Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-268 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 268 Tuesday, 1 October 1996 Today's Topics: My incredible TMBG story (must read) Re: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT stealing stuff Flansburg vs. Linnell WDTSS - the Frank Sinatra Mix my frank submission Re: Us slow ones.... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 Re: Not So Short. Re: CPICN BOBA MAIL: Flans bashing? Napolean huh? I love TMBG more than vanilla bean ice cream ::sigh:: Request Fwd: Re: Napolean huh? Re: I love TMBG more than vanilla bean ice cream RealAudio FS Re: Not So Short. Jacksonville? Re: Fwd: Re: Napolean huh? Re: Paul Simon and Them Flans directing Soul Coughing? introduction-new TMBG listers! Re: Not So Short. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 Wahoo Re: Not So Short. Re: Wahoo New York City Wht my modem (and all 14.4s) suck DAS question Re: Fretting Factory Showroom Re: Jacksonville? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 02:55:38 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: My incredible TMBG story (must read) Hi all. I am back from my amazing TMBG weekend and I wanted to tell you all about it. It begins on Friday in Albany where I went to see TMBG play with the Violent Femmes. This is like an 8 hour drive from Totonot, where I live. I left around ten in the morning with my friends Alex and Heather. It was amazingly easy to find the school and the auditorium which was a huge gymnasium. Though there seemed to be a lot of security, no one tossed us from the gym lobby and this enabled me to watch TMBG's sound check through the round porthole-like windows. At one point I think Flans looked up at me and waved, but I cannot be sure. However by this time I was already pretty happy because quite by chance we had already run into Brian Doherty coming out the stage exit and chatted with him, which was quite fun. He seemed very nice and interested in talking. He seemed impressed that we have come so far and also at my recollection of notable shows I had seen over the years (DC in August, Totonot in 1994, for example). At one point Alex recalled seeing them in T.O. in Aug 1992, and I remarked that there had been another drummer at that time, the name of which escaped me (J.D. Feinberg, I realise now) and Doherty smiled and said "Oh yeah, but let's not talk about him!" Anyway he said he hoped to see us around and proceeded to go back to the stage entrance but by this time they had closed the large metal doors and he was locked out. He kicked the door and smashed and banged it and it must have taken two minutes before anyone opened the door. Alex and I found it curious that no one inside recognised the unique sound of Doherty's banging. Oh well. After that we watched the sound check and when that was over we hung around inside and watched the number of security personnel grow absurdly, though no one threw us out for a long time. Before we did get nicely tossed, I signed my name to the mailing list one more damn time, but this time I signed it Rolf Conant. What the hell. The crowd outside was enormous, comprised largely of adolescents and other ruffian types with cool hair and clothes and stuff and I felt so inferior in my knowledge that I would never be that cool. Anyway it took over 45 minutes for me to get inside after the line started to move because they were checking each and every one of us with metal detectors. I had to relinquish my tiny pocket knife which of course I was going to use to try to kill someone. Fortunately though the metal detector seemed unable to detect the recording device somewhere on my friend's body, though it did beep loudly when passed over my crotch area. Hmmm. Five minutes after we got in, the lights went out and TMBG came on. This was when I knew for sure that they were OPENING for Violent Femmes and not the other way round. Once they came on, security suddenly realised that if they kept checking everyone, they would be there all night so they just stopped checking people. What a joke. I had to pull my tiny little dull blade off my keychain five minutes earlier and now any punk with contraband was strolling right in. One of the banned items had been lighters, for some reason. I thought you almost had to bring lighters to a rock concert, for, you know, that slow song you like so much. Oh well. Anyway TMBG did a fine set, though the sound was kinda muddy but OK. However it was over in around 45 minutes and when we sure they were not coming back, Alex, Heather and I left. Now, you are saying, wait: You drove all that way, paid $25 Canadian and LEFT before the Femmes? Well, yes, and soon you will understand why. I should also say I never got a chance to find Amy/Seta. Sorry. Maybe next time. I never even found my friend Sarah and her brother Tom, the people who put me up for the night, until after the TMBG set. But I did meet my wonderful friend Fran, who came with her sister and some friends and who brought the banner she made with Nola for the DC show. Fran's really great and I'm so glad she was there. It was very reassuring to be in this madhouse, replete with ambulances and