Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 263 Thursday, 26 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-261 Tryptophane Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-262 Re: Old Songs (none) WOW Boba Mail Re: Old Songs/Spy vs. XTC Re: boot info? Re: In my vein, in my mind, in my chemistry I find... Matt, on your Aussie Import... _25 O'Clock_--->Secret Message Worries BOBA MAIL single HMV RE: Old Songs Re: Worries SEXXY Single-why? very upset RE: Australian release dates. TMBG!!! Who Else? Re: weezer Re: BOBA MAIL RE: WOW New web site. TMBG Related Thing Looky! Re: TMBG Related Thing Re: HMV Back To Skull Re: SEXXY Fretting Factory Showroom Tower Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Miscellaneous stuff Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Download S-E-X-X-Y and Metal Detector off the net!!!!!!! i don't know anything Racist Friend S-E-X-X-Y single Jan/Feb Australian Dates - BDO? metal detector Nothing to do with it, as usual Re: Jan/Feb Australian Dates - BDO? Re: Tower Re: Racist Friend Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 03:14:20 -0500 (CDT) From: Capstick Jennifer M Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-261 Hi there...sorry to bug ya'll with a silly question that i know has been answered before, but could someone please tell me the address to send mail to if i have a question about my subscription to Hello? i thought i had it somewhere, but it has disappeared...*sighs* i haven't gotten anything yet, not even a bill, and i really want all the cd's and stuff. so if anyone has the address, the information would be most appreciated. thanx.. Jen VoodooGal ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:37:41 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Tryptophane Hey people and Tom, >Sorry, but Tryptophane is definitely NOT on the Mono Puff EP. I only wish it >were! I have only heard it once, then my friend threw the tape out the window >and it sadly smashed onto the ground below. Hey, we must live in different countries or something, coz mine definitely DOES have Tryptophane on it. Bye, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:37:56 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-262 FARCE!!!!!!!!! I love using that word!!! It only comes from me when I've totally humiliated myself by relying on the word of people.... :) Yes, I too have been into my local record store for the last month demanding that they order SEXXY for me when in fact it is not even being released!!! NO WAY, how embarrassing. I'm hanging out for Factory Showroom now.... Now, I'm not going to jump the gun with that one. And hey, all the Aussies come out of the woodwork after a bit of talk about Australian stuff. GREAT!!! I'll be at their next concert over hear for sure. Well, preferably both of them!!! Or however many they have in Sydney!!!! See all you funky thangs there, I guess. Ad, who's counting down the weeks until FS and the months until their world tour. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 07:11:34 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Old Songs : >Which version of Istanbul has "Look! It's a white tornado!" ? Brownsville Mix >The song that goes "There's an ant crawling up your back in the >nighttime" Ant >The song that goes "Welcome to the jungle, Jim (gym?)" Welcome to the jungle Jim ___ _____ .'/,-Y" "~-. l.Y ^. /\ _\_ i ___/" "\ | /" "\ o ! l ] o !__./ ________________ \ _ _ \.___./ "~\ /Robert L Grabill\ X \/ \ ___./ / gonk@valley.net \ \ ___. _..--~~" ~`-. / \ ` Z,-- / \ / \ \__. ( / ______) / *STUFF ROB LIKES* \ \ l /-----~~" / / \ Y \ / / \ | "x______.^ / \ | \ / www.dragonfire.net/~RobNg \ j Y ---------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:31:05 PST Re: this well, I was watching mtv, (please forgive me) and they said, if there is any thing that you want to see, just e-mail us. WELL. Maybe if we all e-mailed them at once saying, PLAY MORE TMBG, they would. SO if every body would send a message to mtvprime@aol.com maybe we would see some groovy videos for once. I've just done it - it doesn't work. Do you think they take notice of e-mail anyway? If so, I might attempt to bombard Warner Bros until we find out the UK release date.... lotsa luv *-------------------------------------xxx--------------------------------------- Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:12:59 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: WOW Wow... look at all the messages... must mean a new album is due! I'd heard that this happens, but i wasn't on the net when JH came out... mono puff caused a little rise in the # of posts, but WOW! smile! Green Jello http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:17:12 EST Subject: Boba Mail WYEP played Ondine last night woo hoo! No one in Pittsburgh has SEXXY either. They said that FS is out on the 8th. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:34:29 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Old Songs/Spy vs. XTC On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Justin Smith wrote: > Hey- > I have this old tape a friend in Maryland with whom I have lost > contact (hey John Gillespie Jr. -- if you are out there, e-mail me) gave > me a few years ago with alot of old TMBG stuff on it. I have identified > James K. Polk and Stormy Pinkness, but there is still some stuff I am > having trouble with: > Which version of Istanbul has "Look! It's a white tornado!" ? > The song that goes "There's an ant crawling up your back in the > nighttime" > The song that goes "Welcome to the jungle, Jim (gym?)" Istanbul: Brownsville Mix from the CD and cassette EPs Ant: from the Istanbul CD Welcome To The Jungle (not Welcome To The Jungle Jim): from the Guitar CD Hope this helped. Also, a thought has been occurring to me. Listen to XTC's The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul (1985) and then TMBG's Spy (1993). (I prefer the original version of Spy from the EP anyway). Compare them in your mind, and then discuss over coffee or something. I dunno, I might be mad, but I think Spy might even be a kind of homage to this song. Who knows. Not me. I'll shut up now. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:52:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: boot info? > This would be their show from Peabody's Down Under, Ohio, 1988. > That performance of Hotel Detective makes me cringe in pain... Oh man... They played at Peabody's??? That place is so small! I think they probably spent more on gas then they got from ticket sales! I can't believe they actually played there. It's right by my house. My friend has a band, and they even played there, and they're not good. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:59:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: In my vein, in my mind, in my chemistry I find... >So it would seem that you don't like Monopuff all that much and you >find TMBG to be far far superior. Or else why would you not want this >song to be on the Devil single? Actually I agree with you to a certain >extent, I do like TMBG more, but I do think Monopuff is a rather >great band. No, I quite like Mono Puff. It's just that Tryptophane seems more, well, giantish than puffy. I think it should have been a TMBG song (and since it showed up on DAS, at at least some point it probably was a TMBG song...) I just think that resigning a great song like that to a Mono Puff b-side (where almost nobody outside the internet community will hear it) is a shame when it could have worked so well as a TMBG song. That's all. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:10:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Matt, on your Aussie Import... Ben or Been here, Matt. I have the Aussie import. Here's a bigger lowdown on the thang: It does have six lives songs, as listed by Clayton. In "Twistin'," instead of saying "Young Fresh Fellows" Mr. Flansburgh says "Primus (beat) tape back now." This CD comes basically from the _Live in NYC_ CD if you got that through the Hello Club--in which case, unless you have to have every version of a TMBG song, I wouldn't fork over the thirty smackers. Especially if you're not die-hard and you already have _John Henry_. In "Ana Ng" they added a voice that's not heard on the _Live_ CD. Also, the Aussie import CD I noticed was *thicker* than the American release. No biggee. What's the use of a thicker CD? Just adding a contrary argument, Ben or Been whose friend could not find the SEXXY single either reminds me of the new Soul Coughing release, delayed, like, the day before it was scheduled to come out. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:18:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: _25 O'Clock_--->Secret Message Ben or Been here. This post has only a slight connection to TMBG, but I figured you guys were the best audience for this comment. Here's how TMBG connects: 1. TMBG covered the song "25 O'Clock" on the XTC tribute album. 2. The original version of the song was recorded by XTC under the pseudonym "The Dukes of Stratosphear." 3. I bought the excellent chronology of The Dukes of Stratosphear, which unites their two releases into one CD. 4. At the end of the first release, _25 O'Clock_, after "Mole From the Ministry," there is a very, very squeaky-fast message, just before "Vanishing Girl" starts up. 5. I could not discern the message on my CD player. 6. Searching through the used-record bins, I found both original vinyl albums that The Dukes of Stratophear put out. 7. I bought both. 8. Last night while listening to _25 O'Clock_ I rediscovered the squeaky-fast message, tucked away in the thick space in the center of the album (the area when the needle picks up after all of the music). 