43 -0400 (EDT) Subject: bye! Sorry, gang, I'm signing off the list for awhile. Don't fret, Alex, I will send you the hat etc etc, I'm just way to busy these days. Don't miss my obnoxious comments too much. stevie. "REBOOT!" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-255 ******************************