Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-261 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 261 Tuesday, 24 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: screen door slams shut Re: screen door slams shut tmbg fonts? australian release of s-e-x-x-y/fs Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 Re: Countdown to Instruction Mayo Island Is that an EYEBALL!? Linnell or Flans Mono Puff Guff fine with me BOBA MAIL: My struggle Boba Mail: Re: screen door slams shut TMBG Concert in Jacksonville Barenaked Ladies FW: FW: humor and forwards WHAT?!??! Spiralling Shape and FS cover Tour Date BOBA MAIL: Don't Let's Start BOBA Lyric plea The Dueling WTSRs Re: Factory Showroom Album Cover The Sun Re: Stupid Radio Stations Re: Linnell and more! Re: Factory Showroom Album Cover Re: Tour Date XTC Re: FW: FW: humor and forwards Address Error RE: Is that an EYEBALL!? RE: tmbg fonts? Why Will Sucks RE: FW: humor and forwards Today Is S-E-X-X-Y Day! RE: XTC ATTENTION: Matt Coon and the person who taped House of Blues!!! : ) Single (plus unrelated) Why I seem to suck. Re: screen door slams shut where's the "who sings what" list? sorry Some thoughts. Re: screen door slams shut WRNR XTC vs. Adam Ant I'm back! RE: XTC M2 (MTV2) And Others Albany show Spiralling Shape Singles, videos Re: Tour Date boot info? RE: XTC tmbg-list Digest #2-260 something Re: Some thoughts. + OAT In my vein, in my mind, in my chemistry I find... Re: Fwd: Linnell on American Bandstand? can someone please help me? Flans on the radio in Vegas Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:23:13 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Re: screen door slams shut On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Bob Gonsalves wrote: > [Maybe this has been mentioned, I just joined the list a few days ago..] > > Letterman Regular Surrenders > "XENIA, Ohio (AP) - A hippie who gained fame as a > movie critic on "Late Show with David Letterman" and > stands accused of violating probation on a marijuana > conviction turned himself in to authorities Monday." > O.K. if you're new, we forgive you, just don't ever send anything non-TMBG to the list ever again or we'll all come and trash your ouse/dorm/shack/whatever. Really, we mean it, none of this stupid 'gee, I thought everyone would like my forward/chain letter/useless fact/attempt at a life', it's really not appreciated here. Sorry, didn't mean to flame, just being slightly impolitely informative. By the way, where I am, it's only Sunday, a.k.a. more than twenty-four hours till the single, I'm so jealous of you east coasters getting everything sooner... -Josh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 02:58:21 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: Re: screen door slams shut Hi TMBGers! I just wanted to point out that, even though the 'hippie movie-critic from Letterman' news article may *seem* non-TMBG related, if you look close, you'll see that the story takes place in XENIA, Ohio! It's not irrelavant after all! So please don't flame anybody...besides, flaming goes against the good vibe of TMBG! Have a very They day! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 02:54:58 -0500 From: a boy with a crown and a sceptre? Subject: tmbg fonts? just out of curiosity, are there any tmbg fonts? i was just thinking it would be nice to write something in the misc. t. font... paul ------------------------------ Subject: australian release of s-e-x-x-y/fs Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:21:02 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" greetings, was wondering if anyone had any info on these release dates down here? i've called redback in wollongong who called elektra for me and have said that nothing (neither a single or an album) is being realsed for at least 4 weeks (i.e. both well after oct. 8). i called red eye in sydney who knew nothing about the single, but said theyll have the album on oct. 8 as an import though. a friend in melbourne said the album will be there on oct. 19. anyone else got any other versions of the story? tamara. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-257 Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:27:08 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" greetings, Someone called 'Earthy Rock' wrote : > As for S-E-X-X-Y... well I won't be able to get it for ages coz I live > in Australia!!! Apparently they don't even have it on their new release > lists or anything!!!! How disappointing... Can anyone else comprehend the > sadness I do? yesh. was wondering if anyone had any info on these release dates down here? i've called redback in wollongong who called elektra for me and have said that nothing (neither a single or an album) is being realsed for at least 4 weeks (i.e. both well after oct. 8). i called red eye in sydney who knew nothing about the single, but said theyll have the album on oct. 8 as an import though. a friend in melbourne said the album will be there on oct. 19. anyone else got any other versions of the story? tamara. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 06:57:32 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Countdown to Instruction Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > > If I'm not mistaken it's less than 24 hrs untill the US release of the SEXXY > single!!! > > WAHOOO!!!!! > > Alrighty then, > Silly AA little over 24 hours here in Plymouth, MI, but it's well worth the wait! john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:05:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Birdlace Subject: Mayo Island Well its looks as though I was the only one among us to go to the Mayo Island Show, so here's my short review or whatever before I miss too much of my class this morning. First of all, I drove a total of over six hours by myself and spent all my money, so if I'm not giving rave reviews, then that's might be why. There were by far more bad points than good. The only good thing was that most most people were not there to see Them. In fact, I suspect maybe more than half people left before They got done. Anyway, I got as close to the johns as one could possibly get. Well that's all the good stuff I can think of. BAD: Half of the people watching TMbg were obnoxious 13 year old boys. I had to sit through six hours of other music, not that it was bad, I was tired. The set list clocked it atbarely an hour, with 19 songs. The Johns both looked and sounded really tired and more or less said so as well. And, Linnell hardly sang one song; Flans did all of wdtss by himself for example and just about all the songs were with just flans singing. They ended with Istanbul, which Flans practically whispered so that Linnell could also be heard. There was no encore because the security guard kept making the cut signal and pointing to his watch. Anyway, they got off at around 7:10 pm and probably left right away. Well I have to say I knew it would be a bit dissapointing from the moment I saw the setlist on the stage. Through a feat of memory, here are all 19 songs they played in no real order: spider polk polka spy xtc old sexxy exquisite istanubl sleeping dig ensor maybe sun guitar twist actual size