Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-260 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 260 Monday, 23 September 1996 Today's Topics: yo' mail Spiralling Shape (fwd) Who sings what 'Kiss Me, Voice of John' (and Linnell Unsupervised) Stupid Radio Stations (none) who sings what, etc. voices Barenaked ladies Re: Linnell and more! Stormy Pinkness and Who Sings What Re: TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TMBG Factory Showroom and it's vast goodness Re: Stormy Pinkness and Who Sings What Re: The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TMBG Re: Stupid Radio Stations Re: Linnell and more! Shameless Plug III: Son Of Shameless Plug Re: Re : Linnell Unsupervised OMP Re: The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TM Factory Showroom Album Cover Edison Edison 'I Can Hear You' at Edison Countdown to Instruction Flans w/ a beard?!! screen door slams shut Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 02:24:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: yo' mail Spiralling Shape (fwd) I think this is the best one yet. You know, everyone _does_ want to see that groovy watermellon. % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % Down, waaay down, waaay down ya' go, No way t'stop. As ya' fall, here me call, No, no, no. Listen t'dis warnin' and, Consida' dese, Simple wo'ds, uh advice, Stop, stop, stop. Foggin' de view, Cuppin' face t'de window, In darkness ya' make out some Spirallin' Shape. What it is, Mama! Puttin' all reason aside, You's 'shange whut ya' gots Fo' some din' dat's hypnotic and strange. What it is, Mama! De Spirallin' Shape gots'ta make ya' go insane (Everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat groovy wahtahmellun) But everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat groovy wahtahmellun, (Everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat wahtahmellun.) And nobody knows whut it's really likes, But everyone says it's great. And dey heard it fum de Spiral in deir eye (Spiral in deir eye. What it is, Mama!) Dis could lead t'excellence, Or serious injury. Slap mah fro! Only one way t'know, Go, go, go. Go a'haid and wreck yo' life, Dat might be baaaad. Who kin say whut's wrong o' right? Nobody kin. Put out yo' hands as ya' fall drough de window, And clawin' at nodin' ya' fall drough de floo', Yo' terrified screams are inaudible, Drowned in de Sprial a'haid and consumed in de Shape. What it is, Mama! De Spirallin' Shape wid make ya' go insane! (Everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat groovy wahtahmellun!) But everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat groovy wahtahmellun! (Everyone be hankerin' aftah see dat wahtahmellun!) And now dat ya''ve tried it, Youse bound t'repo't, Dat da damn Spirallin' Shape wuz some fraud and some fake! You's dun didn't enjoy it, ya''ll neva' believe it, Dere won't be some refund, ya''ll neva' go back! De Spirallin' shape gots'ta make ya' go Insane! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Mo'e dinkin'. We are sheeit challenged mah' little-ass homey." smelliot@falstaff. Peace.ucs.indiana. Sheeeiit.edu -De Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ========= greetin' JIBE at da Department uh Computa' Science, University uh Zurich ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:45:44 -0400 Subject: Who sings what I found that at first, I coulnd't, for the life of me, tell their voices apart. Then I saw them in concert, and a miracle occured. I finally could!!! What joy! What rapture! Maybe it's because I basked in the glow of the Johns, and breathed some of their air, but it's most likely that once you see them an d hear them, at the same time, you can put a face to the voice, and naming which is which becomes easier. Wow, what a long run-on sentence!! Princess ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:12:54 -0400 Subject: 'Kiss Me, Voice of John' (and Linnell Unsupervised) I believe this too... When I first started to really get into TMBG, I thought only one of them sung, becuse to me, it was the same voice. I couldn't understand how anyone could tell the Johns' voices apart. Then I got the "Who sings what" list, and was amazed they both sung. Now, it's effortless to figure out who's singing. It just takes some time, I guess. >>Just a simple question, maybe a stupid one. On the upper left corner of the Mono Puff CD case of Unsupervised, is that Linnell holding the word "UN<< LOL!! ROTFLOL!! I thought it was too, but I figured since it wasn't brought up on the list, it must not have been! :D It does look like him. Who knows? -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Smile! It's free!" - Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:49:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Stupid Radio Stations Hey. I live in Pittsburgh, I have posted to the list a couple times before. I just wanted to tell my little TMBG related story about the local radio station which happened this morning. WXDX Pittsburgh-(The X) is the local "alternative" station. I had never been able to get through and talk to one of the DJs, but this morning I tried again. I got through and asked the DJ if she had the new TMBG single, and if she did, would she play it. She said "Oh, I haven't seen it. I don't think we have it, but I will keep my eye out." so...I said OK...and that was that. About 20 min. later I decided to call back. I am one of those pitiful people who has never heard a TMBG song on the radio. So, I called and said "Hi, I called a little bit ago about TMBG... I was wondering...Can you play ANY song by TMBG? I have never heard them on here." and she said: "oh...ummm... We don't play them on here...I remember one time...on 'prehistoric X' (I think that is what she said the show was called) we played Don't Start (that is what she called it!!! siiiiigh)" I said "welll...come on! there have been a lot of albums since then!" she said "Oh...yea...I am just being honest...I don't think we have any of their stuff in the studio..." Well...siiigh...I am heartbroken :) anyway...that is my little radio station story, apparantly I won't hear TMBG on that station any time soon... Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ From: bean@intergate.bc.ca Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 10:31:05 -0700 (PDT) hi folks. sorry to burden you with my lack of knowledge. silly question? where do i get a copy of this 'who sings what' list?? many thanks. -b ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:14:29 -0700 Subject: who sings what, etc. owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I just wanted to say that I have rediscovered State Songs, and have been > listening to it several times I day for the past three weeks... South > Carolina ROCKS! If anyone hasn't heard mr. Linnel's work, equip yourself > with a copy. How CAN I get a copy of that? > Now on to a (hopefully fresh) discussion topic. I've been thinking about > this a lot lately. When you have been a TMBG fan for a while, it is easy > for you to tell which John is singing what. It is easy to tell them apart, > even in harmonies like "Kiss me son of God" and "Sleeping in the Flowers." > But when I bought Their albums for the first time, I couldn't tell which > John was which, especially on Istanbul. Other new fans seem to be unable > to make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone > else confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? > If this has happened to you, would you say it's a gradual thing, or > something that hits you in the face? Comments from a newer fan on this > list, who hasn't reached the point of recognition yet? I still get them mixed up occassionally, but there is just a certain point you pass, either from watching them live or just listening to them constantly, where you just KNOW. It's a very gnostic experience. > It's also fun to sing along to. And while I'm on the subject, > "Extra Savoir-Faire" is really fun to lip-synch to while dancing around > the kitchen doing dishes. And it's a fun tango! I know this song is not as well-liked as most others, but I just have to say that this is one of my favorite TMBG songs! And yes, I agree with whomever said that Flans sometimes sounds like Wierd Al. There are times when I think each of them completely by-passes their throat and sings directly through their nose. Matt "You can try to copy me, but you'll FAIL." ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: voices Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 13:45:34 -0400 (EDT) About the topic Sarah Cooke brought up, I would agree that it is a gradual thing to be able to discern the John's voices. There are some songs where you just know who's singing, it's pretty apparent. But there seem to be some songs (that I can't think of right now) where you just can't tell who's singing, especially if you havne';t heard the song very many times. I had a hell of a time figuring out who was singing on many songs when I first started listening and even a while after that. It seems to generally happen when they are not using their "normal" voice when singing but put on some weirder voice and a different one. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Barenaked ladies Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 14:24:28 -0400 (EDT) Hi, Tomorrow morning on 99.1 WHFS Washington-Baltimore the Barnaked Ladies will be in their studio performing on the morning show. I've never heard any songs by em but if I get a chance I'll try and tape it. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:42:12 -0400 Subject: Re: Linnell and more! xBut when I bought Their albums for the first time, I couldn't tell which xJohn was which, especially on Istanbul. Other new fans seem to be unable xto make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone xelse confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? xIf this has happened to you, would you say it's a gradual thing, or xsomething that hits you in the face? :::Smack!::: I used to be convinced there was no way to tell the Johns' voices apart. The WSW list didn't help, either. I saw them 3 times in concert before I was finally close enough to see who was singing what (stupid lawn seats!). Now it's obvious, even for songs I didn't see them perform. Kinda spooky. But even now, I still doubt there's another band with two singers who sound so similar. --Christy ------------------------------ From: StarlingV@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:47:58 -0400 Subject: Stormy Pinkness and Who Sings What I think "Stormy Pinkness" is John Flansburgh at his best, both lyrically and vocally. He sounds a bit different on this tune than on most others, which might explain some folks' (Kay, for instance) mistaking him for John Linnell. >From: Lawrence P Solomon >Until you know which is which, both their voices sound exactly the same. >Once you know, they sound completely different. This observation seems paradoxical yet is entirely