fainting concertgoers and other assorted mayhem, and yet to be able to talk to this placid centre of calm, a familiar face in the fracas. About the TMBG set itself: Pretty good. Older, Exqusite Dead Guy (with Puppetheads), Dig My Grave, New York City...you get the idea. Good energy. Nice improvs by Flans, and Linnell conducted the Spy ending. Lots of moshing, even when there was no music playing. There was even flying articles of clothing. Anyway we went around to the stage entrance again and we saw all the non-John musicians piling into a car. Eric was in the passenger seat ( I guess he called shotgun before anyone else). I shook Graham's hand after kind of demanding shake his hand, it was through the car window. Then, Brian appeared and, he remembered our names. He said something like "Hope you'll come out and see us again" and I told him that we had tried to get tickets for the following night's show in Providence, since we were already visiting Albany and Rhode Island was only a few hours away, but had found it impossible for various reasons. He frowned, and paused, and then got behind the wheel of the car and said "I'll put you on." I almost could not believe I heard him say this so I said "You WILL?" and he said "Yeah, Mike plus two." Then Alex reminded him of the girl we were staying with in Germantown, and Brian said "OK, Mike plus 3." Then we thanked him profusely and he drove away. Then I realised what had happened. BRIAN DOHERTY HAD PUT US ON THE GUEST LIST FOR THE PROVIDENCE SHOW!!!!! I could not believe this amazing stroke of luck. I should also say that Matt James had planned to go to this show back when it seemed possible to get tickets, but gave up on this idea when tix became impossible to get. To Matt, I wanna say I'm sorry you could not have been there. This whole thing was a stroke of chance, and I was thrilled of course, but I never forgot that it would exclude Matt, and I do regret that. Anyway, skip to the next night after a 3 hour drive to Providence, where we found the building at Brown University where they were playing and went for food and the unavoidable look through the record stores. I luckily found a King Missile (Dog Fly Religion) record on vinyl from 1988 called "They", which I had never heard of. Is this on CD as well, does anyone know? As some of you know, King Missile is one of my favourite bands and I just love John S. Hall, so this was a cool find. Around 45 minutes later we actually saw Brian Doherty walking around. He walked right past us and into that same record store. However I was full of Mexican food and didn't put up much of a chase, so I didn't get to talk to him. So at 7.30 PM we went to the auditorium and announced we were on the guest list, which happened to be true and we just walked right in!! This place is a rather small room and I was pleased that it was an intimate venue with a small crowd made up of TMBG fans. Kudos to the guy who climbed in through the window at one point, avoiding the nasty security at the front entrance. I also met the cherubic, cuddly TMBG lister Rob Grabill, who seemed to either fear me, dislike me, or feel indifferent about me, but I realise that there are a number of reasons for this: First, I am 10 years older than he is. Second, sometimes people get nervous meeting people in person after talking to them on the computer. Third, I've sent him numerous email messages telling him that I hate him. Now that I think about it, that might be it. I did that cause A: He has Factory Showroom and B: When I thought I would not be at this show, he told me he would be. Anyway, I don't hate him. In fact he is a very nice guy and I wish that I could have spoken to him more, though I really got that "leave me alone" vibe after a few minutes. I do, however, acknowledge that since he is 13 and I am 23, there is little chance we're gonna pal around and go out drinking. But my way is the friendly way, and age is no matter to me if you are a decent person. I was glad to see Rob there and I really wanted to poke him in the stomach cause he was so cute but I never got the chance, he left without saying goodbye. I vow, if it is the last thing I will ever do, I will get you, Rob Grabill. (Diabolical music). Anyway Candy Butchers opened and they were good as usual. They did a 45 minute set and it looked like Mike Viola was wearing Flans' big dark sunglasses. There was a half hour wait for TMBG to come on, this was still a shorter wait than at DC in August. However at 9.15 they came on and performed the following set, in this order: Older Meet James Ensor Ana Ng Snail Shell Nyquil Driver/Staying Alive Why Does The Sun Shine Your Own Worst Enemy Subliminal Pet Name James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like A Girl Spider/The Guitar Birdhouse In Your Soul She's Actual Size New York City Spy (Flans improv) Maybe I Know Istanbul XTC Vs. Adam Ant Exquisite Dead Guy Until My Head Falls Off No One Knows My Plan SEXXY Dig My Grave They Got Lost Particle Man Twisting They were both animated and Linnell even leapt about a bit. Linnell's voice seems to be alright as well cause he belted out a few tunes very strongly. And yes, he had the trusty