Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-272 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 272 Saturday, 5 October 1996 Today's Topics: tmbg story (none) Boba Mail: Bass Tabs & DAS Re: FS Review A "Good" Album BOBA MAIL: S.E.X.X.Y. story Taste I Am Not Your Broom Personal Brit-query RE: I Am Not Your Broom TMBG new sound? FS lyrics on tmbg.com How Many Songs? Not 20? Re: TMBG new sound? tmbg on road rules Re: CMJ Review PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Why can't I get it??? Re: Why can't I get it??? John S. Hall Tour Dates Polk Re: Why can't I get it??? Re: Why can't I get it?? Re: TMBG review I need some help TMBG in Philly! = ) something weird.... Factory Showroom Reflections Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-271 They Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 02:41:58 +0600 From: Adam Subject: tmbg story Hey all, today when I went to my show (I'm a Theater Arts Major) the guys up in the booth were playing Flood. So I told them that if they were going to play They, they would have to turn it up. And they did. Then all the people who were on stage started rocking to the Giants. It was great!!! More people came in and started rocking, at least half the cast was there. Some of the people had never heard Them, but they loved it imediately!!! They wanted to know who we were listening to, and once they found out they said, "I'll have to get some of their stuff, they're really cool!" So we got more fans. Gotta love the power of They!! For those of you who are interested, the show we are doing is "Six Characters In Search of An Author" by Pirandello. It's a great show and we're having lots of fun with it. -Ecstatic A ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:13:58 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Two points: a) Factory Showroom is at first John Henryish, listen to it three times through and think about it again and you'll realize that TMBG is evolving into more of a rock band- but do not understand. A live band allows you to do more things and They are experimenting and I like it! The album is pretty complete, but too short. I think that's all I think about it. b) If you don't have the TMBG video bootleg #1 from Russ, GET IT! Thanks Russ, you've made me a very happy man.... -Josh Hamilton jwh@u.arizona.edu ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Ondrey" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 08:23:34 EST Subject: Boba Mail: Bass Tabs & DAS Good Morning. First of all, I would like to make a request. Any of you bass masters. I am very interested in the bass parts for 'SEXXY' and 'Snail Shell' If you could figure them out I would make it worth your while. Thanks. Secondly, Who is starting the next DAS compilation tape? I have: The Theme From The Edison Museum Rat Patrol (acapella Flans) Both of these are on tape. Write Me and let me know who needs them for the tape. THanks. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:00:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: FS Review Hideho! >Our campus newspaper ran a not-so-flattering review of Factory >Showroom today. Not to disparage the guy who wrote this article, he has the right to his opinion, but look what he said about TMBG: >When they were just two goofballs playing around in their >living room, they came up with those funny little songs, >like "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)." >However, the band does redeem itself with "New York >City," a love song about a cute girl they met there :) My credo (well, one of them, anyway) is: never trust a reviewer who can't figure out who writes the songs. >Why are we pissed at this guy? I mean, think about. he's obviously >not a fan of THEM. he gets paid to listen to an album and either >praise it or slam it. In this case he slammed it. All of you on this >list were scared that they were going to get popular. This is just a >sign that it's not mainstream material. So, let's not worry about it. >Instead just enjoy it. And those of you who think that this forbodes badly for Factory Showroom: remember that TMBG haven't really gotten reviews since the Lincoln era. Their Elektra records have all been recieved pretty lukewarmly. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:00:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: A "Good" Album Ruprecht: > A "good" album doesn't take getting used to. A good album is >packed with tracks that you like on the first listening. I'm not saying >just because you don't like it the first time go smash the CD. What I am >saying is, ask yourself, "do I like this music?" ask yourself "Am I just >saying to myself 'like this, damnit' because I've always classified tmbg >as my favourite band?" I just really want to get across how mindless it >is say you love something just because you loved something preceding it. I've had albums that I bought, didn't listen to for months because I didn't like them, and discovered later how wonderful they were. Everybody