Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-269 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 269 Wednesday, 2 October 1996 Today's Topics: New Orleans anyone? Hello? Getting Old Stuff Re: EFnet IRC #TMBG tmbg-list FAQ NEW WEB SITE Re: NEW WEB SITE Re: Flansburg vs. Linnell shirts, questions... Oct 5 show in Jacksonville fs WDTSS? Re: Not so short. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 Re: Not so short. Re: Not so short. See The Constellation Re: See The Constellation alachua UK Release of FS Re: Not So Short. Panacea Subliminal Re: My incredible TMBG story (must read) DAS Re: DAS Thanks for PODAS!! Re: Oct 5 show in Jacksonville Re: Paul Simon and Them Re: Panacea New Single Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:14:09 -0500 From: a boy with a crown and a sceptre? Subject: New Orleans anyone? well, through a random string of occurrences it seems that me and a few friends of mine are going to somehow manage to go to see Them next monday in new orleans. not the wisest decision we've ever made since it's on a monday and we all have 2 days of classes that we'll most likely end up missing so that we can make the 8 hour drive from austin to new orleans and then the 8 hour drive back here, but that's ok... but in any case, i was wondering if there is anyone in the new orleans area out here in listland that could give me directions on how to get to the club/whereever it is they are playing at. we'll be coming in on i-10 and have no idea of how to get around the city, so any advice would be much appreciated. everyone who can should check out the real audio of the album on sonicnet. i did yesterday and now have taped it and listened to factory showroom about 10 times. THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE ALBUM. very very very good. long live persephone... paul. ------------------------------ Subject: Hello? From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:03:30 EDT Umm... I just got a really wierd message from Juno and I was wondering if you got my last two posts. Thanks. istanbul@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Getting Old Stuff From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:02:19 EDT Hey- My TMBG collection is pretty much complete except for a few major gaps. (Such as the Istanbul single) Where can I order old stuff like that? Or if anyone has it for sale, I'd be willing to talk. -Justin P.S. DO NOT GO TO SAM GOODY! IT IS THE CRAPPIEST RECORD STORE IN EXISTANCE! (But I don't really have much choice here in east Texas.) VIVA LA ANNAPOLIS MALL, WITH ITS 6 OR 7 RECORD STORES!!! +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: EFnet IRC #TMBG From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:02:19 EDT On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:03:54 -0400 (EDT) Josh writes: >Hi. I know many of you have visited EFnet IRC #TMBG. Well, in recent >months the bot (JohnHenry) had been on and off and it seems like less >and >less people have been visiting. I have recently put my bot, Lincoln, >onto >fyi.net's main server and he is on #TMBG full time. It is a great >place >to talk to fans of TMBG...There is also an Undernet #TMBG which many I joined one of the two networks the othernight and we were playing a game with TMBG lyrics. (I was SoulCough) Anyhoo, which network was this? Thanks. -Justin +++ I can't be wrong! I have a modem with Error Checking! +++ justin@tmbg.org jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com Go Speed Racer, Go!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Subject: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: NEW WEB SITE Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 07:15:05 -0400 (EDT) The new version of www.tmbg.org is now in place. I invite everyone to take a look at it. In particular I would like to recommend the page about the mailing list and news groups as there have been some additions. Please, if you find anything wrong with the site or notice something we omited drop us a note at web@tmbg.org. In particular I'd like to see the links area filled in again, we ended up removing a lot of broken links and looks a little bare now. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Re: NEW WEB SITE Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 07:01:25 -0500 > > The new version of www.tmbg.org is now in place. >I invite everyone to take a look at it. In particular I >would like to recommend the page about the mailing list >and news groups as there have been some additions. > > Please, if you find anything wrong with the site >or notice something we omited drop us a note at >web@tmbg.org. In particular I'd like to see the links >area filled in again, we ended up removing a lot of >broken links and looks a little bare now. > >-- >Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > System Administrator / Network Technician > bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org > This page rocks, thanks Leo, we love you. also from the links i could FINNALY connect to the newsgroup (the first and only one i have and ever will use!) but i still can't post messages - missing fcc file, gonna get it from my friend. _________________________________________________ / -WYATT GLODELL-WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM- \ |"Chinese people were fighting in the park we tried | |to help 'em fight no one appreciated that" -TMBG | \_________________________________________________/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 12:15:54 -0400 Subject: Re: Flansburg vs. Linnell NitpickR wrote: >>Brain Candy- Maybe someone can help me out on this one. Why wasn't the Tom Jones song included on the soundtrack?