Hohner accordion which we used to excellent effect. They brought out the Puppet heads for Exquisite Dead Guy, and these are two very tall mic stand with these little heads on the top, both different. John and John stand next to the heads (which have very tall microphones placed before their puppet mouths) and pull little strings which make the mouths open and close. It seems that the vocal track is pretaped but the band plays live, cause John and John were not actually performing the vocals live and this was obvious. However the effect is very strange and entertaining, and at a certain point they both struck an identical mock-pensive pose which reminded me of their earlier days and this I enjoyed. They seemed to like playing together that night, and the energy was infectious. Best line of the night: "Why they changed it, I can't say. People just liked an oversize load." Oh yeah, at the Albany show Linnell replaced one of the "Subliminals" with "Schermerhorn." Heh. After the show, Alex got himself a set list and I was so jealous I asked a roadie for one and he gave it to me!! This was the first time I ever got a set list. Happy I was. We went outside and then Flans came out carrying a load of stuff, so we walked over and said hi and he was nice but in a hurry so he was gone. Then Linnell came out and we said hi and told him where we were from and he thanked us for coming out (all the while walking away) and Alex asked for an autograph and Linnell said "I'm holding way too much stuff." So we thanked him anyway and he left. I never got to see Brian to say thank you, but I hope to do that one day. This was a great show and I would never have been there if it was not for his good graces. He's also one helluva drummer. Well, I won't bother getting into the 3 hour drive back to Germantown, or the eight hour drive back to Totonot the next day but I will say that on top of TMBG, we also watched MST3K's Mitchell (my 3rd time seeing it), and we called our friend Sam in New Zealand (but not before getting the wrong number first, a travel agency in NZ). There is still one more TMBG related facet to this story, but to find out what that is, you will have to go to my web page in a few days. All I will say is, I didn't see no signs saying No recording devices. That's it, that's the story. How I met Brian and got to see a TMBG show for free, as a guest. Supercool. Oh yeah, when we folded just the first flap of our road map of SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, it read SONGLAND. I loved that. Mike http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy To be updated within a few days ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 03:54:27 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > Ruprecht Again: > > > Oh give it up, most of the Newbies don't even know what you're > >talking about when you say Big Blue Dog... Wouldn't it be funny if this > >started a huge debate and people hated me more in a week? Funny, not > >unlikely. > > Well, I must agree with you there...sorry, Dawg, I think you lost this one. > It will go down into antiquity as the Pink Album. As for people hating > Ruprecht even more: too late, already happened. I really like Ruprecht. He's a fearless little bastard, ain't he? Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:17:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: stealing stuff On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I know that on at least some payphones if you have a long thin > piece of wire you can jimmy it around in the receiver and eventually > it will allow you to make a free phone call. I haven't done this in a > long time though. > Matt Um, I used to know how to steal newspapers from boxes by smashing the door real hard just under the lock while pulling the handle. I did that once to get something to cover my head while it was raining. I once stole a candy bar from a shop at a local theme park. I ripped off an MST3K poster from a rep theatre last month. Sometimes when I'm in a supermarket I eat food from the bulk bins. I sometimes switch price tags in record stores. I cut the legs off the periodic table. I've done a lot of very bad things, and I'm sorry. BTW I think Matthew Broderick used a pop can tab to rig a payphone in Wargames, but that was like 14 years ago. And Matt, did you see that Wallace and Gromit thing on PBS last week? It was great. Mike, plotting his next theft PS I knew you were a troublemaker, Matt. :) AT ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 05:10:25 -0400 Subject: Flansburg vs. Linnell Hello 41- This is kind of outdated, but hey, so am I. I thought this, and now I am writing this. If you take a look at the "big" singles off every album, you will see something. Don't Let's Start - Linnell Ana Ng - Linnell Hey Mr. DJ - Linnell Birdhouse - Linnell Statue or Palindrome - Linnell (I thought they were bigger than Guitar) Snailshell - Linnell It seems that the one doing the "big" singles is Linnell. This may have been (or Ben ha ha ha) brought up before. Probably has. Also, I am very fond of the not as rocking songs by flans of late. Reprehensible is incredible, and so are many off of JH. Brain