has. Music isn't something you can listen to once and instantly know if you like it. For one thing, on the first listen you're still "scoping out" the song -- hearing the melody and the lyrics, getting into the feel; you can't always tell whether it "clicks" or not...once you've done that and the song is at least vaguely familiar, you can start really getting into it. Some songs have enough texture, meaning, whatever, that you can completely bypass them for a while, then suddenly see what the big deal is. I mean, I certainly agree that to say "I like this CD just because it's TMBG" is ridiculous, stupid, and stubborn. But if you don't like it at first, make yourself listen some more. If you've liked everything else the band has done, I find it hard to believe that you'd hate this one. One thing, though, everybody: not everybody likes the album. Comments about how "stupid" or "inane" a reviewer who doesn't like it are just what Ruprecht's talking about. If the reviewer obviously didn't like TMBG from the start (in which case, he shouldn't be reviewing the album anyway) or if he just unreasonably bashes it without actually giving any good reason, fine. But if the reviewer just doesn't like it, deal. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield. They count the arms, | \--the legs, the heads, and then divide by five." - They Might Be Giants--/ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:11:42 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL: S.E.X.X.Y. story Here's a little story from NH, PA. I called the local non-commercial radio station (WYEP) and asked the gentlemen if they had the new They Might Be Giants. He, sortof a Giants fan replied 'We got the single. I haven't heard it yet though.' I was exctatic and said 'Please, please, please.' Later it came on (I taped it of course) and after it, the Giant friendly D.J. said, 'Um, That was the new one from They Might Be Giants. Wow. Hmm. That's an, uh, hmm, different sound than I remember from those guys. Guess we'll have to see what the whole album sounds like, that's out [soon.]' I was laughing so hard. The cool disco sounds of the song caught me by surprise though. I was expecting it to be the same as when I heard it live. But then, it would have sorta sucked for a studio recording. I don't know. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey "Matt, you're a very insightful person, but get your fucking face out of my oatmeal." - My sister, Lisa boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog2.htm ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Taste Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:58:28 -0400 (EDT) hehe looking at the tmbg.com page (totally rockin!) I find that it says at the A Tste of DC fest, they are playing on the 12 STREET stage, not the 12th stage hehehehe, kinda funny Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:07:06 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: I Am Not Your Broom A final desperate effort by a band teetering on the precipice to become MTV's next video darling of the month? Nope! But after watching this clip, I just can't contain myself, so here's another in the growing list of recommendations to go check out the new-and-improved website NOW! http://www.tmbg.com/ See what the fuss is all about - you'll be glad you did! m@t "I liked it - it was much better than www.Cats.com. I'm going to browse it again and again..." ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: Personal Brit-query Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:43:34 +0100 (BST) Hello! Sorry to bore everyone else's time with this, but I was wondering if Tin and Fritz from Staffs Uni are still around, could they please mail me? Or am I now all alone up here in the wilds of Northern England? What a concept. On a more sombre note: while all you Americans are enjoying (and quite rightly too!) your nice, shiny new Factory Showrooms, spare just a tiny thought for us Brits. Who, as yet, cannot. Nor do we have any idea when we can.... (not a moan, just a statement of yuckky fact.) Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 16:54:40 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: I Am Not Your Broom This clip is hilareous, well worth the download. I'd like to force 120 minutes to play this! ;-) Andreas ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org on behalf of Matthew Coon Sent: Friday, October 04, 1996 11:07 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: I Am Not Your Broom A final desperate effort by a band teetering on the precipice to become MTV's next video darling of the month? Nope! But after watching this clip, I just can't contain myself, so here's another in the growing list of recommendations to go check out the new-and-improved website NOW! http://www.tmbg.com/ See what the fuss is all about - you'll be glad you did! m@t "I liked it - it was much better than www.Cats.com. I'm going to browse it again and again..