Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-259 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 259 Sunday, 22 September 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG humor.... Re: TMBG humor.... Re: Humor & TMBG Mr. Flippy...new and improved Re: TMBG humor.... Re: Misc. T, & FS in UK I GOT EM Re: Sacrifice! Yeah! yeah! Heh heh! Re: life is good - tmbg on radio Linnell and more! Mono Puff, posters, etc. Re: Ft. Wayne Re: O Do Not Forsake Me Re: Linnell and more! Linnell Unsupervised Re: Linnell and more! Re:Everything on this list lately RE: Misc. T, & FS in UK Re: Everything on this list lately Re: Linnell and more! Re: Linnell and more! Good-bye, and good-night... Re: Linnell and more! Birdhouse Lyrics TMBG on TV Bye Bye records Linnell and more! Linnell on American Bandstand? Re: Linnell and more! kabalas! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 23:06:46 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: TMBG humor.... Someone asked about funny TMBG stuff, about the funniest thing I ever read was on one of the TMBG pages, (most likely Leo's) which I think Flans wrote. It was called 'useful phrases for a european tour' and is a must have for te dorm room walls. -Josh jwh@u.arizona.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 03:00:13 -0400 From: Amy/Seta Subject: Re: TMBG humor.... One of the funniest things I ever read was also on this list. It was sent a month or two ago, it was the Things I Learned From ID4. I don't mind the humor things that are posted, some of them are kool :) AmY At 11:06 PM 9/20/96 -0700, you wrote: >Someone asked about funny TMBG stuff, about the funniest thing I ever read >was on one of the TMBG pages, (most likely Leo's) which I think Flans >wrote. It was called 'useful phrases for a european tour' and is a must >have for te dorm room walls. > >-Josh > >jwh@u.arizona.edu > > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Humor & TMBG From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 03:11:26 EDT On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:58:46 -0400 Will Nunn writes: >Seeing as there have been all the discussions lately as a result of >all the >wonderful (hack, hack cough... sorry.. must be a hair ball or >something) >forwarded mail and chain letters, I was wondering if any of you have >any >collections or just single examples of jokes involving TMBG (now this >is a >long sentence.. whew). I would like to put a collection of such humor >on my >webpage/FTP site. I also think it would be downright fun to have some >of >this stuff passed around on the mailing list. Well, if you wanted to see this sort of thing, you could check out a whole 1/3 of my tmbg page, The Hall Of Heads, at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ It includes such interesting things as why Flood is cursed, Tracy Grazioli's really supercool top ten lists (for all you list-of-old type people), and some parodies of tmbg songs or parodies relating to tmbg. But do whatever you want. I will remind you, though, I've gotten these people's permission to use the stuff on my page... On thing to note, The Hall Of Heads just broke 1000 hits. I know it's not much compared to most, but I am proud. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 03:59:45 -0400 From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Mr. Flippy...new and improved Hi all... It is time once again for the shamless plug of Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour. But this time, it is not ordinary request to look at a simple web page. Mr. Flippy has expanded! The TMBG page now includes up-to-date news about the band, and a sound gallery featuring sound bites of songs and stage chatter from live performances. Also, you can find an excellent quality, full length version of Older taken from a live recording. If you haven't heard this song yet, now's your chance, so go get it! There is also a page which contains weird literary finds. If you missed Sam & Randy, they are back in full force there, along with other written works that will boggle your mind. So go and visit Mr. Flippy at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy and make your life a happier place to be. Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy sanitized for your protection ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 09:17:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG humor.... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Sep-96 Re: TMBG humor.... by Amy/Seta@spectra.net > sent a month or two ago, it was the Things I Learned From ID4. I don't mind > the humor things that are posted, some of them are kool :) AmY The point isn't whether they're funny or "kool" or not. The point is that this, for one, is a mailing list, and is, therefore, immune to spam and other such things. It should stay more or less on topic because the people subscribed to it are actually vaguely interested in TMBG, right? Whereas in the newsgroup, people can post to it without even knowing they're posting to it. If you want the humor, subscribe to a humor mailing list, or find a www humor archive - there are several. But this is a TMBG list. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 15:08:27 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Misc. T, & FS in UK On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > UK release of FS.... > > [crying into his coffee] > > I spoke to the press dept. at Warners today and was told emphatically that > there is no planned date of release for either FS or a single of any > description. Now I don't know if this was a wind-up or not, but they seemed > pretty sure about it. Backed up by a very kind person at HMV who said there > was nothing slated for release before mid-October. I asked in either HMV or Virgin Megastore a while ago, and they both said that they had no information about it coming out. What are the chances of a UK tour when they don't even release the album over here? Mark ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 11:46:28 CST Subject: I GOT EM Well, I did it. I now have in my possesion 2 tickets to the Oct. 24 Ft. Wayne Show. WHOEEE!!!!!! There would have been more, but that's all I could afford. (once again, the effects of evil corporate america.) Actually they weren't hard to get at all. Everyone there was buying tickets for The Who. I didn't know they were touring? And in fact I met a girl who was buying tickets for Marilyn Manson in Chicago, so I guess they won. It is a travesty, but some people just don't know what's good. So if someone wants to take me up on the chance to go see Them in Ft. Wayne now is your chance! Anyone? Anyone? Thanks by the way to Melissa, I understand you tried. Maybe another time. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:57:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Sacrifice! Yeah! yeah! Heh heh! > >> immortal god- linnell but MURDER??? (we sre not Mayans, the linnell god is >> not displeased and no human sacrifice, OK?) > >But human sacrifice is so gosh darn FUN!!! > >Unfair. I wanna sacrifice someone... Remember, I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice. :) Let's see who gets that one... >Hmmm... reminds me of Buckaroo Bonzai's journey into the 8th Dimension >(or something like that) There were all these aliens on earth and to >most people the looked liked regular people and they were all named John. > >Hmmm.... all the aliens were named John... >Both the Johns are named John.... > >New conspiracy theory anyone? :) Didn't we already determine that JL is, in fact, an alien? More evidence! Whoopee! > >> I'd also like to take the time to say O' Do Not Forsake Me is an awesome song. >> It rocks > >It's strange, it's out of place, it's not even the Johns, but DAMN I just can't help >but love that song! I still think that the JF-vocal version is infinitely better. >On to a new conversation, I just got a promo FS, and, well, where's the >accordian? The same place as the mandolin on the new REM album. >OK, so sure, we all have our own opinions about Unsupervised, but 3 months >down the track it gets a bit old... Can we cut the Mono Puff guff? Well, I >reckon we should anyway. Yeah, and while we're at it we should stop discussing The Pink Album, Lincoln, Flood, Misc T, Apollo 18 and John Henry...after all, they're even older. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 13:32:44 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: life is good - tmbg on radio On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > On my way to the office for an evening rendezvous with tedium, I just heard > SEXXY on the lame "alternative" radio station from Indianapolis (you'll see > why I say that, perhaps). After it was over, the DJ said, "That song sounded kinda > sexy, kinda funky, huh? In fact, that's its name: Sexxy [sic], new from They > Might Be Giants. The calls are already pouring in, saying, 'That song rules, > keep it on the playlist.' Sexxy, by They Might Be Giants - let us know > what you think. Here's the new Metallica..." > Ewww...they played TMBG on X103? It was probably that awful Madison Taylor (I can't stand her.). That radio station has like three songs that they play incessantly. Last summer they played that "Black Hole Sun" song by Soundgarded, and something by Soul Asylum non-stop. They also have their token "Hep alternative songs from the '80's", like "Under the Milky Way Tonight" by the Church, and a couple of others. Unfortunately for us, that is the only "alternative" station to listen to in Indy, unless you live in Carmel. Oh well, at least they're playing TMBG...I really wonder how many of the locals called to "keep it on the playlist" because S.E.X.X.Y "rules." I wonder what their response would have been to, say, oh, Birdhouse, or Don't Let's Start. Probably not as responsive. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 08:53:38 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Linnell and more! I just wanted to say that I have rediscovered State Songs, and have been listening to it several times I day for the past three weeks... South Carolina ROCKS! If anyone hasn't heard mr. Linnel's work, equip yourself with a copy. Now on to a (hopefully fresh) discussion topic. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When you have been a TMBG fan for a while, it is easy for you to tell which John is singing what. It is easy to tell them apart, even in harmonies like "Kiss me son of God" and "Sleeping in the Flowers." But when I bought Their albums for the first time, I couldn't tell which John was which, especially on Istanbul. Other new fans seem to be unable to make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone else confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? If this has happened to you, would you say it's a gradual thing, or something that hits you in the face? Comments from a newer fan on this list, who hasn't reached the point of recognition yet? Talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic... discuss. Sarah Cooke She's going the distance, she's going for speed... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:32:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Mono Puff, posters, etc. > > OK, so sure, we all have our own opinions about Unsupervised, but 3 months > down the track it gets a bit old... Can we cut the Mono Puff guff? Well, I > reckon we should anyway. FIrst of all, I have no problem at all with discussing Mono Puff, as I think it's certainly related to this list, but I think the reason there's been a resurgence in talking about it lately is because a lot of people are just returning to school (and e-mail) after the summer, so this is the first chance they've had to talk about it. Or maybe I was dropped on my head too many times as a child, I dunno. Just a thought. Speaking of Mono Puff, I saw this promo poster in my friendly (not really) local music store yesterday--it had all three band members on it and I had to look at the thing for a few seconds before I finally recognized Flans. No, he didn't have the beard like in the Devil video, but he just looked strange. Clean-shaven, no glasses, kinda looked like he had a headache or something. I should have seen if they'd sell it to me. Oh well. Speaking of posters, though, I did find a TMBG poster last night at a different music store, which was particularly exciting because I've never been able to find one before. It had the Lincoln cover art on it. It's mine now. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 14:04:42 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Ft. Wayne On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, JOHANNA JONES wrote: > I need advice. What would you do in this situation? I've as far as > I know got the opportunity to buy tickets for the Ft. Wayne show. > They're going to go fast most likely given the Hootie factor, so if > I'm going to but them I have to buy them right away. But I'm not > completely sure if I'm going to have transportation there. > Should I but the tickets? I think I should. But I'm risking a > good deal of money here. What do I do? What do I do? I know there > are a lot of you who think I'm out of my mind, spending too much > money on a show that I might not get to see. But there are also > those of you just like me who would do ANYTHING to see the Johns. > Hell, Id pay $50 to see them. Should I do it? Should I? > I personnaly would not. Now that I realize that that's a hootie show, I don't want to go. My advice, wait until the Factory Showroom tour and go to Ohio like I probably will to see Them. Think about it- Hootie is a frat band, and so by playing in a college town (dont' forget that their is a branch of IU up there too) they're going to attract a lot of people who don't want to see Them. I say, wait until They come somewhere where its just Them. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 96 15:15 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: O Do Not Forsake Me > >"Andreas Baeuchle" wrote: > >> I'd also like to take the time to say O' Do Not Forsake Me is an awesome song. >> It rocks > And Matt wrote: >It's strange, it's out of place, it's not even the Johns, but DAMN I just can't help >but love that song! It's also fun to sing along to. And while I'm on the subject, "Extra Savoir-Faire" is really fun to lip-synch to while dancing around the kitchen doing dishes. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 96 15:39 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Linnell and more! I've been thinking about >this a lot lately. When you have been a TMBG fan for a while, it is easy >for you to tell which John is singing what. It is easy to tell them apart, >even in harmonies like "Kiss me son of God" and "Sleeping in the Flowers." >But when I bought Their albums for the first time, I couldn't tell which >John was which, especially on Istanbul. Other new fans seem to be unable >to make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone >else confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? We-ell, it took me a while to figure out who sang what, but when I finally got the list of who sings what, I discovered that most of my guesses were right. I don't really remember when I first realized what each John sounded like, but somehow I did. Kind of an instinctual thing, I guess. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Linnell Unsupervised Date: Sat, 21 Sep 96 15:45:32 18000 Just a simple question, maybe a stupid one. On the upper left corner of the Mono Puff CD case of Unsupervised, is that Linnell holding the word "UN" ? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: John Murray Subject: Re: Linnell and more! Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 15:50:36 -0400 (EDT) > We-ell, it took me a while to figure out who sang what, but when I > finally got the list of who sings what, I discovered that most of my > guesses were right. I don't really remember when I first realized what > each John sounded like, but somehow I did. Kind of an instinctual thing, > I guess. ;) Well I belive that it was seeing them in concert that made make the connect between who had which voice. I just sorta relized I had this skill lately as I have been sharing TMBG with my roomate, and he actully likes them! ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:53:49 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re:Everything on this list lately I am a fairly new member on this list, and I'd like to through my two cents into it. 1. About the chain mail letters and jokes. Sure they are unnescessary and people hate them. They do take up room. So does the dozen or so letters that people send to the list flaming about it. One letter to the list, one to the supervisor, problem dealt with, on to the next subject. 