Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-256 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 256 Thursday, 19 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re:Road Movie British Release Date BOBA MAIL: Singing Saw, 2 PAC Release dates (Fwd) yo' BOBA mail :Twistin' FW: Okay, so information was skewed....and other tidbits. Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff ALACHUA Arrrgggghhhh!! Re: Stuff The Sucking Action of Mono Puff, and The Death of 2Pac Monopuff Re: Polk and XTX v. Adam Ant Re: The Sucking Action of Mono Puff Ft. Wayne show life is good - tmbg on radio Another useless message Of a Mistake, Tupac and Factory Showroom, but stupid anyway... TMBG albums sited Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 02:13:28 -0400 From: Matthew Jason NeSmith Subject: Re:Road Movie At 12:43 AM 9/14/96 -0400, nick wrote: >In reference to the question, Why are there lyrics in Road Movie To Berlin >that aren't sung on the album? >John Flansburgh once said "I got the idea to do that from a Talking Heads >song, I think it was Remain in Light. There's a whole verse that gets cut >off on the record but they include it when they play it live and I thought >it was an interesting thing to do." I'm not sure, but I think the song he's referring to is "Life During Wartime" on Fear of Music. But I KNOW that if someone sings, writes or even concieves of a lyrical or musical idea it is automatically copyrighted material. Jason nummer drei /////////////////////GOOD MUSIC CHEAP\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ##_####_## from | ## /@ /@ # ___________ | # ,___\___, < Lookit Meee! ) | # \+++++/ Records | ----~| |~---- | All LP length cassettes!! $5 plus shipping | write to Jason Nesmith 1226 Stoneybrook Dr. SE | Atlanta, GA 30316 --or-- | email jnesmith@mindspring.com for details visit the Orange Hat cyberhose page!! www.mindspring.com/~jnesmith ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:05:23 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: British Release Date Howdy! Someone suggested that the UK release date was to be earlier than the US one. I can't remember now what date was mentioned (the fourth, maybe?), but I checked on it straight after reading the post and it would mean that the album was released on a Friday. This isn't very likely, since every other album under the sun is released on a Monday (to maximise chart position the next week). Soooooo... could whoever posted the date explain where they got it from, because I think they may be mistaken. Although it'd be great if it were true, 'cause for once we Brits could make the Americans feel jealous - I'm really sick of people complaining that they 'only' get to see TMBG fifteen times a year. Mark ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:41:56 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Singing Saw, 2 PAC Bobby G writes: > I have a pondering, At the hatch shell show, they were completly done with > recording FS, and yet James K polk was sung with the LA's! Hmmmm > They could never pay the singing saw enough to do live shows. He's such a bastard. Trillian writes: > Um, okay I thought Tupac died. Not that I care but just a note. The man did die last Friday of complications. Gotta take off see ya later!! Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Gimme Some Mail" - ME boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Release dates Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:36:30 -0400 (EDT) > Howdy! > > Someone suggested that the UK release date was to be earlier than > the US one. I can't remember now what date was mentioned (the fourth, > maybe?), but I checked on it straight after reading the post and it would > mean that the album was released on a Friday. This isn't very likely, > since every other album under the sun is released on a Monday (to maximise > chart position the next week). Soooooo... could whoever posted the date > explain where they got it from, because I think they may be mistaken. > Although it'd be great if it were true, 'cause for once we Brits could > make the Americans feel jealous - I'm really sick of people complaining > that they 'only' get to see TMBG fifteen times a year. More than likely it'd be Monday. I've never heard of one specific album being released on a different day of the week than the normal date for that country. Stores get large shipments of CDs and I don't think they can get them any other day. In America, all new CDs come out on Tuesdays so you will at least have a leg up on us for at least 1 day. I wonder when you'll get SEXXY? Maybe Sept 23? The 24th s a Tuesday which is the release date here. