Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-258 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 258 Saturday, 21 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Mistake Re: release date Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-256 Kill the infidels! Re: Why I love Chocolate (fwd) Re: Settle down, bluedawg Re: Ft. Wayne show BOBA MAIL: Stuff Single mini cd's SPELL LINNELL! Re: House of Blues Re: Mono crap FW: humor and forwards Mercury Lounge devil Iron Horse Show, Hatch Shell?,Concert tapes Re: Kill the infidels! Re: FW: humor and forwards Larry Sanders Re: Why I love Chocolate (fwd) Re: SPELL LINNELL! superuprecht: Flesh, yum Re: FW: humor and forwards Ft. Wayne Re: Settle down, bluedawg Videos O Do Not Forsake Me Q101 Cage Match, Chicago, TMBG vs. Marilyn Manson Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 Re:Q101 Cage Match Re: FW: humor and forwards Re: SPELL LINNELL! Not discussing jokes, and other things Re: BOBA MAIL: Stuff Re: Albany Show Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 Humor & TMBG Let Me Just Put In... TMBG NOT on cage match TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 Monopuff Planet Squeezebox Re: TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 02:05:16 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Mistake On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Leo Bicknell wrote: > Well, your list admin made a nice little mistake. > I didn't really mean to send you all my mailing list config > file. *sigh* That's OK. Say what type of system are you running majordomo on? I can't get it to work on Solaris 2.5 x86 and I've been trying. > I need a vacation. Sounds like a great idea. I wish *I* could do that... ;) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:52:05 PST Subject: Re: release date Jason Murphy wrote: > > I just did my first radio show of the year here at school, > and upon my surprise there was the advance promotional > copy of Factory Showroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > So i guess that's a leg up on the U.K. for all us Yanky > DJ's, huh? :) > I nearly wet my pants on the air when i saw the cd!! > > > As a Brit myself, I just wondered exactly what you meant by "pants"????? The mind boggles..... xxx Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:20:45 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-256 Hey there people, I know that for most of you, finding a Pink TMBG album would be no great deal. Well, today, /I/ found the TMBG pink album on Vinyl still sealed in the orginal plastic, so it seems. Very good condition. The best part was that it only cost me 15 bux which is a bargain!!! And, the thing that makes this even more extraordinary is the fact that I live in Australia, and it;s just so hard to find anything to get excited about, usually. Oh well, that's my joy for the month. My collection is slowly building... Bye, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:38:21 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Kill the infidels! please stop stephen m helmick and peter may... they are the children of the anti-john green jello -- 1> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:33:01 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: Why I love Chocolate (fwd) please do not do this... besides everyone knows that the only better than sex is taco bell **grins at his evil ways** Green Jello ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Settle down, bluedawg Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:50:33 -0500 (CDT) > immortal god- linnell but MURDER??? (we sre not Mayans, the linnell god is > not displeased and no human sacrifice, OK?) But human sacrifice is so gosh darn FUN!!! Unfair. I wanna sacrifice someone... ;) I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`"~"""~"~"~"'~"~"~~"~"`""`"<<>>"~~'`'"""~"""'~""'"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:20:03 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Ft. Wayne show On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, JOHANNA JONES wrote: > Hello there! I'm in a bind sort of, and am going to ask a HUGE favor. > >PLEASE is there ANYone in the vicinity of Valparaiso IN that would > be >willing to give me a ride to and from the Ft. Wayne show? I'm > planning FT. WAYNE SHOW?!? Where is that? I didn't see that on the tour list! Where would they play in Ft. Wayne? (all ages?) I mean, I know where Ft. Wayne is, but I'm just wondering...Oy...I'm not in the region but am in Bloomington and was planning on having to go to Kentucky or Ohio! Wow...sorry for all of the !'s... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: "BOBA the bop bag boy" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:41:03 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Stuff Hey there listies! How's everyone? I must agree on the topic of sending unrelated things to the list, (i.e. chain mail, jokes, yadda yadda yadda.) *Boba steps down from his soapbox* *Boba falls on his ass because he's a clutz* *Boba gets up and dusts himself off* (dust yourself off) *Boba thinks 'Clutz sures looks funny on paper'* Hey to someone who's got Factory Showroom: James K. Polk isn't exactly the same as before, is it? I know there's a singing saw, but there should be a guitar part. i even figured out the guitar part played at shows on the mini tour. Does it sound like the one played at shows on that tour? Thanks very much, Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Gimme Some Mail" - ME boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:36:28 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Single mini cd's I was at Tower records in Ann Arbor, MI yesterday and in their singles section, they had a TON of DOn't Let's Start and They'll need a crane singles. Only they were those really tiny cd's, I think they're 3 inches in diameter. Anyway, they've been mentioned on this list recently. There's lots for everyone, so if you live in the area, check em out. john ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:07:42 -0400 Subject: SPELL LINNELL! >>John Linel John Linnnelll John Lynel John Lycra John Lollapalooza John Linill John Lineup John<< You forgot a few. John Linoleum. John [TMBG] List. John Lips. John Lincoln (!). John Liberty Bell. John Library. John Lightning. John Lingerie. John Lime. John Lemon. John Lennon (?). John Lion. John Liquidation-Sale! I'm sure I'm sorry, but I just liked my subject header. :) -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "We beat penicillin!" - Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:08:02 -0400 Subject: Re: House of Blues >>for House of Blues and tomorrow night for Larry Sanders, set > >your VCRs!!! *snip* What??? them on TV??? When??? Where??? I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!! >*snip* You konw, now that I look at the Cable guide I dnot see it listed anywhere.*snip* Or is this going to be broadcasted some other day?<< I think they're filming them these dates. Because the new Larry Sanders season hasn't begun airing yet. As far as I know. >>This does sound amazingly like a Kids in the Hall episode where the guy has a guitar duel against the Devil and he plays the Holy Trinity of Rock, Smoke on the WAter! A classic episode back in the day when I could actually watch it on HBO. My cable company is evil and won't give me Comedy Central.<< LO freekin L! :D My biggest obsession! the Kids!! :D "E, B, A.....E, A, B, A....E, A, B, ..E, A..." -dubbing Brain Candy as we speak, sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Yeah, it's the new thing where you fuck or get fucked with toast." - Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:07:34 -0400 Subject: Re: Mono crap >> I'm sorry, but I want to hear about Linnell sometimes. The poor guy hasn't been mentioned. << Yes, Linnell is my favourite John, but anything distantly related to TMBG is matrial for the List. If you were with us longer, you would have read all the schtuff about Mr. Linnell possibly being an alien. He's not ignored here, pa-leeese! He's *really* hot, too, how could we ignore him!? :) -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:24:08 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: humor and forwards Was anyone else under the impression that this was a They Might Be Giants list? I coulda sworn it was. You see, I was on a humor list once, but I really thought I had unsubscribed. Funny thing is, the forwarded jokes keep on coming here. Hmmm... I don't want to be a party-pooper, but there are other lists for the purpose of distributing jokes. If you browse the net, you can find the address for one of them. They really appreciate good humor. We really appreciate They Might Be Giants. Let's not get them mixed up, okay? Thanx- Well, from this message, I can see why Mr. Fru-fru is no longer on the humour list. We had this same problem back over on the Dave Matthews list....people posting things that were not "DAVE" related. A select few were very pro-justDave, whereas the rest of the crew was already enlightened enough to not have a brain embolism with every non-Dave post. Point being, read on: The mailing list, although created mainly for the purpose of talking about 's music, is obviously NOT going to be 100% . Why? Because, although is a great band, and there's lots of -produced material out there, does not create enough stuff, nor perform enough, etc. to constantly talk about . Those who listen to have other tastes. Those will most likely be discussed in and around . If one wants to only talk about , one must use the DELETE key on everything else. Flame on, my wayward son. shep ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:28:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Helene Subject: Mercury Lounge Just to let you all know, they are coming back to the Mercury Lounge in New York next Wed. Sept. 25... I called and they said it will be an 18 and over show... I'll be going definately, Tmbg is way more important than college... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:48:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: devil Is there really a single of them doing the Devil went down to Georgia? I already have two versions of it. The original, and one by "Those Darned Accordians". Where can I get the one by them? Liam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:24:00 -0400 From: ANN MARIE CALLAHAN Subject: Iron Horse Show, Hatch Shell?,Concert tapes >Actually there is (or was) stuff to talk about concerning TMBG. But nobody said anything about the Zoots show in maine or the Iron Horse show in Northhampton. Where are the people who went to these shows and why haven't they posted?