Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-265 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 265 Saturday, 28 September 1996 Today's Topics: Amy and the NYC lyrics Re: Durn Grateful Dead post (no TMBG content, but there was at first) BOBA MAIL Abandoning TMBG or making a deal? (none) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 The blur of FS mail and my long response Hi. TMBG! is there anything else WORTH talking about?! Re: Durn a true fan. unpopularity and hypocrisy album length (was Re: Albums/popularity) Re: album length (was Re: Albums/popularity) Re: unpopularity and hypocrisy Dial-A-Song is back!!!! Re: Darwin FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy BAD Gainesville Show News Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! FS Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! Re: Durn (none) TMBG North Carolina Show Short... please Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy Modern Rock Live BAD Gainesville Show News RE: Subjectivity Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! RE: Durn Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy RE: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: Hi. Mountain Stage Re: BOBA MAIL Re: The blur of FS mail and my long response DAS LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Factory Showroom Different + CJ knows what he is doing Single release date Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 Re: Short... Re: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom + Good Idea CJ Re: Modern Rock Live Re: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 *snarl* Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 01:56:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Amy and the NYC lyrics Amy, I tried to e-mail you a copy of the lyrics of NYC but my mail-server says your email addresses (onu.edu and tmbg.org) don't exist. Should I post it to the list or do you have another address that could work? Craig TMBG on WTSR page: http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte/tmbgonwtsr ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:17:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Durn Take me _OFF_ the list of people you're replying to. My original message (Durn) had NOTHING to do with this BS. I keep getting two messages about this, and I don't even want one! Stop it!!! Stop talking about that guy and his stupid car! No one wants to hear it anyway! Just a little pissed that 4 of 7 messages were total crap. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 06:35:37 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: Grateful Dead post (no TMBG content, but there was at first) > About 'True Fans': A true fan is not going to love all of an artists > albums. Someone who loves all the albums and all the songs on the albums > and all the parts of the songs... is probably caught up in the popularity > (or un-) of the group. Again, I have to agree. Look at the Greatful Dead fans. C'mon, people! They haven't put out any decent material in thirty years! Is it just the fact that y'all are so high on pot not to realize that? Hi there. A note on this comment about the Grateful Dead fans. They haven't put out any decent material in 30 years? First of all, that's roughly how long they've been around. So you're saying the entire collection of GD stuff isn't that great. Secondly, I fail to see the correlation with being high and not having the ability to recognize good music from crap. There is some amazing guitar work done by Jerry Garcia, and excellent percussion from Mickey Hart. Now, I know some people who absolutely LOVE the Dead, and not because they're popular. They know all the words, collect the live shows, and truly love the Dead. I love Phish. I think Phish is great. Do I love ALL their songs? No. Does that still make me a fan? Yes, and I'm as much a fan of Phish as others may be of the Dead. So you really can't stereotype people like that. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't see where the logic lies in that statement. shep ------------------------------ From: "A Cultural Icon: BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:40:47 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL Wow. Never before have I been influenced in this way from mail. I mean like mail. Mail is the greatest thing that I have ever experienced. But never this impact. I was just very rude to a girl that I didn't even know. I didn't even know that I was doing it. All of this name calling and badmouthing has got to stop. I think that if you have something, that might be publicly damaging, to say to or about a person, then say it to them. The list is a public domain for talking about a cool band. Now I find it like when I go to a mall and see a couple fighting publicly. I just sit there and pretend that I don't see it. The mall is mine to, I don't have to pretend that I don't see things. And Now For Something Completely Different I downloaded that SEXXY file. It was great! I also did a Yahoo search for SEXXY. My results were not that great. Anyway, sorry for the speech. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:56:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: Abandoning TMBG or making a deal? Lou Fioritto wrote: > bottom line...if any of us stop > liking Them because They become millionaires or whatever, > we will be traders. ?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Uh,...do you mean "traitors"? -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:04:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u TMBG is playing Toronto (skydome) with Hootie on Oct. 16th. Does anybody know if there will be a Toronto TMBG show in a smaller venue. (I would pay the high ticket price just to see TMBG open for a band I'm not really into, cause I've never seen them live, but of course I'd prefer to see them do their own show somewhere else in Toronto.) -Sean Mootrey (new subscriber) OH, and also--can anyone tell me the current deal with the INFO club? Do people get these things on a regular basis, cause the last one I got (only one I got) was right after JH was released? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:19:59 -0400 From: Josh Glover Organization: JRprogramming Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 > From: Thomas St Francis Gibson > > This is my first posting to this or any newgroup or list or > whatever, and I'm not sure if I did it correctly, so if I screwed up real > bad could somebody write me and say so? You did fine, dude! > Does anybody else out there think the nifty little tune > "Spacesuit" was written to mimic CPR? It's real cool that way. If you > listen to it when you are halfway asleep(or Drunk, maybe) You hear four > "compressions" (with cymbals), Followed by two long "breaths" At the end, > though, the guy in the spacesuit peacefully expires. (I Almost Cried). That's funny, cuz Spacesuit is the only song that They ever did that I canna stand. > > Lincoln - Goofy > > The songs _sound_ goofy. but the lyrics are darker than any other TMBG album > around... Darker than John Henry? > There will be 600 people, and it shoul be a helluva show. The candy > butchers are openning and I don't believe I didn't know this! I love them. The Candy Butchers have ruled all three times that I've seen them (and Them). -Mulder out Rage Against the Giants who sold you They Might Be the Machine! -me ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:03:20 -0400 Subject: The blur of FS mail and my long response Okay. So, I go for a day and a half without checking my e-mail and then... First off, of the 13 songs on FS (not including "Token Back To Brooklyn"), 7 songs are Linnell. 