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:47:11 EST Subject: (Fwd) yo' BOBA mail :Twistin' This was so hilarious I had to send it here Twisting in jive: She set yo' goldfish free And now she's sighin' Blew out yo' pilot light And made some wish She duzn't gots'ta gots' Ha' dB's reco'd back now But dere's not some lot uh din's Dat she'll snatch back (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again Slowly twistin' (Twistin') In de wind (Twistin') Twistin' twistin' (Twistin') In de wind She's not yo' satellite She duzn't miss ya' So turn off yo' smoke machine And Marshall stack She duzn't gots'ta gots' Ha' You'sng Fresh Fellows tape back now But dere's not some lot uh din's Dat she'll snatch back (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again Slowly twistin' (Twistin') In de wind (Twistin') Twistin' twistin' (Twistin') In de wind (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again (She wants's) She be hankerin' aftah see ya' again Slowly twistin' (Twistin') In de wind (Twistin') Twistin' twistin' (Twistin') In de wind -Matdew Ondrey "Gimme Some Mail" - ME boba@tmbg.o'g http, dig dis://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ========= greetin' JIBE at da Department uh Computa' Science, University uh Zurich -Matthew Ondrey "Gimme Some Mail" - ME boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 06:27:58 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Okay, so information was skewed....and other tidbits. >In the meantime, let's all give a big cheer for Tupac, who is doing > well in the Las Vegas Memorial Hospital. > >shep >Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com I'm not all that great at picking up sarcasm, and the lack of vocal tonation over e-mail doesn't help my perception much, so sorry about this message if you were kidding in that last paragraph. According to my news, Tupac is dead now. I just though someone might like to know. Alright, so I knew no one cared. Really I just wanted an excuse to send another message to the list. Oh well, sobeit. Aneurin Gray Oh, I knew....it was a shot at myself for my lack of info on the whole Oasis thing. I received a lot of mail from both sides over at the Dave Matthews Band list serv. shep ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:15:13 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: Announcing the Return of Ben or Been and Stuff > Hellooo, Ben or Been is back and ready to write about TMBG!!! > Ever so happy to return, > Ben or Been welcome back ben or been! just to let you know you were missed! Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:13:16 PST Subject: ALACHUA From: kalton@juno.com (kenneth a herniman) ok then... to any floridian fan's. if you havent already found out there is going toi be a music festival in Alachua county october 4-6. headliningg it will be TMBG, George Clinton & The P-Funk All Stars, and over 50 other bands. its $15 for 3 day pass and $10 for a tent site. i had the number around here but i seem to have misplaced it so then you'll just have to become more resourcefull and find it for yourself wont you? -ken ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:43:21 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Arrrgggghhhh!! Breaking into the industry sucks.... I can't get to Richmond for the concert. :( I have to work again. I guess it's good I didn't go and buy tickets. I'm disappointed, but I guess I might be able to play them while I'm working. Blue "Slave to the Man at the Radio Station" Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:48:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Stuff > >Two questions about the new album. First, is James K. Polk just going to >be a re-recording of the Polk on the Istanbul album? Second, is the XTC >in "XTC vs. Adam Ant" the band XTC? AFAIK, the James K. Polk is the same song, but done faster and with a "singing saw" in place of the "la"s. Yes, the XTC in question is Mr. Partridge and co., which is too bad, because they really deserve to be memorialized in a better song than that. >The only other song besides S-E-X-X-Y I have heard on the album is "Why >Can't I Sing Like A Girl" when I heard Them at the Fairfax Fair gig in >June and thought it was also a great song. If those two songs are any >reflection of the quality of the rest of the songs, this should be a >great album. If you think *those* two are good, wait until you hear Metal Detector! It's catchy, it's got cheesy synthesizer sounds, it sounds like TMBG. It kicks ass! /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 16:48:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Sucking Action of Mono Puff, and The Death of 2Pac Ben or Been here. I am sincerely saddened by the death of 2Pac. Man, what a way to go. Now, I had not one of his albums, not a song of his in my music collection, I don't even think I liked any of his stuff I heard, but his being riddled out of nowhere by a barrage of bullets was very sad. I truly was flushed upon hearing it (this morning, through the grapevine), and, unfortunately, I do have one sick comment concerning his death: Rapping with one lung would be pretty damn tuff. *********************************************** Let's break away to a discussion of Mono Puff's commercial release, _Unsupervised_. As for albums go, I think this one is *sloppy*. Here's why I think thus: 1) I expect when I hear electronic, synthesized music (as in the Hello debut of Flansburgh's Mono Puff) there to be it consistently throughout an album. That is, I didn't like how they (he?) redid "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" and "What Bothers the Spaceman?" and "Dr. Kildare." Even "So Long Mockingbird"--without redoing "Careless Santa" and "Hello Hello." The sound seems *interrupted* when I come to these original tracks, stacked around these new, rockin' recordings. 