<< Hehe, the same reason "Funkytown" wasn't. It sucks. See, "Funkytown" had a longer duration in the movie than "Spiralling Shape", yet the better stuff makes it to the soundtrack. I have a feeling they got the songs they wanted for the soundtrack, and added them...oh I'm rambling again. Well I did mention "Spiralling Shape", so I'm not really off-topic. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "I saw a flower, down by the lake. I ate a bug, and dropped my cake. The drug, she no good! Do not take." - Dave Foley, in a scene CUT from Brain Candy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:22:10 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: shirts, questions... >Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 22:42:24 UT >From: "Andreas Baeuchle" >Subject: Wahoo > >Alrighty, > > Today was my first day wearing the shirt (to school). Of >course most of my other conversations about the shirt could be summed up like >this: > >What's that say? > >They Might Be Giants! > >Who's They? That's the only reaction I ever get. That, and "_Who_ might be giants?" And, since I have the WDTSS? shirt (purple happy guy from the cover of WDTSS? on the front, "They Might Be Giants" in enormous fluorescent green on the back), I also get a lot of: "Is that the Monopoly guy?" or even: "Is that the Bob's Big Boy icon?" *sigh* I'm not even getting a Moxy Fruvous shirt, just because I don't want to have to explain it to everyone. > > Maybe someone can solve our little mystery! Years ago I saw Them on MTV >It was a video of Why Does The Sun Shine? I told everyone about Them >but we never saw it again! Later on when everyone was a fan we wondered >where that video was-still have never heard of it again! Have you seen >it? When did They do it? The cd came out years later it seems..... > What do you know about the new album? Are there any videos available >besides the first one? OK, enough questions......... > >Thanks in advance for any info! >Kathy >rocket88@ix.netcom.com Hail to all the new listers! And welcome to our quest to discover all things They! There's a WDTSS? video? Coolness! I dunno about it being _years_ ago, though; the single was released between A18 and JH. (Somebody back me up on this.) If your quest for knowledge truly knows no bounds, check out the extremely extensive discography. I don't remember the exact URL, but there's a link to it from the unofficial page (http://www.tmbg.org). The new album, Factory Showroom, will be out Oct.8 (one week and counting!) love, happiness, TMBG, nicole the wonder nerd *** "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." --James Thurber A! JW2 YK+ DT+ WK+++ GDF-- SL++^i P Dp $++ T178 A19 F ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:03:31 +0000 Subject: Oct 5 show in Jacksonville Anyone have any info about the Milkbar where They are playing on 10/5? Is it a club, a theatre or what? Any info would be appreciated! =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: fs Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:39:47 -0400 (EDT) well I called HMV and it is showing up on their computer as coming in today. unfortunately, they say it is in the boxes that haven't been opened yet and they said to call back this evening when they go thru all of them. I won't be anywhere near the place when that happens so I will have to wait until tomorrow. If anyone wants to call HMV in Washington, the number is 202-333-9292 and harass them about it 8-) And if you do happen to get them to get it out please email me. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: WDTSS? Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:46:01 -0400 (EDT) > *sigh* I'm not even getting a Moxy Fruvous shirt, just because I don't want > to have to explain it to everyone. I don't think I've seen a Moxy shirt, I'll have to look on Oct 10 when they play here. > There's a WDTSS? video? Coolness! I dunno about it being _years_ ago, That is cool! > though; the single was released between A18 and JH. (Somebody back me up on > this.) If your quest for knowledge truly knows no bounds, check out the > extremely extensive discography. I don't remember the exact URL, but > there's a link to it from the unofficial page (http://www.tmbg.org). Yes, trhe single was released in 1993 for WDTSS? but this song has been in the John's setlist for a good 9 years now at least. There are some '87 boots out there where they play WDTSS? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:50:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Not so short. Ruprecht: > I _was_ saying that Freaksickle is a sign, as it is different >from Misc. T. in that it is a compilation and will contain new tracks... >I don't pretend to know what's going on with tmbg, I'm just making some >observations and some connections. So you're saying that a compilation with new tracks is a bad sign, but one with no new tracks is completely alright? That's rediculous. (Don't give me any sort of "Misc T isn't a compilation" crap, because that's 100% false...Misc T is a *compilation* album of 100% already released material.) So, in short, I still don't see your point. >>> If you wish to assult me, fine, try private mail though. >> >>I overreacted. I'm sorry about that. > > So you still don't take it private? The debate we were having (or, the debate that I'm attempting to have and you are deflecting with your caustic wit) was to do with TMBG. If I want to assault you, I'll e-mail you. I apologized for publicly flaming you like that, but I still have a point to make, and I'm going to make it here. And John Chaeffer leapt to my defense: >I'm not sure what you're getting at here... Yes, Superfueled Freaksicle is >a compilation of B-sides that will contain new songs. On the other hand, >Miscellaneous T was a compilation of B-sides that contained new songs. Hmm. >Is there a crucial difference I am missing? Did Misc T actually contain new songs? Hello Radio wasn't widely available (having only appeared on the "Lincoln Sampler") but I believe everything on there was previously released. Oh well, Ruprecht's still wrong. :) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 16:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-267 >Adams' humor is much more the "I'm depressed and I want everyone to know it" >type humor. Except for "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" it was scary to >seem him so happy. But he wrote "Mostly Harmless" and it was back to good ol' >depressing Doug. Hmmm... Perhaps this is why _So Long_ is my least favorite of the entire series. Except for the flying parts. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Not so short. Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:26:15 -0500 (EST) > > So you're saying that a compilation with new tracks is a bad sign, but one > with no new tracks is completely alright? That's rediculous. (Don't give me > any sort of "Misc T isn't a compilation" crap, because that's 100% > false...Misc T is a *compilation* album of 100% already released material.) > So, in short, I still don't see your point. > I hate to get caught up in whatever it is you guys are trying to discuss, but I think Ruprecht was pointing to "best of"-type albums which include a new track or two to force fans to buy a record which otherwise consists completely of material they already own (e.g., The Best of the Police's Greatest Hits Collection Anthology or whatever it was called, with the lame "Don't Stand So Close To Me 1987" or whatever it was called thrown in as an enticement to separate loyal fans from their money.) This is surely a sign of pure evil. The boxed set verges on this if it will be the ONLY way to get the unreleased tracks (by forcing us to also buy three additional albums we already own). If they make those tracks available elsewhere, that will be another matter. Regardless, SF looks to be a different case. Here they're using it as a vehicle to circulate b-sides (cf. Misc. T) and also a chance to release some of those fine songs which didn't make it onto FS (due to other decisions that some people find debatable). Making it into a double CD (as the rumour goes) and including perhaps half an album's worth of new material sounds like an excellent idea to me, and I would have no complaints about it. In short, it doesn't sound at the moment as though SF is slated to be a pathetic ripoff, so conspiracy theorists should just relax:-) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 16:56:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: Not so short. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Oct-96 Re: Not so short. by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > In short, it doesn't sound at the moment as though SF is slated to > be a pathetic ripoff, so conspiracy theorists should just relax:-) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is like telling rocks to jump up and conga. :) I'd have to agree with the rest of it, though. I don't think SF is just a maney-making scheme because many people who are fans of TMBG, but aren't quite as fanatic as some of us don't havve most or many of the singles. I'd say SF is mostly to get some of the more recent non-album releases together in a more available release. Probably. -- :) Christian Wedge (Zathyr+@cmu.edu) http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck? I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 18:26:46 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: See The Constellation People were talking a while ago about the song at the end of see the constellation... Well, I recorded it and incresed the volume in a wav file... Does anyone want me to post it somewhere? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 16:38:54 -0700 (PDT) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: See The Constellation please post this .wav as i am collecting .wavs midi's and avi's.. (\__/) (o o) ----------.o0O--(__)--O0o.--------- | grefin@cyberhighway.net -><-| ----------------------------------- | | HAIL ERIS!! / /\ |_/\/ \ \ \ \ (_) (_) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 05:11:07 PST Subject: alachua From: kalton@juno.com (kenneth a herniman) yeah we(he and i) are going to alachua. its going to be preety cool -ken ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:17:36 +0100 From: Joe Keith Subject: UK Release of FS I know - everyone's pretty pissed with this subject, and as it's UK specific, it has its own URL: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/tmbg/fs.html Joe ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Not So Short. From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 19:01:04 EDT On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:34:25 -0400 jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) writes: >> I _was_ saying that Freaksickle is a sign, as it is different >>from Misc. T. in that it is a compilation and will contain new tracks... > >I'm not sure what you're getting at here... Yes, Superfueled Freaksicle is >a compilation of B-sides that will contain new songs. On the other hand, >Miscellaneous T was a compilation of B-sides that contained new songs. Hmm. >Is there a crucial difference I am missing? What? What are the _new_ tracks on Misc T? Hadn't all of those tracks been from previously released singles? Or at the very least, they had all been recorded long, long before the release of Misc T. (released 1991 [U.S.] and they went to Elektra some time between [late] 1988-1990)... I can't remember my exact point at the time other than that that was something the Police had done just before they broke up... Misc T. was just something put out by their previous record company to feed off their success and had little else to do with the band's status at the time... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 20:48:28 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Panacea I just figured out why the panacea/fantasy line in Avalanche or Roadblock is omitted... If I am right, and I am never right (well, just ask certain people I know), it is for the same reason that there are no words put down for AKA Driver and why it is called "AKA" Driver... That line also contains the word "Xerox" which is copyrighted and subsequently a product name... Hey Xerox Driver, it's Xerox Driving time! .sig ------------------------------ Subject: Subliminal From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 20:22:16 EDT I sat down and figured out the cords for Subliminal. For the Verses, A and then to D. With the choruses beginning Bm and them to E, switching back to A-D for the repeat. Could someone verify if these are the right cords? Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: My incredible TMBG story (must read) Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 20:58:35 -0500 (EST) > They brought out the Puppet heads for Exquisite Dead Guy, and > these are two very tall mic stand with these little heads on the top, > both different. John and John stand next to the heads (which have very > tall microphones placed before their puppet mouths) and pull little > strings which make the mouths open and close. It seems that the vocal > track is pretaped but the band plays live, cause John and John were not > actually performing the vocals live and this was obvious. However the > effect is very strange and entertaining, and at a certain point they both > struck an identical mock-pensive pose which reminded me of their earlier > days and this I enjoyed. They seemed to like playing together that night, > and the energy was infectious. > Oh, wow! That's really cool, and way retro: They used to do something very much like this aeons ago, except I think it was only one head, and the string was rigged to go under Linnell's keyboard (but I may have the details all muddled in my head...). The point is that it is a cool reappearance. Next thing you know, they'll be dragging out he rolled-up carpets and The Stick (well, alright, probably not...) m@t ------------------------------ From: S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:44:49 -0400 (EDT) Subject: DAS HI ALL, I just got of DAS for the first time (well it was the first time I got on). Anyway, they played a song that I have never heard befor. It kept repeating the line "Mainstream U.S.A." It was pretty hard to hear over the phone, but it didn't really sound like the Johns singing, more like some other guy. The line also might have been "Mainstreet U.S.A" but I don't think so. Anyone able to Identify that song and where it came from? SJL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 23:29:36 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: DAS On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 S0003483@VAX.NIAGARA.EDU wrote: > HI ALL, > > I just got of DAS for the first time (well it was the first time I got > on). Anyway, they played a song that I have never heard befor. It kept > repeating the line "Mainstream U.S.A." It was pretty hard to hear over the > phone, but it didn't really sound like the Johns singing, more like some > other guy. The line also might have been "Mainstreet U.S.A" but I don't > think so. Anyone able to Identify that song and where it came from? > SJL > It is called Mainstream USA and it is the Johns. "Mainstream USA, I flipped that guy the bird, Mainstream USA is all I wanna say!" I love it. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:31:43 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Thanks for PODAS!! I wanted to thank everyone for responding to my plea for PODAS. I've waited for so loooong... :). I've selected the lucky person who gets to copy it for me (tee hee!) and thanks to everyone else who offered! Seven days till Factory Showroom! (Or so they let us think!) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theatre of smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Dr. Kildare!" -Monopuff, "Dr. Kildare" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Oct 5 show in Jacksonville From: downmind@juno.com (Amanda G Douberly) Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 22:09:00 EDT On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:03:31 +0000 "David K. Lapides" writes: >Anyone have any info about the Milkbar where They are playing on >10/5? Is it a club, a theatre or what? the Milk Bar is a club in downtown Jacksonville, not a huge one, but not very small. I'd say about medium. It probably holds about 400 people (but I suck at estimation, so I could be wrong.) It's on Adams street and is very easy to find, since it's the only thing you ever see people entering and leaving on that block. There is never anywhere to park, so be prepared to walk a few blocks to the club/be hit up for money by homeless people in the process. Amanda D. downmind@juno.com www.GeoCities.com/SunsetStrip/5578 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:44:13 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Paul Simon and Them On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > I've loved Paul Simon since I was a little kid, and I think you're > right. Graceland especially has that awesome bouncy accordian-y feel to > it. I dance the same way to Graceland as I do to TMBG. :) > > > Yeah, I just realixed what song really makes me think of Them- the beginning of The Boy in the Bubble. The accordian really makes me think of Them, and I almost expect to hear Linnell or Flansy. I didn't realise, however, how recent Graceland is. I thought it came out in the seventies, and was surprised to find out it was only '86. I haven't listend to the album with the Obvious Child on it, I wonder if it is much of the same. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theatre of smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Dr. Kildare!" -Monopuff, "Dr. Kildare" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:51:33 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Panacea On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Ruprecht wrote: > I just figured out why the panacea/fantasy line in Avalanche or > Roadblock is omitted... If I am right, and I am never right (well, just > ask certain people I know), it is for the same reason that there are no > words put down for AKA Driver and why it is called "AKA" Driver... That > line also contains the word "Xerox" which is copyrighted and subsequently > a product name... Hey Xerox Driver, it's Xerox Driving time! > > Ok, I understand the part about the line from Avalanche being omitted, but what are you talking about with AKA Driver? Xerox isn't contained in that song. Oh...wait a minute...I forgot about the "nyquil" part. Ok, I see what you mean. But if you think about it, wouldn't they have to get permission to sing about it as well- both Xerox and Nyquil? I mean, regardless of Them writing it down or publishing it, wouldn't who ever penned the lyrics still have to get permission to use those registered trademarks? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theatre of smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Dr. Kildare!" -Monopuff, "Dr. Kildare" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:02:52 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: New Single On the official tmbg.com web site it says there was a single supposedly released on the 24th of September. Does anyone know if it was released, what it is, and where I can get it? Please respond through direct e-mail since I am not subscribed to the list at the moment. Thanks...And BTW could someone please send me the info on how to re-subscribe to the digest. Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "Never try and teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig." - Mark Twain ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-269 ******************************