Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 264 Friday, 27 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: Weezer Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Weezer tmbg-list Digest #2-263 -Reply Records Store Deals (none) sexxy etc TRUgLE Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 FS Re: TRUgLE a world that swings... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Weezer Re: a world that swings... Re: TRUgLE Re: Fretting Factory Showroom tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: Oh my my! New York Shows Re: TRUgLE Re: See you in Albany? Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Bootleg Video Status Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: i don't know anything FS Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Toledo Show & Test Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Hello Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Durn LISTEN UP!!!!!!!! Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Durn 25 O'Clock This Mainstreaming Thing disk doctor Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 HELP www.tmbg.com albums/popularity Re: Durn Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Subjectivity Re: This Mainstreaming Thing Re: TRUgLE Re: Darwin Re: Durn Re: Durn I have renewed faith in the radio Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 01:57:16 EDT On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:13:21 -0400 (EDT) gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) writes: > >So dawggie... lighten up! This is my favorite album of theirs >currently! Oh, that's reassuring. > It >may not have the goofieness of the first two or the catchieness of the >next >two or the morbidness of JH but it is just a great display of tmbg's >capabilities. Somehow I feel the 13 tracks thread being reserected, so >I'll >put it this way. Would you rather have longer good songs or shorter >bad >songs? "unrelated thing" > First off, Unrelated thing is _not_ a short song. Secondly their best, coolest songs are their shortest. These are Everything between Don't Let's Start and Hotel Detective on the Pink Album (I'm talking under two minutes, short), Cowtown, Lie Still Little Bottle, Mr. Me, Everything after TNAC on Lincoln, Minimum Wage, and of course what can compare to Fingertips? Oh yes, and almost everything on Misc. T, what a great album. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 08:04:41 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: Weezer nope it's not out yet... they're having troubles with the title of the album...(some name that starts with a "pi..." i think) apparently its the title of the main character in some opera and the opera people are throwing a fit. possible release oct. 8th Green Jello ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:03:13 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 >> Woohoo! Does this sound suspiciously like a Big Day Out tour, with >> maybe a few more dates tossed in, to anyone else? >*maybe* a few more dates tossed in? i certainly hope so! i know i'd be >dissapointed if they ONLY played the bdo! Well, it's the last BDO and REM are rumoured to be appearing there. Imagine being able to REM and TMBG at the same venue on the same day, as well as Nick Cave, Ben Folds Five and others!!! Man, I hope so!!! I'm thinking that Ben Folds Five will be there, coz they're sposed to be out here at about the end of January. Let's hope and pray for the best days of our lives!!! Bring on them might giants at the Sydney Big Day Out. A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: Weezer Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:12:19 -0400 (EDT) > > nope it's not out yet... they're having troubles with the title of the > album...(some name that starts with a "pi..." i think) apparently its > the title of the main character in some opera and the opera people are > throwing a fit. Ok, here is the story on the Weezer album. The album is named Pinkerton. There is a company called Pinkerton Security systems and they believe that Weezer is infringing on their name so they are in the process of suing them. The lead singer of Weezer is a fan of the Opera Madame Butterfly where the song is from and swears that the name Pinkerton, taken from a character in the play was the inspiration for the name of the album. The strange thing is that I saw 3 copies of Pinkerton in Kemp Mill Music yesterday. I thought the suit (and restraining order) prevented them from selling it? Maybe a few got by? Well, not that I'm a big fan of Weezer anyway, except for that excellent song Jamie.. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:11:37 -0400 From: ANN MARIE CALLAHAN Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 -Reply My local cd store Strawberries has signs up advertising the October 8th release of Factory Showroom! (yeah!) But they had no clue about the single (sigh). I have two cd's id like to offer up for trade that listers might be interested in (both bands have been mentioned here) cub- box of hair (a great cd, but i have two) ciba matto - vive la woman e-mail me if interested............ (it would be nice if they found a good home, tmbg singles or boots would be a great trade!) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Records Store Deals Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:15:14 -0400 (EDT) I'd like to point something out about the way some record chains operate. There are some interesting rules about the release date of a record. Some people get it ahead of time but don't sell it until that day. In other cases the record store can't get it until that date. Not only that but some stores will delay shipping out a record to stores if they think there are other more important releases to get out. Case in point: www.cdnow.com will sell you an advanced copy of Factory Showroom now with an expected ship date of October 8th (according to them), but they don't list the S-E-X-X-Y single at all, even though it should already be available. So, don't get discouraged if your local record store is giving you the runaround now, just try another, or a web service, or wait a week or two. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Imogen Ridgway Organization: Sunday Business Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:19:14 PST Re: this I have two cd's id like to offer up for trade that listers might be interested in (both bands have been mentioned here) cub- box of hair (a great cd, but i have two) ciba matto - vive la woman e-mail me if interested............ (it would be nice if they found a good home, tmbg singles or boots would be a great trade!) TMBG boots? Is my e-mail up shit creek and printing mystery characters, or have I missed out on possibly the greatest fashion moment in recent history? (incidentally, I am UK size 4, Euro size 37) *-------------------------------------xxx--------------------------------------- Moggy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 10:27:51 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: sexxy etc hello, all. well, disappointment reigns here, no one has heard of sexxy or even that They have a new album coming out, so i am short of luck on getting any of it anytime soon. of course, we only have wherehouse records, and they are not exactly humongous or anything. also, the college station here seems to have mysteriously lost all its They except the single for the statue got me high. ack! i mean, its a great song, but every time i call to request taht's all they can find of They. oh, well. anyway, any news of sexxy actually existing would be quite heartening! :D may They be with you peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TRUgLE Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 08:41:00 P hmm, I have no idea. I was sitting there thinking about some one word discriptions of the TMBg albums. mind you, none of these are meant as dirogetory statement Pink album - FLitty Lincoln - Goofy FLood - popular Miscc T - super non-mainstream Apollo 18 - Guitary John Henry - horny. well I mean as in lots of horns. maybe I should have said "hornfull" FActory Showroom - in the immortal words of Mr. John Flansburgh ... "next step" Brenden - nednerB AKA - the hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs *burnt to a crisp* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:41:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Thomas St Francis Gibson Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 This is my first posting to this or any newgroup or list or whatever, and I'm not sure if I did it correctly, so if I screwed up real bad could somebody write me and say so? I have to say first that the MTV thing sound like a good Idea in theory, but it probably won't work. can't hurt to try though, I'll be sending the media giant mail in a matter of minutes. I only have Flood, The self titled pink album, and Apollo 18. I have not heard a lot of the songs this group discusses, but I Love Them! Does anybody else out there think the nifty little tune "Spacesuit" was written to mimic CPR? It's real cool that way. If you listen to it when you are halfway asleep(or Drunk, maybe) You hear four "compressions" (with cymbals), Followed by two long "breaths" At the end, though, the guy in the spacesuit peacefully expires. (I Almost Cried). Just Checking, Frank Gibson (fola0012@frank.mtsu.edu) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: FS Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:05:44 -0400 (EDT) I called HMV today and again asked about what infor they had on SEXXY. They didn't know but they said Factory Showroom will be in this TUESDAY, Oct 1. Is this possible? Looks like I might be going down to Georgetown after all. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: TRUgLE Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:51:09 -0500 (CDT) > Pink album - FLitty I'm not familiar with this word... What're you using it as? > Lincoln - Goofy The songs _sound_ goofy. but the lyrics are darker than any other TMBG album around... Something..... Metaphor Lord....... -CJ I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`"~"""~"~"~"'~"~"~~"~"`""`"<<>>"~~'`'"""~"""'~""'"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Subject: a world that swings... Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 13:03:58 EDT Hey, I would just like to add my 2 cents...I have the chord sheet for the song A WORLD THAT SWINGS....I have it cause J&J gave it to me with their autographs on it.....Now I have a question...I read the Sep. 26th version of the list and someone named Joey said that this song was on the maxi single for S.E.X.X.Y., but how would he know this if it didn't even come out yet......mmmmmm I wonder....how could he of smuggled a copy... ant... -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:56:34 -0400 From: "Ernest Borgnine, Secret Agent 007" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Hi All... Just wondering... does anyone have a copy of The Guitar they would be willing to part with? I have a couple of live bootlegs I'd be more than happyto copy in exchange. Thanks, Jim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:07:22 -0500 From: James Hall Subject: Re: Weezer At 08:04 AM 9/26/96 -0700, Green Jello wrote: >nope it's not out yet... they're having troubles with the title of the >album...