2. Mono Puff seems a very pertinent pesuit om this list. After all when we all talk about Them, we are really talking about John and John. Well Flans is one of the Johns, and so talking about his life and career away from TMBG is what we want to hear also, just open some minds and doors to more experience, is all that I ask. 3. (And final) I have been listening to Them for about five years now (maybe more) but I have yet to see Them in concert. I still don't know who sings what on the albums. I would guess that it does have something to do with going to concerts, or being who sung what songs for a large portion of songs, because otherwise, you would have nothing to compare them to. Makes sense? Well that's my experience anyway :) SJL ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 96 20:30:36 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Misc. T, & FS in UK >Misc. T and DLS comp. are the same except that "Hello Radio" is missing from >DLS, and because of that, DLS on DLS (confused yet? ;)) is track 1 and so >the untitled track is still in its rightful place of 13. What ? (Promptly has nervous breakdown!) Errr, what exactly is "Hello Radio" ? This is a track, right ? You are certainly right - there is no "Hello Radio" on DLS. I think I want to call my lawyer on this one ...... >I spoke to the press dept. at Warners today and was told emphatically that >there is no planned date of release for either FS or a single of any >description. > >Perhaps if enough people call Warners they just might be persuaded to >rethink this ludicrous injustice and give us FS on Oct. 7th??? > >The number is 0171-937 8844 - ask for the press dept. and ask them when FS >is coming out. You bet I'm going to call them! I presume "S-E-X-X-Y" is suffering the same "not on our release list" problem. Elektra SUCK! This record label do not have a clue! What'll happen is that all the TMBG fans will buy on import, then when Elektra finally get off their corporate arses and release it, it'll end up in the bargain bins cos anyone who ever wanted a copy has already gone out and got one. And Elektra wonder why They don't make the charts in the UK these days. BTW, I don't recall all this release date nonsense for "John Henry". I remember seeing an advert for it in Q Magazine (back in my pre-Net days) two weeks before it came out, and "Snail Shell" seemed to have a pretty similar UK/US release date. Anyone without a memory like a sieve remember this far back ? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Everything on this list lately Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:59:07 -0400 (EDT) > 1. About the chain mail letters and jokes. Sure they are unnescessary > and people hate them. They do take up room. So does the dozen or so letters > that people send to the list flaming about it. One letter to the list, one > to the supervisor, problem dealt with, on to the next subject. Here here. I do take care of these things when I see them, and it's rare we ever have a repeat offender. Please just ignore the junk mail, I will take action as approprate. > 2. Mono Puff seems a very pertinent pesuit om this list. After all > when we all talk about Them, we are really talking about John and John. Well > Flans is one of the Johns, and so talking about his life and career away from > TMBG is what we want to hear also, just open some minds and doors to more > experience, is all that I ask. The revisions to www.tmbg.org are nearly done. The people working on it have signed off on all but one section. I really think we'll have the new version in place by the end of the month. This will allow us to turn some attention to the monopuff site (which few people know about, which is good, because it is all bad). This may lead to the creation of a monopuff mailing list if I think there is enough discussion. As long as the monopuff volume is pretty low I think throwing it in with the tmbg list isn't a bad idea. > 3. (And final) I have been listening to Them for about five years > now (maybe more) but I have yet to see Them in concert. I still don't know > who sings what on the albums. I would guess that it does have something to > do with going to concerts, or being who sung what songs for a large portion > of songs, because otherwise, you would have nothing to compare them to. Makes > sense? Well that's my experience anyway :) If you look at the songs on http://www.tmbg.org/ you'll see we try to list who sings them. Also there is a list somewhere (I know there's a pointer on the web site or in the FAQ) called "Who sings what" designed just to answer this sort of question. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:46:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Linnell and more! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Sep-96 Linnell and more! by Sarah Cooke@pixi.com > to make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone > else confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? > If this has happened to you, would you say it's a gradual thing, or Until you know which is which, both their voices sound exactly the same. Once you know, they sound completely different. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 20:58:24 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Linnell and more! >Now on to a (hopefully fresh) discussion topic. I've been thinking about >this a lot lately. When you have been a TMBG fan for a while, it is easy >for you to tell which John is singing what. It is easy to tell them apart, >even in harmonies like "Kiss me son of God" and "Sleeping in the Flowers." Here's my experience. It seems to generally echo most fans'. When I started out, the voices sounded exactly the same. Then I got ahold of the CLOWSWFTMBG, and tried to use that list to tell the difference. I still couldn't. Then, I saw one TMBG TV exposure (House of Blues I think) and immediately I could tell who sang what. It's really a matter of imagining Them singing the songs in person. If it sounds like the person is singing through his teeth (not opening his mouth much) it's probably Flans, while Linnell seems to open his craw enough to swallow the microphone with each word. Just my $0.02. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 21:01:32 -0500 (EST) From: BLACKHAWK Subject: Good-bye, and good-night... It's been a long day. I leave ya'll with a little ditty to remember me by. {{What a wonderful World}}. I depart from the list. And thus concludes our broadcast day... Brother John Blackhawk :> "You know it's been on my mind, could I stand right here look myself in the eye and say that it's over now." Alice in Chains Over Now "Make a little birdhouse in your soul." THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS "I'm going but I need a little time, I promised I would drown myself in mysticated wine." The Doors Yes, the River Knows "I don't want to live in this world anymore, I don't want to live in this world. DON'T DON'T DON'T Let's start, To believe for all the world that your my precious little girl but DON'T DON'T DON'T let's start, I've got a weak heart and I don't get around how you get around." They Might Be Giants "And here's the reason why. Why. WHY!" They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 21:27:38 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: Linnell and more! > We-ell, it took me a while to figure out who sang what, but when I > finally got the list of who sings what, I discovered that most of my > guesses were right. I don't really remember when I first realized what > each John sounded like, but somehow I did. Kind of an instinctual thing, > I guess. ;) I still have trouble on some songs, but usually I can tell through this simple method: Flansburgh is the nasal one. Linnell(spelled right) is the really nasal one. I still haven't looked at the Who SIngs What list, but someday I plan to see how many songs I guessed right on. And BTW, I've never seen a TMBG video where flansburgh is singing. Strange. -- "And I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky And the moon has turned red over one tree hill"-U2 Jonah ------------------------------ Subject: Birdhouse Lyrics From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 21:58:08 EDT If anyone has any alternative lyrics to Birdhouse (parodies, concert lyrics, dial-a-song, ect.), could you please send them to me? Thanks. -Justin P.S. I finally got this Juno thing working! No more digest! +++++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG on TV From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 21:58:08 EDT There has been talk about the Larry Sanders show and House Of Blues, but does anyone know when they will actually air? And does anyone know if they will do any talk shows (Leno, ect.) when the new album comes out? BTW- I spell checked my last message with Juno and it wanted to replace "org" (3rd line of .sig) with orgy. Coincidence? +++++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:27:53 -0400 From: Peter May Subject: Bye Bye Dear TMBG-Listers: I wish deeply to apologize for the chain letter I sent to this list. I now realize I must leave this list in disgrace and proceed to the fiery depths of Hell. So long TriOmen ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:59:07 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: records I just got back from a huge record sale put on by Hawaii Public Radio. No Space Songs, no TMBG. I did see a lot of stuff by the Longines Symphonette, and I bought the incredible "Music of Cosmos" record. Sarah Cooke She's going the distance, she's going for speed... ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:59:57 -0400 Subject: Linnell and more! << Until you know which is which, both their voices sound exactly the same. Once you know, they sound completely different. This is quite true! I hate to open a can of worms, though, but there's one song that I disagree with the "who sings what" list on--"Stormy Pinkness." The list says Flans sings it, but I still swear it's Linnell! Let the Great Stormy Pinkness debate begin, Kay ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 23:41:00 -0400 Subject: Linnell on American Bandstand? Okay, when I was channel surfing talking to Josh on the phone (and this is how he can back me up on this, because I told him to turn it, and I think he agreed...), i came across American Bandstand on VH1. Bryan Adams was on (LOL! I thought it was David Spade at first! :D) , and his guitar player looked none other than mr. Linnell himself! I couldn't believe it. And Josh can tell you how I couldn't get over it, can't ya Josh. :) even the HAIR!!! The guy had Linnell's HAIR!! -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 00:47:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Birdlace Subject: Re: Linnell and more! On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Jonah wrote: > I still have trouble on some songs, but usually I can tell through > this simple method: Flansburgh is the nasal one. Linnell(spelled > right) is the really nasal one. I think Flansburgh is the more nasally one. And I don't know if anyone has said this before, but doesn't Flans sounds a lot like weird Al sometimes? Oh yeah, and if there's anyone who's in VA and knows how to get to the Mayo island t, oh oops. i guess its too late to ask for directions. O well! Ellen "And though I once preferred a human being's company, They pale before the monolith that towers over me." They Might Be Giants*new album*Factory Showroom*Oct 8 ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 00:21:17 CST Subject: kabalas! HEEEYYY YOUOOOOOO GUUUUUUYYYYYYYSSSSSSS! (remember that? electric company? there's a change of pitch in the middle to be exact, but you know how it is) The Kabalas! They were at my school tonight and they rocked! Their a polka band and I swear the singer looked like Linnel and the drummer like Flans! I got to talk to the singer after the show and he said he was a fan of the Giants way back in the day when they first started out and they wore the turbans. He mentioned that he hated being compared to Wierd Al. It was quite an experience that I would highly recommend. I didn't have any money though, so I couldn't buy their cd. So if you can, look out for them! YEEHAH!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-259 ******************************