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jan 1980 10:17:48 -0800 From: kathleen jo faulconer Subject: TMBG new sound? Hey you guys are scaring me!! From some of the posts I have read it sounds like Factory Showroom is very different from what we are used to. More of a Rock band...hard to relate to etc. Have I got the right impression? I hope not! When were TMBG accessable to the masses anyway? Most people that I know can't stand Them! Sound like fingernails on a blackboard...No two songs sound like the same band.... the lyrics are WIERD!.... I, for one, hope that they are still all those things! The cleverness and intelligence of TMBG is what some of us appreciate most. It is like having a wonderful secret that other people are just not in on. I would hate to think that They have gone "commercial"! I hope that it this is just a case of initial dissapointment because the old stuff is so familiar. I think this happens to us every time. Then we grow to love the latest work. We have not heard any of the new songs. PLEASE tell me that They still basically have the same feel as in the past! Have They gotten SERIOUS or something? Waiting it out, kathy rocket88@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ Subject: FS lyrics on tmbg.com Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 12:23:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts So I'm reading through the FS lyrics on the new web site, and find this in "Spiralling Shape": Put out your hands and you fall through the window And clawing at nothing you drop through the void And even while screaming and writhing you reach for the Spiraling one that would let you be free These last two lines do not appear to be the same as on the album, which sounds more like: The terrified screams are inaudible, drowing... Note 2: it seems the trademark issue has reared its ugly head, as the lyrics for "Till My Head Falls Off" are not included - coincidentally, the trademark "Advil" is used twice in the first verse. Also unincluded is "New York City", since it isn't Their lyrics to print. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 16:09:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: How Many Songs? Not 20? Ben or Been here. I wonder why so few songs appear on this new TMBG album. I mean, on their earlier stuff, we're talking about albums of nearly twenty songs, and now we have, what, thirteen or what? Whatever the number, we don't have nearly as much new material to digest from TMBG. Why why why? Love, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 16:00:11 -0400 From: John Drauss Subject: Re: TMBG new sound? kathleen jo faulconer wrote: > > Hey you guys are scaring me!! > > >From some of the posts I have read it sounds like > Factory Showroom is very different from what we are > used to. More of a Rock band...hard to relate to etc. Have I > got the right impression? I hope not! > > When were TMBG accessable to the masses anyway? > Most people that I know can't stand Them! Sound like fingernails > on a blackboard...No two songs sound like the same band.... > the lyrics are WIERD!.... > I, for one, hope that they are still all those things! > The cleverness and intelligence of TMBG is what some of us > appreciate most. It is like having a wonderful secret that > other people are just not in on. > I would hate to think that They have gone "commercial"! > > I hope that it this is just a case of initial dissapointment > because the old stuff is so familiar. I think this happens to > us every time. Then we grow to love the latest work. We have not > heard any of the new songs. PLEASE tell me that They still basically > have the same feel as in the past! > Have They gotten SERIOUS or something? > > Waiting it out, > kathy > rocket88@ix.netcom.com I've heard the album and can personally guarantee that the bulk of the fans will like FS. The main differences that I can pick out is it's a more loosely produced. There's a sloppiness about it, but it's a good sloppy. The second difference is the absence of horns so prominently featured on the last album. And third, there's a lot more synth/electric sounds. And fourth, there's quite a bit violin, cello in there. john ------------------------------ From: "JOHANNA JONES" Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:43:11 CST Subject: tmbg on road rules OH MY!!!!!!!!!! I was watching Road Rules awhile back ( yes, I get my share of mtv. here come the flames. forgive me, i know not what i do.) They were in New ORleans and they went to some place to meet some people. Well, if you ever engage is such entertainment, you will know that they put music that fits the theme of the situation on these shows. So that doesn't jusitfy this at all anyway, but to get to my point. HOTEL DETECTIVE was being played in the backround! What are the odds!? Well, that's just my story for now. I;m sorry it's random and confusing, but I just thought of it spontaneously while I was reading the list. I don't know, I found it ammusing I remeber, I think it wa kind of odd really, but anyway. I found someone here that is going to accompany me to the Giants on the 24! There is a God! That's all for now. WHOA TYPOS! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 17:06 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: CMJ Review >>"S-E-X-X-Y" is a funk parody with hysterical swooping >>disco strings; > >Oh, yeah. I thought "Funny" when I first heard "S-E-X-X-Y," how bout all of >you? Um, hysterical doesn't have to mean "funny," does it? just wondering, Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:03:43 -0400 Subject: PLEASE HELP ME!!!! a while back i asked for help, because i cant get anywhere on the web site, since no one helped me, im asking again..... HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEEAAASSEEE!!!!!!!!! as a fellow giants fan, please help me!! i cant go anywhere on the site!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:08:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Why can't I get it??? The new tmbg.com sounds wonderful, and it looks ok to me too, but when I go there I get the home page and the indexes, but the links on the index (eg."albums" or "t shirts" in the catalogue index) I can't get. the little mouse pointer won't turn into a little hand in Netscape, showing that there are links there. What's going on? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it my internet provider? Is it because I'm in Canada? Is anyone else on Sympatico? I'm desperate! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:51:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: Why can't I get it??? On Fri, 4 Oct 1996 Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > AAAAAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH. didnt you read the 2 postings i put up in the list???? > whenever i try and go to something in the website, it says "failed to parse > http your request does not appear to be properly formed" > help!!!!! > Do you actually get little links to the things? (the little arrow turns into a hand) and then you click there and then you get that message? Cause when I click nothing happens at all. Maybe somebody kind out there who knows lots about WWW and Netscape knows what that message means. I hope so, because I've been so desperate to get the kind of info that's supposed to be on this new page, since the last time I got and info club letter. (A Long, Long time ago) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 18:05:30 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: John S. Hall Tour Dates Hello friends. I hope nobody minds, but I have to publicise this. John S. Hall just sent me a press release and upcoming tour dates and I wanted to let you all know about them in case you might want to check him out, which I think you should. So here goes, and as usual if anyone tapes these shows I will want to know about it. Thanks. Mike. JOHN S. HALL - ROGER MANNING FALL 1996 U.S. TOUR John S. Hall (of King Missile) and solo indie rocker Roger Manning are teaming up for a Fall U.S. Tour. John's set will alternate between spoken word, and songs with Manning on guitar. Roger will deliver a set of fairly loud, rhythmic, wordy, compelling solo rock. JOHN S. HALL John S. Hall has performed and/or read his work all over the United States, as well as London, Germany, and The Netherlands. He has recorded some 75 spoken word pieces with music on seven albums, mostly as vocalist and lyricist for the band, KING MISSILE, and KING MISSILE (DOG FLY RELIGION). John appeared in the PBS special, THE UNITED STATES OF POETRY, which aired in February, as well as an MTV "Spoken Word Unplugged" segment. A collection of his work, entitled "Jesus Was Way Cool," has just been published by Soft Skull press, and a selection of his work will be featured in a poetry anthology to be published by St. Martin's Press next spring. John recorded a number of independent records and three albums with KING MISSILE for Atlantic, including "Happy Hour," which spawned the Beavis and Butthead faves "Detachable Penis," and "Martin Scorsese." A new solo album, entitled "The Body Has a Head," features John with a violinist and a cellist, and was released in Europe this September. ROGER MANNING Roger Manning is a veteran of the New York City lower east side creative scene. He has toured the U.S. and Europe consistently since 1989 seeking to satisfy his need to rock with pounding rhythms, "agressive imagery," and often ridiculous volume levels from his over pumped-by-an-equalizer throbbing "acoustic" guitars and magic distortion box telecaster. In 1995, the new Moll label in Germany released Roger's new 14 song CD which features a full band nicely captured on 4-track porta-studios in various NYC apartments (a late winter U.S. release is planned). It received a four star review in German Rolling Stone and a very positive response in Spex. Other releases include: "Roger Manning" (Shimmy Disc); "Roger Manning" (SST); "Blues Words"(spoken word book); "Joe Folk and the Soho Valey Boys-Missile Foundation" (noise/spoken word album-109 Records); and "Short Sharp Shook" (cassette-Roger Records). OCT Tue 08 Boston-Landsdowne St. Playhouse Wed 09 Buffalo-Mohawk Bar Thu 10 Dayton-Canal St. Tavern Fri 11 Flint,MI-Local 432 Sun 13 Madison-Okayze Corral Mon 14 Iowa City-Gabes' Wed 16 Minneapolis-7th St. Entry Thu 17 Chicago-Empty Bottle Sat 19 Columbia,MO-Musice Cafe Sun 20 Boulder-t.b.a. Wed 23 Bozeman-Zebra Below Thu 24 Missoula-Jay's Bar Sun 27 Seattle-OK Hotel Mon 28 Portland-Thee O Tue 29 Eugene-Sam Bond's Garage NOV Fri 01 San Francisco-t.b.a. Sat O2 San Francisco-t.b.a. Sun 03 Los Angeles-Alligator Lounge Mon 04 Los Angeles-t.b.a. Wed 06 Herkimer, NY-Herkimer College (JSH only) Wed 13& Fri 15th-Montreal-t.b.a. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 18:13:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, from Totonot" Subject: Polk I was watching Seinfeld last night and there was, much to my surprise, a James K. Polk reference. Now, I thought precious few have mourned the passing of James K. Polk. There MUST be a TMBG fan on the writing staff of Seinfeld cause this stuff doesn't just happen. Maybe we should all start taking a closer look at the show, maybe there's more TMBG references hidden away in there. Or I might be mad. By the way I will be leaving my home and going elsewhere for one week beginning tomorrow. I will switch to digest until I return. I will miss all of you, but it's something I have to do. See you when I get back. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:16:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: Why can't I get it??? At 05:08 PM 10/4/96 -0400, you wrote: >The new tmbg.com sounds wonderful, and it looks ok to me too, but when I=20 >go there I get the home page and the indexes, but the links on the index=20 >(eg."albums" or "t shirts" in the catalogue index) I can't get. the=20 >little mouse pointer won't turn into a little hand in Netscape, showing=20 >that there are links there. What's going on? Has anyone else had this=20 >problem? Is it my internet provider? Is it because I'm in Canada? Is anyone= =20 >else on Sympatico?=20 > >I'm desperate! > >-Sean Mootrey. Okay, it sounds to me like you have an older version of Netscape that doesn't support client side image maps, so you need to go to http://www.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/client_download.html and get Netscape= 3.0 There is an easy way to fix it, so does anyone know the e-mail address to send suggestions to? Is it webmaster@tmbg.com ? --- Hexagon /=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF Braham= Ketcham =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF\ | http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon/ | | "I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink. I'm so tired, my mind is on | | the blink." -- The Beatles | \____________________ hexagon@salamander.com _______________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 18:28:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Birdlace Subject: Re: Why can't I get it?? I don't know why the links aren't working, but you can kind of find things by replacing "index" in the address with whatever you are trying to get to, ie: http://www.tmbg.com/fidelity/index.html to get to the letters part, try typing in letters or letter ek ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 16:48:27 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: TMBG review >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS / Factory Showroom / Elektra > >I have no idea if They Might Be Giants have any intention of breaking up >any time soon, but Factory Showroom might be a good place to call it a day >- to quit while they're still, barely, ahead. "I'm not dead/And I won't be >'till my head falls off," one of the Johns sings (12 years on, it's still >impossible to tell Linnell and Flansburgh apart). But the quicksilver wit >and unstoppable melodies of their early records are increasingly replaced >by bludgeoning rock arrangements and unfunny whimsy ("XTC vs. Adam Ant/The >future will decide"). They get points for covering Cub's "New York City," >but lose them again for neutering the song's dizzy sexiness. And too many >of their own songs here are the kind of half-a-joke knockoffs they used to >stick on singles as bonus tracks - which, even more ominously, is where two >of them first showed up, years ago. Still, parts of Factory Showroom >incandesce brightly. "S-E-X-X-Y" is a funk parody with hysterical swooping >disco strings; "I Can Hear You," recorded on Thomas Edison's original >wax-cylinder equipment, is an elegantly condensed meditation on the history >of lo-fi voice-transmitting equipment ("I can supersize that/Please bring >your car around"). The reccord closes with "The Bells Are Ringing," a >classic TMBG combination of rapid-fire patter, snare drum and >tinntinabulation. Clever, clean and sad, it sounds like the end of >something, and if we're lucky, maybe it is. DOUGLAS WOLK If were