Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 267 Monday, 30 September 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Brain Candy RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song DAS and FS thoughts. Re: dark albums Re: Albany Show Last Night Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. DAS for FREE! Re: DAS for FREE! RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song Re: *snarl* Re: Brain Candy Brown Brown Brown Brown Brown Re: *snarl* Toledo Show Factory Showroom Nov. 8th @ Roseland? Certain People, DAS2 and maybe more Soul Coughing mentions TMBG, So Do the 4Lads B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT unhappiness RA FS Re: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT Re: TRUgLE Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy Not so short. free tmbg PODAS sonic net page Concert in northern CA? A Taste of DC festival Re: Order of Songs RA Factory Showroom!! Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. Re: Flans bashing? das number Re: Roseland Nov 8th Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy Re: Not so short. Curious Re: Brain Candy Us slow ones.... EFnet IRC #TMBG RA FS Re: dial a radio and stuff Spiraling Shape more taste of dc Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Brain Candy Date: Sat, 28 Sep 96 19:38:07 18000 > > Oh, I thought I'd mention it since nobody else has.... > > The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring > the song, "Spiralling Shape." > "Featuring?" I don't think the 3seconds it plays is exactly featuring.... > -Dawg > > OBTW: I think that John Linnell is in that movie somewhere. Like the > audience during the talk show. > > S. M. Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, idiotnot@visi.net > Jeep Driver, BlueDawg on IRC http://members.visi.net/~idiotnot/ > ObWittySig: Neil Diamond is the Bill Shattner of the Music > World. > > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 23:58:13 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song i heard something about a backyard.. i have not heard all of there stuff as i only have the basic cd's fllod,jh,o18,pink,lincoln,msc.t,wdtss. so if someone can tell me the name/album for this song i would love to know! thanx. (\__/) (o o) ----------.o0O--(__)--O0o.--------- | grefin@cyberhighway.net -><-| ----------------------------------- | | HAIL ERIS!! / /\ |_/\/ \ \ \ \ (_) (_) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 02:24:16 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: DAS and FS thoughts. Well, idley (sp? How should I know?) I have flipped through the posts about the songs on Factory Showroom, but all I had really heard up to now were the songs They played at the show I went to in May. But, considering what I've heard up to now, by downloading Metal Detector, and what I've heard on Dial-A-Song (I've been calling every hour, so far. I'm afraid to see my phone bill. Oh well, at least it's at night on a weekend!)-I think that the Bells song is on there, is the Main song? and of course Spiralling Shape, I think this is going to be one kick ass album. Even if those songs aren't on there, they're definitely a sign of things to come- whoo! I can't wait! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 00:04:13 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: dark albums How do i Get a SHIRT, POSTERS..ect?? is there a fan club i'm missing?? let me know! (\__/) (o o) ----------.o0O--(__)--O0o.--------- | grefin@cyberhighway.net -><-| ----------------------------------- | | HAIL ERIS!! / /\ |_/\/ \ \ \ \ (_) (_) On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Andreas Baeuchle wrote: > with all the talk of how JH was such a 'depressing' album, has anybody heard > the new album by Weezer, "Pinkerton"? Yikes, somebody's had there share of > relationship crisises. It's a sharp contrast to the fun first album where it > actually sounded like they had fun making it. This was a lot more thrash. > > > On a TMBG note: > > I got my TMBG shirt(wearin' it to school monday!) and sticker mailed to me > along with a mix tape of the Pietasters(thanx Adam!) I'm going to my first > TMBG concert. (Gainsville) Wish they weren't on so late. > > > AndreasB > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 03:08:35 -0400 From: Amy/Seta Subject: Re: Albany Show Last Night >Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 03:06:51 -0400 >To: Cuper Vargas >From: Amy/Seta >Subject: Re: Albany Show Last Night > > I got there at 6.... :) little early...but i was like one of the first in line, and had to go thru the metal detector...i thought that them signs they had hangin up "Metal Detectors are for your Own Safety" were kinda They-ey... :) then i got the Hayseed Johns t shirt...the one with the Pokey Little Puppy on the back...then a little after 8 They came out and Linnell told everyone "Please, no smoke! No Smoke!" then they started singin: >1. Meet James Ensor >2. Istanbul (Not constantinople) w/ a funky beginning >3. The Guitar >4. Spider >5.Twistin' >6.Snail Shell >7.Pet Name *NEW!* >8. Exquisite Dead Guy *NEW!* Compete with 2 Funky puppets >9. Spy >10. James K Polk (Fast version) >11.She's Actual Size (chorus sung kinda different) >12.S.E.X.X.Y *NEW!* (for all the ladies) >13.New York City *NEW!* >14.Birdhouse in Your Soul >Then Flans Said that Factory Showroom comes out next week >15. Dig My Grave ("A song thats good to dance to, not much else") > >there might have been a couple mre b4 #15 on the list, but im not sure cuz my >recording sucks really bad. >Gotta go, byebye AmY > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 00:00:35 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. this sounds good! i don't have any to offer but, i wwould love to hear what i'm missing.. is there a cd besides msc.t w/ these b sides?? (\__/) (o o) ----------.o0O--(__)--O0o.