5 songs are Flansburgh. I am not including "New York City" in that count either, because neither John wrote it. I think I've burdened the list with enough cub-talk, though, so you know that already. Of the 22 songs recorded (in studio, not Edison) for possible inclusion on Factory Showroom, (again, not including "Token..." or "NYC"), 12 are Linnell and 8 are Flansburgh. From my perspective, this is not a Flans-song dominated album. Or at least on a pure #s/who sings what basis. It was once said to me that FS would be the album to comfort TMBG fans who were slightly disillusioned with John Henry. And I would agree. I think FS is a great album. I admit that Pet Name did take a couple of listenings before it grew on me. (And Flans said it would take as much himself before they played it at the ML.) I was finally won over by the line "And it's a lucky thing because that sentimental stuff doesn't suit you... at all." As for "Your Own Worst Enemy," I loved it from the first time I heard it. "Full bottle in front of me, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work, and after many glasses of work..." I heart that line. (More TMBDrinking!) In fact, I can run through the whole album and tell you how much I like all the songs... but if I had to pick my least favorite of them all, it would be "XTC vs. Adam Ant." And I don't think Linnell is fading away or losing his song writing touch. "Certain People" is incredible. I went through a period of about a month when I listened to it every night before I fell asleep. Hopefully, it will be released on more than just bootlegs of shows. And, please, let's not get into dire predictions about Linnell's voice. He sang all required songs at the Mercury Lounge, and though his throat did seem to be bothering him a bit by the end of the (second) set, I don't think that's anything to worry about. He was sick. From what I heard, he was extremely frustrated because he was sick. But all seems to be getting better now, so no need to start in with doomsday predictions. I don't know Flansburgh. I don't know Linnell. Thus, I don't know if "Flansburgh The Rock Star" has been beating "Linnell The Shrinking Violet" over the head with a guitar or one of those "Exquisite Dead Guy" puppets. (Find the sarcasm in that last sentence). I do know that Hootie are fans of TMBG, and they approached TMBG. I don't particularly like Hootie, but I'm not going to worry my girl-ish little head over it. tee hee. Also, I find that as I inch my way towards graduating with a bachelor of fine arts, my perspective on the whole "sell out" debate has changed. I like paying my rent. I like being able to feed my cats. I like having money to go to shows. And if I have to sell part of my soul, in a fit of desperation, in order to keep doing those things, I will do it. I'll still be the same punk rock donna reed that I've always been. (har har) I don't like people questioning my motivations, so I am not going to question anyone else's, John or no John. (But if you want to question the Johns', 'tis your right.) I could just go on about this subject for hours. And I have. Sorry. I was really cranky after reading all that mail. Love, Brooks, who is getting ready to leave for Albany. P.S. Short ML review - It was a great show. And Hal, whose last name I can't spell, was just as funny and deadpan as he was when he opened for Monopuff. Even Linnell was wearing one of his t-shirts! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:41:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Hi. Say, I don't know if people ordinarily do this, but since I'm new to this list, maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Sean, and I've been a fan for five years or so. I have all of TMBG's albums and most of their EP's. But I sure would like to get my hands on one of those Live in NY Hello Cd's, the original demo, and some of those live bootlegs too! Hopefully this list will keep me very well informed about concert dates, tv appearances etc, since I can't seem to get the info club letter sent to me. (do they still do that?) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:42:33 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG! is there anything else WORTH talking about?! This is my first posting on this list, so bear with me, please.. First, the single thing makes me really sad, but o well! What can I do? I guess just cry and be sad.. but why must I be sad? Second, with college comes the freedom to call anyone because I pay my phone bill now.. so I decided to try dial-a-song..Is it dead? I haven't gotten a response! What is wrong? Did anyone go to the TMBG concert at Harding U. in Arkansas??? I did, and it was pretty good. Worth the 6 hours it took us to get there.. Is any(trustworthy)one going to a concert that would get me a t-shirt that I could give them money for? huh? please? thats about all! There has been a few things on the postings that I don't really understand, but most of its good and iformative.Keep up the good work! heather from Oklahoma (editor of "Splink"..sad frog prod.) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:16 -0400 Subject: Re: Durn >>...Hmmm, and Douglas Addams is a noted fan of Pink Floyd (he in fact named their last album, Bellwhatever - well, that's what I heard anyway) Is there a connection? Some subtle weaving of reality that has escaped our notice?<< Sure there is. Pink Floyd --> Pink album. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "I don't buy everything I read, I haven't even read everything I've bought." - Barenaked Ladies, BOAPS ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:37 -0400 Subject: a true fan. >>What in the hell is a "True Fan"?<< oohhookaaay.. you wanna know? :) someone who gets into the band by buying a cd of theirs on an impulse at a cd store after hearing their witty songs on the radio from time to time. She then obsesses over this cd, being Miscellaneous T, and decides she quickly needs another, buying John Henry. Absolutely loving this, she buys Flood, later buys Lincoln, and no longer are they witty. They are gods. Musical geniuses. A18, and the pink album; a couple singles, bootlegs, and hey. A subscription to this list. >>Well, after emailing with BOBA about WYEP Pittsburgh and hearing that he got them to play Ondine, I vowed not to go to sleep thursday night until I heard TMBG on the radio for the first time. << Heh, Shep played The World's Address remix for me. ;) -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Look, I need my sleep. If I don't get my 23 and 1/2 hours, I'm cranky all day." - Dave Foley Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:16 -0400 Subject: unpopularity and hypocrisy As for non-popularity, I love it. I want to be myself, thank you very much. I'm not gonna be walking around looking, acting, talking, being like every one else at my school. Man, that would SUCK! Let me say that this is *not* the reason why I listen to obscure stuff, I think it just has something to do with the fact that obscure bands are comfortable with not having to impress the mainstream, so they are able to loosen up and record really good music how they want. Let me say, I am disappointed in some of you. Looking to shoot back at everything someone says about popular/unpopular music about how they are hypocrites. Come on! What does that make you? They like the band just as much as you do! If they just listened to TMBG because of their status, wouldn't they be posting "Which Giant's name is John" messages on the newsgroup rather than subscribing to the list? They're obviously interested in the band if they're on the list. -sarah, trying to create peace in a They community. http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Shim sham sha kam! Cattle explodes!" - Bruce McCulloch, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: album length (was Re: Albums/popularity) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:59:52 -0500 (EST) > What's so wrong with a little longer songs and 6 or 7 fewer ones > total? I don't see a problem. > Well, my only qualm is that every single time I listen to FS I suddenly find myself thinking, "What, it's over already?!?" This probably has nothing to do with the lengths of the songs themselves so much as it stems from the fact that I'm conditioned to expect a certain number of songs on a TMBG record and I feel like there should be still be more coming... m@t ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: album length (was Re: Albums/popularity) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:38:09 -0500 (CDT) > > What's so wrong with a little longer songs and 6 or 7 fewer ones > > total? I don't see a problem. Hrm... An interesting point. It's all just a big quality vs. quantity debate, perhaps... On one hand, you've got 20 or so songs which, well, hrm... And on the other, you've got 13 that are polished, longer, and, well, hrmml. I'm afraid my personal beliefs are too overwhelming to look at that debate objectively enough to make an interesting post. Anyone else care to comment? (To sum up: On one hand, who knows? And on the other, What?) -CJ I really need to update my .sig... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`"~"""~"~"~"'~"~"~~"~"`""`"<<>>"~~'`'"""~"""'~""'"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 14:57:47 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: unpopularity and hypocrisy On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > Let me say, I am disappointed in some of you. Looking to shoot back at > everything someone says about popular/unpopular music about how they are > hypocrites. Come on! What does that make you? The answer is a groupie. Okay, look at it this way. People on this list will flame REM, Oasis, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins , without remorse for their fans' blind following, and then scream "Blasphmy!" when someone dares to criticize TMBG. It is really telling about the need to follow/belong instinct in people. Many obscure folks consciously try to be nonconformist, but always just end up the same way. The Internet makes it easy to be conformist to groups you like, not just the ones that are easily accessible in your immediate area. The ones who don't conform to everything are the *real* individuals. I, personally, am very individualistic, and don't conform to anyone's standards. I may take a lot of flak from the conformists about that, but I've got the balls to handle it. I would be a lousy politician. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:01:32 -0400 Subject: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! YESSS!!!!! I just listened to Dial-a-song for the first time since this summer. It has been down since the middle of June for some reason. I tried around every other day since then to get through, and today it worked! The song is an alternate version of "Spiralling Shape" that uses fewer instruments. Flansburgh's back-up's sound kind of dark and gloomy, and really deep. Still, it's a really cool version of the song. You should all go and call right now. 718.387.6962. Neal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:06:57 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Darwin On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Justin Smith wrote: > On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:51:22 PST vinorojo@juno.com writes: > >Chevy Pilot Nominated For 'Darwin Award' > > > >figured out what had happened. It seems that a guy had somehow gotten > > > >hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off - actually a solid fuel > >rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra > >"push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy > >Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. > > Sorry to bring this back, but I MUST point out something. If the device > used on the Chevy is in fact a solid fuel rocket, than it is NOT a JATO. > Jet propulsion involves the circulation of air, and a JATO would not fit > on the car anyway. Assuming the story is true, the device would be a > Rocket Assisted Take Off unit, or RATO. It _IS_ a solid fuel rocket, but _what_ does it assist in take-off? Jets!! This story is an Urban legend, tho. JATO is the correct Acronym S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:27:19 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy Sarah wrote: > Let me say, I am disappointed in some of you. Looking to shoot back at > everything someone says about popular/unpopular music about how they are > hypocrites. Come on! What does that make you? Then BlueDawg wrote: The answer is a groupie. Okay, look at it this way. People on this list will flame REM, Oasis, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins , without remorse for their fans' blind following, and then scream "Blasphmy!" when someone dares to criticize TMBG. It is really telling about the need to follow/belong instinct in people. Many obscure folks consciously try to be nonconformist, but always just end up the same way. The Internet makes it easy to be conformist to groups you like, not just the ones that are easily accessible in your immediate area. The ones who don't conform to everything are the *real* individuals. I, personally, am very individualistic, and don't conform to anyone's standards. I may take a lot of flak from the conformists about that, but I've got the balls to handle it. I would be a lousy politician. I see where Sarah is coming from. On many occasions, when people call me at the station and want to hear one of the aforementioned bands, when I ask "Why?" in my usual kidding-mocking tone, it's because "They ROCK!". Not "Mike Mills does some great guitar work" or "Listen to the 3-part harmony in ." However, you're comparing apples and oranges. R.E.M. isn't a very good example, but look at the amount of bands that all fall into that same large pot of gumbo that sounds (tastes?) the same. Oasis, Bush, Foo Fighters, Silverchair.....they all have slight differences, but sound the same. TMBG, on the other hand, has a very distinct sound, and has for quite some time. To tell me that "Rabid Child" and "Glycerine" sound alike is preposterous. So when someone dares to criticize TMBG, a fan can always come back with reasoning as to why they like the band (quirky lyrics, samples, cool remixes, excellent production) rather than just "THEY ROCK!" shep ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:50:05 -0400 From: MLiq Organization: none Subject: BAD Gainesville Show News Unfortunately for me at least, the Alachua Music Harvest (http://www.atlantic.net/~gama/harvest.html) has decided to put TMBG on at 1 AM on Friday. Now for someone that can't go that late or on Friday night that really sucks. This is going to occur a week from today (Sep. 27) So hurry up and e-mail gama@atlantic.net and tell them so we can hopefully get it changed. P.S. If you have a TMBG related web page, join the TMBG Web Ring at http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/webring/ -- MLiq- mliq@digital.net *------------------------------------ |The They Might Be Giants Link Page| |http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/| *-------------------------------------------- |The They Might Be Giants Web Ring | |http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/webring/| *-------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:51:36 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! At 03:01 PM 9/27/96 -0400, you wrote: >YESSS!!!!! I just listened to Dial-a-song for the first time since this >summer. It has been down since the middle of June for some reason. I tried >around every other day since then to get through, and today it worked! The >song is an alternate version of "Spiralling Shape" that uses fewer >instruments. Flansburgh's back-up's sound kind of dark and gloomy, and really >deep. Still, it's a really cool version of the song. You should all go and >call right now. 718.387.6962. >Neal > > Neat-O. I called and heard The Bells. That song is cool IMO. -evan, waiting for Factory Showroom -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:10:18 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: FS well i finally got my hands on factory show room. sexxy sounds totally different than anything they've ever done before. and how can i sing like a girl kicks! well if anybody from allegheny college is on the list, expect to see a review of this in a couple of weeks. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Listen to the victim abused by the system...." PWEI "Help Help I'm being repressed!" - Dennis in the Holy Grail "OW!" - M.C.I. mci@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:39:54 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! > > At 03:01 PM 9/27/96 -0400, you wrote: > >YESSS!!!!! I just listened to Dial-a-song for the first time since this > >summer. It has been down since the middle of June for some reason. I tried > >around every other day since then to get through, and today it worked! The > >song is an alternate version of "Spiralling Shape" that uses fewer > > > Neat-O. I called and heard The Bells. That song is cool IMO. > -evan, waiting for Factory Showroom > -- They must have some sort of rotating song thing going on because I heard "Edison Museum" Cool. drg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:19:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Durn On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >>...Hmmm, and Douglas Addams is a noted fan of Pink Floyd (he in fact > named their last album, Bellwhatever - well, that's what I heard anyway) > > Is there a connection? Some subtle weaving of reality that has escaped our > notice?<< > > Sure there is. Pink Floyd --> Pink album. > Ah yes, I see it now. Bellwhatever (just what is that album called, anyway?) Dinner Bell. The Wall -> Window. (someone stop this thread before it gets any more rediculous :) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:31:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Here's a stupid question: People keep saying things like "I finally heard Factory Showroom" etc. How do they get to hear it before it's released???? Does everybody else already know the answer to this question? -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:39:00 -0400 From: "Crabtree, Sheryl" Subject: TMBG North Carolina Show Anyone else from NC on this list trying to find out info about the Oct 1 show? The Restless page announcing the new CD says that They will be playing at Magnolia Court, Wake Forest. Yet Pollstar lists the Oct 1 concert as being at the Magnolia Court in Winston-Salem. I've never heard of Magnolia Court... anyone else know anything about this show? thanks! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:27:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Short... Ruprecht: > First off, Unrelated thing is _not_ a short song. Secondly their >best, coolest songs are their shortest. ???? What the heck are you talking about? I will say that the short songs can add texture and up the "neat-o" factor on a TMBG album...but "their best, coolest songs"? I don't think so. The short songs are just amusing interludes between the long songs usually (although, I *do* really like "Letterbox"...) >These are Everything between >Don't Let's Start and Hotel Detective on the Pink Album (I'm talking >under two minutes, short), Cowtown, Lie Still Little Bottle, Mr. Me, >Everything after TNAC on Lincoln, Minimum Wage, and of course what can >compare to Fingertips? Oh yes, and almost everything on Misc. T, what a >great album. Yeah, but the longer songs are the meat of the album. Where would the Pink Album be without She's An Angel, Everything Right is Wrong Again, and Puppet Head? Where would Lincoln be without Ana Ng, Purple Toupee, and The World's Address? *I* probably wouldn't own them if they were all 2 minute "novelty" songs. BlueDawg: >I suppose that REM could come out with an album of banjo >music, and it would sell like hotcakes. But then after it came out everybody would complain about how badly it sucked. :) Besides, was it you (or was it Phil?) that said they'd buy a TMBG album full of "Cabbagetown"? m@t: >You know, it's true. We typically at least wait until the new album >is actually released before scores of people start complaining >(1) that they hate the new album, (2) that the band has sold out >and gone completely mainstream, and (3) that it doesn't sound like >TMBG anymore because it sounds so different from all of the other records. >(And, of course, (4) I'll have to stop listening to TMBG now that >people who have never heard them before are BUYING THEIR RECORDS!!!) > >Gosh, what will we have left to talk about after it actually comes out? Nobody has complained about the packaging yet. :) Sensurround: >First I will say that I have not read that they are touring with Hootie >in any OFFICIAL capacity (i.e. Elektra, The Official Page, etc..), and I >have a hard time believing in this tour date list because NEVER in the >years that I have been exposed to TMBG (about five, now) have they >failed to tour through Cincinnati, Ohio. Not only are the Hootie dates confirmed by the *other* official TMBG page (the Restless one), but a lot of people have already seen that the TMBG w/ Hootie tickets are already on sale. Don't be so paranoid. :) > And as to the fact the Flansburgh has been taking more of an >aggressive attitude towards singing, I have two trains of thought on >that subject. One is that he has been more or less overshadowed by Mr. >Linnell for the entire life of TMBG. Perhaps John decided to let John >try his hand (and mouth) at "leading" (though neither of them ever has >been and ever could be considered "the leader") This has something to it. Look at this list and the NG. What do you see about Linnell? He's "hot", he's such a great songwriter, he's clever, he's the "brains" or the "heart" of TMBG, he's the better half, etc. What do you see about Flansburgh? He's fat, he's strange-looking, his songs aren't nearly as good as Linnell's, he's an ass, he's to into being a rock star, he can't sing as well as Linnell, he's not as talented...you get the picture. If I was JF, I'd feel a bit left out. Evan Chakroff: >Some more random thoughts: >When you get a new album, do you immediately compare >it to previous ones, or evaluate it by itself first? Would you, if you got >Factory Showroom and DIDN'T like it, say you liked it just to fit in? (Or >try to make yourself like it?) Those two things are completely different. Saying you liked it to be "trendy" is just stupid. Trying to make yourself like it is a completely different matter. There have been many, many albums that initially left me cold but which I grew to love by listening to them again and again. >What's so wrong with a little longer songs and 6 or 7 fewer ones >total? It's not even that big a difference. It's maybe 11 long songs and 7 short ones vs. FS's 13 long and 1 short (Token Back To Brooklyn.) >WhooHoo!! Someone else finally figured out my point!! Y'all criticize >the folks who like the popular bands for "blind following" and then you do >the same yourselves. One word fits here, "Hypocracy." Especially since the idea "they can't be good if they're mainstream/popular/whatever" is not only completely absurd but also as bad or worse than the idea that something is good just because it's popular. >(Douglas Adam's on his best >day could only hope to compare to Terry Prachett on his deathbed) Two wor /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:54:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Gregory Subject: please I wanted to be on the mailing list but now I'd like to get off it I get so many messages it makes my computer crash please take me off it . thanx will ------------------------------ From: Delphin7@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:30:02 -0400 Subject: Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy In a message dated 96-09-27 15:54:16 EDT, you write: << On many occasions, when people call me at the station and want to hear one of the aforementioned bands, when I ask "Why?" in my usual kidding-mocking tone, it's because "They ROCK!". Not "Mike Mills does some great guitar work" or "Listen to the 3-part harmony in ." >> Yeah, I see what you mean, but sometimes, when a person just loves a song, when a song just grabs them