lucky its the end of They Might Be Giants? Is this guy a raving lunatic or what!!!! Just my thoughts, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "Never try and teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig." - Mark Twain ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Aaron Stephen Kohlbeck Subject: I need some help Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 18:54:14 CDT Hello again. By some stroke of extremem luck on my part, I got a *free* advance copy of FS (listening to it right now as a matter of fact) just for saying that I would review it for the paper I work for (which is kind of funny considering that I do the web page for them and have nothing to do with entertainment). Anyway, I know that the RA version is out there on the net, but has anyone put the lyrics for FS out there? That would be so cool to get if they are out there. One other thing. While checking out www.tmbg.org I saw that there were *14* tracks listed for FS. Why is that? My copy only has 13 tracks. Is this a typo or was a new track added? Thanks. Aaron -- Aaron Kohlbeck M&MC Consultant everlast@cs.wisc.edu Badger Herald Web Editor kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu CAE Consultant http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck All Around Nice Guy Today's happiness caused by: Took longer to comment program 1 than to write it ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 20:16:46 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG in Philly! = ) Hi TMBG'ers! This is cortney, how are ya! I just got back from TIcket Master, and in my pocket is a shiny new TMBG ticket for the Philly show at the Electric Factory!!! I was just curious as to which other listers will also be in attendace to this show. I know that Matt and Nola will be there...anyone else? Let me know, we should definitely meet up! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:39:49 -0400 Subject: something weird.... whenever i think of what dial a song will be played, or the song pops in my head, i call dial a song and the song plays!!! during dinner, i was talking to my dad about "the edison museum",when we get home, im humming it in my head, i call DAS and...its on!!!!!! i was shocked. earlier today, i was singing the bells are ringing, i call das, its on!!!! i cant remember every example, but this has happened MANY other times. do they have a phycic link with my brain????? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 00:29:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: Factory Showroom Reflections This is just a quick summary of my reflections on the album after listening to it a number of times over RealAudio (I've been getting great quality the last few times....no lost packets or anything). In general, I'd have to say that this is a pretty good album, somewhere between Lincoln and Flood in terms of where it seems to fit in terms of quality and quirkiness. I'd have to say that the album is a significant improvement over John Henr, mainly because John Henry just had too many songs that I was never really able to get into. Now, onto the individual songs: (according to tmbg.org, this album's first song is The Token Back to Brooklyn, which I remember from DAS....it isn't on the RealAudio album, but if it is on the real album, I'd just say this is a very funny song). S-E-X-X-Y: Well, the sound is great. Its yet more proof that TMBG are very versatile in different styles of music. I'd have to say that the lyrics aren't particularly interesting, and don't seem to beg too much interpretation....I can see that this has to do with genetics, but there aren't the same number of puns as in their other science songs, like Dinner Bell. Until My Head Falls Off: Pretty catchy (especially after the second time I heard it). However, again, the lyrics kind of leave something to be desired. How Can I Sing Like a Girl?: This is one of the songs I heard at a VA concert in June, and I still think it is great, both because of the creative lyrics and catchy, original tune. Exquisit Dead Guy: This is one of my favorite songs from the album. I rank it up there with classic TMBG, like Birdhouse, Don't Lets Start, Ana Ng, etc. The voice only chorus thing they do is really cool. Its nice to see that TMBG is continuing to branch into new areas of music. Metal Detector: Pretty good rockish kind of song, and pretty good, if obvious lyrics. If it has a meaning to be interpreted, I haven't found it out yet. New York City: Well, its a cover. As it is, I think some of TMBG's other covers, such as Whirlpool, were better. Not bad though. Your Own Worst Enemy: I like this one...kind of reminds me of My Evil Twin, one of my favorites from A18. XTC vs. Adam Ant: This is also one of the best songs on the album in my opinion. Its up there with songs like Spider in terms of telling a whole story, and yet being really cool. And its a great song besides. Spiraling Shape: I also like this one a lot....a very happy tune at first listen, one of the