9. I tried manually moving my turntable backwards, to try to reverse the message. The squeaky-fast message sounded backwards. It took me a while, and I called a friend to act as my ear while I spun the record backwards, and we figured it out. THE SQUEAKY-FAST MESSAGE AT THE END OF _25 O'CLOCK_ IS: "Go fuck yourself with your atom bombs." Pretty surprising. I didn't know Andy Partridge could curse. Apologies to all offended by the loose connection, and the loose language, Ben or Been advising you guys that you might ruin a record by doing what I did last night ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:07:41 -0400 From: "Ernest Borgnine, Secret Agent 007" Subject: Worries Hi all.. Just wondering... Is anyone else as worried as I about TMBG making an attempt to go top40? I think since they got the whole band thing going after Apollo18 a lot of "they" has been lost. It's a change for the worst. It's no longer "they might be giants, but "They Want to be Giant". -Jim ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:10:05 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL Joshua Wrote: > No, I quite like Mono Puff. It's just that Tryptophane seems more, well, > giantish than puffy. I think it should have been a TMBG song (and since it > showed up on DAS, at at least some point it probably was a TMBG song...) I > just think that resigning a great song like that to a Mono Puff b-side > (where almost nobody outside the internet community will hear it) is a shame > when it could have worked so well as a TMBG song. That's all. I've heard Monopuff songs on DAS as well as State Songs and Giants tunes. If those guys are board they probably just put anything on. That's better than the infinite ring we get anymore. Ben or Been wrote: > I have the Aussie import. Here's a bigger lowdown on the thang Where is this available? Also, does anyone know where I can get a Live In New York 'CD'. I have it on tape but would like the digital recording. Thanks. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:18:41 -0400 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: single I'm not the only one, apparently, who was told at Tower that the new single isn't in yet. Yikes! Must keep trying. Scott ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: HMV Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:30:35 -0400 (EDT) Well it apperas HMV is in the lead as far as when the SEXXY singles comes out, Oct 1. Anyone heard anything earlier in Sept? -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: Old Songs Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 08:39:00 P THos songs are, welcome to the jungle, and ANt. Both off some of TMBG's singles brenden - nednerB ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-list Subject: Old Songs Date: Tuesday, September 24, 1996 11:10PM Hey- I have this old tape a friend in Maryland with whom I have lost contact (hey John Gillespie Jr. -- if you are out there, e-mail me) gave me a few years ago with alot of old TMBG stuff on it. I have identified James K. Polk and Stormy Pinkness, but there is still some stuff I am having trouble with: Which version of Istanbul has "Look! It's a white tornado!" ? The song that goes "There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime" The song that goes "Welcome to the jungle, Jim (gym?)" If anyone can identify these, please help. Thanks. +++ Justin Smith's witty signature +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:41:54 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Worries Ernest Borgnine, Secret Agent 007 wrote: > > Hi all.. > Just wondering... Is anyone else as worried as I about TMBG making an > attempt to go top40? I think since they got the whole band thing going > after Apollo18 a lot of "they" has been lost. It's a change for the > worst. > It's no longer "they might be giants, but "They Want to be Giant". > -Jim Oh, come now, they might be giants still rock and everything else, only now they do it with better sounding instruments. Just think of the feelings of the other band members whenever someone makes a statement like this. They're working hard, playing great to boot, and they add a lot to the band, creatively and emotionally, and people refuse to appreciate this. Please reconsider your position. I know it's hard to accept at first, but I know that you and everyone else reluctant to the full band have a liking, a loving for it deep down inside, and it just needs time to grow. john. ------------------------------ From: MTVarmint@aol.com Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:48:17 -0400 Subject: SEXXY Single-why? Sorry if I'm reinvoking an old argument, but... WHY DID THEY PICK S-E-X-X-Y AS THE FIRST SINGLE? In my opinion, it's one of the weaker tracks on FS, certainly a less appropriate single then, say, "Until My Head Falls Off," "New York City," or "XTC Vs. Adam Ant." Am I alone here? Justin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:46:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Helene Subject: very upset well, yesterday I was going to go all the way down to Houston street, and get my tickets for tonight's show, and they were all sold out... I couldn't believe it... I'm still going though, I'm hoping that someone bought one ticket too many, or that the mercury lounge undersold, like they did last time, and I'll be able to get in... if not I'll be sitting on the curb, crying... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 06:26:14 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Australian release dates. >What *I* want to know is when will we find out some [australian] tour dates?? :) Peter Young contributed this to the list a while back. I would guess that you've obviously missed it. I'm rather hoping that means a scheduled portion of the "world" tour (in which of course They will play 15 consecutive nights in my back yard, just cos I asked Them to (and then I woke up ........) That all-important Peter Young Quote : "In this week's On The Street (Sydney) there is an article and interview with John Flansburgh about Mono Puff, but in it he comments that TMBG will be touring Australia in Jan/Feb 1997!!" ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: TMBG!!! Who Else? Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 18:21:16 GMT Does anyone know the full scoop behind the whole Hootie tour? I mean, It just doesn't make sense. THey are two entirely different bands. It's hard to grasp. Also, What happened to Dial-A-Song? And one last question. Does anyone know the list of songs that are to be featured on SEXXXY? I know that some of this stuff has probably been discussed before but, keep in mind that I just discovered this list. Thanx, Joey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:44:55 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: weezer On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, yublocka wrote: > btw is the new weezer album out there? i thought it came out sept 29th? > maybe its just me. theyre playing here in australia on oct 12th..never seen > em before...wohooo! My brother said it was out...I don't know for sure. I've been playing the single, which I can't remember the title of right now, on the FM side for a couple of weeks now. It is the best weezer song I've heard. -Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:47:37 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: BOBA MAIL On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, BOBA wrote: > Joshua Wrote: > > > No, I quite like Mono Puff. It's just that Tryptophane seems more, well, > > giantish than puffy. I think it should have been a TMBG song (and since it > > showed up on DAS, at at least some point it probably was a TMBG song...) I > > just think that resigning a great song like that to a Mono Puff b-side > > (where almost nobody outside the internet community will hear it) is a shame > > when it could have worked so well as a TMBG song. That's all. > > I've heard Monopuff songs on DAS as well as State Songs and Giants > tunes. If those guys are board they probably just put anything on. > That's better than the infinite ring we get anymore. And Frank Black, and Andy Partridge, and the Nelories, and even the Muppetts once (a long, long time ago, I saw this on a.m.tmbg). -Dawg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 18:23:12 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: WOW >Wow... look at all the messages... must mean a new album is due! No, it means that everyone is running around like headless chickens visiting 101 record stores screaming "I WANT MY S-E-X-X-Y SINGLE!!!!!!!" at the top of their voices when the geek behind the counter says "duh .....uh ..... like, we've got 'Flood' .....have you bought that yet ?". Just think what the 'Net traffic will be like when the single/album *REALLY* comes out! *sniffle* (the sound of the man who isn't feeling very s-e-x-x-y tonight ......) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: New web site. Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:50:19 -0400 (EDT) I've decided to roll out the new and improved version of www.tmbg.org on October 1st. Hopefully it will be really cool. Of course, that requires us to finish it by then. Along with the web site will be a few new services that I think will make a some people very happy. Stay tuned! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:05:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG Related Thing I just hope FS and S-E-X-X-Y come out soon. I got a $25 gift certificate to Tower, so I will probably get them there. Does anyone know what other songs are on the S-E-X-X-Y EP? I would think some of it could be good....as it is, I think Mrs. Train is one of the best songs that I would have never heard if I hadn't bought the Back to Skull single. Also, are there any video stores in the DC area that sell any videos of TMBG? I have only seen snippets of the Guitar, Don't Lets Start, Birdhouse and Statue from the quicktime movies on Elektra's site, and I would love to see these videos in their entirety, as well as the other ones. The only video I have seen is Snail Shell, and that didn't seem to be too good. (why doesn't MTV play TMBG?) Or if anything, is there any way to buy a collection of videos through mail-order or something? I thought I saw it in the TMBG newsletter, but I haven't gotten a copy of that in a long time. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:41:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Looky! In the hazy recesses of your mind, something small calls. Gently, ever gently, yet urgently. Hidden behind softly flowing mists, something vague -- almost ambiguous -- beckons. A box -- no, not a box, a square... A square, pulling you in. Irresistable. Irrepressable. Immutable. Yet intriguing. The darkness in the back of your mind attatches itself to your brain and pulls it into the deep abyss of... Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour, the glowing wellspring of creative insanity! This website, (http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy -- tatoo it on your butt) is a work of art. If John and John were young, up-and-coming filmmakers/html designers, this is the kind of site I'd expect them to come up with. It's got good short stories (some funny, some serious), a funny choose your own adventure parody, info about the 23 phenomenon, the popular 'Weird Literary Finds' selections, and an extensive, high-quality TMBG section. There are even more fun and exciting creative endeavors to check out, but I'll let you explore for yourself. Seriously, this is a really cool site that you should all go check out. Mike and Alex have put quite a bit of time and effort into this page (and it shows), all for your web-browsing enjoyment. There are lots of interesting things to see and do (the TMBG section alone contains tons of sounds you can't get elswhere and can take up a fair amount of time), and it's just an all-around creative and good homepage. It's worthy of your attention. Remember boys and girls, Mr. Flippy is waiting. Go to him. Do it for yourself. You're worth it. Do it for Alex and Mike. Do it for me. Do it for my dog. No, wait... I don't have a dog. Don't do it for my dog. Do it posthumously for my pet mouse Lucky who was accidentally flushed down the toilet. Don't cheat yourself out of a good time. RS ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Re: TMBG Related Thing Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:52:55 GMT On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:05:19 -0400 (EDT), you wrote: >I just hope FS and S-E-X-X-Y come out soon. I got a $25 gift certificate >to Tower, so I will probably get them there. > >Does anyone know what other songs are on the S-E-X-X-Y EP? I would think >some of it could be good....as it is, I think Mrs. Train is one of the >best songs that I would have never heard if I hadn't bought the Back to >Skull single. > >Also, are there any video stores in the DC area that sell any videos of >TMBG? I have only seen snippets of the Guitar, Don't Lets Start, >Birdhouse and Statue from the quicktime movies on Elektra's site, and I >would love to see these videos in their entirety, as well as the other >ones. The only video I have seen is Snail Shell, and that didn't seem >to be too good. (why doesn't MTV play TMBG?) > >Or if anything, is there any way to buy a collection of videos through >mail-order or something? I thought I saw it in the TMBG newsletter, but >I haven't gotten a copy of that in a long time. > >Justin Higgins - Terraflopping > Yes, the other songs off of S-E-X-X-Y are : S-E-X-X-Y (of course) Sensurround (new version) I've Got a World That Swings S-E-X-X-Y (club mix) There is also a cassette mini single with S-E-X-X-Y and the club remix, and also one other song not found on the CD 5 called Unforgotten. The videos from 86-89 are out on tape. Supposedly elektra released one with the new videos on it (birdhouse, statue, guitar, etc.). All of the information that I have given to you is from the They Might Be Giants discography by John Relph. You can find it at http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ I have one question to you. Do you know the full story behind the Hootie - Giants tour. Who's idea was it? How did it come about? thanx, Joey ------------------------------ Subject: Re: HMV From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:39:19 EDT On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:30:35 -0400 (EDT) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Well it apperas HMV is in the lead as far >as when the SEXXY singles comes out, Oct 1. Anyone >heard anything earlier in Sept? Tower records told me it was coming out _today_ (6/25/96) but I wouldn't know... ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:33:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Back To Skull Justin Higgins wrote: "As it is, I think Mrs. Train is one of the best songs that I would have never heard if I hadn't bought the Back to Skull single." It is a great song, but how about She Was A Hotel Detective? I personally believe it is a better song than Mrs. Train, although that is great also. Then there is Ondine, which, again is very good (I rank it just under Mrs. Train though). As a matter of fact, the only song on that CD that I DON'T love to death is the Snail Dust remix. SJL ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:44:47 -0400 From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: Re: SEXXY For the Maryland/DC area, I called The Wall in Owings Mill's Mall and they said they would be getting SEXXY in this week or next week. They said it was released on the 24th but they usually don't get stuff from Elektra until Tuesdays. As for Tower Records saying the 15th. Thats probally is the data that they will get it in not the date it will be relased. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:59:29 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Fretting Factory Showroom Okay. Let me explain. I can't say that I'm totally optimistic about the new album. I've listened to a few of the songs, and can't say that I'm very impressed. It seems to me that Linnell, especially, has lost the spunk that was there for the first two albums. I mean, there have been a few good songs, but the last three albums pale in comparasion to the first two. Flansburgh has gotten better, IMHO, but he's different that Linnell, and seems to have the "I'm a big rockstar, look at me, I know Frank Black" attitude. Linnell is probably trying too hard to write things that fit into Flansburgh's rock-n-roll album. I ran across a Linnell promo CD at the station the other day, and it was broadway stuff. I believe it was even on Bar/None. The concert reviews have been getting more and more negative. I just don't know how much more they've got left. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig: "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm a total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Tower Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:21:18 -0400 (EDT) > >heard anything earlier in Sept? > > Tower records told me it was coming out _today_ (6/25/96) but I wouldn't > know... > -- Hmm I checked Tower today at about 1pm and they didn't have it. Besides new CDs come out only on Tuesdays (in the US) so the next date'd be Tuesday. There isn't really any reason to check until then (Oct 1) unless by some weird mishap a store got it on Tuesday and forgot to put it out (which is very doubtful). I also checked Kemp Mill music just to make sure and there was no sign of it. Matt -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 02:01:43 GMT On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:59:29 -0400 (), you wrote: >Okay. Let me explain. I can't say that I'm totally optimistic about the >new album. I've listened to a few of the songs, and can't say that I'm >very impressed. It seems to me that Linnell, especially, has lost the >spunk that was there for the first two albums. I mean, there have been a >few good songs, but the last three albums pale in comparasion to the first >two. Flansburgh has gotten better, IMHO, but he's different that Linnell, >and seems to have the "I'm a big rockstar, look at me, I know Frank Black" >attitude. Linnell is probably trying too hard to write things that fit >into Flansburgh's rock-n-roll album. I ran across a Linnell promo CD at >the station the other day, and it was broadway stuff. I believe it was >even on Bar/None. The concert reviews have been getting more and more >negative. I just don't know how much more they've got left. > >S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org >http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig: >"Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm a total waste of >human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so >I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan > What are you talking about. How can you say that the last three albums pale in comparison . All of their albums are good. Sure they have maybe 2 or 3 not so good songs, but that's it. I mean, I rank Apollo 18 as one of my all time favorites. And, if SenSurround and Spiraling Shape are any indication of what Factory Showroom will be like, then it's gonna rule. Just because they have a full band and a little bit of a different sound, their sensibility is still there. It's people like you that aren't true fans. See the light buddy. Joey ------------------------------ Subject: Miscellaneous stuff From: richthofen@channel1.com (Richthofen) Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:38:00 -0640 Organization: Channel 1(R) 617-864-0100 Info Well, I am new to this Mailing list. unfourtunalty, i received 300 tmbg letters What are you talking about. How can you say that the last three >albums pale in comparison . All of their albums