< Ok, now i feel guilty after that message. I guess i have to admit that I went to the Iron Horse show and it was the most fun I have had in ages! ______________________________________________ Iron Horse Music Hall - Wednesday, Sept 4 th, 7+10pm THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: Rolling Stone calls them "the worlds most absurdist rock band." The Village Voice calls them "a Dr. Seuss pop group, in a Joan Collins world ." Two Johns: one contributes accordian, sax, and the occasional banjo, and the other provides mock guitar heroics. TMBG truly are giagantic - much to their chagrin. _______________________________________________ There were two shows at the horse that night. We went to the 10 pm show. (this was my first experience seeing them live so I was really excited!) While we were waiting in line outside, we heard them play "particle man" which got us all pumped up for the show. Between shows some of the roadies came outside to get cool and have a smoke (the horse is a non-smoking club). As they went back in I noticed one guy with a Frank Black t-shirt on. I could have kicked myself because it was Flans! he was out there the whole time standing a few feet away from me and i did'nt even notice. (later when i was in the show i realized two of the other guys were the horn players). The show was awhile ago but I believe they played the following songs (not in any particular order): Ana Ng Mammal Istanbul Spider The Guitar Older She's Actual Size Birdhouse They'll need a crane Spy S-E-X-X-Y They might be giants got lost? Subliminal WDTSS XTC vs. Adam Ant How can I sing like a girl? Joker (by Steve Miller) Part of "Staying Alive" That's all I can remember for songs. The best thing about the show was how much fun John and John seemed to be having. Flans was the first one back on the stage for the encore... he had trouble with feedback in the equipment (horrible noise) Linnell and the rest of the band left him up on stage by himself trying to fix the problem. They were all laughing...especially linnell. It was really fun and it seemed like they were having a good time too. I also went to the Hatch Shell show which was also fun (though not as intimate). Alot has already been said about the show but I was curious about one thing. We brought binoculars so we could see the stage and I noticed an older couple to the right on the stage during the performance. I wondered if they were one of the John's parents since the John's were originally from the Boston Area. The older couple left after the John's finished. (just curious) Yesterday I was in a used cd store and discovered two bootleg concert tapes! One was of a show in 94 in Boston and the other of a show in 95 in Rochester NY (i may have messed up the dates). Kind of cool - made by someone on the list? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:43:06 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Kill the infidels! > please stop stephen m helmick and peter may... they are the children of > the anti-john >=20 > green jello > --=20 > 1=BE >=20 >=20 i would like to agree. anyone that can send that kind of stuff must die a horrible painful death. ok, that's just how i feel. maybe i'm weird, or maybe we're all weird, or maybe i need more sleep. ok, bye. =09=09=09=09=09=09mr_me =09=09=09=09=09=09(mr_me@tmbg.org) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FW: humor and forwards From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:49:18 EDT On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:24:08 PDT Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) writes: > >Was anyone else under the impression that this was a They Might Be >Giants >list? I coulda sworn it was. You see, I was on a humor list once, >but I >really thought I had unsubscribed. Funny thing is, the forwarded >jokes >keep on coming here. Hmmm... I don't want to be a party-pooper, but >there are other lists for the purpose of distributing jokes. If you >browse the net, you can find the address for one of them. They really >appreciate good humor. We really appreciate They Might Be Giants. >Let's >not get them mixed up, okay? Thanx- > >Well, from this message, I can see why Mr. Fru-fru is no longer on the > > humour list. > > >We had this same problem back over on the Dave Matthews list....people > > posting things that were not "DAVE" related. A select few were very > pro-justDave, whereas the rest of the crew was already enlightened > enough to not have a brain embolism with every non-Dave post. > >Point being, read on: > > >The mailing list, although created mainly for the purpose of > talking about 's music, is obviously NOT going to be 100% > . Why? Because, although is a great band, and >there's > lots of -produced material out there, does not create > enough stuff, nor perform enough, etc. to constantly talk about >. > >Those who listen to have other tastes. Those will most likely > > be discussed in and around . > >If one wants to only talk about , one must use the DELETE key >on > everything else. > >Flame on, my wayward son. > > >shep > Thanx for the reply. I was kinda hoping someone would try to put me in my