Candy- Maybe someone can help me out on this one. Why wasn't the Tom Jones song included on the soundtrack? <> I wont' touch this one, though I should. Breifly, Adam I like ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 06:29:08 -0400 (EDT) From: greenjello@tmbg.org (Green Jello) Subject: WDTSS - the Frank Sinatra Mix Below is a Frank-E-Mail sent to you by Green Jello (greenjello@tmbg.org) on Monday, September 30, 1996 at 06:29:07 Have your e-mail translated into the language of Sinatra! LIVE CHAT AREA NOW OPEN! Visit http://www.pscentral.com/frank *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- The sun is a mass of incandescent gas A gigantic nuclear furnace Where hydrogen is built into helium At a temperature of millions of degrees Yo ho, it's hot, the sun is not A place where we could live But here on Earth there'd be no life Without the light it gives We need its light We need its heat We need its energy Without the sun, without a doubt There'd be no you and me The sun is a mass of incandescent gas A gigantic nuclear furnace Where hydrogen is built into helium At a temperature of millions of degrees The sun is hot It is so hot that everything on it is a gas: iron, copper, aluminum, and many others, baby. The sun is large If the sun were hollow, a million Earths could fit inside, baby. And yet, the sun is only a middle-sized star, baby. The sun is far away About 93 million miles away, and that's why it looks so small, baby. And even when it's out of sight The sun shines night and day The sun gives heat The sun gives light The sunlight that we see The sunlight comes from our own sun's Atomic energy Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom-smashing machine, baby. The heat and light of the sun come from the nuclear reactions of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and helium, baby. The sun is a mass of incandescent gas A gigantic nuclear furnace Where hydrogen is built into helium At a temperature of millions of degrees *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 06:19:08 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: my frank submission wow what a dud... i found a frank sinatra convertor program... similiar to the jive translator from a while back.. i was unimpressed by the results of this f.s. thing it just added a couple of "baby's" sorry to waste band width on something i thought would be funny Green Jello ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 07:07:41 -0400 (EDT) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: Us slow ones.... >Well I have made a total waste of time. I have added a new section to my >little corner. > >http://www.dragonfire.net/~RobNg/giants.html > >Going here will take you to the They Might Be Giants Song Of The Day!!!!!!!!! > >This will feature many dial a songs and for now, The FS songs for people >who don't have 28.8+ modems so the RA doesn't work. If you are interested >in what the song is, it is now located at the bottom of my .sig Do not try >to go yet as it is not up, it shoul be up by 11 tonight and it will be >changed around that time every day. > > >*****************************TMBG SONG OF THE DAY***************************** >==================================WEEP DAY==================================== >****************************************************************************** You know, I lied. My mike broke and so the SOTD will start tonite monday at 11. Sorry for the inconvienience. *****************************TMBG SONG OF THE DAY***************************** ==================================WEEP DAY==================================== ****************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 07:51:29 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 hey all! has *anyone* in michigan had any luck getting ahold of anyone who knows *anything* about the new releases?! i'm getting so frustrated-- the closest i've come is a clerk who said that he'd heard of "that monDo puff thing awhile back", and was that what i was looking for? sheesh!! anyway, the search continues! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:09:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Not So Short. Ruprecht: > I am in no way referring to Myke. Myke does not have the >original demos, nor does he think he will. Myke is attempting to acquire >it and other demos, but doesn't think it's likely he will. It's not as >if I have it either, I'm just making a slight point... I love being >publicly assulted... Your previous post basically comes off as a slightly more polite "Well, thanks to you all the really nice, smart, knowledgeable people on this list have left. You're stupid. Hey, new person, look at the stupid people." Now I don't know if that's what you meant imply, but it sure comes off that way. I certainly had nothing to do with "certain people" leaving the list, and the majority of people still here now didn't either. And I'm sorry if I "assaulted" you, I won't do that again. But I'd like to point out how you sounded, because you *really* come off as an arrogant, smug little bastard and it annoys me, among others. BTW, if Myke buys those demos from someone, I assume that part of the