Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-266 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 266 Sunday, 29 September 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Re: Something about Adams Re: Modern Rock Live Re: *snarl* Order of Songs Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 Flans bashing? DAS RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song DAS cycles violent Tmbg femmes? Dial-A-Song...It's Aliiiive! AND PoDaS II Certain People I Could Name Re: Short... Bells Re: violent Tmbg femmes? B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. Skip this if you don't want to hear more about adams/pratchett Dial-A-Song rules! Re: Short... Re: *snarl* Brain Candy dial a radio and stuff Paul Simon and Them Re: Brain Candy TMBG in VA Re: Short... Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. Re: Bells A Teaspoon Of Pink Floyd, A Sprinkle Of Release Dates.... re: TMBG North Carolina Show Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. Ladies!?! S-E-X-X-Y / Factory Showroom - Where to get Re: Paul Simon and Them Re: Skip this if you don't want to hear more about adams/pratchett dark albums Albany Show Last Night Re: dial a radio and stuff Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:11:32 -0700 (MST) From: JWH At least somebody else out there read some of Adams' books other than the hitchhiker series, Dirk.... I called Elektra today, they said that both the single and the album would be out on October 8th. They also told me that was the way it had always been according to them, since they would be the best authority on it or something... Anyway, there you have it. -Josh Hamilton (No, the other Josh) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Something about Adams From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 09:08:35 EDT On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:11:32 -0700 (MST) JWH writes: >At least somebody else out there read some of Adams' books other than the >hitchhiker series, Dirk.... I like both of his series. It's just that the Hitchhiker books book are inherently bettered by the larger spectrum of things you can make up when travelling around in space. The Gently books are rather limited in this capacity as they mostly take place on Earth, or at least _a_ Earth. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 09:14:47 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: Modern Rock Live Brandon Callison wrote: > > On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > Previously someone (I forget who) mentioned that They played on > > modern rock live a couple of weeks ago. I remember this. That person > > also said that they played SEXXY and Metal Detector on the show during the > > Point Fest. Did they play any other songs, because I tuned in late, just > > in time to catch Their last song, I don't know which one, but I remember not > > being to impressed with it. Does anyone know which song that last song was, > > cause I have heard nothing but good about MD and SEXXY. Thought it had to > > be another one. > > > > THNX :-) > > SJL > > > Their last one was Until I Lose My Head. > > Brandon Actually, it's "Until My Head Falls Off", and I think it's a great song. john ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 09:22:14 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: *snarl* >The only thing one can say for Pratchett that would in any way make him >better than Adams is the he like TMBG, whereas Adams likes Pink Floyd (Ok in >their own way, I guess, but I'll never forgive them for a making "The Wall"). >- Dan who, for the record, enjoys both Adams and Pratchett >--Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway > > > To help continue this seemingly unrelated thread I will offer my useless opinions: What's wrong with The Wall? One of their better albums IMO, and a powerful message, cool music, and a good movie too. Well anyway, to add some TMBG Content, Why would there be problems with different record store chains and different release dates for the single if Elektra has always had the release date as being Oct 8 for the single and the album? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 10:07:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Order of Songs Hi, I was just wondering if there is any correlation between the order in which people hear TMBG songs and how much they like them. As it is, the first two songs I heard were in 1994 (just after Apollo 18) and were Birdhouse and Fingertips. After I heard those, I thought they were pretty good, and found out that the band was TMBG (a band a had a vague recollection of being fairly popular when Flood came out). I made a quick dub of some other songs from Flood (Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Sapphire Bullets, We Want a Rock) and liked those enough that I went out and bought the album. After that, the next album I got was Apollo 18, which was definately different but still good. And a little while after that, I got Lincoln and the Pink Album and Misc. T, and then John Henry. In