place. Well, Shep, for some reason, I already have a high amount of respect for you. I have no idea where I acquired this but... ALTHOUGH lists can be off topic at times, chain letters are NOT permissable. They are indeed wrong and even dangerous. Here is why-- If everyone were to actually do what the chain letter suggests, the amount of e-mail would be way too much. This sort of thing expands exponentially and could cause major problems for servers. I am not making this up. I know someone who runs a server and I mistakenly sent them a chain letter once. They replied to me with a very large message explaining the dangers of forwarding chain letters in detail. It is a serious thing. Furthermore, many people don't enjoy receiving stuff like that anyway. It's just not cool. Also, although members of a list should be able to discuss off-topic things, a joke is not a discussable topic. You just tell a joke. There's no discussion or thinking involved. And once a few jokes get forwarded to the list, it will just get worse and worse. You saw how it worked-- I've been on this list for several months now, and never have I seen a joke on this list even once until this week. As soon as one person forwarded a joke, two more people forwarded jokes the next day. I wrote my message to make sure the latest TMBG trend would not be exchanging jokes. I think my view makes sense. Write me with criticisms, comments, and suggestions. Yours, Chris P.S. Have I already mentioned how much I like flames? Go ahead. Do it. I've got my flame-retardent underwear on... ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:57:53 CST Subject: Larry Sanders Can someone please tell me when the Larry Sanders show is on? I don't have cable in my room, but I know someone who does. I've heard about it for ahile now, and if I can I'd like to see Them!!! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Why I love Chocolate (fwd) From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:10:48 EDT On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:33:01 -0700 Green Jello writes: >besides everyone knows that the only better than sex is taco bell That is, if you particularly like diarrhea... I shouldn't have gone there... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:45:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: SPELL LINNELL! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Sep-96 SPELL LINNELL! by KdsInThHal@aol.com > >>John Linel > John Linnnelll > John Lynel > John Lycra > John Lollapalooza > John Linill > John Lineup > John<< > > You forgot a few. John Linoleum. John [TMBG] List. John Lips. John Lincoln > (!). John Liberty Bell. John Library. John Lightning. John Lingerie. John > Lime. John Lemon. John Lennon (?). John Lion. John Liquidation-Sale! > I'm sure I'm sorry, but I just liked my subject header. :) John Manyjohns Hmmm... reminds me of Buckaroo Bonzai's journey into the 8th Dimension (or something like that) There were all these aliens on earth and to most people the looked liked regular people and they were all named John. Hmmm.... all the aliens were named John... Both the Johns are named John.... New conspiracy theory anyone? :) -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Subject: superuprecht: Flesh, yum From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:10:48 EDT >>>>>I wrote:<<<<< On Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:43:46 -0400 ZippyKelp@aol.com writes: >For those of us who don't know, what was the Flesh Fest? > Long ago in the days before the human race dominated this planet, there was but one town in the world. In this town lived a race, called the Oks, who had no spoken language and seemed to be staring at everyone, all the time. Instead of speaking, this race would use the harmonics of the accordian to communicate. Because this town was underwater the sound of their accordians would travel for miles and the whole world was in harmony. One day, however, some really mean apes came swimming along, broke all their accordians and killed all but one of the Oks. John Linnell, an imortal, is the soul survivor of the race of the Oks. To this day he continues to attempt to spread the message of harmony with his accordian (which, although it is quite good, does not have the same effect as the original). Every year, during the summer solstice, John Linnell returns to a wheat field in Oklahoma (accompanied by his band, TMBG), the site of the town of the Oks, and morns the loss of his race while thousands of nude fans of the band They Might Be Giants watch intently in what has come to be known as the Oklahoma Flesh Fest. Although it is not known exactly where this field is, thousands of fans somehow show up anyway... \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: superuprecht@juno.com The Annoying Quote: "I don't need to drive past the houses of girl I used to think I loved" - Wally Pleasant "Only Everything" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ I thought I'd repost this as an example of how little we ignore Linnell... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:05:45 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Re: FW: humor and forwards >Thanx for the reply. I was kinda hoping someone would try to put me in >my place. Well, Shep, for some reason, I already have a high amount of >respect for you. I have no idea where I acquired this but... Oh, it doesn't matter. The fact that you have it is quite enough. >Furthermore, many people don't enjoy receiving stuff like that anyway. It's just not >cool. Well, my complaint with email chain letters is not so much server damage as it is the fact that they're dull. Even the farcical ones. DULL DULL DULL. >Also, although members of a list should be able to discuss off-topic >things, a joke is not a discussable topic. You just tell a joke. Yours, Chris Jokes aren't funny. Jokes are bad. BAAAAAAD! Jokes are the work of the devil. Do not laugh in the presence of a joke, for ye surely will be damned to hell. Actually, I agree with Chris. You shouldn't be discussing jokes. If you have to discuss a joke, I wonder what's up with you, silly fru-fru. I've been saying silly fru-fru a lot. Please don't discuss that. Also, I have nothing to say about TMBG or Mono Puff right now. Both are good but I still have nothing to say other than that. Oh, and I got the trumpet player to sign my shirt back in March 1995 but i swear to God that's the end of that. No more, I beg you. I know this isn't TMBG related......I like bacon. Regular, not Canadian. I have to go now. shep, who explains it all better than clarissa ever f**king will, and don't you forget it ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:51:44 CST Subject: Ft. Wayne I need advice. What would you do in this situation? I've as far as I know got the opportunity to buy tickets for the Ft. Wayne show. They're going to go fast most likely given the Hootie factor, so if I'm going to but them I have to buy them right away. But I'm not completely sure if I'm going to have transportation there. Should I but the tickets? I think I should. But I'm risking a good deal of money here. What do I do? What do I do? I know there are a lot of you who think I'm out of my mind, spending too much money on a show that I might not get to see. But there are also those of you just like me who would do ANYTHING to see the Johns. Hell, Id pay $50 to see them. Should I do it? Should I? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:28:27 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Settle down, bluedawg On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Leda Glodell wrote: > You seem very mad tonight..... sure they misspelled the name of the > immortal god- linnell but MURDER??? (we sre not Mayans, the linnell god is > not displeased and no human sacrifice, OK?) I've been watching OJ again...so sue me. But I'm displeased, and according to some of my fans, I am god. > why do i get the feeling i'm gonna see a re: Settle down, bluedawg message > in my mailbox soon? Because it warranted a response..... Now who's first? You get to pick your execution style.... -Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:50:25 -0700 From: ringofan@internetx.net (Chris Cashman) Subject: Videos Hey does anyone out there have a copy of the promo video with birdhouse and Istanbul??? ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:51:26 -0700 Subject: O Do Not Forsake Me "Andreas Baeuchle" wrote: > I'd also like to take the time to say O' Do Not Forsake Me is an awesome song. > It rocks It's strange, it's out of place, it's not even the Johns, but DAMN I just can't help but love that song! Matt "In your darkest hour, my indolent friends, we'll be one thousand years old." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:12:10 -0500 From: "Lt. Cmdr. Aldus" Subject: Q101 Cage Match, Chicago, TMBG vs. Marilyn Manson Hello everyone, I just wanted to say if anyone here is in Chicago or anywhere nearby, to vote for They Might Be Giants (I'm not sure which song) in the Q101 Cage Match tonight, anywhere from about 8:30CST to 9:20CST. The number is 1-312-591-8300 (unless you're in the 312 area code of course) and say you want to vote for TMBG. Let's beat those weird Marilyn Manson people. If They win, they go on until they lose as the champion (the nect contest would be next Monday through Friday, same time). Thanks!!! Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:19:06 -0400 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 Hey there, Someone wrote about the backwards message on the remix of the Devil Went Down to Newport CD. I flipped it around. It says, "Satan, go, go,...go." By the way, I too see nothing wrong with talking about Mono Puff. If Linnell released his solo album, I'm sure we'd all be talking about it as well. Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:58:24 -0700 From: Linda Cowan Subject: Re:Q101 Cage Match They are on the cage match tonight! Yippee skippee! 35 more minutes till They are on! Last time They were on They won many, many nights in a row. Even though the Marilyn Manson song is cool, TMBG is much cooler. Also, hello to all the Chicago are TMBGer, especially the one who was so kind to inform me of the fact that They are on the cage match tonight. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:17:27 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: FW: humor and forwards >Well, from this message, I can see why Mr. Fru-fru is no longer on the > humour list. > > >We had this same problem back over on the Dave Matthews list....people > posting things that were not "DAVE" related. A select few were very > pro-justDave, whereas the rest of the crew was already enlightened > enough to not have a brain embolism with every non-Dave post. > >Point being, read on: > > >The mailing list, although created mainly for the purpose of > talking about 's music, is obviously NOT going to be 100% > . Why? Because, although is a great band, and there's > lots of -produced material out there, does not create > enough stuff, nor perform enough, etc. to constantly talk about . > >Those who listen to have other tastes. Those will most likely > be discussed in and around . > >If one wants to only talk about , one must use the DELETE key on > everything else. Wow. That sounded selfish. I don't mean to take up an offensive tone, it was just what I picked up from your message. Here is what's called logic in my world: 1) If you want humor AND tmbg in your mailbox, more power to 'ya. Join a humor list and a tmbg list. Clogging up THIS list, however, is not fair to those who want only TMBG, or to Leo Bicknell, who says that his list server is already overburdened. 2) I have received forwards about sex, chocolate, and several chain letters. Now, I don't know about anyone else around here, but I didn't ask for sexual chocolate and I sure as hell didn't ask for chain letters. I asked for tour dates, Factory Showroom info, ideas on what the Johns should do next. Bottom line - if you love humor: join a humor list if you love TMBG: join a TMBG mailing list if you love both: join both, but don't ignorantly clog up a TMBG list if you love sending mass chain letters to people: go f!@k yourself I hope you consider this from a logical standpoint. ] On to a new conversation, I just got a promo FS, and, well, where's the accordian? Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:44:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: SPELL LINNELL! Someone named Christian A Wedge wrote: > Hmmm.... all the aliens were named John... > Both the Johns are named John.... > > New conspiracy theory anyone? :) Not new but we did get into a convo a while back abut Linnell (look kids, spelled correctly) being an alien becuase of his freaky eyes. Come to think of it, I think I remember being the one that started it. Or at least I contributed majorly. But I still believe that maybe this is true, because when I saw Them in DC Linnell stared at me many times, and smiled too. That was when I melted into a little puddle because, to agree with Sarah, he is HOT. Ok, enough from me. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org If you had everything, where would you keep it? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:46:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Not discussing jokes, and other things > > I've been saying silly fru-fru a lot. Please don't discuss that. > I refuse to discuss this. That's all I have to say. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The toughest time...in anyone's life...is when you have to kill a loved one just because they're the devil. -- Emo Phillips ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:53:36 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: BOBA MAIL: Stuff >Hey to someone who's got Factory Showroom: Ohhhhh... ME! >i even figured out the guitar part played at shows on the mini tour. Could you post it, or e-mail it to me? Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:16:45 -0400 From: Amy/Seta Subject: Re: Albany Show I just got my tickets for the Albany show today!! They were $12.50 thu ticketmaster, not $14.75. Is anyone else goin? AmY >Okay, here's what I know about the Albany show with the Violent Femmes: >tickets are $12.50 if you get them directly (i.e. through a student at >SUNY Albany) and $14.75 if you get them through ticketmaster; ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:49:33 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 OK, so sure, we all have our own opinions about Unsupervised, but 3 months down the track it gets a bit old... Can we cut the Mono Puff guff? Well, I reckon we should anyway. As for S-E-X-X-Y... well I won't be able to get it for ages coz I live in Australia!!! Apparently they don't even have it on their new release lists or anything!!!! How disappointing... Can anyone else comprehend the sadness I do? Cyas, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:58:46 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Humor & TMBG Seeing as there have been all the discussions lately as a result of all the wonderful (hack, hack cough... sorry.. must be a hair ball or something) forwarded mail and chain letters, I was wondering if any of you have any collections or just single examples of jokes involving TMBG (now this is a long sentence.. whew). I would like to put a collection of such humor on my webpage/FTP site. I also think it would be downright fun to have some of this stuff passed around on the mailing list. In other non-TMBG related stuff, for those of you who are Tori Amos fans, I am in the middle of putting together a Tori website/FTP site in parallel with my TMBG site, any input/files/links would be helpful. Will... the amature freak (amature because no one is willing to pay me for it). Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ------------------------------ Subject: Let Me Just Put In... From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 23:00:30 EDT I don't see as you are any longer actually debating about the humor/chain letter bit, it's a matter of Netiquette, it's not that necessary. If people would simply learn to send mean letter to chain letter senders, we wouldn't have this problem. I realize that as new people enter the wonderful would of The Information Super-Landfill they will think it is alright to send chain letters. They will also think it is good to send complaints about them to mailing lists. We all learn. I've been working all week in that office called school. In my head is always, only: "Your head is on the moon, It's not necessary to breathe, Forever is a long time, Your head is on the moon..." It's like a mantra or something silly of that nature. Try it whenever you feel as if you are wasting your life wading through a sea of non-thinking peons... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "It was a rumble, at the kareoke bar, you best stumble, in" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:22:13 -0700 From: Linda Cowan Subject: TMBG NOT on cage match Well, I listened to the Q101 cage match and They were not on there. I was highly disappointed. I would like to know where the person who stated that TMBG was up against Marilyn Manson got their info. Did Q101, as usual, repress TMBG songs? Trillian ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 00:09:03 EDT Hiya folks! TMBGs show last night at the House of Blues in Hollywood was very interesting. First of all, a new band called the Candy Butchers (also from NYC) opened for Them. The lead singer (Mike Viola) was entertaining, and about half of their songs were pretty darn catchy. Also, the drummer was a dead ringer for Jim Carrey. Scary. Later on, some of us began to worry because They were about 15 minutes late. But then we found out that Linnell had a nasty sore throat. He sounded just like Freddy Kreugger. So the night was essentially all Flans, with some very interesting guest stars. Flans said that this concert was off the record for us internet people, but I will say that a Mr. F. B. made a surprise appearance! Now, heres the set list: Spider The Guitar Pet Name New York City Shes Actual Size Twisting Older How Can I Sing Like a Girl? Birdhouse in Your Soul (w/ Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers) Exquisite Dead Guy - (very cool tune, sung by puppetheads) Meet James Ensor XTC vs. Adam Ant Particle Man (sung by Mr. F.B.) Oddball (also Mr. F.B.) Spy S-E-X-X-Y (Go Eric!) AKA Driver / Stayin Alive James K. Polk (sung by John F.) No One Knows My Band intros Sleeping in the Flowers Istanbul (not Constantinople) Why Does the Sun Shine? As you can see, it WAS a very interesting set, about 90 minutes long. Now I was about 5 or 6 rows back standing room, and I got a very good quality recording of the show for all traders to enjoy. So if youre interested in getting a copy of this unusual show, E-mail me back. Thanks for reading! Larry "I used to rock and roll all night and party evurry day. Then it was every other day, then it was a half-hour a week...." - Homer Simpson ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Monopuff Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 00:43:36 -0400 (EDT) > OK, so sure, we all have our own opinions about Unsupervised, but 3 months > down the track it gets a bit old... Can we cut the Mono Puff guff? Well, I > reckon we should anyway. Why must we cut all of the Monopuff chatter? We don't stop talking about TMBG albums 3 months after they come out do we? Heck, we still talk about the Pink album and that came out about 10 years ago! It isn't like Monopuff doesn't have a definite connection to TMBG. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 01:32:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Planet Squeezebox I know this is only tangentially related, but bear with me. I just got a 3 CD collection entitled "Planet Squeezebox", and it is quite simply amazing!! It covers everything from jazz to zydeco to polka to african to just about everything else. So, if anyone would like to expand their horizons and hear some of the non-TMBG accordion music being produced, I'll gladly make copies (whether the whole thing or just highlights). -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 01:40:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 > TMBG=92s show last night at the House of Blues in Hollywood was very > interesting. First of all, a new band called the Candy Butchers (also > from NYC) opened for Them. The lead singer (Mike Viola) was > entertaining, and about half of their songs were pretty darn catchy.=20 > Also, the drummer was a dead ringer for Jim Carrey. Scary. I'm curious: the Candy Butchers have gotten some good reviews from other list members who have seen them live. Have most of you enjoyed them as much, or are more polite than me and not bothered to post how much you disliked them? I thought their set (at the Globe in Norwalk, CT) was rather annoying. Too bad Brian Dewan hasn't been seen recently. I wonder what he's been doing lately... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-258 ******************************