2) (This is definitely a "my preference" thang.) I think the original form of Mono Puff (in its Hello debut) sounded much better/much better recorded than in this new release. For instance, the original version of "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" rocks to me SO MUCH MORE than the newer, lame-added-lyrics version. And "What Bothers the Spaceman?" just sounds as if it needs almost total synthetic-sounding music rather that guitar-generated similar-sounds. 3) Knowing the original version of "Nixon's the One," the new version sounds dumb: Add a little guitar strummin' to a song recorded in a different style and you got a better song? Not for me in this case. It sounded to me like two different recording styles--didn't work. 4) "Do I Have the Right?" (or whatever it's called) made me go "Huh?" when I first heard it. For some reason, Nancy Howell's voice doesn't fit into the scheme of the record for me. I mean, people could easily argue that, hey, I liked Hudson Shad's redition of "O, Do Not Forsake Me" and that forgotten singer's voice on "Boat of Car," but it doesn't sound "right" (no pun intended) that she appear on this short album. (Then again, the pink album with "Boat" was about as long, wasn't it?) So, what makes it sloppy for me mainly is the different recording techniques used. The album almost sounds like three different bands under one name, and my ear tells me this shouldn't be. Oh well, I do listen to the album and like most of the tracks--have gotten used to the new versions too--but my first impression makes me rate this album loooooooooow. [On the flip side, the single for "The Devil Went Down to Newport" was awesome for me. The remix of "The Devil" sounds like the beginning of "All I Really Want" by Alanis M.] Nervous about the spooky new release of TMBG, Ben or Been (I'm not trying to draw flames. I'm open to hear other opinions. I apologize for my ignorance in understanding the recording process.) R.I.P. Tupac Shakur died 1996 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Monopuff Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:36:15 -0400 (EDT) In response to Ben or Been regarding the monopuff album and single: To defend Flans and Monopuff, I feel I must state that Monopuff was Flans's way of getting away from the more recent TMBG style of cutting albums. Not that he doesn't like that method but he has stated that he wanted to start this band to experiment. To be able to do things that he couldn't do in TMBG. This may be why you get the impression that it isn't as clean as you'd like it to be. This is always why you may see the varying styles throughout the album (go from Hello Hello to Don't I Have the Right and you'll see right awy how different this is). As for Don't I have the Right? I must say that this song will probably grow on you. It sure grew on me. At first I didn't like it very much (maybe it was that country touch that instinctively made me cringe?) but now I *LOVE* this song and think it is wonderful. Nancy Lynn Howell btw lived across the street from Flans in the past (just an OAT to throw in there). Flans was definitely out to try everything and anything (well not *anything* but to just plain experiment). He's on a lesser label than Elecktra (is Rykodisk independent I guess?) and therefore can do more without Rykodisk breathing down his neck to put out the next great song. This ecclecticism of songs has turned me onto the album. Now I can't argue as well gainst your point about comparing it to the original Monopuff 5 song EP. I have heard these songs (although it's been ages since I've listened to them) and I think they are good. I think I do like So Long Mockingbird in it's origiinal form, that weird swaying paradaisal-Hawaii sound (I dunno thatr's what I call it) can get on my nerves sometimes and I skip past the song sometimes. I really can't remember how the Unsupervised goes on the EP either so I have no argument as of yet. As for the single, I actually don't like the Totally Remade Devil Went Down to Newport, it's just too funky-weird for me. I do like Trytophane lots though and I don't think it changed much from EP to single although I could be wrong. Oddball is not a bada song either. Ok, well I must leave work now, so talk with ya'll later. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:53:17 -0400 Subject: Re: Polk and XTX v. Adam Ant >First, is James K. Polk just going to >be a re-recording of the Polk on the Istanbul album? yes, its a re-recording but its faster and those precious la's have been traded in for *drum roll* a SINGING SAW!! actually, its not as scary as it sounds... i'm dieing to know who plays it (course, they prob just cheated n hired a pro) tho the lack of la's on both jkpolk and i can hear you makes one think someone's got it in for em (the la's i mean) at least we've got that xquisite deadguy intro *sigh* >Second, is the XTC >in "XTC vs. Adam Ant" the band XTC? yep! i love the strings.. and for the record my $'s on XTC all the way! so anyone else gonna b at the mercury lounge a week from tonight? liz trying ever so hard to be concise -------------------------- FREAK FLAG GOES UP IN *20* DAYS!