true! I had exactly the same experience earlier this year - - had a sort of John F./John L. epiphany, and from that point on could automatically hear the difference between their two vocal styles. So I think Sarah (Cooke) is absolutely right, it is indeed a phenomenon. Can't wait till Oct.8th: Factory Showroom! -Janis ============== Janis Van Court America Online: "Where passion is squandered and money is spent." (EC) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 16:07:12 -0400 (EDT) From: La hija de Groove Subject: Re: TMBG at the House of Blues - 9/19/96 > I'm curious: the Candy Butchers have gotten some good reviews from other > list members who have seen them live. Have most of you enjoyed them as > much, or are more polite than me and not bothered to post how much you > disliked them? I thought their set (at the Globe in Norwalk, CT) was > rather annoying. Too bad Brian Dewan hasn't been seen recently. I wonder > what he's been doing lately... I have seen the Candy Butchers open for TMBG twice. I liked them a lot the first time, except for the crowd participation song (you don't say, you wouldn't say...). I liked them the second time, but not as much. I have, however, acquired a copy of Live at The Bonbonniere, and it is much more whiny-poppy than they sound live. I guess this doesn't really say much but I thought I'd interject.---Nola ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 16:21:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TMBG Ben or Been here. I procured two copies of the Mono Puff promotional poster, with Flans and the long-haired Meat-Puppet-looking guy sleeping at a burger joint, and the other guy I think chomping on a donut standing above them, smiling at his awakedness. I got them at the local Record Exchange in Winston-Salem, NC. They give away their posters free with any purchase. Anyone interested in getting a Mono Puff poster might want to ask a store that sells Mono Puff whether they have the posters. I think Record Exchange had more posters than CD's they sold, so the store might have several posters of which they might be able to give up one. Who knows. Just a suggesty, Ben or Been PS--Someone mentioned the video for "The Devil Went Down To Newport" with Flans in a beard. Did MTV ever play the video? How did you see this video? Where? How often does it play, and when? Questions, Questions! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 16:31:37 -0400 (EDT) From: La hija de Groove Subject: Factory Showroom and it's vast goodness I have had a copy of Factory Showroom for almost a week now, and I think it's time to comment. I really like it, although it is a leap from their other albums. If some of you had a problem with John Henry, I predict some bitching about this one too. They are using a lot more "instruments" on this one (I know they are mostly computerized). S-E-X-X-Y is AWESOME, particularly because of the disco thang they got going on. I won't comment on all of them individually, except I will say that I do not like The Bells Are Ringing. Till My Head Falls Off has that "fun factor" that we are so fond of. And hello, can you say drug reference in Spiraling Shape? Yes, I think you can. But that's a-okay. Just FYI, I'm putting SEXXY, Till My Head Falls Off, Metal Detector, New York City, XTC vs Adam Ant, Spiraling Shape, and James K. Polk into rotation at WTSR, Towson State's AM radio station, so if any TSU students are in this list, keep your ears open starting the week of the 29th, because you are very likely to hear one of these songs. Comparisons with Unsupervised: both produced by Pat Dillett, and same package designer person, or whatvere you call it. In the CD is just says "design by" blah blah. I didn't get the full multi-page insert though, because it's just a promo. Sorry for the long message! Nola ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:10:33 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Stormy Pinkness and Who Sings What On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 StarlingV@aol.com wrote: > I think "Stormy Pinkness" is John Flansburgh at his best, both lyrically and > vocally. He sounds a bit different on this tune than on most others, which > might explain some folks' (Kay, for instance) mistaking him for John Linnell. I could tell it was Flansburgh.....but that is one of his best songs. Of course, it is an *old* song. I'm hoping it's on the box set. > >From: Lawrence P Solomon > > >Until you know which is which, both their voices sound exactly the same. > >Once you know, they sound completely different. > > This observation seems paradoxical yet is entirely true! I had exactly the > same experience earlier this year - - had a sort of John F./John L. epiphany, > and from that point on could automatically hear the difference between their > two vocal styles. So I think Sarah (Cooke) is absolutely right, it is > indeed a phenomenon. Uh, I didn't have that problem, but I have an ear for voices (Radio does that to you). > Can't wait till Oct.8th: Factory Showroom! Can't say that I'm so anxious..... -Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:12:46 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TMBG On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > PS--Someone mentioned the video for "The Devil Went Down To Newport" with > Flans in a beard. Did MTV ever play the video? How did you see this > video? Where? How often does it play, and when? Questions, Questions! Flans does have a beard, and it appears