Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-270 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 270 Thursday, 3 October 1996 Today's Topics: Nyquil driver 'TSR update and ARRRRGGGGH!!!!! Re: Subliminal Chords Re: Panacea My home page Re: Nyquil driver Re: Nyquil driver Alachua, MIlkbar Local station jargen Singles on the web site. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-269 RE: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT TMBG on Larry Sanders Re: Not So Short. A coupla responses Toledo Show Re: TMBG on Larry Sanders (?!)flans vs. linnell(!?) i cant tell you why... hi they lied! Larry Sanders Re: Nyquil driver payphones "Hello, hello, its good to back, its good to be back." nc question Re: Nyquil driver Re: Panacea stuff Bass Tabs Re: Nyquil driver Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-269 AKA Nyqil First time. Re: Panacea Ringing of bells interp. goodomenz? orders of albums Re: orders of albums Bootlegs? Florida shows Review Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 02:38:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Nyquil driver I just thought it was interesting that on TMBG set lists, they abbreviate AKA Driver to read "Nyquil". Like, they have abbreviations such as Ensor, Sun, Worst, Sing, Polk, Istan, No One, etc...and they choose to use the word Nyquil to denote AKA Driver instead of the word AKA or even the word Driver. Now, in a concert scenario the word AKA might look a lot like ANA, which is the abbreviation for Ana Ng, but I think there is certainly another reason why they choose to call the song Nyquil Driver instead of caving to the AKA which I perceive anyway to be an expression of not-so-thinly veiled contempt...just another way to fight the power, I guess. I have a feeling this was a totally useless post. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 02:52:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: 'TSR update and ARRRRGGGGH!!!!! Hi all. I played "Mrs. Train" on my show this past Monday. Note to Jon and Leo: If you can revamp the TMBG page, can you rework my TMBG on WTSR page? Time to relink everything! Yeesh..... Later, Craig whyte@tcnj.edu whyte@tmbg.org pudge@tmbg.org (Coming soon, I hope) http://www.tcnj.edu/~whyte/tmbgonwtsr <-- back up later today ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 00:50:21 -0800 From: Adam Kline Subject: Re: Subliminal Chords >I sat down and figured out the cords for Subliminal. For the Verses, A >and then to D. With the choruses beginning Bm and them to E, switching >back to A-D for the repeat. Could someone verify if these are the right >cords? My band covered Subliminal at an AIDS benefit show a while back. I'll ask our accordion player and get back to you on those chords. Adam --------------------- Adam Kline - batura@nccn.net --------------------- | The Beatles - They Might Be Giants - Paul Simon - Ben Folds Five | | Elvis Costello - The Ziggens - Violent Femmes - Freedy Johnston | | Yah-Yah Littleman - Cake - The Amish Ninja - Beck - Tom Petty | | Sublime - Frente! - The Muppets - Badical Turbo Radness - the Rutles | ----------- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4233/ ------------ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Panacea From: superuprecht@juno.com (Ike L. Ruprecht) Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 02:03:07 EDT On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:51:33 -0500 (EST) Queen Sneepy writes: >On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Ruprecht wrote: >> I just figured out why the panacea/fantasy line in Avalanche or >> Roadblock is omitted... If I am right, and I am never right (well, just >> ask certain people I know), it is for the same reason that there are no >> words put down for AKA Driver and why it is called "AKA" Driver... That >> line also contains the word "Xerox" which is copyrighted and subsequently >> a product name... Hey Xerox Driver, it's Xerox Driving time! >> >Ok, I understand the part about the line from Avalanche being omitted, >but what are you talking about with AKA Driver? Xerox isn't contained in >that song. Oh...wait a minute...I forgot about the "nyquil" part. Ok, I >see what you mean. But if you think about it, wouldn't they have to get >permission to sing about it as well- both Xerox and Nyquil? I mean, >regardless of Them writing it down or publishing it, wouldn't who ever >penned the lyrics still have to get permission to use those registered >trademarks? As the story goes, you can say whatever you want about a product in a song or verse or whatever, but you cannot actually print it... It has something to do with the product name selling the product and therefor the company could get a lot of money by suing Elektra (or Bar/None) for copyright infringement saying that the name NyQuil (or Xerox, as the case may be) was played a role in the selling of their product (JH or Lincoln)... Or at least that's the way I heard it... Is the bit about NyQuil