between I managed to find the Istanbul EP at Kemp Mill (at a time when even TMBG said they didn't have any more copies in stock)and WDTSS at Olsson's. Anyway, I'm just wondering if, had I heard the songs and albums in a different order, would I have liked them as much? For instance, when I first got A18 I played it for a friend, who wasn't really impressed. Same thing for John Henry. I get the feeling that perhaps one of the problems is that these last two albums, although they are still good (especially A18), may not have had the same kind of power as an album like Lincoln or maybe Flood to draw in more fans. What do you think? Also, am I the only one who thinkgs TMBG's new bass player, Graham Maby, rocks? I saw him at the Fairfax Fair show and he did a few solo riffs. He's really good, and definately seems to fit into the band. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping There really is nothing better than listening to a "Hydrogen Jukebox" While menuing around CapAccess ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 10:43:13 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-264 About the thingee's said by me. I didn't say them. My friend e-mailed about 50 Random people and swore at them and insulted them all. My apolagies to all who were offended. He's has an extremely thick skull. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Flans bashing? Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 12:23:58 -0400 (EDT) I have a question. Why all the Flans bashing??!? If some of you felt this way about him (that he's onot as good, that he sucks, that he's fat and stupid and wants to just be a rock star, whatever may be the case) why hasn't this come out before? Why the sudden rush of bashing upon him? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 96 16:24:29 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: DAS Yes actually it was King of Wingo. I totally forgot it was on my PODAS tape. Just remembered it now as I went to play the tape. Just thought I'd say that. Andreas ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 96 16:18:01 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song I heard something that sounded like "King of Wingo" I don't know if it said "wingo" (it was fuzzy like DAS is) but it started off talking about an organic soup and the a cell emerging and dividing into two, four, and then 8. But one of the cells was the leader and the song was about him. All I remember was that he got "the mud" whatever that meant. I forget the other words. Also the first time I called I think I heard Unsupervised. ANDREAS ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org on behalf of Evan Chakroff Sent: Friday, September 27, 1996 11:14 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song DAS: What songs have people heard on it today? So far the list looks something like this: Spiralling Shape Unsupervised (I Hit My Head) Edison Museum The Bells Particle Man (w/ choir?) anyone heard anything else? (All these I've heard myself or people have posted to the list saying "Hey, I heard ___ On DAS!") Also, how many songs usually cycle on DAS? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: DAS cycles Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 12:51:03 -0400 (EDT) I heard an interview with Flans once (or maybe I read it?) and my memory is kinda fuzzy, but I think he said he had a 50 MB harddrive on the DAS computer and tehrefore it could fit something like 24 songs on it maybe? Or mmaybe it was 12..hmmmm Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 13:15:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: violent Tmbg femmes? so, here i am awake the next day (and alive!)...yes i was at the show last night in albany. i have some mixed feelings...one thing i will say for it is that Linnell seemed very happy! that was really quite cool to watch, i dont think i've ever seen him so happy. he was dancing around, smiling _a lot_...it was awesome...flans seemed to be having a good time, too. we got there around 7:15, when the doors were opening, but there were ridiculous security measures...ugh! the line was LONG...considering the number on my ticket (1116). and it was incredibly slow moving as they were running metal detectors (dumb, yet strangely appropos?) over everyone..they even took mike and alex's knives (umm, pen-knives from a key chain, hello??) TMBG started playing before everyone got in, so eventually they just forgot about the security measures and just started taking tickets...ridiculous. i didnt have to wait too long, as i found mike and alex (with my banner!)