(some name that starts with a "pi..." i think) apparently its >the title of the main character in some opera and the opera people are >throwing a fit. > >possible release oct. 8th Actually, I bought it today, though I haven't listened to it yet - the title is Pinkerton. TMBG related - since I couldn't get the single, I've got them holding me a copy of each (CD and Cassette) as well as a copy of FS. The release dates my friendly local music retail chain monolith has are: Factory Showroom - October 8th. S.E.X.X.Y. single - October 15th. :) James ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: Re: a world that swings... Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:53:28 GMT On Thu, 26 Sep 96 13:03:58 EDT, you wrote: > > > >Hey, > > I would just like to add my 2 cents...I have the chord sheet for the song >A WORLD THAT SWINGS....I have it cause J&J gave it to me with their >autographs on it.....Now I have a question...I read the Sep. 26th version of >the list and someone named Joey said that this song was on the maxi single >for S.E.X.X.Y., but how would he know this if it didn't even come out >yet......mmmmmm I wonder....how could he of smuggled a copy... > > > ant... >-- > I got it from John Relph's discography. It has everything they've ever been in or worked on listed. If you would like to check it out for yourself got to http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ I don't have a copy of it yet, but I do know that SEXXY and Metal Detector both rule!!!!! I'm anxiously awaiting the album or single whichever comes out first. Later, Joey ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:46:39 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TRUgLE On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: > FLood - popular Kiddie > Miscc T - super non-mainstream bestest > Apollo 18 - Guitary borrowed > John Henry - horny. well I mean as in lots of horns. maybe I should have > said "hornfull" weird, overdone > FActory Showroom - in the immortal words of Mr. John Flansburgh ... "next > step" In the immortal words of Mr. John Linnell ... "All Fucked Up."--March '96 S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:55:31 -0500 (CDT) (I'll probably ramble on a bit... You might wanna skip this one) > It's people like you that aren't true fans. > > > See the light buddy. Whoa, easy there... Differing opinions are not the things of wars (well, they are, but they shouldn't be)... Personally, I pretty much agree with BlueDawg or Idiotnot, or whatever name he's assumed as of late... [1] I'd say that the fact that people like him and me [2] are still faithful to TMBG even during what we perceive to be a slump in Their efforts at furthering the goodness in the universe [3] is an indication of our dedication and everlasting devotion to the greater good of TMBG... Being a fan doesn't mean blindly accepting whatever music a group is throwing at you, and using that as a basis for what you think is good... Take a look at the music that's being presented, weigh it against what you like and what you think the band's best work is, and then make the judgement for yourself. Again, personally, I think They're losing Their touch; it makes no difference right now... Until They start coming out with remakes of Pearl Jam or *gasp* Hootie songs, I'll remain a loyal and true fan. -CJ, and his $.02 reluctantly in tow. [1] Well, you all know my views on that; if not, have someone send you some digests from when I went on that big "mainstream" trip I went on at the beginning of the year (I think that was when...) [2] Some of you are doubtless right now saying "him and I!!! Him and _I_!!!". This is wrong... Were I to take out the "him and", the sentence would read "...people like me are still faithful..." So there. [3] God, that's a convoluted sentence, isn't it? If you actually make your way through that one and understand it, give yourself a few points. I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`"~"""~"~"~"'~"~"~~"~"`""`"<<>>"~~'`'"""~"""'~""'"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 26 Sep 1996 15:06:34 EST Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Wow! This morning at about 7:45am, Ana Ng was going off on M2. Then on MTV they played "Hey Jupiter", then after that back on M2, they played "MY Sharona".. woo hoo... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:44:56 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom No for the love of god! It's not on the album! It's only on the single! That's why they put other songs on singles! So you'll buy them for the other unrealeased song! WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK SENSURROUND IS ON THE ALBUM?????? I HAVE IT! IT"S NOT! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:47:15 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: >TMBG boots? >Is my e-mail up shit creek and printing mystery characters, or >have I missed out on possibly the greatest fashion moment in >recent history? >(incidentally, I am UK size 4, Euro size 37) I don't believe it! We have a winner for dumbest thing said on the list! Nothing pesonal but hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! Okay I'm dun. Wait no... heheheheheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehehe heheh BOOTS! heheheheheheheheheheheheheehheheheheehheeheheheheheheheheheheheehehehe BOOTLEGS! heheheheheehehehe ok. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:52:18 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Oh my my! Well, I came home today to encounter tickets to the RI show on saturday. There will be 600 people, and it shoul be a helluva show. The candy butchers are openning and I don't believe I didn't know this! I love them. You must all be mad at me. Especially you Michael Rose. I have FS too. NA Na Na Na NA! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:05:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Helene Subject: New York Shows Just wanted to say thanks to the girl who sold me her extra ticket last night, what a life saver... the show was good, 90% new stuff, but a lot of fun even though half the people there didn't seem to want to dance, which seemed wierd to me... the exciting news, was that they are coming back again to do a huge show at the Roseland, on Nov. 8th, it hasn't been officially announced yet, but they told us at the show... the open guy was this really funny poet, who wrote a book called Mother Said... Altough I don't know if you would have gotten it or not if you weren't jewish... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such peace and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TRUgLE From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:06:41 EDT On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:46:39 -0400 () BlueDawg writes: >On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: >> John Henry - horny. well I mean as in lots of horns. maybe I >should have >> said "hornfull" > >weird, overdone Weird is too _good_ for a description of JH >> FActory Showroom - in the immortal words of Mr. John Flansburgh ... >"next >> step" > >In the immortal words of Mr. John Linnell ... "All Fucked Up."--March >'96 In the words of me "Hi, we're a rock and roll band" =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:08:11 EDT On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:47:15 -0400 (EDT) gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) writes: > >>TMBG boots? >>Is my e-mail up shit creek and printing mystery characters, or >>have I missed out on possibly the greatest fashion moment in >>recent history? >>(incidentally, I am UK size 4, Euro size 37) > >I don't believe it! We have a winner for dumbest thing said on the >list! >Nothing pesonal but >hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! No I believe that was sarcasm and that makes YOU the winner, congrat Robby. Not the first time... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:17:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: See you in Albany? Hi. remember, if you are going to be at Friday's Albany show, I will be there too, so say hi to me please. I mean it. Ryan Staib: thanks for the Mr. Flippy post. Ryan knows what you out there have yet to learn, and that is the greatness of Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour. In fact I can't figure out why you're not there right now. And to our friend, the long lost Brother John Bejezus, where are you? It's been a couple of weeks and I have not heard from you, Bejezus. Don't make me hunt you down like an animal. Well, see you in Albany. There will be info on this concert posted here, and to my page, when I return. Mike www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:30:24 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > (I'll probably ramble on a bit... You might wanna skip this one) > > > It's people like you that aren't true fans. > > > > > > See the light buddy. > > Whoa, easy there... Differing opinions are not the things of wars (well, they > are, but they shouldn't be)... I decided not to elevate it; that's why I didn't respond. > Personally, I pretty much agree with BlueDawg or Idiotnot, or whatever name > he's assumed as of late... BlueDawg. > [1] I'd say that the fact that people like him and > me [2] are still faithful to TMBG even during what we perceive to be a slump > in Their efforts at furthering the goodness in the universe [3] is an > indication of our dedication and everlasting devotion to the greater good of > TMBG... Being a fan doesn't mean blindly accepting whatever music a group > is throwing at you, and using that as a basis for what you think is good... Heh...that sounds like what the Oasis, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc etc fans do. I suppose that REM could come out with an album of banjo music, and it would sell like hotcakes. > Take a look at the music that's being presented, weigh it against what you > like and what you think the band's best work is, and then make the judgement > for yourself. Again, personally, I think They're losing Their touch; it makes > no difference right now... Until They start coming out with remakes of > Pearl Jam or *gasp* Hootie songs, I'll remain a loyal and true fan. And from what I've seen and heard, Flansburgh wants to be a rock star, and Linnell wants to go off on his Tangents, as he was able to do in the first few albums. If you noitce, his (Linnell's) songs since Flood have been very, very canned and calculated. There are a few exceptions, especially on Apollo 18, but those are getting fewer and farther between. But Flansburgh's work is the most telling. Look at what he put out on the first two albums, and then look at John Henry. Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head vs AKA Driver. Snowball in Hell vs Out of Jail. You get my point. I think it's getting to the point that it's: "John Flansburgh, leader of Mono Puff and They Might Be Giants. Mega-Rockstar." The evidence is there, and has been put out on alt.music.tmbg. Y'all just missed it. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 14:44:45 MDT Subject: Bootleg Video Status Video Bootleg Status Update Hello, I'm still looking for contributions to my TMBG video bootleg project. I need more stuff before I can do a second volume. Check my list of TV appearances and videos. If you have items that I don't have (check for a "*" or a "1" next to the date, which mean that I already have it), send me a message so we can arrange a trade. If you want to get Vol. 1, check out my web page for details. Russ They Might Be Giants TV Appearances--Master List