sing like a girl nyc Oh, on exquisite dead guy, they used the puppetheads to sing. I was wondering, is this is something they employ ofteb at their shows?? Ellen "And though I once preferred a human being's company, They pale before the monolith that towers over me." They Might Be Giants*new album*Factory Showroom*Oct 8 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:03:27 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Is that an EYEBALL!? >Just a simple question, maybe a stupid one. On the upper left corner >of the Mono Puff CD case of Unsupervised, is that Linnell holding the word "UN" >? I don't know who it is, but to me he seems to have a great party trick. I SWEAR HE'S HOLDING HIS EYEBALL TOO. Uneyeball, I hit my head... I think there's something in that for all of us. Bye, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:02:27 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Linnell or Flans Hey, >Now on to a (hopefully fresh) discussion topic. I've been thinking about >this a lot lately. When you have been a TMBG fan for a while, it is easy >for you to tell which John is singing what. It is easy to tell them apart, >even in harmonies like "Kiss me son of God" and "Sleeping in the Flowers." >But when I bought Their albums for the first time, I couldn't tell which >John was which, especially on Istanbul. Other new fans seem to be unable >to make this distinction. Then the time came when I just knew. Can anyone >else confirm this phenomena from your own experience, or someone else's? >If this has happened to you, would you say it's a gradual thing, or >something that hits you in the face? Comments from a newer fan on this >list, who hasn't reached the point of recognition yet? I've been a fan for heaps of years now and I still can't distinguish between them both on some songs. Like, Flans has a pretty distinct voice, but somehow he distorts it sometimes and it just throws me!!! Anyway, that's my thingo... I guess I mustn't study the songs as much as others. I just love their music. :) Bye, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:02:57 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Mono Puff Guff fine with me Hi again, >> OK, so sure, we all have our own opinions about Unsupervised, but 3 months >> down the track it gets a bit old... Can we cut the Mono Puff guff? Well, I >> reckon we should anyway. >FIrst of all, I have no problem at all with discussing Mono Puff, as I >think it's certainly related to this list, Yeah, I don't have a problem with discussing it either, but it was just getting to me, coz people had said all that exact same stuff 3 months ago!!! I love Mono Puff and reckon it was cool to discuss it and will be in the future. >but I think the reason there's >been a resurgence in talking about it lately is because a lot of people >are just returning to school (and e-mail) after the summer, so this is >the first chance they've had to talk about it. Or maybe I was dropped on >my head too many times as a child, I dunno. Just a thought. Nah, I know what's happening now. I didn';t realise people used their email at school and I also didnt realise lots of people had gone on holidays from school for sooooo long!!! SORRY!!! I'll just crawl back from where I came from... Mono Puff away... Later, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:35:45 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: My struggle Well here's how it goes here in North Huntingdon, Pa. I called the commercial 'alternative' radio station "The X" 3 times. 2 of these were in the middle of the night. (I assumed my chances were better this way.) Two nights in a row, the guy said that he didn't think that it was in the studio but "he'd try to find it." I thanked him and went to sleep. The other time was at 11 am on Sunday morning. He said that Elektra only sent the one song, (S.E.X.X.Y. I assumed) and that they might play it on "The Edge Of The X" (Sunday Night Radio Show.) I thanked him and went to church. It was not on "The Edge Of The X." I called Camelot music to inquire about the single's release, but th guy said that the whole thing comes out Oct. 8. I thanked him and went to work. A small beacon of hope arose when I talked to my sister and I spoke last night. She said that record store have no idea what singles are coming out. They just come. (She used to work at National Record Mart.) This leads me to believe that I can go to the record store tommorow and just buy the damn thing without any heartbreak. Wish me luck! Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:48:07 EST Subject: Boba Mail: Re: screen door slams shut > Hi TMBGers! I just wanted to point out that, even though the 'hippie > movie-critic from Letterman' news article may *seem* non-TMBG related, > if you look close, you'll see that the story takes place in XENIA, Ohio! > It's not irrelavant after all! So please don't flame anybody...besides, > flaming goes against the good vibe of TMBG! Have a very They day! > > sun and smiles > cortney If any one heard/saw the John Henry show from Irving PLaza, They mentioned that it was about some 'White Trash from Ohio'. Long before it slammed she got out of Xenia. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: Dane Woodall Subject: TMBG Concert in Jacksonville Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:01:22 -0400 (EDT) Um.. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Jacksonville concert at the Milk Bar. I was wondering, since it was at the Milk BAR, if it was an 18 and over thing or not. If anyone has any relevant info on this concert, please mail me at the address listen below. Thanks, -Dane or something =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dane Woodall - woodalld@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~dwoodall/ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Barenaked Ladies Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:04:07 -0400 (EDT) Well in my early morning rush and getting up late (about an hjour later than I meant to get up) I forgot to tape the BNL. I did hear it though and they played a song called "The Old Apartment" or something like that and another song as well as a medley of Foreigner and Oasis, it was pretty funny. I enjoyed the songs quite a bit and now I wish I had taped it 8-( Anyone else around Balt-Wash get it on tape? They played from about 8:30-9 (I think they stopped at 9, I got out of the car about then and it seemed to be over). They're headed down to Atlanta now so maybe they'll be on the radio there as well? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 07:00:22 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: FW: humor and forwards >If one wants to only talk about , one must use the DELETE key on > everything else. Wow. That sounded selfish. I don't mean to take up an offensive tone, it was just what I picked up from your message. Here is what's called logic in my world: 1) If you want humor AND tmbg in your mailbox, more power to 'ya. Join a humor list and a tmbg list. Clogging up THIS list, however, is not fair to those who want only TMBG, or to Leo Bicknell, who says that his list server is already overburdened. 