agreement is that the guy getting the money won't trade them around to anyone else (otherwise, why pay $250 for them?) Anyway, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with Myke "stopping the flow" of something like that. Not an attack on Myke at all, just my personal feelings on this situation. > No I'm just making a connection, Misc. T. does not fit the >description I just made. I was referring to the Police's last album >Every Breath You Take which was nothing more than a compilation with one >new track. Yeah, but then you make the insinuation that doing such a thing is a sign of a band's imminent demise/sucking. Why else make the Freaksickle reference? If there's another point there (other than that SF signals the breakup of TMBG) then I missed it. > People said things like "Only thirteen?!?" and Flans didn't seem >particularly proud of that aspect of the new album. Well, he's not going to say "Wow, I'm so excited that we only have thirteen songs on the album!" > If you wish to assult me, fine, try private mail though. I overreacted. I'm sorry about that. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:09:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: CPICN >mr natures voice describes what anyone can see >as a lizard eats some helpless creature on TV >music underscores the tragedy >while the camera moves (pans?) to close up on the reptile child It's "while the camera swoops to close-up on the reptile's mouth." After all, he just ate something, remember? :) >how could u not see it too is he reminding u of anyone we know isnt he so >like certain people how could anybody miss >_________________________________uncanny(dedicated?) then the rest >isnt he just like certain people i could name... Does anybody out there have a recording of this song other than the one played at the Mercury Lounge? Maybe the ending bit would be easier to understand then. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ From: "A Cultural Icon: BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:46:51 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: Flans bashing? Matt James Wrote: > I have a question. Why all the Flans bashing??!? > If some of you felt this way about him (that he's onot as good, > that he sucks, that he's fat and stupid and wants to just be > a rock star, whatever may be the case) why hasn't this come out > before? Why the sudden rush of bashing upon him? Yeah, what's wrong with being a rock star? I wanna be a rock star. Ike Wrote: > If you wish to assult me, fine, try private mail though. Ok I will! Well at least the release date discussion is finally cleared up. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:13:02 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Napolean huh? In james k. polk, what is Linnel saying he's Napolean of? The sea? The saw? The sky? I can't believe how blessed we all are to be able to hear this absolutely brilliant album via real audio. Three cheers for real audio. john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:12:25 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: I love TMBG more than vanilla bean ice cream Hey all! Sorry to be so dang annoying, but I suppose I classify as a "newbie". ( even though I did recognize the big blue dog album to be the pink album O;P ) but really... Okay, so I'm relatively new to this group, and TMBG for that matter, having only been exposed(and addicted) to Them since about '93, and although I own all the albums and the Kids soundtrack.. the only single I own is I Palindrome I.(which I haven't been all to thrilled with.) and I also am hoarding the Why? single from one of my friends. But! Considering that I live in Oklahoma (is anyone else on this list around here??!?) I think I'm doing pretty good.. BUT! does anyone know where I can locate more stuff? I wrote to the info. club about 1/2 a year ago, and haven't heard ANYTHING. Dial-A-Song is still always busy for me now.. What is this Dial-A-Song comp. that everyone is talking about?! Where can I get it?! huh huh huh?!?! Last thing.. I promise!!! At the Harding concert, I heard "Older" for the first time, and adored it! Is it on anything that I could remotely find??? Thanks for your time!! Heather P.S. Does anyone else get Mark Zipkin's e-tmbg e-mag that he puts out? If not, write him and ask for it! At.. ZippyKelp@AOL.com OR SpeldLITE@AOL.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:45:59 -0400 Subject: ::sigh:: just my 2 cents in this apparent Flans-bashing thang: Yes, I know, I admit it, I said Linnell is *hot*. But by saying that I didn't say Flans sucks. Hell, I love Flans too! Mono Puff's Unsupervised is my favourite cd of the moment. And hey! On the '95 HOB special, he's wearing my same exact sneakers!! How could I not love that?? (They're very unique sneakers I tell you). As soon as I hear They Might Be Giants, i think "accordian *and* guitar". So just because Linnell may be the more popular John, doesn't make Flansburgh any lower. sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Jesus fucking christ! That's rock and roll!" - John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: "A Cultural Icon: BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:50:31 EST Subject: Request Hey! Could someone send me a URL where I could find that cool gif file with boots that say TMBG on them. Much appreciated. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: MTVarmint@aol.com Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:40:59 -0400 Subject: Fwd: Re: Napolean huh? --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: Napolean huh? Date: 96-09-30 12:26:49 EDT From: MTVarmint To: einstein@oeonline.com In a message dated 9/30/96 4:23:10 PM, you wrote: <> I always thought he said "Napoleon of the South," but the version on FS sounds more like "... Stump" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: I love TMBG more than vanilla bean ice cream Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:45:12 -0500 (EST) > > Hey all! Sorry to be so dang annoying, but I suppose I classify as a > "newbie". > Well, newbies in general are NOT annoying - only *annoying* newbies are annoying! (The same rule holds for seasoned veterans, as well...) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:33:37 -0500 From: James Hall Subject: RealAudio FS At 12:13 PM 9/30/96 -0400, John Drauss wrote: >I can't believe how blessed we all are to be >able to hear this absolutely brilliant album via real audio. Neither can I - in fact, I think I slept through the URL for this! =) If somebody could be so kind as to refresh me, I'd be much obliged, I can't wait to hear it too =) Thanks, James ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Not So Short. Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:41:12 -0500 (EST) > > BTW, if Myke buys those demos from someone, I assume that part of the > agreement is that the guy getting the money won't trade them around to > anyone else (otherwise, why pay $250 for them?) Anyway, I'm not sure I feel > comfortable with Myke "stopping the flow" of something like that. Not an > attack on Myke at all, just my personal feelings on this situation. > > Since Myke's not here, I can speak freely for him and he can't do anything about it:-) But really, Myke has little or no power in these situations. If anything, the main part of the agreement is probably that Myke won't spread the tapes around or else the nice people he got them from will re-arrange his kneecaps. Which is a different situation than any demos he may have bought from someone for $250, but if you had a tape that was worth that much to people, you would still be the one writing the rules of the transaction, no? Let's not forget that the one who controls the commodity has the power, not the guy who desperately wants that commodity. So, Myke is not stopping any flows. Anyone motivated and knowledgeable enough to build the right connections could potentially do the same thing Myke did, although he had the benefit of some fortunate circumstances which have probably long since faded... m@t ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Jacksonville? Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:49:14 -0400 (EDT) Iwas anyone aware of TMBGF playing at the milkbar on Oct 5 in Jacksonvile, FL? Sorry for thebad typijg, I've had a few Honey Browns lately Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Napolean huh? Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 15:55:22 18000 It is STUMP. That's what he was called. Napolean of the Stump. As in when you got up on a tree stump to speak > > > --------------------- > Forwarded message: > Subj: Re: Napolean huh? > Date: 96-09-30 12:26:49 EDT > From: MTVarmint > To: einstein@oeonline.com > > > In a message dated 9/30/96 4:23:10 PM, you wrote: > > < The saw? The sky? >> > > I always thought he said "Napoleon of the South," but the version on FS > sounds more like "... Stump" > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 15:55 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Paul Simon and Them > >You know, I've been listening to Paul Simon's _Graceland_ a lot of late, >and suddenly it hit me- a lot of his songs have a They quality about >them. Or, I suppose I should say, a lot of Their songs have a Simon >quality about them. I've loved Paul Simon since I was a little kid, and I think you're right. Graceland especially has that awesome bouncy accordian-y feel to it. I dance the same way to Graceland as I do to TMBG. :) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:58:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Flans directing Soul Coughing? Ben or Been here. I just got two mailings from two bands: Soul Coughing and Squirrel Nut Zippers. In the Soul Coughing letter, it mentions that Mr. Flansburgh directed the video for the song "Soundtrack to Mary" which is for rotation on MTV's _120 Minutes_. I've never seen it, but then again, rarely do my eyes sweep across the tube at that hour on that day. As for Squirrel Nut Zippers: TMBG fans will probably *love* them! They have lots of horns, lots of old sounds that smooth together into their own brand of music, Hot Music. Anyway, I saw that they are going to play at Stache's in Columbus, OH, the day after my play gets out, the day after my birthday! Excitement!!! Definitely purchase _The Inevitable Squirrel