and won't let go and they find themselves longing to hear the song in such an impossible and inarticulate way, all they can utter is something along the lines of "It rocks!" or "I just love it!" or whatever, they just need to hear it. Maybe they haven't separated themselves from it enough to be able to say what exactly it is about the song that they love. Or maybe the song just speaks to them. Or maybe I'm just insane. anyway. (of course, regardless, I'm not speaking from personal experience, at least not about any songs I've heard by the afore mentioned bands) But I have to say being a nonconformist to be cool isn't really being a nonconformist. And liking a band only because they're underground does not make you a fan. I think it's just as dumb to hate a band because they're popular as it is to "love" a band because their popular. If you don't like their music, fine. If you like their music, fine. People have different tastes and opinions. It's a good thing. I don't, however, know how many people They will really expose Themselves to by touring with Hootie. People can be really rude to opening bands. Mean People Suck, to quote a popular bumper sticker, and they tend to really show themselves when they're impatiently awaiting "their favorite band in the whole world." I didn't really mean to go off like that, but there you have it. I've been reading all these posts, and I guess they've been getting to me more than I'd like to admit. And I'm not accusing the people on this list of being nonconformists to be cool, or liking Them for any reason other than the simple fact that they adore Them. I just think everyone should think a little about it before they go spouting off like I just did. Til next time, (gulp), Lis ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:02:31 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Modern Rock Live Hi all, Previously someone (I forget who) mentioned that They played on modern rock live a couple of weeks ago. I remember this. That person also said that they played SEXXY and Metal Detector on the show during the Point Fest. Did they play any other songs, because I tuned in late, just in time to catch Their last song, I don't know which one, but I remember not being to impressed with it. Does anyone know which song that last song was, cause I have heard nothing but good about MD and SEXXY. Thought it had to be another one. THNX :-) SJL ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:13:34 -0400 Subject: BAD Gainesville Show News << << Unfortunately for me at least, the Alachua Music Harvest (http://www.atlantic.net/~gama/harvest.html) has decided to put TMBG on at 1 AM on Friday. Now for someone that can't go that late or on Friday night that really sucks. This is going to occur a week from today (Sep. 27) So hurry up and e-mail gama@atlantic.net and tell them so we can hopefully get it changed. >> Well, I agree the time sucks (at first I'd heard midnight, then 11:30--how the heck did it get pushed back to 1am?). But changing the day at this late stage wouldn't be fair for those of us who've already made plans to trek down there next Friday (it's a six-hour drive for me, and I know others who have set this day aside). Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 21:38:17 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Subjectivity >the viewpoints are going to be correct. So let's stop all this arguing, and >rhetoric hurling, because it only makes those involved angry, and those of >us who try to stay neutral, frustrated. None of us are "mindless followers" uh ..... sorry Will ...... wot, stop arguing .... Like right now .......errr OK. ......... ............. Hmmmmm .............. Why's it all suddenly gone rather quiet in here ? ........... oh well ....... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:57:13 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Dial-A-Song is back!!!! Statue@aol.com wrote: > > YESSS!!!!! I just listened to Dial-a-song for the first time since this > summer. It has been down since the middle of June for some reason. I tried > around every other day since then to get through, and today it worked! The > song is an alternate version of "Spiralling Shape" that uses fewer > instruments. Flansburgh's back-up's sound kind of dark and gloomy, and really > deep. Still, it's a really cool version of the song. You should all go and > call right now. 718.387.6962. > Neal Wow. I'm listening right now. It's a chorus of children singing particle man!! The only instrument is a piano. It's funny as hell! john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 21:49:18 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Durn >This letter has been amazingly off topic, but I just couldn't let anyone >insult Terry Prachett without speaking out (and to compare Prachett to >Adams that's criminal, Adam's is a mainstream wannabe Prachett). Errrrr ....... Didn't Douglas Adams come *before* Terry Pratchett ? TPs "Colour Of Magic" - 1983 DAs "Hitch-Hikers Guide" - 1978 So I fail to see how Adams is a Wannabe Prachett (sic). Besides, even ignoring the dates, the two (excellant) authors are such poles apart that it would be like saying that TMBG are like Oasis cos they're both Indie bands. (There, I knew I'd get this off-topic back on the road!) Oh and by the way, your celebrated authors name is PraTchett. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:32:55 EDT On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:27:19 PDT Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) writes: >TMBG, on the other hand, has a very distinct sound, and has for quite > some time. To tell me that "Rabid Child" and "Glycerine" sound alike > > is preposterous. Tell me that all the music on John Henry hasn't already been done in various decades and I will acknoledge your point here. As is, no one is criticizing The Pink Album or Lincoln or Misc or even Apollo 18 and Flood (which, though lots of people don't like it, was original before I got sick of it)... And, another large flaw in your logic, Glycerine is the only Bush song that doesn't sound exactly like the rest of them. >So when someone dares to criticize TMBG, a fan can always come back > with reasoning as to why they like the band (quirky lyrics, samples, > cool remixes, excellent production) rather than just "THEY ROCK!" There's very little quirky about JH, which is the way JF likes it. When have they sampled something in an album track since Lincoln? Maybe their remixes are "ok", but a "cool" remix is one that is liked more thoroughly and broadly than the single mix (bad example, but the knickel bag version of Hey Man Nice Shot [done by the Dust Brothers] is much better than plain old industrial, sans horns version). I've heard better production. Pat Dillet is ok at best. They could do better, but ask somebody else what happened to Bill Kraus. Note: I am speaking mainly in reference to John Henry, i.e. I like early TMBG and am being critical of recent TMBG. On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:50:05 -0400 MLiq writes: >P.S. If you have a TMBG related web page, join the TMBG Web Ring at >http://ddi.digital.net/~mliq/tmbg/webring/ Nah... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 21:38:37 UT From: "Martin Baker" Subject: RE: Fretting Factory Showroom >> There's an awful lot of hate and negativity running around the list now... >> A couple of my friends have already unsubscribed... Personally, I think it's >> more a pre-album trauma thing right now... >About 'True Fans': A true fan is not going to love all of an artists >albums. Someone who loves all the albums and all the songs on the albums >and all the parts of the songs... is probably caught up in the popularity >(or un-) of the group. Hmmmm, I don't know that you'd call them "True fans", Evan, but you'd definitely call them objective fans. It's got to be a pretty good band to knock up 135 songs (I seem to remember the figure for TMBG was somewhere around there but don't correct me if I'm wrong!!) and have someone like them *all* without criticism - unless that someone is supporting that group blindly (or unless the band are consistent God-like geniuses). A good case in point I've always found is the band Genesis. I have never known so many people for one band that have said "yeah sure I like but only up until the point when happened to them". In the case of Genesis, the almost unanimous for people is the moment Peter Gabriel quit the band and the antichrist himself Phil Collins took over. And yet the weird thing is - look how many albums Genesis sold with Peter Gabriel and compare it with how many they sold under Phil Collins. Somehow a piece of the jigsaw went missing - how did a band alienate their fan base so much, yet gain an entirely new one (and a larger one at that) ? The answer it pretty obvious - the band changed their musical style and the objective fans pissed off and bought something else. The message is - just because you like one album by a band doesn't mean you have to get upset if you don't like another album by them. It happened before and it can happen again. (Even the Beatles suffered this when they plugged in their sitars and invented psychedelia - loads of Merseybeat fans got very irate!). I wonder if in years to come for TMBG might end up being "until they got that damned band in". (Or perhaps I could suggest another one - "until Flans formed Monopuff" ?????? I haven't heard that theory suggested - do solo projects break up bands ?) Personally, I haven't found anything worrying about S-E-X-X-Y or Metal Detector - they are great songs. Or perhaps I am a fan following blindly and I haven't realised it yet! >When you get a new album, do you immediately compare >it to previous ones, or evaluate it by itself first? I'm sure we'd all like to say the latter but I'm sure we won't. Everyone reviews music, films, books etc by comparing it with its contemporaries - even the journalists do that. Give me one FS review in the papers/mags that doesn't mention "John Henry", "Lincoln" or "Flood" and I'll eat this e-mail. Mr_Badger ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Hi. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:36:31 EDT On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:41:15 -0400 (EDT) Robert Mootrey u writes: >My name is Sean, and I've been a fan for five years or so. I have all >of >TMBG's albums and most of their EP's. But I sure would like to get my >hands on one of those Live in NY Hello Cd's, the original demo, Good luck. The _original_ demo is only possessed by certain people, these certain people have been told by certain other people not copy this demo who in turn were told by others. These certain people will only give this demo out to certain people I don't know. In short, you will very likely _never_ see the _original_ demo. This is largely because certain people have left a certain List/Newsgroup due to the actions/stupidity of certain other people, but don't worry, you're new. But if you mean the 1985 demo, sure, just ask Mike Rose, bootleg master. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 19:04:57 +0600 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Mountain Stage Does anyone know if They are going to be playing on Mountain Stage for the release of FS? For those of you that have never heard of Mountain Stage suggest finding out if any stations near you broadcast it from http://www.pri.org/ They appear fairly regularly on it. Last time they played I was a bit upset I couldn't go, the tickets were sold out and my tape recorder was broken so I couldn't tape it. Luckly, I saw Them a month later. BTW, this is my first post to the list. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: BOBA MAIL Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:14:24 -0500 (EST) > > I think that if you have something, that might be publicly damaging, > to say to or about a person, then say it to them. The list is a > public domain for talking about a cool band. > Do you mean that that thing I heard about you, the wife of an important public official, and a certain food item should not be sent here...? m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The blur of FS mail and my long response Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:10:37 -0500 (EST) Brooks writes: > I admit that Pet Name did take a couple of listenings before it > grew on me. (And Flans said it would take as much himself before > they played it at the ML.) I just realized that "Pet Name" is the best new Squeeze song I've heard in ages...:-) > for "Your Own Worst Enemy," I loved it from the first time I heard it. "Full > bottle in front of me, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work, and after > many glasses of work..." I heart that line. (More TMBDrinking!) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Um, that seems like a pretty weak reason to like a song... (But then I still think it's a pretty weak song; I am still waiting for it to grow on me, though.) m@t "Full frontal lobotomy..." ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:07:36 -0400 Subject: DAS LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm happy to b able to report that the power of DAS is back with a vengence!!! happy news! fluffy news! joyous completely unrelated to all the dark discusions that i apparently missed news! yay! so call early, call offten, just call! i'm also happy to b able to say that the mercury lounge show was darn fun cept i think i got linnell's sore throat or whatever =p oh well.. everyone come to roseland cuz "that place is fuckn huge and it could get embaressing for us.. profesionally.."-flans hey, i got my ticket! seXXY is also nowhere to b found in nyc.. go figure.. apparently, however the yankees won some big game.. u shoulda seen the hords today at the ticket booth! LONG LIVE DAS, liz who's not gonna get into that she *likes* factory showroom.. n'uh-uh.. wouldnt dream of it.. babadabababadaba! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Factory Showroom Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:37:49 -0400 (EDT) I recall a post a while back by someone who was lucky enough to have an advanced copy of Factory Showroom. If you're that lucky person please e-mail me I'd like to ask you a few questions. While we're on the topic of Factory Showroom I just got this URL stuck in my mail box: http://www.sonicnet.com/feature/rabroad/ Looks like it might be something interesting to look at. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Different + CJ knows what he is doing From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:14:42 EDT I had this exchange with a good friend of mine who wanted to buy flood from me for seven dollars but I told to go to a used cd store: Me: "The problem with the people who try to be different is that they are all the same" Her: "You're one of the few people I know who is actually different" She said this is in an almost negative context, but, it made me feel alright. Ask yourself, "Do any of my friends like what I like?" "Do I pick my friends by arbitrary things such as taste in music?" "Do I dress just like my friends?" "Do I have friends?" That last one is just for me, but the rest of them make a fairly good test... If you're different to the point where people question your insanity[1], you're like me, you've gone too far... Oh yeah, my friend and I were speaking in reference to this group of head shaved, punk liking, morons[2]. [1] That was purposeful... [2] Morons does not refer to fans of punk in general, but rather to this specific group... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:12:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Single release date I know there has been a lot of discussion on the release date of the single, but as I see it two theories seem most likely. 