--------- | grefin@cyberhighway.net -><-| ----------------------------------- | | HAIL ERIS!! / /\ |_/\/ \ \ \ \ (_) (_) On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Ruprecht the Ass wrote: > Hi Kids, > I got a tape of some Elektra B-sides and remixes today and I just > realized how empty my life was without them... So I was thinking, what > about all the other poor souls? I have this idea for a web page of > hard-to-find Elektra tmbg tracks. I am wondering if anyone is willing to > help me. What I need from you are the b-sides from the Flood and Apollo > 18 singles and the Braincandy version of Spiralling Shape. I have the > MMPR Soundtrack, Back To Skull and WDTSS on CD so they are not a > problem. If am I forgetting something let me know. > The idea for the web page is that it will be either the > chorus/catchiest line of each song (maybe I won't be including remixes) > in sound files (probably au, but don't worry, I will convert from > whatever you make them into) from 100-200 Kb in size. I have about 5 > megs of web space lying around so I will use that, I believe it is > enough. Anyone wanting to help me out with this let me know. Even if you > hate me, do it for everyone else. > > =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= > The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ > The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org > The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" > =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ > ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 01:33:14 -0700 Subject: DAS for FREE! Hey, if you want to use DAS, but can't afford the fhone call cost since you don't live in New York, use a pay phone. It won't cost anything that way, because you can still hear what's on the other side, you just can't say anything yourself. Am I right here, or am I just making myself look like an idiot again? As far as I know, as long as you don't try it with one of those newer phones that asks for money first and a number later, then it should work. The older ones are designed to put in a quarter after you know the other person has picked up. And, btw, now that I thought of this, what's that number again? I noticed that it changes from CD to CD, and don't remember what it is now. Thanks. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 03:40:06 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: DAS for FREE! On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 sgleave@btigate.com wrote: > Hey, if you want to use DAS, but can't afford the fhone call cost since > you don't live in New York, use a pay phone. It won't cost anything > that way, because you can still hear what's on the other side, you just > can't say anything yourself. Am I right here, or am I just making > myself look like an idiot again? As far as I know, as long as you don't > tryFrom owner-tmbg-list Sun Sep 29 04:50:01 1996 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.7.5/8.7.ufp) id EAA21047 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:42:26 -0400 From: TangP@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:41:50 -0400 Message-ID: <960929044150_296173963@emout14.mail.aol.com> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: DAS for FREE! Sender: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk Reply-To: TangP@aol.com << Hey, if you want to use DAS, but can't afford the fhone call cost since you don't live in New York, use a pay phone. It won't cost anything that way, because you can still hear what's on the other side, you just can't say anything yourself. Am I right here, or am I just making myself look like an idiot again? As far as I know, as long as you don't try it with one of those newer phones that asks for money first and a number later, then it should work. The older ones are designed to put in a quarter after you know the other person has picked up. >> I'm not exactly sure how that would work...but I've found out a way to at least here a little bit of what DAS is playing. Use the always handy 1-800-CALL-ATT number...and then call the DAS number (718-387-6962). After a few seconds, the thing realizes it's an answering machine and then the operator comes on the line. But you can hear about 30 seconds of it....I'm not sure how useful that is, but hey...30 seconds is better than nothing for poor college students like me. Brent ps-Boring Activity #179---Use 1-800-CALL-ATT and put in a random number...and see if the people that answer will actually accept the charges. it with one of those newer phones that asks for money first and a > number later, then it should work. The older ones are designed to put > in a quarter after you know the other person has picked up. > And, btw, now that I thought of this, what's that number again? I > noticed that it changes from CD to CD, and don't remember what it is > now. Thanks. > Aneurin Gray > Whoo, I have _never_ seen a payphone that asks for money _after_ the other person has picked up. Any payphone that I have ever used, you put the money in, and then, if the person on the other end doesn't pick up, it spits your quarter out again. Nice idea, though. The phone number is 718-387-6962. I've been dialing it since 11pm! Boy, I sure wish I had re-dial! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 08:35:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: RE: Factory Showroom / Dial-A-Song At 11:58 PM 9/28/96 -0700, you wrote: >i heard something about a backyard.. i have not heard all of there stuff >as i only have the basic cd's fllod,jh,o18,pink,lincoln,msc.t,wdtss. >so if someone can tell me the name/album for this song i would love to know! >thanx. On DAS, you mean? I think that was "Maine" -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 09:39:29 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: *snarl* > just a little something from mr_me > (mr_me@tmbg.org) > HAVE A DAY! > > >On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 DGently253@aol.com wrote: >> --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway >> > isn;t it spelled "NyQuil"? with a big Q. > -john Yeah it would be, to quote Dennis Leary: "Captial N small y Big Fucking Q I love that Q don't you? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 09:41:09 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Brain Candy >Oh, I thought I'd mention it since nobody else has.... > >The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring >the song, "Spiralling Shape." > >-Dawg > You can rent it if you want, as it is a really good movie, but don't expect a big rockin groovin party with Spirraling Shape. It's on for about two seconds. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 09:58:48 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Brown Brown Brown Brown Brown Well people, I went to a concert last night. It was good. There were only about 600 people there and it was not violent at all. The music was good, but the levels on the instruments were a little too high. The Candy Butchers opened, they played a whole bunch of stuff I didn't recognize (probably because it was by them) and then they started doing some covers, They did Watchtower, Eye of the tiger and they tried beat it. I really liked them and thought that they should have kept playing while the roadies were setting up for the giants. 30 minutes later, after one of the longest stage checks ever, they came on. It looked to me that Flansie either got his hair cut real short, or he's going bald. I have no clue as to the order of these songs, but they played... NOTHING FROM THE PINK ALBUM!!!! Lincoln Ana Ng (Linnel sang "Oversize Load" on the bridge) Flood Birdhouse Twistin Particle man Istanbul Apollo 18 Dig my grave Spider The Guitar She's actual size John Henry Meet James Ensor Spy Subliminal No One Knows My Plan Factory Showroom S-E-X-X-Y Until My head Falls off How Can I sing like a girl? Exquisite dead guy NYC Your own worst enemy XTC v. Adam Ant James K. Polk Pet Name They also played Stayin Alive and Maybe I know. The only weird thing I can report is that whenever they'd play one of their new songs, it *appeared* that Linnell would look over at me mouthing the words, and smile. This is probably just my imagination, because everyone in front and behind me probably saw the same thing. Linnell's throat seems to be better, he went nuts on untill my head falls of. I still don't understand how they do the puppets on EDG. ------------------------------ Date: 29 Sep 1996 12:23:00 +0200 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: *snarl* Organization: puppet head Evan Chakroff wrote: > Why would there be problems with different record store chains and > different release dates for the single if Elektra has always had the > release date as being Oct 8 for the single and the album? CDNow has Oct 15 as the release date for the single. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:15:33 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Toledo Show Just a little curious...Who else is planning on attending the Toledo show on OCT. 20th at Savage Hall? Who's going to the MI show on ??? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: John Murray Subject: Factory Showroom Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:26:23 -0400 (EDT) I have setup a page about Factory Showroom. I have some of the songs(metal detector and SEXXY) in wav and real audio format. Also the cover art, information about a even better preview. Finally a countdown timer to the US Factory Showroom relase! You can see it at http://jmurray.campus.vt.edu/tmbg -- -John Murray jmurray@vt.edu New Music by They Might Be Giants! http://jmurray.campus.vt.edu/tmbg/ The Unnoffical Pritcahrd Home Page http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~murray/pritchard ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:21:12 -0500 (EST) From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Subject: Nov. 8th @ Roseland? Someone mentioned a big show on 11/8. ANybody have any info on this? Are tix on sale? Thanks! -Andy Hrmm, just curious, how many people have been on this list for a long time? I've been here for about 5 years. Oh - What songs did I here on DAS? It was mostly keyboard, JL singing alot about "love"? (I know that's vague, but I have faith someone can do it..) ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 13:34:43 -0400 Subject: Certain People, DAS2 and maybe more i should just get on the real list instead of the digest so i can answer these things before theyre 1000 yrs old- heres my take on certain people but ive been wrong before: Certain People (this is tough one so add on.. its really cool!) by: they might be giants sung by: john linnell the few surviveing samurai survey the battle field count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by 5 drenched in blood they move across the screen (street?) do i need to point or do u see the one i mean the one in back the way he acts is he reminding you of anyone we know isnt he so like certain people i could name halfway through the 30 minutes halfway round the world here's the story of a genocidal overlord (??)came to power drenched in equalness (??) watch her little gesture as she lights a cigerette look at her you must see it too is she reminding you of anyone we know isnt she so like certain people i could name mr natures voice describes what anyone can see as a lizard eats some helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy while the camera moves (pans?) to close up on the reptile child how could u not see it too is he reminding u of anyone we know isnt