Nut Zippers_. Local music from NC, USA, but distributed by Mammoth. Ilovetmbgtoo, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Jan 1980 14:17:41 -0800 From: kathleen jo faulconer Subject: introduction-new TMBG listers! Hi Everyone, We are brand new on this list. We have only seen 2 messages so far but I thought I would introduce us to whoever you are out there! We are probably the oldest and youngest folk familys on the list- Buck and Kathy (48 and 42 years) and our kids Daniel (17), Sarah(14), and Jacob(10). ALL of us love TMBG and listen to only Them when we are all together (no arguements!). My sister and brother are also big fans but they are in their 20's and I (Kathy,42 years) introduced them to TMBG!I will guess that most of you are in your teens and twenties (right?) so I wanted you to know that there are oldsters here that have loved Them for YEARS! Any others? We are all excited to find this list! Now we wont miss out on seeing Them when they come back to Southern California. It looks like we just missed Them here!:-( Were they on TV? Where and when? We saw Them several years ago at the Ventura Concert Theatre before the kids got really into Them. I would love to take them to a concert but They have never been back there. I can't blame Them because the acoustics were terrible! You had to strain to tell what song that was playing and this is a converted movie theater so it is SMALL! I guess They were just at the House of Blues but we missed it! Now when will They be back? Maybe someone can solve our little mystery! Years ago I saw Them on MTV It was a video of Why Does The Sun Shine? I told everyone about Them but we never saw it again! Later on when everyone was a fan we wondered where that video was-still have never heard of it again! Have you seen it? When did They do it? The cd came out years later it seems..... What do you know about the new album? Are there any videos available besides the first one? OK, enough questions......... Thanks in advance for any info! Kathy rocket88@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Not So Short. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 16:45:14 EDT On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:09:37 -0400 (EDT) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: >But I'd like to point out how you >sounded, because you *really* come off as an arrogant, smug little bastard >and it annoys me, among others. I realize I'm arrogant, not a bastard though, you can ask my mom. I will be the first to admit that I'm an ass, hence my former title.. >> No I'm just making a connection, Misc. T. does not fit the >>description I just made. I was referring to the Police's last album >>Every Breath You Take which was nothing more than a compilation with one >>new track. > >Yeah, but then you make the insinuation that doing such a thing is a sign of >a band's imminent demise/sucking. Why else make the Freaksickle reference? >If there's another point there (other than that SF signals the breakup of >TMBG) then I missed it. I _was_ saying that Freaksickle is a sign, as it is different from Misc. T. in that it is a compilation and will contain new tracks... I don't pretend to know what's going on with tmbg, I'm just making some observations and some connections. >> If you wish to assult me, fine, try private mail though. > >I overreacted. I'm sorry about that. So you still don't take it private? ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:43:10 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >>And anyway, comparing Pratchett's warm, gentle, sentimental humor to >>Adams' edgy, dark humor is like comparing...I dunno, like comparing >>Apollo 18 to JH or Lincoln. >"Warm, gentle, sentimental"? Whaaaaat? Well, warmer, gentler and more sentimental than Adams' anyway. Look at "Reaper Man" fer Gloria's sake! It's practically gushing happy warm love vibes! For the record, it's my favorite Pratchett book. Adams' humor is much more the "I'm depressed and I want everyone to know it" type humor. Except for "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" it was scary to seem him so happy. But he wrote "Mostly Harmless" and it was back to good ol' depressing Doug. >Anyways, please excuse me if this is a stupid question, what's this HAIL >ERIS thing? You can't possibly known this, but you've asked an extremely dangerous question. Simply put, Eris is the Goddess of Chaos and Discord. However, nothing about Eris is EVER that simple. If you type "Discordianism" into Yahoo, you'll get a good sampling of what I mean! HAIL ERIS! HAIL DISCORDIA! FNORD! - Dan --Another Captial N small y Big Fucking Q I love that Q don't you? small uil driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 22:42:24 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: Wahoo Alrighty, Today was my first day wearing the shirt (to school). And as I ask a fellow student what going on in the Macro class I'm about to skip he squints his eyes and looks at my shirt and says, "Wow, I've never met another fan of their's it's like 2% of the entire population that's even heard of them" Well, needless to say I was happy. The power of the T-shirt had proven itself. Of