in the FAQ yet? (non-sarcastic tone) I guess I wasn't paying attention... =========================a spooky man named Ike========================= The Web: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ The E-mail: Ruprecht@tmbg.org The Annoying Quote: "Madness is all in the mind" =================I wish that I could jump out of my .sig================ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 07:45:41 -0700 From: Green Jello Subject: My home page anyone who has a tmbg related spot on their homepage... please send me the url... i'm collecting tmbg (your whole site does not necessarily have to be "an unofficial tmbg site") links. please send all url's to mailto:greenjello@tmbg.org not to the mailing list! check out my homepage and if you want, send feedback with your mail -- Green Jello "Hammer down, rabbit ears!" - "Rabid Child" TMBG http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:46:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Nyquil driver Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Oct-96 Nyquil driver by Mike Rose@yucc.yorku.ca > I just thought it was interesting that on TMBG set lists, they > abbreviate AKA Driver to read "Nyquil". Like, they have abbreviations > such as Ensor, Sun, Worst, Sing, Polk, Istan, No One, etc...and they > choose to use the word Nyquil to denote AKA Driver instead of the word AKA > or even the word Driver. Now, in a concert scenario the word AKA might > look a lot like ANA, which is the abbreviation for Ana Ng, but I think > there is certainly another reason why they choose to call the song Nyquil > Driver instead of caving to the AKA which I perceive anyway to be an > expression of not-so-thinly veiled contempt...just another way to fight > the power, I guess. > I have a feeling this was a totally useless post. That's because the song is called NyQuil Driver and not AKA Driver. It's listed that way on John Henry because they thought there'd be a copyright problem with printing the word NyQuil. ------------------------------ From: "A Cultural Icon: BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:47:17 EST Subject: Re: Nyquil driver Mean Mikey Rose wrote: > I just thought it was interesting that on TMBG set lists, they > abbreviate AKA Driver to read "Nyquil". Like, they have abbreviations > such as Ensor, Sun, Worst, Sing, Polk, Istan, No One, etc...and they > choose to use the word Nyquil to denote AKA Driver instead of the word AKA > or even the word Driver. Now, in a concert scenario the word AKA might > look a lot like ANA, which is the abbreviation for Ana Ng, but I think > there is certainly another reason why they choose to call the song Nyquil > Driver instead of caving to the AKA which I perceive anyway to be an > expression of not-so-thinly veiled contempt...just another way to fight > the power, I guess. > I have a feeling this was a totally useless post. Not really. I think that They wrote Nyquil Driver as that. They had every intention of calling it that until someone at Elektra said "Hey, you're going to have to change that. So, to write Nyquil on the setlist is just what They would think to do because in Their mind that is what the song is, Nyquil Driver. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Alachua, MIlkbar Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 8:51:52 18000 Well, I'm going to the Alchua County Music Festival performance and the Jacksonville show at The Milkbar. As long as we can find either of the places, that is! Anyone got any more specific direction information, and if anyone is going to be there, would you like to meet beforehand or no? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:30:25 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Local station jargen Just thought this would be a nice way to actually post something here... I was walking around the University of Toledo like every average person does here on occasion when I noticed many little booths. Some activities fair was going on, but that's not important, when I heard something I've heard before, but it was different. I had to get closer to the sound before I could be sure that what I heard was what I thought it was...It was "The Guitar" but with a funky rythm to it. I'm guessing it's from the "Guitar" single, but since I don't have it I really wouldn't know. Could anyone tell me if this is correct, and if so, is the cd still availible? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Singles on the web site. Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:34:35 -0400 (EDT) So far I've gotten many inquires as to why some of the singles and DAS songs are not on the new web site. Never fear, they will be back. We still have them all and just need to get them properly index. Hopefully we can get them up over this weekend. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 10:07:59 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (John Galt) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-269 >long live persephone... Persepone rocks my universe. >I joined one of the two networks the othernight and we were playing a >game with TMBG lyrics. (I was SoulCough) Anyhoo, which network was >this? Thanks. That would have been #tmbg on undernet. I think I remember you...I was tenman. Oh, has anyone heard of any news concerning the release date of Superfueled Freaksickle? It seems that it's been mentioned more and more frequently recently. Nathan, who is still patiently awaiting Factory Showroom & the counting crows' 2nd disc, Recovering the Satellites. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 7:40am From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: B-Sides, SF vs. the Box Set, & OAT So, when will the box set be available? Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 09:19:41 MDT Subject: TMBG on Larry Sanders Hello! Did anybody tape this appearance. I'm working on the TMBG Video Bootleg, Vol. 2, but I don't have cable. If you have it, would you consider making a trade? ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:02:02 -0400 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Not So Short. > What? What are the _new_ tracks on Misc T? Hadn't all of those >tracks been from previously released singles? Or at the very least, they No. Witness: From the "They'll Need a Crane" single: 1'57 Nightgown of the Sullen Moon 2'34 I'll Sink Manhattan [3] 1'50 It's Not My Birthday From the "Lincoln" sampler: 0'55 Hello Radio From the "Hotel Detective" single: 1'18 Mr. Klaw 1'48 Kiss Me, Son of God (alternate version) 1'20 The Biggest One 1'17 For Science [1] 2'31 [untitled] 2'19 (She Was A) Hotel Detective (single mix) [2] From the "Don't Let's Start" single: 1'31 The Famous Polka 1'31 When It Rains It Snows 1'50 We're the Replacements 2'34 Don't Let's Start (single mix) From the "Mr. DJ" single (note: released in promotion of Misc. T): 3'48 Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal Previously Unreleased: 1'19 Lady is a Tramp 1'23 Birds Fly 5'42 The World's Address (Joshua Fried re-mix) All info from John Relph's FAQ. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ Funny quote deferred to "finger" My computer (finger, ftp, gopher, http, whois): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:15:27 -0400 Subject: A coupla responses In a message dated 96-09-30 04:58:15 EDT, you write: >> I know that on at least some payphones if you have a long thin >> piece of wire you can jimmy it around in the receiver and eventually >> it will allow you to make a free phone call. I haven't done this in a >> long time though. >> Matt > Sorry....I know you guys think I'm a jerk, but I'm gonna continue anyway...What about those really ugly phones that look pregnant? You know the kind.....the ones that look like a regular phone with a coin slot on the top? Well, on those you do put the quarter in after the person picks up (either that, or you hit the "talk" button) to begin the conversation. Would it work on those??? Hmmm.... > Um, I used to know how to steal newspapers from boxes by smashing >the door real hard just under the lock while pulling the handle. I did >that once to get something to cover my head while it was raining. On those, the latch is controlled by gravity, so on some of them, if you simply lean it back, and pull on the door they'll open.....I think. >stole a candy bar from a shop at a local theme park. I ripped off an >MST3K poster from a rep theatre last month. Sometimes when I'm in a >supermarket I eat food from the bulk bins. I sometimes switch price tags >in record stores. I cut the legs off the periodic table. I've done a lot >of very bad things, and I'm sorry. King Missile???? >In the Soul Coughing letter, it mentions that Mr. Flansburgh directed the >video for the song "Soundtrack to Mary" which is for rotation on MTV's >_120 Minutes_. I've never seen it, but then again, rarely do my eyes >sweep across the tube at that hour on that day. A section of the video is available on The 5% Nation the address is...... http://www.wbr.com/soulcoughing and for anyone interested SC web page is http://www.soulcoughing.com BTW, I may be wrong, but didn't he also direct "Screenwriter's Blues"? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:23:14 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Toledo Show Alrighty boys and girls...here's the lowdown on the Oct 20th show in Toledo. THEY are opening for Hootie (as you all know). The show starts at 8pm and tickets are $24.50 (because of Hootie I'm sure!). You can call Savage Hall for tickets @ (419) 530-4231. "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 11:35:33 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG on Larry Sanders I don't have the Larry Sanders thing.. I don't think it's been played yet. I do have them on FX Breakfast Time from when they were releasing JH, but you prob. do too, so it's so incredibly pointless. sorry! heather ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:14:32 -0400 Subject: (?!)flans vs. linnell(!?) i cant tell you why... ack! i'll confess..i havent even read a word of this debate yet but just from seeing the subject it sounds like the same sort of evil words that were had over on the ng. oh well.. maybe i'll read it later and be proved happily wrong and u can all send me mean notes! but at least this one conjured up an interesting mental picture.... "and in this corner, with his sub-uzi mel-o-tronic accordian, JOHN LINNELL.. and in the other corner with (i dunno, maybe that funky statue got me high guitar) JOHN FLANSBURGH!! one time only, 5 rounds, no mercy...only *1* will survive..." *sigh* ok.. i'm done now.. ill go peacefully ~liz with entirely too much spare time on her hands ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:19:37 -0500 From: ageerl@artic.edu (amy beth geerling) Subject: hi hello ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: they lied! Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:40:45 -0400 (EDT) Well, surprise, surprise, HMV lied about it coming out this weekend (FS). They seemed to be pretty sure they'd have it but no, "it's been put off until next Tuesday" blah -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Larry Sanders Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:42:07 -0400 (EDT) Larry Sanders is not showing on HBO yert. I hvae looked in the cable guide and it is not listeed anywhere. This must have been taped for when the show does start up (whenever that is). I do have HBO so whne it comes on I plan on taping it. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:45:29 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Re: Nyquil driver On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Oct-96 Nyquil driver by Mike > Rose@yucc.yorku.ca > > I just thought it was interesting that on TMBG set lists, they > > abbreviate AKA Driver to read "Nyquil". Like, they have abbreviations > > such as Ensor, Sun, Worst, Sing, Polk, Istan, No One, etc...and they > > choose to use the word Nyquil to denote AKA Driver instead of the word AKA > > or even the word Driver. Now, in a concert scenario the word AKA might > > look a lot like ANA, which is the abbreviation for Ana Ng, but I think > > there is certainly another reason why they choose to call the song Nyquil > > Driver instead of caving to the AKA which I perceive anyway to be an > > expression of not-so-thinly veiled contempt...just another way to fight > > the power, I guess. > > I have a feeling this was a totally useless post. > > That's because the song is called NyQuil Driver and not AKA Driver. > It's listed that way on John Henry because they thought there'd be a > copyright problem with printing the word NyQuil. > Oh yes I know, of course, I was referring to this in the context of TMBG having capitulated to a legal ruling and in what ways they responded to the rather idiotic necessity to replace Nyquil with AKA. I guess any message written so late at night is gonna lack a few important clues as to the breadth of knowledge of the writer. Mike. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: payphones Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:46:18 -0400 (EDT) > In a message dated 96-09-30 04:58:15 EDT, you write: > > >> I know that on at least some payphones if you have a long thin > >> piece of wire you can jimmy it around in the receiver and eventually > >> it will allow you to make a free phone call. I haven't done this in a > >> long time though. > >> Matt > > > Sorry....I know you guys think I'm a jerk, but I'm gonna continue > anyway...What about those really ugly phones that look pregnant? You know > the kind.....the ones that look like a regular phone with a coin slot on the > top? Well, on those you do put the quarter in after the person picks up > (either that, or you hit the "talk" button) to begin the conversation. Would > it work on those??? Hmmm.... Yes, I saw one of these4 in fact a few days ago at a storage facility. It's a big phone and it has a talk button on it. When you want to talk you hit the talk button. I assume it'll just spit your quarter back out if you don't talk. I don't often see them though. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 12:59:31 -0500 From: Icarus Subject: "Hello, hello, its good to back, its good to be back." So nice to be back the list after summer. Question, does anyone have any Bass tab to some TMBG songs? I found Spy, and Why must I Be Sad on the 'net, and I figured out the Guitar and Lie Still Little Bottle(I think) But I am a beginner and I am having a tough time figuring out other stuff. Sooooo if anyone has any bass stuff could you tell me? thanks. "You cant shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 00:59:44 PST Subject: nc question From: kalton@juno.com (kenneth a herniman) im asking this question for a friend of mine. she lives in Westrn north carolina, well anyway she was going to come down here(florida) to see TMBG with me atthe music festival this weekend but that didnt work out. well the point is that she is a big fan like mysself and there isnt really any substantial information on incoming tours and whatnot where she live so i was wondering if anyone knew if TMBG was going to be anywear near NC/GA/TN area anytime soon. -kenny "you see you dont know why the squirll | and for Lauren...