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:32:08 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: The Sucking Action of Mono Puff >Let's break away to a discussion of Mono Puff's commercial release, >_Unsupervised_. > >As for albums go, I think this one is *sloppy*. Here's why I think thus: > >Oh well, I do listen to the album and like most of the tracks--have gotten >used to the new versions too--but my first impression makes me rate this >album loooooooooow. > >[On the flip side, the single for "The Devil Went Down to Newport" was >awesome for me. The remix of "The Devil" sounds like the beginning of >"All I Really Want" by Alanis M.] > >Nervous about the spooky new release of TMBG, >Ben or Been I have both Unsupervised and the Devil EP, but not the Hello discs. On first listening to Unsupervised I didn't like it much, mainly because certain songs seemed out of place. (I can't recall right now which ones, but I remember that I really liked TDWDTN, Unsupervised and Careless Santa.) However, when I got the Devil single and listened to it I really liked all the songs, and it seemed, like you said, less sloppy. I really like the single, and I wish the album had that same quality. (I also really like Felt Tip Pen, which I heard on All Things Considered.) BTW, Could anyone put together a list of all the Mono Puff songs that have been recorded (On hello discs or Unsupervised or the single, of course.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:49:52 CST Subject: Ft. Wayne show Hello there! I'm in a bind sort of, and am going to ask a HUGE favor. PLEASE is there ANYone in the vicinity of Valparaiso IN that would be willing to give me a ride to and from the Ft. Wayne show? I'm planning on getting a ticket(s) on Saturday when they go on sale, but I can only do this if I have the guarantee that I have transportation! I'll pay you for gas, whatever. I'm dying to go to this show, I'm you know how this feels and anyone that could help me out would be greatly apprecitated. Please email me back as soon as you can or call me. 219-464-5677 THANKYOU! (for the card with the cartoon nurse...) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: life is good - tmbg on radio Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:46:41 -0500 (EST) On my way to the office for an evening rendezvous with tedium, I just heard SEXXY on the lame "alternative" radio station from Indianapolis (you'll see why I say that, perhaps). After it was over, the DJ said, "That song sounded kinda sexy, kinda funky, huh? In fact, that's its name: Sexxy [sic], new from They Might Be Giants. The calls are already pouring in, saying, 'That song rules, keep it on the playlist.' Sexxy, by They Might Be Giants - let us know what you think. Here's the new Metallica..." Oh, well. But you know, that song does sound *good* on the radio! (TMBG, not Metallica) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:05:47 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Organization: From the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701D Subject: Another useless message I hate to post another useless message, mainly because I know how much it sucks to get them when on a list, but I need to know this works. Soon it will all become clear. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:12:27 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Of a Mistake, Tupac and Factory Showroom, but stupid anyway... Yeah, I kind of figured by the time I got to 'list password' that I was looking at the list's config file. You're lucky that none of us actually care to change anything here anyway. But it was pretty damn funny nonetheless. Diving headfirst into the stream on conciousness and hitting our heads, I feel I should bring up Tupac. Sorry, I know the list, yadda, yadda, yadda, ... but I really thought about this the other day. Tupac was the first rap artist, (gulping) to release a double CD. They haven't even done this. Sure, mess around with guns and stuff and you're liable to die, but you have to admire the guy for his talent, whatever that may be. Anyway, I went into a music store and asked them why 'factory sshowroom' wasn't on their oct 8th releases board. They told me that the company had called them and was delaying it or something. Is this guy talking out of hie left ear or what?!? Is is still on time here......? -Josh, ever so bored as to send such a stupid post to all of your mailboxes so that you have to delete it and not read it anyway because it looks as stupid as it is. jwh@U.Arizona.Edu -=or=- jwh@TMBG.org ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG albums sited Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:17:33 -0700 Today at Tower records in the clearance section I found the French CD releases of the Pink Album and Lincoln, and they were released on Elektra over there, $13.50 each, which I may have purchased if it were not for me having them already! .......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com .....'hopelessly fighting the devil futility .........feeling the monster climb deeper inside of me ....feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily...' ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-256 ******************************