2) I have received forwards about sex, chocolate, and several chain letters. Now, I don't know about anyone else around here, but I didn't ask for sexual chocolate and I sure as hell didn't ask for chain letters. I asked for tour dates, Factory Showroom info, ideas on what the Johns should do next. Bottom line - if you love humor: join a humor list if you love TMBG: join a TMBG mailing list if you love both: join both, but don't ignorantly clog up a TMBG list if you love sending mass chain letters to people: go f!@k yourself I hope you consider this from a logical standpoint. ] Okay, that wasn't meant to be selfish. Obviously the list wasn't created for chain letters and posts about 20 places to put your chocolate and whatnot. That's a given. What I'm saying is that it's not going to be non-stop, 100% TMBG. Occasionally something else is going to pop up, i.e. what else is in your cd player besides TMBG....I think King Missile came up for a little while, etc. That's what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear the first time around. shep ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:16:27 -0400 Subject: WHAT?!??! >>Neal wrote to the list asking if 'I Can Hear You' was recorded on Edison's original equipment. Yes it was, in fact! << *snip* >>There were a couple listers besides myself who had the good fortune to attend this 'supercool' event (Brooksie, Matt James, Phil, Doug, etc.) We were *that* close to actually being on the album! : ) Anyway, hope that helps clear things up! << Whoa, wait a second! Back up the groove train, Nola! HOW did you acquire the opportunity to do this??? I HAVE to know!!! :0 Waaaaaaaaaah! :*( -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Take out your dentures! It'll be fun! I'll crush your head!" - Mark McKinney, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:16:23 -0400 Subject: Spiralling Shape and FS cover >>And hello, can you say drug reference in Spiraling Shape? Yes, I think you can. But that's a-okay.<< Well, for you and those who don't already know, it was made for the soundtrack to the movie Kids in the Hall Brain Candy (which is now out on video, wooo!). the movie is about an antidepressant that is released too early and later turns the people into coma victims stuck in their happiest memory. So it's about a prescription drug, not a illegal *drug* drug. And it's a damn good song to sing along with, don't you think? >>If anyone out there has Factory Showroom AND a scanner, how about putting the cover on the net. I would love some new wall-paper! Thanx<< I second that request. Anyone able to do this? Or at least *describe* the cover in great detail??? If it is anything like the Mono Puff one, I will be a happy customer fer sure! :D That cd is at the top of my cd rack for the soul purpose of it's beauty! And in that category, it beats out my autographed Barenaked Ladies cd, even! -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Icky, icky tree, i *hate* that tree... And it's very much the same with *you*! But I love all your component parts, honestly I do!" - Dave Foley, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:43:57 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Tour Date Hey everyone, I am looking for tour dates in Philadelphia PA for TMBG in the near future, ie for Factory Showroom. I was unable to find them on any of the web pages. I heard there was one around the 15th of October. Anybody know anything about it? Know where, or for how much? THNX SJL ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:00:26 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Don't Let's Start All Right. Enough. I think that this needs to come to an end, right now. Enough people disagree with forwards, jokes, & chain letters. I have got more mail concerning them than I have recieved from the perpetrators. I would like this to come to an end. It's really hard to go through 101 messages in one hour before class!! Thank you very much. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: BOBA Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:33:09 -0400 (EDT) Hi, can Boba mail me pls? thanx -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:05:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Lyric plea Ok, all you cub fans and lucky souls who already have FS, I need a favor. I have fallen in LOVE with the song "New Yourk City" (I don't remember ever hearing it before) but the copy of it that I have is on the Mono Puff bootleg, so it's not the easiest to figure out the lyrics! I've got most of em, but I'm not too sure on some. If anyone knows the lyrics, please email ME don't post em to the list. And I'd appreciate them in English not jive ;) Thanks heaps, Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Whenever you leave your house to go out, attach a ball of string to your front door so that you can you can find your way back again when you need to return home. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:17:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: The Dueling WTSRs Hi again. Today on my show at WTSR-FM I played "I Should Be Allowed To Think". Factory Showroom is on the "Dotted Specials" list (more mainstream alternative stuff) so it won't be played much. I will beg and plead with the gods on getting it moving up to the New Music rotation. My review of Factory Showroom will appear on Wednesday. Later, Craig TMBG on WTSR page: http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte/tnmbgonwtsr.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:29:37 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Factory Showroom Album Cover At 08:54 PM 9/22/96 EDT, Chris Moesel wrote: >Hello Friends, > >If anyone out there has Factory Showroom AND a scanner, how about putting >the cover on the net. I would love some new wall-paper! Thanx. > >-Chris Don't the advance copies just have an Elektra logo or something like that? (No cover art)? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 15:42 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: The Sun My friend Rocky showed me an awesome (well, he thought it was awesome) discovery today. You know those little Golden Field Guides that are about fifty years old but still in print? Well, in the "Stars" one, if you look on page 16, the second paragraph begins like this: "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas. It is like a gigantic nuclear furnace..." Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I thought it was pretty keen. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:55:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Stupid Radio Stations On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >I got through and asked the DJ if she had the new TMBG single, and if she > >did, would she play it. She said "Oh, I haven't seen it. I don't think we > >have it, but I will keep my eye out." so...I said OK...and that was that. > > That's about what happened to me. I called our local college > station and asked if they had the new They Might Be Giants single. > Mystified silence. "Um... I don't *think* so... We do have some of their yeah, i called mine the other night and the dj told me there's a big box of new cds in his boss' office that the boss hasn't gone through, that it's probably there. ::sigh:: sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:42:00 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Linnell and more! >I used to be convinced there was no way to tell the Johns' voices apart. The >WSW list didn't help, either. I saw them 3 times in concert before I was >finally close enough to see who was singing what (stupid lawn seats!). Now >it's obvious, even for songs I didn't see them perform. Kinda spooky. But >even now, I still doubt there's another band with two singers who sound so >similar. > >--Christy I don't think their voices are that similar... but they compliment one another well -evan, who recently discovered that he likes Canadian bands. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: Factory Showroom Album Cover Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:08:04 -0400 (EDT) > > At 08:54 PM 9/22/96 EDT, Chris Moesel wrote: > >Hello Friends, > > > >If anyone out there has Factory Showroom AND a scanner, how about putting > >the cover on the net. I would love some new wall-paper! Thanx. > > > >-Chris > > Don't the advance copies just have an Elektra logo or something like that? > (No cover art)? No, it has all of the little things that look like those molecule thingies and they say tmbg really small on them, I think. My memory is not the greatest I think it says Factory Showroom across the front too but alas I can't quite picture it 100%. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:23:51 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: Tour Date At 10:43 AM 9/23/96 -0400, you wrote: > Hey everyone, > > I am looking for tour dates in Philadelphia PA for TMBG in the near >future, ie for Factory Showroom. I was unable to find them on any of the >web pages. I heard there was one around the 15th of October. Anybody know >anything about it? Know where, or for how much? > THNX > SJL October 13, 1996 at The Electric Factory in Philly. 9:30 PM Tickets are $14.50 and on sale NOW. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:26:07 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: XTC What would people sugest as the first XTC album to get? And, Will S-E-X-X-Y be the only single for FS? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:31:46 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: FW: FW: humor and forwards >Obviously the list wasn't created for chain letters and posts about 20 > places to put your chocolate and whatnot. That's a given. Glad we agree on THAT much. You'd be surprised how many "Chocolate/Sex" advocaters their on on the list. >What I'm saying is that it's not going to be non-stop, 100% TMBG. > Occasionally something else is going to pop up, i.e. what else is in > your cd player besides TMBG....I think King Missile came up for a > little while, etc. That's fine. That's all in the general vicinity of music, so it is still in some small way, relevant. MonoPuff, I feel, is an extremely relevant topic as well. Still, as the subject reads, humor and forwards have no place on a TMBG list. King Missle? In low volumes that's not bad to post. >That's what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear the first time around. No prob. Let's keep this list clean. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:53:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Address Error I goofed. The TMBG on WTSR page is: http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte/tmbgonwtsr.html Thanks Dave! Craig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 19:08:42 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Is that an EYEBALL!? >>Just a simple question, maybe a stupid one. On the upper left corner >>of the Mono Puff CD case of Unsupervised, is that Linnell holding the word "UN" >>? > > I don't know who it is, but to me he seems to have a great party trick. >I SWEAR HE'S HOLDING HIS EYEBALL TOO. Uneyeball, I hit my head... I think >there's something in that for all of us. Oh yeuck! I never noticed that before. My stomach churns just thinking about it. Now I'll never be able to look at that cover and feel good about it! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 19:17:41 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: tmbg fonts? >just out of curiosity, are there any tmbg fonts? i was just thinking it >would be nice to write something in the misc. t. font... The nearest thing that I've come to is doing up a TMBG Postcard that me and a friend use to communicate whilst talking about Them. Its got a Flood gif faded in the background and you type on the square that the gif is on and send it as a postcard. The downside is that each send takes up 100K cos of the gif, and it only really seems to be possible to read it properly if you are sending within your own ISP - i.e. we are both on MSN so its quite easy to send it as a MS Word document format. The trouble is that when I send it to his work address, he ends up with a 100K document but it only dispalys the converted text. That's the trouble with e-Mail - sending anything using a font or a style is almost doomed to failure as another ISP will just convert it back to raw text. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:30:38 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: Why Will Sucks Will somebody or something stole my code!!! He took the HTML off of my page at http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/ and put it on his shitty page at http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html !! Talk about a jerk. Well, feel free to flame him at: tanis@wpi.edu Thank you. P.S. don't forget to add your page to the TMBG Webring!!! http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/webring/ -- MLiq- mliq@digital.net *------------------------------------ |The They Might Be Giants Link Page| |http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/| *-------------------------------------------- |The They Might Be Giants Web Ring | |http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/webring/| *-------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 19:41:42 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: FW: humor and forwards >What I'm saying is that it's not going to be non-stop, 100% TMBG. > Occasionally something else is going to pop up, i.e. what else is in > your cd player besides TMBG....I think King Missile came up for a > little while, etc. I think that's the nail hit on the head, Shep! Whereas we don't want the chains, chocs and party cracker jokes, sometimes it is nice to find out what everyone does after they've just played Lincoln for the 15th time that day. (I know, they play it a 16th time!!!). Obviously, that means that Monopuff get a strong look-in (and so they should). But it does mean that there is scope for other TMBG-like bands to occasionally pop-up that at least a good proportion of the list will be interested in - like todays off-topic is Barenaked Ladies (thats the band not alt.sex.*) and that's cool cos I'm always on the look-out for something to fill the gaps between John Henry and FS. After all I'm sure most of us own more than just six albums! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 21:49:40 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: Today Is S-E-X-X-Y Day! OK, on the subject of S-E-X-X-Y - lets have a TMBG race - who's going to be the first on the 'Net to send a message and tell us what the CD and cassette singles and the B-sides are like. (Any no sneaky DJ promo cheating either - I want to hear from someone who got it from a good and honest record store!!! P.S. By the way, I've got no chance of winning - here in the UK the weeks releases are out and there is not a S-E-X-X-Y in sight! (*sniff*). Looks like its going to be a long trip to my favourite import dealer ........ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 21:50:27 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: XTC >What would people sugest as the first XTC album to get? I've just gone brain dead. I'm currently listening to "Fossil Fuel" - their new 31 track double CD singles collection. That's obviously good if you just want to dabble, but bad if you hate compilations and intend on buying them all. I guess the most obvious CD for starters (and this is when I go *really* brain dead) is the one with "Life Begins At The Hop" and "Making Plans For Nigel" on it. Aaaaagh, nope its gone! (Help me out here Matt James, I'm sinking in the slime ............) >And, >Will S-E-X-X-Y be the only single for FS? If past experience is anything to go by then I'd say yes. Here in the UK we're not even certain of getting that even!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:05:46 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: ATTENTION: Matt Coon and the person who taped House of Blues!!! : ) Hi friends! I'm really *really* sorry to be posting this to the list, but can Matt Coon and also the person who taped TMBG at the House of Blues *please* email me? I'm sorry, silly me lost your addresses! Thanks! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:05:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Single (plus unrelated) First. The single. It's so close. Best Buy or Borders better have it, or I will be upset. Then again, they had WDTSS, Back to Skull and the Devil single (but I had no money at the time, and now it's gone). My local radio stations are not playing it AFAIK. :( Now, can any of you DJs out there tell me something? How do things get on playlists? Do they just put stuff that they think is cool on there, or that they think people will like, or what? Or, do they do it by listener request, or what? If they do it by request, can't we all call our local station incessantly and get them to put it on the playlist (or at least play it more often and increase exposure). Shouldn't we throw our list influence behind this single and get it played alot (see: Spiralling Shape and that Cage Match thing), and so get a video? UNRELATED: Next. I know I am sort of falling under the category I am about to define, but I think you'll see why. When someone writes and entire message that is composed entirely of 'Don't post unrelated material to the list, it's a waste of everyone's time.' and sends it to the list, it is the irony of ironies. When someone else writes another message composed intirely of 'I agree wholeheartedly. Don't post unrelated things to this list. It's for discussing TMBG only' and then goes on for 20 more lines on why we shouldn't post unrelated things, that is an irony of ironies of ironies! Don't do this! I know I'm doing it now, but I hope this is the last message I see on this subject. Do not respond publicly to my message (or anyone else's that has to do with this subject), if you respond at all. It will only annoy people and prompt more messages like this (which are obviously ineffective if people respond publicly to it). Watch a message show up saying what I just said right after I send this, written before I wrote mine. I bet it'll happen. RS ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:24:47 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Why I seem to suck. Now normally I take no offense to flames, when they are warranted, but in this case I was not even asked to explain myself before this flamefest was declared on me. First of all, the reason I had MLiq's code was not because I planned on keeping it on my webpage. I had it there because I was updating my page, and was using the links that he had to find the pages that I wanted to add links to on my page. I had put the code on my page because everytime I start my browser and/or click on the home button, it sends me to my page, which is a lot more convenient then needing to wait for MLiq's page to load up everytime I want to check out a new link. In the end it also makes it much easier for me to edit my code. Now the code was only going to be there for another day, and I'm sorry for the apparent harm it caused MLiq for its temporary presence. I have now removed all links that I had there and replaced them with a link to MLiq's page. Secondly, since when did it become standard ettiquette to flame someone without checking if there is due cause. All MLiq bothered to do was send me an e-mail with an expletive for a title, telling me all too plainly to remove the code, and before I even have a chance to explain he asks you all to flame me?!!! Now I have been running an FTP-site/Web page here for about six months now and from time to time people send me e-mail about updating my page, and one of my e-mails asked me to add a links section to my page, so that's what I was trying to do. Apparently I used the wrong method, but I was not informed until it was too late. Thirdly, since when did the tmbg mailing list become a basis for flames. Flames in preson are one thing, but flames over a large group like this are what I would considder a general violation of netiquette. If we're going to get angry at a specific individual let's try to do it in private. Finally, I have a hard time with the complaint over "borrowing links". The net is supposed to be public domain, and it often reflects such. Half the pages on the web are built from "borrowed code" that may have been altered a little, and then again may not have. Hopefully I have clarified the issue in a "mature manner", if anyone has any problems with the situation please take the time to e-mail me or flame me or whatever. Oh, and please don't call my webpage "sh***y". I have worked on it a while, as I'm sure Mliq has, and I will grant that MLiq has a good page. So I would appreciate it if my webpage was left alone, it's feelings get hurt otherwise. Will ============================================================= Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ============================================================= ------------------------------ Subject: Re: screen door slams shut From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:22:54 EDT On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:23:13 -0700 (MST) JWH writes: >O.K. if you're new, we forgive you, just don't ever send anything >non-TMBG >to the list ever again or we'll [try "I'll"] all come and trash your >ouse/dorm/shack/whatever. Really, we [speak for yourself] mean it, none of this >stupid 'gee, I >thought everyone would like my forward/chain letter/useless >fact/attempt >at a life', it's really not appreciated here. Sorry, didn't mean to >flame, just being slightly impolitely informative. Thanks a lots. We were hoping some one would put him/her in his/her place... but seriously, get over it... A flame to a useless message is even more useless than the original useless message... Heck I even liked hearing the useless message... I don't know, maybe you like Leno? ... Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is your message is worse than the so-called useless one, and just as bad as the one I am sending right now... A simple flame to the sender would have sufficed nicely, in which only they would have proof of your threat when you hunted them down... >By the way, where I >am, it's only Sunday, a.k.a. more than twenty-four hours till the >single, >I'm so jealous of you east coasters getting everything sooner... I've got something for YOUR ender... "Really, we mean it, none of this stupid 'gee, I thought everyone would like my forward/chain letter/USELESS FACT/ATTEMPT AT A LIFE' " Oh, and one more thing, remember to scorn listies new and old, the last thing we'd want is for tmbg to become popular... being belligerent again... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:05:35 CST Subject: where's the "who sings what" list? where's the "who sings what" list? ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:08:59 CST Subject: sorry quick excuse me please for being stupid and asking a question that was already asked. I mailed it in the middle of my reading. I hadn't gotten to it yet. ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:23:17 -0400 Subject: Some thoughts. Ok...I may be a little behind in reading this list, but I have to speak up. Why does everyone want to gripe about the mainstream/alternative issue.....Does it really matter? I mean think about it. Assume TMBG did obtain mainstream success....Would it somehow make their music worse? NO. Would they suddenly become obsessed with keeping up appearances? I doubt it. Look.....If they were going to change, and "sell out" (I hate that phrase), they would have done it long before now. Another thing that I think is odd, is that you guys sit and gripe about them not getting airplay, but when They do you gripe about the station it's on....yeesh!!! If that's not a bit trite I don't know what is. It's almost like you guys think that in order to be "Cool" you have to trash anything that is "mainstream". Leading to only one logical conclusion....You guys are just as bad (if not worse) than those that are trying to be trendy by listening to "alternative" music, because you're doing the same thing in reverse. Ok....bear with me....I have one more. Now as far as the Hootie thing goes (Look, I know this is played out, so I'll try and keep it short..ok) does it matter what band TMBG plays with. In fact if you stop your whining for a moment and think about it, it's a very good move. They are hitting an audience that has probably never heard of them before. Now why's that so bad? I lied...one more. Some of you complained that if they did start being played on top 40 radio, there would be all these trendies walking around in TMBG shirts trying to be cool. SO WHAT? Like we all didn't do that to an extent when we first "discovered" TMBG. Besides they would still be the same band.....just with a little more money. Ok....I know that didn't apply to all of you, but it did to some. If it didn't, I am sorry for wasting your time, but it had to be said. The solution???? Do what you like, and let everyone else do their thing. Life's much easier that way. Thanks for listening......and remember "Laugh hard....It's a long way to the bank" Brad ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: screen door slams shut Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:27:40 -0500 (EST) > > Hi TMBGers! I just wanted to point out that, even though the 'hippie > movie-critic from Letterman' news article may *seem* non-TMBG related, > if you look close, you'll see that the story takes place in XENIA, Ohio! > It's not irrelavant after all! > Excellent observation! Historically speaking, that makes it relevant enough for the likes of this little mailing list (works for me, anyway)! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:48:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Birdlace Subject: WRNR Hey! For anyone in MD who can get the station, WRNR 103.1 has the new cd, so call in and request a song! I just called in to ask if they had anything newfrom Them, and the dj said he just played something from it, and even though he couldn't remember the name, it was not SEXXY. Even though this station has a weak signal, they'll play most requests. They only have Flood, a18, and jh though. And factory showroom :) Ellen "And though I once preferred a human being's company, They pale before the monolith that towers over me." They Might Be Giants*new album*Factory Showroom*Oct 8 ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:13:28 -0400 Subject: XTC vs. Adam Ant Has anyone else noticed that XTC and Adam Ant are both puns on the words ecstasy meaning intense delight and the word adamant meaning inflexable or unyielding. I just think it's interesting that there is unexpectedly more than meets the eye in this song. nick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:25:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Braham Ketcham Subject: I'm back! Well, after a long period of nom-listness, I have decided to return, mainly because the single comes out tomorrow and the album in a few weeks. It's been long enough that most of you probably won't remember me, so treat this just like a "I'm new to the list. TMBG is god. Please like me." message. Anyway, what've I missed? Any interesting/annoying/downright idiotic threads? Any info on the single or the album not on tmbg.com ? Okay, sure. Wait, one last thing... "Hi mom!" Okay, G'night everyone! -- Hexagon --- Braham Ketcham | " 'Look, my lad, I've had enough of this. ~-=========================-~| That parrot is definitely deceased.' www.salamander.com/~hexagon | 'It's probably pining for the fjords.' " hexagon@salamander.com | -- Monty Python's Flying Circus ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: RE: XTC Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:33:50 -0400 (EDT) > >What would people sugest as the first XTC album to get? > > I've just gone brain dead. I'm currently listening to "Fossil Fuel" - their > new 31 track double CD singles collection. That's obviously good if you just > want to dabble, but bad if you hate compilations and intend on buying them > all. > > I guess the most obvious CD for starters (and this is when I go *really* brain > dead) is the one with "Life Begins At The Hop" and "Making Plans For Nigel" on > it. Aaaaagh, nope its gone! (Help me out here Matt James, I'm sinking in the > slime ............) > I'm here for the save, that would be _Drums and Wires_, a very good album from 1979. Another nifty thing is tht on the Dead Milkmen album, _Soul Rotation_ if you look inside the sleeve you will see one of the guys wearing a _Drums and Wires_ t-shirt! > >And, > >Will S-E-X-X-Y be the only single for FS? > > If past