--> ' Awwww yeaaah... gonna' get stores seeds for the winter, well ssomeday | me sum puddin' ill tell you that and then you'll know phisics." | -mr.rosette | ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 14:28:39 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Nyquil driver >I think that They wrote Nyquil Driver as that. They had every >intention of calling it that until someone at Elektra said "Hey, >you're going to have to change that. So, to write Nyquil on the >setlist is just what They would think to do because in Their mind >that is what the song is, Nyquil Driver. > >Boba Out. >-Matthew Ondrey But they had already omitted the Xerox part from Snowball in Hell, back on Lincoln... So they had probably already figured out that they couldn't print copyrighted stuff. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot . <-- http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." -Another Satisfied Customer ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Panacea Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:43:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ike L. Ruprecht: > As the story goes, you can say whatever you want about a product >in a song or verse or whatever, but you cannot actually print it... It According to Linnell, you can sing and print it all you like in a song, but you can't use it in the TITLE of the song. I'd imagine if they printed it, however, they would have to put the tm's after NyQuil, and include the stddisclaimer at the bottom "NyQuil is a registered trademark of so-and-so Corp." Maybe they wanted to avoid all that clutter. obBTW: We're dealing with issues of trademarks, not copyrights, here. VERRRRRY different subjects. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:13:24 +0500 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: stuff >> >> I've loved Paul Simon since I was a little kid, and I think you're >> right. Graceland especially has that awesome bouncy accordian-y feel to >> it. I dance the same way to Graceland as I do to TMBG. :) >> >> >> >Yeah, I just realixed what song really makes me think of Them- the >beginning of The Boy in the Bubble. The accordian really makes me think >of Them, and I almost expect to hear Linnell or Flansy. I didn't >realise, however, how recent Graceland is. I thought it came out in the >seventies, and was surprised to find out it was only '86. I haven't >listend to the album with the Obvious Child on it, I wonder if it is much >of the same. Paul Simon is GREAT! I'll tell you why you think this way... Listen to the very beginning of The Boy in the Bubble and then listen to the very beginning of Subliminal and see what happens. :) A friend pointed this out to me once.... Hey, there's been a lot of talk about Superfuled Freakcycle again... Does that mean it's coming out on the 8th with Factory Showroom??????? Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:12:00 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: Bass Tabs >Icarus wrote: >So nice to be back the list after summer. Question, does anyone have any >Bass tab to some TMBG songs? I found Spy, and Why must I Be Sad on the >'net, and I figured out the Guitar and Lie Still Little Bottle(I think) But >I am a beginner and I am having a tough time figuring out other stuff. >Sooooo if anyone has any bass stuff could you tell me? thanks. I too am a beginner with this instrument...I'd be interested in this! "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 5:) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Nyquil driver Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:09:34 -0500 (EST) Evan Chakroff writes: > > But they had already omitted the Xerox part from Snowball in Hell, back on > Lincoln... So they had probably already figured out that they couldn't > print copyrighted stuff. > -- > No, they had not figured it out yet because, as noted, AKA Driver was indeed called Nyquil Driver before they realized that they should not use a trademark in the title of a song. The lyrics were probably omitted from "Snowball" because Flans made up the lyric sheet during some "free time" while working at his day job... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 16:31:13 -0400 From: SENTINEL Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-269 -Ok, I understand the part about the line from Avalanche being omitted, -but what are you talking about with AKA Driver? Xerox isn't contained -in -that song. Oh...wait a minute...I forgot about the "nyquil" part. Ok, -I see what you mean. But if you think about it, wouldn't they have to -get -permission to sing about it as well- both Xerox and Nyquil? I mean, -regardless of Them writing it down or publishing it, wouldn't who ever -penned the lyrics still have to get permission to use those registered -trademarks? No. This is one I KNOW I know. You do NOT have to get copyright permission to say something that is copyrighted on an album, however, you DO have to get copyright permission to put a copyrighted name in print (if you are selling the thing that the name is printed on). That is why AKA Driver is not called NyQuil Driver (and the lyrics aren't printed), because They were afraid of copyright infringement. Snowball in Hell appears to have a similar reason: The panacea line contains the word Xerox, so they didn't print it. Sensurround ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 17:43:03 +0000 Subject: AKA Nyqil I think a few of you are confused about the difference between copyrights and trademarks. Materials that people copyright are artistic creations such as books, songs and images. This is done so that no one else can pass off the work as their own (and derive a profit without compensating the original creator) Trademarks are symbols (logos) that represent a company, product or service. Or they can be "made up" words i.e. "Big Mac" "Xerox" (also the name of the company) and "Nyquil" etc. These trademarks are *registered* with the government to prevent other companies from taking advantage of the work done (expenses incurred) in promoting a product/service. For example, Burger King has registered (not copyrighted) the term Chicken Tenders. It is threatening to take legal action against any restaurant or food manufacturer who uses this term. So... whichever drug company that makes Nyquil (I think its Parke-Davis) could argue that people are buying JH because it has something to do with Nyquil. More probably, they would be *very* unhappy to have driving associated with their medicine that puts you to sleep (even though the song is great and makes *us* happy) In summary, a trademark is used by a business to protect a name or symbol that represents a product or service. A copyright filed to declare authorship of a piece of intellectual property and prevent others from passing it off as their own. PHEW! I hope that helps. =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ David Lapides david@specs-usa.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 17:58:20 -0400 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (A guy who happens to be cyber - cyberguy) Subject: First time. If this is a lame post, forgive me. This is my first time posting. Anyway, I just want to know what's going on with the TMBG site www.tmbg.com. I think it needs to be updated. It's already October. No one can find the S-E-X-X-Y single, but they said Sept 24 will be when it's released. It's not here. Has anyone managed to get a copy? I'm also hoping some people will visit my tmbg page. It doesn't have much on it, I'm only allowed to have 2m of space on my server. It's at http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/tmbg.html Please visit and tell me what you think. It's in need of an update, isn't it? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------ Son I am able she said,"Though you scare me". "Watch." said I. "Beloved," I said "Watch me scare you." Though, said she able am I son. TMBG *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------ ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Panacea Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:45:14 -0700 I may be wrong, but I thought JH does not contain the lyrics to AKA Nyquil Driver? At least in my insert it doesn't... so apparently they can't print it in the lyrics either... ---------- > From: Chris Bongaarts > To: superuprecht@juno.com > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Panacea > Date: Wednesday, October 02, 1996 11:43 AM > > In the immortal words of Ike L. Ruprecht: > > > As the story goes, you can say whatever you want about a product > >in a song or verse or whatever, but you cannot actually print it... It > > According to Linnell, you can sing and print it all you like in a > song, but you can't use it in the TITLE of the song. > > I'd imagine if they printed it, however, they would have to put the > tm's after NyQuil, and include the stddisclaimer at the bottom "NyQuil > is a registered trademark of so-and-so Corp." Maybe they wanted to > avoid all that clutter. > > obBTW: We're dealing with issues of trademarks, not copyrights, > here. VERRRRRY different subjects. > > ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu > Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab > Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) > GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V > PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 20:29:34 -0400 Subject: Ringing of bells interp. A couple of weeks ago people were posting interpretations for The Bells are Ringing and mentioned school, church etc. Personaly, although I've only heard the DAS version, I think it is referring to when you remember something and there's the saying that it "rings a bell". But what do you all think? nick ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: goodomenz? Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 21:02:18 -0400 (EDT) Heya Liz (Goodomenz) could you mail me please? Yes you from NYC 8-) Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 16:36:19 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: orders of albums Justin Higgins wrote: >Anyway, I'm just wondering if, had I heard the songs and albums in a >different order, would I have liked them as much? For instance, when I >first got A18 I played it for a friend, who wasn't really impressed. >Same thing for John Henry. I get the feeling that perhaps one of the >problems is that these last two albums, although they are still good >(especially A18), may not have had the same kind of power as an album >like Lincoln or maybe Flood to draw in more fans. The biggest TMBG fanatic I know, the immortal Scott, heard Apollo 18 first. It is his favorite album. A lot of TMBG fans don't like TMBG as much (myself excluded) and someone remarked that had they heard A18 first, they would not have been drawn as much to TMBG. My point is that if more of an "out-there" style ablum like A18 can hook you so much, then the other stuff that's really catchy (in general opinion) will make a greater impression on you then someone who just likes Flood. Sorry if that was confusing, I don't understand it myself. Sarah Cooke "Run, my little brother, run to the chicken farm. Oppurtunity is calling; you might even find a watch." ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 22:56:47 -0400 Subject: Re: orders of albums the first tmbg album i heard, was when i found an old copy of flood in my sisters room. i liked it so much, i went out and bought every other album. apollo 18 however, is my favorite album, followed by flood,lincoln,misc.t, and a tie between tmbg and john henry. i dont think it matters in what order you hear them,after a period of time, youll just realize which album is your favorite, then, it will be all good and yummy. jordan 8-) ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 00:20:33 -0400 Subject: Bootlegs? Hello 41- I have posted several messages today, a new thing for me, but here is what I was wondering... Does anybody have a copy of any of the shows at the Coronet Theater in Evanston IL, Last year? I realize now that those were really good shows, and I don't happen to have the tapes to any of them. I will more than compensate you... Adam ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 00:20:28 -0400 Subject: Florida shows Hello 41- Some of this is new, some is old. Old first At the Gainsville and Jacksonville shows, I will be carrying a red helium baloon and/or a Ukrainian flag (light blue on top, yellow on bottom). All listers and assorted squeezes are encouraged to join. It will be a rockin' good time. Possibly new- Directions- This comes from an ad for the Music Harvest. :To get to the Alachua Music Harvest take the Gainsville/Williston Exit from I-75. Go right to NE 39th Ave., then go right to Waldo Rd (S.R. 24) Follow the signs for the airport then follow the signs to the Alachua County fairgrounds. It seems TMBG at 1:00 in the morning is the time. Slated to come on before them are Crazy Larry & The Laughter, Landscaper, Jacuzzi Suit, Monz Venus, Sugardaddy, Gum Wrapper Curb, Sam RIvers Trio, The Semantics, The Fatty Teat Bags, Speech of Arrested Development, Home Style, What It Is, Mindwalk, Halcyon and finally TMBG There was a hint that Pearl Jam could be there Sunday, but I think it was a joke. Adam ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 00:20:31 -0400 Subject: Review Hello 41- I found this review, and thought it may be of interest. It is an okay review, and the first word is the q-word... Quirky sexy spy funk. Lullaby be-bop. Tribal folk 11th-president bio pop. Squeeze Mowtown. Happy jazzy men's choir dead guy homage. Soundtrack to the battle of XTC vs. Adam Ant. Madrigal bell canon. Ramonesy pop-carol. Proof that TMBG was at Edison's first recording session. All mixed in with the undeniable Birdhouse in your Ana Pallindrome revolving chatty chords and melodies coming at you at 78 rpm. As a full band, TMBG seems to have gotten through the confused encumbered identity search sorta mainstream stab and/or invisible astrological crash that bogged down their previous John Henry for me. Back are teh inventive and ironic arrangements taht trademarked their earlier well-loved releases (masterpieces to us fans whom I think will like this one better). Just to be sure, I played John Henry and Factory Showroom simultaneously, and I still liked Factory better. I can'ty really explain why, it just feels more like being at home with John and John. Interesting huh? Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-270 ******************************