...they were relatively close to the doors. i was so happy to find them! so TMBG were great. the crowd, however, wasn't. i dont think i dig the whole hardcore violent femmes fan thing...? but the moshing was terrible, i was very close to the front, but we couldnt handle it...and the banner almost died! but i saved it...evil crowd surfers abounded, and one went over/on me and knocked out my contact...it was a good thing my sister who went with me could drive stick as well. guh. it was worth it, i think They saw the banner...i was off to the flans side (way off), and i held it up so the lighting was so that They could see, and linnell smiled, flans smiled at times too...cool! well, i know maybe linnel couldnt really see it, but maybe he got the gist? so, TMBG were awesome, they pretty much "opened"...even though it was touted as coheadlining...they only played about 45-50 minutes...but what they did play was incredible (the jazzier version of "She's Actual Size!")...and They were having fun, more importantly... and let me just say that like and alex and heather are three pretty awesome creatures. (heehee "heavenly Creatures?") hehe, i'll let THEM explain why they havent posted today about last night's show...lucky guys... i really enjoyed getting to know them better...off to totonot i will go, someday! sorry for the long post...despite it being the wrong scene, and a little life-threatening at times, but it was a great experience. thanks to those funky canadians especially, for not watching the Vfs with me! love you all... -- r.c. fransburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:02:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Dial-A-Song...It's Aliiiive! AND PoDaS II Hideho! So, y'all, DAS is back and better than ever (it actually seems to be doing "there's a new song every hour" right now, seeing as how people have heard about seven different songs within the span of an evening...) Anyway, it's been two years since Power of Dial A Song was compiled and released. There have been a hell of a lot of newer songs since then. I have copies of some of them (the ones on Lo-Fi, and the Bells) but I really think someone should start collecting them for Power of Dial-A-Song II or what have you. I won't be able to dub them from DAS (I don't live in NYC and don't feel like logging a huge phone bill) but if someone who can get DAS locally wants to team up, if you record the songs, I'll contribute what I have and work on the distribution, okay? I'd really like to do this. Anybody out there want to help? :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:02:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Certain People I Could Name Hideho! After listening to my "Back To John" tape for the umpteenth time, I decided to transcribe the lyrics to "Certain People I Could Name," a kick-ass song in the old-style TMBG tradition. BTW, check the new .sig for my fave line from the song. Anyway, I got stuck in some parts, so will y'all with a good ear and ten minutes to spare give me a hand with the bits I can't get? Oh, yeah: the bits in ()'s are bits I'm not sure about, and each ? within ()'s represents one syllable that I can't make out. Certain People I Could Name The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield They count the arms, the legs, the heads and then divide by five Drenched in blood, they move across the street Do I need to (form) or do you See the one I mean? The one in back, the way he acts Doesn't he remind you of someone we know? Isn't he so like Certain people I could name Halfway through the (? ? man) It's halfway 'round the world. There's the story of the genocidal overlord Can't you have it (smitten ? ?) ex Watch your name, your gesture claims She light a cigarette Look at her, you would see it too Doesn't she remind you of someone we know? Isn't she so like Certain people I could name Mr. Nature's voice describes what anyone can see As a lizard eats a helpless creature on TV Music underscores the tragedy As the cameral swoops to close-ups Of the reptile's mouth As for you, have seen it too Doesn't he remind you of someone we know? Isn't he so like Certain people Other than (? ? ? ?), we all (? ?) And the uncanny dedicator and (? ?) Isn't he just like Certain people I could name /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:02:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Short... At 09:20 PM 9/27/96 -0400, BlueDawg wrote: >On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >No, I believe that would be Phil. And I don't think everyone would think >that REM banjo sucked. I'd think I'd see some pretty bare shelves in the >"bluegrass" section at Blockbuster Music, and the local X station turning >into "New banjo, FIRST!!" I don't get your point here. That's a cynical attack on popular culture, isn't it? Just want to make sure. >Actually, I'd put it the other way around. Flansburgh is a *much* more >prolific writer than Linnell, but isn't as good at writing full-length >songs. I'd venture to say that all of Fingertips is Flansburgh's leftover >bits and pieces. Actually, possibly my favorite TMBG song, Stormy >Pinkness, is one of those bits and pieces. My point was that, in general, the Internet body of fans adores Linnell while being somewhat lukewarm towards Flansburgh. I personally like them both quite a bit, but there are still a bunch of people out there who think that Linnell *is* TMBG. >I personally, like short stuff when I'm listening at home (at the station, >the longer, the better. You don't have to cue up as many carts). I will >take 20 short songs over 11 long ones anyday. I do like shorter songs but only when mixed with longer songs too. (Still, I *do* agree that only one short song on this album is a bit too few, but...) >"Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. >I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil >Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics Love the .sig, BTW. I seem to have missed when Phil said that. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ From: sxb216@psu.edu Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:38:30 -0400 Subject: Bells Hey. I just called The Dial a Song and heard a song about "hearing the sounds of bells ringing" or whatnot. It was fairly catchy. Anyone know what it was? __________________________________ Saurav Bhowmik sxb216@email.psu.edu http://www.personal.psu.edu/sxb216 __________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:14:27 -0500 (CDT) From: jeremy pokela Subject: Re: violent Tmbg femmes? Violent Femmes are one of the best accoustical bands of all time, you can't tell me that when you hear Country Death Song it doesn't just make you smile (*evil grin*). Just because some of thier fans suck doesn't mean anything, plus I think they were justified, after a two year wait after New Times during which the only new Violent Femmes song that came out was on the Crow (1) Cd, Violent Femmes have finally realeased a new alblum (ROCK!!!!! is the name of the new alblum, available to all Australian fans because that's the only country in which it has so far been realeased, lucky Australians). I think Violent Femmes Fans of the world have a right to be happy and moshing In a side note, I have read the Adams D.Gently books and I would still have to say that Terry Pratchett kicks him all over (This book has sex, drugs, and music with rocks in it......Well one out of three ain't bad.). Pratchett is a better author and at the same time is funnier than Adams. In a second side-note Pink Floyds' only good alblum is The Wall, after this alblum it appears to me that they lost all thier musical talent all at once. I just realized that I haven't metioned They Might Be Giants yet, well I just did so there. -Jeremy Pokela Liberal/Socialist jpokela@d.umn.edu "I should be allowed to think" -TMBG "And who the hell are you, to tell me what to do?" -Bad Religion "...I'd rather die than give you control..." -Nine Inch Nails "I am so smart, I am so smart. S-M-R-T, Dohhh. S-M-A-R-T." -Homer Simpson ------------------------------ Subject: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:21:23 EDT Hi Kids, I got a tape of some Elektra B-sides and remixes today and I just realized how empty my life was without them... So I was thinking, what about all the other poor souls? I have this idea for a web page of hard-to-find Elektra tmbg tracks. I am wondering if anyone is willing to help me. What I need from you are the b-sides from the Flood and Apollo 18 singles and the Braincandy version of Spiralling Shape. I have the MMPR Soundtrack, Back To Skull and WDTSS on CD so they are not a problem. If am I forgetting something let me know. The idea for the web page is that it will be either the chorus/catchiest line of each song (maybe I won't be including remixes) in sound files (probably au, but don't worry, I will convert from whatever you make them into) from 100-200 Kb in size. I have about 5 megs of web space lying around so I will use that, I believe it is enough. Anyone wanting to help me out with this let me know. Even if you hate me, do it for everyone else. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:55:51 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Skip this if you don't want to hear more about adams/pratchett jeremy pokela wrote: > In a side note, I have read the Adams D.Gently books and I would > still have to say that Terry Pratchett kicks him all over (This book has > sex, drugs, and music with rocks in it......Well one out of three ain't > bad.). Pratchett is a better author and at the same time is funnier than > Adams. > In a second side-note Pink Floyds' only good alblum is The Wall, > after this alblum it appears to me that they lost all thier musical > talent all at once. I've tried to avoid writing on the pink floyd or adams-pratchett debate 'cause I don't post enough on this list at all to justify my posting something completely un-TMBG-related, but I just can't hold back any longer. Adams is one of my favorite writers of all time, and his sense of humor rivals Theirs. He also is very deep, and I just have to mention that other than the brilliant hitchhicker's guide books and Gently books, he wrote Last Chance To See, one of my fave books of all time. I've never read pratchett, but if he's as great as everyone says he is, I should go get something by him. Next topic: Pink Floyd. Truly a great band. You don't have to be into drugs to enjoy their stirring music and lyrics which, when written by Waters, are equal to TMBG's. Dark Side Of The Moon is just as good, if not better, than