They Might Be Giants TV Appearances--Master List

08-31-96
Date     V  Time    Show            Songs
--------    -----   -------------   ----------------------------

??/??/??                            Flans cable interview           Pat Savage

??/??/??            Kemp Mill Music I Hope That I Get Old BID       Pat Savage
                                    Cage and Aquarium [inc]

??/??/88            Arsino Hall     They'll Need A Crane [live]

??/??/88            Nick Rocks      Ana Ng [video]

??/??/88 *  01:40   Record Guide    Lie Still, Little Bottle [live] Jon King
         *  01:00                   dial-a-song, bike accident      Jon King
         *  02:00                   I'll Sink Manhattan [live/titles]

12/??/88 *  01:45   120 Minutes     Istanbul [live]                 Jon King
         *  00:40                   dial-a-song plug                Jon King
         *  01:30                   Your Racist Friend [live]       Jon King

02/??/89 *  03:05   Letterman       They'll Need a Crane            Jon King
         *  00:30                   [network TV debut]              Jon King

07/??/89            Post-Modern MTV Purple Toupee [video]           Pat Savage

??/??/?? *  02:20   Post-Modern MTV Whistling in the Dark [live]    Jon King

??/??/?? *  02:00   Post-Modern MTV Maybe I Know [live]             Jon King

Post-Modern MTV Letterbox [live]                Pat Savage

??/??/?? *  02:00   Post-Modern MTV Lucky Ball and Chain [live]     Jon King

??/??/??    ~10min                  FLOOD PROMO                     Tim Young
                    Theme from Flood plays as we see outside of Italian cafe.
                    John & John sitting in a booth together, talk about Flood.
                    "We have made a record with 19 songs!!"   There are some
                    snippets from previous TMBG videos.  John and John intro-
                    duce the songs .. and a caption for each title comes up on
                    the screen as the title section of each song is played
                    There is an edited bit of a British TV appearance.
                    They play an acoustic version of Particle Man.
                    Back to the cafe where J and J sit and listen to Birdhouse

03/??/90 1  02:15   120 Minutes     Interview (Barbara Bush)        Matt Coon
         1  02:00                   Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live]
         1  02:20                   Puppet Head [video]
         1  02:00                   Particle Man [live]
         1  02:00                   Interview
         1  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS [video]

04/??/90 *  02:10   Tonight Show    Birdhouse in Your Soul [/live]  Jon King
         *  01:50                   Interview Jay Leno on "Flood"
         *  01:30                   Istanbul [live]

04/??/90 *  12:10   Request Video   Interview w/Katy Manor of KROQ  Jon King

05/??/90 1  02:25   Muchmusic       Interview segments              Mike Rose

05/12/90 1  04:08   Letterman       Your Racist Friend [live]       Mike Rose

02/01/91 1  01:48   Tiny Toons #51  Introduction                    Bryan White
         1  02:30   TT Music TV     Istanbul [animated]
         1  02:15   TT Music TV     Particle Man [animated]

??/??/??    ~10min                  A18 PROMO                       Tim Young
                    "Integrity Project" song plays over a still of J & J in the
                    studio.  "Power Sphere" voice explains about A18 and intro-
                    duces "Statue" video.  Voice explains how the album follows
                    favourite TMBG themes (Nature, Human Relations, Personal
                    Ambitions, Death) accompanied by some funny animation
                    Voice explains about NASA space year.  funny bit where a
                    spaceman made from plastic is dangled on a string to
                    explain how TMBG can fill the current "Culture Hole"
                    (represented by a ring Doughnut).  The principle of
                    Power spheres (Melody, Fidelity, Quantity) is explained.
                    "You can't create a masterpiece dabbling in finger paints"

??/??/92            JBTV            I Palindrome I                  Pat Savage
                                    When it Rains it Snows

04/13/92 1  00:25   Muchmusic       Introduction                    Mike Rose
         1  01:50                   She's Actual Size [live]
         1  03:40                   Interview (RPM appearance 4/14)
         1  02:15                   Mammal [live]
         1  03:32                   The Statue GMH [video]

04/26/92 *  05:00   120 Minutes     Interview w/Dave Kendall        Jon King
                                    The Statue GMH [video]          Erik Swedberg
         *  02:00                   She's Actual Size [live]        Jon King
         *  00:55                   Mammal [live over the credits]  Jon King

05/19/92 1  01:00   Letterman       Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         1  02:45                   I Palindrome I [live]

07/05/92 1  00:30   Tonight         Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         1  04:20                   The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus]
         1  02:45                   Interview:  pass the dude
         1  03:35                   The Statue GMH [live]

??/??/??            Letterman       The Statue GMH                  jenns@mail.voicenet.com

03/??/93 1  01:30   120 Minutes     J&J host "New Wave Marathon"    Matt Coon
         1  04:10                   The Guitar [video]
         1  00:30                   Hotel Detective (clip)
         1  00:30                   Ana Ng (clip)
         1  00:30                   They'll Need A Crane (clip)
         1  00:20                   "Then We Die" [song]
         1  01:00                   Dial-a-song plug