he so like certain people how could anybody miss _________________________________uncanny(dedicated?) then the rest isnt he just like certain people i could name... ooh, i *love* that song! DAS 2- i would certainly love to help.. i live in manhattan so its just the usual 10.6 cents from here (no, i dont know what u do with .6 of a cent) but someone barrowed my recorder and i wont have it again till next tuesday.. along with all my pix from the mercury lounge =( since someone asked- the spiralling shape on the album is slightly different from the KITH one.. i dont know how exactly but its not as light and fluffy.. its still got that "train comeing" beep sound tho.. god, that still scares me sometimes! liz, who was scared half to death today walking down the street and seeing a very bald billy corgan on the cover of details magazine ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 13:32:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Soul Coughing mentions TMBG, So Do the 4Lads Hello! (a great word, I realized, after Mr. Flansburgh's efforts to popularize it) . . . Ben or Been, here again, sharing some more TMBG info. In the liner booklet of Soul Coughing's new album _Irresistible Bliss_, in the thank-you section, they mention They Might Be Giants. A lil' factoid. Also, on the Four Lads' commemorative CD, the liner booklet also mentions TMBG as popularizing the Four Lads' fifties hit, "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)." ALSO, my friend, upon hearing the Brownsville mix of "Istanbul," pointed out some more samples it contains. So far, we know of these samples in that awesome mix: Janet Jackson ("edit," and "You're not taping this, are you?" (?)) Kraftwerk (robot noise near the end) De La Soul (the beat, from "Me Myself and I," and the "this is a recording" from the next track on _3 Feet High and Rising_, "L.I.F.E.") These are all I know. If anyone recognizes anything else, point it out. I really want to know where they got the white tornado bit. I love TMBG too much (I research them), Ben or Been (who can't wait to write interps of new songs) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:11:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT Ruprecht: > I got a tape of some Elektra B-sides and remixes today and I just >realized how empty my life was without them... So I was thinking, what >about all the other poor souls? I have this idea for a web page of >hard-to-find Elektra tmbg tracks. I am wondering if anyone is willing to >help me. What I need from you are the b-sides from the Flood and Apollo >18 singles and the Braincandy version of Spiralling Shape. I have the >MMPR Soundtrack, Back To Skull and WDTSS on CD so they are not a >problem. If am I forgetting something let me know. The BC version of Spiralling Shape is identical to the album version. As for what else you're missing...there's "One More Parade" from Rubiayat, "25 O'Clock" from A Testimonial Dinner, and three EPs: Istanbul (w/ James K. Polk, Ant, Stormy Pinkness, and Istanbul [Brownsville Mix]), Guitar (w/ Welcome To The Jungle, I Blame You, Moving To The Sun, and three alternate mixes of The Guitar) and Statue (w/ Siftin', Cabbagetown, and "Larger Than Life" [the Joshua Fried remix of "She's Actual Size"]). Someone: >Pratchett is a better author and at the same time is funnier than > Adams. This *really* shouldn't be here, but...I have read all of Adams' stuff and I'm working on Pratchett's now. I would most definitely not say that Pterry is funnier; his humor is less of a "laugh-out-loud" than Adams', anyway. And obviously you've never read Adams' "Dirk Gently" books, which are IMHO much better than the HHG (which is still pretty good, btw) BlueDawg: >The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring >the song, "Spiralling Shape." For half a second. Another Guy: >Isn't Spiralling Shape the same version on KITH and Factory Showroom. And >speaking of Elektra b-sides/etc... Isn't that what Superfueled Freakcicle >was going to be? (Or has SF been transformed into the rumored 2-CD >b-side/remix/new song extravaganza?) SUPERFUELED...IS...NOT...THE...RESTLESS...BOX...SET. There. Okay, everybody, this is the lowdown on SF and the box set. The 2-CD set is called "Then: The Early Years", is *not* a rumor, will contain all three Bar/None discs (Pink, Lincoln, Misc T) in addition to 18 unreleased songs (incl. the classroom version of Particle Man and the demo tape version of Don't Let's Start.), is on Restless, TMBG's *old* label, and will be out in February. Superfueled Freaksickle has been delayed (again) to make way for T:TEY, so probably 2nd quarter '97, will contain "the better" Elektra B-sides, "some live material," and those songs which were played on the mini-tour and aren't on either Factory Showroom or any of it's various sings, will "probably" be a 2-CD set, and will be released on Elektra. Leo, you might want to (a) want to update the news page (it still says that an unchosen song will be released as a single on 9/24) and (b) put the above material on it. It's all official from Pat Dillett and the Restless webpage, BTW, if anyone thinks I'm making it up. Ruprecht Again: > Oh give it up, most of the Newbies don't even know what you're >talking about when you say Big Blue Dog... Wouldn't it be funny if this >started a huge debate and people hated me more in a week? Funny, not >unlikely. Well, I must agree with you there...sorry, Dawg, I think you lost this one. It will go down into antiquity as the Pink Album. As for people hating Ruprecht even more: too late, already happened. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \-----the legs, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants----------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:21:16 -0400 From: BRAK Subject: unhappiness To all of you who have been bashing Flans or supporting him in his attempt to become more mainstream, without him there would be no tmbg and that would just plain suck. I feel we should support the two of them in any decisions just for the pure enjoyment they have given to us over the years. That's all I have to say about that. ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:19:11 +0005 Subject: RA FS wow, I just found a web site where you can listen to the entire album via Realaudio. it rules. I like the album version of James K. Polk better than others I've heard. In fact, I'm listening to it now. the address is http://www.sonicnet.com/feature/rabroad/giants.html the links to the ra files aren't listed on the page, so you have to go right to http://www.sonicnet.com/feature/rabroad/ram/giants.ram. if you have ra 3.0 you can use giants3.ram instead for better quality. it rules!!! sorry if it's old hat, but I just ofund it and I'm about to wet my pants with excitement. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:16:39 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT and three EPs: Istanbul (w/ James K.Polk, Ant, Stormy Pinkness, and Istanbul [Brownsville Mix]), Guitar (w/Welcome To The Jungle, I Blame You, Moving To The Sun, and three alternate mixes of The Guitar) and Statue (w/ Siftin', Cabbagetown, and "Larger Than Life" [the Joshua Fried remix of "She's Actual Size"]). Statue acctually has I'm Def, Actual Size and the demo version of which describes how you're feeling. The songs you mentioned as statue are on the I palindrome I single. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:13:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: TRUgLE On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Ruprecht the Ass wrote: > On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:46:39 -0400 () BlueDawg > writes: > >On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: > >> John Henry - horny. well I mean as in lots of horns. maybe I > >should have > >> said "hornfull" > > > >weird, overdone > > Weird is too _good_ for a description of JH > > >> FActory Showroom - in the immortal words of Mr. John Flansburgh ... > >"next > >> step" > > > >In the immortal words of Mr. John Linnell ... "All Fucked Up."--March > >'96 > > In the words of me "Hi, we're a rock and roll band" > > =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= > The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ > The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org > The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" > =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ > Am I the only one who had any respect for JH? It was my first TMBG album back in '94, and I still think its a pretty good representation of their music... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 96 17:30 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy >There's very little quirky about JH, which is the way JF likes it. Eeek! The "Q" word! Seriously, though, it's all relative. I mean, maybe JH isn't as "quirky" as Their earlier albums, but it's definitely "quirky" compared to other bands. Kirsten (who for soem reason keeps typing her name Kirsetn. Grrr.) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:30:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Not so short. Someone: >So I fail to see how Adams is a Wannabe Prachett (sic). Besides, even ignoring >the dates, the two (excellant) authors are such poles apart that it would be >like saying that TMBG are like Oasis cos they're both Indie bands. (There, I >knew I'd get this off-topic back on the road!) I have to agree. Pterry and DNA have similar senses of humor, and a big common fanbase, but calling DNA a wannabe Pratchett is ridiculous. The books are really not very similar once you get into them. And, just so you know, neither TMBG or Oasis is an indie band, so there. :) The aptly-named Ruprecht The Ass (who is *really* beginning to grate on me): > Good luck. The _original_ demo is only possessed by certain >people, these certain people have been told by certain other people not >copy this demo who in turn were told by others. These certain people >will only give this demo out to certain people I don't know. In short, >you will very likely _never_ see the _original_ demo. This is largely >because certain people have left a certain List/Newsgroup due to the >actions/stupidity of certain other people, but don't worry, you're new. Could you please explain what the hell you're talking about? I assume you're talking about myke and his temporary absence from amt, but what's this about the "original demo" (I assume you're talking about the 1984 "Early Demos") and how those who have it have been told not to dub it for others? And your "oh yeah since you're new here, all the other people here are stupid assholes and fucked up your chance of ever getting a copy of this tape, tough luck" attitude doesn't help, especially since *you* seem to be the most belligerant (sic) and obnoxious person here right now. > Solo projects do not break up bands, bands that are about to >break up make solo projects. Or just bands that are overflowing with creativity...nope. That can't be it. You don't like TMBG's new style, therefore they're no longer creative. Sorry, how stupid of me not to automatically believe you. >Bands that are about to break up hire guest >musicians so they have to behave or go off and play on other bands >albums. No, bands who want more people than themselves playing hire guest musicians. >They went >out and made their final album, a compilation with minimal new tracks on >it (ahem, Freaksickle). Are you saying that compilation albums are bad? Misc T didn't have anything new on it. Compilations are a part of a band's life, bud. > Why is >it that Flans acted so embarrassed when he came out and said there were >only 13 tracks[3]? >[3] I'm talking about that Sonic Net IRC chat he did a while back I was there. Please explain how Flans acted "embarrased". He said, very specifically, "there will be 13 tracks..." not "Unfortunately..." He didn't use any emoticons. Did you read his mind? >DAS: > What songs have people heard on it today? So far the list looks something >like this: > Spiralling Shape > Unsupervised (I Hit My Head) > Edison Museum > The Bells > Particle Man (w/ choir?) That's the 1st grade classroom singing it. >anyone heard anything else? Someone heard Dr. Kildare. >And anyway, comparing Pratchett's warm, gentle, sentimental humor to Adams' >edgy, dark humor is like comparing...I dunno, like comparing Apollo 18 to JH >or Lincoln. "Warm, gentle, sentimental"? Whaaaaat? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: free tmbg Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 18:08:39 -0400 (EDT) I know that on at least some payphones if you have a long thin piece of wire you can jimmy it around in the receiver and eventually it will allow you to make a free phone call. I haven't done this in a long time though. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:50:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: PODAS I know I've asked before, but hey, I'm not above begging: Please, please, please may I have PODAS? Heck, I'll even _pay_ for it. Or send a tape. I don't I really have anything fun to trade, but we can work something out. Please contact me personally and NOT THROUGH THE LIST (I take up enough room as it is!) if you can help me out on this! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Really. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: sonic net page Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:48:03 -0400 (EDT) Hi all, I just went over to the Sonic Net site where they are going to be doing the sneak preview listenings of Factory Showroom. As I read the little article3 they said that they were happy to finally produce the album with their friend Pat Dillett who did Flood with them. Now the funny thing is if you look in the bottom left hand corner of the page it says 'Produced by Pat Dilbert & TMBG' hehe, the Dilbert influence grows! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:53:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Concert in northern CA? Hideho, everyone, from the Poster Formerly Known As Nnicole@hooked.net Back from my two months in France, where I converted two relatives (not that it'll do them much good; the only music store carrying TMBG in France is the Virgin Superstore in Paris, and all they have is Flood.) So here I am at the University of California at Davis, a mere ten miles from Vacaville, CA, which translates from the Spanish as "Cowtown". And I have several burning questions. Did anything ever come of the t-shirt idea? Where can I get one? And, more importantly, When are They coming to the Sacramento or San Francisco or San Jose area? Anybody know? Please tell me. Eagerly anticipating FS and SEXXY, nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: A Taste of DC festival Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 18:26:27 -0400 (EDT) > OK, before I get into the opinion stuff, does anyone know anything more about > the Oct 14 concert in DC that I know they're just dying to tell me? Hiya Christy, Well I had a number for some DC Bureau to find out more info on A Taste of DC but i can't seem to find that. When I did call all they could tell me was it was from Oct 12-14 from noon-7pm. From what i've seen TMBG will be on the 12th stage on Monday, Oct 14. I have heard from someone that it was free. I mailed a DC official person and someone who went to a previous Taste of DC so hopefully I will hear more info from them. If I don't find out times I'll just get down there at noon and try to find out there. I have heard that it is between 9-14th Sts. on Pennsylvania Ave. -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 96 17:47 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Order of Songs >I was just wondering if there is any correlation between the order in >which people hear TMBG songs and how much they like them. I dunno. The first two I heard were "Istanbul" and "Particle Man," and they made me wanna run right out an buy Flood. But when I make a tape of Giants stuff for a friend I want to get into TMBG, I almost never put either of those on there. I'm not sure why; maybe I don't want them to think TMBG is a "joke band" the way I did until I actually listened to Flood. Songs I usually use to introduce them are "Don't Let's Start," "Ana Ng," "Dead," "It's Not My Birthday," "See the Constellation," and "A Self Called Nowhere." I consider these different enough to represent the band fairly well, but not weird enought to alienate them. If I'd heard, say, "Hall of Heads" first, it would have scared me away, because the first time I heard it I got nightmares. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:31:16 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: RA Factory Showroom!! It's awesome! Go listen to it!! (Metal Detector has accordian at the beginning... cool.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:02:08 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: B-Sides, Remixes and Soundtrack Songs. On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Ruprecht the Ass wrote: > On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:34:27 -0500 (GMT-0500) BlueDawg > writes: > >The 2-CD box set is _only_ Bar/None era stuff. Big Blue Dog Album + > > Oh give it up, most of the Newbies don't even know what you're > talking about when you say Big Blue Dog... Wouldn't it be funny if this > started a huge debate and people hated me more in a week? Funny, not > unlikely. Oh, come off it. It gives the elders a good chuckle. The whole debate sparked a lot of things....Mister Blobby comes directly to mind. If they want, they can check the archives, and read for themselves. S. M. Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot Jeep Driver ObWittySig "Oh, kill me. I suck. I don't deserve air. I reek. I'm total waste of human flesh. I'll never be happy. I'm ugly. I'm bald. Someone hold me so I can cry."--Phil Bickel on Billy Corgan's Lyrics ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Flans bashing? Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:32:47 -0500 (EST) > > I have a question. Why all the Flans bashing??!? > If some of you felt this way about him (that he's onot as good, > that he sucks, that he's fat and stupid and wants to just be > a rock star, whatever may be the case) why hasn't this come out > before? Why the sudden rush of bashing upon him? > While I don't participate in or condone Flans bashing, I think that it's due to noticeable changes in his image/demeanor/behavior. I've been going to TMBG shows for six or seven years, and the Flans of today is simply much more ambitious and egotistical on the surface than the Flans of 1990. He is apparently more into the rock-star thing (and I don't mean that as an insult, just an observation), and he is more distant and antagonistic towards TMBG fans than he used to seem. Perhaps that's just how he's able to handle his present situation. At any rate, various accounts have these "negatives" showing up well before he started letting his "Mr. Happy Friendly" public persona slip over the last couple of years. He's still a smart, funny, talented guy capable of producing great music, however, and while I don't mind discussing his behavior and personality, I draw the line at judging or criticizing it. If I were in his place, I'm sure people would think I were much more of a jerk:-) m@t ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:31:21 +0005 Subject: das number what's the number for DaS? ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:31:03 -0400 Subject: Re: Roseland Nov 8th Does anyone know what time TMBG will be starting their concert at Roseland? Oh, and if anyone has ever been to Roseland before, what do you think of the place? Good place to go see TMBG or not? Fun place to see bands in general or not? There's sooooo much to respond to on the whole Pratchett vs. Adams and Wall: Good or Not? topics that I'm NOT going to respond to because they're both flagrantly non-TMBG related. I just had to tell y'all that I'm not going to respond. I wouldn't feel like I had won some sort of moral victory if nobody even knew... -Dan - Another NyQuil driver on the information superhighway ------------------------------ Subject: Re: FW: unpopularity and hypocrisy From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:33:28 EDT On Sun, 29 Sep 96 17:30 EDT kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: >>There's very little quirky about JH, which is the way JF likes it. > > Eeek! The "Q" word! Seriously, though, it's all relative. I >mean, maybe JH isn't as "quirky" as Their earlier albums, but it's >definitely "quirky" compared to other bands. Not really, if you think JH is quirky compared to other bands you've been listening to too much top 40 radio and need to check out these: Ween (and any of their 5 cd discography) Frente! (or at least Marvin the Album) Beck or Beck! (as in Beck!Odelay) Cibo Matto (Viva La Woman! is the best album I've heard, um, all month) Blur (check out their instrumental songs and get back to me) Ben Folds Five (it's not quirky, just a better album) Madness (same as BF5) the Beatles (Revolver and beyond) Wally Pleasant (soon to release his 4th LP!!!!! Although it only comes in CD format...) The Rentals (Sure it's a side project...) Mono Puff (not only quirkier, but better than JH too) Um, there's more, but you get the point! =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Not so short. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:33:28 EDT On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:30:04 -0400 (EDT) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: >The aptly-named Ruprecht The Ass (who is *really* beginning to grate >on me): > >> Good luck. The _original_ demo is only possessed by certain >>people, these certain people have been told by certain other people not >>copy this demo who in turn were told by others. These certain people >>will only give this demo out to certain people I don't know. In short, >>you will very likely _never_ see the _original_ demo. This is largely >>because certain people have left a certain List/Newsgroup due to the >>actions/stupidity of certain other people, but don't worry, you're >new. > >Could you please explain what the hell you're talking about? I assume you're >talking about myke and his temporary absence from amt, but what's this about >the "original demo" (I assume you're talking about the 1984 "Early Demos") >and how those who have it have been told not to dub it for others? And your >"oh yeah since you're new here, all the other people here are stupid >assholes and fucked up your chance of ever getting a copy of this tape, >tough luck" attitude doesn't help, especially since *you* seem to be the >most belligerant (sic) and obnoxious person here right now. I am in no way referring to Myke. Myke does not have the original demos, nor does he think he will. Myke is attempting to acquire it and other demos, but doesn't think it's likely he will. It's not as if I have it either, I'm just making a slight point... I love being publicly assulted... >>They went >>out and made their final album, a compilation with minimal new tracks on >>it (ahem, Freaksickle). > >Are you saying that compilation albums are bad? Misc T didn't have anything >new on