are good. Sure they >have maybe 2 or 3 not so good songs, but that's it. I mean, I rank >Apollo 18 as one of my all time favorites. And, if SenSurround and >Spiraling Shape are any indication of what Factory Showroom will be >like, then it's gonna rule. Just because they have a full band and a >little bit of a different sound, their sensibility is still there. >It's people like you that aren't true fans. > > >See the light buddy. > >Joey For the first part, Sensurround ain't on the new album. No big deal, most people have it anyway. But being on your side, Imust say you are pretty close for a guy wjo *apparently* hasn't heard it yet. IMHO there are two songs that stand out as "bad" 1. Your own worst enemy But this song doesn't bother me anymore, it's grown on me. 2. Pet Name This one bothered me less at first, and now It's right up there on my list of faves. So dawggie... lighten up! This is my favorite album of theirs currently! It may not have the goofieness of the first two or the catchieness of the next two or the morbidness of JH but it is just a great display of tmbg's capabilities. Somehow I feel the 13 tracks thread being reserected, so I'll put it this way. Would you rather have longer good songs or shorter bad songs? "unrelated thing" So anyone who isn't optamistic, you should be. If you new how good the album was and didn't have it, you'd be going into seizures Mary Hart couldn't even trigger. ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Download S-E-X-X-Y and Metal Detector off the net!!!!!!! Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 03:53:10 GMT Anyone who hasn't heard SEXXY or Metal Detector can go to http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/ Go to the links and go to the TMBG FTP site. Enjoy Joey ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:02:11 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: i don't know anything First off, i want to give a shout out to Leo! you rule, man. you give us a list, you give us a kick-ass web page, with a better one arriving shortly! Don't lets start not loving you ever!! Someone asked why They released an average single in S-E-X-X-Y. Maybe They don't want to get popular? probably not, but that's all i can think of. i've been reading people arguing back and forth about whether They will be popular soon, the pros, the cons, etc. I haven't commented because i see good and bad things both ways(on Them becoming popular). i have a feeling this discussion always comes up pre- the release of a new album. I don't think ya'll need to worry so much. The Macerana(spelling?) has been on top of the charts for many weeks now. People are morons with no musical taste. let me rephrase that...THE MACERANA IS #1!!! but who knows, right? we'll just have to wait and see. maybe Factory Showroom will sell 5 million copies, maybe it will sell 500 thousand. bottom line...if any of us stop liking Them because They become millionaires or whatever, we will be traders. I will always love They Might be Giants, no matter what. Even if Jack gives FS a bad review in "The Big Takeover" magazine, and says he hates Them. anyway, no luck here on finding the S-E-X-X-Y single either. i shall look again Thur. night. i can't believe They played at Peabody's!! i would kill to time travel. that place holds like 200 people only. i know i'm a little late, but YAY!!! NO MORE 2PAC!! sorry if you liked him, but he sucked. bad. "..walkin in the spidawebs..." SSSSHHHHHEEEEEEWWWWWW BOOOM!! "someone blew up No Doubt!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!" "look, it was Chakka" -Chakka, petting a Suflaki Ice Whale, my fave pet! the poor remain rich. someone has to work at V.O. Baker Distributing Co. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 18:42:36 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Racist Friend On the radio I heard a reggae-type song called "Racist Friend." I can't remeber the lyrics, but they said that if I had a racist friend, I should end the relationship. Anyone know anything about this song? Sarah Cooke "Run, my little brother, run to the chicken farm. Oppurtunity is calling; you might even find a watch." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 18:54:43 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: S-E-X-X-Y single yesterday I checked out lots of record stores on Oahu and couldn't find the single anywhere... the Borders guy looked it up in his computer and it wasn't there. Or course Tower didn't have it- hey, I've never even found the Pepper single there. One store said they'd get it this Friday. It is unusual that it will be released a lot later in other places than it is in Hawaii... Sarah Cooke "Run, my little brother, run to the chicken farm. Oppurtunity is calling; you might even find a watch." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:47:08 +1000 From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: Jan/Feb Australian Dates - BDO? > In this week's On The Street (Sydney) there is an article and interview > with John Flansburgh about Mono Puff, but in it he comments that TMBG > will be touring Australia in Jan/Feb 1997!! Woohoo! Does this sound suspiciously like a Big Day Out tour, with maybe a few more dates tossed in, to anyone else? BH ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:58:03 -0500 (CDT) From: JAM (Jamal O Rogers) Subject: metal detector I would like to ask something from those fortunate souls who have the promo copies of FS. Could one of you record Metal Detector and post it on the web? I know that there is already a copy of it on many people's pages, but I am hooke on that song and want to hear it in its entireity. BTW, I interpret MD as a message for those that don't like their new sound, basically, the heart of TMBG is in these songs, "underneath the land." You just have to be looking for it. -J, the Mysterious "Oh yessss, sir!" -Scott Thompson, KITH:BC ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 01:11:19 -0400 Subject: Nothing to do with it, as usual Hello 41- Here are some things rattling around my head. Hotel Detective- I think the version on BTS is much much better than the one on The Pink Album. Mr. Flansburgh even said live that the original was a very stupid song. TMBG on Radio- Here in Orlando, I have not heard TMBG yet. However, when I lived in Chicago, I heard them a lot. Apparently the girl with the fake English accent likes them. She played DLS for a week or two a few years ago, and randomly after that. She has played Birdhouse several times, and I heard Ana Ng on her morning show. And not to mention TMBG ruling the cage match. I don't really like Q101, but they do play Them... Single- I kind of figured this would happen. That's why I waited to see if anybody had gotten their ones before I ran around with my head chopped off. FS- From all the stuff I've heard, I go with the belief that TMBG is just evolving, and not getting worse. I have liked the new stuff. Sounds better than the JH stuff too IMHO. Florida- For whoever wants to know, the Jacksonville show is all ages. I will be the one in Gainsville and Jacksonville with the Ukrainian flag and maybe a red baloon. Adam ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Jan/Feb Australian Dates - BDO? Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:25:48 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Someone called 'Brett Harrison' wrote : > > > In this week's On The Street (Sydney) there is an article and interview > > with John Flansburgh about Mono Puff, but in it he comments that TMBG > > will be touring Australia in Jan/Feb 1997!! > > Woohoo! Does this sound suspiciously like a Big Day Out tour, with > maybe a few more dates tossed in, to anyone else? > > BH > *maybe* a few more dates tossed in? i certainly hope so! i know i'd be dissapointed if they ONLY played the bdo! thats why im gald weezer arent just playing livid....also it saves me the drive up to brisbane :) tamara. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Tower From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:08:01 EDT On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:21:18 -0400 (EDT) mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >> Tower records told me it was coming out _today_ (6/25/96) but I >>wouldn't know... >> >Hmm I checked Tower today at about 1pm and they didn't have it. >Besides new CDs come out only on Tuesdays (in the US) so the next >date'd be Tuesday. There isn't really any reason to check until >then (Oct 1) unless by some weird mishap a store got it on Tuesday >and forgot to put it out (which is very doubtful). I also checked >Kemp Mill music just to make sure and there was no sign of it. I was just at Tower records. I go up to the register. I ask for the new TMBG single. They told me it was coming in today. Do you know the name? S E X X Y... type type type... Actually, that's coming out on the 25th, oh wait, that's today. Try again Friday or next week. Darn Elektra. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Racist Friend Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:48:33 -0700 This is a song by the Special AKA, a British ska/two-tone band from the late 70's early 80's. I mentioned these guys awhile back (and the song) when there was the big "TMBG is ska!" bogus discussion a few months ago. ---------- > From: Sarah Cooke > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Racist Friend > Date: Wednesday, September 25, 1996 9:42 PM > > On the radio I heard a reggae-type song called "Racist Friend." I can't > remeber the lyrics, but they said that if I had a racist friend, I should > end the relationship. Anyone know anything about this song? > > Sarah Cooke > > "Run, my little brother, run to the chicken farm. Oppurtunity is calling; > you might even find a watch." > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-263 ******************************