better songs in the category of songs like Particle Man, TMBG (the song), Sleeping in the Flowers. Also reminds me of Whirlpool in a way. James K. Polk: I had already heard this one from the Istanbul EP, and I am glad they made it available to people who wouldn't normally be able to find the EP. In a way, this might even be a better version than the earlier recording. Considering that there was room for another 32 minutes on the album, its too bad that they couldn't include some other songs that were really good, like Stormy Pinkness, Welcome to the Jungle, Ant, etc. Hopfully they'll all show up on Superfueled Freaksicle. Pet Name: Pretty funky sound. Doesn't quite stick with me for some reason. Not bad though. Just doesn't seem quite TMBGish. I Can Hear You: I just think this is a good song, and was especially appropriate as a choice for recording on an old wax cylinder. Btw, one of the negative reviews identified one of the instruments as a French Horn, but I would assume it is a tuba (also from the pictures taken at the session). Can anyone verify if TMBG used any French Horns? The Bells Are Ringing: This song is great....perhaps THE best on the album. Great lyrics, and a very nice melody. All in all, a pretty darned good album. I can tell that when I buy it, I will be very pleased with listening through the whole way. As it is, I usually don't listen to John Henry because there are too many songs I just don't enjoy. One person mentioned about how if your reaction is "I've got to like this, cause its TMBG" maybe it isn't so great. This was my primary reaction the first time I listened to John Henry, but not so with FS. If one were to compare TMBG with the Beatles, I'd say this corresponds pretty well with Revolver...both great albums, and both opening the door to a masterpiece album. If that is the case, then TMBG fans can definately be looking forward to albums on the same scale as Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 01:20:18 -0400 From: Gautam Peri Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-271 To Joey: >Why are we pissed at this guy? I mean, think about. he's obviously >not a fan of THEM. he gets paid to listen to an album and either >praise it or slam it. In this case he slammed it. All of you on this >list were scared that they were going to get popular. This is just a >sign that it's not mainstream material. So, let's not worry about it. >Instead just enjoy it. What you've said makes sense. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this reviewer is a big Alanis Morrisette fan...anyway. But my main complaint with reviewers is that they love to categorize without really paying attention to what they're categorizing. Any band that uses distortion and plays fairly straight-ahead rock is automatically a Pearl Jam or Live sound-alike, especially if the lyrics are actually saying something (i.e. Verve Pipe). As for They, even Flans has said that being called weird and quirky is their "cross to bear," but at least critics should give them a fair shot before dismissing them as trying and pretentious. Whatever, that's enough on that. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I don't know what to believe, sometimes I even forget...And if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it..." -Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip in "Gift Shop" Gautam Peri, Economics (Yes, really), Rutgers University http://mars.superlink.net/peri +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 01:13:44 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: They I noticed people are having problems with tmbg.com. i got there fine, but after i read Linnell's letters i tried to go "back" and a message came on saying an illegal operation had been performed. when i tried to keep going it said a fatal Netscape error had occured, so i had to re-boot the system. what up wit dis page? i've had Their first album and Misc. T. for about 2 months now, and i have to say "what great albums they are". One thing Their full band sound is lacking are all the goofy creative sound effects like in Their earlier stuff(especially screaming people sounds). one thing i noticed on the pink album is that John F.'s songs have no electric guitar(besides Hotel D.). now almost every song he sings does. i guess that goes along with the whole "rock star Flansburgh" thing. i still don't get why They released Hotel Detective as a single, though. That might be my least favorite song by Them ever. Even Hot Cha is better. it's terribly cheesy; i think it's a goof on the whole 80's "big hair"(as i like to call it) band scene. Those bands just sucked. tmbg.com is great, despite it's mishaps. i can't believe all the vinyl one can order...i'm gettin it all. can't wait for Factory Showroom. I predict all nightmare people will like it. -Chakka "So be good, for goodness sake. Whoaaoooh, somebody's comin'". -Bill Murray, "Ghostbusters" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-272 ******************************