1.) The single has been delayed a week and will be out tuesday Oct. 1st. 2.) Elektra has decided to release the single Oct. 22nd for some reason. The second theory comes from the newsgroup where somebody posted that they called elektra and got that response. It has also probably been mentioned here. I was wondering if anybody can tell me which of those is more true. :) Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh Visit EFNET IRC #TMBG (I am Jish) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 11:06:32 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 >other unrealeased song! WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK SENSURROUND IS ON THE >ALBUM?????? I HAVE IT! IT"S NOT! OK OK, you're too cool. We all love you now. Will that stop your bragging? >>(incidentally, I am UK size 4, Euro size 37) >I don't believe it! We have a winner for dumbest thing said on the list! I do believe this... We now have a winner for the most arrogant, ignorant, big-headed git on this list!!! Why do people like you have to pray on people that obviously have not had the experience of some others? Also you have to remember that terminology is different around the world. America isn;t the only country in the world, nor is it the centre of the world. People like you make me sick... >Nothing pesonal but >hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! It was personal. You attacked a person in front of a big crowd and made then feel embarrassed. I'd usually not bother with sort of garbage, but you definitely need putting in your place... In front of the very crowd which saw you humiliate another. >Okay I'm dun. Wait no... >heheheheheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehehe >heheh >BOOTS! >heheheheheheheheheheheheheehheheheheehheeheheheheheheheheheheheehehehe >BOOTLEGS! >heheheheheehehehe OK, I think we all saw it. You;re an arsehole and I hate you. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! !Get out your big stick! !and beat the hell out ! ! of anything that ! ! stands in your way ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:20:42 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Short... On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > BlueDawg: > > >I suppose that REM could come out with an album of banjo > >music, and it would sell like hotcakes. > > But then after it came out everybody would complain about how badly it > sucked. :) > Besides, was it you (or was it Phil?) that said they'd buy a TMBG album full > of "Cabbagetown"? No, I believe that would be Phil. And I don't think everyone would think that REM banjo sucked. I'd think I'd see some pretty bare shelves in the "bluegrass" section at Blockbuster Music, and the local X station turning into "New banjo, FIRST!!" > This has something to it. Look at this list and the NG. What do you see > about Linnell? He's "hot", he's such a great songwriter, he's clever, he's > the "brains" or the "heart" of TMBG, he's the better half, etc. What do you > see about Flansburgh? He's fat, he's strange-looking, his songs aren't > nearly as good as Linnell's, he's an ass, he's to into being a rock star, he > can't sing as well as Linnell, he's not as talented...you get the picture. > If I was JF, I'd feel a bit left out. Actually, I'd put it the other way around. Flansburgh is a *much* more prolific writer than Linnell, but isn't as good at writing full-length songs. I'd venture to say that all of Fingertips is Flansburgh's leftover bits and pieces. Actually, possibly my favorite TMBG song, Stormy Pinkness, is one of those bits and pieces. > >What's so wrong with a little longer songs and 6 or 7 fewer ones > >total? > > It's not even that big a difference. It's maybe 11 long songs and 7 short > ones vs. FS's 13 long and 1 short (Token Back To Brooklyn.) I personally, like short stuff when I'm listening at home (at the station, the longer, the better. You don't have to cue up as many carts). I will take 20 short songs over 11 long ones anyday. > >WhooHoo!! Someone else finally figured out my point!! Y'all criticize > >the folks who like the popular bands for "blind following" and then you do > >the same yourselves. One word fits here, "Hypocracy." > > Especially since the idea "they can't be good if they're > mainstream/popular/whatever" is not only completely absurd but also as bad > or worse than the idea that something is good just because it's popular. This is one of the fallicies of the Internet revealed. In *real* life, we're the weirdos, but here we're normal. If there was more of us in *real* life, the Smashing Pumpkinheads would be the weirdos, and we'd be normal. You don't realize what you rail against until someone can turn it around on you, and illustrate that you do the exact same damn thing. I must say that I am proud of myself for creating all this discussion, however, I'm disappointed that it took a negative post to create the volume. I guess it could be a wake-up call to everyone. Furthermore, if any of you think I hate you, please write me privately, or conversely, if you have a serious problem with one of my statements, write me privately. I enjoy this discussion more than you can imagine. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:45:19 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: At 05:31 PM 9/27/96 -0400, you wrote: >Here's a stupid question: People keep saying things like "I finally heard >Factory Showroom" etc. How do they get to hear it before it's released???? >Does everybody else already know the answer to this question? Illegally sold promo copies. We don't have the booklets from the CD, though. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom + Good Idea CJ From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:49:05 EDT On Fri, 27 Sep 96 21:38:37 UT "Martin Baker" writes: > >Hmmmm, I don't know that you'd call them "True fans", Evan, but you'd >definitely call them objective fans. It's got to be a pretty good band >to >knock up 135 [something like 170, minimum, released or soon to be] songs (I >seem to remember the figure for TMBG was >somewhere >around there but don't correct me if I'm wrong!!) and have someone >like them >*all* without criticism - unless that someone is supporting that group >blindly >(or unless the band are consistent God-like geniuses). Um, well, the Beatles, at least, the Help! soundtrack and beyond... I've sort of been looking at TMBG as a "Backwards Beatles" where their best instrumentated and most inspired songs came early as compared to the Beatles having it later... >A good case in point I've always found is the band Genesis. I have >never known >so many people for one band that have said "yeah sure I like >but only >up until the point when happened to them". In the case of >Genesis, >the almost unanimous for people is the moment Peter Gabriel >quit the >band and the antichrist himself Phil Collins took over. Hmmm, Peter Gabriel is good, I haven't liked the Genesis I've heard, sounds like New Age drivel... >And yet the weird thing is - look how many albums Genesis sold with >Peter >Gabriel and compare it with how many they sold under Phil Collins. >Somehow a >piece of the jigsaw went missing - how did a band alienate their fan >base so >much, yet gain an entirely new one (and a larger one at that) ? The answer it >pretty obvious - the band changed their musical style and the objective fans >pissed off and bought something else. The message is - just because you like >one album by a band doesn't mean you have to get upset if you don't like >another album by them. Um, wouldn't it be subjective fans who actually take the music and look at it and decide whether they like it. Where as objective fans just take it and say "Well, TMBG, it's must be good"... No, I think you have it right... People like drivel. Avoids that messy thing called thinking and considering and deciding whether you like something based on actual criteria. >It happened before and it can happen again. (Even the Beatles suffered this >when they plugged in their sitars and invented psychedelia - loads of >Merseybeat fans got very irate!). And then they want and took a look at the quality, instrumentation and beautiful lyrics of the music and said, "Wait, this