experience is anything to go by then I'd say yes. Here in the UK we're > not even certain of getting that even!! John Henry had 2 singles, Back to Skull and WDTSS? (remember Spy was on there). Apollo 18 had I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, and the Guitar, the Pink album had Don't Let's Start, and She was a Hotel Detective, TMBG had Ana Ng and They'll Need a Crane, and Flood had Istanbul and ummm was Particle Man ever actually released as a single? Oh yeah and Birdhouse in your Soul. I picked up the Candy Butchers single Live at La Bonbonniere and it is pretty good. It is dated 1996 and it says look for the forthcoming album _The Candy Butchers_. On the single: Bells on a Leper California Girl Cupid Complained to Venus Till You Die Canned Hunt Only 2 of these songs will be on the album , Bells on a Leper and Cupid. This is strange because they played California Girl during both TMBG concerts and it seemed to be one of their biggest. Hmm maybe one of them big B-sides everybody will want? Being a live single there isn't really 1 A-side on here but seems to be touted more as an EP live CD. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:56:12 -0400 From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: M2 (MTV2) And Others Hey, Adam here just got another account and decided to join the list again. As for the M2 discussion. Yes M2 does play some really good stuff. I got my BUD (Big Ugly Dish) [10 ft dish] a couple of weeks ago and I watch M2 from time to time. They do play Monopuff, I have seen the Devil about 3 or 4 times on there. I have also seen Bird House and The Statue Got Me High on there too. They play some pretty decent groups, I've seen Violent Femms, Dead Milk Men, Bare Naked Ladies and a lot more. M2 is commercial free so I'm afrid that it will be a long time until it is picked up by cable compines (superlizing it doesn't seem like there is any profit in this channel for MTV to take it national). For those will C band satellites you can watch it on Satcom C3 (F3) Transponder 16. M2 also takes email requests and is slated for a fax and phone in request line soon. And since I've been gone, does anyone know what the new single is? Is it still SEXXY? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:56:36 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Albany show Well, The Sept. 27 Albany show is coming up soon and I wanted to remind you all that I am going to be there, and if you are going to be there I want to say hi and shake your hand maybe. I'm coming all the way from Totonot so if you're there and I don't get to meet you, well, what a waste that will be. I will be the big fat loud guy with a quiet, tender side few get to see. I will probably be wearing my Hello T shirt. I have glasses and goofy hair and I will be accompanied by a Russian, no less. And I'm not really that fat. :) Anyway hope to see you there. And if you haven't yet, check out the web page frequented by preverts, http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy. Lots to see and do. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:58:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Spiralling Shape Hey, I was just wondering if any of the "special" people who have the promo of Factory Showroom could describe the version of Spiralling Shape on the album. I never bought the Brain Candy soundtrack, and I am wondering if this new version is exactly the same as the old one or is it a little different? thanx :) Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:10:00 -0400 Subject: Singles, videos Subject: Re: Tour Date >i thought i heard the show is at the trocadero on the 13th. The Restless page is wrong. Check out the Ticketmaster Page (www.ticketmaster.com) for all the info, ordering and such. You can also, from there, find links to the Electric Factory page, including directions. The show is open to all ages, proof that there is a g-d. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: boot info? Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:44:51 -0400 (EDT) Hi, I hvae this boot but I can't figure out what it is, it is not labeled. The first song is Hello Radio (Martin, I mad a mistake that song is about 55 seconds long). The second song is Kiss Me Son of God (Linnell screams at the end), and the next song is She Was a Hotel Detective (Flansburgh yells the name of the song and has this echo going throughout theplace in the beginning). This is a late 80s tape as they say this is from our new record Lincoln, it's called Ana Ng. Any idea anyone? Thanks. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:56:18 -0400 (EDT) From: La hija de Groove Subject: RE: XTC Matt, that Candy Butchers disc IS an EP, not a single. Your hunch was correct. :) -----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*- "This could lead to excellence or serious injury." --TMBG ------------------------------ From: doofyhead@rockpile.com Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:56:58 -0500 Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-260 Anyone know when TMBG will be playing in New Jersey, if ever? ----------------------------- 8< ------------------------------ The Rock Pile Telnet: rockpile.com A full service Internet http://www.rockpile.com provider and much more! Modem: 201-941-7778 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:26:45 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: something a) simply disregard any failed attepmt of mine to communicate effectively with anyone else on the planet, that's normal b) thank you for the flames, it was a little cool in southern Arizona today. c) I officially give up trying in general as of this public announcement- take that for all its worth. You figure it out, Josh ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Some thoughts. + OAT From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:21:31 EDT No apologies, this message is extraniously long. On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:23:17 -0400 Raldus@aol.com writes: > Ok...I may be a little behind in reading this list, but I have to >speak >up. Why does everyone want to gripe about the mainstream/alternative >issue.....Does it really matter? Yes, it does matter. TMBG is our clique. TMBG is something we get to use to feel smarter than the general population. If suddenly every moron with a radio decides TMBG is their favourite joke band and that they are real funny, where would we be? >I mean think about it. Assume TMBG >did >obtain mainstream success....Would it somehow make their music worse? >NO. It already has. Although it is not quality of music I am talking about, it is depth of lyrics. Sure, you can sight about two songs on JH with good lyrics, but beyond that, my favourite songs on JH are on BTS > Would they suddenly become obsessed with keeping up appearances? I >doubt >it. Look.....If they were going to change, and "sell out" (I hate >that >phrase), they would have done it long before now. They are obsessed with making their record company happy. If they had balls they'd be out on the street right now getting resigned with Bar/None. > Another thing that I think is odd, is that you guys sit and gripe >about >them not getting