The Wall. Listen to it if you haven't. And the name of that Bellwhatever album is the Division Bell. And in TMBG content, I'm sure I'm not the only one who envies people old enough to work for for radio stations and get promotional copies of Factory Showroom. I'd like to see more descriptions of the songs, and sound clips would be nice if you've got the equipment. I apologize again for the lack of TMBG content in this letter. Bye. -- "And I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky And the moon has turned red over one tree hill"-U2 "And then time began seriously to pass"-Douglas Adams "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"-Pink Floyd Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 17:00:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: Dial-A-Song rules! Dial-A-Song is soo cool!!! I heard Maine and Edison Museum so far! Free when you call from your parents' phone line!!! :) Josh Visit Efnet IRC #TMBG!! (I am Jish) josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh (under construction) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 17:56:10 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Short... On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >No, I believe that would be Phil. And I don't think everyone would think > >that REM banjo sucked. I'd think I'd see some pretty bare shelves in the > >"bluegrass" section at Blockbuster Music, and the local X station turning > >into "New banjo, FIRST!!" > > I don't get your point here. That's a cynical attack on popular culture, > isn't it? Just want to make sure. Most definately, and an attack on "Alternative" Format radio stations. It used to be hip to be "Classic Rock," now it's either "Young Country or "Alternative X". I personally prefer "Right-wing wacko talk". > >Actually, I'd put it the other way around. Flansburgh is a *much* more > >prolific writer than Linnell, but isn't as good at writing full-length > >songs. I'd venture to say that all of Fingertips is Flansburgh's leftover > >bits and pieces. Actually, possibly my favorite TMBG song, Stormy > >Pinkness, is one of those bits and pieces. > > My point was that, in general, the Internet body of fans adores Linnell > while being somewhat lukewarm towards Flansburgh. I personally like them > both quite a bit, but there are still a bunch of people out there who think > that Linnell *is* TMBG. I don't adore anyone (well, maybe my GF), but I agree with your point. Flansburgh *is* the one that makes the band go. Without Flansburgh, Linnell would probably be playing sax somewhere in the background, while doing bike messager stuff during the daytime. Flansburgh, IMHO, has the more inventive lyrics, but has trouble putting them to music. > >I personally, like short stuff when I'm listening at home (at the station, > >the longer, the better. You don't have to cue up as many carts). I will > >take 20 short songs over 11 long ones anyday. > > I do like shorter songs but only when mixed with longer songs too. (Still, I > *do* agree that only one short song on this album is a bit too few, but...) The problem is when you start streaching out short songs into long songs. Then you turn into Metallica. 1 minute of singing, 4 minutes of guitar solos. Keep it simple, stupid. > >"Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human > flesh. > >I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil > >Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics > > Love the .sig, BTW. I seem to have missed when Phil said that. Hehe....I had to go through DejaNews to find it. It is very enlightening. The bald part is my favorite. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music World. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 17:15:47 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: *snarl* just a little something from mr_me (mr_me@tmbg.org) HAVE A DAY! On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 DGently253@aol.com wrote: > --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway > isn;t it spelled "NyQuil"? with a big Q. -john ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 18:27:05 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Brain Candy Oh, I thought I'd mention it since nobody else has.... The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring the song, "Spiralling Shape." -Dawg OBTW: I think that John Linnell is in that movie somewhere. Like the audience during the talk show. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music World. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 18:20:00 -0400 (EDT) From: gllt Subject: dial a radio and stuff Hi there, Everyone's been arguing about Their selling out and losing their touch and whatnot, and I just wanted to add my two friendly cents in and say that its time to stop fretting, at least until the record comes out. Itseems ridiculous, to me anyway, to get upset over Them; TMBG (and music in general) is one of the few things that always brightens my day in some way or another, and if I'm going to add Them into my silly list of things to overworry about, well then it just seems rather pointless to even like Them anymore. Maybe some of you will be disappointed when FS comes out, but I don't think I will be. In fact, I don't think most of us will. Am I being optimistic? No, its just that, believe it or not, I do have faith in Them. If I'm proven wrong, well then so be it. And maybe I have some faith in radio as well. IN the past 4 days, I've heard James k polk, New York City, Sing like a Girl?, and Spiralling Shape. Well, most of them were requested my myself, but it was exciting to hear the FS versions for the first time. Today I was in a shoe store and some guy was shopping around with what looked like his grandmother. he must have pointed out my shirt to her for some reason, because I heard from out of nowhere, "Yes! They Might Be Giants!" ...from the grandmother. It was pretty funny. Oh and I don't know if this was ever confirmed, but JF said himself that the bassist does the bass bits in Seinfeld. Ellen Kao ekao2@gl.umbc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 18:11:54 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Paul Simon and Them You know, I've been listening to Paul Simon's _Graceland_ a lot of late, and suddenly it hit me- a lot of his songs have a They quality about them. Or, I suppose I should say, a lot of Their songs have a Simon quality about them. The songs that it was really apparent to me were the ones with the accordian music. Like, "That was Your Mother," "All around the World," "I Know What I Know," and of course, "You Can Call Me Al." The music has that happy, kind of chaotic feel to it, and it really reminded me of Them. Any one else notice this, or have any theories or stories? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 20:05:20 -0400 Subject: Re: Brain Candy << The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring the song, "Spiralling Shape." I'd barely call the two seconds they play in the film "featuring." I think it should've been the theme song, especially since it basically tells the story of the movie. Cool flick, but I'm holding out for the director's cut! Kay, who loves it when KitH & TMBG collide, like in BC and on Larry Sanders! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:21:09 -0400 From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: TMBG in VA Does anyone know where They are playing in VA on September 30th? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 20:34:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Short... At 05:56 PM 9/28/96 -0500, BlueDawg wrote: >On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >Most definately, and an attack on "Alternative" Format radio stations. >It used to be hip to be "Classic Rock," now it's either "Young Country >or "Alternative X". I personally prefer "Right-wing wacko talk". Heh. Imagine Pearl Jam doing New Age music, that'd be fun. >I don't adore anyone (well, maybe my GF), but I agree with your point. >Flansburgh *is* the one that makes the band go. Without Flansburgh, >Linnell would probably be playing sax somewhere in the background, while >doing bike messager stuff during the daytime. Flansburgh, IMHO, has the >more inventive lyrics, but has trouble putting them to music. Flans is definitely important. He may provide the "rock-star" influence like many have said, but that just balances the Linnell "off-center" influence. He provides the, to slip into cliche, the "pop sensibility" of TMBG. If TMBG had started out as just Linnell, by now he'd probably be doing dub sitar music or somesuch. But through TMBG, they've each picked up some of the other's traits. (Look at Mono Puff and State Songs -- each demonstrates both aspects of the Johns. Mono Puff may have Unsupervised, but it also has odd things like To Serve Mankind and Nixon's The One. And so on.) >The problem is when you start streaching out short songs into long >songs. Then you turn into Metallica. 1 minute of singing, 4 minutes of >guitar solos. Keep it simple, stupid. Right...however, there's nothing wrong with long songs _per se_. But at least TMBG seem to still know what songs need to stay short to work. They kept TBTB short, after all...lengthening it would have weakened it a lot. >Hehe....I had to go through DejaNews to find it. It is very >enlightening. The bald part is my favorite. I think Corgan should just sheepishly admit that he was wrong and grow it back. Just because Micheal Stipe and Ed Kowalczyk can pull it off doesn't mean he can. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:02:01 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. >help me. What I need from you are the b-sides from the Flood and Apollo >18 singles and the Braincandy version of Spiralling Shape. I have the >MMPR Soundtrack, Back To Skull and WDTSS on CD so they are not a >problem. If am I forgetting something let me know. Isn't Spiralling Shape the same version on KITH and Factory Showroom. And speaking of Elektra b-sides/etc... Isn't that what Superfueled Freakcicle was going to be? (Or has SF been transformed into the rumored 2-CD b-side/remix/new song extravaganza?