is better." >I wonder if in years to come for TMBG might end up being "until they >got that damned band in". (Or perhaps I could suggest another one - "until >Flans formed Monopuff" ?????? I haven't heard that theory suggested - do solo >projects break up bands ?) Personally, I haven't found anything worrying about >S-E-X-X-Y or Metal Detector - they are great songs. Or perhaps I am a fan >following blindly and I haven't realised it yet! Solo projects do not break up bands, bands that are about to break up make solo projects. Bands that are about to break up hire guest musicians so they have to behave or go off and play on other bands albums. Take, for instance, the Beatles[1]. As they came near their break up, John Lennon went off to make an album with Yoko, George went to the states to play with Dylan, and Generally they Just stayed the hell away from each other. Also important, John got married again near the end and Paul got married for the first time. Then there is also the Police[2]. I little before they broke up in '86 Sting went off and made his very own little solo project. Why? He was fed up with the band, he wanted to be unsupervised, heck, he had a real good time. Plus he wasn't getting hit in the head with brick thrown by Summers every other minute. The next step for the Police? They went out and made their final album, a compilation with minimal new tracks on it (ahem, Freaksickle). >>When you get a new album, do you immediately compare >>it to previous ones, or evaluate it by itself first? > >I'm sure we'd all like to say the latter but I'm sure we won't. >Everyone >reviews music, films, books etc by comparing it with its >contemporaries - even >the journalists do that. Give me one FS review in the papers/mags that >doesn't >mention "John Henry", "Lincoln" or "Flood" and I'll eat this e-mail. Why should an album be compared to itself only? Shouldn't we expect a band to be up to it's own par? It would be completely foolish for anyone to simply say, "Well this is a pretty good album" then just listen to it 18 times over each day. Artists, and I use the term loosely, should be accountable for the quality (and even quantity) of their work as compares to their previous works. You say that quantity doesn't matter. Why is it that Flans acted so embarrassed when he came out and said there were only 13 tracks[3]? [1] I'm not one of these new, "I love the Anthology" Beatles fans, they are the first band I ever knew, and the first band I ever liked. I know this girl, who is/was (still is if you really knew her at all behind the trendieness) geekier than me (which is quite geeky, if you were to ever meet me) who goes on and on about the Beatles, but had never once mentioned the Beatles before the Anthology. I also know this other girl who I was talking about Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds about early last year. Guess who is ranked higher in my opinion[4]. [2] You can, however, accuse me of not really being a fan of the Police, I know what I know only from reading the "Message in a Box" booklet, which my brother owns. [3] I'm talking about that Sonic Net IRC chat he did a while back, anyone still here who was here in June? (ok, that was sarcastic, Matt C, Matt J, Mike, Alex, and Bluedawg, and of course, List admin, Leo, beautiful job) [4] That thing I said in my previous letter about choosing friends by their taste in music doesn't apply in this case as she doesn't actually like the music, but is just a "They're popular, I guess I will like them now" fan. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:34:53 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: Modern Rock Live On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU wrote: > Hi all, > > Previously someone (I forget who) mentioned that They played on > modern rock live a couple of weeks ago. I remember this. That person > also said that they played SEXXY and Metal Detector on the show during the > Point Fest. Did they play any other songs, because I tuned in late, just > in time to catch Their last song, I don't know which one, but I remember not > being to impressed with it. Does anyone know which song that last song was, > cause I have heard nothing but good about MD and SEXXY. Thought it had to > be another one. > > THNX :-) > SJL > Their last one was Until I Lose My Head. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:14:23 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song > While we're on the topic of Factory Showroom I just >got this URL stuck in my mail box: >http://www.sonicnet.com/feature/rabroad/ > > Looks like it might be something interesting to look at. > >-- >Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > System Administrator / Network Technician > bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org Indeed it is. You'll be glad you did. Includes a little picture of the cover art. Neat-o. DAS: What songs have people heard on it today? So far the list looks something like this: Spiralling Shape Unsupervised (I Hit My Head) Edison Museum The Bells Particle Man (w/ choir?) anyone heard anything else? (All these I've heard myself or people have posted to the list saying "Hey, I heard ___ On DAS!") Also, how many songs usually cycle on DAS? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:46:20 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 > OK OK, you're too cool. We all love you now. Will that stop your bragging? > > I do believe this... We now have a winner for the most arrogant, >ignorant, big-headed git on this list!!! Why do people like you have to >pray on people that obviously have not had the experience of some others? >Also you have to remember that terminology is different around the world. >America isn;t the only country in the world, nor is it the centre of the >world. People like you make me sick... > > It was personal. You attacked a person in front of a big crowd and made >then feel embarrassed. I'd usually not bother with sort of garbage, but you >definitely need putting in your place... In front of the very crowd which >saw you humiliate another. > OK, I think we all saw it. You;re an arsehole and I hate you. You do realize that you wrote a letter containing nothing but personal attacks, in order to decry personal attacks? Just thought I'd point out the irony there. Anyway, moveing on to something TMBG RELATED: Does anyone have any TMBG basslines or Monopuff guitar chords? If so, please e-mail them to me. Thanks. Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:45:23 -0400 Subject: *snarl* Jeremy Pokela wrote: >Terry Prachett is god come down amongst us mortals, who through the power >of comedy has allowed us, the worthless peons of this world, to have the >oppurtunity to smile at least once or twice in our miserablly short >existence. As this is a function that TMBG provides as well the comment >was strictly topical (Terry Prachett liking TMBG is just like a bonus). I >have read every Terry Prachett book and all are better than any piece of >drivvel that Douglas Adams has ever written (Douglas Adam's on his best >day could only hope to compare to Terry Prachett on his deathbed). This >letter has been amazingly off topic, but I just couldn't let anyone >insult Terry Prachett without speaking out (and to compare Prachett to >Adams that's criminal, Adam's is a mainstream wannabe Prachett). Ummm considering that Adams wrote (some of) his books FIRST, wouldn't one say that Pratchett is a wannabe Adams? And anyway, comparing Pratchett's warm, gentle, sentimental humor to Adams' edgy, dark humor is like comparing...I dunno, like comparing Apollo 18 to JH or Lincoln. The only thing one can say for Pratchett that would in any way make him better than Adams is the he like TMBG, whereas Adams likes Pink Floyd (Ok in their own way, I guess, but I'll never forgive them for a making "The Wall"). - Dan who, for the record, enjoys both Adams and Pratchett --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-265 ******************************