06/??/93            120 Minutes     Particle Man
                                    Where Your Eyes DG

08/??/93            120 Minutes     Why Does the Sun Shine?
                                    [various jams by the band]

09/05/93            120 Minutes     Why Does the SS [live]          Erik Swedberg/DAVID A. MEYERSON
                                    TMBG [instrumental]             Destin B
                                    No One KMP [instrumental]       Destin B

10/26/93 1  03:45   Conan O'Brien   Why Does the SS [live]          Mike Rose
         1  05:15                   Interview:  Shatner's mug
         1  01:30                   show closing/thank you

??/??/94 1  04:45   Good Morning    Dirt Bike [live]                Russ Josephson
         1  00:15                   Dirt Bike [live over credits]   Matt Coon

??/??/??            John Stewart    WDTSS                           jenns@mail.voicenet.com

10/??/94 *  01:15   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts         Jon King
         *  00:30                   intro playing "Frankenstein"    Jon King
         *  03:10                   Why Does The Sun Shine [live]   Jon King
         *  00:40                   intro playing NOK My Plan       Jon King
         *  00:35                   intro playing Ana Ng            Jon King
         *  00:40                   intro playing The Guitar        Jon King

10/??/94 *  01:00   120 Minutes     premiere of Snail Shell video   Jon King

10/06/94 1  01:04   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts         Bryan White
         1  00:30                   Introducing the band
         1  03:25                   Snail Shell [video]
         1  00:45                   The Cramps video intro
         1  00:30                   "Reverend Horton Heat" song
         1  03:25                   AKA Driver [live]
         1  00:30                   words after Lucious Jackson vid
         1  00:35                   Frente video intro
         1  01:00                   "59 Minutes Left To Go" song
         1  00:30                   MC900' Jesus intro
         1  00:30                   Dambuilders video intro
         1  00:38                   words after Pale Saints video
         1  00:25                   Cranberries video intro
         1  00:41                   Jeff Buckley video intro
         1  02:30                   The End OT Tour [live/credits]

10/31/94 1  03:30   Conan O'Brien   Nyquil Driver [live]            Matt Coon

??/??/94            JBTV            Subliminal                      Pat Savage
                                    Destination Moon
                                    Meet James Ensor

??/??/94 *  01:00   Jon Stewart     Interview                       Jon King
         *  03:30                   Snail Shell [live]              Jon King
         *  01:00                   Destination Moon [live/credits] Jon King

01/??/95 1  02:10   House of Blues  Istanbul [live]                 Ryan Staib
         1  00:28                   Interviews
         1  02:07                   No One Knows My Plan [live]
         1  04:38                   The Guitar [live]

Summer95            Celebrate Brooklyn Festival

??/??/??            Cartoon Planet  No One KMP [on intro]
                                    The End Of TT [on credits]

??/??/?? *  03:15   Sound FX        Interview: MMPR movie XTC trib  Jon King
         *  03:15   w/Karen         Spy [live]                      Jon King
         *  00:35     ??????        dial-a-song plug                Jon King
         *  00:40                   Dirt Bike [live/instrumental]   Jon King
         *  05:30   Brian Dewan interview/Obedience School [live]   Jon King
         *  01:02                   The Guitar [live over credits]  Jon King

04/??/96 1  00:56   120 Minutes     "There's Just 120 min" song     Russ Josephson

09/21/96            Larry Sanders   ??????

=============================================================================
Regular Videos:
=============================================================================
                    TMBG Video      PYHI The Puppet Head
                    Compilation     Don't Let's Start
                                    Hotel Detective
                                    Ana Ng
                                    They'll Need a Crane
                                    Purple Toupee

??/??/?? 1  02:24   Teletunes       Don't Let's Start [video]       Russ Josephson
??/??/?? 1  02:20                   Puppet Head [video]             Matt Coon
                                    Hotel Detective

Ana Ng
                                    They'll Need a Crane
??/??/?? *  02:35                   Purple Toupee [video]           Jon King

03/??/90 1  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS [video]           Mike Rose
05/??/90 1  02:30                   Istanbul [video]                Mike Rose
??/??/?? 1  03:32                   The Statue GMH [video]          Bryan White

04/??/92 1  04:10                   The Guitar [video]              Mike Rose
??/??/?? 1  03:25                   Snail Shell	[video]             Bryan White

06/??/96                            The Devil Went Down (MonoPuff)