airplay, but when They do you gripe about the station >it's >on....yeesh!!! If that's not a bit trite I don't know what is. It's >almost >like you guys think that in order to be "Cool" you have to trash >anything >that is "mainstream". Leading to only one logical conclusion....You >guys are >just as bad (if not worse) than those that are trying to be trendy by >listening to "alternative" music, because you're doing the same thing >in >reverse. Good idea, say to the list, list you guys are awful annoying pretentious people... I'm damn pretentious, and I'm proud. > Ok....bear with me....I have one more. > Now as far as the Hootie thing goes (Look, I know this is played >out, so >I'll try and keep it short..ok) does it matter what band TMBG plays >with. In >fact if you stop your whining for a moment and think about it, it's a >very >good move. They are hitting an audience that has probably never heard >of >them before. Now why's that so bad? "Hey look ma, I just got this CD from this joke band who opened for hootie, it's really funny stuff! I can't wait for their second CD!" > I lied...one more. > Some of you complained that if they did start being played on top >40 >radio, there would be all these trendies walking around in TMBG shirts >trying >to be cool. SO WHAT? Like we all didn't do that to an extent when we >first >"discovered" TMBG. Besides they would still be the same band.....just >with a >little more money. No, it's all a problem, if I walk about with a tmbg shirt on, I'm not trendy, I'm that dork with a TMBG shirt on, if trendies were to walk about with TMBG shirts on, I would start to get this "You just like them because they're popular, you're not a real fan" and I would get it from people who just a year before were mocking me for liking them. >Ok....I know that didn't apply to all of you, but it did to some. If >it >didn't, I am sorry for wasting your time, but it had to be said. So you're saying it absolutely had to be said for the hundredth time even a week after the initial discussion ended... >The solution???? Do what you like, and let everyone else do their >thing. > Life's much easier that way. You're not changing me, you're not changing anyone, you're just raising more dust... I'd like to put in that once a week a person gets an aol account, comes to the tmbg list and decides to put us all in our places, thank you, thank you so much, we like our places. One bit. The problem with tmbg becoming popular. Let's say they become ultra-popular for about a month, they gain millions of fans who will never listen to factory showroom again in their lives. At the same time they lose their cult-like dedicated fanbase who before then would have listen to a record of bathroom noises if it said TMBG on it. So then, after a short spree, TMBG is no longer the flavour of the week on Mtv, no one really likes them, and they never sell another album. Meanwhile we all stay home pissed listening to Lincoln. I'm not making this up, this has happened to countless bands, wait till about mid-October, you'll wish tmbg was on Bar/None OAT: On the subject of stolen HTML, for people who have just begun to learn certain aspects of HTML and aren't doing something wimpy like taking a college course, ripping off, and *initially* using HTML is about the only way to learn. I will only say that a cookie goes to the man (or woman, thank you stan) who figures out where I learned how to build frames... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:48:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: In my vein, in my mind, in my chemistry I find... Hideho! Has everyone else noticed quite how catchy and singalongable "Tryptophane" is? Today I popped the TDWDTN single in my player and FF'ed to track three. 15 minutes later (that's 10 listens, in case you don't know) I was still sitting there, with the player on "Repeat 1" and still singing happily along to every note. I had to force myself to take it out so I could actually do some work. To tell you the truth, I am pretty disappointed that this song was on the TDWDTN single. Why? Because it kept it from being where it should have been: on Factory Showroom/Superfueled Freaksickle. After all, this song was originally written (and recorded; AFAIK this song has only been recorded once, and that recording was used for DAS, the Mono Puff EP, and the TDWDTN single) for TMBG. Why on earth J&J rejected it is beyond me; it's quite TMBG-ish, it's catchy, it's got great TMBG-style lyrics, and just in general kicks ass. Maybe JF refused to use it for TMBG so he could save it for Puff. I dunno. I still think it should have been a TMBG song. Can't wait until the 8th! My friend is going to see Them at Geneseo, but I'm not -- it's too expensive for a concert where I'd be in the car more than watching the band. :( He doesn't have Net Access, so I don't think he has all the neat-o Mono Puff/Hello Club/Dial-A-Song stuff I have. Maybe I'll make him some tapes. :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:49:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Fwd: Linnell on American Bandstand? >Okay, when I was channel surfing talking to Josh on the phone (and this is >how he can back me up on this, because I told him to turn it, and I think he >agreed...), i came across American Bandstand on VH1. Bryan Adams was on (LOL! >I thought it was David Spade at first! :D) , and his guitar player looked >none other than mr. Linnell himself! I couldn't believe it. And Josh can tell >you how I couldn't get over it, can't ya Josh. :) >even the HAIR!!! The guy had Linnell's HAIR!! Hi, it's me, and yes, I *can* back this up. :) Okay, first off: this was the early 80's Bryan Adams, complete with big hair, really odd looking keyboardist, and the rest of the early 80's trappings. Just setting the context. So there's this guy playing bass, and he looks *just like Linnell*. Maybe a bit younger, and without the demonic glowing eyes. He seems to be a proponent of the "pelvic thrust" method of bass playing; that is, every time he plays a note, he thrusts his pelvis (and therefore the bass) forward. It looks really strange. Anyway, he *did* have the hair. It was pretty neat. Especially when the song was over, and Dick Clark was interviewing Bryan, and he was blocking the faux-Linnell's head, because Sarah kept saying "Come on, move! Get out of the way! We want to see John!" :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:21:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Lafayette Subject: can someone please help me? Can someone please mail me and tell me how to join the digest? thanks. -lafayette ------------------------------ From: Lysee101@aol.com Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:52:10 -0400 Subject: Flans on the radio in Vegas KEDG.... the giants-playing station in Vegas announced the nearing arrival of Factory Showroom.... and then.... Flans was on the radio!! true excitement.... he said that the new album would be a lot funkier and have some not-appropriate-for-the-radio wordage.....hmm... i am so anxious.... well, i gotta go check on that birdhouse in my soul.... ilyse ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-261 ******************************