to be fake. MTV has played it on 120 minutes a grand total of, count 'em, two times. For some reason, the video didn't seem to fit the song, IMHO. It was also badly edited. -Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 17:39 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Stupid Radio Stations >I got through and asked the DJ if she had the new TMBG single, and if she >did, would she play it. She said "Oh, I haven't seen it. I don't think we >have it, but I will keep my eye out." so...I said OK...and that was that. That's about what happened to me. I called our local college station and asked if they had the new They Might Be Giants single. Mystified silence. "Um... I don't *think* so... We do have some of their old stuff." So I requested "Absolutely Bill's Mood" and they didn't play it. I'm sure they have the pink album, too, because they played "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die" last year. :( Kirsten (who is pouting) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Linnell and more! From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:01:06 EDT On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:42:12 -0400 Christi587@aol.com writes: >But >even now, I still doubt there's another band with two singers who >sound so >similar. Ween... I have no idea who singing what there, but then, I haven't tried... and they have those silly voices... Am I right in assuming both Dean and Gene sing? Then there is the Beatles... it is overly obvious with them and has been since I first saw A Hard Days Night... But when your five and you've just discovered the greatest band in the world, there's no telling... That's all I can think of but I'm sure that there's some more... way down deep inside me... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:59:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Shameless Plug III: Son Of Shameless Plug Hi! Well, Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour has just been updated and expanded even further, making it the indispensable web page for people on the go! You can enter the TMBG sound gallery and hear an entire live version of their new song "Older", among other fun things. And on top of that there's tons more stuff to see and do. I hope you go there. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy As well, I was requested by ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall to send him some of the stories you can find on this page, since he does not surf the web much, and when he responds as to what he thought I will tell all of you. But you can read them all here, on this page! On this topic of sending various forms of humour to the list, I have from time to time sent material which was of this nature and I felt justified in doing so, and I will continue to feel justified in doing so because I legitimately believe I chose the material carefully so as to make it of great interest to tmbg fans. I hope you all agree. MIKE'S INJURY OF THE WEEK: Yesterday I sliced my left index finger with a serrated knife. Well, bye for now. And do visit my web page, please. Bring sandwiches, cause you'll be there a while. Mike. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 19:13:00 -0400 Subject: Re: Re : Linnell Unsupervised >>As there are three main members (John, Hal, Steve) of Monopuff, isn't it a fair guess that the three people you can see are the three band members. Anyone know what Hal and Steve look like ? I've never seen a proper picture. Maybe the "UN" guy is one of them ?<< Well, I have a pic of them, a tiny one, that accompanied an ad for the cd in Spin magazine a few moths back (and I put it in my jewel case along with the cardboard thing). It's the pic of the 3, and Flans has no glasses and is holding his head. Probably the one on the poster someone here said they saw. There's one guy (Sorry, I don't know which is Hal and which is Steve), who looks like it would probably be him. I'm talking about the guy in the middle, if you know the picture I'm talking about. It's probably *not* Linnell; sadly. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "To change would mean to make an effort" - Dave Foley, KITH ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: OMP Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:05:02 -0400 (EDT) Hiyas, I wanted to see if anyone knew who was singing the cover of One More Parade? It sounds like Linnell but in the beginning I was not sure. That song is totally awesome, but I have yet to hear the Phil Ochs version. As for FS, I find that I like it a lot more initially than I did John Henry. I can understand how (damn I can't remember the song name, the one that someone said sounds like Unrelated Thing) this song might sound like Unrelated Thing but I actually think it's a lot better than UT. Metal Detector is just a great, rockin throwback to the older Giants while SEXXY, Spiralling Shape, and a few others are definitely full band influenced songs that they just could not do before the full band arrived. Exsquisite Dead Guy does remind me of Moxy Fruvous, too. I really liked this album a heck of a lot when I first heard it! It's little, yellow, different, and it is great! Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: The Mono Puff Poster, which contains Flansburgh of TM Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:07:54 -0400 (EDT) > > On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > > > PS--Someone mentioned the video for "The Devil Went Down To Newport" with > > Flans in a beard. Did MTV ever play the video? How did you see this > > video? Where? How often does it play, and when? Questions, Questions! > > Flans does have a beard, and it appears to be fake. MTV has played it on > 120 minutes a grand total of, count 'em, two times. For some reason, the > video didn't seem to fit the song, IMHO. It was also badly edited. Monopuff seems to be in at least somewhat of a regular rotation on MTV2 if my guesses are correct. In an article in Rolling Stone, it mentions that this station (which actually plays music videos 24 hours around the clock) plays different songs like Monopuff (yes they explicitly stated Monopuff). It'll be a cold day in hell before we get MTV2, though. It seems it is slated for only huge class-C satelitte dishes and they are working on getting more satellite customers. It could be years before it comes to Cable. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Factory Showroom Album Cover From: themoesel@juno.com (Chris Moesel) Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:54:35 EDT Hello Friends, If anyone out there has Factory Showroom AND a scanner, how about putting the cover on the net. I would love some new wall-paper! Thanx. -Chris ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:28:14 -0400 Subject: Edison On "Factory Showroom," the song "I Can Hear You" was recorded at the Edison Labs. Was it recorded on Edison's original equipment? I don't quite understand... I got a promo copy of FS, and I have to say, it is great. "Bells" and "Until My Head Falls Off" are awesome, as are "Metal Detector," "NYC, " "Your Own Worst Enemy," and, God, well, damn near everything. SEXXY hasn't quite grown on me yet, though. Oh well, I'll give it time. Neal ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Edison Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:46:06 -0400 (EDT) > On "Factory Showroom," the song "I Can Hear You" was recorded at the Edison > Labs. Was it recorded on Edison's original equipment? I don't quite > understand... > I got a promo copy of FS, and I have to say, it is great. "Bells" and "Until > My Head Falls Off" are awesome, as are "Metal Detector," "NYC, " "Your Own > Worst Enemy," and, God, well, damn near everything. SEXXY hasn't quite grown > on me yet, though. Oh well, I'll give it time. > Neal I saw this spectacle first hand and it was damn cool. They did use Edison's original wax recording equipment as far as I know (Brooksie, Cort, this right?). They did use replica cylindars, though, from a company who makes them in England. I wish they had included the clapping at the end, that was cool and then I might have been able to say I was on a TMBG album ;) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:32:21 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: 'I Can Hear You' at Edison Hi everyone! This is cortney. I haven't posted to the list in a while, but I just saw something that I just *had* to respond to! Neal wrote to the list asking if 'I Can Hear You' was recorded on Edison's original equipment. Yes it was, in fact! I know this because I was lucky enough to witness this historic event! On April 27th of this year, TMBG held three recording sessions at the Edison Laboratories in West Orange, NJ. During each of these sessions, TMBG recorded three songs (for example, I Can Hear You, Maybe I Know, James K. Polk, and Edison Museum) on an original wax cylinder phonograph, invented by Thomas Edison himself! Some of the wax cylinders that They used were replicated, but They *did* record at least one on an original T. Edison cylinder which was over 100 years old! These sessions were awesome! The audience was small (probably about 25 people) and TMBG even held small Q&A sessions! I was also lucky enough to meet Them, but that's a whole different story! Anyway, you can check out the following web site for more info!: http://www.injersey.com/Media/IJFeatures/Edison/tmbg.html There were a couple listers besides myself who had the good fortune to attend this 'supercool' event (Brooksie, Matt James, Phil, Doug, etc.) We were *that* close to actually being on the album! : ) Anyway, hope that helps clear things up! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 04:03:58 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: Countdown to Instruction If I'm not mistaken it's less than 24 hrs untill the US release of the SEXXY single!!! WAHOOO!!!!! Alrighty then, Silly A ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 00:52:51 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Flans w/ a beard?!! For those of you who aren't lucky enough to have caught the Monopuff video on MTV, you can get a clip of Flanny with a beard either at the rykodisk page for Monopuff: http://www.rykodisc.com/3/features/monopuff/ Or you can get it at my new (and hopefully rappidly growing) Monopuff section of my FTP site: chesspiecface.res.wpi.edu/pub/monopuff/ Later peoples! Will... the still amature Freak. Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:27:15 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: screen door slams shut [Maybe this has been mentioned, I just joined the list a few days ago..] Letterman Regular Surrenders "XENIA, Ohio (AP) - A hippie who gained fame as a movie critic on "Late Show with David Letterman" and stands accused of violating probation on a marijuana conviction turned himself in to authorities Monday." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-260 ******************************