All contents Copyright 1996 Russell Blaine Josephson. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:33:27 -0500 (CDT) > Heh...that sounds like what the Oasis, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc > etc fans do. I suppose that REM could come out with an album of banjo > music, and it would sell like hotcakes. But I _like_ bands like Pearl Jam (well, early Pearl Jam, anyway...), Smashing Pumpkins (well, early Pumpkins, anyway...), and REM (well, early REM, anyway...)... They're just so frigging mainstream it hurts, and I'd rather not see TMBG slip into the abyss of sounding like everything else out there... (Although we're _not_ going into the Oasis debate again) They haven't done it yet. Right now, I think it's just bordering on possibly falling into that hole... They haven't done anything so far that would make me turn away, and if they get mainstream, they'll still be writing good music. There's even some mainstream "alternative" stuff that I can really get into; I just happen to think that if you've got something that's _not_, you should stick with it. (Justification for this whole letter: I don't want to see my comments about Pearl Jam or whatever turned against me - I _like_ that stuff too.) There's an awful lot of hate and negativity running around the list now... A couple of my friends have already unsubscribed... Personally, I think it's more a pre-album trauma thing right now... If TMBG goes the way of mainstream, so be it. They might lose some hardcore fans and gain droves of fickle followers [1], who'll laugh in some of our faces for being discouraged... This will be the road They have chosen. Some of us will be disappointed and may never buy a They album again. So be it. Some of us will think this is the best thing that ever happened to the band. So be it. Also, remember this: Everything travels in cycles... This could be one... Perhaps despite all the fear surrounding us "earlier works" freaks now, They'll come back and do a second Pink Album for us, and things will all start to happen again... I'm most inclined to believe this philosophy. [2] So be it. Anyway, sorry for rambling; I just don't like it when my statements get inadvertently twisted around in ways I didn't intend them to go.... Ciao! -CJ [1] Don't you hate it when you're trying to make a serious point and the only phrasing you can come up with is alliterated or whatever? Or when you accidentally rhyme and end up sounding like Dr. Seuss? I hate that... ;) [2] Actually, I'm most inclined to believe that They're in danger of breaking up, but hey, whatever happens, happens... 'Twould be a sadness, indeed, but you can't force creativity on a group filled with strife... I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`"~"""~"~"~"'~"~"~~"~"`""`"<<>>"~~'`'"""~"""'~""'"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: i don't know anything Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:00:12 -0500 (EST) > > Someone asked why They released an average single in S-E-X-X-Y. > Maybe They don't want to get popular? > Heh, no, that doesn't seem to be it... > i know i'm a little late, but YAY!!! NO MORE 2PAC!! sorry if you liked him, > but he sucked. bad. > Yeah, I love it when people who suck get murdered. That really rules. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:06:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: FS "They Might Be Giants might be on their last legs as kitschy pop pundits. Still, they continue to head bravely into the froth. Check out smart -alecky diatribes like "XTC vs. Adam Ant," "Exquisite Dead Guy" and "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?" Besides, darn it, it's about time someone inked an ode to James K. Polk." - E! Online Homepage blurb on TMBG. Can someone define 'kitschy' and particularly how it relates to 'pop pundits'. Smart-alecky? Do they really seem smart-alecky? Hmmm, I guess sophmoric is the other side of twisted takes on sacred cultural cows. It's about time? Gee, that was a well-researched comment. RS ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:27:20 -0500 (EST) > Flansburgh has gotten better, IMHO, but he's different that Linnell, > and seems to have the "I'm a big rockstar, look at me, I know Frank Black" > attitude. Well, that seems like a fairly accurate view... > Linnell is probably trying too hard to write things that fit > into Flansburgh's rock-n-roll album. I don't know, "Exquisite Dead Guy" didn't exactly strike me as grist for the Hit-Mill. Neither did "Window." On the other hand, Linnell has given us such poppy little rock songs as Don't Let's Start, Rhythm Section Want Ad, Ana Ng, etc. I see great continuity between these songs and songs like, "Until My Head Falls Off." And I *like* Sensurround... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:51:07 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Toledo Show & Test I, too, am quite new to this posting thing, though I've played the voyer for several months. I'd just like some info on the THEY show (with Hootie?) taking place in Toledo. "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:56:13 -0500 (EST) > > There's an awful lot of hate and negativity running around the list now... > A couple of my friends have already unsubscribed... Personally, I think it's > more a pre-album trauma thing right now... You know, it's true. We typically at least wait until the new album is actually released before scores of people start complaining (1) that they hate the new album, (2) that the band has sold out and gone completely mainstream, and (3) that it doesn't sound like TMBG anymore because it sounds so different from all of the other records. (And, of course, (4) I'll have to stop listening to TMBG now that people who have never heard them before are BUYING THEIR RECORDS!!!) Gosh, what will we have left to talk about after it actually comes out? m@t ------------------------------ From: Aaron Stephen Kohlbeck Subject: Hello Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:05:33 CDT Hello all, While not exactly new to the list (I've been subscribed for a coupla weeks), this is my first message. Just wanted to add a couple of things: 1)I just heard "S-E-X-X-Y" on the radio. Kind of funky. I liked it, although it was nothing like what I expected (don't really know what I expected, tho.) I am blessed in that I have a cool radio station here that plays TMBG fairly regularly. Mostly older stuff tho, which isn't all bad. 2)The last time I saw Them was about 3 years ago (They were touring for John Henry to give you a time frame). What a show, although I went with this girl that I like who dumped me like two days after the show. I am going to go see Them with Hootie. I *know* I am going to be sitting to some older people who are going to say "Who is They Might Be Giants?" I don't wuite know if it is worth the money and putting up with Hootie, I hope so. 3)Just as a side note: I first say TMBG on MTV about 8 years ago. It was a Dr. Demento video show (with Fish Heads and the like) and I think it was DLS (is that the one where they have the big carpets on their heads?) It was an epiphany for my young 14 year old mind. However I then forgot Them for like 5 years. Oh well. 4)I've said my piece. You probably won't hear from me for a couple of weeks. Maybe. Aaron -- Aaron Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant everlast@cs.wisc.edu Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Today's happiness caused by: Just bought the Sublime CD and can't stop dancing ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:18:39 -0400 From: SENTINEL Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Well, I don't normally post to the List, usually, I just lurk. (Though those who frequent Utopia Pkwy. will recognize me as Sensurround) but I feel compelled to reply to this MONSTER of a digest that appeared in my box this morning. I have comments on many things: First I will say that I have not read that they are touring with Hootie in any OFFICIAL capacity (i.e. Elektra, The Official Page, etc..), and I have a hard time believing in this tour date list because NEVER in the years that I have been exposed to TMBG (about five, now) have they failed to tour through Cincinnati, Ohio. Every Tour since Apollo 18 (AT THE LATEST) they have been through here. If anyone has a URL or a place I can call that has the OFFICIAL tour list, Feel free to let me know, but until I hear it from a RELIABLE source (not that you guys aren't reliable, but you know what I mean) I'm taking thos Hootie thing as a joke. The only thing I have confirmed is ONE date with Hootie, opening at some festival. The only way I confirmed this is because I heard Modern Rock Live when they were on (and played Metal Detector and SEXXY! YAY!) and they announced that they were playing -=A=- date with Hootie, because they wanted to test out the new stuff before their world tour, and they wanted to see how they would fare with a more 'generalized' crowd. Can anyone prove me wrong? Another thing on which I have to comment is on the evolution (or De-evolution as some would say) of TMBG. I agree in a way, but I disagree in a larger way. You see, one thing a band needs to do is to grow (I know, being a musician myself). Back when I started playing, all I ever wanted was to be the next Nirvana (a long, long time ago), but since then, I've been exposed to new things and been influenced in different ways. I have progressed in a TMBGish way, while the co-founder of my original band (we have since parted ways as musicians, but remain best friends) had progressed in a Dave Matthews way (though once, he also wanted nothing more than to be the next Nirvana). I have been through many stages in my life as a musician, and some of them would terrify and alienate the people who used to love my playing. My guess is that the Johns have experienced something similar (though I enjoy the new direction they've taken. It doesn't terrify me, but it DOES alienate me a bit). Also, musicians can grow apart (musically, as I mentioned earlier), which would explain why They have been so interested in doing solo side projects, and attemtping to work with new musicians within TMBG. Perhaps They are afraid of getting old. And as to the fact the Flansburgh has been taking more of an aggressive attitude towards singing, I have two trains of thought on