course most of my other conversations about the shirt could be summed up like this: What's that say? They Might Be Giants! Who's They? ANDREAS ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:34:25 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Not So Short. > I _was_ saying that Freaksickle is a sign, as it is different >from Misc. T. in that it is a compilation and will contain new tracks... I'm not sure what you're getting at here... Yes, Superfueled Freaksicle is a compilation of B-sides that will contain new songs. On the other hand, Miscellaneous T was a compilation of B-sides that contained new songs. Hmm. Is there a crucial difference I am missing? -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Wahoo Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:25:46 -2900 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Andreas Baeuchle: > Today was my first day wearing the shirt (to school). And as I ask a fellow >student what going on in the Macro class I'm about to skip he squints his eyes >and looks at my shirt and says, "Wow, I've never met another fan of their's >it's like 2% of the entire population that's even heard of them" Well, >needless to say I was happy. The power of the T-shirt had proven itself. Of I had a similar experience last Saturday at the movie theater in the Mall of America. The young woman working at the concession stand saw my shirt and asked if I knew They were playing on Halloween. Other TMBG: I'm thinking of putting the lyrics, as best I can hear them, for Factory Showroom (the promo disc) on a web page. Mostly so I can get everyone else to help me figure them out :) My three favs so far are Until My Head Falls Off, New York City, and The Bells are Ringing. Overall I'm fairly impressed with the album; it seems "truer" TMBG than John Henry, while keeping some of the benefits of a live band (e.g., more complicated basslines. Although none of the TMBG bassists have been able to handle Ana Ng at full speed, as far as I've seen :) ObCLOWSW: I'm having trouble deciding whether NYC is harmonized by another Flans or Linnell. At the moment I'm thinking the former is correct. P.S. to m@t: "me too" to something you said on here a couple days ago. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:13:35 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: New York City This is just a general annoucnement, making it clear to all those unaware that the song New York City is a cover. The band that wrote it is CUB, a Canadian female trio. Their style of music has been self classified as "Cuddle-Core". For anyone who hasn't heard it, I suggest you hear it. The band is still in existence, and the song NYC is only a couple of years old. I think it's odd that they covered it, but I'm not saying I don't love it. It's interesting to hear it with a full band as opposed to it's simpler original Bass, Drums, Guitar. the 3rd john ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Wht my modem (and all 14.4s) suck Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 20:33:58 -0500 The answer is easy , because realaudio factory showroom dosen't work and those people AHEM.. like.. wanna hear it. DID ANYONE RECORD IT AND IS WILLING TO DUB SOME COPIES? ok, this is probably old, but i wanted to post (many newbies havn't heard from me) because any mail i sent before was returned. _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:40:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: DAS question I heard some song and I can not figure out what it is. It is Linnell, accompanied by a keyboard...and there are the lines "someone is staring at me, someone is looking at me" or something like that...I listened a while ago, repeated a cpl of times in the song. I really liked it! Somebody help me figure it out! Josh josh@fyi.net EFnet #TMBG Page http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:03:20 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: Fretting Factory Showroom >Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:59:29 -0400 () >From: BlueDawg > > I've listened to a few of the songs, and can't say that I'm >very impressed. snip > Flansburgh seems to have the "I'm a big rockstar, look at me, I > know Frank Black" attitude. snip Wow! You can actually _hear_ Flansburgh's attitude? Say, you're good! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Jacksonville? From: downmind@juno.com (Amanda G Douberly) Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:56:13 EDT On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:49:14 -0400 (EDT) mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Iwas anyone aware of TMBGF playing at the milkbar on Oct 5 >in Jacksonvile, FL? Sorry for thebad typijg, I've had a few Honey >Browns lately yeah, they are also playing at the Alachua County Harvest Festival in Gainesville the night before. is anybody going to that show? I'm going to try to go to both, but the Milk Bar has kind of been sucking lately, so I'm not sure. but heck, to see Them, it'd be worth braving it... Amanda D. downmind@juno.com www.GeoCities.com/SunsetStrip/5578 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-268 ******************************