it. Compilations are a part of a band's life, bud. No I'm just making a connection, Misc. T. does not fit the description I just made. I was referring to the Police's last album Every Breath You Take which was nothing more than a compilation with one new track. >> Why is >>it that Flans acted so embarrassed when he came out and said there were >>only 13 tracks[3]? >>[3] I'm talking about that Sonic Net IRC chat he did a while back > >I was there. Please explain how Flans acted "embarrased". He said, very >specifically, "there will be 13 tracks..." not "Unfortunately..." He didn't >use any emoticons. Did you read his mind? People said things like "Only thirteen?!?" and Flans didn't seem particularly proud of that aspect of the new album. If you wish to assult me, fine, try private mail though. =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:13:11 -0700 From: Linda Cowan Subject: Curious Well. I couldn't hear the album on sonicnet cause it's only there at certain times. Anyways, please excuse me if this is a stupid question, what's this HAIL ERIS thing? I've seen it at work before. What is it, please? Trillian (ha, ha, Douglas Adam's reference!) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 21:23:26 -0400 Subject: Re: Brain Candy >>The Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy is now out on video. Featuring the song, "Spiralling Shape." *snip* OBTW: I think that John Linnell is in that movie somewhere. Like the audience during the talk show.<< After reading that, I was ready to come back saying "what the hell are you talking about?" But after pulling out my copy, I see the guy you think could be him. It isn't John. When the close up when the lady says "How big is your house?" you can see the guy, and it definitely isn't Linnell. >>Kay, who loves it when KitH & TMBG collide, like in BC and on Larry Sanders!<< Hey Kay! I recognize you from the KITH newsgroup! Where'd you go? -the socially backward (thanks Josh! :)) sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "My town burned down. And the police asked me to stay here 'til it's fixed." - Scott Thompson, Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 21:23:53 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Us slow ones.... Well I have made a total waste of time. I have added a new section to my little corner. http://www.dragonfire.net/~RobNg/giants.html Going here will take you to the They Might Be Giants Song Of The Day!!!!!!!!! This will feature many dial a songs and for now, The FS songs for people who don't have 28.8+ modems so the RA doesn't work. If you are interested in what the song is, it is now located at the bottom of my .sig Do not try to go yet as it is not up, it shoul be up by 11 tonight and it will be changed around that time every day. *****************************TMBG SONG OF THE DAY***************************** ==================================WEEP DAY==================================== ****************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:03:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: EFnet IRC #TMBG Hi. I know many of you have visited EFnet IRC #TMBG. Well, in recent months the bot (JohnHenry) had been on and off and it seems like less and less people have been visiting. I have recently put my bot, Lincoln, onto fyi.net's main server and he is on #TMBG full time. It is a great place to talk to fans of TMBG...There is also an Undernet #TMBG which many of you know about run by MDM. Anyways, come stop by #TMBG... I am on as Jish. I also have made an EFnet #TMBG home page...check it out: http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html Thanx :) Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:12:20 -0400 (EDT) From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: RA FS Hi all! No, I'm not dead, I just have hard classes this year and a ten-minute news show to produce and edit every week. Anyway, the point of this letter is that I think I'm going to sob. That stoopid real audio thing requires a 28.8 modem and while I have that on my PC I have no sound card and I have sound on my mac but a 14.4.:( Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be old fashioned and actually wait for the album to come out. Not an Equisite Dead Guy, Brother JohnBejezus "The aching and the breaking are the making of a soul" - The Residents ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:25:47 -0400 Subject: Re: dial a radio and stuff x not to be un-happy, but in Christi's letter it was mentioned that xthat "Their music is so ... happy." I think many of Their _beats_ or x_rhythems_ may seem happy but their songs are relatively un-happy, sometimes xeven SCARY, like Where Your Eyes Don't Go on Lincoln, that song freaks me out. Hmm, I guess I concede. All I meant was that they avoid the angst-ridden or suicidal or whiny or pissed off tone of 95% of everything played on the radio. Even WYEDG seems cheerful compared to, oh, almost anything by Nirvana or Offspring or, dare I say it? Alanis. xAm I the only one who had any respect for JH? Nope! --Christy ------------------------------ From: sgleave@btigate.com Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 19:58:21 -0700 Subject: Spiraling Shape could someone please send me the words to Spiraling Shape? Or am I just a moron and it's already on the webpage? Either way, I seek guidance. Aneurin Gray ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: more taste of dc Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 01:06:25 -0400 (EDT) A fellow sent me an email with a web page for A Taste of DC, http://www.nbc4.com/taste.html Unfortunately it only talks about the food stuff that'll be there and there is no mention of TMBG. It is from 11am-6:30 pm the guy said tho. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-267 ******************************