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:01:59 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Bells At 03:38 PM 9/28/96 -0400, sxb216@psu.edu wrote: >Hey. I just called The Dial a Song and heard a song about "hearing the >sounds of bells ringing" or whatnot. It was fairly catchy. Anyone know >what it was? > >__________________________________ >Saurav Bhowmik >sxb216@email.psu.edu >http://www.personal.psu.edu/sxb216 >__________________________________ > That would be The Bells or The Ringing Of The Bells, I beleive, which is on Factory Showroom. I heard it on DAS, and liked it alot. Can't wait till I can hear it on a higher quality than telephone. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:02:03 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: A Teaspoon Of Pink Floyd, A Sprinkle Of Release Dates.... >Pink Floyd. Truly a great band. You don't have to be into drugs to >enjoy their stirring music and lyrics which, when written by Waters, >are equal to TMBG's. Dark Side Of The Moon is just as good, if not >better, than The Wall. Listen to it if you haven't. Dark Side Of The Moon better than The Wall?? (I don't agree, but since this is a They Might Be Giants list, I won't elaborate on that topic.) Release Dates: (Tell me if these are wrong... This is just what I've gathered from varias posts and whatnot...) TMBG.ORG -- Oct 1 S-E-X-X-Y -- Oct 8 Factory Showroom -- Oct 8 (Of course...) TMBG.COM -- ??? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:38:28 -0500 From: kelly marks Subject: re: TMBG North Carolina Show To a fellow NC They fan: I think I figured out the difference in the Pollstar and Restless listings. There is a Magnolia Court at Wake Forest University which is in Winston Salem. Therefore, they're both right (sort of). ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:34:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Isn't Spiralling Shape the same version on KITH and Factory Showroom. And > speaking of Elektra b-sides/etc... Isn't that what Superfueled Freakcicle > was going to be? (Or has SF been transformed into the rumored 2-CD > b-side/remix/new song extravaganza?) Yes, no. In that order. The 2-CD box set is _only_ Bar/None era stuff. Big Blue Dog Album + Lincoln + Unreleased stuff, mostly off the demo tape + Misc. T Superfueled Freakcycle is due "sometime" in 1997, and will contain the stuff off the B-sides, ala Misc. T. S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:58:01 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Ladies!?! Going through the personal links section on tmbg.org to get it ready for launch, I find that only 7 out of the 53 pages listed are to sites for/about/run by ladies. There must be some more of you here on the list who have web pages. If you can get your URL's to me by tomorrow evening, I can guarantee that you'll be listed on the site on the release date. I'll take any last minute submissions from the guys too. -Dawg, in search of 'net equality S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."--Frank Zappa ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: S-E-X-X-Y / Factory Showroom - Where to get Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:35:39 -0400 (EDT) If you're looking for S-E-X-X-Y or Factory Showroom I just noticed they are both now on cdnow.com, try this URL: http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/from=giantsbick/artfs=they+might+be+giants (the one from the links page on the web site) To cut and paste: Advance Order Albums Advance order albums may be ordered in advance of their release date and will arrive on the day of the products release. Additional information regarding advance orders can be found in the Help section. $ 8.98 TAPE FACTORY SHOWROOM (WEA/ELEKTRA ENTERTA) Release Date: October 08, 1996 $ 13.96 CD FACTORY SHOWROOM (WEA/ELEKTRA ENTERTA) Release Date: October 08, 1996 $ 4.79 TAPE S-E-X-X-Y (WEA/ELEKTRA ENTERTA) Release Date: October 15, 1996 $ 6.79 CD S-E-X-X-Y (WEA/ELEKTRA ENTERTA) Release Date: October 15, 1996 Enjoy. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:33:57 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Paul Simon and Them At 06:11 PM 9/28/96 -0500, Queen Sneepy wrote: >You know, I've been listening to Paul Simon's _Graceland_ a lot of late, >and suddenly it hit me- a lot of his songs have a They quality about >them. Or, I suppose I should say, a lot of Their songs have a Simon >quality about them. The songs that it was really apparent to me were the >ones with the accordian music. Like, "That was Your Mother," "All around >the World," "I Know What I Know," and of course, "You Can Call Me Al." >The music has that happy, kind of chaotic feel to it, and it really >reminded me of Them. Any one else notice this, or have any theories or >stories? <.sig snipped> I just listened to Graceland, and I noticed that too. The music sounds a lot like TMBG, but the vocals don't really sound that similar (this is probably due to the fact that neither John is singing...) Fascinating... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:59:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: Skip this if you don't want to hear more about adams/pratchett Whoops, looks like I created a monster. Sorry for ever even mentioning Douglas Adams in the same email as Terry Pratchet. ...But, for the record, I enjoy the works of both authors equally. (and we can't forget Adams' work on Doctor Who) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 96 02:26:30 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: dark albums with all the talk of how JH was such a 'depressing' album, has anybody heard the new album by Weezer, "Pinkerton"? Yikes, somebody's had there share of relationship crisises. It's a sharp contrast to the fun first album where it actually sounded like they had fun making it. This was a lot more thrash. On a TMBG note: I got my TMBG shirt(wearin' it to school monday!) and sticker mailed to me along with a mix tape of the Pietasters(thanx Adam!) I'm going to my first TMBG concert. (Gainsville) Wish they weren't on so late. AndreasB ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 23:56:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Albany Show Last Night Somebody tell me how the TMBG portion of the night went, because after a two hour drive, I got there just in time to see the last four songs. (I mean, they were four good songs, but hell, it wasn't worth the trip.) Then I was forced to sit through the Vilent Femmes, and, well, let's just say I don't like the Violent Femmes. That was one LOOOOONG set. -Cuper. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 00:02:34 -0400 Subject: Re: dial a radio and stuff OK, before I get into the opinion stuff, does anyone know anything more about the Oct 14 concert in DC that I know they're just dying to tell me? xEveryone's been arguing about Their selling out and losing their touch and xwhatnot, and I just wanted to add my two friendly cents in and say that its xtime to stop fretting, at least until the record comes out. Itseems xridiculous, to me anyway, to get upset over Them; TMBG (and music in xgeneral) is one of the few things that always brightens my day Yes, it's somewhat depressing when I open up my letterbox and find post after post about how much They suck now because They're selling out, how Linnell must have throat polyps or something and Flansburgh is going on a power trip, how They're about to break up (I wonder how many times *that's* been said before), etc etc. One of the reasons I love TMBG is the fact that their music is so... happy. Even JH, which is being labelled depressing recently, is a whole lot more positive than the angst-y stuff that gets played on the radio. Don't worry, folks, be happy. I think if They were planning on selling out, they would have done it long before now. They've had over ten years... and especially after Flood, when they were perfectly placed to become popular and "mainstream" or whatever you want to call it. And yet, 6 years later, here we all are, complaning about how little we get to hear Them on the radio. Is Flansburgh taking over the band? Are They about to break up? I don't pretend to know all of the Johns' problems. But at the last two concerts I've seen, they seemed to be having too much of a good time to lend any credibility to this theory. Plus they're just starting to find out what they can do with a full band (whether you are fond of what they do with it is your call), so I can't see them outgrowing the band. Regarding side projects: in my opinion, a side project is a healthy creative outlet, not a warning sign. As for Linnell's voice... well, it is flu season, though I guess the cigarettes can't help. Anyway, the point is that Brooklyn's ambassadors of love are offering us a warm, fuzzy alternative to the "mainstream" and we seem determined to continue being disillusioned and pessimistic. Of course, you are all still allowed to have opinions. If you think that a breakup is around the corner, or that any album with songs longer than 2 minutes can't be worth your time, that is certainly your right. All I ask is that you lighten up about it. Give TMBG the benefit of the doubt. (And at least be civil to people with differing ideas) Whew, well that was probably worth about 3 cents. So there's my opinion, and now it is your option to poke holes in my logic and call me nasty names. But I hope you are smiling as you do it. --Christy :) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ruprecht the Ass) Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 01:23:03 EDT On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:34:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) BlueDawg writes: >The 2-CD box set is _only_ Bar/None era stuff. Big Blue Dog Album + Oh give it up, most of the Newbies don't even know what you're talking about when you say Big Blue Dog... Wouldn't it be funny if this started a huge debate and people hated me more in a week? Funny, not unlikely. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-266 ******************************