that subject. One is that he has been more or less overshadowed by Mr. Linnell for the entire life of TMBG. Perhaps John decided to let John try his hand (and mouth) at "leading" (though neither of them ever has been and ever could be considered "the leader"). The other school of thought is that I have noticed that many people who have been to recent shows noted that Linnell was complainiong of voice problems. Sure, it could be Lyringitis coupled with exhaustion from working so much (and he has been working hard lately, what with State Songs, then John Henry, then BIG TIME Touring, then House of Mayors, then FS then some more touring, and then a subsequent WORLD Tour, mayhap he's just a bit tired. Unfortunately, that is the least serious of his worries. If he's been working as hard as I think he has (and, yes, Flans also has been working hard, but simple point of fact, he sings lead on less songs on EVERY album before FS) he could be developing Chronic Lyringitis, or, worse, vocal nodes, nodules or polyps. Thse are VERY serious problems. If it is true, and the condition is aggrivated, John may NEVER sing again. It is possible that he has been advised by a physician to chill out on singing for awhile. Sorry to depress anyone, but that's cold hard life. Finally, as to the release of SEXXY as the first single, I think that, very likely, Elektra chose this. Why? Mass-market appeal. Most morons who would hear it on the radio would say "huh-huh.. pretty cool. Sounds like porno music" and, thus, would cause a broader, more generalized audience to take to it. Once again, sucks, but that's cold, hard life. Sorry to bore anyone who had to wade through my long-winded letter, but thats what happens when a lurker decided to voice his opinions. =) Sensurround sensurround@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 23:13:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Durn On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Brandon Callison wrote: > About the car crashing into the mountain... > > That happened last month or something. My Physics teacher told me about > it. > Actually, it happened well over a year ago, I heard it on the local college station (David Scur show, for those who keep score... damn, since he went off the air, my Sunday nights from midnight to 2am have been so damn boring) Now, what I want to know is, is there a 'net resource to all this Darwin stuff, I want to find out who all the other winners are. :) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ From: Joey@scott.net (Joey) Subject: LISTEN UP!!!!!!!! Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:25:37 GMT Frankly, the ''are they going to get popular?'' argument is getting old. They answer is simply put- NO. Let's face it- MTV sells records these days, not radio airplay. If your band has got a video to play, you're golden. If not, you wind up obscure. And remember, T.M.B.G. had a video to ''Snail Shell'', which aired two years ago at the time of ''JH''s release, a time during which MTV cherished any ''alternative'' material they could run. And they did. And did it work? Hell no. J& J even hosted ''120'' for the promotion of ''JH'', and the only ones who tuned in were those who gave a shit about T.M.B.G. to begin with. The ''Snail Shell'' clip aired during all hours of the day, yet no one took notice. To ''non-giants'', it was ''a new video by that damn annoying band again''. Now, times have changed. MTV will air anything, at any time, even giving such no-talent hacks as Marilyn Manson album sales from their ''scary'' videos that would previously get airplay only at 4 a.m., if at all. Now they get played at 4 in the afternoon. Point is, T.M.B.G. haven't made a video this time, and they won't due to Elektra's non-funding of videos (likely due to the non-existent response of the last video made) for this album, i.e. MTV can't soil the giants, and I seriously doubt the ''Hootie'' tour will, either. They''ll either get laughed offstage by a disrespectfull and undeserving crowd of VH1 yuppies and trendy Gen-Xers, or will be fed curious silence. Besides, you can thank Elektra for what will likely go down in T.M.B.G. history as the '' WHAT!!!!???'' tour. Face it friends, the giants are back and better than ever. Everyone just calm down and enjoy your visit to the ''Factory Showroom''.- Joey ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:38:07 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom >> There's an awful lot of hate and negativity running around the list now... >> A couple of my friends have already unsubscribed... Personally, I think it's >> more a pre-album trauma thing right now... Speaking of that... I think what some people on this list are doing is the exact opposite of what they think and say they are doing. (Read: "You guys say 'I hate how people will say they like a band just because the band is popular or it's cool to like that band', but then I see the same thing happening here: you'll like a band because they're not very well-known or popular, and liking a band that is unpopular is 'cool' in this albeit electronic community") One of my friends likes TLC, for instance, who I can barely stand, and when asked why he liked them he said "Cause they're popular". About 'True Fans': A true fan is not going to love all of an artists albums. Someone who loves all the albums and all the songs on the albums and all the parts of the songs... is probably caught up in the popularity (or un-) of the group. Well, anyway, I may unsubscribe from the list for a few weeks to avoid being influenced by other peoples opinions. I probably won't though. Some more random thoughts: When you get a new album, do you immediately compare it to previous ones, or evaluate it by itself first? Would you, if you got Factory Showroom and DIDN'T like it, say you liked it just to fit in? (Or try to make yourself like it?) If you can understand my random thoughts and ramblings congratulations. -evan -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:44:03 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 >The other school of >thought is that I have noticed that many people who have been to recent >shows noted that Linnell was complainiong of voice problems. Sure, it >could be Lyringitis coupled with exhaustion from working so much (and he >has been working hard lately, what with State Songs, then John Henry, >then BIG TIME Touring, then House of Mayors, then FS then some more >touring, and then a subsequent WORLD Tour, mayhap he's just a bit tired. >Unfortunately, that is the least serious of his worries. If he's been >working as hard as I think he has (and, yes, Flans also has been working >hard, but simple point of fact, he sings lead on less songs on EVERY >album before FS) he could be developing Chronic Lyringitis, or, worse, >vocal nodes, nodules or polyps. Thse are VERY serious problems. If it is >true, and the condition is aggrivated, John may NEVER sing again. It is >possible that he has been advised by a physician to chill out on singing >for awhile. Sorry to depress anyone, but that's cold hard life. wasn't it agreed upon that he smokes also? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:56:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, SENTINEL wrote: > Well, I don't normally post to the List, usually, I just lurk. > (Though those who frequent Utopia Pkwy. will recognize me as > Sensurround) but I feel compelled to reply to this MONSTER of a digest > that appeared in my box this morning. I have comments on many things: > First I will say that I have not read that they are touring with Hootie > in any OFFICIAL capacity (i.e. Elektra, The Official Page, etc..), and I > have a hard time believing in this tour date list because NEVER in the > years that I have been exposed to TMBG (about five, now) have they > failed to tour through Cincinnati, Ohio. Every Tour since Apollo 18 (AT > THE LATEST) they have been through here. If anyone has a URL or a place > I can call that has the OFFICIAL tour list, Feel free to let me know, > but until I hear it from a RELIABLE source (not that you guys aren't > reliable, but you know what I mean) I'm taking thos Hootie thing as a > joke. The only thing I have confirmed is ONE date with Hootie, opening > at some festival. The only way I confirmed this is because I heard > Modern Rock Live when they were on (and played Metal Detector and SEXXY! > YAY!) and they announced that they were playing -=A=- date with Hootie, > because they wanted to test out the new stuff before their world tour, > and they wanted to see how they would fare with a more 'generalized' > crowd. Can anyone prove me wrong? Hey Sens, good to see you post. I saw a newspaper ad here in Toronto for (insert name of devil-spawned band here) with the words SPECIAL GUESTS: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. This is consistent with the idea of a handful of these kinds of dates, and on the Restless page you can see these other dates with the Toronto date included. So yes, it is happening. I know, it's hard to believe, but it's real. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:58:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: Durn Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Sep-96 Re: Durn by Andrew Chapman@freenet.t > On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Brandon Callison wrote: > > > About the car crashing into the mountain... > > > > That happened last month or something. My Physics teacher told me about > > it. > > > Actually, it happened well over a year ago, I heard it on the local > college station (David Scur show, for those who keep score... Actually, it's happened several times, and it'll keep happening. It's one of them urban myths. Just to show this is TMBG related, Terry Pratchett, a noted (and annotated) TMBG fan, has explained this phenomenon in one of his books - Witches Abroad, I believe. Ok, so it's only a loose relation to TMBG but it's better than none at all.. -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:02:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: 25 O'Clock Ben or Been said: >THE SQUEAKY-FAST MESSAGE AT THE END OF _25 O'CLOCK_ IS: >"Go fuck yourself with your atom bombs." > >Pretty surprising. I didn't know Andy Partridge could curse. Well, he can (check the tape of XTC's "Drunken Jam Sessions" where Andy says, among other things, "C'mon, you fucking assholes, speed it up...") but that isn't him. Andy heard this guy singing the song "Go Fuck Yourself With Your Atom Bomb" and started to record it. Then, afterwards, this guy who sounds like Woody Allen called in and talked about what an awful song it was for like 20 minutes. The little snippet at the end of My Love Explodes ("And I'm complimenting it by even considering it a song...") is the guy calling in in response. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "And I see nations playfully hurl snowballs packed with stone and clay."| \--------------XTC, "You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful"----------/ ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:03:28 -0400 (EDT) Subject: This Mainstreaming Thing I just want to say that I believe there is a natural evolution in bands to go from unique and unequaled (early tmbg) to "mainstream." Most of it has nothing to do with money grubbing or label pressure. It has to do with the band's learning the inner works of the music industry, sure, but is more their process of being influenced by other bands, maturing as people, and changing personalities. Going "Mainstream" for Them may, as CJ wrote, cause the loss of many _thoughtfull_ fans, while it increases their following of _sheep_ fans, but that also is an evolution process most bands go through. Look at Metallica, in their early days they were followed only by "hard core" fans, because they were a lot more wild and out of control. Now they've calmed down a bit, musically, and have achieved a larger following (ignor the newest album). Anyway, my thoughts are that this was inevitable to happen to such a good band as Them, so let it happen. Just keep with Them, and when everyone else forgets (if They do become mainstream) keep an open door in the birdhouse in your soul :) Sorry for the long rambaling letter SJL ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: disk doctor Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:16:37 -0400 (EDT) Hi sorry to bother ya with this. Does anyone konw a site where I can download Norton Disk Doctor? Thanks Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:28:22 -0700 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 Here's a few replies to some Misc. T from the list: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Hi there...sorry to bug ya'll with a silly question that i know has been > answered before, but could someone please tell me the address to send > mail to if i have a question about my subscription to Hello? i thought i > had it somewhere, but it has disappeared...*sighs* i haven't gotten > anything yet, not even a bill, and i really want all the cd's and stuff. > so if anyone has the address, the information would be most appreciated. > thanx.. I don't think it's too silly of a question...I would love to know the answer, too! > Ben or Been here, Matt. > > I have the Aussie import. Here's a bigger lowdown on the thang: Thank you for your input. I'm still struggling with whether or not to buy it. I don't have the "Live in NYC" CD (although I would love to get my hands on that). And to add to the reason't FOR buying it, my JH CD is screwed up somehow during End of the Tour (it always skips and tweaks out), so I could actually use a new copy of that anyway. > It's no longer "they might be giants, but "They Want to be Giant". Actually, I believe They ARE Giants. > It is a great song, but how about She Was A Hotel Detective? I > personally believe it is a better song than Mrs. Train, although that is > great also. Then there is Ondine, which, again is very good (I rank it > just under Mrs. Train though). As a matter of fact, the only song on that > CD that I DON'T love to death is the Snail Dust remix. Mrs. Train is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. The more I listen to BTS, the more I love all of the songs on it. And I love the Snail Dust remix kicks ass!! > What are you talking about. How can you say that the last three > albums pale in comparison . All of their albums are good. Sure they > have maybe 2 or 3 not so good songs, but that's it. I mean, I rank > Apollo 18 as one of my all time favorites. And, if SenSurround and > Spiraling Shape are any indication of what Factory Showroom will be > like, then it's gonna rule. Just because they have a full band and a > little bit of a different sound, their sensibility is still there. > It's people like you that aren't true fans. What in the hell is a "True Fan"? > Hotel Detective- I think the version on BTS is much much better than the one > on The Pink Album. Mr. Flansburgh even said live that the original was a > very stupid song. I have to agree. The "original" Hotel Detective was the first song of TMBG that I ever heard, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I bought the She Was A Hotel Detective maxi-single cassette after reading an article in People magazine about them (this was about 1986-7). After hearing Hotel Detective I was wondering why I had bothered, but by the time "Kiss Me, Son of God" and "For Science" were done, I was hooked! The new version of Hotel Detective is MUCH better in my humble opinion. And on the whole SEXXY/FS release date ordeal...I checked the "Muze" computer at a local record store, and under They Might Be Giants, they DID list Factory Showroom (with a 10/8 release date) but did NOT list any single. Sorry for the long post - I wanted to put my 2 cents in, but I didn't have change for a nickel. Matt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:06:15 -0400 From: Campbell Organization: InfiNet Subject: HELP If any one is around right now, please send me some addresses for site that have S.E.X.X.Y. or Metal Detector. I am on A strange PC!! This is Boba in disguise!! Thanks, Boba Out. If you get this after 9:30 please disregard. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: www.tmbg.com Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:29:53 -0400 (EDT) Good news! www.tmbg.com is soon to get some real web pages. I was contacted today by some of the Giant's people and got a sneak preview of some of the pages. The wait is almost over. I'll give a rollout date as soon as I can. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: albums/popularity Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:43:22 -0400 (EDT) Someone asked something to the effect of, will you listen to Factory Showroom as an entity in and of itself, ignoring the past albums, or will you compare it to the other ones? Well I find it nearly impossible not to make some kind of comparisons so yes I will (actually I already have) compare it. When I first heard it I thought most of the songs were great and that it was initially better than John Henry listening to the first few songs. I found it to be very strong. Thus, even if I don't caompare it to the others I find it as a really good album. And who the hell cares how many songs are on the album. I supposed if there were 5000 2 second long songs ya'all'd rather have it that way huh? What's so wrong with a little longer songs and 6 or 7 fewer ones total? I don't see a problem. Where is the formula that short songs will equal better ones? Even if you site a few in the past that were better than some longer ones you don't know if they will make a crap short song this time around. As for riding the non-popularity wave, I do admit a lot of the bands I listen to may be a little less popular than some of the mainstream bands out there (i.e. Hootie) but this is probably attributed to the style of music I enjoy. One of the main formulas I take into the process of determining whether something is good is if it puts a smile on my face, or if I can get up and dance to it, or if it really tugs a heart string. If the music is pure and good, I'll listen to it. Personally, I find synthpop to be one of the best styles of music out there. The American market doesn't seem to take this style seriously. So I look to the UK, to Sweden, Germany, and the few bands in the US that will put this music out. I also enjoy Irish/Celtic music and Britpop style of music. This music is actually pretty mainstream in other countries but not here. TMBG is one of those other styles that I enjoy. They are a rather unique band and not many are able to do what they can do with music. Thus I like them for their talent and abiliity to pull me in. So I don't know about everyone else, but my desire to like a bunch of non-mainstream bands does not lie in merely trying to be cool and join that group just to be cool. I for one would not give up on TMBG if they had big success with Hootie and tons of people bought their albums. I encourage people to buy TMBG albums whenever possible. So I guess when certain people say TMBG should stay small and non-mainstream, I say fooey. From an objective point of view, I can't see them turning into a Green Day or Hootie (according to their amount of popularity) because American society can't grasp them as being that big. This might seem convoluted but I hope you see what I mean. So tell all of your friends and strangers to go buy TMBG albums, they'll love ya for it! 8-) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:01:13 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Durn On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Christian A Wedge wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Sep-96 Re: Durn by Andrew > Chapman@freenet.t > > On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Brandon Callison wrote: > > > > > About the car crashing into the mountain... > > > > > > That happened last month or something. My Physics teacher told me about > > > it. > > > > > Actually, it happened well over a year ago, I heard it on the local > > college station (David Scur show, for those who keep score... > > Actually, it's happened several times, and it'll keep happening. It's > one of them urban myths. Just to show this is TMBG related, Terry > Pratchett, a noted (and annotated) TMBG fan, has explained this > phenomenon in one of his books - Witches Abroad, I believe. So you figured it out too. How many times do I have to tell these people? Current Score: BlueDawg and Christian: 2, TMBG-L: ??? S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:07:47 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-263 On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > >The other school of > >thought is that I have noticed that many people who have been to recent > >shows noted that Linnell was complainiong of voice problems. Sure, it > >could be Lyringitis coupled with exhaustion from working so much (and he > >has been working hard lately, what with State Songs, then John Henry, > >then BIG TIME Touring, then House of Mayors, then FS then some more > >touring, and then a subsequent WORLD Tour, mayhap he's just a bit tired. > >Unfortunately, that is the least serious of his worries. If he's been > >working as hard as I think he has (and, yes, Flans also has been working > >hard, but simple point of fact, he sings lead on less songs on EVERY > >album before FS) he could be developing Chronic Lyringitis, or, worse, > >vocal nodes, nodules or polyps. Thse are VERY serious problems. If it is > >true, and the condition is aggrivated, John may NEVER sing again. It is > >possible that he has been advised by a physician to chill out on singing > >for awhile. Sorry to depress anyone, but that's cold hard life. > > > wasn't it agreed upon that he smokes also? Yep. Both of them smoke, or so was discovered by one of the folks on the newsgroup. I don't know if the lack of Linnell songs on the new album has to do with his voice, or, more probably, lack of artistic inspiration sutiable for TMBG. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:58:26 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >> There's an awful lot of hate and negativity running around the list now... > >> A couple of my friends have already unsubscribed... Personally, I think > it's > >> more a pre-album trauma thing right now... > > Speaking of that... > I think what some people on this list are doing is the exact opposite of > what they think and say they are doing. (Read: "You guys say 'I hate how > people will say they like a band just because the band is popular or it's > cool to like that band', but then I see the same thing happening here: > you'll like a band because they're not very well-known or popular, and > liking a band that is unpopular is 'cool' in this albeit electronic > community") One of my friends likes TLC, for instance, who I can barely > stand, and when asked why he liked them he said "Cause they're popular". WhooHoo!! Someone else finally figured out my point!! Y'all criticize the folks who like the popular bands for "blind following" and then you do the same yourselves. One word fits here, "Hypocracy." > About 'True Fans': A true fan is not going to love all of an artists > albums. Someone who loves all the albums and all the songs on the albums > and all the parts of the songs... is probably caught up in the popularity > (or un-) of the group. Again, I have to agree. Look at the Greatful Dead fans. C'mon, people! They haven't put out any decent material in thirty years! Is it just the fact that y'all are so high on pot not to realize that? > Well, anyway, I may unsubscribe from the list for a few weeks to avoid > being influenced by other peoples opinions. I probably won't though. Some > more random thoughts: When you get a new album, do you immediately compare > it to previous ones, or evaluate it by itself first? Would you, if you got > Factory Showroom and DIDN'T like it, say you liked it just to fit in? (Or > try to make yourself like it?) No. I would call it what it is. Honesty, while unpopular, is the only route to go. The people who are truely honest with themselves dont' have to worry about being influenced by others. > If you can understand my random thoughts and ramblings congratulations. Got them. I also see that I have more than accomplished my objective here. I find that I have to be "negative" to get an effect from this list. It is truely sad, IMHO. Wake up, and smell the coffee. It's truely amazing when you do. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:08:04 -0400 From: Will Nunn Subject: Subjectivity The way the "discussion" on the list has been heading is getting me more and more frustrated. We seem to be forgeting the fact that all of the issues are completely subjective. What some people are throwing out that is in their opinion logic, is in other people's opinion mere rhetoric and vice versa. The fact of the matter is that many of these items we're discussing are all matter's of relativity. Just because BlueDawg thinks that maybe TMBG is becoming less and less the band he used to love and enjoy, doesn't make him any kind of faithless or heretical TMBG fan. Just like if I enjoy ALL of TMBG's works to date with equal satisfaction, it doesn't make me a "mindless follower." We both have completely different points on the issue and we are both absolutely right in a relative sense. It's the same for when, if, how, why, and what is involved with TMBG becoming popular. ALL of us on the list are going to have different and varying viewpoints on the matter, and ALL of the viewpoints are going to be correct. So let's stop all this arguing, and rhetoric hurling, because it only makes those involved angry, and those of us who try to stay neutral, frustrated. None of us are "mindless followers" OR people who secretly hate TMBG. Off my soapbox now, Will ============================================================= Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/ ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/ ============================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 22:45 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: This Mainstreaming Thing SJL wrote: > Anyway, my thoughts are that this was inevitable to happen to >such a good band as Them, so let it happen. Just keep with Them, and >when everyone else forgets (if They do become mainstream) keep an open >door in the birdhouse in your soul :) Throw the crib door wide, let the people crawl inside. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TRUgLE From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:52:21 EDT On Thu, 26 Sep 96 08:41:00 P "Rensink, Brenden BHS" writes: >FLood - popular I'd have to say 'fun'. 'Popular' really doesn't describe a album's style. > >Miscc T - super non-mainstream I'd have to say 'sloppy', but that is just my opinion. What I said about popular applies here, too. > >John Henry - horny. well I mean as in lots of horns. maybe I should >have >said "hornfull" I'd have to say 'depressing'. > >FActory Showroom - in the immortal words of Mr. John Flansburgh ... >"next >step" I'd have to say 'over-anticipated'. (But I haven't heard it yet.) > >Brenden - nednerB >AKA - the hypnotist of LAdies >~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ > misuser of verbs >*burnt to a crisp* +++ Justin Smith's witty signature +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Darwin From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:52:21 EDT On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:51:22 PST vinorojo@juno.com writes: >Chevy Pilot Nominated For 'Darwin Award' > >figured out what had happened. It seems that a guy had somehow gotten > >hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off - actually a solid fuel >rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra >"push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy >Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Sorry to bring this back, but I MUST point out something. If the device used on the Chevy is in fact a solid fuel rocket, than it is NOT a JATO. Jet propulsion involves the circulation of air, and a JATO would not fit on the car anyway. Assuming the story is true, the device would be a Rocket Assisted Take Off unit, or RATO. +++ Justin Smith's witty signature +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:18:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Durn On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Christian A Wedge wrote: > > Actually, it happened well over a year ago, I heard it on the local > > college station (David Scur show, for those who keep score... > > Actually, it's happened several times, and it'll keep happening. It's > one of them urban myths. Just to show this is TMBG related, Terry > Pratchett, a noted (and annotated) TMBG fan, has explained this > phenomenon in one of his books - Witches Abroad, I believe. Ah yes, I recall the book. :) > Ok, so it's only a loose relation to TMBG but it's better than none at > all.. ...Hmmm, and Douglas Addams is a noted fan of Pink Floyd (he in fact named their last album, Bellwhatever - well, that's what I heard anyway) Is there a connection? Some subtle weaving of reality that has escaped our notice? -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:37:52 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Re: Durn Terry Prachett is god come down amongst us mortals, who through the power of comedy has allowed us, the worthless peons of this world, to have the oppurtunity to smile at least once or twice in our miserablly short existence. As this is a function that TMBG provides as well the comment was strictly topical (Terry Prachett liking TMBG is just like a bonus). I have read every Terry Prachett book and all are better than any piece of drivvel that Douglas Adams has ever written (Douglas Adam's on his best day could only hope to compare to Terry Prachett on his deathbed). This letter has been amazingly off topic, but I just couldn't let anyone insult Terry Prachett without speaking out (and to compare Prachett to Adams that's criminal, Adam's is a mainstream wannabe Prachett). Jeremy Pokela Liberal/Socialist jpokela@d.umn.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 01:01:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: I have renewed faith in the radio Hey! I posted a few days ago complaining about Pittsburgh's local alternative station. Well, after emailing with BOBA about WYEP Pittsburgh and hearing that he got them to play Ondine, I vowed not to go to sleep thursday night until I heard TMBG on the radio for the first time. Well, I don't have school friday...so it wasn't that bold of a thing to do, but I called up WYEP at like 12:20 and the DJ was real cool, and I requested The Statue Got Me High....and they played it at like 12:30!!!! I was going crazy!!!! This was sooo coool!!! :) Thanx for listening... Josh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-264 ******************************